Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252767 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #15000 on: September 23, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »

Our family of 8 does about 8 loads per week, 420-ish loads per year.   

A load of laundry per week, per person?!

I think you might be doing something wrong... Does your family consist of 8 large men by any chance?

Assuming a baby in there (puke. on. everything. plus leaky diapers, oh god), sheets for 8 beds (washed every 2 weeks, 2 sets per load, that's still 2 loads/week), towels (after a week in our climate they smell musty - that's another load) that's actually really

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15001 on: September 23, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »

I think you might be doing something wrong... Does your family consist of 8 large men by any chance?

How so? My wife and I do at *least* 2 loads of laundry a week--whites and darks. Sometimes we don't do any.... and the next week we'll do 3-4 loads.

I do my dress shirts about 2x a month. They get their own load. Whites get their own load. Colors get their own load. Sometimes socks and underwear get their own load too.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15002 on: September 23, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
Sheets and towels alone for one person is a full load a week. My wife, daughter, and I do 3-4 loads a week in the summer, more in the winter due to bulkier clothes.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15003 on: September 23, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »

Assuming a baby in there (puke. on. everything. plus leaky diapers, oh god), sheets for 8 beds (washed every 2 weeks, 2 sets per load, that's still 2 loads/week), towels (after a week in our climate they smell musty - that's another load) that's actually really

Plus gym clothes, sports uniforms, the occasional quilt of comforter -- my family of five does four or five loads a week, so this sounds right.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15004 on: September 23, 2016, 01:17:46 PM »
Sheets and towels alone for one person is a full load a week. My wife, daughter, and I do 3-4 loads a week in the summer, more in the winter due to bulkier clothes.

why are you washing sheets and towels weekly. 

to quote Nick Miller from new girl

“No I don’t wash the towel, the towel washes me. Who washes a towel?”  – Nick

"What am I gonna do? Wash the shower next?! Wash a bar of soap? You gotta think here, pal!"

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15005 on: September 23, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »

why are you washing sheets and towels weekly. 

to quote Nick Miller from new girl

“No I don’t wash the towel, the towel washes me. Who washes a towel?”  – Nick

"What am I gonna do? Wash the shower next?! Wash a bar of soap? You gotta think here, pal!"

... Towels weekly because they smell musty and gross after about 8-9 days.

Sheets bi-weekly because otherwise they smell like stale sweat and are crumpled and full of car hair and uncomfortable. More often if it's been a ...good... week and things are messy.

Look, I'm all for not doing unnecessary cleaning, but surrounding myself in things that smell to save a dollar on washing costs? Crap savings. If I didn't notice it, trust me, I'd do it less.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15006 on: September 23, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
we do towels once a month maybe every 3 weeks and do sheets i dont even know once every two months if that. i'm not doing alot of running in my sleep so i dont really sweat in bed.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15007 on: September 23, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »
we do towels once a month maybe every 3 weeks and do sheets i dont even know once every two months if that. i'm not doing alot of running in my sleep so i dont really sweat in bed.

I'm sorry if you aren't doing any other activities that might contribute to bed sweat.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15008 on: September 23, 2016, 01:43:59 PM »

I'm sorry if you aren't doing any other activities that might contribute to bed sweat.

This. :)

I mean... if you wear clothing to bed, I guess you'd need to wash the sheets less and PJs more? Personally I go for more naked groping, but you do you.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15009 on: September 23, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »

This. :)

I mean... if you wear clothing to bed, I guess you'd need to wash the sheets less and PJs more? Personally I go for more naked groping, but you do you.

Apparently

jordanread

« Reply #15010 on: September 23, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »

This has to be my favorite post from you Chris. Thank you.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15011 on: September 23, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »

That wasn't my post, I responded to that post ;)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15012 on: September 23, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »

you jacked this up jordan thats my quote.  and how outta shape do you have to be to sweat enough having fun to drench your sheets and wash them every week? i'm picturing two obese whales going at it with sweat pouring everywhere right now.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15013 on: September 23, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »

you jacked this up jordan thats my quote.  and how outta shape do you have to be to sweat enough having fun to drench your sheets and wash them every week? i'm picturing two obese whales going at it with sweat pouring everywhere right now.

