Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252661 times)

crispy

Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3750 on: August 20, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
Have one to add!  Coworker has been telling me about the elaborate birthday party she is planning for her daughter including a tiered fondant cake and a visit from a Disney princess.  Both of these items costs a few hundred dollars not to mention all the other stuff she's planned.  The kicker is that she has been in pain for a few months because she broke her back molar and knocked out the filling.  She told me yesterday, 'I really need to get my tooth fixed, but I don't have the $200 needed to pull it out much less get a crown."  There just are no words.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3751 on: August 20, 2014, 07:49:49 AM »
People! People!

Did you overhear all this at work?
Oh, great.  More on-topic police.  You guys should create your own forum for exclusive on-topic posting.

that made me seriously LOL

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3752 on: August 20, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
But when you owe(much like I did 4 months ago) $60,000 ar 19.9% refi helps to atleast make progress on the debt.

I now owe $80,000 and all of it is below 10%.  Not great but much better.  Al least now I can make some progress and get this shit gone.

So yes still in debt after refi - but in a much better place to pay it off.

Sounds like you got front loaded with $20,000 additional debt to save 9.9% interest.

LOL Typo... first number should be 80000 second should be 60000... now have 20000 less.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3753 on: August 20, 2014, 08:07:53 AM »
But when you owe(much like I did 4 months ago) $60,000 ar 19.9% refi helps to atleast make progress on the debt.

I now owe $80,000 and all of it is below 10%.  Not great but much better.  Al least now I can make some progress and get this shit gone.

So yes still in debt after refi - but in a much better place to pay it off.

Sounds like you got front loaded with $20,000 additional debt to save 9.9% interest.

LOL Typo... first number should be 80000 second should be 60000... now have 20000 less.

Good because I almost had a heart attack after reading the typo. Congrats on the progress. Big turnaround, but keep it going.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #3754 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
Today a young coworker was complaining about retirement to an older coworker. The conversation went something like this
Young cw "I'll never be able to retire thanks to Obama and the nazis blah blah blah"
Old cw "if I was your age I would just try and save one dollar everyday and put that in a savings account you would be set by the time you retire"

At least old CW didn't go along with young CWs obummer/gummint keeping me down complainypants horseshit. The math of old CW might suck but his suggestion save and take control of retirement planning is a good start.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3755 on: August 20, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
I'm always surprised at how many coworkers come in with a cup from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Our company has at least 3 Keurig machines and about 30 different types of coffee and tea to go with it. Not to mention all different kinds of milk, sugar, sugar substitutes...

The best is when a few associates start going out in the afternoon to get a cup because they need a break. Why do we have a break room with a coffee maker then?

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #3756 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
I'm always surprised at how many coworkers come in with a cup from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Our company has at least 3 Keurig machines and about 30 different types of coffee and tea to go with it. Not to mention all different kinds of milk, sugar, sugar substitutes...

The best is when a few associates start going out in the afternoon to get a cup because they need a break. Why do we have a break room with a coffee maker then?

a) its a break from the office
B) you get to go outside
C) starbucks doesnt make that caramel frappe

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3757 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
A good friend of mine just leased a brand new Camero at $450/month and asked me to spot the $50 he needed to join our fantasy football league and that he would pay me back on payday... wtf

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3758 on: August 20, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »
It's all in the apron and pearls - June cleaver would be so proud!
The sad truth is that any activity that calls for pearls decidedly does not call for an apron, and vice versa. :-)

. . . are you suggesting that activities exist which call for pearls?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3759 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »

Necklaces, sure, definitely.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #3760 on: August 20, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »

a) its a break from the office
B) you get to go outside
C) starbucks doesnt make that caramel frappe

+1 (I assume you meant Keurig doesn't make caramel frappe)

After I gave up the occasional Starbucks, but was still in my big corporate gig, I still tagged along with my buddy when he went on a frappuchino run for the opportunity to stretch my legs and unplug for a few minutes.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3761 on: August 20, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »

Same thing at my company we have keurigs and other automatic coffee machines as well with many different flavors for coffee, tea and hot chocolate yet people still come in with their dunkin donuts, starbucks or wawa coffee cups.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3762 on: August 20, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
...people still come in with their dunkin donuts, starbucks or wawa coffee cups.

wawa? is this a brand I'm not familiar with, or is this an infantile complainypants person? :)

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3763 on: August 20, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
...people still come in with their dunkin donuts, starbucks or wawa coffee cups.

wawa? is this a brand I'm not familiar with, or is this an infantile complainypants person? :)

It's a gas station/minimart chain in PA, saw a lot of them when I was working on-site at a plant there a lot a few years back.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3764 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:09 PM »
It's all in the apron and pearls - June cleaver would be so proud!
The sad truth is that any activity that calls for pearls decidedly does not call for an apron, and vice versa. :-)

Indeed. We may not be thinking of the same sorts of activities, though. :-)

I wear pearls, completely without irony, once or twice a week.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #3765 on: August 20, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
I'm a long time lurker, but I finally overheard something today that made me want to take the plunge:

I over heard some coworkers discussing one coworker's adult son who is trying to buy a new car since his current car, a quite mustachian sedan from the sounds of things, was finally reaching the end of it's life.  This son lives on his own and doesn't rely on his parents for financial support.  The Coworker said that her son was looking at something used, maybe a '95 or '00 model, since he could by it with cash. She thought that this wasn't a good idea since "it's so hard to find a reliable used car and you don't know how a car has been treated."  She recommended that he purchase a new SUV since "if you're buying a car, why not get a nice one". 

Okay, that's not great advice (particularly the SUV part since he's doing fine with his sedan right now) but at least I can understand having trouble evaluating the quality and reliability of used cars.  Her next comments blew me away though:

She said her son currently put approx 50% of his paycheck into his 401k since he's trying to save a lot now since he might not be able to save as much when he has kids or gets married.  She was really upset by this, though, and thought that "at this time in life, he should be focusing on buying things and paying bills, not saving."

I could understand if he was living in her house still or SHE was paying his bills, but the guy has it together and has the money to save BECAUSE he keeps his bills low.  Maybe he's already member here, but hasn't shared the secret with his mom yet...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3766 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
I'm a long time lurker, but I finally overheard something today that made me want to take the plunge:

I over heard some coworkers discussing one coworker's adult son who is trying to buy a new car since his current car, a quite mustachian sedan from the sounds of things, was finally reaching the end of it's life.  This son lives on his own and doesn't rely on his parents for financial support.  The Coworker said that her son was looking at something used, maybe a '95 or '00 model, since he could by it with cash. She thought that this wasn't a good idea since "it's so hard to find a reliable used car and you don't know how a car has been treated."  She recommended that he purchase a new SUV since "if you're buying a car, why not get a nice one". 

Okay, that's not great advice (particularly the SUV part since he's doing fine with his sedan right now) but at least I can understand having trouble evaluating the quality and reliability of used cars.  Her next comments blew me away though:

She said her son currently put approx 50% of his paycheck into his 401k since he's trying to save a lot now since he might not be able to save as much when he has kids or gets married.  She was really upset by this, though, and thought that "at this time in life, he should be focusing on buying things and paying bills, not saving."

I could understand if he was living in her house still or SHE was paying his bills, but the guy has it together and has the money to save BECAUSE he keeps his bills low.  Maybe he's already member here, but hasn't shared the secret with his mom yet...

Guckles, welcome to the forum. Please slap that co-worker tomorrow. Tell her I told you to do it. Thanks.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3767 on: August 20, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »
Had a good one today. CW is 50 and makes just into the 6 figures not including bonuses in a LCOL area here. He also has several rental properties he runs off to maintain at the end of working days in summer. He was talking today about hoping he can retire by 65! Another CW tried saying he would be fine by 60, but he scoffed and reiterated he was hoping for 65.

