Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253273 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3600 on: August 10, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
...I'm typing this in my surf shorts (Goodwill, $3.99)...

My goal on FIRE next year is to post to my Facebook page: I've worn shorts for 45 days in a row. "45" is an arbitrary, but attractive number to me.

I never post on Facebook and barely read it, but I do believe that news is worthy of posting.

So Nords, how many days have you worn shorts in a row? Probably you measure that in years, not weeks.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3601 on: August 10, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
Every time I see a well-dressed person (of either gender), my initial attraction is tempered by a little flashing yellow light that warns "High maintenance".

I'm typing this in my surf shorts (Goodwill, $3.99) and my ratty tank top (Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, 6 for $20).  And, of course, I wear rubber slippers almost exclusively-- to the point where my feet are at least a size bigger than they were during my dress-code years.  I've happily given up on suits, ties, tie clips, collar stays, vests, overcoats, cuff links, socks, dress shoes, and even dress jackets.

I'm pretty sure I can't pronounce "Hermès" correctly, either...
Yep.  Shorts and t-shirt from Castaways thrift shop, flip-flops as I type.  I, too, see high maintenance every time and after talking with them learn that first impressions are normally right.  One woman has a mani-pedi, hair color and style, and spa treatment once a month and I didn't have the nerve to ask the cost.

Hermès is that guy on Futurama, for those who have tv.

A bit ironic is my 78 year old friend who is now going on cruises with his spouse due to her receiving a large inheritance.  Seems she is making him buy dress clothes and even a tux just to go on the cruises.  He normally wears his old "work" clothes around town.  He even had to buy a pair of leather shoes!!  Aaaarrrgggghhhh.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3602 on: August 10, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

This doesn't surprise me. I stopped in Zurich a few weeks ago while traveling across Europe and my god, everyone looked like they stepped off a fashion runway. I loved how perfectly put together and fashionable everyone looked - people don't really do that in Vancouver, especially guys, so it's nice to look at.

Really? You wouldn't say that had you traveled through Milan as well. :)

I haven't been to Milan, but I've been to Paris, London, Vienna, Budapest, Marseille, Nice, and smaller villages in France and Italy - Swiss people were above and beyond the best dressed! I have a great appreciation for well-dressed guys, because it is SO rare here - most Vancouver guys live in beach shorts or sweatpants with ratty tank tops or t-shirts, and flip flops to finish the look. "Dressing up for a night out" here means wearing jeans that don't have holes in them (or have "fashionable" holes").

Funny how different people see it differently. Maybe that's because I'm looking at girls instead and they are neither particularly pretty nor well dressed here...
Every time I see a well-dressed person (of either gender), my initial attraction is tempered by a little flashing yellow light that warns "High maintenance".

I'm typing this in my surf shorts (Goodwill, $3.99) and my ratty tank top (Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, 6 for $20).  And, of course, I wear rubber slippers almost exclusively-- to the point where my feet are at least a size bigger than they were during my dress-code years.  I've happily given up on suits, ties, tie clips, collar stays, vests, overcoats, cuff links, socks, dress shoes, and even dress jackets.

I'm pretty sure I can't pronounce "Hermès" correctly, either...

Saw this a couple days ago. Seemed appropriate to the conversation.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:39:05 PM by Travis »

jordanread

« Reply #3603 on: August 10, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »
"Dressing up for a night out" here means wearing jeans that don't have holes in them (or have "fashionable" holes").

There's a different way to dress for a night out?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3604 on: August 10, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
I prefer looking at well dressed women, don't you? :)

jordanread

« Reply #3605 on: August 10, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »

I tried writing like 3 different responses to this, but they all made me sound creepy...:D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3606 on: August 10, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »

I tried writing like 3 different responses to this, but they all made me sound creepy...:D

I was going to say I prefer undressed but yeah this is going downhill fast :P

jordanread

« Reply #3607 on: August 10, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »

That was my first try...then it went to something about yoga pants, and then something about the "work around the house stuff" and then something about getting dirty.

