Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253420 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5800 on: December 10, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son.

I thought it was funny.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5801 on: December 10, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »

At work, everyone is having a lovely discussion about a ferrari christmas tree ornament; quote:

Based upon my experience with Ferrari parts:

From Ferrari:            OEM: $150
Designed for Ferrari:      Non-OEM with prancing horse logo: $50
Generic equivalent:      Non-OEM with Ford Mustang horse logo instead: $5

Funny people! They're good at poking fun of their own hobbies.

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #5802 on: December 10, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »
Also, don't the newer Priuses (Prius', Pri-i, Priusi?) or some other hybrid have that 'feature' where they turn off at stoplights?

The Prius, like most (all?) hybrids, only uses the gas engine at higher speeds.  At lower speeds, it's an electric motor.  So when the car is not moving, the motor isn't running.  It's not a feature so much as how an electric motor works.

I'm going to take the opportunity to nerd out about Hybrid systems a bit as a clarification.
Some (like the Nissan Crossover systems, Murano, Pathfinder, etc) will still use the gas motor 100%. The electric motor is effectively a large starter that can also support acceleration and regenerative  braking.

The modern Prius is one of the more advanced systems and will allow full EV upwards of 30mph (many don't past 5 or 10mph) under the right circumstances. And will sometimes (again correct circumstances) shut down the gas engine when it isn't needed (long stop lights, long downhills, etc). There is an insane amount of programming that goes into these hybrids. It depends on outside temp, climate control settings, battery temp, battery charge status, and even driver habits.

Some gas-only engines (Ford Fusion, Dodge Ram V6) also have a a gas engine shut off feature for stop lights, Often called an idle stop start/ISS. These systems will shut the engine off under very specific circumstances to save gas in city driving.  A key criteria for engine shut off in all hybrid/ISS systems is AC on/off, as most of these vehicles have belt driven compressors that need the engine to be running to provide cooling. Again the Prius being a more advanced hybrid actually has an electric AC compressor that can keep cooling even if gas engine is off.

Obligatory MMM comment: bikes are better

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5803 on: December 10, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »
Eric, as mentioned, it's not a Prius thing specifically. There are a lot of hybrids that turn the engine off when you stop, and even some non-hybrids. The idea of an electric motor that continues to push the oil makes sense. It's really a great feature if 1) it actually makes a real difference in mileage and 2) it doesn't fuck your engine.
But if it fucks your engine, don't you get a bunch of small engines? That seems lucrative.

Engine farming, just like livestock. I like it jordanread.

"Mechanical husbandry!"

Anyway, all hybrids shut off the engine when stopped -- that's at least half the point of being a hybrid. The only reason why it ever woudn't happen is if the battery were depleted and the vehicle were trying to recharge it. (Or, as stevedoug mentioned, if it has belt-driven AC.)

On the flipside, recently I was driving with someone that learned how to drive on a Prius. I was teaching him how to drive a real car (manual transmission) and because he was so used to the car being silent at a stop, he wasn't always aware when he killed the engine, so he'd sometimes shift into first and try to go without the engine running.  Very bizarre.

Hilarious! The problems of the next generation foretold.

I'm "looking forward" to the generation after that, who will grow up with self-driving cars and won't have a clue what to do when the computer breaks or they need to take it off-road.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #5804 on: December 10, 2014, 10:49:25 AM »
Cop cars idle... all the time. On one hand, it annoys me, but on the other, I understand the need. Though I do laugh when I see one idling empty outside a donut shop.

I'll be glad when they're using newer engines that can start on a dime and give you power pretty much immediately. (How those work without drastically reducing the engine life is another question, but a different topic. I don't know enough so I'm pretty curious.)

But when normal people idle... bleh. A lot of towns/cities these days are putting in no-idle ordinances.

I don't really understand the need. For the most part, I haven't found cops to be all that timely, or useful by the time they actually do show up. That however, is neither here nor there.

