Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252919 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6100 on: December 25, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »
Boss: Are you going to take your baby [~6 months] to get a photo with Santa?
CW: I don't know, it's pretty expensive.
Boss: I heard that X mall is charging only $35.
CW: Oh, maybe I'll go there then.

!!!! So how the hell much does it usually cost to get a Santa photo? People are crazy.
Whah? It used to be $5 about 10 years ago....

GatorNation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6101 on: December 26, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
I think my story wins.

I'm an attorney and have been working at the same firm for over 5 years now.  About a year ago, my hired a fresh out of law school lawyer, who had no experience whatsoever (I was this new lawyer's direct superior).  Most of his day consisted of driving to court in the morning, driving back to the office and working in the office until 6pm (the firm reimbursed him all expenses).  This guy was anti-mustachian as they get.  He would party all night at the clubs, had fancy clothes, and confessed to me that he had about $110,000 in student loans.  He would always complain about not having enough money and how he hates having so much debt.

One day we start talking about finances, and he confesses to me that his very sporty 2012 Nissan 370z has about $10,000 of equity.  He then told me that he was sick of making monthly car payments and was going to trade in the car for something more economical.  I advised him to sell the car, and use the equity to buy himself a lightly used car for no more than $8,000.  He agreed with what I say and he tells me that he is going to sell his car and buy a new one over the weekend.

Monday comes around, and he drives up on a brand new Dodge Camaro.  He quickly says "I got a great deal on the car.  I sold my Nissan to the dealership, leased this one, and I wont have to make any payments on the lease for 1 year!"  All I could do was bite my tongue and say that I felt happy for him.  I asked him "what happened with buying a lightly used car" and he says "there is no way I could drive a used car, have you seen how awesome my Camaro is?"  Of course, everyone in the office is praising him for his great purchase and everyone keeps telling him how jealous they are of him.

Later that same day, he comes into my office and tells me that he can no longer drive to court every day because his lease has a 12,000 mile yearly limit.  I, of course, told him that he knew very well before he got his new lease that he would have to drive on a daily basis to court, and that it was made very clear to him when he took the job that there would be a lot of driving.  He said he understood and walked out of my office.

For the next couple of weeks, instead of driving his new lease, he would borrow a car from a friend, parent, or sibling to go to court so that he didn't put miles on his new lease.  He once asked me if he could borrow my car to go to court since I owned my car outright and didn't have to worry about the miles on it (lol I laughed to this face).  Eventually, he started complaining to the other attorneys about all the driving he was doing and how much he would have to probably pay in fees to the car dealer for going over his yearly mileage limit. 

On a Monday, about a month after leasing his car, he tells me that he would no longer be able to drive to court, and that I didn't understand his financial situation and how all the driving is making him broke.  I said "I understand", so I let him stay in the office for the remainder of the week.  I quickly told the head partner about my conversation with my co-worker and the partner almost had a heart attack.  On Friday of that same week, the parter walks into my co-worker's office and fires him on the spot.

Not only did his decision to lease a brand new car cost him a lot of $$, but it cost him his job.  My ex co-worker is now working at another firm, which pays about half what my firm was paying him, and has a terrible overall reputation.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #6102 on: December 26, 2014, 01:14:38 PM »
^^^

Sad! :(

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6103 on: December 26, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »
Most of his day consisted of driving to court in the morning, driving back to the office and working in the office until 6pm (the firm reimbursed him all expenses).

But, shouldn't "all expenses" include mileage penalties on car leases??? :)

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6104 on: December 26, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
Not only did his decision to lease a brand new car cost him a lot of $$, but it cost him his job.  My ex co-worker is now working at another firm, which pays about half what my firm was paying him, and has a terrible overall reputation.

What an awful and amusing story. I'll be the guy still can't have a sweet Camaro mullet working at a law firm.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6105 on: December 26, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »

What an awful and amusing story. I'll be the guy still can't have a sweet Camaro mullet working at a law firm.

Camaro  ownership requires three things. Mullet, motley crew played constantly at loud as possible volume, and cruising around guzzling cheap gas station beer while chain smoking marbalo reds.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #6106 on: December 26, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »
I have one related to Christmas gifts.