You know there's a difference between zero sweat and drenched sheets/pouring sweat right?  And there are other fluids that may be involved as well.

jordanread

« Reply #15014 on: September 23, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »

That wasn't my post, I responded to that post ;)

I suck at this. Sorry. I don't have a favorite from you, now. However, the other screen is currently playing Guardians of the Galaxy. Had I been wrong (which I was, apparently), I now want to (and probably will) call you carlord from here on out. Also, I hate this thread, but I like the idea of you (pretty sure we'd fight IRL, and then hug or something after I won ;P).

Everyone: Chris is now carlord. I like it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15015 on: September 23, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »
Yeah you people do too much laundry.  Is this a learned trait?  Did you grow up in a household where it was common to do a load every day?

Hang your towel properly so t dries
Have sex on the kitchen table or shower

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15016 on: September 23, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »

Yup, and there's even a schedule.  Two kids per day for the first three days, parents' whites on thursday, parents' darks on friday, towels on Saturday, and it's not unusual to have another load of some sort during the week.  I agree with the others that towels don't need to be washed every week, but DW doesn't agree, and since she's in charge of the laundry...

Granted, the loads aren't all very big, but that's where we're at.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15017 on: September 23, 2016, 02:24:45 PM »
Yeah you people do too much laundry.  Is this a learned trait?  Did you grow up in a household where it was common to do a load every day?

my kitchen table wont fit in my washer though

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15018 on: September 23, 2016, 02:26:18 PM »

I bet these people clean their kitchen table every day too.  Disgusting waste of resources

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15019 on: September 23, 2016, 02:31:12 PM »

I bet these people clean their kitchen table every day too.  Disgusting waste of resources

Filthy wasteful people.  They probably clean the table after they bang on it too.  Ban them from the forum for their complete disregard for the planet!!!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15020 on: September 23, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
We do about 4 loads a week for 4.  Boys sheets need to be changed because they wet the bed or the pullup leaks.

And, well, I'm a middle-aged woman.  I sweat.

Add in my workout gear, and the towels.  After a week, the towels smell musty and gross.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15021 on: September 23, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
We do about 4 loads a week for 4.  Boys sheets need to be changed because they wet the bed or the pullup leaks.

Add in my workout gear, and the towels.  After a week, the towels smell musty and gross.

are you cleaning yourself in the shower prior to using it or using it as a mop to clean up the otherly bodily fluids left on the bed? if the latter i'd wash it probably after one use.  otherwise i hang towels after showering and have no issue with musty smell in a week.

yeah kids sheets wetting them yada .. makes sense but just didnt realize people washed things this much. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15022 on: September 23, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »
8 loads a week sounds right.

wait, are we still talking laundry? Or banging on the kitchen table?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15023 on: September 23, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »
When I was raising my kids there were 5 of us and we had about 10 loads of laundry/week.  Now with just 2 of us we do probably 4 loads/week.  I actually am shocked at the people that do not wash towels/sheets on a regular basis. Ugh!!!!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15024 on: September 23, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
When I was raising my kids there were 5 of us and we had about 10 loads of laundry/week.  Now with just 2 of us we do probably 4 loads/week.  I actually am shocked at the people that do not wash towels/sheets on a regular basis. Ugh!!!!

Do you people have tiny tiny washing machines?  I wash everything on a regular basis, but not a frequent basis.  When I was single, 14 t-shirts, 14 pairs of underwear, 14 pairs of socks, and 1 pair of jeans would fit in the washing machine with 1 towel and 1 set of sheets (just the fitted and flat sheets, plus pillow case).  That's .5 loads per person per week and I'd usually still have room left in the machine... could stretch longer if I owned more socks.

P.S. I only occasionally wet the bed so maybe that's the difference?

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #15025 on: September 23, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »

Do you people have tiny tiny washing machines?  I wash everything on a regular basis, but not a frequent basis.  When I was single, 14 t-shirts, 14 pairs of underwear, 14 pairs of socks, and 1 pair of jeans would fit in the washing machine with 1 towel and 1 set of sheets (just the fitted and flat sheets, plus pillow case).  That's .5 loads per person per week and I'd usually still have room left in the machine... could stretch longer if I owned more socks.