Ralphus27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3608 on: August 10, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »
I was talking with a coworker about our 401k a few months ago.  He is a pretty smart/nice guy, 25 years old, about to finish his MBA at the local regional university.  He didn't really understand the concept of why you would save money for retirement.  He then explained that he thought you just worked X number of years, retired, and someone kept paying you.  Even after explaining why a 401k is important, I had the feeling that he didn't 100% believe you could work 30-40 years and have nothing other than social security.

I have always had the impression that the guy lives paycheck to paycheck.  He was in a panic after learning he wasn't eligible for our annual bonus (had been hired on full time less than six months prior to date of bonus) because he had already spent the amount he planned on receiving. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3609 on: August 10, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »

That was my first try...then it went to something about yoga pants, and then something about the "work around the house stuff" and then something about getting dirty.
Lol, well at least you guys knew it sounded creepy, that is a head over some people. :P

jordanread

« Reply #3610 on: August 10, 2014, 05:53:59 PM »
Lol, well at least you guys knew it sounded creepy, that is a head over some people. :P

I still almost said it, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to state it positively (a goal of mine here). :-)

Although I've thought about it a bit...Something like:
Ladies out there, just know that you are beautiful. Clothes don't make the woman, the woman makes the woman. Be awesome, and don't give a fuck about what others think about you. That is more attractive than anything else.

Not perfect, but close.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3611 on: August 10, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
...I'm typing this in my surf shorts (Goodwill, $3.99)...

My goal on FIRE next year is to post to my Facebook page: I've worn shorts for 45 days in a row. "45" is an arbitrary, but attractive number to me.

I never post on Facebook and barely read it, but I do believe that news is worthy of posting.

So Nords, how many days have you worn shorts in a row? Probably you measure that in years, not weeks.
I had to think about that one.  And then my thoughts kept getting interrupted by thinking about looking at well-dressed women.

When we're in the islands, the last time I wore pants all day long was when I was last in uniform:  February 2002, over 12 years ago.  I still have to wear pants a few times a month around town, but I try to minimize the number of times I go to those places.

The last time I had to wear pants all day long was when I was in Colorado in March 2011.  It was freezing, too!

T-shirts are a different story.  I have them in tank tops, cutoff sleeves, short sleeves, and long sleeves.  You know, one type for each of our four seasons...

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #3612 on: August 11, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »

Now I wonder if I dress nice enough for people to think I'm high maintenance.

Astromarine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3613 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:38 AM »
I've lived in Switzerland 13 years, and I've never heard of anyone being that ridiculously wasteful. Wow. Then again, I work for a software dev (doing banking software, natch. This IS switzerland) rather than a bank.

Was he at least front office? I could see that requiring a change in tie, barely, I guess. Still, 200 bucks. Wow.

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3614 on: August 11, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »

Now I wonder if I dress nice enough for people to think I'm high maintenance.

Honestly, I don't give a flying fuck.. You don't really need to spend $60 for a shirt to dress well in the US. Clothing in the US is way cheaper than Europe, yet your average American dresses worse than an average Swiss, Swede, Norwegian. Levi's jeans you can purchase for under $40 bucks here costs over $100 in Norway..

So, I am a consultant and recently I decided to dress at work like how I would dress if I was in Sweden. It is amazing to see the sharp increase in girls checking you out or staring at you in and outside the office.. Amazing..

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3615 on: August 11, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
A bit ironic is my 78 year old friend who is now going on cruises with his spouse due to her receiving a large inheritance.  Seems she is making him buy dress clothes and even a tux just to go on the cruises.  He normally wears his old "work" clothes around town.  He even had to buy a pair of leather shoes!!  Aaaarrrgggghhhh.

Sorry but if I "had" to get a tux I would totally go clean shaving for a week and acquire Walther PPK.