At work, I saw a CW ask around for an empty PS4. I asked her what it was for and she said her kid was into XBOX but they were going to put the PS4 box.... With a Macbook in it. They also had an XBOX to give AFTER all gifts. And the kid is only 7.... I was like wow!! At 7, I'd be happy with one gift... Not demand more. And she said, her kids usually have meltdowns after all gifts are opened since they sometimes don't get all they want. Apparently in earlier years, they've had to go to stores to buy those missing gifts on or after Christmas day. Now my cw and husband get everything but give the "missing" gifts when meltdowns start. If the kids dont do a meltdown, they still get those gifts for being good throughout the day. She said she spent around $3k per kid. Took me some time to get through all of this.
Isn't them buying the gifts after the meltdowns reinforcing the meltdowns? (i.e. there is a reward for having a melt down).  It sounds to me there is a child-rearing/discipline problem...

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6107 on: December 27, 2014, 11:08:56 AM »
I think my story wins.

Yes, I think it does.  Holy hell.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6108 on: December 27, 2014, 11:22:55 AM »
So - candidate for most expensive car purchase ever there GatorNation.  Can't even wrap my head around the cost of cratering a legal career over a car.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6109 on: December 27, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »
Thanks for the story Gator.

But it's not a sweet Camero, it's a Bitchin' Camero!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6110 on: December 27, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »

I ran over my neighbor.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #6111 on: December 27, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

On topic: my in-laws moved 10 blocks away from me to be closer to the grandkids. They ROUTINELY drive those 10 blocks. Not only that, they bought an SUV "to make it easier to fit the carseats". They drive my kids places MAYBE once a month.

I can beat that! My aunts live on the same block, literally one house between them. One sister routinely uses the golf cart to go visit. Once I saw her back it out of the driveway to get the mail, then pull it in again.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6112 on: December 27, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »
I hear this all the time from co-workers, my mom, past girlfriends, etc.

"I bought (XYZ useless crap) and it was on sale for (XYZ stupid amount).  It normally costs (XYZ even dumber amount) so I saved (imaginary money)!!!"

Me - No you didn't save anything.  No one wanted it at the higher price, thats why it was on sale.  You paid full price for (WTF is that?)!  If you didn't buy it at all... thats saving money.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6113 on: December 27, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »

"I bought (XYZ useless crap) and it was on sale for (XYZ stupid amount).  It normally costs (XYZ even dumber amount) so I saved (imaginary money)!!!"

Me - No you didn't save anything.  No one wanted it at the higher price, thats why it was on sale.  You paid full price for (WTF is that?)!  If you didn't buy it at all... thats saving money.

Welcome to Kohl's.  I hate when they say how much you "saved" when they hand over the receipt.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6114 on: December 27, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »

There's a great quote from a car salesman in the documentary Slasher...

"If there is a pile of shit on the side of the road with a sign that says "For Sale $1,000,000" and later they put up a sign that says, "For Sale $1", people will buy the shit."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6115 on: December 27, 2014, 06:24:06 PM »

commodore perry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6116 on: December 27, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »

for some reason that made me think of this video - one of the funniest things I've watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78kHCUgY6kM

givemesunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6117 on: December 27, 2014, 07:41:09 PM »
So, I just finished reading all 127 pages of this thread! I skimmed some of the foam. I am still regularly open mouthed shocked at some of my co-workers behaviour/lack of action.

My workplace will pay 12.75% into Super (Australian Pension Fund) if we contribute 5% - but you can choose to reduce your percentage contribution (down to 2%). This results in a reduction from the employer of the same percentage - so I contribute 5% plus 12.75% = 17.75%, many of my workmates are at the minimum 2% plus 9.75% = 11.75% - to me a huge difference! This is to get 'extra' in their pay packet (not one person in my office earns less than $70K AUD).

Also, the standard set up is to pay Super contributions post-tax, it requires filling in one form to make those payments pre-tax and thus increasing your take home pay due to reducing your taxable income (or you can match your take home pay and put extra into Super). Perfectly legal, easy and a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Not so 50% of my workmates - 'too much hassle', 'dodgy', 'doesn't make sense'.

Crazy.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6118 on: December 27, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
I think my story wins.

The best part is that no one has pointed out yet that Camaros are Chevy, not Dodge. Loves this story!!!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6119 on: December 28, 2014, 03:30:13 AM »
Wow gator, that story takes the cake.

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #6120 on: December 28, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »
I used to work at a tourist trap attraction on the Las Vegas Strip for a few years.  In 2011, a co-worker of mine wins the anti-mustachian award:

Due to previous DUIs, he was car-less and had been taking the bus to work (he lived in a weekly hotel rental).  He managed to save a few thousand dollars over a six month period.  He confessed to me he had 50k in student loans in default, but decided a car purchase was his priority.  I urged him to purchase an old beater, but that was "beneath him."  Somehow he managed to secure financing for a brand new Corolla with payment north of $500 monthly.  I weep.  Within 3 months of owning the car he gets another DUI; however, that's not the fun part.  While waiting for his court date, he totals his car by drunkenly smashing into a light post while driving across the parking lot of his weekly hotel rental to buy cigarettes at a convenient store that was in the same parking lot.  I wish I had that on video. 