My little brother is a commercial truck driver, and for a while was over the road. One of the things that I thought was really cool was the way the engines were setup. There is like a 'sleep' mode for sleeping in the cab. It keeps the engine off, but when the temp drops, it starts it up in some weird mode just to make sure the driver doesn't freeze. Just a really neat piece of technology that I didn't even know existed.

Also, don't the newer Priuses (Prius', Pri-i, Priusi?) or some other hybrid have that 'feature' where they turn off at stoplights?

YES! It's really eery. The first few times I drove my FIL's car I thought it died. You get used to it after a while though. It also uses a generator to help you slow down if you shift to the "B" mode. Helps recharge the battery and use less gas!

Actually, you don't need to shift it into 'B' mode- actually I believe that doing so STOPS the car from regenerative braking when coasting- it's intended for use on really long downhills where if the regen was running it would potentially overcharge* the traction (hybrid) battery pack and will just spin the gas engine without giving it any fuel. In 'D', the car will use the electric motors for ALL braking over about 10mph and will use the energy to charge up the traction battery. It's GREAT on the friction (traditional) brakes because they hardly ever get used- they only engage under 10mph or if you 'panic brake' and stomp on the brakes.

(*OK, so the software won't really LET you 'overcharge' the battery, but if it's at full SOC- about 80% full- the car has to do some bizarre stuff to keep from charging it more)

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #5805 on: December 10, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
Wow, that's one expensive restaurant. I'm guilty of occasionally spending very unmustachian amounts of money for eating out, but it's all peanuts compared to this place.

Can these places be worth the expense? I haven't been to a Michelin rated restaurant yet, but don't relish spending $100 for a tasting menu that while delicious, leaves me wanting another meal as soon as I get home.

There's a fancy place near me that is really bad about portions. We went there once and got a burger at the nextdoor bar afterwards. The burger, in all honesty, was as delicious. Maybe I'm not civilized.

The best food I ever had was in Montreal. Thing about French food is that it takes 2-3 hours for a meal and costs a lot per person. I believe that with wine the final price was about $200 ($150 US at the time). Melt-in-your-mouth amazingness. It was 3 people for that price. At the end, I was just full. Still, I prefer having comfort food. It was worth the experience and was by far the best "fancy" meal I ever had.

Here's the link to the restaurant's offering closest to what I had then (in French 'cause Montreal): http://www.restaurantbonaparte.com/nos-menus/menus-soir/menus-soir-2/menu-degustation/

Just for future reference, if you are in Montreal again. Chinatown has some great restaurants, one being the Noodle Factory, where we had lunch for less than $20 for the 2 of us. They also have some wonderful bakeries that are cheap, we would often pick up snacks or lunch from one called Harmonie. And also the grocery shops in that area would have cheap fruit and veggies to snack on.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #5806 on: December 10, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »

...just because they're a cop doesn't mean they're also a bad person person (or vice versa).

being a cop doesn't mean you are a bad person XD

realy ? so, does it mean I don't have to run away or hide from cops (as an honnest person)?

XD

Even though I think you're being facetious... Good people in a bad system still equals bad at the end. But you probably shouldn't ever run away from the cops, but you should NEVER EVER EVER speak to them without a lawyer. Really, it will never help you. They are always building a case against you even if they don't know it.

Um, if they're always building a case against you, then you would never report a crime committed against yourself, never call them from the scene of an accident/injury etc.  This is unfortunately the situation that illegals and some minorities find themselves in-- but should be the exception, not the rule. 

We called the cops a few months ago when the neighbor's yappy little nasty dog charged out of her yard and bit my husband on the leg as he walked by the house in the street (zero provocation).  My husband didn't want anyone arrested, but he was too upset to talk to her and needed an intermediary to sort out the situation.  The cop came, talked to us, walked down the street, talked to the lady, and reported back to us that the dog had its shots and would never be off leash again (which were the two things my husband really wanted).  The cop gave us his card and told us that if we ever saw the dog off leash to call him.  And that dog has been on a leash ever since.  End of story. 

