Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253405 times)

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20500 on: July 23, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »
One of the tech support guys (FlakeyGuy) who sits beside me is absolutely terrible with money. Both he and his wife work full-time, yet they are absolutely buried in debt due to their excessive spending.

Of course, in addition to eating out for every meal, he also makes daily trips to the gas station across the street for their overpriced, single-pack snacks and soda. Also, being in a position with lots of downtime, his team has a tendency to bring in games and things to occupy their time. Naturally, if someone brings in something new, he always ends up buying one too.

Two of his notable conversations come to mind:

FlakeyGuy: "So, I've started part-time at McDonald's in the mornings before I come to work here. I want to add the extra income to get ahead."

one day later...

FlakeyGuy: "I got another tattoo on my chest! It only cost $350!"

FlakeyGuy: texts OtherCoworker "Hey, OtherCoworker, would you be able to loan me $1,700? Our ferret got slammed in the door. It needs surgery if it's going to have a chance to live, and we don't have the money right now."

one day later...

FlakeyGuy: "My daughter was in town last week. I went out and bought her the newest Playstation and a bunch of games because her mother is always buying her stuff and I want to do it too."

This can't be real. No way, no how.

Believe it. This guy is among the most irresponsible, impulsive people I know. His lack of self-awareness is disturbing beyond belief.

EDIT: To give credit where it is due, he is also very kind and charming and willing to share anything with anyone. He just completely lacks financial sense and any sort of work ethic.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:54:52 AM by SynestheticSymphony »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20501 on: July 23, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
One of the tech support guys (FlakeyGuy) who sits beside me is absolutely terrible with money. Both he and his wife work full-time, yet they are absolutely buried in debt due to their excessive spending.

Of course, in addition to eating out for every meal, he also makes daily trips to the gas station across the street for their overpriced, single-pack snacks and soda. Also, being in a position with lots of downtime, his team has a tendency to bring in games and things to occupy their time. Naturally, if someone brings in something new, he always ends up buying one too.

Two of his notable conversations come to mind:

FlakeyGuy: "So, I've started part-time at McDonald's in the mornings before I come to work here. I want to add the extra income to get ahead."

one day later...

FlakeyGuy: "I got another tattoo on my chest! It only cost $350!"

FlakeyGuy: texts OtherCoworker "Hey, OtherCoworker, would you be able to loan me $1,700? Our ferret got slammed in the door. It needs surgery if it's going to have a chance to live, and we don't have the money right now."

one day later...

FlakeyGuy: "My daughter was in town last week. I went out and bought her the newest Playstation and a bunch of games because her mother is always buying her stuff and I want to do it too."

This can't be real. No way, no how.

Believe it. This guy is among the most irresponsible, impulsive people I know. His lack of self-awareness is disturbing beyond belief.

EDIT: To give credit where it is due, he is also very kind and charming and willing to share anything with anyone. He just completely lacks financial sense and any sort of work ethic.

Yeah I've known people like him. Totally means well but completely irresponsible. I know a few guys that if they see anyone looking at anything new or fancy they have to have it, even if they don't like it or need it or can even afford it. And then they wonder why they're broke.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #20502 on: July 23, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
I have a coworker who is easily the most Spendy person I know (which is saying something as I have a lot of Spendypants in my life.) Most recently he has been working on refinancing his home (hasn't closed yet) with the intention of taking cash out to do "renovations." I think they are set to close today, but it has been bumped back at least 5 times now, so I'm not holding my breath.

So far, with the "renovation" budget, he has purchased (via financing):
  • New flooring for the entire house (okay)
  • A thousand dollars in new landscaping materials like plants, rocks, etc. (okay?)
  • A new couch from West Elm (not okay)
  • A new dining room table from West Elm (not okay)
  • Four new accent chairs from World Market (not okay)
  • A thousand dollars in patio furniture from World Market (not okay)
  • A new washer/dryer set, Apple Watch, laptop, NintendoSwitch from BestBuy (yikes)
  • A Peloton indoor stationary bike (this is starting to hurt)
  • A new desk and bookcase from West Elm for the "home office" (RIP)
  • Is shopping for an Audi SUV despite his 7 year old Nissan working fine (I wish I was joking)

I give him shit for it all the time. He works on the team I previously worked on, and can't be making more than $70K/year (including annual bonus). His partner is a fledgling real estate agent. I found out about the Peloton today and told him "you either need an intervention, or I need to come back to this team for your salary." His response?