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #6121 on: December 28, 2014, 05:42:05 PM »
Wow - is there any brand of stupid that guy hasn't signed up for?

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6122 on: December 28, 2014, 05:51:34 PM »
I think my story wins.

The best part is that no one has pointed out yet that Camaros are Chevy, not Dodge. Loves this story!!!

I noticed, but the mullet was still present in my mind even if the guy had a Charger instead of a Camaro.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6123 on: December 28, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
I used to work at a tourist trap attraction on the Las Vegas Strip for a few years.  In 2011, a co-worker of mine wins the anti-mustachian award:

Due to previous DUIs, he was car-less and had been taking the bus to work (he lived in a weekly hotel rental).  He managed to save a few thousand dollars over a six month period.  He confessed to me he had 50k in student loans in default, but decided a car purchase was his priority.  I urged him to purchase an old beater, but that was "beneath him."  Somehow he managed to secure financing for a brand new Corolla with payment north of $500 monthly.  I weep.  Within 3 months of owning the car he gets another DUI; however, that's not the fun part.  While waiting for his court date, he totals his car by drunkenly smashing into a light post while driving across the parking lot of his weekly hotel rental to buy cigarettes at a convenient store that was in the same parking lot.  I wish I had that on video.

This is like if Faberge did a beautiful easter egg diorama miniature of anti-mustachianism.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #6124 on: December 28, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
A bit of a long story:

Co-worker has been working part-time at a gig she found on craigslist. It involved gathering data about businesses online. The company will then use this data to create some kind of website ( this is pretty vague to keep privacy and also becaus ethat is about as much as I could figure out). there are about 10-20 other "team members" doing this around the world and they are getting paid only in stock (not a public company). now that data acquisition is over he told me that the initial investor has backed out but that a new investor has taken his place. They are now being offered a chance to buy more stock in the company.

CW: I think we should buy some more, its only $1/share.
Me: That doesn't mean anything. how much is the company worth? what is their business plan? how many shares are there?
CW: i dont know, but $1 is pretty cheap. I think it will go to at least $10/share when they go live.
Me: why do you think it will do that?
CW: I just have a feeling. You should think about buying some as well, I know you are into investing.
Me: (giving up) yeah I guess i will have to think about it.

I keep trying to talk her out of it but I fear she doesn't even know enough to be worried. I have a tough time even finding where to start since there are so many problems with this situation.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6125 on: December 28, 2014, 09:14:13 PM »
My workplace will pay 12.75% into Super (Australian Pension Fund) if we contribute 5% - but you can choose to reduce your percentage contribution (down to 2%). This results in a reduction from the employer of the same percentage - so I contribute 5% plus 12.75% = 17.75%, many of my workmates are at the minimum 2% plus 9.75% = 11.75% - to me a huge difference! This is to get 'extra' in their pay packet (not one person in my office earns less than $70K AUD).

Also, the standard set up is to pay Super contributions post-tax, it requires filling in one form to make those payments pre-tax and thus increasing your take home pay due to reducing your taxable income (or you can match your take home pay and put extra into Super). Perfectly legal, easy and a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Not so 50% of my workmates - 'too much hassle', 'dodgy', 'doesn't make sense'.

Crazy.
I know! I'm in the same boat, although it did take me a year to finally start contributing pre-tax. I mentioned this to some others, that I was so dumb that it took me a whole year... Some had been teachers for nearly 10 years without doing this.. What?!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6126 on: December 29, 2014, 06:35:55 AM »
John, have her watch the first 45 minutes or so of The Wolf of Wall Street. She might not even have to watch that much. **Parental advisory for adult content**

It seems we've zeroed in on poster vehicles for the anti-mustachian man:
the bitchin' leased Dodge Camaro
the Ferd Super Duty truck with an 8-ball license plate

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6127 on: December 29, 2014, 06:51:18 AM »
Sigh.  We had a holiday party that our department was asked to make a basket for raffling off less than a week prior.  I and one other person said no, we don't have money.  The other three did it anyway.  Fine, whatever.  But then one of them won a basket and when he was told how that was so lucky he responded with yea, I only have $5 in my account, I only seem to win things when I am desperate. 