And I should point out that my husband looks a lot like a dirtbag hippie (his grooming and fashion preference), but was treated with respect throughout the encounter.   

Cops do a lot of this.  I work with them in my job from time to time, and they are mainly interested in everybody getting along without hurting themselves, each other, or property. 

Some of them are total creepy crawly gunhead nasties (and I did meet one, once-- who was let go before he had time to do damage), but based on my long acquaintance with dozens of others through my work, that is an unfortunate exception.  I realize, again, that there are certain communities, areas and segments of our culture where things have gotten altogether sideways, but I still believe that as individuals, cops most want to do the right thing. 

Looking back at what I've written, I have contributed to generalizations as well as providing only anecdotal evidence, but I just think there's a more nuanced relationship than "never talk to a cop without a lawyer." 

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #5807 on: December 10, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Friend: Every year I ask for a magazine subscription for Christmas. Last year, no-one bought it for me! I was livid! I missed a month. Like, if you're not going to buy it for me JUST TELL ME, then I know to pick up a copy that month!

Me: Oh, what magazine?

Friend: Stuff.

Me: Stuff...?

Friend: Stuff. That's the name of the magazine.

-------

I SWEAR TO GOD, there is a magazine called, and dedicated to, the accumulation of stuff. http://www.stuff-magazine.co.uk/ I've seen it all.

Presumably he's made because he missed out on being told what 'must have' item he had to waste his hard earned money on that month? (The rest of our conversation was about how much this couple hated their jobs, how hard their lives were, how annoying their ironing lady was, how they disliked their childminder, how they just can't live on their paltry (massive) salaries etc). They mentioned how relaxed and easy our lives seemed. Yep.

In my head, I'm imagining a play on words joke that he asked all of his friends to get him "a subscription to Stuff" and was angry that all he got from his friends were wine of the month club, fruit of the month club, cheese of the month club, etc.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #5808 on: December 10, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
We are paid bi-weekly, so this Thursday and 2 weeks from now, which is Dec 25. Generally Dec 24 afternoon, Dec 25 and Dec 26 are considered "holidays" and banks are closed.

CW: so when do you think they will pay us our Dec 25 pay?
me: Likely the 23, maybe the 24 since they can get it in on time (pays are direct deposited), but last year it was the day before xmas eve
CW: Really? They'd make us wait that close to Christmas
me: well, easier to not spend it
CW: But I need it to pay for Christmas, how can I shop if I don't get it until the 23 or 24?

and this is because her credit cards are already maxed out, so no way to use them for Christmas.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #5809 on: December 10, 2014, 12:32:18 PM »
71 year old in the office next to mine..."You just can't live in this country without debt, its unAmerican".  He drives a $40K truck with 4K miles on it and indicated that he trades his in every 2 years.  This is a retired 1SG with disability, working a federal job, and still, he believes debt is inevitable.

I will be retiring before he does and I'm 39.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5810 on: December 10, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Every rental car I have had in Europe over the last two years (or longer) stopped the engine at stop lights, all were manuals.  I think it was if you came to a stop then shifted into neutral then took your foot off the clutch it stopped, started back up when the clutch was pressed (all this is with the brake pressed).  Even after two weeks I was not accustomed to this.  Never once did it not start up before I had it in gear and wanted to accelerate.  I think the AC stayed running with the motor off - but not sure - maybe just the fan was on.

Remember one time at a light with the windows down I could hear the six cars around me starting back up at the same instant when the light changed, sort of cool.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5811 on: December 10, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
Heard on the metra train, said by likely tourist with her local friend:

I can find Michigan ave and the train station. shopping and the way home. I'm set!

The woman is wearing very nice clothing, expensive coat, looks like a hair dresser wash-and-set hai

At least she's taking the train.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5812 on: December 10, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »

...just because they're a cop doesn't mean they're also a bad person person (or vice versa).