We also operate at about .5 loads per person per week, and we're large adults. That includes towels and sheets. I have to think each kid would need substantially less. When I was a kid we had 'nice clothes' and 'play clothes'. This way neither set needs to get washed after every use. The nice clothes stay clean enough for multiple wears, and the play clothes look like hell because who cares.

And for those who will say "oh ya, but for $0.32 cents a week I'm not going to have my family looking dirty", it's about more than money. Unless you like doing laundry, you should try to minimize the horrible chore, no?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15026 on: September 23, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »

I guess I just wear a lot more clothing!  I have workout gear, which is usually washed after one wear (unless it's restorative yoga).  I work out a lot.  I also wash my sheets once a week (read into that what you will).  We also use a lot of rags for cleaning.  We're the weirdos who wash the table AND counters every day (make your jokes now).  I also use cloth napkins because I'm fancy.  But I have to wash them a lot because I'm a barbarian when I'm hungry. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15027 on: September 23, 2016, 03:58:17 PM »
I also wash my sheets once a week (read into that what you will).
Given your username, it's probably best not to read too much into it.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15028 on: September 23, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »

You have too many clothes.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15029 on: September 23, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
A lot depends on the size of the washer as well. You may do a lot "more" loads but actually have less laundry.

A 3.0 cubic foot washer does about 10-12 pounds of laundry
A 5.0 cubic foot one does about 23-25 pounds

Big difference!

Our old top-loader could be stuffed with almost double of what fits in our "new" (bought used for $150) super-efficient front-loader.

But the new one uses about a quarter of the power and water, so I'm OK with that.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15030 on: September 23, 2016, 11:37:34 PM »
I'm a big guy, and I do about a load a week for me.  Would be / should be more if I worked out more.  DW does about a load a week for her.  Then there are the kids.  Then the bath towels weekly, the pool/beach towels when we go, the sheets monthly, the dog towels sometimes.  And most of our clothes don't get washed after every wearing (underwear, socks, and workout clothes do).

That adds up to 7 to 9 loads of laundry a week and keeps us smelling good and looking presentable, but not coiffed.  This seems completely reasonable to me.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #15031 on: September 24, 2016, 06:50:47 AM »
I have two teenage boys who both do sports.  Believe me when I say that we need to do at least one load per kid per week.  The kid who does cross country is soaked from head to toe after a run, and he runs every day.  He can't let his clothes sit in the hamper for too long because they stink up his room.  Having kids also means the kitchen table is not a great option, so yeah I will wash the sheets.

trek240

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15032 on: September 24, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
My gas bill was under $12 last month for a gas dryer, gas cook top, and gas water heater

Actually, the land where my dryer sits cost me about $1900 to purchase.  So that guy does have a point.  In 30 years, I hope that I can sell that land for about $4k though.

That money you spent for your dryer space could have been worth $3k after 10 years. Shame on you for putting your FIRE at risk for a luxury.

/s

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #15033 on: September 24, 2016, 08:26:42 AM »
My gas bill was under $12 last month for a gas dryer, gas cook top, and gas water heater

Actually, the land where my dryer sits cost me about $1900 to purchase.  So that guy does have a point.  In 30 years, I hope that I can sell that land for about $4k though.

That money you spent for your dryer space could have been worth $3k after 10 years. Shame on you for putting your FIRE at risk for a luxury.

/s

Hi S,

Thank you for your advice.  I recently sold two of my bicycles because they also took up a lot of space.  I guess I could have hung them so they would not need to occupy $2500 worth of space. 

I do still have two bicycles though, so for a while I had purchased land for $5000 to store four bicycles.   I am still new to this site and learning though.  I would hang my current bicycle but my 1% selective OCD does not allow for me to suspend it upside down or vertical.   It must be stored sitting on the floor with minimal amounts of anything touching it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15034 on: September 24, 2016, 08:30:30 AM »
The "/s" was not his initials, but him indicating that he was closing a sarcasm tag.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15035 on: September 24, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
The "/s" was not his initials, but him indicating that he was closing a sarcasm tag.  :)

Hi )

I don't think people should sign off with obscure internet symbols.

