Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252696 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6200 on: January 06, 2015, 07:05:26 AM »
So...I looked into the Pandora bracelet costs.  It appears to cost $65 for a plain band (no sparkly balls included).  The individual balls cost $20-$770/ball.  There are spacers ($20-$225/spacer) and clips ($25-$525). 

Wow.   As a kid, I had a charm bracelet...but I also thought glow-in-the-dark clothing was cool.  This Pandora bracelet thing has blown my mind. 

Glow in the dark clothing isn't cool anymore?  This bracelet is just a stupid thing that hangs on your wrist . . . but glow in the dark clothing GLOWS in the dark while providing you with protection from the elements!  I'm not seeing a down side.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6201 on: January 06, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »
Oh god, those Pandora bracelets are so awful- and SO expensive.  I've know about them for a few years because they sponsor ice skating events.  I think jewelers always want charm bracelets to be a thing because they can sell them well past the initial purchase. When I was in college the "Italian" charm was a thing- they were these flat rectangles that linked together.  I look at mine now and wonder WTF- but at least most of mine were cheap.

As for collecting them as a fake hobby- that's pretty funny.  My husband likes to read the Peanuts comic books- which has lead his mother to believing he wants every gift to have a Snoopy on it.  I think DH has 15 Peanuts T-shirts now.  Oh well, a t-shirt is a t-shirt, and he wears them for holidays (depicted on the front) or for lawn mowing.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6202 on: January 06, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »
I actually know someone who hates these things, and would never wear them, but has told her entire family that she loves them and that all she wants for Christmas, birthday, etc., are specific new baubles.  She does this because she was unsuccessful getting her family to stop buying her ridiculous things she didn't want and has no room for, which they also couldn't really afford to buy.  So she's cultivated this as a fake "hobby", and will create lists of the least expensive baubles that she claims she wants for her "collection".  They're small - she can toss them in a drawer at home - so it's less clutter.  Her family spends less but is convinced it's getting her something she wants.  She regards it as a least-worst solution to excessive holiday spending...

she should be reselling them! genius!!!

they definitely have them in the U.S., and they've been around for maybe a decade? but it sounds like they're more pervasive elsewhere. agree with everyone else though that it's mindblowing to me that anyone would pay so much money for something so horrifyingly tacky (and like someone else said about their wife, I'm a girl that actually ENJOYS tacky shit if it's at least unique and fun... and cheap)

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6203 on: January 06, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »
Pre MMM:  I bought a pandora bracelet.  I can tell you right now why they are so successful. 

From the guy's point of view:
I buy this stupid bracelet and a couple connectors now for Christmas.
Birthday:  $100 stupid gem
Valentines day:  $50 stupid gem
Anniversary:  $50 stupid gem
I did something stupid:  couch... or $20 stupid gem
REPEAT

Girl's point of view:
Awwww... he loves me!

This company will continue to do amazing.  I promise.  Guys can buy these stupid things without having to plan a lot and they also don't have to worry about getting the wrong present.

The girl who says she likes them so she can throw them all in a box... genius!  They are designed to be as auto pilot as gift cards but look like you put thought into it so I'm sure her family loves buying her presents now.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #6204 on: January 06, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »
My boss told me today that her children could not have jobs because they were 'too busy' with sports and wouldn't have time...and then continued to complain about how much of her money they spend.

I agree with this to a reasonable extent....My son was/is heavily involved in sports and did not/ does not work half the year because of his commitment to it. Not only has he gained valuable lessons in perseverance and teamwork he has earned a nice chunk of change in a athletic scholarship on top of his ample academic scholarship. However, he loves working off-season and is innately mustashian. The athlete and the parents really do have to have a realistic approach to sports. And it is usually the parents that are unrealistic in my experience.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #6205 on: January 06, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
So I pull up into the parking lot at work and a workmate of mine is sitting in a brand new, oversized and ridiculously expensive pick up truck with all the bells and whistles including Harley Davidson insignias and logos as part of the "package". This is an obvious attempt at one-upsmanship in a vast sea of other pickup trucks. You see....we build things for a living.

Me:   Hey! You got some new wheels! Let me guess.....600 a month! [feigning genuine interest]
CW:  Pretty close! Sweet huh? [in all sincerity]
Me:   That's pretty awesome...you have a deal with Harley? How much are they paying you to advertise their product? [again feigning sincerity]
CW:  What are you talking bout? I paid extra for that as part of the package!
Me:   So let me get this straight.....you are driving around advertising for a major corporation, and you paid them?
CW:  Yea! What part of this don't you understand?