Y'all on this forum need to learn how to quote. I didn't say that, someone else did. I have no idea why quoting is so damn hard for some of you. Your response goes OUTSIDE the quote. Old people can't internet? I dunno. Get off my lawn^H^H^H^Hinternet!

And you know what else I hate? When people quote something into a new post, and don't add anything new. The entire post is just a quote. I can't even find a misplaced quote. I've seen this several times and I can't figure out why the quote.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5813 on: December 10, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »

And you know what else I hate? When people quote something into a new post, and don't add anything new. The entire post is just a quote. I can't even find a misplaced quote. I've seen this several times and I can't figure out why the quote.
This
?

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #5814 on: December 10, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »
I think the train is safer than a cab or driving in Chicago! :P

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5815 on: December 10, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »

Happy to see it bugs someone else too. I thought maybe it was equivalent to saying "+1" in agreement, but I dunno if that is the case or they are just drunk and forget to type something.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5816 on: December 11, 2014, 02:25:06 AM »

Happy to see it bugs someone else too. I thought maybe it was equivalent to saying "+1" in agreement, but I dunno if that is the case or they are just drunk and forget to type something.

I see it happen too, but this is because sometimes I turn images off in my browser to avoid excessive MB downloading. If someone has quoted and then posted a picture/meme/cat in response then I won't see it, and I'll only see the quote.

Makes it hard to follow sometimes.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5817 on: December 11, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
Um, if they're always building a case against you, then you would never report a crime committed against yourself, never call them from the scene of an accident/injury etc.  This is unfortunately the situation that illegals and some minorities find themselves in-- but should be the exception, not the rule. 

We called the cops a few months ago when the neighbor's yappy little nasty dog charged out of her yard and bit my husband on the leg as he walked by the house in the street (zero provocation).  My husband didn't want anyone arrested, but he was too upset to talk to her and needed an intermediary to sort out the situation.  The cop came, talked to us, walked down the street, talked to the lady, and reported back to us that the dog had its shots and would never be off leash again (which were the two things my husband really wanted).  The cop gave us his card and told us that if we ever saw the dog off leash to call him.  And that dog has been on a leash ever since.  End of story. 

And I should point out that my husband looks a lot like a dirtbag hippie (his grooming and fashion preference), but was treated with respect throughout the encounter.   

Cops do a lot of this.  I work with them in my job from time to time, and they are mainly interested in everybody getting along without hurting themselves, each other, or property. 

Some of them are total creepy crawly gunhead nasties (and I did meet one, once-- who was let go before he had time to do damage), but based on my long acquaintance with dozens of others through my work, that is an unfortunate exception.  I realize, again, that there are certain communities, areas and segments of our culture where things have gotten altogether sideways, but I still believe that as individuals, cops most want to do the right thing. 

Looking back at what I've written, I have contributed to generalizations as well as providing only anecdotal evidence, but I just think there's a more nuanced relationship than "never talk to a cop without a lawyer." 

You're right that it's definitely not black and white. Maybe I should have said "Never talk to a cop who comes looking for you without a lawyer." I just know that false confessions happen wayyyyyy too often and from a risk perspective, the hassle outweighs the benefits for me.

And most likely, if you're dealing with cop friends, they're the type of people that you hang out with anyway, so any anecdotal evidence will align with your friend types.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:23:01 AM by eyePod »

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5818 on: December 11, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
Why do cops need to idle?

As I understand it, a lot of emergency services vehicles will keep their engines running so that there isn't a delay if they need to take off somewhere on a moment's notice.  With all the radios and computers they have on board nowadays it might also be to keep the battery from draining.

I don't understand why there would be a delay.  They are inside another building for christ's sake.  How long does it take to actually start the engine and drive? Like a second? I can understand if it was sub-freezing out, and the engine had not been run at all that day, you wouldn't want to run out to that and start it and slam it in gear.  But once it is warmed up enough to function I don't really understand it.

