Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252465 times)

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #10150 on: August 28, 2015, 06:44:34 AM »
Coworker just walked in and announced that she bought a new car. Her old Ford Expedition was starting to have problems (to the tune of $600) she obviously the best option was to buy a new Ford Explorer! She said "it's really nice switching to a smaller car," and she's excited about the excellent 18/25 MPG!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #10151 on: August 28, 2015, 07:08:34 AM »
He's on a beach vacation in Cozumel for 10 days. Earlier this month, he took his family to Ft. Lauderdale for a beach vacation. I asked him what he does since he claims he HATES the beach. Response: I chill in the room or at the pool bar, but I don't drink.

That may be a situation where his family loves the beach and he's just happy to be anywhere. I'm not a huge fan of vacations cause I usually just want to relax and not do much and I can generally just do that with a staycation.

The problem with a staycation for me is that I have a hard time unplugging. There is a lot of stuff that I could be doing, even if I'm just vegging on the couch, that will annoy me because I *could* be doing it.

If I'm somewhere else, all I can do is have a beer, so I may as well just do that :)

Yup. And it's not just going SOMEWHERE cool, it's going somewhere that your brain in no way associates with working. For example, my husband and I don't think we could really vacation in the Virgin Islands because we've worked there so many years and it's just GO GO GO most of the time. I think I've spent less than a day's worth of total time in the water or or chilling on the beach over ~40 total weeks spent working there over 14 years.

Now, we didn't have that problem on our single visit to the Florida Keys because the species that we work on were not present, and there wasn't very much land that our work-oriented brains felt compelled to "GO SURVEY!!!" though we did mull over work opportunities that could be pursued there.

Hawaii, which has superficially similar amenities, does not trigger this compulsion when we are there. We don't work...don't feel the urge...just zone out. But we've only been there twice. Too many visits and we'll undoubtedly start itching to do some fieldwork and be less able to chill.
I used to totally agree.  And my husband teased me, that as soon as the plane was airborne, he could visibly see my relaxation.

But then I had kids.  We've had several staycations in the last few years (vacationing with a baby / toddler AND another child is stressful), and they were very very nice.

We made sure to do things that we like to do on vacation and not really do any chores.

Same. Traveling with two kids, 4 and 1.5, is not my idea of fun. I'm just reaching the end of my staycation. I got to relax some, get some stuff done around the house, cook some interesting meals, spend time with the kids and my husband, and later today my mom is watching the kids so my husband and I can go out to lunch.

My next vacation is at Christmas. We'll drive up to visit my husband's family. Once we're there it'll be nice to have someone else entertain the kids, but I'm not looking forward to the 9+ hour drive with them.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10152 on: August 28, 2015, 07:22:43 AM »
Coworker just walked in and announced that she bought a new car. Her old Ford Expedition was starting to have problems (to the tune of $600) she obviously the best option was to buy a new Ford Explorer! She said "it's really nice switching to a smaller car," and she's excited about the excellent 18/25 MPG!

Wait, which one gets 18/25? I'm seeing 17/24 mpg for the FWD model, a little worse for the AWD model...

I guess my Subaru Legacy GT, a turbocharged AWD beast that goes 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds, gets excellent fuel economy too...

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #10153 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »
Completely overheard at work, no way I could have entered this conversation without coming off as a jerk. Coworker A mentions how, "Hubby and son went to pick up a new boat yesterday, " and , "how it's so pretty." etc. Now the other coworkers tried to give a half hearted congratulations, half hearted because she is constantly talking about how broke her family is. She is the primary income earner (making ~<30k/year) supporting her husband and two adult sons.

Coworker B goes, "how can you afford that?" and Coworker A replies, " Oh, the bank has great rates for boats right now." Silence. She then goes on to talk about how they decided they might not sell their other boat until next year because it's not a great time to sell.

This would't be so terrible, if a week a ago she wasn't telling me how her shoes are shot, but she can't afford new ones right now.

When you stand all day, shoes>>>>new boat for husband.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10154 on: August 28, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »
But the bank doesn't have good rates for shoes right now.

(That's so sad, btw.)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #10155 on: August 28, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »
But the bank doesn't have good rates for shoes right now.

Thank you for this, I laughed loudly at work!