... It is amazing to see the sharp increase in girls checking you out or staring at you in and outside the office.. Amazing..

Try dressing well and carrying a dozen roses down a busy city sidewalk, E-V-E-R-Y woman will turn and look.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3616 on: August 11, 2014, 09:07:59 AM »

Honestly, I don't give a flying fuck.. You don't really need to spend $60 for a shirt to dress well in the US. Clothing in the US is way cheaper than Europe, yet your average American dresses worse than an average Swiss, Swede, Norwegian. Levi's jeans you can purchase for under $40 bucks here costs over $100 in Norway..

Is the same type of clothing really that much more expensive over there (i.e. same quality fabric/construction)?

I mean, Levi's are an American brand, so it makes sense that they would be more expensive in Europe, taking into account exporting/importing expenses.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3617 on: August 11, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »
I mean, Levi's are an American brand, so it makes sense that they would be more expensive in Europe, taking into account exporting/importing expenses.

The majority of pairs of Levis are made outside the US, so they are imported to the US also.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3618 on: August 11, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »

Is the same type of clothing really that much more expensive over there (i.e. same quality fabric/construction)?

Most of the cotton also comes from the South in the U.S.

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3619 on: August 11, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
Had a meeting with my boss a little while ago.  He'd been lobbying me to become a manager.  "It's not that bad."  His argument in favor was something like: "eventually you're going to look up at the guy above you and realize how much more he's making and how little extra he's doing for it relative to you."

I told him that I don't really measure myself relative to others in that way, think I'm doing well enough on the money front, and that I'd been thinking recently that I might have the best job in the world right where I am.  I point out that I'm high enough up to be taken seriously, "but not so high that you have to be inserting yourself in all sorts of stuff you don't care about" he finishes for me.  Then he starts waxing nostalgic about all the great things about my job that you lose when you get promoted into his.

I sincerely thanked him again for being my boss, and we moved on to technical stuff.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3620 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
I'm picturing our resident Swiss Mustachians being super stylish and beautiful now. Am I right, or do you guys wear flip flops and ratty sweat pants?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3621 on: August 11, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
I'm picturing our resident Swiss Mustachians being super stylish and beautiful now. Am I right, or do you guys wear flip flops and ratty sweat pants?

:)

I'm not a particularly stylish guy, however I wear no flip flops, sweat pants or old t-shirts except on a beach or while doing sports. I'm usually dressed in jeans (good ones) and a polo shirt while off-work. At work it's some combination of slack pants, jeans, dress shirt and a polo shirt. I spend a lot of time in a lab not in a bank meeting clients so there is no need for a formal wear.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #3622 on: August 11, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
Had a meeting with my boss a little while ago.  He'd been lobbying me to become a manager.  "It's not that bad."  His argument in favor was something like: "eventually you're going to look up at the guy above you and realize how much more he's making and how little extra he's doing for it relative to you."

I told him that I don't really measure myself relative to others in that way, think I'm doing well enough on the money front, and that I'd been thinking recently that I might have the best job in the world right where I am.  I point out that I'm high enough up to be taken seriously, "but not so high that you have to be inserting yourself in all sorts of stuff you don't care about" he finishes for me.  Then he starts waxing nostalgic about all the great things about my job that you lose when you get promoted into his.

I sincerely thanked him again for being my boss, and we moved on to technical stuff.

This is my Dad's philosophy. He works almost strictly 40 hours a week, and hasn'r managed anyone in over 10 years. So many people look at the extra money, but not that their hours may up by 50% or more, or what my Dad says is the worst: wondering whether you have your people assigned and doing the right things while you're not working.

Yeah, money isn't worth that much to me.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3623 on: August 11, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
Broken cover glass is generally not that hard/expensive to fix. Many phones takes some special tools to separate adhesive, which is hard to DIY, but it's definitely a thing people do. Check craigslist/classifieds/etc - I bet you can find someone local. Falling that, ebay should have lots of choices.