I've had this discussion on other forums and many people insisted that all police cars and ambulances were required to stay running for the reasons you and timmy suggested.  But then other people that are ambulance drivers (no cops though) chimed in and said that was nonsense, there is no advantage to keeping the engine idling constantly, and that they are actually required NOT to run the engine because it is wasteful and serves no purpose.  If you perform regular maintenance on the vehicle there is no reason it should randomly not start when it is supposed to. 

Is there any truth that starting and stopping an engine causes premature wear?  I was under the impression that engines are designed to be started and stopped tens of thousands of times.  I mean I don't take the same precautions as police because I never have to get somewhere that it's potentially a life and death situation, but i've also only had a vehicle not start on me a few times in my life, and every single time it was either due to poor maintenance, or just a really old and worn vehicle, and constant idling would have not helped in either situation, only delayed the inevitable until the next time I had to start it.

The local ambulance crew gave us CPR training at work the other day, and the ambulance was idling the. Whole two hours. I asked about it and they said it was because of the medications and IV fluids they carried. At 5F it wouldn't take long sitting in a cold ambulance for them to at least become too cold to use if not freeze outright.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5819 on: December 11, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »

I usually just scroll past most quoted posts now because there seems to be such a level of dumbness when quoting on this site. But agreed, I've tried to read a couple and fail to find a post in the quote. lol

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5820 on: December 11, 2014, 10:33:29 AM »

Don't know about anyone else, but I've posted some of these while on mobile.  Something along the lines of hitting quote reply, typing a reply, get distracted, switch windows, come back and somehow my browser reloads the page (Ie the quote reply) without my actual text.  Then I hit submit. 

So browser quirks or maybe people are just accidentally hitting submit without meaning to reply

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5821 on: December 11, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »

Don't know about anyone else, but I've posted some of these while on mobile.  Something along the lines of hitting quote reply, typing a reply, get distracted, switch windows, come back and somehow my browser reloads the page (Ie the quote reply) without my actual text.  Then I hit submit. 

So browser quirks or maybe people are just accidentally hitting submit without meaning to reply

Just gonna ignore you; it's more fun to rabble than to be reasonable.

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5822 on: December 11, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
You're right that it's definitely not black and white. Maybe I should have said "Never talk to a cop who comes looking for you without a lawyer." I just know that false confessions happen wayyyyyy too often and from a risk perspective, the hassle outweighs the benefits for me.

Indeed. For anyone who thinks talking to cops is a good idea (even if you have nothing to hide) this is worth a watch. An law school professor and former criminal defense attorney tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

EDIT: I'll try to steer this back on topic. I work in Korea at a public school and it is insane how many teachers have designer handbags that cost thousands each. I've found that in Korea there is a strong culture of outwardly showing your "status" in society. Everyone (not everyone, but a lot of people) continually try to one up each other. The second hand market is almost non-existent in Korea.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:42:17 PM by philby85 »

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5823 on: December 11, 2014, 08:03:20 PM »
EDIT: I'll try to steer this back on topic. I work in Korea at a public school and it is insane how many teachers have designer handbags that cost thousands each. I've found that in Korea there is a strong culture of outwardly showing your "status" in society. Everyone (not everyone, but a lot of people) continually try to one up each other. The second hand market is almost non-existent in Korea.
I assume you are referring to South Korea because my understanding is this culture does not exist in the North...

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5824 on: December 11, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »
I assume you are referring to South Korea because my understanding is this culture does not exist in the North...

lol. yeah. South Korea. I often forget there is a North Korea.

