Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253220 times)

Elle 8

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11700 on: January 09, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
Even losing lotto tickets can win you money! You can find a couple of those losing scratchoff tickets and cash them in for second-chance drawing. NJ lotto's is $1 million, so there's that.

Ha!  My dog walking route takes me past a convenience store that sells lottery tickets.  Sometimes there's a scratch ticket on the ground.  I'll pick it up, check the numbers and if has a second chance drawing (not all of them do here in Massachusetts), I'll take it home and enter.  Haven't won yet, but I'm hopeful, haha!

Also, I did join the office Powerball pool for $2 because if they did win, I wouldn't want to be the one left to do all the work!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11701 on: January 09, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »
Even losing lotto tickets can win you money! You can find a couple of those losing scratchoff tickets and cash them in for second-chance drawing. NJ lotto's is $1 million, so there's that.

Ha!  My dog walking route takes me past a convenience store that sells lottery tickets.  Sometimes there's a scratch ticket on the ground.  I'll pick it up, check the numbers and if has a second chance drawing (not all of them do here in Massachusetts), I'll take it home and enter.  Haven't won yet, but I'm hopeful, haha!

Also, I did join the office Powerball pool for $2 because if they did win, I wouldn't want to be the one left to do all the work!

I declined to join at work. The guy next to me said he did some on his own and at his wife's work... basically he hasn't but wants to be more diplomatic than me :P.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #11702 on: January 09, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
Co worker used to brag at lunch she spent $300 a month on dry cleaning.  She was a CPA and the company controller.  One of the young architects said what we all were thinking.  "Glad you're not my CPA."  Oh, and this was in 1989 and she was about 27 years old.  Has always stuck in my craw.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11703 on: January 09, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »
new one to add: CW bought a new to her 2014 F150 V8 single cab. She drives 60 miles each way every day, for I think $15 an hour or so. They wouldn't take her old car in on trade, so the dealer actually advised her to LET IT GET REPOSSESSED! it would be her 3rd repo, but shouldn't matter because she will still be paying on the truck in 7 years when her credit is "better". It's so good now her interest rate is 13% So this $22k truck is going to cost $36k by my math, plus lets say gas averages $3 a gallon x 6 gallons a day X 250 days/year x 5 years = $22,500 in GAS in a $22k truck she's paying 36k for.

wow, $59,000 for a used ford F150. it better do dirty sexual things for that price.

Not that this CW made a good decision, but seriously, why are people still assuming fuel is $3 a gallon?  From where I sit, I see a gas station that has gas at $1.79 and diesel at $2.19.  In fact, I believe we ended 2015, at least here in the states, with an average price per gallon of gasoline at $2.00.

Now, that's still stupid for that personals financial situation, and a LOT of fuel, but why does everyone on MMM have to get so judgy over people's decisions?

Figuring a ballpark $3 average for the next seven years of gasoline prices is reasonable when figuring the total cost of the vehicle. You can't just say 'oh, gas is $1.79, gonna stay cheap for 7 years!'

On the oil topic: US producers/frackers have driven costs down HARD. Thinking that $70/barrel is needed for profits is ridiculous. It's below $45/barrel - I'm not sure how far below, but below. All those truckers who were getting paid 6 figures? Try $50k, if they can keep their jobs at all. Drilling rig rentals are well below half what they were. Oil services companies? Hell, when oil was down to $70, the majors told them "cut prices 40% or we'll get someone else" - hotels that were getting $250/night are happy to get $75. Even the materials suppliers are being squeezed hard. Prices to complete a fracked well are WAY WAY down.

And cost-cutting innovations (more efficient/accurate/productive drilling/fracking) are being implemented hard and fast.

Yes, production is going down in the USA and will keep going down - but nowhere near as much as was originally predicted.  The Saudis are making the US oil producers WAY more efficient.

$33.16/barrel now. Mid-90's price levels now, it seems.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11704 on: January 11, 2016, 07:41:15 AM »
Me too... didn't win anything, though.  How would you feel if you won $200 million with a found lottery ticket though?  I imagine they might even trace it back to the original buyer.

That's a very interesting scenario. If officials have any suspicions they may quiz the winner about where and when he/she bought the ticket because they do have that on record. Then there's the question of whether the retail outlet would keep surveillance footage from the date of the purchase.

I remember reading about one case where a contractor working for the lottery was busted by surveillance footage of him buying a winning ticket after he rigged an upcoming drawing. He subsequently gave the ticket to an accomplice that tried to claim the prize.

You'd probably know the location of the purchase since they typically advertise it on the news.  The question is would you lie about buying it?  As much as I'd like a few hundred million, I'm not sure I would.  On the other hand, if you admit you found it, thousands of people would probably come forward "claiming" the ticket.  I agree surveillance footage may or may not exist, especially if you wait a year to claim the prize.

Not sure about elsewhere, but consider the following law from PA:

Until such time as a name is imprinted or placed upon the rear portion of the lottery ticket in the area designated for name, a lottery ticket shall be owned by the physical possessor of the ticket.