The odd part is he makes many good decisions considering he used to drive a very old beat up truck with over 200,000 miles when he isn't biking into work. He is a health nut who refuses to eat out and loves working out. He must really be spending a lot on vacations which are cross country or to the Caribbean and he complains about wife's spending habits. Still doesn't add up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3768 on: August 20, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
Had a good one today. CW is 50 and makes just into the 6 figures not including bonuses in a LCOL area here. He also has several rental properties he runs off to maintain at the end of working days in summer. He was talking today about hoping he can retire by 65! Another CW tried saying he would be fine by 60, but he scoffed and reiterated he was hoping for 65.

The odd part is he makes many good decisions considering he used to drive a very old beat up truck with over 200,000 miles when he isn't biking into work. He is a health nut who refuses to eat out and loves working out. He must really be spending a lot on vacations which are cross country or to the Caribbean and he complains about wife's spending habits. Still doesn't add up.

He may just be a boglehead and believe you need $5 million to retire regardless of actual expenses

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3769 on: August 21, 2014, 06:07:22 AM »
He may just be a boglehead and believe you need $5 million to retire regardless of actual expenses
I was just going to say the same thing, it seems like a lot of people really struggle with the concept of actually spending/living off of their retirement savings rather than their salary, even when they have way more than enough. OTOH, maybe he has big plans to travel the world in complete luxury. (But it doesn't sound like it based on your description of his behavior.)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3770 on: August 21, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »

My wife's mom had a similar opinion before we were married - "why worry about retirement now, plenty of time to save later".  This has since been downgraded to the more generic "I don't know how you live".  So long as your CW doesn't convince her son to stop living as wisely as he is currently, I suppose no harm done.  Slap some "you should be proud" sense into her if you can.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #3771 on: August 21, 2014, 10:28:22 AM »
Overheard my cube neighbor on the phone, sounding excited as he talked about buying a larger house, "And then you get to buy things to fill it!"

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3772 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »

My wife's mom had a similar opinion before we were married - "why worry about retirement now, plenty of time to save later".  This has since been downgraded to the more generic "I don't know how you live".  So long as your CW doesn't convince her son to stop living as wisely as he is currently, I suppose no harm done.  Slap some "you should be proud" sense into her if you can.

Don't just tell her "you should be proud," tell her "at that rate, he's going to be rich and retired before you are!"

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3773 on: August 21, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
...   Don't just tell her "you should be proud," tell her "at that rate, he's going to be rich and retired before you are!"

While this is likely true, it will go 100 miles over the CW's head, it will be as if you said:  "We need to get our High School music programs fully funded with Cheetos else the Russians will have Mars bases before us!!!"

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3774 on: August 21, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
Overheard my cube neighbor on the phone, sounding excited as he talked about buying a larger house, "And then you get to buy things to fill it!"
Ugh -know that one.  The house we just bought is by all accounts, not very big - only 1400 feet.  Still way too big for us though - we've got two entire rooms we're trying to figure out what to do with.  Of course our attitude is more "crap.  we might have to buy some stuff to fill it".

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3775 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »
Ugh -know that one.  The house we just bought is by all accounts, not very big - only 1400 feet.  Still way too big for us though - we've got two entire rooms we're trying to figure out what to do with.  Of course our attitude is more "crap.  we might have to buy some stuff to fill it".

This kind of hits home.  Me and my SO were looking to purchase a house this spring.  We were looking for about 8-900 sq ft - we have two kids and thought this would be a great size.  I grew up in a 826 and my wife in a 679 sq ft for famillys of five.  Anyways, when I talked to anyone about this, the question was allways, why so small.  You should save buy bigger.  Or you only need 5% down, so why no spluge and get a bigger house when they found out we hade most of 20% saved...

I was thinking, because we do not need extra crap, and I dont want to be house broke.

jordanread

« Reply #3776 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
...   Don't just tell her "you should be proud," tell her "at that rate, he's going to be rich and retired before you are!"