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #5825 on: December 11, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
For everyone asking about the cop cars idling constantly, it is mostly to keep the battery charged because of all the electronics. Laptop, various radios, radars, etc. The vehicle battery would quickly go dead if they turned it off with all that gear running. Why not turn it all off? Because the cop's radio transmits to the vehicle's radio, which (with its stronger radio output) passes it on the rest of the radio network.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5826 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
Every rental car I have had in Europe over the last two years (or longer) stopped the engine at stop lights, all were manuals.  I think it was if you came to a stop then shifted into neutral then took your foot off the clutch it stopped, started back up when the clutch was pressed (all this is with the brake pressed).  Even after two weeks I was not accustomed to this.  Never once did it not start up before I had it in gear and wanted to accelerate.  I think the AC stayed running with the motor off - but not sure - maybe just the fan was on.

Yeah, that's creepy.  Especially when you rent a car that's nearly the same as your car at home.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5827 on: December 12, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »
For everyone asking about the cop cars idling constantly, it is mostly to keep the battery charged because of all the electronics. Laptop, various radios, radars, etc. The vehicle battery would quickly go dead if they turned it off with all that gear running. Why not turn it all off? Because the cop's radio transmits to the vehicle's radio, which (with its stronger radio output) passes it on the rest of the radio network.

Great point, but why not just design the car with a second battery to run all that stuff?

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5828 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »

Great point, but why not just design the car with a second battery to run all that stuff?

Probably the same reason they have to put 2 cops in the car, to get a total I.Q. of 100

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5829 on: December 12, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »
If we're going denigrate a whole group of people on no evidence at all, I have a few 'jokes' about Frenchmen . . .

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5830 on: December 12, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
Two CWs, both want puppies. I'm all for rescue. We're in Chicago, Illinois.

CW1: I've been thinking of getting a puppy for a while now. I found a breeder in Arizona, the puppies are {insert very expensive breed, I have no memory} are $1250 each. But they have this adorable brother and sister pair, and if I get two then I get a discount on the 2nd.
Me: They're in Arizona, right? How do they get here safely?
CW1: Oh they'll send them on a plane. Both and travel costs are only $5k.
Me: Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to go to the shelters and find a puppy you like?
CW1: But shelter dogs have so many problems, I really want a pure bred.
CW2: I'm also getting a puppy. I found a breeder in Iowa, they have {insert very expensive breed}, and there's one that's so cute. Only $1000, and that includes transportation.
Me: [unable to process the waste and shame, there's a high probability that these are puppy mills]. ....

Another one, visiting from Texas office (when there's staff with nothing at all to do in the Chicago office), leaving today after a week here:
CW1: My flight doesn't leave until 9pm.
Me: Can you change it?
CW1: I don't know. It's ok.
CW2: How are you getting to the airport?
CW1: I don't want to take the Blue Line [inexpensive transit which goes directly to the airport], I'm going to take a cab.
CW2: I understand, a cab is safer.
Me: ......

Oh dear lord, I was under the impression that my coworker's were semi-decent with money.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5831 on: December 12, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »

CW1: I've been thinking of getting a puppy for a while now. I found a breeder in Arizona, the puppies are {insert very expensive breed, I have no memory} are $1250 each. But they have this adorable brother and sister pair, and if I get two then I get a discount on the 2nd.
Me: Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to go to the shelters and find a puppy you like?
CW2: I'm also getting a puppy. I found a breeder in Iowa, they have {insert very expensive breed}, and there's one that's so cute. Only $1000, and that includes transportation.
Me: [unable to process the waste and shame, there's a high probability that these are puppy mills]. ....

Another one, visiting from Texas office (when there's staff with nothing at all to do in the Chicago office), leaving today after a week here:
CW1: My flight doesn't leave until 9pm.
Me: Can you change it?
CW1: I don't know. It's ok.
CW2: How are you getting to the airport?
CW1: I don't want to take the Blue Line [inexpensive transit which goes directly to the airport], I'm going to take a cab.
CW2: I understand, a cab is safer.
Me: ......

Oh dear lord, I was under the impression that my coworker's were semi-decent with money.

Wow, The dogs I think are the cutest and want are $1800, but I would never actually pay that for one, I would wait until I found a rescue, the shelters are full, FULL of pure breds. Ahhh, I love this thread for peoples pure stupidity, it's fun to read.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5832 on: December 12, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »
If we're going denigrate a whole group of people on no evidence at all, I have a few 'jokes' about Frenchmen . . .