What an A-hole!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6206 on: January 06, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »
They call it Pandora because, as in the myth, this jewelry should be locked in a box and never allowed to escape. Man, is that ever ugly.

EricL

« Reply #6207 on: January 06, 2015, 08:43:04 AM »
They call it Pandora because, as in the myth, this jewelry should be locked in a box and never allowed to escape. Man, is that ever ugly.

That mythological connection was just on the tip of my tongue. Thanks for completing it.:)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6208 on: January 06, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »
Pandora's box from the story at least also let out hope after all the terrible other things were released.  I'm not seeing much hope for Pandora bracelet wearers.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6209 on: January 06, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »
This Pandora bracelet thing has blown my mind. 

Me too.

A charm bracelet.  For adults.

That people actually know about.  It's not a niche thing people laugh at?

So weird.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6210 on: January 06, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »
I have to admit that I'm amazed by this Pandora trend, so I'm foaming all about it.  Sorry to everyone who isn't baffled and isn't heavily researching Pandora.  As a side note, I noticed an admin at work wearing a Pandora bracelet yesterday. 

Pre MMM:  I bought a pandora bracelet.  I can tell you right now why they are so successful. 

REPEAT

Girl's point of view:
Awwww... he loves me!

This company will continue to do amazing.  I promise.  Guys can buy these stupid things without having to plan a lot and they also don't have to worry about getting the wrong present.

The girl who says she likes them so she can throw them all in a box... genius!  They are designed to be as auto pilot as gift cards but look like you put thought into it so I'm sure her family loves buying her presents now.
Indexer, check out eBay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/40pcs-Antique-Silver-Plated-Oxidized-Pandora-Metal-Bracelet-Beads-Charms-Set-New-/301381451638?pt=US_Charm_Charm_Bracelets&hash=item462bbbff76  You can drop $12 for 40.  Pull one out every time you're facing the couch or an anniversary.  Problem solved. 

GuitarStv, I don't think glow-in-the-dark clothing was ever cool, but I loved it.  I no longer have any clothing that glows in the dark (unless you count reflectors), but I do have a stash of dinosaur t-shirts.

Oh that all happened in the past.  The girl and the stupid bracelet are very very far away!  : )

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6211 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:28 AM »
GuitarStv, I don't think glow-in-the-dark clothing was ever cool, but I loved it.  I no longer have any clothing that glows in the dark (unless you count reflectors), but I do have a stash of dinosaur t-shirts.
I still have a glow in the dark t-shirt with bats on it and a Svengoolie t-shirt.  Both get worn.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6212 on: January 06, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »

But I think I have you all beat this year.  My father-in-law died the day after Christmas (he'd been sick for a while, not much of a surprise).  I came back to work today, and here comes a coworker.

COWORKER:  I'm sorry about your father-in-law.
ME:  Thanks.
COWORKER:  I hope you still had a nice Christmas and that he got you nice things.
ME:  (blinks)  Um, he was basically in a coma for the last two weeks of his life.
COWORKER:  (have to bold this because I'm still shaking my head)  Well, then, he should have done his shopping earlier or had someone do it for him.

She said it with a completely straight face, too.  Yeah, like he was going "Wow, I think I'm gonna buy it pretty soon, better get my Christmas shopping done!"

And people ask me why I want to retire ...

Oh my god. It would have taken everything I had not to drop kick her in the face.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6213 on: January 06, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »

But I think I have you all beat this year.  My father-in-law died the day after Christmas (he'd been sick for a while, not much of a surprise).  I came back to work today, and here comes a coworker.

COWORKER:  I hope you still had a nice Christmas and that he got you nice things.
ME:  (blinks)  Um, he was basically in a coma for the last two weeks of his life.
COWORKER:  (have to bold this because I'm still shaking my head)  Well, then, he should have done his shopping earlier or had someone do it for him.

She said it with a completely straight face, too.  Yeah, like he was going "Wow, I think I'm gonna buy it pretty soon, better get my Christmas shopping done!"

Oh my god. It would have taken everything I had not to drop kick her in the face.

honestly. this is one of the worst things i ever heard. it's almost comical in its tone deafness, except for the fact that we are talking about a real person and a real loss, something that i guess this person couldn't comprehend.

i'm sorry about your father-in-law, MandalayVA, and your dipshit coworker.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #6214 on: January 06, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »

Not enough facepunch in the world to fix that amount of stupid. Just wow...