While this is likely true, it will go 100 miles over the CW's head, it will be as if you said:  "We need to get our High School music programs fully funded with Cheetos else the Russians will have Mars bases before us!!!"

Which we all know is silly. You don't mix Cheetos with instruments. But those Russians...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3777 on: August 21, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »

This kind of hits home.  Me and my SO were looking to purchase a house this spring.  We were looking for about 8-900 sq ft - we have two kids and thought this would be a great size.  I grew up in a 826 and my wife in a 679 sq ft for famillys of five.  Anyways, when I talked to anyone about this, the question was allways, why so small.  You should save buy bigger.  Or you only need 5% down, so why no spluge and get a bigger house when they found out we hade most of 20% saved...

I was thinking, because we do not need extra crap, and I dont want to be house broke.
So long as any pets / children are house broke . . .

show me the money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3778 on: August 21, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »

I see all the time about living in a smaller house on here. i live in a 900sq ft house now with only one bathroom. for me i think the ideal size is around 1400-1500 and two bathrooms. it is me, my wife, my son, two large dogs, and another child on the way. i would like a little more space, but not looking for anything huge. maybe even 1200 sq ft, just set up better, i think an open floor plan is where we need to be. we only put 5% down (this way before finding this site), however, we made sure to purchase a home that we could afford on one income. and still can.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3779 on: August 21, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
Make a dream room out of it.
I watched an anime named "nagi no asukara" a bit ago and was impressed by the sea-themed coloring and round corners of everything. Ever since I have an urge to make a "Shioshishio" (under-water-village in the anime) room.
Get old stuff and paint it. All in sea colors.

Pics from the ani: http://neoparadigmcity.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/horriblesubs-nagi-no-asukara-09-720p-mkv_snapshot_18-12_2013-11-28_19-50-55.png
http://relifeanime.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/0325.jpg
even the hospital: http://relifeanime.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/0445.jpg

jordanread

« Reply #3780 on: August 21, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
I see all the time about living in a smaller house on here. i live in a 900sq ft house now with only one bathroom. for me i think the ideal size is around 1400-1500 and two bathrooms. it is me, my wife, my son, two large dogs, and another child on the way. i would like a little more space, but not looking for anything huge. maybe even 1200 sq ft, just set up better, i think an open floor plan is where we need to be. we only put 5% down (this way before finding this site), however, we made sure to purchase a home that we could afford on one income. and still can.

The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 900ft2. It was an amazing realization that the actual size wasn't the issue, it was the layout. When we look at places now, I immediately look for load-bearing walls. Ideally, I'd love something like the big glass walls that fold out and make a seamless integration to the outdoor living space, but that might be overkill. Kind of something like this:

Also, the following video really blew my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQM7a5Yjp9g

Coupled with MMM, it made me question some previous assumptions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:49:25 PM by jordanread »

show me the money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3781 on: August 21, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »

The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 9002ft. It was an amazing realization that the actual size wasn't the issue, it was the layout. When we look at places now, I immediately look for load-bearing walls. Ideally, I'd love something like the big glass walls that fold out and make a seamless integration to the outdoor living space, but that might be overkill. Kind of something like this:

Ive seen that type of apartment before, it is very cool. i know most of our issue is the layout, 100yr old house with a bad layout between two floors and a non finished basement. i would really like a 2nd bathroom with my growing family. and just a little larger house with an open floor plan. not one of those 2500sq footers, too much to clean, heat, and cool.

anyway, back to on topic,

a cw has just purchased a new truck, a very expensive filled with gadgets truck, while still paying off his previous truck that he kept because when he goes hunting he does not want to take the time to move everything out of the bed and have to put it all back when he gets home. i found out that all of the vehicles they pay for every month is more that my mortgage, and that is just the payments, not including insurance and gas. i tried to offer advice, like how great it is not to have a car payment, but was told i need the gadgets, i want the gadgets and i will do anything to get them. i no longer offer any advice to anyone here.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3782 on: August 21, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 9002ft.

