Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253427 times)

galaxie

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #8700 on: June 17, 2015, 08:06:44 PM »
I like how I didn't even think people would actually pay for the low-grade/overpriced makeup and perfume there.  Their bras are worth it (especially if you are larger up top), but the rest of the stuff - really?!?

Actually, anyone who has tried actually quality undergarments will tell you that VS is crap. I mean, I still have some because it's cheap, but it is not well made at all.

Ok, gotta ask. What brands do you consider quality? I've been happy with VS, so if I can find something even better I'll be in heaven. Particularly if it's cheaper.

I also would like to know!  I've been having good luck with Maidenform bras lately, but I purchase them for about $6 each at Ross and get at least 2 years of use out of them.  Usually the underwire wears through the fabric, so once I've been stabbed a few times, I throw it out.  ;)

I like Chantelle.  I stopped shopping at VS went the quality took a nosedive and the prices went up.  I would rather pay a little more for a much higher quality item.

I really like Soma.  Their underwear never shows under clothing and stays in place all day.

I agree, Chantelle bras are great.  They are expensive and never ever go on sale, but they are just great.  I've got enough junk in the frunk that I care about bras, and these are my favorite.
I also like Wacoal, which I can often find at TJ Maxx.  They are usually less pretty than Chantelle but just as effective.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8701 on: June 17, 2015, 11:31:36 PM »
Hey guys, what kind of jock straps do you like to wear?  I prefer to freeball.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #8702 on: June 18, 2015, 05:32:50 AM »
Hey guys, what kind of jock straps do you like to wear?  I prefer to freeball.

Boxer Briefs 4E - best of both worlds

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8703 on: June 18, 2015, 06:27:01 AM »
If the hunting trip is in Texas, that's a pretty cheap figure. Unlike more normal parts of the United States, there is very little huntable land in TX. So the land owners can charge thousands to people even for hunting quail, turkeys, or deer. Then there are the big game ranches, where you pay sometimes in the tens of thousands to 'stalk' exotic African and Asian ungulates.

Texas is the 2nd biggest state with over a quarter million square miles.  Does it really have very little huntable land?  I find that mind boggling.

Don't they pay people to hunt feral pigs? I heard there were millions of them creating property damage around the state.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8704 on: June 18, 2015, 06:27:22 AM »
If the hunting trip is in Texas, that's a pretty cheap figure. Unlike more normal parts of the United States, there is very little huntable land in TX. So the land owners can charge thousands to people even for hunting quail, turkeys, or deer. Then there are the big game ranches, where you pay sometimes in the tens of thousands to 'stalk' exotic African and Asian ungulates.
You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means ;)

Even if you eat everything you shoot, this is still many times the cost of the food in question - so the rest of the $$ is recreation. The fact that many Texans are in the habit of paying high prices for this type of recreation doesn't make it cheap.

Heh. Maybe we need a new word meaning, 'inexpensive relative to what things normally cost in Texas'.  Except that a lot of stuff IS cheap here...just not hunting.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8705 on: June 18, 2015, 06:33:10 AM »

Texas is the 2nd biggest state with over a quarter million square miles.  Does it really have very little huntable land?  I find that mind boggling.

Don't they pay people to hunt feral pigs? I heard there were millions of them creating property damage around the state.

They, meaning landowners? Probably some do. The etiquette that is often practiced is that if you 'know someone' and get an in to hunt for free on their land, you shoot any feral hogs you see as a matter of courtesy. If you feel ambitious, you can butcher them for meat, but hog butchering is apparently a whole new level of gross (I've never tried, though I've helped butcher many deer and butchered various small game), so many hunters just leave the hogs and don't bother.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8706 on: June 18, 2015, 06:42:06 AM »

They, meaning landowners? Probably some do. The etiquette that is often practiced is that if you 'know someone' and get an in to hunt for free on their land, you shoot any feral hogs you see as a matter of courtesy. If you feel ambitious, you can butcher them for meat, but hog butchering is apparently a whole new level of gross (I've never tried, though I've helped butcher many deer and butchered various small game), so many hunters just leave the hogs and don't bother.

They meaning the government.  Many counties offer a tiny reward for each hog bagged.