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6128 on: December 29, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »
Welcome to Kohl's.  I hate when they say how much you "saved" when they hand over the receipt.

Kohl's drives me absolutely batty. I've never had to do that much math to buy socks before.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6129 on: December 29, 2014, 07:50:59 AM »
My wife's family came to visit for the holidays:

conversation turned to saving for retirement...

cousin: At my last job (accounting) I got a 7% 401k match, so I put in the full 7% in to get the free money.
me: That's great.
cousin:  They had a stock sharing plan too, so  I used all that money to invest in the company.
my brain: (OMG that's terrible!)
cousin: I sold it when I left the company, and they ended up doing really well so it all worked out for me though. 
cousin: School is really expensive though, so I had to use it to pay for that.
me: You mean you took a loan out against it?
cousin: No, I was able to cash it all in without penalty to pay for school.

She is 30 years old and going to school for fashion design. 

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #6130 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:16 AM »

cousin: At my last job (accounting) I got a 7% 401k match, so I put in the full 7% in to get the free money.
cousin:  They had a stock sharing plan too, so  I used all that money to invest in the company.
cousin: I sold it when I left the company, and they ended up doing really well so it all worked out for me though. 

While I can't say anything about going to school for fashion design, the rest of the choices there don't sound that terrible.

The last job I had had an Employee Stock Purchase Plan that was a better deal than even 401k matching. I maxed it out and sold it all off the minute it cleared my account and I profited 10k in free money (only risk was that the price of the stock would go down more than 15% in the 2 days I waited from when the shares were purchased until the sell order cleared.)

Taking that money and using it to pay for school seems like a much better plan than taking out loans.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6131 on: December 29, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »

While I can't say anything about going to school for fashion design, the rest of the choices there don't sound that terrible.

The last job I had had an Employee Stock Purchase Plan that was a better deal than even 401k matching. I maxed it out and sold it all off the minute it cleared my account and I profited 10k in free money (only risk was that the price of the stock would go down more than 15% in the 2 days I waited from when the shares were purchased until the sell order cleared.)

Taking that money and using it to pay for school seems like a much better plan than taking out loans.

She already has been working as an accountant for 7+ years though with benefits and a 401k. I some how doubt that cashing in the entire 401k, and taking out student loans on top of it is going to end up benefiting her financially in the long run, but it's her life.

But putting 100% of your 401k in company stock?  That's flat out stupid man.  The company ended up doing well, but it was still probably a poor decision to place all those eggs in one basket.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6132 on: December 29, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »

On topic: my in-laws moved 10 blocks away from me to be closer to the grandkids. They ROUTINELY drive those 10 blocks. Not only that, they bought an SUV "to make it easier to fit the carseats". They drive my kids places MAYBE once a month.

I can beat that! My aunts live on the same block, literally one house between them. One sister routinely uses the golf cart to go visit. Once I saw her back it out of the driveway to get the mail, then pull it in again.

My aunt can beat this! She doesn't do things like that anymore at all, her husband does all of it! Also, she only bothers to move her eyes and mouth!

She has ALS :(

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6133 on: December 29, 2014, 11:55:48 AM »

Wow, simply wow! How many DUIs does he now have?

Lia-Aimee

• Stubble
« Reply #6134 on: December 30, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
Not quite overheard at work, but it's an ex-CW.

Backstory: Boyfriend is in ~50K of tax debt. CW's dream is to get married and be a SAHM as soon as possible, but CW also has a weakness for luxury. Both are middle-income earners. 

CW: Boyfriend told me that we probably wouldn't get engaged for a year or so. At first I was very sad, but now I'm okay with it because he has a good reason.
Me: It must be frustrating to wait, but if you're both on the same page about why that's all that matters.
CW: He can't afford to get me a nice engagement ring right now so instead of going with something small or plain we'll just wait, it's okay.

Perhaps this IS mustachian in that Boyfriend isn't putting himself into more debt, but I can't for the life of me fathom putting off a much-wanted engagement due to ring choice (upgrade later!?) and I wouldn't call myself a romantic.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6135 on: December 31, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »
John, have her watch the first 45 minutes or so of The Wolf of Wall Street. She might not even have to watch that much. **Parental advisory for adult content**

I'd really like a Dodge Camaro. If one exists, it is probably so rare that it might be one of those few investment vehicles.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6136 on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:28 AM »

I'd really like a Dodge Camaro. If one exists, it is probably so rare that it might be one of those few investment vehicles.