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #10156 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »
Completely overheard at work, no way I could have entered this conversation without coming off as a jerk. Coworker A mentions how, "Hubby and son went to pick up a new boat yesterday, " and , "how it's so pretty." etc. Now the other coworkers tried to give a half hearted congratulations, half hearted because she is constantly talking about how broke her family is. She is the primary income earner (making ~<30k/year) supporting her husband and two adult sons.

Coworker B goes, "how can you afford that?" and Coworker A replies, " Oh, the bank has great rates for boats right now." Silence. She then goes on to talk about how they decided they might not sell their other boat until next year because it's not a great time to sell.

This would't be so terrible, if a week a ago she wasn't telling me how her shoes are shot, but she can't afford new ones right now.

When you stand all day, shoes>>>>new boat for husband.

Yes but she probably doesn't wear shoes when she's on the boat. So it's a win/win!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10157 on: August 28, 2015, 11:33:44 AM »
My next vacation is at Christmas. We'll drive up to visit my husband's family. Once we're there it'll be nice to have someone else entertain the kids, but I'm not looking forward to the 9+ hour drive with them.

Night drive, baby! Load 'em in the car at 9 pm mostly asleep, drive until 6am, carry them to a bed.

Make sure you get yourself some sleep during the day before you go, and grab snacks, gum, coke, and conversation if you're not used to long distance night driving.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10158 on: August 28, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
Our next one is Thanksgiving.  Kids are 9 and 3, so it's getting better, but 9 year old gets carsick.  I'm a little tired of ONLY staycations.

So we will give him dramamine.

It's an 8 hour drive in no traffic, but we have to skirt LA, so it's probably more like 10.  I suspect as we get closer, we will opt to drive part way and spend the night in at least one direction, if not both.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10159 on: August 28, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »

Night drive, baby! Load 'em in the car at 9 pm mostly asleep, drive until 6am, carry them to a bed.

Make sure you get yourself some sleep during the day before you go, and grab snacks, gum, coke, and conversation if you're not used to long distance night driving.

I just cannot do night driving. It isn't a safe option for me.
I'm suspecting that adding a kiddo the 17-hour drive we do 2-3x a year to Texas is going to have to be split into two parts.  But my SIL did it with her kids (a 3 year old and 6 year old) without a hotel, so maybe it is doable.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10160 on: August 28, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »
Aww, lame. Night driving is fantastic. Recent went from San Jose to Seattle, leaving at 8 PM. I can understand why it's hard though - I guess you get sleepy, eh?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10161 on: August 28, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »

I just cannot do night driving. It isn't a safe option for me.
I'm suspecting that adding a kiddo the 17-hour drive we do 2-3x a year to Texas is going to have to be split into two parts.  But my SIL did it with her kids (a 3 year old and 6 year old) without a hotel, so maybe it is doable.
If you have two drivers, one very long day beats two long days in a row with kids. No one can stand getting into the car on day two. Whine whine.

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
« Reply #10162 on: August 28, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »

+1 on this!
Ours was shorter... about 5 hours to visit family at their off-the-grid cottage - Left at 9pm, 2.5 yr old and 0.5 yr old kids slept the whole way and transferred over to the beds taht were waiting for us with minimal fuss.

Snacks and a couple good conversations got us through without much trouble.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10163 on: August 28, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
Aww, lame. Night driving is fantastic. Recent went from San Jose to Seattle, leaving at 8 PM. I can understand why it's hard though - I guess you get sleepy, eh?

Sleepy, yes, that is a big problem. I am just not a night person and adjusting my schedule to stay up one is really tough. But I also have a harder time seeing at night as all the lights get halos. And if we hit a city it can be terrifying due to the after bar traffic.

We usually plan to leave at 4:00-5:00 a.m., so that we get to our destination around 9:00-10:00 p.m.  When we used to leave later and get there between 11 and 2, the interstate getting into the city (this trip is always to Austin...) was so crazy we thought we would die; and of course, by that time we were exhausted by a long day.  The people on the road at 0'dark thirty in the morning seem to be less drunk, or at least less insane.

I have heard a lot of people pack up and drive overnight though- so it clearly works well for some people.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10164 on: August 28, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
I guess everyone driving with blue fuckin' LED lights on lifted trucks ain't helping your poor night vision, eh?