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6215 on: January 06, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »

Oh gee.  That's one of the worst comments I've read in a long time....  *shaking head*

Sorry for your loss-

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6216 on: January 06, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
One of our CW had a Pandora for Christmas. All the girls were staring at it and make kind compliments.

Later this afternoon...

CW: You may buy a Pandora to your wife someday, like heu..for birthday! It's nice and she would like it.
me: ..........(facepalm in my head as usual)

wtf, I don't know where they pick idea like this one, I'm clueless

for the record, my wife buy as much stuff as she feel she need and I swear it is probably 5x the Mustachian level.

I had to google that.. I thought it was just an internet radio station.
me too.  So, it's a bracelet?

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6217 on: January 06, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »

BITCHIN' CAMARO BITCHIN' CAMARO!  I remember that song fondly from my senior year of high school.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Those comments show such a fundamental lack of clue about people, relationships, loss of loved ones, and the world we live in that I am just dumbfounded.  It isn't even the "should have done his shopping earlier" that got to me. It is the "I hope you still had a nice Christmas and that he got you nice things."  I mean, seriously?  "Yes, he died, but thank goodness I got some sweet gifts before he left us?"  SERIOUSLY?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6218 on: January 06, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »

BITCHIN' CAMARO BITCHIN' CAMARO!  I remember that song fondly from my senior year of high school.

Those comments show such a fundamental lack of clue about people, relationships, loss of loved ones, and the world we live in that I am just dumbfounded.  It isn't even the "should have done his shopping earlier" that got to me. It is the "I hope you still had a nice Christmas and that he got you nice things."  I mean, seriously?  "Yes, he died, but thank goodness I got some sweet gifts before he left us?"  SERIOUSLY?

So sad.

takeahike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6219 on: January 06, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »

So sad.

Wow, I'm really sorry. That's about one of the worst things I've heard someone say in a situation like this. She's obviously socially wonky!

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #6220 on: January 06, 2015, 10:26:32 PM »
Just came back to work after a 3 week vacation and remembered how much I want to face punch my coworkers....I've counted 5 today

Horribly anti mustachian coworker of my past stories..

Me: Hey how did your ChristmaHaunuakka/New Years go?
CW1: Ugh, it was HORRIBLE
Me: Oh no! What happened?  I'm thinking something went wrong with her very ill parents.
CW1:  My husband got me a LABEL MAKER for Christmas...A LABEL MAKER!!!! And I spent A THOUSAND DOLLARS on his gifts!!! I was so pissed I went out to West Elm and bought all new bedding (to the tune of like 800 bucks).  And to top it all off, we thought his parents were going to get us a new washer/dryer for Christmas because that's what we asked for (mind you they need a custom sized stackable to fit in their space, prices run from 4-8k on the ones she was looking at) and they got us a damn STOCK POT.  I DON'T COOK, wtf am I going to do with a HUGE pot?! 
Me: *thinking that maybe her Korean Mother in Law was hinting at something* Well, did you tell your husband what you really wanted
CW1:  NO!! he should know that by now...didn't your husband get you something AMAZING for Christmas?
Me: No, we didn't do anniversary/bday/Christmas gifts this year (we actually don't really ever do it, or if we do it's like 50 bucks or under)
CW1:  WHAT!?!?! how can you NOT want gifts
Me: We decided that instead of gifts we wanted an additional week of vacation, we don't want more "stuff", we have enough "stuff"
CW2:  Can you train my wife to think like that....she cost me 2 grand for the earrings she wanted...she only wears earrings like twice a year.
CW3:  HA! you got off cheap, mine wanted a new Mercedes, the damn bow alone cost me 300 bucks.
Me:  You bought a CAR....without your wife?
CW3:  Yea!  She TOTALLY loved it
Me:  How's she going to love those car payments?
CW3:  PSH, she doesn't care, it's not coming out of "her" money since she doesn't really work.

How do these people EXIST!?!?!, and how do they marry each other?  On an aside, I asked everyone if we had any announcements about our 401k, they were thinking of switching from our ridiculously priced funds to Vanguard when I left on vacation, I got 2 responses from coworkers that they don't even pay attention to our benefits emails so they weren't sure...

Wow, that was hilarious!  I re-enacted this conversation for my wife and she cracked up too.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #6221 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the story Gator.