What an adrenaline junkie! I would be perfectly happy with a '84 Honda Rabbit

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6137 on: December 31, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »
So, I got a haircut a couple of days ago, and one of the guys at work noticed.  I said "yeah, I basically get haircuts 2x a year.  I'm busy and cheap, so $30 x 2 = $60".  The guy said "yeah, make sure you invest that $30 wisely" (sarcastically).

Well, considering the average woman spends about $700 per year on haircuts and styling products (more if you color your hair), plus $160 on shampoo and conditioner (I spend maybe $10?  That includes the whole family).

That's more like $790 a year invested wisely.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6138 on: December 31, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »

What an adrenaline junkie! I would be perfectly happy with a '84 Honda Rabbit

Adrenaline junkie is right! Truthfully, I want an '83 Corvette or a '98 Miata.

(Corvette and Miata fans will chuckle)

OK, my anit-mustachian work stories:
My own, I buy my lunch just about every day. Probably $20 to $25 a week, just down the toilet. And frankly, I'm ok with that for now.   
Others, a guy at work makes ok money ($30k for a single guy in a low COL area). He doesn't get the full company match on the 401k. Which is less than $1,000. He still has student loans from his History Education degree (we work at a bank). I don't understand where his money goes, because he doesn't own a car, his bus pass is free, from what I've heard he doesn't know anything about investing, has 3 roommates (although their rent is WAY too high for what they get)... I guess it is all going to TV/Movies/video games.  Although I shouldn't judge, it is also likely going to medical bills; he is disabled (very mild cerebral palsy, which is still bad).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6139 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
So, I got a haircut a couple of days ago, and one of the guys at work noticed.  I said "yeah, I basically get haircuts 2x a year.  I'm busy and cheap, so $30 x 2 = $60".  The guy said "yeah, make sure you invest that $30 wisely" (sarcastically).

Well, considering the average woman spends about $700 per year on haircuts and styling products (more if you color your hair), plus $160 on shampoo and conditioner (I spend maybe $10?  That includes the whole family).

Being in the military having fairly short hair is a job requirement and many of my coworkers will get a haircut every two weeks.  I'm usually a 3-week kind of guy, but I also cut my own hair.  Some of my coworkers scoffed at going through the trouble to save on a $10 haircut until I pointed out it's more like $200 worth of haircuts at the end of the year.  I save that much each year with an initial investment of $30 for the clippers.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6140 on: December 31, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

Being in the military having fairly short hair is a job requirement and many of my coworkers will get a haircut every two weeks.  I'm usually a 3-week kind of guy, but I also cut my own hair.  Some of my coworkers scoffed at going through the trouble to save on a $10 haircut until I pointed out it's more like $200 worth of haircuts at the end of the year.  I save that much each year with an initial investment of $30 for the clippers.

My husband and I were both in the military, but I never got the buzz cut.  Now that he's out, he prefers it a little longer, so his cuts are every couple of months (usually 3 weeks past when he's due - no time!)

I was pretty good at cutting my older son's hair from age birth to 6.  I wouldn't do it every time, maybe every other or 2/3 (it's nice to get it done "right" once in awhile so I can follow along).  He doesn't like the buzz cut and only got one after the unfortunate head lice incident.  My 2 year old has only had 2 hair cuts.

They are both due.  I should get back into the habit of using those clippers so I'm better at it.  I use the longer pieces, like 3/4 inch on the back/sides and maybe 1 to 1.5 on the top.

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #6141 on: January 01, 2015, 01:06:37 AM »

Being in the military having fairly short hair is a job requirement

On a related note, don't ever go to a barbers in a military town and ask for "just tidy it up please" unless you really want to know what shape your head is (mine is apparently like an ugly potato.)

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6142 on: January 01, 2015, 06:55:55 AM »

Wow. That is a shocking statistic, if true. I haven't had a haircut in forever. The last time may have been in 2010 but I'm not even sure. I don't really see the point. My hair reached terminal length long ago and hasn't gotten longer in years, and it's still healthy.

Well, then I will out myself. I consider myself mustachian in many spending categories, but I spend close to that amount on haircuts and color.  I would add, in my defense, a bunch of crap about why it makes sense (need to present well professionally?) or how I space it out as long as possible and go to someone who works with me on spacing it out. But the truth is, it is unnecessary, and I know it is unnecessary.  Thankfully, everyone else in the house spends very little.  My budget for manicures, pedicures, and massages (all fairly common in my circle of friends) is $0, FWIW, so I don't universally think that I "deserve pampering" or try to keep up with all of my neighbors' grooming habits.