I am usually a lot less worried about 2 drunks on the road than 200 non-drunks, but then, I've not driven into Austin at midnight. Even NYC and chicago and boston and SF and ... etc ... were quite pleasant around those hours, though, so maybe Austin is a special breed of crazy. I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10165 on: August 28, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
Yeah, in the middle of nowhere areas where there are only going to be a few people on the roads, tired truckers is probably more of a problem than drunks.
But cities from 12-2 am, the roads are still packed.
New York City driving stresses me out because of all the honking, but it doesn't move too fast, so at least no one is barreling down the shoulder going 90 mph...

I imagine if we were night drivers we would figure out a way to avoid hitting too many cities at busy times; we already have to do that during the day drive (we have it timed to only hit OKC during traffic). 

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #10166 on: August 28, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Night driving didn't use to scare me so much until I had my own run in with a 2am lunatic. I'm ging down the highway minding my own business, and up out of the shoulder to my right, a car appears, passes me half in and out of the shoulder, floors it, and does a U-turn head on into me - while I was carrying a carload of students back from a spring trip. Up ahead I could see a bunch of cars pulled over - I think the driver was making a sport of it, hiding in the ditch and crashing into people over and over, making their own demolition derby.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #10167 on: August 28, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
We did the night drive the last time, when our daughter was 18 months old. Left at 6 pm and got in around 2-3 in the morning. It worked fairly well, and we plan to do it again, but I don't think it'll be as easy to re-settle 2 kids after a stop as 1. Still it's better than the alternative of trying to keep active kids strapped into car seats all day.

A big bonus for staying with my husband's parents or having them stay with us is that MIL is an early bird and so *she* gets up with our kids easily and we can sleep in! So being a little sleep-deprived is a fixable state.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10168 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »

Sleepy, yes, that is a big problem. I am just not a night person and adjusting my schedule to stay up one is really tough. But I also have a harder time seeing at night as all the lights get halos. And if we hit a city it can be terrifying due to the after bar traffic.

We usually plan to leave at 4:00-5:00 a.m., so that we get to our destination around 9:00-10:00 p.m.  When we used to leave later and get there between 11 and 2, the interstate getting into the city (this trip is always to Austin...) was so crazy we thought we would die; and of course, by that time we were exhausted by a long day.  The people on the road at 0'dark thirty in the morning seem to be less drunk, or at least less insane.

I have heard a lot of people pack up and drive overnight though- so it clearly works well for some people.
I'm pretty much the same way with the night vision, and the sleepiness.

We came back from summer and with delays and weather on the planes, ended up leaving LAX in our car (for a 2 hour drive) at 3 am.  We'd been awake for 23 hours at that point.

We drove one hour and then stopped at a hotel.

75% of my friends/ acquaintances said "you were only an hour from home, you coulda made it!"

$170 for a hotel beats dying with my husband 2 children in a fiery crash, thanks!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10169 on: August 28, 2015, 06:59:57 PM »
We got new neighbours about 3 weeks ago. Seem like a nice family. Their lot is the same size as our (50' X 100') he's out on his FREAKING RIDING  MOWER cutting the lawn right now. I can't believe this.

Talking to my boss a few days ago I heard something similar. He mentioned that he just rented out his house in another state, but left his lawn mower in the garage.  He asked a friend to sell it for him and split the proceeds.  He then said his friend would be coming by with a couple hundred dollars for him the next time he's in town.  What lawn mower gets sold used for $400?!  Even if I misheard him and the total sale was $200, that's still a massive mower.  I don't know how big his house was, but I know him enough that he's not the type to live on a ranch.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10170 on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »
I'd just like to say that tonight in my work emails, I encountered a situation in which I felt using the word "complainypants" would be a perfect fit.  And so I wrote it, added that word to my work mail dictionary, and sent it off.  So much fun!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10171 on: August 29, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
We got new neighbours about 3 weeks ago. Seem like a nice family. Their lot is the same size as our (50' X 100') he's out on his FREAKING RIDING  MOWER cutting the lawn right now. I can't believe this.

Talking to my boss a few days ago I heard something similar. He mentioned that he just rented out his house in another state, but left his lawn mower in the garage.  He asked a friend to sell it for him and split the proceeds.  He then said his friend would be coming by with a couple hundred dollars for him the next time he's in town.  What lawn mower gets sold used for $400?!  Even if I misheard him and the total sale was $200, that's still a massive mower.  I don't know how big his house was, but I know him enough that he's not the type to live on a ranch.
Our yard is 140x150 and people can't believe that I push mow it. Everybody thinks I need a hustler (around $3k  for the base model).