"Well next time you refinance, go for the cash out option!"

Adding to my original list:
  • This weekend he bought a Dyson vacuum. Was very excited because he got it on Super Deal from a 3rd party. It arrived with no handle so they are refunding him $100 to purchase one, but Dyson won't sell him just a handle as a replacement part
  • He told me this morning they're looking at putting their home on the market next year. Says they're planning on selling it fully furnished. Says they "just really want to start fresh at a new place." Should be noted: this is a house in a basic subdivision, outside the limits of the major city we are near, in the $180k-$200k range. Not exactly the market for clientele looking to buy fully furnished homes...

As for the Peloton........ it is ordered and on it's way!

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20503 on: July 23, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
All joking aside, have you been happy with your West Elm couch? I am going to have to replace a sectional pretty soon and feel like I've looked at a million options. There's a West Elm outlet nearby and was thinking I might be able to snag one at a reduced outlet price, but I've read some not awesome reviews about them.

Sidenote....... couch shopping is the literal worst.

Disagree. Bed shopping is so much worse.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #20504 on: July 23, 2018, 11:30:07 AM »
Oh man, the "good-hearted but bad with money" theme is cropping up hard in my life right now. One of my best friends in town has a shopping habit. He's always in the process of buying/selling something new-to-him (camping trailer, boat, scooter, motorcycle, truck, etc..). While he does a ton of thrift store shopping and buys most things used, the volume is crazy. This same guy will randomly show up at our house things like a little kids' bike, saying "Hey, this is too small for my kids, but I saw it at the thrift shop and thought Tyrannospawn1 could use it!"

This weekend, he told DH that he doesn't trust the stock market, so 100% of his retirement savings (less than $50K) is sitting in bonds. For the rest, he's banking on Social Security.

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20505 on: July 23, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
Oh man, the "good-hearted but bad with money" theme is cropping up hard in my life right now. One of my best friends in town has a shopping habit. He's always in the process of buying/selling something new-to-him (camping trailer, boat, scooter, motorcycle, truck, etc..). While he does a ton of thrift store shopping and buys most things used, the volume is crazy. This same guy will randomly show up at our house things like a little kids' bike, saying "Hey, this is too small for my kids, but I saw it at the thrift shop and thought Tyrannospawn1 could use it!"

This weekend, he told DH that he doesn't trust the stock market, so 100% of his retirement savings (less than $50K) is sitting in bonds. For the rest, he's banking on Social Security.

It's a little bit heartbreaking... Such people are so very kind, but the sharing is only to their detriment due to their other spending habits. :(

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20506 on: July 23, 2018, 11:50:25 AM »
Not direct co-workers of mine, but a group of people I semi-regularly hang out with who all work at the same hospital:

Part 1 -
CW1: I can't save at the moment. My rent is already over half my salary!
CW2: Then why do you live in such an expensive place?!
CW1: Well, I have cats that I want to give sufficient space (fair enough) plus it's harder to find a rental with a cat.
CW2: But you have a whole house, couldn't you take a flatmate for the 2nd bedroom?
CW1: I've had a bad experience with a flatmate before so I prefer living alone.

Part 2 -
Me: But still, after your rent there's $800 left, where does that go?
CW1: Well, taking care of the cats. And I spend a lot on food too.
Me: Like, how much? Just trying to help you here as it sounds like you're stressed about money..
CW1: Like $50/week?
Me: That's double my spend..
CW1: But I eat vegetarian! It's more expensive
Me: So do I..