If your phone isn't glued, it's probably only a $10-15 part. If it is, maybe $75.

If you're in a decent-sized city, just find one of the offbrand mobile phone stores near the local university. They'll swap the glass out for about the same price as doing it yourself, and you won't even need to get the tools.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #3624 on: August 11, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »

Yes. In Denmark clothes seemed to be 2x-3x more expensive across the board relative to the US. Stupid things like socks and undershirts were more like 4x-5x. The difference is significant enough that Europeans on business trips to our US office come with empty suitcases. I'm not sure if this is a function of taxes, shipping costs, or supply and demand. My own pet theory is that Europeans don't measure each other's social status as much by truck size or house size as they do by daily appearance... so they're willing to spend more on clothes.

+1 on the Swiss being very well put together. The perfect example is the contrast when you take a flight from the US to Zurich... the Europeans wear relatively nice clothes and the Americans look like they are in their pajamas.

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3625 on: August 11, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »

They are all same quality and they come from India or China or another cheap labor country..

$100  is about 690 Swedish kronor.

Converse All Star: 800 SKR ($115)
http://converse.se/en/converse/8021-converse-all-star-slip-ox-radio-blue.html

Levis' 501 jeans : 899 SKR ($130)
http://www.levi.com/SE/sv_SE/men-jeans/p/005010162

Norway is usually even more expensive.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3626 on: August 11, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
I was talking with a coworker about our 401k a few months ago.  He is a pretty smart/nice guy, 25 years old, about to finish his MBA at the local regional university.  He didn't really understand the concept of why you would save money for retirement.  He then explained that he thought you just worked X number of years, retired, and someone kept paying you.  Even after explaining why a 401k is important, I had the feeling that he didn't 100% believe you could work 30-40 years and have nothing other than social security.

I have always had the impression that the guy lives paycheck to paycheck.  He was in a panic after learning he wasn't eligible for our annual bonus (had been hired on full time less than six months prior to date of bonus) because he had already spent the amount he planned on receiving.

Wow. I just ... Wow.

Badass.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3627 on: August 11, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »

They are all same quality and they come from India or China or another cheap labor country..

$100  is about 690 Swedish kronor.

Converse All Star: 800 SKR ($115)
http://converse.se/en/converse/8021-converse-all-star-slip-ox-radio-blue.html

Levis' 501 jeans : 899 SKR ($130)
http://www.levi.com/SE/sv_SE/men-jeans/p/005010162

Norway is usually even more expensive.
I was thinking Norway was one of the most expensive countries to live in altogether. If you can find it I would pick a couple more European countries to compare.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #3628 on: August 11, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Probably Norway and Sweden are about even. Many people here go to Germany, Italy and France to buy stuff (food, clothing, furniture).

My Hermès-tie-wearing CW brought his smudged tie to the dry cleaner this morning. However, they said that the silk would not survive the process.
So, he went back to Hermès to ask if they would clean it. Nope, nothing doing. That’s it then.

The CW does deal with clients. But on that particular Friday afternoon he had no appointments, so he could easily have gone without a tie.

At the bank, we never ever wear jeans to work. I think I saw my boss once in jeans when he came in on his off day to fetch something.

I sooo envy Nords. All day, every day in shorts. Must be great! I’m looking forward to doing that myself in 3 years’ time!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3629 on: August 11, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
Jobs in banking, law, politics etc. are kind of special in being particularly formal as far as the dress code is concerned. In other kinds of companies it doesn't matter as much. Even the head of our department (a woman) occasionally comes to work in jeans. They probably cost 300$, but still.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3630 on: August 11, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »

Sorry but if I "had" to get a tux I would totally go clean shaving for a week and acquire Walther PPK.