Holy hell, 810000 feet??

Hahaha I know that's not what you meant. But it made me laugh.

My contribution: Guy in my lab says he and his currently unemployed SO take turns making dinner. During the week his SO makes dinner. During the weekend, my friend says ugh I'm too lazy to make food, let's eat out. I tried to get him to really tally up how much he's spending on food this way, because I'm sure it's easily in the thousands of dollars a year extra over cooking. But he doesn't want to change his habits. Instead, he's looking for a credit card that gives good rewards on restaurants.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3783 on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »

For most of the readers,  if you don't know, Regina typically only calculates the above ground sq.ft, as many basements are poor for living space, but great for work tools, laundry, and storage.   Many have been converting them to include an extra bedroom / bathroom, etc., which would be in addition to sizes mentioned  (e.g., 800 sqft home with 500 sq.ft finished in basement "eventually" is quite common).     It flips where I live, which was a surprise to find out the 1400 sq.ft "above ground" home I live in now, is actually considered to be over 3000 sq.ft. by local standards.  (sized for a secondary suite)

jordanread

« Reply #3784 on: August 21, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 9002ft.

Holy hell, 810000 feet??

Hahaha I know that's not what you meant. But it made me laugh.

My contribution: Guy in my lab says he and his currently unemployed SO take turns making dinner. During the week his SO makes dinner. During the weekend, my friend says ugh I'm too lazy to make food, let's eat out. I tried to get him to really tally up how much he's spending on food this way, because I'm sure it's easily in the thousands of dollars a year extra over cooking. But he doesn't want to change his habits. Instead, he's looking for a credit card that gives good rewards on restaurants.

Yeah, I screwed that up, didn't I. I should change my name to Jones...

Fixed it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:49:47 PM by jordanread »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3785 on: August 21, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »

For most of the readers,  if you don't know, Regina typically only calculates the above ground sq.ft, as many basements are poor for living space, but great for work tools, laundry, and storage.   Many have been converting them to include an extra bedroom / bathroom, etc., which would be in addition to sizes mentioned  (e.g., 800 sqft home with 500 sq.ft finished in basement "eventually" is quite common).     It flips where I live, which was a surprise to find out the 1400 sq.ft "above ground" home I live in now, is actually considered to be over 3000 sq.ft. by local standards.  (sized for a secondary suite)
Interesting about the local convention for square footage - my 1400 too big house is all above ground, though the tax-appraiser has it at 1059 square feet because two of the rooms were kind of tacked on the back of the house with no ductwork run to them, so I don't think actually qualify as proper living space.  One is open to living room / kitchen area, the other is pretty much separate - you go through one of the bedrooms to get to it.  Using that one more or less as a garage - laundry / storage in there - everything you'd put in a garage except space for the cars.  The extra living room is really cool - adds a lot of character - almost feels like you're on a boat or something back there, however due to not being properly ducted, it has a significant temperature differential to deal with.

Reminds me I need to pick up solar screens / curtains this weekend - gotta make this thing as energy efficient as we can.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #3786 on: August 21, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
This one is really awful.  I work with a woman who, until about a month ago, lived about 1,000 miles away from our office and worked at another site.  She is doing a two-year rotation at our site.  It's very prestigious to do this at our company, so she is clearly on the move up.  I know this woman because we're on the same global team, so I see her at meetings around the world a couple times a year.  The woman is extremely smart and nice.  She's just a lovely, lovely person -- generous, warm, gets stuff done, etc..

We were at an all-day meeting today, and some of the women were talking about this CW's Prada shoes.  The woman is originally from France, and they were talking about the fact that she always has $400 shoes on, very admiringly.