But it's not a sweet Camero, it's a Bitchin' Camero!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

Your co-worker is an @$$, plain and simple. Did you whack her up side her head?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6222 on: January 07, 2015, 02:07:33 AM »

honestly. this is one of the worst things i ever heard. it's almost comical in its tone deafness, except for the fact that we are talking about a real person and a real loss, something that i guess this person couldn't comprehend.

i'm sorry about your father-in-law, MandalayVA, and your dipshit coworker.

What miss madge said. I'm sorry for your loss. (which is all a coworker ever needs to say to a grieving coworker, unless they're friends or the like)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6223 on: January 07, 2015, 07:05:43 AM »
I have a Pandora knock off.  My MIL gave it to me as a 40th B'day gift.  I liked it for awhile.  I rarely bought myself charms, just received them as gifts from my kids and family.   I did buy a few, but you can get very inexpensive silver ones from websites.  I might have spend $25 on 6 charms.  In the end, I only wear it occasionally because it is too bulky to wear daily with all the charms on it.  I do enjoy wearing it when I do put it on, because I like looking at the charms my kids bought me for Christmas, Mother's day etc... 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6224 on: January 07, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »
I have TWO gems, both from the same coworker who needed to buy a 3 bedroom house because of her dog. (And no, I wasn't able to find out if the dog needed one or two rooms for itself.)

"I'm switching my 401k to a Roth, because my dad says taxes are obviously going to be higher in the future with the way this country is going." Would it be too mean of me to bring up that some "socialist" government in the future could always decide to tax Roth earnings? (Though I will give her points for actually saving for retirement.)

"I would never stay in a rented house. Who would rent out their house? Anyone who does that is just weird", followed by a long-winded story about a VRBO that she was considering but opted for a hotel instead and it worked out well.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6225 on: January 07, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »

"I'm switching my 401k to a Roth, because my dad says taxes are obviously going to be higher in the future with the way this country is going." Would it be too mean of me to bring up that some "socialist" government in the future could always decide to tax Roth earnings? (Though I will give her points for actually saving for retirement.)

I don't know that this is really worthy of anti-mustachian. I don't think the current government (or any government we've had over the past 20 years) is socialist, but I do believe that taxes are only going to go up. Frankly, clinging to the idea that they may decide to tax Roth Earnings is a far-fetched fear, although definitely not out of the realm of possibilities.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6226 on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »
I have a Pandora knock off.  My MIL gave it to me as a 40th B'day gift.  I liked it for awhile.  I rarely bought myself charms, just received them as gifts from my kids and family.   I did buy a few, but you can get very inexpensive silver ones from websites.  I might have spend $25 on 6 charms.  In the end, I only wear it occasionally because it is too bulky to wear daily with all the charms on it.  I do enjoy wearing it when I do put it on, because I like looking at the charms my kids bought me for Christmas, Mother's day etc...

Don't get me wrong, owning or buying Pandora bracelet is perfectly ok. The main point I wanted to bring is that out-of-nowhere remark from CW that I could buy and give it to my wife to make her happy. Through the years, I bought A LOT of gift to her and never needed outsiders to give me a clue. Over 15 years, I gave my wife a diamond ring, perfumes, necklaces and earrings. She got a pretty high budget for clothes (her and kids), winter-coats and boots (Canadian, ya know?!). If I feel she crave for a Pandora, I may find myself buy and give with no regrets*. I admit I prefer to buy high-end kitchen stuff (Kitchen-Aid appliances, quality knives or pans etc) because she is a GREAT cook and we enjoy cooking together.

*thanks for the tip of buying charms in bulk for cheap to save some couch sleep, I noted this one!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6227 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »

For the record, my FIL and I weren't close at all--remember, this was the guy who was totally supporting three of his five children, all of whom are in their late forties to early fifties (and the shitstorm that I predicted would happen upon his death is indeed happening).  I don't make that public knowledge though.  I thought the whole thing was more funny than anything but a couple of people overheard and saved me the job of ripping her a new one.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6228 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »
Not overheard but witnessed:

Yesterday i saw a couple who i know live together and both work at my company park their SUV and Sedan next to each other in the parking garage at work and proceed to wish each other a good day.  Now this being the first time i saw it b/c i arrived congruently, I'm unsure if its the norm for them, but it probably is. 

I'm sure they are justifying as having some alone time even though they work in different parts of the company.  Or b/c one has to go by the store on the way home or to the overpriced gym etc. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #6229 on: January 07, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
I would also hestitate to recommend buying a bracelet like this for your wife.  I think the bracelet is horribly tacky.  Also, I have no idea how much it costs.  I just did an image search

Expensive. And in the UK in busy shopping centres you have to queue up to get in at Xmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day. To be fair, you need something to do while your other half queues at the Apple store.