/rant

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15036 on: September 24, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
Have sex on the kitchen table ...

Yep, there are many who get their oral pleasures somewhat crossed up!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:33:32 PM by Qmavam »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15037 on: September 24, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »
Lunch in lower Manhattan for $15 sounds honestly pretty cheap to me!  What do they do, drink the leftover water from the hotdog cart guy for that price?

Midtown Manhattan lunch prices near me... sandwich (falafel, meatball, grilled chicken etc.) $6-$8. Fancy salad: $10-$12. Sauteed greens/grains/veg bowl: $8-$9. Pizza: $1-$3/slice. Soup: $3-$6.

Of course you could find more expensive places if you tried, but the restaurant/take-out prices here are not that bad.

Good answer, I was going to say that while I imagine Manhattan will have higher prices than nearly the rest of the country, I'm sure you can find lunch for under $10 if you look. If nothing else there has to be a hot dog stand within walking distance of some of the office buildings.
Haha, reminds me of Heidelberg.
There si a cable train (?) up to the castle. The fare was 1,50€ up+down.
You could buy a Bratwurst for 3€ about 30m away fromt he lower station.
About 100m away from the upper station, near the castle, about 300m air distance fron the first Bratwurst, here it would cost you 5,00€.
I didnt buy it btw.

Mr Dumpster Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #15038 on: September 24, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
The boss called together all the low-level managers today and gave us the "lots of things are changing over the next few months/years, have a good attitude and maybe some of us won't get fired" talk. (He wasn't being mean or threatening, just trying to be honest.)

I was thinking how great it is to know that if I get volunteered for something that doesn't work with how I want to live my life, I have FU money and the ability to live modestly. I can ditch if things get too tough and find something else. I know a lot of my peers and even the managers above us aren't in that situation.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15039 on: September 24, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »

are you cleaning yourself in the shower prior to using it or using it as a mop to clean up the otherly bodily fluids left on the bed? if the latter i'd wash it probably after one use.  otherwise i hang towels after showering and have no issue with musty smell in a week.

yeah kids sheets wetting them yada .. makes sense but just didnt realize people washed things this much.
Of course I'm washing before drying myself off with the towel.

It still smells after a week.  Depending on the time of year, it doesn't fully dry between uses, so I imagine it's moisture/ mustiness.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15040 on: September 24, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »
Some people are a LOT more sensitive to the "musty smell" too.

As someone who is, I am fairly consistently surprised how many family/roommates I've had who can't smell a towel that smells gross to me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15041 on: September 24, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »

Hi )

/rant

All internet symbols are obscure until they're used enough to be recognizable.  "LOL," for example, was something that was quite obscure 20 years ago, as was ":)"

/s is common enough that I recognized it, and by him/her using it, it makes it more common and widespread.  You should feel lucky to have learned it now, grandpa, so you can be hip and with it when you see it next.

Your rant is against language/communication evolving, which... good luck with that.  ;)

(To be clear: Not understanding it: A-OK.  Ranting against it?  A bit silly, IMO.  But my ranting about your ranting is just as silly, I suppose, as people ranting against communication changing is as common as communication changing. So I recognize my own silliness as well. :)  )
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15042 on: September 24, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »

Hi )

/rant

All internet symbols are obscure until they're used enough to be recognizable.  "LOL," for example, was something that was quite obscure 20 years ago, as was ":)"

/s is common enough that I recognized it, and by him/her using it, it makes it more common and widespread.  You should feel lucky to have learned it now, grandpa, so you can be hip and with it when you see it next.