So later, I chat with her, and ask how the transition is going.  She tells me that they weren't able to get their daughter into the prestigious private school in my neck of the woods, so her husband and daughter are staying back for the two years.  In other words, the woman has moved away from her 10yo daughter for two years, in order to advance her career.  Her eyes filled with tears as she told me.  I asked if she was commuting back each weekend, and she said she couldn't afford it because flights are too expensive.  I just don't understand this, and I wouldn't if it were a man, either.  What is the purpose of life, if not to be physically present during your children's childhood?

This woman is at my job level, and has been for at least five years.  So she's been making nearly $200K for quite a while now.  I just don't understand it.  And how do people not make the connection between the shoes and the other luxe things and the need to move away from your young child?  There's a relationship there!  Wouldn't it be better to send the kid to public school, rather than have her miss her mother for two years?  I just don't understand.

crispy

« Reply #3787 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
This one is really awful.  I work with a woman who, until about a month ago, lived about 1,000 miles away from our office and worked at another site.  She is doing a two-year rotation at our site.  It's very prestigious to do this at our company, so she is clearly on the move up.  I know this woman because we're on the same global team, so I see her at meetings around the world a couple times a year.  The woman is extremely smart and nice.  She's just a lovely, lovely person -- generous, warm, gets stuff done, etc..

We were at an all-day meeting today, and some of the women were talking about this CW's Prada shoes.  The woman is originally from France, and they were talking about the fact that she always has $400 shoes on, very admiringly.

So later, I chat with her, and ask how the transition is going.  She tells me that they weren't able to get their daughter into the prestigious private school in my neck of the woods, so her husband and daughter are staying back for the two years.  In other words, the woman has moved away from her 10yo daughter for two years, in order to advance her career.  Her eyes filled with tears as she told me.  I asked if she was commuting back each weekend, and she said she couldn't afford it because flights are too expensive.  I just don't understand this, and I wouldn't if it were a man, either.  What is the purpose of life, if not to be physically present during your children's childhood?

This woman is at my job level, and has been for at least five years.  So she's been making nearly $200K for quite a while now.  I just don't understand it.  And how do people not make the connection between the shoes and the other luxe things and the need to move away from your young child?  There's a relationship there!  Wouldn't it be better to send the kid to public school, rather than have her miss her mother for two years?  I just don't understand.

It's sad that she thinks that her daughter going to a prestigious school is more important than having her mother around.  I really feel for that little girl.  People have some whacked out priorities.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3788 on: August 21, 2014, 07:27:02 PM »
Why does everyone have this idea that you must maintain a balance on your card to get a good credit score?  And why do they insist they are correct in spite of evidence to the contrary?  I have heard so many people tell me this, and they all have terrible credit (because they are the people likely to maintain a credit card balance).

My dad is still convinced of this. He told me it's terrible that I pay off my cc's in full every month because then the credit card companies are going to cancel my cards since they're not making money off of me, then my credit score will drop, and all hell will break loose.

A month after he told me that the first time, my bank sent me a letter saying they increased my limit (without me asking).

Of course the bank isn't making money off of me. But by increasing my limit, they're hoping I'll say "oooh look at all the pretty things I can buy now!" and mess myself up. Nice try, banks. I'm onto you!

My experience is the opposite -- I've never gotten a credit increase unless I had a balance near the limit
I have never carried a balance on a CC ever, and they keep raising my limit!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3789 on: August 22, 2014, 03:43:26 AM »

The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 900ft2. It was an amazing realization that the actual size wasn't the issue, it was the layout. When we look at places now, I immediately look for load-bearing walls. Ideally, I'd love something like the big glass walls that fold out and make a seamless integration to the outdoor living space, but that might be overkill. Kind of something like this:

Where did you find the glass walls? We're starting to look at finishing our atrium, and we're planning to DIY something like that, but actual plans/ pics / ideas would be marvelous.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3790 on: August 22, 2014, 04:57:39 AM »
everything you'd put in a garage except space for the cars.
I LOLed at that. Most garages I know are rented and just barely big enough to get a SUV in. Really just because they were made for a Trabbi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant) All one size for one type of car.