Mustachian rather than anti-Mustachian:
Boss (well paid director): We got my wife a new car over the holidays, the old one wouldn't get through the next MOT without spending more than it's worth. I sold it separately - I had to look back through the MOT certs to see how many times it had gone round the clock.

I think it's very similar to other things. There are different levels of "expense." My parents got one for my wife (they couldn't have spent more than $100 on it). I'll probably get a few little extra add ons over the years just with nice to remember things (right now there's a birth stone for our daughter, star/moon, and something else that I don't remember). But you can go way overboard with it if you want.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #6230 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:55 AM »
Buddy at work has two huskies. He was talking about getting a minivan (new, of course) with fold-down seats so that for the occasional long road trip, the dogs can romp around in the back and be happy, and there would still be room to haul luggage and other stuff.

He's already got a Beemer, a huge Ford pickup, and a motorcycle... I don't think any of them are paid off, either...

jordanread

« Reply #6231 on: January 08, 2015, 04:22:45 AM »
Buddy at work has two huskies. He was talking about getting a minivan (new, of course) with fold-down seats so that for the occasional long road trip, the dogs can romp around in the back and be happy, and there would still be room to haul luggage and other stuff.

He's already got a Beemer, a huge Ford pickup, and a motorcycle... I don't think any of them are paid off, either...
My two dogs (GSD & malinois mix) both fit in the back seat of my 2 door '88 sentra. You should ask him if he has a treadmill for them too.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6232 on: January 08, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
I can understand needing room for your dogs in your car, if they travel with you frequently (though my dog is just as happy in the back of my Civic as the back of the Escape)- but dogs do not need room to romp in a car.  Just like people, they should be secured to be kept safe.  A dog gets just as hurt when they are a projectile in an accident as when a person is.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6233 on: January 08, 2015, 07:07:42 AM »
Two Great Danes fit fine in the back of a 2003 Kia Rio Cinco -that's the 'station wagon' model.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #6234 on: January 08, 2015, 08:23:30 AM »
My sister does road trips with a Saint Bernard and a Golden Lab in her 2009 Matrix.  They get buckled into the backseat just like anyone else's children.  She also has occasionally camped in the car with them on these trips though that tends to take a little more space planning.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #6235 on: January 08, 2015, 08:31:28 AM »

REPEAT

Girl's point of view:
Awwww... he loves me!

Bingo! We have a winner! This is what I wanted to say.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6236 on: January 08, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
We've done three Australian Shepherds in a Geo Metro on a 2100 mile road trip, and we've done six Australian Shepherds (not all of them ours) in a Buick Roadmaster Wagon on a 2400 mile road trip with four dog crates set up in the back.  Good times.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #6237 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
Yesterday:

Our company made some calculation flub and had extra money to dole out in our 401ks at the end of the year.  I was discussing with two co-workers the awesomeness of $2k+ that I discovered in my account right before Christmas.  One of them high-fived me back (though he admitted he hadn't contributed much, and thus did not get anywhere near that $2k mark), but the other stared at me rather dumbfoundedly.  I don't think he's contributing to his 401k (and has a family of six or seven....).  Missing out on (LOTS OF) free money.  :(

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6238 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:50 AM »
We took a Great Dane and an Alaskan Malamute (plus 2 adults) on a 1.5 week camping road trip in a Ford Taurus sedan. We were experts at 3D tetris getting everything back in the car by the end but we all fit comfortably.
Now we take road trips back home with the Malamute, two cats (I kid you not, they travel just as well as the dog) and two adults in a Jetta station wagon

My cat rides with me regularly. He didn't like it at first but now he's used to it and barely makes a peap. I keep waiting for the day I get pulled over with him in the passenger seat. "Ma'am, what's in the box over there?"
Keep in mind I am a 30 something white woman driving back highways of South Carolina in a car that looks straight out of Fast and Furious.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:13:23 AM by antarestar »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6239 on: January 08, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
We took a Great Dane and an Alaskan Malamute (plus 2 adults) on a 1.5 week camping road trip in a Ford Taurus sedan. We were experts at 3D tetris getting everything back in the car by the end but we all fit comfortably.
Now we take road trips back home with the Malamute, two cats (I kid you not, they travel just as well as the dog) and two adults in a Jetta station wagon

My cat rides with me regularly. He didn't like it at first but now he's used to it and barely makes a peap. I keep waiting for the day I get pulled over with him in the passenger seat. "Ma'am, what's in the box over there?"
Keep in mind I am a 30 something white woman driving back highways of South Carolina in a car that looks straight out of Fast and Furious.