How is butchering a hog a new level of gross above butchering a deer, or a domesticated hog?  Seems like it would be worth it for all that free pork. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8707 on: June 18, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »

They meaning the government.  Many counties offer a tiny reward for each hog bagged.

How is butchering a hog a new level of gross above butchering a deer, or a domesticated hog?  Seems like it would be worth it for all that free pork.

I had to Google for info, but yes apparently some Texas counties pay between 2 and 5$ per hog.  But again, you need access to land first, so I'm not sure if that applies on private and public lands, or what. I haven't been around feral hog butchering, so can't speak from first hand experience. Several people who are experienced hunters said the fat is very greasy and stinky, which makes it more unpleasant than average.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8708 on: June 18, 2015, 08:02:53 AM »
A coworker just spent $2400 on food and souvenirs for 4 people at Disney World last week.

An so paid $2,400 to get steamed in the Florida heat as well.  So much fun...

KisKis

• Stubble
« Reply #8709 on: June 18, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
I had to Google for info, but yes apparently some Texas counties pay between 2 and 5$ per hog.  But again, you need access to land first, so I'm not sure if that applies on private and public lands, or what. I haven't been around feral hog butchering, so can't speak from first hand experience. Several people who are experienced hunters said the fat is very greasy and stinky, which makes it more unpleasant than average.

In Alabama here, and I am a relatively picky eater, but I love wild pork meat.  It really almost tastes like steak.  I have had no problems with the fat, though butchering a nursing or pregnant sow does get a bit overwhelming.  Hogs are considered an invasive species in Alabama, so there is no closed season and no bag limits.  My husband's family has private land, and we all get so excited when hogs are spotted on the game cams.  It ranks right up there with venison backstrap. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8710 on: June 18, 2015, 09:16:43 AM »

All I can say is that if you are going to kill something because you think it's feral, be absolutely certain that it is.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/18/texas-cat-killed/26004455/

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8711 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
A coworker just spent $2400 on food and souvenirs for 4 people at Disney World last week.

An so paid $2,400 to get steamed in the Florida heat as well.  So much fun...

Me, my 2 brothers, best friend, and fiance's brother just spent 4 days in Tampa (with an unplanned adventure at the end in Philadelphia) for my bachelor party and for game 5 of the Stanley Cup. We spent a little bit more than $2,500 for that. Actually a lot a bit more. And it was totally worth it.

But I wouldn't be interested in seeing the rat.

AvisJinx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8712 on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of something called a "half-birthday?" I overheard a group at work making plans for someone's "half-birthday" today so I decided to google it to see if it really is a thing: "it's a day approximately six months before or after the anniversary of a person's birth. It is sometimes marked by people whose birthday falls near major holidays." :eyeroll:

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8713 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of something called a "half-birthday?" I overheard a group at work making plans for someone's "half-birthday" today so I decided to google it to see if it really is a thing: "it's a day approximately six months before or after the anniversary of a person's birth. It is sometimes marked by people whose birthday falls near major holidays." :eyeroll:

My parents always celebrated that for us kids growing up.  It does make you feel special when your bday is farthest away.  My wife, who loves birthdays and celebrations, loved the idea when she joined the family.

We would only get one (small) present on that day, and maybe a cupcake.  Nothing big, just a small recognition of the day.

Regarding that last sentence: Imagine if your birthday is Christmas Eve, as is my brother-in-law's.  No present holidays for a year, and your bday is always overshadowed.  A half-birthday helps a lot in this case.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8714 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »

My parents always celebrated that for us kids growing up.  It does make you feel special when your bday is farthest away.  My wife, who loves birthdays and celebrations, loved the idea when she joined the family.

We would only get one (small) present on that day, and maybe a cupcake.  Nothing big, just a small recognition of the day.

Regarding that last sentence: Imagine if your birthday is Christmas Eve, as is my brother-in-law's.  No present holidays for a year, and your bday is always overshadowed.  A half-birthday helps a lot in this case.