Go ahead!

If I don't worth a laugh, I don't worth much

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5833 on: December 12, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »

Great thoughts right here. Purebreds never have any health problems...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5834 on: December 12, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »

Nothing like inbreeding to straighten out the good ol' mental state!

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5835 on: December 12, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »

Right. We have rescued every animal we have ever owned, and they have turned out to be the best pets I've ever seen.  Smart, good tempered, kind, etc.  Also, from everything I've seen... breeder dogs have had way more problems than mutts we have found.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5836 on: December 12, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »
New to this thread.  It's 144 pages long!

cw: I keep track of expenses and know exactly how much I spend
me: Me too!
cw: It costs us $9500 a month to live.
me: We .... umm ... are ... less than 1/3 of that (I'm ashamed - it should be much lower).
cw: Yes, but we have a higher standard of living than you do.

We have roughly the same salary.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5837 on: December 12, 2014, 10:51:39 AM »

me: We .... umm ... are ... less than 1/3 of that (I'm ashamed - it should be much lower).

Suppose it is true but . . .

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5838 on: December 12, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »

And you have an earlier retirement date. At least your CW knows what they're spending. That's the first step.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5839 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »

Right. We have rescued every animal we have ever owned, and they have turned out to be the best pets I've ever seen.  Smart, good tempered, kind, etc.  Also, from everything I've seen... breeder dogs have had way more problems than mutts we have found.
I've seen a lot of purebred animals in shelters, why would anyone believe that rescues are always mixed?

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5840 on: December 12, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »

I've seen a lot of purebred animals in shelters, why would anyone believe that rescues are always mixed?

Plus all the breed-specific rescue groups out there, who not only take in older dogs but frequently have puppies as well.  Oy. 
I'm a little ashamed to admit that I have a purebred dog, that I thought I was getting from a responsible breeder.  Years later I read an article about warning signs for "breeders" who are really front people for puppy mills, and I realized that the person I bought my puppy from fit all of those signs.  Never again, although I did end up with the kindest and most loving creature in the world.  Next time, I'm either going to the shelter or going to a rescue society, though.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5841 on: December 12, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »

Because generally they are, also there are some people for whom when they state "purebred," they are referring to the dog also have a pedigree and papers. I don't know enough, but maybe that is what people are thinking about? In general when I was looking to adopt a dog, I was looking for mixed breeds as I assumed that nearly any purebred would be from a mill and that while a mixed breed dog likely is, I figured that the dog would have less of a risk of hereditary disease. Not sure if I was right in my assumptions, but that was my reasoning.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5842 on: December 12, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
And you have an earlier retirement date. At least your CW knows what they're spending. That's the first step.

This is true, and it's a good point.  There are many folks who don't understand what their lifestyle is costing them.  What shocked me, is that in the face of all this knowledge on spending, he doesn't see an issue.  This particular person also has ~$500K in HELOC and mortgage debt.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5843 on: December 12, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
Here's a fun text conversation with a co-worker this morning, we have 2 companies we get paid commissions from, one is bi weekly and the other is bi monthly.  Can get a little confusing on the dollar amounts, but as for the dates, very easy.

CW: Do we get paid from SP today? Or just Q?
Me: Just Q, SP is Monday
CW:Isn't there payday the 15th?
Me: Correct
CW: My bank account balance is negative (she just got paid commissions today from Q and is still negative)
Me: We'll be getting paid for the deal on 68, they sent the statement over yesterday
CW: I wonder when it is direct deposited (REALLY?!?!?!)
Me: (being slightly a smart ass at this point) we get paid from them bi monthly
CW: Hmmm I will email Jackie (human resources)