It kept on going like this.. all of that while consuming fancy $5 special beers in a bar. Note: our salaries are low so saving $50/month on groceries would already be a huge deal for her. I genuinely wanted to help her as she sounded stressed about money, but she kept coming up with excuses on why she couldn't go to a cheaper gym, eat cheaper food, get a cheaper house or whatever expense I mentioned.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #20507 on: July 23, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »
Reading the above Escalade story reminded me of something similar at work.  A co-worker had to go to one of the company vehicles to get some paperwork.  It is parked in the back lot, about 100 yards from the office.  She got in her car and drove to the company car instead of walking.  She did it twice.  No words.

Does she have knee/hip problems? Before my physiotherapy I would have been in agony by the time I reached the company car, let alone walking back again.
No she is a perfectly healthy and young (early 30s).  She has no problem walking, she just doesn't like to.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20508 on: July 24, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »
A pretty cool coworker of mine, very nice guy.  Complains a lot though about work, how he won't ever retire until 70 (I tell him I will retire before 50).

Pretty funny conversation awhile back...

cw: so we went to a outdoor convention this weekend.
me: cool, we like to go to those, i usually pick up stuff for my canoe or extra fishing gear.
cw: yeah we bought a camp trailer... great deal.
me: oh yeah, those are cool, the attache to the back of your car, can haul more stuff, instead of filling up your trunk.
cw: oh no, this is a full mobile home style, washroom, beds, etc
me: <silent>
cw: yeah it was a good deal.
me: if you don't mind, what did it cost you?
cw: 35k
me <silent>
cw: but sucks... if found out my truck can't handle it.
me <silent>
cw: i just bought a new truck, cost me 50k
me <silent>
me: so i guess retirement age moved back to 75 then, <haha>
cw: probably 80

haha, he's cool with me taking pokes at him, but his finances/budgetting are atrocious.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20509 on: July 24, 2018, 05:10:44 AM »
Is there such a thing as renting these trucks and campers rather than buying them?

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20510 on: July 24, 2018, 05:17:07 AM »
A pretty cool coworker of mine, very nice guy.  Complains a lot though about work, how he won't ever retire until 70 (I tell him I will retire before 50).

Pretty funny conversation awhile back...

cw: so we went to a outdoor convention this weekend.
me: cool, we like to go to those, i usually pick up stuff for my canoe or extra fishing gear.
cw: yeah we bought a camp trailer... great deal.
me: oh yeah, those are cool, the attache to the back of your car, can haul more stuff, instead of filling up your trunk.
cw: oh no, this is a full mobile home style, washroom, beds, etc
me: <silent>
cw: yeah it was a good deal.
me: if you don't mind, what did it cost you?
cw: 35k
me <silent>
cw: but sucks... if found out my truck can't handle it.
me <silent>
cw: i just bought a new truck, cost me 50k
me <silent>
me: so i guess retirement age moved back to 75 then, <haha>
cw: probably 80

haha, he's cool with me taking pokes at him, but his finances/budgetting are atrocious.

Ouch, this makes my brain hurt. How can people be so casually impulsive with such a dramatic amount of money?

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #20511 on: July 24, 2018, 06:24:51 AM »
Is there such a thing as renting these trucks and campers rather than buying them?

Yes there is, it is similar to AirBNB and the like. www.RVshare.com

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20512 on: July 24, 2018, 06:43:28 AM »
Reading the above Escalade story reminded me of something similar at work.  A co-worker had to go to one of the company vehicles to get some paperwork.  It is parked in the back lot, about 100 yards from the office.  She got in her car and drove to the company car instead of walking.  She did it twice.  No words.

Does she have knee/hip problems? Before my physiotherapy I would have been in agony by the time I reached the company car, let alone walking back again.
No she is a perfectly healthy and young (early 30s).  She has no problem walking, she just doesn't like to.