Yeah at first thought is sounds like someone celebrating a "Happy Unbirthday Day," if you've read/seen Alice in Wonderland, but I liked it in elementary school as I have an August birthday and our school celebrated birthdays, so a half-birthday made me feel like my classmates. Don't know if it would be worth doing for everyone, but I agree that for someone that has a birthday on Christmas, it can make sense.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8715 on: June 18, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »

I don't see the problem. Unless you're talking about the attainment of certain rite-of-passage ages, I think it is no more or less silly to use a half-birthday as a reason to celebrate than an actual birthday. But if there's some actual un-Mustachian partying that's happening, do tell!

Heck, some retirees might see 59-1/2 as an age worth celebrating. . . .

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8716 on: June 18, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »

I celebrate my half birthday every year, and it always annoys the crap out of my wife (half the fun!)  My "celebration" is simply that I insist we go out somewhere that has a good cheeseburger, and that I get homemade chocolate chip cookies.  It's a bit of harmless fun, outside of the cholesterol. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8717 on: June 18, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »

This.  My oldest great-nephew's birthday is on Christmas Eve but the celebration is the week of June 24, although he does get a birthday cake on the actual day. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8718 on: June 18, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »

Yep. Dec 21 birthday here. Know the feels.

AvisJinx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8719 on: June 18, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »

This.  My oldest great-nephew's birthday is on Christmas Eve but the celebration is the week of June 24, although he does get a birthday cake on the actual day.

Kids I get, adults I don't. I don't think adutls need another "special" day. It's just another pointless waste of money. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:17:30 AM by AvisJinx »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8720 on: June 18, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
Kids I get, adults I don't. It's just another useless waste of money.

Agreed, but that's the case with pretty much any "present" holiday (half birthday, real birthday, valentine's day, etc.)--the thought/gesture is nice, the waste of money is unnecessary.

The wife likes me to say "Happy Half Birthday" just as much as she likes me to say "Happy Valentine's Day" but in neither case do we need to do more than a minor thing.

People are always going to find reasons to waste money if they want to.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8721 on: June 18, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
Kids I get, adults I don't. I don't think adutls need another "special" day. It's just another pointless waste of money.

That's what Scrooge said about Christmas.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8722 on: June 18, 2015, 11:31:46 AM »

And look how well he was doing!

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #8723 on: June 18, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqqfGXrX__8

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8724 on: June 18, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »

Swimming in gold? This is more realistic:

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8725 on: June 18, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »
It's interesting that the video and gif are mirror images of each other.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8726 on: June 18, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
I always celebrate my half birthday!

it's called Christmas.

:)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8727 on: June 18, 2015, 11:51:14 AM »

Also interesting that we both posted almost simultaneously.  I considered posting the video, but figured that most members are actually browsing from work and a gif might work better since it has no sound and didn't require opening youtube. 

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8728 on: June 18, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »

We used to do that for my niece, because her bd was so close to Xmas, her parties never happened, so  few years they celebrated in July, not 2 celebrations, just the one.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8729 on: June 18, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »
Kids I get, adults I don't. It's just another useless waste of money.

Agreed, but that's the case with pretty much any "present" holiday (half birthday, real birthday, valentine's day, etc.)--the thought/gesture is nice, the waste of money is unnecessary.

The wife likes me to say "Happy Half Birthday" just as much as she likes me to say "Happy Valentine's Day" but in neither case do we need to do more than a minor thing.

People are always going to find reasons to waste money if they want to.
My birthday falls on or near Thanksgiving.  I love the years when my family is all in the same house at the same time.  And I also love that I get to hear Happy Birthday once, then we move on to other things and the focus is not all on me, me, me.  (I'm a little uncomfortable celebrating something that was in no part a result of anything I have done).  But I do admit I also play the card that sometimes I don't help with the cleaning "because it's my birthday" or I get control of the TV remote "because it's my birthday" (that's a rule in my house).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8730 on: June 18, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »

YouTube kids think they are avoiding copyright issues by flipping the video (it might have helped dodge identification algorithms at some point).  They also like to say "I claim no ownership of this!! All rights to Sony!" Like attribution is the issue.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8731 on: June 18, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »

YouTube kids think they are avoiding copyright issues by flipping the video (it might have helped dodge identification algorithms at some point).  They also like to say "I claim no ownership of this!! All rights to Sony!" Like attribution is the issue.

