Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252832 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #18950 on: October 27, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »
Also he says they HAVE to buy their daughter something small when they do or else!

Yes!

My friends' kids expect something every time they go shopping, even if it's just for groceries.

And the expectation that the kids need to be entertained every day of weekends and school holidays is such that when they didn't leave the house one day and just stayed home, she "had to" make it up to them the next day by buying them a new movie on Bluray. ಠ_ಠ

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18951 on: October 27, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »
Love this thread.

I have a coworker who stayed up to 3 A.M. to pre-order the iPhone X. I believe he's either gotten every generation or every other that comes out. Some people like their tech, but this guy has said he has over $100,000 student from switching majors as well as going back to get his masters in Healthcare Informatics. It helped him get this pretty well paying job for the area.

The thing that drives me NUTS is I'll ask him what his family (wife & daughter) did over the weekend and almost every time they went shopping. Also he says they HAVE to buy their daughter something small when they do or else!

Spoiled child! My coworker has one of those. He told me the other day that his wife has bought SIX Halloween costumes for their daughter (3 years old I think?) because the daughter likes to try them on and look in the mirror. I foresee this child becoming terrible as she gets older.

I just bought 5 halloween costumes... from goodwill.  1 for halloween and 4 to go in a 'dress up' box for Christmas

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18952 on: October 27, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
I just bought 5 halloween costumes... from goodwill.  1 for halloween and 4 to go in a 'dress up' box for Christmas

Our kids love playing dress-up. The box gets restocked at 90% off the week after Halloween every year.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18953 on: October 28, 2017, 05:40:42 AM »
Love this thread.

I have a coworker who stayed up to 3 A.M. to pre-order the iPhone X. I believe he's either gotten every generation or every other that comes out. Some people like their tech, but this guy has said he has over $100,000 student from switching majors as well as going back to get his masters in Healthcare Informatics. It helped him get this pretty well paying job for the area.

The thing that drives me NUTS is I'll ask him what his family (wife & daughter) did over the weekend and almost every time they went shopping. Also he says they HAVE to buy their daughter something small when they do or else!
It's shopping as a hobby.  It's not even about owning the thing any more, it's about the process of looking and buying.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18954 on: October 29, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
Also he says they HAVE to buy their daughter something small when they do or else!

Yes!

My friends' kids expect something every time they go shopping, even if it's just for groceries.

And the expectation that the kids need to be entertained every day of weekends and school holidays is such that when they didn't leave the house one day and just stayed home, she "had to" make it up to them the next day by buying them a new movie on Bluray. ಠ_ಠ

The grocery store we go to most frequently has a basket of free fruit for kids. Which is a nice idea in theory, but my son now expects a piece of fruit every time we grocery shop. Ugh.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18955 on: October 29, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »

Yes!

The grocery store we go to most frequently has a basket of free fruit for kids. Which is a nice idea in theory, but my son now expects a piece of fruit every time we grocery shop. Ugh.

Once during a summer vacation my friend and I went to the local town for shopping. She mentioned there that she had to buy something for her son. I reminded her of the fact that his aunt had just given him a present the day before. But that was obviously not an argument, neither the fact that there was no reason to celibrate anything.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #18956 on: October 31, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
My mother's family have been farm owners for the last century and a half. That's how I know how stubborn they are. They do very well financially most years, however they focus mostly on niche markets with a high margin, and they're committed to mixed farming. When something is no longer profitable, they drop it.

The changes in the egg industry actually caused my grandmother to quit the egg business because she couldn't be decent to the birds and also turn a profit. Industry-wise it's been a gigantic race to the bottom.

Sometimes I think our whole friggin' economy is a race to the bottom b/c of our American fascination with the absolutely lowest prices while ignoring all else. Our country is not playing the long game - if it ever was - and we ought to be making choices with the long game in mind.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18957 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
My mother's family have been farm owners for the last century and a half. That's how I know how stubborn they are. They do very well financially most years, however they focus mostly on niche markets with a high margin, and they're committed to mixed farming. When something is no longer profitable, they drop it.