In this heat and humidity walking is not fun but for that distance it is certainly doable.  So  she does belong on this thread.  Silly girl, not appreciating what her body is capable of.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20513 on: July 24, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
In this heat... HAHAHA... Canadian heat? Come south of the Mason Dixon line for a visit in July/August.

Actually its been really nice this week at times. Just jerking your chain.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20514 on: July 24, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
In this heat... HAHAHA... Canadian heat? Come south of the Mason Dixon line for a visit in July/August.

Right, eh?  When it is super hot and humid we like to say "If we wanted Florida weather we would move to Florida".   And the old standard, "it's not the heat, it's the humidity". Which is equally true in winter, it feels so much colder when it is damp.  ;-)

Of course as we enjoy (mostly) the heat, we know the true reality - winter is coming.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20515 on: July 24, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »

Right, eh?  When it is super hot and humid we like to say "If we wanted Florida weather we would move to Florida".   And the old standard, "it's not the heat, it's the humidity". Which is equally true in winter, it feels so much colder when it is damp.  ;-)

Of course as we enjoy (mostly) the heat, we know the true reality - winter is coming.

Like the game of thrones reference. :)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #20516 on: July 24, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »

oh crap.
Snowbirds!!!!

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20517 on: July 24, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »

Yep, on Canada Day it was 35 but 48 with the humidity (95, 118 for our American friends). I love heat but I just about melted that day. Keep in mind, in winter is it routinely -25 to -30 (-13, -22). Don't ask why I live here....I surely do not know.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20518 on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:50 AM »
Yep, on Canada Day it was 35 but 48 with the humidity (95, 118 for our American friends). I love heat but I just about melted that day. Keep in mind, in winter is it routinely -25 to -30 (-13, -22). Don't ask why I live here....I surely do not know.

+1 Why I live where the air hurts my face

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20519 on: July 24, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
Overheard just now between two older white gentlemen at the water cooler:
“I don’t appreciate all of this diversity crap in the ethics training”.

The rest of the workforce: “Sigh”.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20520 on: July 24, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »

Have they been saying that since 1990? Seems like they're a little behind. I feel like diversity isn't even in the trainings anymore because it's just expected.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #20521 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »
Not direct co-workers of mine, but a group of people I semi-regularly hang out with who all work at the same hospital:

Part 1 -
CW1: Well, I have cats that I want to give sufficient space (fair enough) plus it's harder to find a rental with a cat.
CW2: But you have a whole house, couldn't you take a flatmate for the 2nd bedroom?

Part 2 -
Me: Like, how much? Just trying to help you here as it sounds like you're stressed about money..

It kept on going like this.. all of that while consuming fancy $5 special beers in a bar. Note: our salaries are low so saving $50/month on groceries would already be a huge deal for her. I genuinely wanted to help her as she sounded stressed about money, but she kept coming up with excuses on why she couldn't go to a cheaper gym, eat cheaper food, get a cheaper house or whatever expense I mentioned.
She plays a good game of YesBut!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20522 on: July 24, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »

Have they been saying that since 1990? Seems like they're a little behind. I feel like diversity isn't even in the trainings anymore because it's just expected.

At companies that do more than lip service? Absolutely.

At companies that only do ethics and diversity training so they can point to something when they're inevitably sued? Yeah, not so much.

"I don't see color" is still considered a reasonable approach to diversity in my company.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20523 on: July 24, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
Tidying up the office for an upcoming client visit, my boss picks up a framed copy of the iconic Obama poster and says, "we should probably remove this".
I replied, "Yes, it's depressing."
My boss sighed, I believe in agreement.
The office admin (aged 30) says, "Who is it?"

*sigh*

draculawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20524 on: July 24, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »
I recently found out that everyone I work with still has law school debt.  They’ve all been lawyers for 10-15 years, drive nice cars, take exotic three-week vacations every year. One woman I work with said “oh, yeah, the interest rate is really low so I’m not worried about it. I have like $400,000 in debt and that’s only a little bit of it, so.”