LOL!  I think it crossed his mind.  He probably has one already.  This is Texas...:)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3631 on: August 11, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Yeah, I don't dress all that well. Aside from when I am on the road, I can wear shorts and button down shirts and not get called out. That said, I am starting to dress a little better because I have noticed that I am treated differently by the customers and management.

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3632 on: August 11, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
The how do you dress comments remind me of this story: http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/barrier.asp

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3633 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »
Overheard at happy hour....

Some guy (I'm guessing he's in his late 50s or early 60s) talking about an article he read on Americans moving out of the country to retire to places in central and south America due to the lower cost of living.

Me: I asked him how much a typical person receives in Social Security while retired since he mentioned not being able to live on that.
He: He assumed about $30,000. Then he said no one can live on that in the US.
Me: I said, well maybe you can live on that if your mortgage is paid off.
He: He thought about it and said 1) nobody has their mortgage paid off and 2) even so he couldn't imagine anyone being able to live on $30,000.

Everyone else in that conversation circle then quickly nodded in agreement with him. I quickly changed the subject since I just paid off my mortgage at 45 and $30,000 is pretty close to my FIRE budget. It's all a matter of perspective, I guess...

divinvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3634 on: August 11, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
The other day my boss told me that the owner at a client of ours just bought a new Tesla, and has a $1,300 monthly car payment. Wow.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3635 on: August 11, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
The other day my boss told me that the owner at a client of ours just bought a new Tesla, and has a $1,300 monthly car payment. Wow.
Not bad considering most of us probably live on less than that altogether.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3636 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »

I was going to say that if you have to finance you can't afford it, but Looks like they are offering 3.5% apr... In which case I suspect at some people here might take that rate (if not on a tesla)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3637 on: August 11, 2014, 10:41:02 PM »
Yeah... I know plenty of people (hello, bay area) who can pay cash for a tesla but didn't. Why tie up that much liquidity all at once? But everyone wants a tesla, which is only a slight exaggeration. I think my parking lot has as many teslas as civics.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3638 on: August 11, 2014, 11:46:29 PM »
Probably Norway and Sweden are about even. Many people here go to Germany, Italy and France to buy stuff (food, clothing, furniture).

Not at all: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Sweden&country2=Norway&city1=Stockholm&city2=Oslo

Here people are driving to Sweden to buy stuff...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3639 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »
Yeah... I know plenty of people (hello, bay area) who can pay cash for a tesla but didn't. Why tie up that much liquidity all at once? But everyone wants a tesla, which is only a slight exaggeration. I think my parking lot has as many teslas as civics.

Sure, I want one... but I don't want to pay for one.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3640 on: August 12, 2014, 09:14:11 AM »

Sure, I want one... but I don't want to pay for one.

This, tenfold.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3641 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
I work for a Swiss bank.

Two CWs go out for lunch (at a local restaurant, at least USD 45 each).
One CW’s tie falls into the soup and is now smudged.
He goes out and buys a new tie.

From Hermès, because he “always buys his ties at Hermès”. Costs over USD 200.

Swear to god, 2 weekends ago, a lady at a garage sale has a bunch of Tommy Hilfiger ties in a box. The box says $4. I say "$4 for the whole box of ties, right?" She looks at me like I grew a second head. "No, each tie. But there are ones over on that rack for $1."

I mosey on over and there's a freaking Hermès tie. FOR $1. I yoinked it and hussled on out of there. Couldn't believe my luck and the fact that she overvalued a Tommy over an Hermès. Can't wait to get it listed and make a huge profit on it!

It's a really nice tie but there's no way I'd every pay more than $10 for a tie. I wear most of them one time and that's it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:41:27 AM by eyePod »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3642 on: August 12, 2014, 11:00:48 AM »
OMG, that car clown is AWESOME. They really exist, these people!?!
How about building an underground parking lot? Then its not so steep :D:D:D

(was caught drinking a beer in his parked car at a park a block away from his house),
Where you live its illegal to drink in a parked car? I should think you can do whatever you want in your car. (esp. if you are in the US). Of course, when he is driving after drinking... (here in germany thats mostly defined as "engine running", which is very logical, because then the car could move of its own.)