Uhh... That was a Family Guy clip, mocking a Loony Tunes (?) clip. Family guy is one of the biggest shows there is in the US.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8732 on: June 18, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »
Yes, and the YouTube kids that posted it (a clip they don't own the copyright of) flipped the image.  Watch the video versus the gif posted right underneath it.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8733 on: June 18, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »
Yes, and the YouTube kids that posted it (a clip they don't own the copyright of) flipped the image.  Watch the video versus the gif posted right underneath it.

Ah, didn't realize that. I had assumed it was Family Guy that flipped it.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8734 on: June 18, 2015, 04:12:03 PM »
overheard in the ladies' room at work...
You seem especially concerned with busts today.

Is this some kind of bust?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #8735 on: June 18, 2015, 04:15:03 PM »
Are you?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:17:52 PM by grantmeaname »

AvisJinx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8736 on: June 19, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
I love this thread.

Spawnstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8737 on: June 20, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
Finally read through whole thread... Celebrating with some mockery!

Coworkers (all female) takes several trips every year to 1 (yes, one!) single shop 7 hours away round trip to buy cheap shit. Typically spends 1/2 to 1 monthly paycheck on plastic bags, cheap makeup, toys and tasteless home decoration.

The shoppers gets cheered on by the other coworkers irl and on Facebook in terms of "oh, paradise", "worth every penny" and so on.

Facepalm several times a month. Never stops.

(Had actual photo of last fb update from shopping spree, but being a rookie I don't know how to post it)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8738 on: June 20, 2015, 03:10:30 PM »

Coworkers (all female) takes several trips every year to 1 (yes, one!) single shop 7 hours away round trip to buy cheap shit. Typically spends 1/2 to 1 monthly paycheck on plastic bags, cheap makeup, toys and tasteless home decoration.

The shoppers gets cheered on by the other coworkers irl and on Facebook in terms of "oh, paradise", "worth every penny" and so on.

(Had actual photo of last fb update from shopping spree, but being a rookie I don't know how to post it)

Really need to know this store

Spawnstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8739 on: June 21, 2015, 04:53:34 AM »

Store is legendary in Sweden. Has its own tv-show. I must admit I have some guilty pleasure in watching it...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8740 on: June 21, 2015, 05:37:16 AM »

Store is legendary in Sweden. Has its own tv-show. I must admit I have some guilty pleasure in watching it...

Ikea has its own TV show?

Spawnstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8741 on: June 21, 2015, 06:00:18 AM »

Not ikea. Just this one store in the middle of nowhere.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8742 on: June 21, 2015, 07:16:41 AM »

Whoops, I thought that sounded like Ullared... but I figured you were american so it should be something else. :)

Never been.  Will never willingly go.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8743 on: June 21, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »

Plastic + tasteless home decoration + Sweden turned into Ikea in my mind :)

Spawnstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8744 on: June 21, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »

Well, trips to Ikea gets almost the same reactions from coworkers, but takes more like 45min by car. Ullared (yes, nailed it lemanfan) is more extreme. There is even the possibility to fly from northern Sweden to spend two days shopping before flying back. Literally nothing else to do in this godforsaken place (Ullared, not Sweden as a whole)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8745 on: June 21, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »
Well, trips to Ikea gets almost the same reactions from coworkers, but takes more like 45min by car. Ullared (yes, nailed it lemanfan) is more extreme. There is even the possibility to fly from northern Sweden to spend two days shopping before flying back. Literally nothing else to do in this godforsaken place (Ullared, not Sweden as a whole)

Take refuge in culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v07Cc5CZlpQ

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8746 on: June 21, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
Awesome - I am not alone in not understanding the entire Ikea thing!

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8747 on: June 21, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »

I was going to say Birsta is worse but no. I just looked up Ullared on the map. That is middle of nowhere! :)

Cookie

« Reply #8748 on: June 21, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »
I know many people who will drive 3-4 hours and pay $60 one way to go to ikea. They will drive to this city only for ikea, and go with nothing in particular in mind that they want to buy. Consumerism at its finest.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8749 on: June 21, 2015, 10:38:05 PM »

Sounds like the closest thing we have in the US is outlet stores?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!