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20525 on: July 24, 2018, 10:16:57 PM »
Wow. I remember when a HS classmate posted on FB a while back about how her law school debt was finally under six figures.
I was floored at the time at that level of student debt. Four times that? I don’t even have words.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #20526 on: July 24, 2018, 10:53:49 PM »

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

YesBut is also a strategy to make sure that the player gets exactly what s/he wants at someone else's expense.

A skilled YesBut player has an unreasonable goal. It doesn't matter what the goal is: maybe it's to live rent-free in someone else's home, or maybe it's to enjoy a higher standard of living than the player's productivity and income justify. The game requires two people: the YesBut player, and the designated "rescuer". It frequently takes months or even years to come to fruition.

The game works like this: the player systematically paints himself or herself into a corner by rejecting anything less than the unreasonable goal, and then creates an objectively predictable crisis. The player keeps it up until a crisis occurs, and the designated rescuer (possibly you) has no choice except to provide the unreasonable goal, or allow the player to experience something truly terrible such as homelessness or bankruptcy. It's a manipulation play that gradually builds up a relationship between the player and the rescuer. Here's an example.

Player: Can I move in with you?
Rescuer: No. You trash the place and let junkies in. Move in with that friend you think so highly of.
Player: Yes, but she does illegal drugs and wants me to do them too!
Rescuer: That's the lifestyle you like, though. You love being around druggies. What about your auntie?
Player: Yes, but she's asking me to pay rent!
Rescuer: So move in with your boyfriend.
Player: Yes, but I've got an order of protection because of the domestic.
Rescuer: So move in with your older brother who's willing to let you stay there in exchange for housework.
Player: Yes, but one of his friends stole everything out of my room!
Rescuer: All right. Here's the contact information of someone who's renting out a room. It's along a major bus route, it's within your budget, it's a clean drug-free household, and you can afford it based on your income.
Player: Yes, but I don't want to live with someone I don't know.
Rescuer: The people you know are mostly low-lifes.
Player: Yes, but I can't afford an apartment on my own.
Rescuer: Sell your car and take the bus to work.
Player: Yes, but I need my car and anyway it's in the shop.
Rescuer: I tell you what. You find someone who's a responsible roommate, so that the two of you earn enough money to qualify for an apartment, and I'll give you the first month's rent and the damage deposit up to $X.
Player: Yes, but I'd rather use the $X for car repairs.
(time passes)
Player: Waaah! The money is all gone and I have nowhere to live! Can I move in with you?
Rescuer: Better go where you'll be able to work your way through. You're going to have to learn to be decent to somebody. Your brother offered to put you up.
(a week later)
Player: I got in a fight with my brother and I'm going to be homeless! Can I move in with you?

The player gets chance after chance to improve his or her situation, but turns up his or her nose at every possible solution except the one his or her heart is set on.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20527 on: July 25, 2018, 12:05:36 AM »
@TheGrimSqueaker nails it!

Can we coin "strategic crisis" as a term? It seems like an oxymoron but the skilled YesBut player makes them happen. They are highly convincing if you are the type to identify the potential for a crisis and then avoid it.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20528 on: July 25, 2018, 06:13:25 AM »
Totally nailed it indeed.

I don't have any friends around at this level of crisis fortunately, but phew that would be tough to keep saying no.

chiefsuave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20529 on: July 25, 2018, 06:24:20 AM »
I walk into the office, first thing I hear.

CW: " If I don't look at my bank account it's like I never spent that money "
Me: Walk immediately out, I don't need this negativity in my life lol

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20530 on: July 25, 2018, 06:38:20 AM »

Can we coin "strategic crisis" as a term? It seems like an oxymoron but the skilled YesBut player makes them happen. They are highly convincing if you are the type to identify the potential for a crisis and then avoid it.

I've been labeling it "voluntary helplessness" but your term may be better.