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  She got paid TODAY from one company, is still negative.  HAS NO CLUE when the other company is paying her (even though I TOLD her in the text).  Also, this co worker has worked for the company WAY longer than me, and she can't even figure out when payday is, it's been the same since she started over a year ago!!!  OMG... I mean, I know it can be hard to remember the 1st and the 15th (sarcasm intended), especially if the 15th falls on a non business day, in which case we get paid the business day that comes before, but the 15th is a business day this month!!! AND she has a negative account balance, after probably getting a paycheck of $2500 today!!!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5844 on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »

As long as your coworker isn't complaining about his or her expenses or retirement plans they're welcome to their lifestyle. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5845 on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
Here's a fun text conversation with a co-worker this morning, we have 2 companies we get paid commissions from, one is bi weekly and the other is bi monthly.  Can get a little confusing on the dollar amounts, but as for the dates, very easy.

CW: My bank account balance is negative (she just got paid commissions today from Q and is still negative)
Me: We'll be getting paid for the deal on 68, they sent the statement over yesterday

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  She got paid TODAY from one company, is still negative.  HAS NO CLUE when the other company is paying her (even though I TOLD her in the text).  Also, this co worker has worked for the company WAY longer than me, and she can't even figure out when payday is, it's been the same since she started over a year ago!!!  OMG... I mean, I know it can be hard to remember the 1st and the 15th (sarcasm intended), especially if the 15th falls on a non business day, in which case we get paid the business day that comes before, but the 15th is a business day this month!!! AND she has a negative account balance, after probably getting a paycheck of $2500 today!!!

I'm also confused.

What does "We'll be getting paid for the deal on 68" mean?

Also how do did she get paid today if you get paid on the 1st and 15th?  Today is the 12th, and the 15th is a monday.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5846 on: December 12, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

I'm also confused.

Also how do did she get paid today if you get paid on the 1st and 15th?  Today is the 12th, and the 15th is a monday.

I bolded the date thing for you... I am not sure what the deal on 68 is... I assume a job?

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5847 on: December 12, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »

Because generally they are, also there are some people for whom when they state "purebred," they are referring to the dog also have a pedigree and papers. I don't know enough, but maybe that is what people are thinking about? In general when I was looking to adopt a dog, I was looking for mixed breeds as I assumed that nearly any purebred would be from a mill and that while a mixed breed dog likely is, I figured that the dog would have less of a risk of hereditary disease. Not sure if I was right in my assumptions, but that was my reasoning.

Purebred means the "parents" share a lot of their genetics. True for dogs, cats or any other species. Even crops can be considered "pure". If there is a weakness in the line, you increase the chance to encounter this weakness. If something occurs on a very low % basis in the whole population, then you can crank this to a dangerously high % in a blink*. If I was about to get a dog, I would look for a mixed one for sure. There is plenty of good quality mixed dogs available, for decent price, if someone make his diligent research.

*If one is interested, look for the Habsburg noble family.

Unfortunatly, a mixed dog do not match the high life standard Anti-MMM attempt!

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5848 on: December 12, 2014, 12:42:22 PM »

I'm also confused.

I bolded the date thing for you... I am not sure what the deal on 68 is... I assume a job?

Yes, that's correct.  We get paid 4X per month - every other Friday from one company, and bi monthly from the other company.  So we got paid today and we'll get paid again Monday.

Sorry, in my attempt at being discreet I used the job number (68) instead of using names.  So 68 is a job we'll be getting paid for on Monday. :)

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5849 on: December 12, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »

I'm also confused.

Yes, that's correct.  We get paid 4X per month - every other Friday from one company, and bi monthly from the other company.  So we got paid today and we'll get paid again Monday.

Sorry, in my attempt at being discreet I used the job number (68) instead of using names.  So 68 is a job we'll be getting paid for on Monday. :)

If that's confusing (which it is) then my main point is this:

Despite the fact that we got paid today, she still has a negative account balance.  And despite the fact that all of our paydays are the same and have been for years, she seems to have no clue when her next check will be direct deposited into her account, so that she has more money.  Sigh...