The changes in the egg industry actually caused my grandmother to quit the egg business because she couldn't be decent to the birds and also turn a profit. Industry-wise it's been a gigantic race to the bottom.

Sometimes I think our whole friggin' economy is a race to the bottom b/c of our American fascination with the absolutely lowest prices while ignoring all else. Our country is not playing the long game - if it ever was - and we ought to be making choices with the long game in mind.

I wonder if it's to do with the myth of superabundance that the first European settlers had - that the New World was so huge and fertile and full of natural resources that there's no way they could ever use it all up.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18958 on: October 31, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »

I wonder if it's to do with the myth of superabundance that the first European settlers had - that the New World was so huge and fertile and full of natural resources that there's no way they could ever use it all up.

I think it's largely about the fact that money is the thing we keep score by at this point in history -- not decency, honesty, achievement, innovation, compassion, self-actualization. Nope. All our culture keeps score by is money. Which means that every other value gets thrown under the bus automatically.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18959 on: October 31, 2017, 12:20:54 PM »
This is the same guy from a few pages back who won't bother with the effort to save the $500 on his insurance premiums.

Background: At work we get quarterly bonuses. These are based on location performance as a whole on certain goals. We score 0-5 and then you get that percent of your salary for the quarter as your bonus. There's also a flat amount for being safe each quarter. We have two safety focus meetings each month. To be eligible for this bonus, you have to attend two meetings during the quarter and also fill out two safety cards a month, which takes about 60 seconds.

I mentioned that I needed to do my safety cards today, since it's the last day of the first month of the new quarter. Coworker: I haven't done mine. I don't need that money, why should I care about that?

We haven't had a great year so we've only gotten 1% or 2% bonuses, but I'm still going to get $1600 for the year, maybe a couple hundred more once I find out how we scored for the third quarter. I just don't get it. You even get paid an hour of overtime to go to the meetings.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18960 on: October 31, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »
a286 you should have said "Great, then can you give me $1600?" since he doesn't need it. :P

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18961 on: November 01, 2017, 12:53:22 AM »
a286 you should have said "Great, then can you give me $1600?" since he doesn't need it. :P
No, he should have asked if he can get the whole pay of that coworker who doesn't need the money.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18962 on: November 01, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
No, he should have asked if he can get the whole pay of that coworker who doesn't need the money.
and have him go ahead and throw  in the $500 for the health insurance premiums too, because why not?

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18963 on: November 01, 2017, 08:11:58 AM »
This is the same guy from a few pages back who won't bother with the effort to save the $500 on his insurance premiums.

Background: At work we get quarterly bonuses. These are based on location performance as a whole on certain goals. We score 0-5 and then you get that percent of your salary for the quarter as your bonus. There's also a flat amount for being safe each quarter. We have two safety focus meetings each month. To be eligible for this bonus, you have to attend two meetings during the quarter and also fill out two safety cards a month, which takes about 60 seconds.

I mentioned that I needed to do my safety cards today, since it's the last day of the first month of the new quarter. Coworker: I haven't done mine. I don't need that money, why should I care about that?

We haven't had a great year so we've only gotten 1% or 2% bonuses, but I'm still going to get $1600 for the year, maybe a couple hundred more once I find out how we scored for the third quarter. I just don't get it. You even get paid an hour of overtime to go to the meetings.

This seems like the type of person that wouldn't take full advantage of company 401k matching, or other completely free money opportunities that sometimes come up in the working world.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18964 on: November 01, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
My favorite work story, from a few years ago...

CW bought a new house in the suburbs and commuted via the toll road (most of us did; our employer was located on the toll highway and Houston traffic is evil).

Six months later, she announced she was changing her start time to 30 minutes later, because she refused to take the toll road anymore, and it took 60 minutes to travel the 15 miles on the free roads.

You see, a lawyer had contacted her.  She owed >$10k to the toll authority.