I think-- but cannot prove-- that it may be an outgrowth of the self-help motivational book concept of focusing on the thing you want, going after it (as in, performing the tasks that produce it as a plausible outcome), and not settling for anything less. Except, of course, for the bit about performing tasks, unless of course it's self-sabotage.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20531 on: July 25, 2018, 07:05:10 AM »

I've been labeling it "voluntary helplessness" but your term may be better.

I think-- but cannot prove-- that it may be an outgrowth of the self-help motivational book concept of focusing on the thing you want, going after it (as in, performing the tasks that produce it as a plausible outcome), and not settling for anything less. Except, of course, for the bit about performing tasks, unless of course it's self-sabotage.

When I was an enabler of this sort of nonsense I was a total sucker for a crisis. There was something about the heightened state of emergency that by-passed my bullshit filters. You know the idea of thinking fast and slow? I might have thinking-in-a-crisis and thinking-well modes.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20532 on: July 25, 2018, 07:19:32 AM »
Problem is, when a normal person has a crisis then it genuinely is a crisis and deserves a crisis level response. When a moocher has a strategic crisis, it kind of is a crisis but it's hard to judge what kind of response it deserves, because it feels weird to give a non-crisis response to a crisis.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #20533 on: July 25, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Mr. Peloton informed me this morning that he's going to be having the exterior of his house painted. We got on the subject because I have to have mine done next year (for maintenance/upkeep reasons), but his reason?

"I hate the color yellow. Now that the inside is so pretty I'm just ready for a change."

Imagine loving the color blue so much you're willing to shell out $5k on it?!?!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20534 on: July 25, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
Mr. Peloton informed me this morning that he's going to be having the exterior of his house painted. We got on the subject because I have to have mine done next year (for maintenance/upkeep reasons), but his reason?

"I hate the color yellow. Now that the inside is so pretty I'm just ready for a change."

Imagine loving the color blue so much you're willing to shell out $5k on it?!?!

Only if it is a Hoovaloo http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Hooloovoo, but then there are ethical issues with painting your house with a superintelligent shade of blue.

Disclosure:  My house has previously been blue ( 3d prior owner).

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20535 on: July 25, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
Problem is, when a normal person has a crisis then it genuinely is a crisis and deserves a crisis level response. When a moocher has a strategic crisis, it kind of is a crisis but it's hard to judge what kind of response it deserves, because it feels weird to give a non-crisis response to a crisis.

Yes, Genius! That is the true evil power of the strategic crisis.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20536 on: July 26, 2018, 12:31:14 AM »

Yes, Genius! That is the true evil power of the strategic crisis.

I have learned much from you, O Wise One.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #20537 on: July 26, 2018, 04:23:58 AM »
Stress reduces your ability to think clearly. By creating the crisis, the moocher generates a bunch of stress in a target who genuinely cares about them, reducing the target's ability to think clearly about the long-term issue.

It's even more effective when the crisis is time-sensitive - the landlord will toss me out tomorrow, the bill is due this week, etc. It works the same way as the 'one day only' sales technique - rush someone into making an impulsive decision before they can calm down and think things through.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20538 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

YesBut is also a strategy to make sure that the player gets exactly what s/he wants at someone else's expense.

A skilled YesBut player has an unreasonable goal. It doesn't matter what the goal is: maybe it's to live rent-free in someone else's home, or maybe it's to enjoy a higher standard of living than the player's productivity and income justify. The game requires two people: the YesBut player, and the designated "rescuer". It frequently takes months or even years to come to fruition.

The game works like this: the player systematically paints himself or herself into a corner by rejecting anything less than the unreasonable goal, and then creates an objectively predictable crisis. The player keeps it up until a crisis occurs, and the designated rescuer (possibly you) has no choice except to provide the unreasonable goal, or allow the player to experience something truly terrible such as homelessness or bankruptcy. It's a manipulation play that gradually builds up a relationship between the player and the rescuer. Here's an example.