My counter points are
It only takes a little over an hour to mow.
It's a decent amount of low impact exercise and I could stand to loose a little jiggle
It's strangely therapeutic.
$3k is a ridiculous amount of money to pay to sit on my ass and avoid the very simple task of walking.
$3k is more than I paid for my pickup
I'm NOT paying $3k for a fing lawnmower.
My yard is only 140x150 minus house, garage, driveway, and garden beds.
I don't live on five acres where having a gigantic lawnmower could be "justified"
I don't want to have to store a lawnmower almost a big as a car in my already crammed garage/gym/workshop

After I go through all of them points I still get told I'm either a tight ass or crazy.... I give up.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10172 on: August 29, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »
Our yard is about 12,000 square feet (quarter of an acre- the lot is a third of an acre).
We are the ONLY people in the neighborhood who don't ride to mow.

That makes ZERO sense to me.
And the thing with the riding mowers, is most people still use a push mower to get around the garden beds, so you still need to own one of those too!

Also- apparently no one owns a weed whacker. People spend tons of time and money keeping their yards green and weed free (ours is currently brownish with a few weeds) and they don't edge. WTF?

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10173 on: August 29, 2015, 09:59:07 AM »
He's on a beach vacation in Cozumel for 10 days. Earlier this month, he took his family to Ft. Lauderdale for a beach vacation. I asked him what he does since he claims he HATES the beach. Response: I chill in the room or at the pool bar, but I don't drink.

That may be a situation where his family loves the beach and he's just happy to be anywhere. I'm not a huge fan of vacations cause I usually just want to relax and not do much and I can generally just do that with a staycation.

The problem with a staycation for me is that I have a hard time unplugging. There is a lot of stuff that I could be doing, even if I'm just vegging on the couch, that will annoy me because I *could* be doing it.

If I'm somewhere else, all I can do is have a beer, so I may as well just do that :)

Yup. And it's not just going SOMEWHERE cool, it's going somewhere that your brain in no way associates with working. For example, my husband and I don't think we could really vacation in the Virgin Islands because we've worked there so many years and it's just GO GO GO most of the time. I think I've spent less than a day's worth of total time in the water or or chilling on the beach over ~40 total weeks spent working there over 14 years.

Now, we didn't have that problem on our single visit to the Florida Keys because the species that we work on were not present, and there wasn't very much land that our work-oriented brains felt compelled to "GO SURVEY!!!" though we did mull over work opportunities that could be pursued there.

Hawaii, which has superficially similar amenities, does not trigger this compulsion when we are there. We don't work...don't feel the urge...just zone out. But we've only been there twice. Too many visits and we'll undoubtedly start itching to do some fieldwork and be less able to chill.

Since SWMBO and I both work in traffic, we find ourselves taking photos of traffic devices and signage, vehicles and occupants, and discussing the merits/challenges of the traffic network just about everywhere we go. Not having to solve the problems is our vacation. Coming home with the ideas and observations makes us more open.

I recommend you vacation in Salt Lake City and drive through the intersection at Bangeter and 3900S.... I can't totally explain it but it's very cool. The left turn lane instead of being in middle crosses behind the other traffic before the intersection which has the net result of cutting 1/3 of the time out of hey he light cycle (since you no longer  need a left turn light).

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #10174 on: August 29, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »
Lol. They do this in Utah a lot. I used to be annoyed by it, but then I realized I spend a lot less time waiting for my turn than before. Its also a lot safer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:57:49 PM by babysnowbyrd »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10175 on: August 29, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »

Since SWMBO and I both work in traffic, we find ourselves taking photos of traffic devices and signage, vehicles and occupants, and discussing the merits/challenges of the traffic network just about everywhere we go. Not having to solve the problems is our vacation. Coming home with the ideas and observations makes us more open.

I recommend you vacation in Salt Lake City and drive through the intersection at Bangeter and 3900S.... I can't totally explain it but it's very cool. The left turn lane instead of being in middle crosses behind the other traffic before the intersection which has the net result of cutting 1/3 of the time out of hey he light cycle (since you no longer  need a left turn light).

I love the concept, in Michigan they call it the "Michigan left."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left#Applicable_traffic_studies

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10176 on: August 29, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »
Our yard is about 12,000 square feet (quarter of an acre- the lot is a third of an acre).