The credit card on file with the toll authority had expired.
.but she didn't see the MULTITUDE of notices they mailed
..because the address on file with the toll authority was her sister's house (where she had stayed temporarily years before)
...And she never picked up her mail from her sister's house (despite her sister's nagging)
....Because if it was really important, someone would call her (so sister threw it all away unopened at the end of the month)
.....AND she never checked her credit card statement, so she didn't notice that she wasn't being charged for tolls every month. 

There was a $25 fine for every time she went through a toll booth without a way to pay for it...and she went through 4 toll booths a day, 4-5 days a week, for months.

I had never seen her that angry.  At the TOLL AUTHORITY.  Because, obviously, they should have tried harder to let her know that her credit card had expired/she was racking up fines. Or, at the very least, they should have waived the fines when she said she was sorry and fixed the problem.

We talked her out of calling one of the local television station.  She thought they've be as outraged as she was and help her get a deal.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #18965 on: November 01, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »

CW bought a new house in the suburbs and commuted via the toll road (most of us did; our employer was located on the toll highway and Houston traffic is evil).

Six months later, she announced she was changing her start time to 30 minutes later, because she refused to take the toll road anymore, and it took 60 minutes to travel the 15 miles on the free roads.

..because the address on file with the toll authority was her sister's house (where she had stayed temporarily years before)
...And she never picked up her mail from her sister's house (despite her sister's nagging)
....Because if it was really important, someone would call her (so sister threw it all away unopened at the end of the month)
.....AND she never checked her credit card statement, so she didn't notice that she wasn't being charged for tolls every month. 

There was a $25 fine for every time she went through a toll booth without a way to pay for it...and she went through 4 toll booths a day, 4-5 days a week, for months.

I had never seen her that angry.  At the TOLL AUTHORITY. Because, obviously, they should have tried harder to let her know that her credit card had expired/she was racking up fines. Or, at the very least, they should have waived the fines when she said she was sorry and fixed the problem.

We talked her out of calling one of the local television station.  She thought they've be as outraged as she was and help her get a deal.

This is rich. I suppose there's nothing quite like screwing someone else over for months on end, ignoring every possible opportunity to make it right, pooh-poohing everybody who tries to alert you to a problem, and then blaming the person, company, or organization you screwed over for doing what it takes to stop being screwed over. It's like being angry at a bank or credit union because there were consequences to setting up overdraft protection and deliberately taking cash withdrawals from an account you knew to be empty, repeatedly overdrawing it.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18966 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »

Why are they working if they don't need the money?? *head explodes*

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18967 on: November 01, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
My 60 yr old coworker claims she has to work forever because she "didn't know our job offered a 401k" and couldn't save up money therefore. She says it wasn't available 10+ yrs ago when she started. This is a very large company and I can guarantee there was a plan back then. Its on the website, its in the next years benefits guide that gets distributed all over, and all the retirement seminars center about how to manage your pension and your 401k etc. From the way this claim was made, I am assuming she still wasn't enrolled when she was saying it.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #18968 on: November 01, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
My 60 yr old coworker claims she has to work forever because she "didn't know our job offered a 401k" and couldn't save up money therefore. She says it wasn't available 10+ yrs ago when she started. This is a very large company and I can guarantee there was a plan back then. Its on the website, its in the next years benefits guide that gets distributed all over, and all the retirement seminars center about how to manage your pension and your 401k etc. From the way this claim was made, I am assuming she still wasn't enrolled when she was saying it.

See this drives me nuts for two reasons
1. The intentional ignorance
2. The fact that you are allowed to save money NOT in a 401k. Like in a Roth. Or -gasp- a bank account.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18969 on: November 01, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »

2. The fact that you are allowed to save money NOT in a 401k. Like in a Roth. Or -gasp- a bank account.
I'd say those 2 items are really the same thing.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18970 on: November 01, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »

I think he needs the paycheck, he just can't be bothered to make an extra $2k! He also works more than me and works the night shift, so gets an extra $0.30 an hour for that. So that would makes his over $2k.