Rescuer: No. You trash the place and let junkies in. Move in with that friend you think so highly of.
Rescuer: That's the lifestyle you like, though. You love being around druggies. What about your auntie?
Rescuer: So move in with your older brother who's willing to let you stay there in exchange for housework.
Rescuer: All right. Here's the contact information of someone who's renting out a room. It's along a major bus route, it's within your budget, it's a clean drug-free household, and you can afford it based on your income.
Rescuer: I tell you what. You find someone who's a responsible roommate, so that the two of you earn enough money to qualify for an apartment, and I'll give you the first month's rent and the damage deposit up to $X.
(time passes)
Player: Waaah! The money is all gone and I have nowhere to live! Can I move in with you?
Rescuer: Better go where you'll be able to work your way through. You're going to have to learn to be decent to somebody. Your brother offered to put you up.
(a week later)
Player: I got in a fight with my brother and I'm going to be homeless! Can I move in with you?

The player gets chance after chance to improve his or her situation, but turns up his or her nose at every possible solution except the one his or her heart is set on.

Wow, this is pure gold. I would say that it should be reproduced and taught in school so that people could learn to protect themselves, but budding YesBut players might use it to hone their game.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20539 on: July 26, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
"You're lucky," said a colleague when I handed in my notice recently. "I won't be able to retire until I'm in my late sixties, with university fees to pay."

This'll be the colleague about whom I joke that the only reason she has a job is so that she's got an address to which Amazon can send parcels without her husband finding out, for she certainly doesn't come here to work.

It's her husband's birthday soon. He doesn't want a fuss. So she's only organised a small celebration. Just a little marquee for a few guests, outside catering, a solo singer and a band.

I suspect priorities rather than luck.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20540 on: July 26, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

(time passes)
(a week later)

Wow, this is pure gold. I would say that it should be reproduced and taught in school so that people could learn to protect themselves, but budding YesBut players might use it to hone their game.

Definitely second this!  This dialogue should be used for defensive purposes only. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20541 on: July 26, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

(time passes)
(a week later)

Definitely second this!  This dialogue should be used for defensive purposes only.

Rescuer is doing a bunch of unpaid labor there, which I object to. The answer is, and always is, "No." Might say it a million times, but "No." Puts the problem back where it belongs: with Player.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20542 on: July 26, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

(time passes)
(a week later)

Rescuer is doing a bunch of unpaid labor there, which I object to. The answer is, and always is, "No." Might say it a million times, but "No." Puts the problem back where it belongs: with Player.

That is the only successful response. It seems to become difficult to respond that way when Rescuer has some kind of perceived or actual duty to Player.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20543 on: July 26, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »

Part 2 -

Oooh I know someone like that co-worker :( She eats with her boyfriend at Happy Italy 3-4 times a week because that's "cheaper than cooking, because we're vegetarians and that's expensive" . 7,50 + a drink is cheap for a restaurant, but seriously, for €20 you can make veggie pasta for the entire street if you want. But of course then you'd have to cook and all.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20544 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
Caught up with a few ex-coworkers whom I haven’t seen for five years this past week. One of them changed jobs for a 30% raise. Their gross income is now $100k per year. Good, right? Well, they are also:

- Sending their kid to private school to the tune of $15-18k per year
- living in a $500k home with accompanying mortgage
- eating organic everything
- driving a pretty new SUV

They also want to have another kid and were talking about needing to upgrade to a larger home. Their complaint was that they could not afford a larger home in their desired area. So while they are looking for said potentially non-existent home in their price range, they are currently actively trying to have a kid.

I honestly don’t know how they are able to cover their expenses each month.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20545 on: July 26, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
Today outside the supermarket with my two kids we got bailed up by a nice young woman selling for a company called Eat Fresh, or something. Apparently, they send you a box with a week's worth of food chopped up and ready to go in the pan and a sheet with a recipe on it. In this way you get to pay more for fresh food and recipes than you would normally, but unlike paying more at a restaurant you still have to cook and do the dishes afterwards.

People do apparently sign up for it.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #20546 on: July 27, 2018, 01:13:41 AM »
That is the only successful response. It seems to become difficult to respond that way when Rescuer has some kind of perceived or actual duty to Player.
I suspect Player is a certain lost cause you talked about before?