Need photos. Not of you, but the car and the cat.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6240 on: January 08, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »
Being in the military having fairly short hair is a job requirement and many of my coworkers will get a haircut every two weeks.  I'm usually a 3-week kind of guy, but I also cut my own hair.  Some of my coworkers scoffed at going through the trouble to save on a $10 haircut until I pointed out it's more like $200 worth of haircuts at the end of the year.  I save that much each year with an initial investment of $30 for the clippers.
I got commissioned in 2000... 6 years of active duty and another 8 in the guard, I've paid for maybe 15-20 haircuts.
I started *trying* to cut my own hair pretty early, but sort of slacked off after doing a bad job once and being criticized for it. What put me back on the DIY track were a few bad experiences - incredibly slow, AND bad quality - that made me realize I could beat the overall value if I got my act together. I got to the point after a bit of practice where I could do it myself in less time, and better than the average paid job. Now I only pay when I don't have access to my own gear.
I have a CW who likes to go to the upscale sports-themed place where they charge about $35 for a cut, shampoo, massage, etc... my wife even bought me a cert for it after he talked me into trying it once, so I went back for #2, but not long after that, I found MMM and even the occasional indulgence in such things went out the window.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #6241 on: January 08, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »
If I'm going to "indulge" in a haircut, one of the sports "man" hair cut salons would be one of the last places I'd go.  When I want an indulgence of this nature (and it's been a couple years since I've embraced the desire) I head to a proper barber for a straight edge on the scalp and a hot shave. 

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6242 on: January 08, 2015, 02:28:19 PM »
I do not understand what this "sports" hair salon thing is. Is it just a hair salon with a bunch of sports memorabilia and TVs with sports games being shown? Are there men yelling "FOOTBALL" while giving or receiving hair cuts?

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6243 on: January 08, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
If I'm going to "indulge" in a haircut, one of the sports "man" hair cut salons would be one of the last places I'd go.  When I want an indulgence of this nature (and it's been a couple years since I've embraced the desire) I head to a proper barber for a straight edge on the scalp and a hot shave.

I am going to "induldge" in one of these this weekend... I got a coupon in the mail for a free hair cut for first time users... sound like a good deal to me :)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6244 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:28 PM »
I do not understand what this "sports" hair salon thing is. Is it just a hair salon with a bunch of sports memorabilia and TVs with sports games being shown? Are there men yelling "FOOTBALL" while giving or receiving hair cuts?

It sounds like a beauty salon redecorated and renamed so that insecure men can get their hair fluffed without feeling emasculated.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6245 on: January 08, 2015, 04:07:11 PM »

These are all the rage around here.  I can think of 4 or 5 within a couple of miles.  They give you beer when you walk in, there are sports on TVs all over the place, pictures of scantily clad women and cars on the walls, scantily clad women do the hair cutting.  There's even one that has a pool table. 

One of my clients owns one so my haircuts are free except the tip.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #6246 on: January 08, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
Ugh, that gives off a really pathetic faux-macho vibe like the whole "man cave" phenomenon. I have the image of a bunch of dumpy 30-somethings in there trying to relive their frat days.

cthoops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6247 on: January 08, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
My co-worker is so full of himself that it's amazing his head fits through the door.  Today at our staff lunch he spent ten minutes talking about this new lightbulb he has in his living room that allows him to adjust the brightness from his phone (or something like that - I was only half-listening).  The whole set up costs over $50.  Dude.  Get up and adjust the lightbulb yourself.  You need the exercise. 

After that, he spent twenty minutes talking about how his daughter was leaving tomorrow for her honeymoon in the Cook Islands.  I know more about the Cook Islands now than I ever cared to learn.

I swear, it's like I'm an alien from another planet.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:41:22 PM by cthoops »

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #6248 on: January 08, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the story Gator.

But it's not a sweet Camero, it's a Bitchin' Camero!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

Oh my gawd I actually literally laughed out loud by myself in a room full of people upon reading this.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6249 on: January 08, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »
These are all the rage around here.  I can think of 4 or 5 within a couple of miles.  They give you beer when you walk in, there are sports on TVs all over the place, pictures of scantily clad women and cars on the walls, scantily clad women do the hair cutting.  There's even one that has a pool table. 

Scantily-clad women cutting hair?  That seems like it would get itchy in a hurry in all sorts of uncomfortable places.