Germany's pretty cool about drinking.  (I think one of the reasons they don't have many alcohol issues is they don't give it the mystique Americans do by making it verboten.). But there are still issues.  Anytime a cop, even the Polizei, find you sitting in a functioning car drinking it's not a stretch for them to assume you may have driven there while drinking or intended to commit a DUI.  For Germany in particular you never want to grab a drink after a fender bender until well afterwards.  The Polizei were known to go to to a residence to conduct a breathalyzer test shortly after an accident and blowing the test to them was blowing the test.

This is actually a good way to make the breath test inconclusive. If you can prove you drank AFTER the incident, and then there's a breathalyzer, there's no way they can say what your BA was at the time of the incident. But seriously, don't f'ing drink and drive.

At least in Norway they've thought of this; It is illegal to drink alcohol for 4 hours (I think that's the number) after you've been in an accident.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3643 on: August 12, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
I work for a Swiss bank.

Two CWs go out for lunch (at a local restaurant, at least USD 45 each).
One CW’s tie falls into the soup and is now smudged.
He goes out and buys a new tie.

From Hermès, because he “always buys his ties at Hermès”. Costs over USD 200.

Swear to god, 2 weekends ago, a lady at a garage sale has a bunch of Tommy Hilfiger ties in a box. The box says $4. I say "$4 for the whole box of ties, right?" She looks at me like I grew a second head. "No, each tie. But there are ones over on that rack for $1."

I mosey on over and there's a freaking Hermès tie. FOR $1. I yoinked it and hussled on out of there. Couldn't believe my luck and the fact that she overvalued a Tommy over an Hermès. Can't wait to get it listed and make a huge profit on it!

It's a really nice tie but there's no way I'd every pay more than $10 for a tie. I wear most of them one time and that's it.

Wow!  I look forward to reading about this flip on your blog. 

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3644 on: August 12, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
Was just chatting with our local Fedex guy. Talking about the perks my office provides... one of them is that our company buys us lunch every day (very very awesome for my grocery budget). He said that, even on a good day, he "can't" spend less than $10 a day buying lunch, and that $50 a week and $200 a month just on lunch really sucks! Tried to convince him to start brown-bagging it, and he laughed it off saying he can't do that because he's a bachelor and doesn't have a wife to do that for him.

I think my tongue is bleeding from biting it so hard...

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #3645 on: August 12, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
Was just chatting with our local Fedex guy. Talking about the perks my office provides... one of them is that our company buys us lunch every day (very very awesome for my grocery budget). He said that, even on a good day, he "can't" spend less than $10 a day buying lunch, and that $50 a week and $200 a month just on lunch really sucks! Tried to convince him to start brown-bagging it, and he laughed it off saying he can't do that because he's a bachelor and doesn't have a wife to do that for him.

I think my tongue is bleeding from biting it so hard...

Is it possible that was meant as a joke?  It sounds like the kind of thing I might say to friends (while brown bagging it...)

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #3646 on: August 12, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
Maybe his mommy can do it for him.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3647 on: August 12, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
Those guys are so busy, I would think they wouldn't even have time for lunch.

It would be so much easier to eat a brow bagged lunch in the truck.

My parents have always packed their lunches, I wonder how much it saved them over their 40+ year marriage.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #3648 on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »

Not at all: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Sweden&country2=Norway&city1=Stockholm&city2=Oslo

Here people are driving to Sweden to buy stuff...

Sorry, NorwegianGuy. I meant Switzerland, not Sweden. Probably Norway and Switzerland are about even. I can't believe I made that mistake!
Thanks for the link - interesting!!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3649 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »
Switzerland is significantly cheaper. More like Sweden not Norway.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!