Oh, and if you go to at least 14 of the meetings in person, and do a make up sheet for the ones you miss, you get two extra days off. Guess what, he can't be bothered to do that either. I'm already going to at least 8 a year, so you can bet I'm attending a few extra for more time off.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18971 on: November 01, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »

I think he needs the paycheck, he just can't be bothered to make an extra $2k! He also works more than me and works the night shift, so gets an extra $0.30 an hour for that. So that would makes his over $2k.

Oh, and if you go to at least 14 of the meetings in person, and do a make up sheet for the ones you miss, you get two extra days off. Guess what, he can't be bothered to do that either. I'm already going to at least 8 a year, so you can bet I'm attending a few extra for more time off.
Offer to do his cards for him for a 50% cut.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18972 on: November 01, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »

Offer to do his cards for him for a 50% cut.

This is genius! Do ittttt. Tell him you'll complete the "make-up sheets" for the meetings he doesn't attend too, that way you can just fill out a couple of forms and earn an extra buck.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18973 on: November 01, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »

My job has one of those health incentives where you earn points by doing things like logging your miles / steps / biking (they reimburse for pedometers and fit bits), getting a flu shot, taking online courses in meditation stress management etc. Takes about 2 hours of total work (outside of the walking you'd normally be doing in your day if you're not completely sedentary) and you get $450. Only a small fraction of people do it. I mentioned it to my team and they all seemed unaware, or that it was too hard to complete. DERP

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #18974 on: November 01, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »

I had never seen her that angry.  At the TOLL AUTHORITY.  Because, obviously, they should have tried harder to let her know that her credit card had expired/she was racking up fines. Or, at the very least, they should have waived the fines when she said she was sorry and fixed the problem.

I have a little sympathy.  If they are fining her for tolls, they should send letters to the address her license plates are registered to, not the address the toll tag is registered to.  If her car was registered to the wrong address, well that’s a much bigger problem, since it’s actually the law to notify dmv but not so much the toll authority.

This is probably colored by my personal experience being that toll authorities have the crappiest service and systems on earth.  I’ve had my tag disabled because my credit card was expired— but I still had plenty of cash value on the tag. 

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #18975 on: November 02, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »

A Roth and a bank account? Explain.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18976 on: November 02, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »
That's a good point about the license plate registration. 

In Texas, we renew our registration once a year, and I don't think I've ever notified the county when I moved; I waited until I got the annual notice forwarded to me.  It always had a section for changing your address.  I did change my driver's license address, but that's not connected to my license plates.

If she was doing the same thing, it's possible her registration wasn't due yet (since she'd only moved 6 months before), and the fine letters were going to her old apartment and being thrown away by the new resident.

If you have a toll tag, it tries to read that first, and the toll tags aren't always paid by the car owner.  I bought my then-fiance a toll tag for Christmas while we were dating and paid all the tolls for him to come visit me before we moved in together.  If there was an issue with the tag, it really should have been my problem, not his.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18977 on: November 02, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »

1 and 2.  Not being "aware" that you can save elsewhere is intentional ignorance.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #18978 on: November 02, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »

1 and 2.  Not being "aware" that you can save elsewhere is intentional ignorance.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18979 on: November 02, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
My job has one of those health incentives where you earn points by doing things like logging your miles / steps / biking (they reimburse for pedometers and fit bits), getting a flu shot, taking online courses in meditation stress management etc. Takes about 2 hours of total work (outside of the walking you'd normally be doing in your day if you're not completely sedentary) and you get $450. Only a small fraction of people do it. I mentioned it to my team and they all seemed unaware, or that it was too hard to complete. DERP

Not quite the same, but I was always shocked when I worked in higher ed by how few of my peers took advantage of the tuition waivers that employees received. A full time employee, and that employee's spouse, could take two classes for free every semester. Including summers, that's six classes a year, or eighteen credit hours, at a school that costs more than $1,000 per credit hour.