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #20547 on: July 27, 2018, 07:16:24 AM »
Today outside the supermarket with my two kids we got bailed up by a nice young woman selling for a company called Eat Fresh, or something. Apparently, they send you a box with a week's worth of food chopped up and ready to go in the pan and a sheet with a recipe on it. In this way you get to pay more for fresh food and recipes than you would normally, but unlike paying more at a restaurant you still have to cook and do the dishes afterwards.

People do apparently sign up for it.
We have several such suppliers over here. They are targeting people who don't want to cut up the veggies or feel that cooking by itself is a hassle. Basically this is the same reason people buy pre-diced veggies in the supermarket but with the added bonus that they don't have to shop for it themselves.
The fact that they have zero control on quality or freshness is, in my opinion, a bit disturbing.

In the meantime, it's 38 degrees C over here (that's extreme.for over here), so I'm not cooking either. Luckily we have cold salad with garden vegetables! The tomatoes are lovely and much more tasty than the shop bought ones :D

I have bought a mobile airco though to keep the bedrooms from overheating (second hand, only one month old but 70€ under the shop price). It's set to maintain the current indoor temp and not lower it (which is around 27C now). It's doing a pretty decent job too. Power usage is mostly compensated by the solar panels.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20548 on: July 27, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
Had a weird Anti-Mustachian/Lazy-ass person encounter at work yesterday.  Was doing a small construction project in the parking lot of a busy little shopping centre.  I noticed that the area I coned-off (2 parking spaces, now full of tools and supplies) kept collecting empty shopping carts when I wasn't looking, which I would then have to put away because they were in my way.  8 or 10 moved carts later I had the pleasure of watching it in action.  A lady parked next to the area I was working (in an old Dodge Durango, figures) and walked into the liquor store, 10 min later she came out with a shopping cart of booze and loaded it into the back of the Durango and left the cart in my area and proceeded to go into the grocery store, of course 10 min later she comes out with ANOTHER cart, loads her stuff into the Durango Dump Truck and leaves her second cart next to her other one right in my way.  Thanks lady.  So I went up to her and said "Hi, do you mind putting the carts back, because otherwise I have to do it and I've already had to move like 8 or 10 carts out of my way today". She didn't say anything but moved the liquor store cart all of like 30' back to where it belongs and then proceeded to take a 10 min smoke break.  She then got in the Dump Truck and drove off without putting away the second cart when I was off in another area.  I hate people. 

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20549 on: July 27, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
Had a weird Anti-Mustachian/Lazy-ass person encounter at work yesterday.  Was doing a small construction project in the parking lot of a busy little shopping centre.  I noticed that the area I coned-off (2 parking spaces, now full of tools and supplies) kept collecting empty shopping carts when I wasn't looking, which I would then have to put away because they were in my way.  8 or 10 moved carts later I had the pleasure of watching it in action.  A lady parked next to the area I was working (in an old Dodge Durango, figures) and walked into the liquor store, 10 min later she came out with a shopping cart of booze and loaded it into the back of the Durango and left the cart in my area and proceeded to go into the grocery store, of course 10 min later she comes out with ANOTHER cart, loads her stuff into the Durango Dump Truck and leaves her second cart next to her other one right in my way.  Thanks lady.  So I went up to her and said "Hi, do you mind putting the carts back, because otherwise I have to do it and I've already had to move like 8 or 10 carts out of my way today". She didn't say anything but moved the liquor store cart all of like 30' back to where it belongs and then proceeded to take a 10 min smoke break.  She then got in the Dump Truck and drove off without putting away the second cart when I was off in another area.  I hate people.

People not putting their carts away kills me. More than once I've given someone shit for leaving their cart either free in the parking lot or next to the cart storage area inside (like, in the lobby but not slid into the back of the next cart). Seriously, how much energy does it take to neatly put your cart back in the bullpen?