And the thing with the riding mowers, is most people still use a push mower to get around the garden beds, so you still need to own one of those too!

Also- apparently no one owns a weed whacker. People spend tons of time and money keeping their yards green and weed free (ours is currently brownish with a few weeds) and they don't edge. WTF?

My front and back yard combined is just under 500 square feet.  I push mow it without too much trouble (though its slight slope forces me to back up and remow a few sections).  The hardest part is that the back lawn is separated from rocks by a metal border and slightly raised which leaves a strip that is almost impossible to push mow.  I've found the solution to be to hand my 5 year old a pair of scissors and point out the height I want.  I use hedge sheers around the water main, tree, and other corners.  He bugs me all week about when we can mow the lawn again.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #10177 on: August 30, 2015, 12:33:49 AM »
Whelp... We packed the trailer yesterday and just hooked it up. Planning on leaving in about 8 hours. Arriving after noon.

I find about 5 hours of dark-driving gets me enough distance that the kids are OK for the remaining drive. We'll stop around 09:00 for breakfast and a stretch, then carry on.
Why aren't you sharing this in Share Your Badassity?
(I did shit like that when I was 20 or so... I probably could now if I didn't stay so tired. Reasons why FIRE matters)

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #10178 on: August 30, 2015, 05:50:46 AM »
Not at work, but a commercial I overheard on the radio...and then later saw on TV.

"Credit cards maxed out?  We'll cut you a check for $10,000!"

This is for a Kia dealer in the area.  Guess what you'd have to use the $10,000 for!
I can't believe this is an actual ad out there.  It's just so irresponsible.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10179 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:09 AM »
Seen on the back of a "Money Saver magazine" in the work kitchen:

Mortgage Approved (Bad Credit? No Credit? Approved on Equity, not Credit!)
2nd mortgages from 6.99%
[there is a grid for borrowing 20k, 30k, 40k & 50k and the monthly payment associated with each]
Payments are principal & interest, fully open, based on an interest rate of 6.99% on a 46 year amortization.

46 years

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10180 on: August 31, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »
Not at work, but a commercial I overheard on the radio...and then later saw on TV.

This is for a Kia dealer in the area.  Guess what you'd have to use the $10,000 for!
Our car dealers no longer give a price for most cars.  They give the monthly 2-year lease cost only.  At least that ensures lots of cars for me to buy when the time comes.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10181 on: August 31, 2015, 05:37:26 AM »

A car dealership near me has one of those digital displays that shows various ads.

"Have a job? Need a car?"
"Tiene Trabajo? Necesita un carro!"

So in English they're offering you an option, in Spanish they're telling you what to do. It's odd. The Spanish-speaking population around here is mostly Caribbean and...not rich.

hollow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10182 on: August 31, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »
Years ago: Over a couple months, we had gotten many notices that our company was going to automatically enroll all employees in the 403b with a 3% deductions, unless you opted out. I had read over them, understood, and discarded the notices.  I sort of forgot about when it would happen because it won't change things for me.

One payday, a coworker is freaking out.  Her paycheck is less than normal and she doesn't know why. She's on hold with HR. I recall all these emails and letters and mention it. She can't believe they would do something like that to her. She won't be able to pay her bills. She said she "had to live on credit cards in grad school" like it was something everyone does.

She had expensive hobbies, pets, and would get excited when her parents visited because they'd take her grocery shopping and she could buy lunch meat and oreos.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #10183 on: August 31, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
I'm new here, but really enjoyed reading parts of this thread!

From last Friday:

CW1: Did you hear it is supposed to get down to 55 degrees tonight? Crazy!
CW2: Yeah! It might be cold enough to turn off the air and open the windows!

The daily high hadn't gotten over 75 degrees in over a week. My house was actually cooler all week sans air conditioning than earlier in the month when the temperature was above 90 degrees and I did have the air on for a few days.

As related to me by my husband from conversations with one of his co-workers (they are pretty friendly and talk a lot about non-work things):

CW: I think I'm going to retire next year. (early-ish 50s, has a great pension)
DH: Great. Is [wife] able to retire too?
CW: No. She chose not to pay in to retirement for a few years while our kids still lived at home to pay for their dance classes and sports. So she can't retire anytime soon.
DH: ... Oh... Well, I know you have mentioned wanting to travel in retirement, will she at least be able to take some long vacations so you can travel?
CW: Not likely. She isn't a very good saver and I'm not paying for her fun. I'll just go on my own.
DH: ...