But then I cried a little for that little girl. No *that* school, really? *sigh*

PloddingInsight

• Bristles
« Reply #3791 on: August 22, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »

It's sad that she thinks that her daughter going to a prestigious school is more important than having her mother around.  I really feel for that little girl.  People have some whacked out priorities.
+1 Million.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3792 on: August 22, 2014, 07:19:56 AM »

I once sat at a work dinner with a group of 8 people who were all debating at what age they could ship their kids to boarding school.  I made a comment that if/when I have kids, I would never do that because I actually would want to spend time with them and they all looked at me like I was a loon.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3793 on: August 22, 2014, 07:31:13 AM »

It's a gas station/minimart chain in PA, saw a lot of them when I was working on-site at a plant there a lot a few years back.

Entire east coast has them now. They're a step above Sheetz. At least they have boarshead meat if you get a sandwich.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3794 on: August 22, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »

Well that will make him happier. I think we can all agree that consumption/consumerism isn't fulfilling. Just ask the baby boomers!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3795 on: August 22, 2014, 07:55:23 AM »

I once sat at a work dinner with a group of 8 people who were all debating at what age they could ship their kids to boarding school.  I made a comment that if/when I have kids, I would never do that because I actually would want to spend time with them and they all looked at me like I was a loon.

What's the point in having the kids then? Condoms would have been cheaper than boarding school.

crispy

« Reply #3796 on: August 22, 2014, 08:18:45 AM »

What's the point in having the kids then? Condoms would have been cheaper than boarding school.

I think some people see children the same way they see the big house or the BMW - an accessory to show how awesome and successful they are.  That's why their children are always the smartest, prettiest, most athletic, etc.  It's just another status symbol to have a popular kid, send them to the best schools, or dress them in insanely expensive clothes, etc. 

I would bet this mom is even talking about the sacrifice she is making so that her daughter can have the best without realize the best thing she can give her is a mom who cares and wants to spend time with her.  It just makes me sad.  The daughter knows that the only sacrifice that is being made is her and it's on the altar of her mom's career.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:22:20 AM by crispy »

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #3797 on: August 22, 2014, 09:07:28 AM »

Boy that first story really is sad.

As for shipping off kids to boarding school: how the hell can people LOOK FORWARD to that?!?!?  My wife just went back to work a couple weeks ago after our son was born and I already feel shitty for dropping him off at daycare every day.  I can't wait until at least one of us doesn't have to work anymore so we can actually spend the time RAISING the little guy

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3798 on: August 22, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »

Entire east coast has them now. They're a step above Sheetz. At least they have boarshead meat if you get a sandwich.

They haven't reached NY yet, not where I'm from. My boyfriend is originally from southern Jersey (stones throw away from PA). The first time we went down to visit his parents, he said that we were going to "stop at Wawa to get a hoagie." It was another language for me!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3799 on: August 22, 2014, 09:24:11 AM »

Boy that first story really is sad.

As for shipping off kids to boarding school: how the hell can people LOOK FORWARD to that?!?!?  My wife just went back to work a couple weeks ago after our son was born and I already feel shitty for dropping him off at daycare every day.  I can't wait until at least one of us doesn't have to work anymore so we can actually spend the time RAISING the little guy
I grew up in a small town (~2500 people) that had three private boarding schools. 

The Two high schools were bad enough.  Too many kids with more money than love.  The boy's school had lots of parties, drinking and drugs.  The girl's school had lots of parties, drinking and....girls.

The third school was the worst though.  It was a boarding elementary school.  Kids started there as young as the first grade.  It was a very strict school, with punishments like duck walking that we could see as we drove past.  This school also stayed open year round for those parents who were "too busy" to have their kids stay with them during holidays or on summer break.

Us townies did not interact with the private school kids much, they lived in a different world.  Not a better world IMO.