Between my wife and I we completed three degrees for free before I took my shiny new credentials to a better job.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18980 on: November 02, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »

Not quite the same, but I was always shocked when I worked in higher ed by how few of my peers took advantage of the tuition waivers that employees received. A full time employee, and that employee's spouse, could take two classes for free every semester. Including summers, that's six classes a year, or eighteen credit hours, at a school that costs more than $1,000 per credit hour.

Between my wife and I we completed three degrees for free before I took my shiny new credentials to a better job.

My current employer has a great tuition reimbursement (of course, it is taxed). (Of course, when I got my master's I didn't have access to one.)
I thought about going and getting another master's degree just as something to do if I didn't get pregnant.

But to work full-time, take care of a newborn, and do classes just wasn't going to be possible!

Now I need to stay here until she is through with college, because their dependent reimbursement is even better than their staff!

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18981 on: November 02, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
"I'm going to drive an hour round-trip to save 10 cents a gallon on gas!"

:/

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18982 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »

Wow... Assuming 60 miles round trip, 30 miles per gallon, and gas at $2.466/gallon... they would have to fill up at least 50 gallons to make the trip worth it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18983 on: November 02, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Wow... Assuming 60 miles round trip, 30 miles per gallon, and gas at $2.466/gallon... they would have to fill up at least 50 gallons to make the trip worth it.
Well, that's easy, just take four cars. /s

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18984 on: November 02, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »

*slow clap*
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #18985 on: November 02, 2017, 02:43:57 PM »

*slow clap*

When I get a nice grocery gas reward saved up (eg 50 cents off per gallon) you know I have my wife meet me at the pump and fill both cars in one transaction!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18986 on: November 02, 2017, 02:51:08 PM »

*slow clap*

When I get a nice grocery gas reward saved up (eg 50 cents off per gallon) you know I have my wife meet me at the pump and fill both cars in one transaction!
Aha, now I know how to take advantage of that "buy 100 gallons of diesel, get a free large pizza" deal I saw at a gas station once (true story, somewhere just off I-55 in IL).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #18987 on: November 02, 2017, 09:38:21 PM »

*slow clap*

Aha, now I know how to take advantage of that "buy 100 gallons of diesel, get a free large pizza" deal I saw at a gas station once (true story, somewhere just off I-55 in IL).

Cool.  My bulldozer has a 500 gal tank, so that's five pizzas

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18988 on: November 03, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »

*slow clap*

Bargain! You should drive it around more. Get more free pizza. Save yourself some money.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18989 on: November 03, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »

*slow clap*

Bargain! You should drive it around more. Get more free pizza. Save yourself some money.

This whole exchange is gold!

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #18990 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »

As a native Houstonian and have lived here my entire life, I've actively avoided toll roads the whole time. I feel as if they are mostly a scam. I feel sorry for the people who live and/or work off of them.

What part of Houston are you located in? I've yet to meet any Mustachians in my area, although I am sure there are quite a few inner loopers.

To keep my post on the topic:

Yesterday, we had a little meeting at work to announce stuff like birthdays, babies, anniversaries, and promotions. One of my bosses announced that he was moving into a new home. Someone proceeded to ask a typical Houston question, "How far is the commute now?" Insinuating that it was going to be longer, as most people move farther and farther away as they make more money (kind of backward, right?)

Anyways, his reply was, "Oh you know, the same terrible commute down xx highway. It'll still be the regular 45 minutes or so, so not too bad really."

I was facepalming hard in my head, thinking about how he made a conscious decision to move slightly farther from work for a bigger, more luxurious house, in another bland suburban neighborhood. The prices of homes in that neighborhood, in case anyone was wondering, average 425k and 3,000 square feet. That's mansion status in my mind.

For that price, he could live within 2 miles of his job, still be in an amazing community, and have 1.5+ hours of his life back per day (or: 7.5h a week, 30h a month, 360h a year). I subscribe to the "day within a day" philosophy from the book "How to Live on 24 Hours a Day" by Arnold Bennett, so that extra 1.5 hours would be a LOT of hobby/family time!