That one might be me just being a little judge-y, but man, I can't even imagine looking at our finances as being that seperate... the next one just made us both shake our heads.

Their company has some great incentives for extra things to lower your insurance payments. One of them is that if you attend a 30 minute presentation on a Wellness Topic each quarter and get a yearly physical (for free), you get $400 off the employee paid portion of the insurance premium. DH takes advantage of all the different opportunities, but this one is the biggest chunk outside being a non-smoker.

CW: You got in early today.
DH: Yeah, I attended the wellness lecture this morning. Do you know about this program? Between this, being a non-smoker, and participating in the walking challenge in the spring, the company is covering my full insurance premium this year.
CW: Yeah, that is so much work though.
DH: C'mon, it's like getting paid $200 an hour for doing nothing but listening to a guy plus checking the box you had your yearly physical. (honor system)
CW: Yeah, but my time is valuable.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10184 on: August 31, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
CW: You got in early today.
DH: Yeah, I attended the wellness lecture this morning. Do you know about this program? Between this, being a non-smoker, and participating in the walking challenge in the spring, the company is covering my full insurance premium this year.
CW: Yeah, that is so much work though.
DH: C'mon, it's like getting paid $200 an hour for doing nothing but listening to a guy plus checking the box you had your yearly physical. (honor system)
CW: Yeah, but my time is valuable.
Haha, wow; that coworker must be making some good money.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10185 on: August 31, 2015, 01:55:27 PM »
CW: No. She chose not to pay in to retirement for a few years while our kids still lived at home to pay for their dance classes and sports. So she can't retire anytime soon.
DH: ... Oh... Well, I know you have mentioned wanting to travel in retirement, will she at least be able to take some long vacations so you can travel?
CW: Not likely. She isn't a very good saver and I'm not paying for her fun. I'll just go on my own.

Are they not also HIS kids??  If the reason for his wife working longer really is due to her paying for their kids' dance classes and sports, and he has this kind of attitude, this guy is really a jerk.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10186 on: August 31, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »

That sounds like a great relationship.  She got herself a real winner.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10187 on: August 31, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »

We have a half acre lot, which is one of the largest in our neighborhood. We're the only ones without a rider as well.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #10188 on: August 31, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »

Are they not also HIS kids??  If the reason for his wife working longer really is due to her paying for their kids' dance classes and sports, and he has this kind of attitude, this guy is really a jerk.

From what DH has gathered from other conversations, they are a couple who has always kept their finances very separate and each pay exactly half of everything. Unfortunately for her, he has always made probably double what she has. We've met the wife at work functions, and she doesn't seem a real peach herself... from the outside looking in, it is not a relationship to aspire too.

That particular conversation though has really cooled DH's friendship with the guy. He tries to keep things much more work related these days.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10189 on: August 31, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »
This isn't anti-Mustachian but I'm feeling stabby.

Every morning colleague greets everyone with "Good moaning."

It's not funny, it's not clever, and if you're that miserable then leave.

I've stopped responding to him.

Now he's sitting their slurping his coffee.

Ok, he buys coffee every morning. That makes him anti-Mustachianism.

He's just one of those colleagues whose mouth should be stapled closed for the sake of humanity.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10190 on: August 31, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
I'd forgotten about that show.

Could be an homage but from memory the character doesn't sound in pain when he says it...

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #10191 on: August 31, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
My company is pretty open with compensation. I figured out today that my coworkers missed out on $1.3 million in company match contributions.

Yay for engineers!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10192 on: September 01, 2015, 02:41:53 AM »
Are you sure “Good moaning” isn’t just an obscure reference to Officer Crabtree from the TV Series “’Allo ‘Allo!”?

That's what I would have assumed too. It'd have to be happening every morning for a very long time for me not to find it funny, I have to admit. :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10193 on: September 01, 2015, 06:00:24 AM »

He's just one of those colleagues whose mouth should be stapled closed for the sake of humanity.

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays.

jordanread

« Reply #10194 on: September 01, 2015, 06:09:09 AM »

No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10195 on: September 01, 2015, 06:25:55 AM »
I have one! I should explain the excitement, when you are retired it is hard to find something to contribute here.  This is a heard at someone else's place of work, my service department at my car dealership.