Your rant is against language/communication evolving, which... good luck with that.  ;)

(To be clear: Not understanding it: A-OK.  Ranting against it?  A bit silly, IMO.  But my ranting about your ranting is just as silly, I suppose, as people ranting against communication changing is as common as communication changing. So I recognize my own silliness as well. :)  )

I wasn't ranting, that's my name

/rant

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15043 on: September 24, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
lol

/s

/s

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15044 on: September 24, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »
It was a real live example how a well off family can become ‘poor’ in just two generations. The grandparents were upper-class, the father becomes a gynecologist and should have remained upper-class but his shopping addiction is holding him in middle class (for now, since he is still working and making good money, once he retires I am afraid it is going to be a different story) and she is making a middle class wage but has upper class taste but doesn’t realize that without the support of her mother who is also middle class she would have ended up poor …

I know someone with similar issue. Grandparents started poor, pulled themselves up to a comfortable retirement & leaving money when they died. Parents started lower middle class, ended up lower upper class. They have their issues, mostly mental/emotional, but money wise they've got plenty.

Daughter? Has tastes, expectations of what she was raised with. Worked at a law firm doing admin work $14/hr for 6 years. Law firm started having trouble, people jumping ship all over, despite being told that job searching was a good idea, she stayed there, got transferred into another dept that needed people. Not a good fit, so fired. Then spent 6 MONTHS not really job searching, living off savings & unemployment. Then got a part time, minimum wage manual labor job. Also in here her car was totaled (freak storm flooded the parking lot & the car), so she bought a brand new 2016 Prius. In cash.

She has the option to move back in with her parents, but for mental & emotional health reasons, that is a really bad idea. I'm not sure when she'll wake up to reality, but she spends more than I do and I make 4x what she does. She's headed for a hard crash.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15045 on: September 24, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »
And I'm convinced you're messing with me. My dryer probably cost $400 like 8 years ago and is still going strong. Dryer sheets?  They're what, $2.99 for a box of 500?  And space?  Seriously?  Part of the beauty of a dryer is that I don't have space to air dry everything I, my wife, and my kid wear in a given week. Takes up far more space than the 9sq ft my dryer does.

Seriously, you're fucking with me right?

Why do you even use dryer sheets?

Reduces static cling.

And softens cloths. And makes them smell nice. They help to keep stains out of your cloths.

And reduces lint on clothing in the dryer process.

They can also cause rashes, allergic reactions, and similar issues for the poor sufferers among us. Me included. Dryer sheets are NOT part of my routine, neither is fabric softener.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15046 on: September 24, 2016, 10:02:52 PM »
We inherited some bounty sheets from a friend who loved.  We don't use dryer sheets so left it in the garage.  My wife eventually says "something smells really bad in the garage"  I'm like "it's probably those dryer sheets they smell very powerful."  She says no but fast forward... Yeah it was the sheets.  They smell like a toxic waste dump.  I have sensitive skin so avoid products like that.  If you like it, go for it the price is insignificant. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15047 on: September 24, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
We inherited some bounty sheets from a friend who loved.  We don't use dryer sheets so left it in the garage.  My wife eventually says "something smells really bad in the garage"  I'm like "it's probably those dryer sheets they smell very powerful."  She says no but fast forward... Yeah it was the sheets.  They smell like a toxic waste dump.  I have sensitive skin so avoid products like that.  If you like it, go for it the price is insignificant.

I know they sell those sheets in scents like "fresh linen" and "outdoor fresh," but I've never come across the "toxic waste dump" variety.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15048 on: September 25, 2016, 04:17:05 AM »
So, after adding some more foam tot his thread (like it needed any more .. The orange and black box are overflowing already with foam .. :-) I do have an overheard/witnessed at work story to share with you.

It was a real live example how a well off family can become ‘poor’ in just two generations. The grandparents were upper-class, the father becomes a gynecologist and should have remained upper-class but his shopping addiction is holding him in middle class (for now, since he is still working and making good money, once he retires I am afraid it is going to be a different story) and she is making a middle class wage but has upper class taste but doesn’t realize that without the support of her mother who is also middle class she would have ended up poor …

This kind of occurred with my family. No one was rather rich, but my great grandfather owned over a 1000 acres in rancho seco, CA. My grandmother sold it off for a million and began a gambling addiction. Thankfully there's social security, because at least 90% of that money's been burnt up.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15049 on: September 25, 2016, 06:34:18 AM »

Hi )

/rant

I thought @rant was being s /s.   ROFL.

/confused

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!