Bringing it back on-topic: I have a co-worker who goes to get her hair colored and cut every six to eight weeks (she is nearly gray without it, and you can tell how long it has been).  I once asked her where she went, and she replied that she will only go to the "head stylist" at a salon near our office - $190 minimum plus tip, per time.  And she's been doing it since I met her (11 + years), other than some breaks during pregnancy.  By my estimate, she has spent at least $15K on her hair alone.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #6143 on: January 01, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
I have incredibly baby fine, thin, straight hair but I have a wonderful short haircut that looks great (get compliments all the time.)  When it's longer it looks ridiculous... thin and stringy no matter what.  Will not take any kind of curl.  Have worn it this way over 27 years (it was never really in style so it will never really be out of style).  I get it cut every three weeks and it's $45 each time - so yep, $700 per year.  (I color it myself)  I spend $0 on manicures/pedicures/massages.  Yep, it's a lot of money but to me, it's worth it and that's what really matters.  Spending according to our values.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6144 on: January 01, 2015, 08:07:19 AM »

Wow. That is a shocking statistic, if true. I haven't had a haircut in forever. The last time may have been in 2010 but I'm not even sure. I don't really see the point. My hair reached terminal length long ago and hasn't gotten longer in years, and it's still healthy.

Well, then I will out myself. I consider myself mustachian in many spending categories, but I spend close to that amount on haircuts and color.  I would add, in my defense, a bunch of crap about why it makes sense (need to present well professionally?) or how I space it out as long as possible and go to someone who works with me on spacing it out. But the truth is, it is unnecessary, and I know it is unnecessary.  Thankfully, everyone else in the house spends very little.  My budget for manicures, pedicures, and massages (all fairly common in my circle of friends) is $0, FWIW, so I don't universally think that I "deserve pampering" or try to keep up with all of my neighbors' grooming habits.

Bringing it back on-topic: I have a co-worker who goes to get her hair colored and cut every six to eight weeks (she is nearly gray without it, and you can tell how long it has been).  I once asked her where she went, and she replied that she will only go to the "head stylist" at a salon near our office - $190 minimum plus tip, per time.  And she's been doing it since I met her (11 + years), other than some breaks during pregnancy.  By my estimate, she has spent at least $15K on her hair alone.

I am going to admit my  hair is stick straight and I don't much care for styling it.

Also I have my mother's genes. I'm 44, and I have a few gray strands but that's it, so I don't need to color it to look younger.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6145 on: January 01, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
Overheard at a friend's house:

a different friend (I guess I kind of work with her husband?  Sort of.)  Pays $500 a month on cleaning service for their house.  She has two cleaning people, is testing the second one out, and keeps both so she can choose.

They are coming to her house every other day right now...when she's out of town in her second ski home.

Now, she only works 2 days a week, her husband has 2 part time jobs (decent paying ones, lecturing and engineering work).  I knew they came from money, I just never realized how much!

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #6146 on: January 01, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »

Snip
On this off topic-
Do you have any schools for cosmetology that have students do your hair / whatever for cheaper?  It takes longer, but the teachers okay everything, and you get the same service for a deep discount. I started going to the Aveda Institute.

LALALA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6147 on: January 01, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »
Do any of you women who keep you hair short consider getting it cut by a barber?

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #6148 on: January 01, 2015, 04:42:41 PM »
A barber wouldn't work for my short haircut.  It's nothing like a man's cut at all.  I moved to Phoenix 20 years ago and in 3 years there, I never found anyone who could cut my hair like I like it.  I always looked like a Holocaust refugee.  It was awful.  Was so happy to move home to get my hair cut by the person who has been doing it since the mid-80s.  Seriously considering growing it out once we retire and move nex Thanksgiving just because the idea of finding someone else to cut it like this is so stressful.  Not sure yet which will be worse... finding someone new to cut it like it or growing it out knowing how bad it's going to look.  :(

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6149 on: January 01, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »
On this off topic-
Do you have any schools for cosmetology that have students do your hair / whatever for cheaper?  It takes longer, but the teachers okay everything, and you get the same service for a deep discount. I started going to the Aveda Institute.

I would go to the Aveda Institute in a second! Right now, time is at a real premium (work crazy, etc. etc.) and the closest one is about an hour away.  I was told I would need to set aside a minimum of 4-5 hours to do my color/cut (they say to allow 2 hours for cut alone).  That basically requires a whole day which just can't happen schedule-wise.  But I am totally interested in doing it at some point.