I am not mustachian about doing my own car maintenance, I prefer to have my dealership do it and keep the car running properly.  Small town - their hourly rates are = Canadian Tire rates in Ottawa, and they know the car and their work is faster/better.  Anyway, I had it in for routine maintenance, and had an extra cost since the cabin air filter needed replacing.  Fine, if the maintenance needs doing, do it. 

While I was paying, the young man at the cash explained that most people would be moaning and groaning, or just not getting the air filter, because when they do their car budget, they do car payments and insurance.  Being a person who follows maintenance schedules carefully and keeps cars well over 300,000km, I replied that you have to budget for routine maintenance as well, plus a bit for the unexpected.  Apparently not, they have a lot of people who are very unhappy with having to pay for keeping their cars running.  They think their cars will keep running with no looking after?  I suppose these are the people who buy maintenance packages and trade in the car when the package runs out.

(And zinger, the standard budget cost is loan payments - no comment on that)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10196 on: September 01, 2015, 06:29:29 AM »

No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

I could have gone more managerial:

Time to run it up the flagpole, get all your ducks in a row, grab that low hanging fruit and synergize until you square that circle.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #10197 on: September 01, 2015, 06:40:26 AM »
I have one! I should explain the excitement, when you are retired it is hard to find something to contribute here.  This is a heard at someone else's place of work, my service department at my car dealership.

I am not mustachian about doing my own car maintenance, I prefer to have my dealership do it and keep the car running properly.  Small town - their hourly rates are = Canadian Tire rates in Ottawa, and they know the car and their work is faster/better.  Anyway, I had it in for routine maintenance, and had an extra cost since the cabin air filter needed replacing.  Fine, if the maintenance needs doing, do it. 

While I was paying, the young man at the cash explained that most people would be moaning and groaning, or just not getting the air filter, because when they do their car budget, they do car payments and insurance.  Being a person who follows maintenance schedules carefully and keeps cars well over 300,000km, I replied that you have to budget for routine maintenance as well, plus a bit for the unexpected.  Apparently not, they have a lot of people who are very unhappy with having to pay for keeping their cars running.  They think their cars will keep running with no looking after?  I suppose these are the people who buy maintenance packages and trade in the car when the package runs out.

(And zinger, the standard budget cost is loan payments - no comment on that)

I have a friend who is totally crap at budgeting. One week she won't be able to buy groceries, then she'll get money and be going out to eat, buying new stuff for the house, buys expensive presents like a Chromebook for her 7 yo, etc. Her general MO with cars is basically to buy a crappy car using her tax refund, then at some point it either gets totaled (she's had awful luck with accidents, which probably is not her fault) or incurs a need for some repair that runs into multi hundreds and she can't afford it, so she scraps the whole thing and buys another car using next year's tax refund. When we bought our new car we gave her our old one because she was driving around in this death trap. It's lasted her a year, which is longer than any of her previous cars, but I wonder how long until it needs a $400 repair she can't afford.

jordanread

« Reply #10198 on: September 01, 2015, 06:54:34 AM »

I could have gone more managerial:

Time to run it up the flagpole, get all your ducks in a row, grab that low hanging fruit and synergize until you square that circle.

Ooh. I don't know which one I hate more. :)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10199 on: September 01, 2015, 08:09:47 AM »
I have a friend who is totally crap at budgeting. One week she won't be able to buy groceries, then she'll get money and be going out to eat, buying new stuff for the house, buys expensive presents like a Chromebook for her 7 yo, etc. Her general MO with cars is basically to buy a crappy car using her tax refund, then at some point it either gets totaled (she's had awful luck with accidents, which probably is not her fault) or incurs a need for some repair that runs into multi hundreds and she can't afford it, so she scraps the whole thing and buys another car using next year's tax refund. When we bought our new car we gave her our old one because she was driving around in this death trap. It's lasted her a year, which is longer than any of her previous cars, but I wonder how long until it needs a $400 repair she can't afford.

Yeah, I'm going to have to sort of disagree with you there. (Sorry, I just really wanted to get in on the Office Space quotes.)

Anyway, unless every single accident is something where it came out of nowhere with no way for her to prevent it, I really doubt that she's not somehow at fault. I'm an insurance underwriter, and I've looked at thousands of driving records. I've never seen any driver with multiple accidents that didn't also have more tickets than accidents. Good drivers drive defensively and avoid accidents; that is why I don't really buy "not-at-fault" accidents unless there are extenuating circumstances.