Then the worst part was, everyone else seemed to be envying his decision and home purchase. Another co-worker said after he gets married next year, he's planning on moving to the 'burbs for the "community" aspect. As having lived in 2 major suburbs of Houston and lived in the city, there is no community in EITHER unless you make a ton of effort. But in the 'burbs it's even more difficult because everyone is too tired to meet up from commuting all day and we still live so far apart! Insanity. Rant over.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18991 on: November 03, 2017, 10:08:29 AM »
Bayou Dweller, there's a FB group for Houston Area Mustachians.

I live just south of the Beltway....in an area that seems to "require" a 45-60 minute commute, but at least house prices are half what you listed.  (The idea of paying $450k for a house makes my skin crawl.)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18992 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »
God, the commute in Houston is horrific. I lived both in Montrose (near downtown) and in the 'burbs, and living in the burbs was soul-sucking.

I always felt like at least in Houston the houses in the burbs were cheaper. I lived in a house backing up to a golf course with a pool and a ton of space and it was half the price of my 2 bedroom townhouse w no yard or amenities.

To move to the burbs and pay MORE seems completely crazy to me.

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #18993 on: November 03, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
God, the commute in Houston is horrific. I lived both in Montrose (near downtown) and in the 'burbs, and living in the burbs was soul-sucking.

I always felt like at least in Houston the houses in the burbs were cheaper. I lived in a house backing up to a golf course with a pool and a ton of space and it was half the price of my 2 bedroom townhouse w no yard or amenities.

To move to the burbs and pay MORE seems completely crazy to me.

Are you currently in Montrose? That's where I am now!

Yes, usually it is slightly cheaper to have more space in the 'burbs in Houston, but I think he's getting into the mega-houses it seems. To each their own, but I would never go for that.

Bayou Dweller, there's a FB group for Houston Area Mustachians.

I live just south of the Beltway....in an area that seems to "require" a 45-60 minute commute, but at least house prices are half what you listed.  (The idea of paying $450k for a house makes my skin crawl.)

Yes! I'm part of the group, however I try not to use FB too much and from what I've seen all of the meet-ups are in the 'burbs.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18994 on: November 03, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »
(The idea of paying $450k for a house makes my skin crawl.)

The idea of paying $450k for a house sounds amazing.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18995 on: November 03, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
(The idea of paying $450k for a house makes my skin crawl.)
The idea of paying $450k for a house sounds amazing.
Location, location, location, right?  I have a coworker moving from IL (suburbs) to UT.  His new house is 50% more expensive, but is also 50% larger and comes on four times as much land (1/4 acre -> 1 acre).  And yet, because property taxes are so much lower in UT, his mortgage payment will go down.

rws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18996 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »
Turd Co-worker #1: "This company doesn't pay us enough and the cost of living here is too high" >>  goes out to breakfast AND lunch EVERY.SINGLE.DAY day, comes in with a new gadget every week and talks about buying a $60k car (they already have 2 cars that work just fine). Oh and he's really into 'designer' sneakers (Never understood that one).

Turd Co-worker #2: Agrees with co-worker #1 >> buys $5k worth of new guns and related gadgets, and two brand new $30k vehicles in the past 6 months.

That's more pace punches than i have the strength for...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #18997 on: November 03, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Designer sneakers? I thought sneakers were to use and abuse and wear out? Its the shiny leather shoes worn to show off. (Maybe I do fashion wrong?)

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18998 on: November 03, 2017, 02:21:23 PM »
Designer sneakers? I thought sneakers were to use and abuse and wear out? Its the shiny leather shoes worn to show off. (Maybe I do fashion wrong?)

Sheesh this guy doesn't what yeezy's are? 

Neither do I, but I've heard the term thrown around, and I am aware of sneaker collectors/snobs

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18999 on: November 03, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »

Sheesh this guy doesn't what yeezy's are? 

Neither do I, but I've heard the term thrown around, and I am aware of sneaker collectors/snobs

Dont' watch this video (https://youtu.be/GxJRu5BzQyM?t=11s): it may make your head explode. :-D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!