So if it's unsigned, you could probably cash it without needing to lie.  Moreover, you should write your name immediately upon purchase.
Being out of state of a lotto state, it's pretty common for one guy to drive up to Tennessee and buy tickets for a bunch of people.  So here it's not uncommon if your credit card purchases don't match the location of the ticket.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11705 on: January 11, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »
Me too... didn't win anything, though.  How would you feel if you won $200 million with a found lottery ticket though?  I imagine they might even trace it back to the original buyer.

That's a very interesting scenario. If officials have any suspicions they may quiz the winner about where and when he/she bought the ticket because they do have that on record. Then there's the question of whether the retail outlet would keep surveillance footage from the date of the purchase.

I remember reading about one case where a contractor working for the lottery was busted by surveillance footage of him buying a winning ticket after he rigged an upcoming drawing. He subsequently gave the ticket to an accomplice that tried to claim the prize.

You'd probably know the location of the purchase since they typically advertise it on the news.  The question is would you lie about buying it?  As much as I'd like a few hundred million, I'm not sure I would.  On the other hand, if you admit you found it, thousands of people would probably come forward "claiming" the ticket.  I agree surveillance footage may or may not exist, especially if you wait a year to claim the prize.

Until such time as a name is imprinted or placed upon the rear portion of the lottery ticket in the area designated for name, a lottery ticket shall be owned by the physical possessor of the ticket.

So if it's unsigned, you could probably cash it without needing to lie.  Moreover, you should write your name immediately upon purchase.
Being out of state of a lotto state, it's pretty common for one guy to drive up to Tennessee and buy tickets for a bunch of people.  So here it's not uncommon if your credit card purchases don't match the location of the ticket.

I don't know how it is in other states, but in Minnesota you need to pay cash for lottery tickets.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #11706 on: January 11, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »
I’ve written before about some of my coworkers’ financial shenanigans.  For the most part, they’re pretty careful and sensible, but one of the managers in my department is the notable exception.

He repeatedly asks for information about investing and finances which I’m happy to oblige him with because the level of his ignorance is slightly frightening and because it’s such general information that I’m not tipping my hand.  For example, he doesn’t participate in our 401k because he didn’t understand the tax benefits.  Instead, he pays an advisor to invest in post-tax accounts at over 1.5% fees.  Facepalm.  He also asked once, disparagingly, if I invested in index funds since, “those are just for folks who don’t know what they’re doing.”  (As a side note, in one of our first discussions, he asked if I thought you could manage finances without an advisor.  I responded enthusiastically that you could, only to be convinced by his subsequent statements that he really, REALLY needed to be talking to someone who knows what they’re doing.  Advisors are good for some people.  I just wonder what this advisor does for him if he’s STILL so clueless after years of working with this advisor.)

Anyway, apparently he has these discussions with many of my coworkers too, which is probably great since, as I mentioned they’re pretty sensible.  After having enough of these conversations, he’s decided to downsize to a smaller house with a shorter commute time.  Because it’s a smaller house, he got money back from the sale of his old house in addition to lowering his commuting costs and monthly housing expenses.  So far so good.   

So then he starts talking about what to do with the extra money from the sale of the house.  Ok, I can see lots of reasons for not simply rolling that into a larger down payment on the new house.  I assumed, however, that since he’s constantly talks about not having enough to retire on that he’d invest the difference, using it to kick-start his savings.  Instead, I’ve now started hearing about some expensive kitchen options that he’s installing in the new house and some possible renovations (we’re talking moving walls and plumbing, not repainting or new carpets, so these are pricy renovations).  So, he’s basically already spent the money he’s making from the sale of the old house.  He also calculates that he’s only saving about $200 a month by moving.  While that’s a nice monthly boost, I hardly think that will set him on a path to financial freedom, particularly since he just reset the 30-year timer on paying for his house.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11707 on: January 12, 2016, 12:24:04 AM »
Coworker and I were discussing the lotto and she says
 "we should play the smaller ones"
Me- I know, I don't understand why everyone wants to play the 1b when 2m would be more then enough
CW- enough for what?
Me- to retire on, don't show up to work the next day
CW- are you crazy, you can't retire on 2m
Me- sure you can, just put it in a diversified portfolio
Cw changed the subject, I wish I could of gotten into how much do you make per year, of 70k, what 2m/70k almost 30x? (ignoring taxes)...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11708 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:35 AM »
Me- I know, I don't understand why everyone wants to play the 1b when 2m would be more then enough
CW- enough for what?
Cw changed the subject, I wish I could of gotten into how much do you make per year, of 70k, what 2m/70k almost 30x? (ignoring taxes)...

Similar thing was discussed at my work the other day, we had a big draw here in Australia and a team of us went into a group ticket, we would have got about 3 million each(and australian lotto isn't taxed), and most said it wouldn't be enough to retire.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11709 on: January 12, 2016, 05:02:26 AM »
CW- enough for what?

Similar thing was discussed at my work the other day, we had a big draw here in Australia and a team of us went into a group ticket, we would have got about 3 million each(and australian lotto isn't taxed), and most said it wouldn't be enough to retire.

Some of us at work today were admiring a prize home at Noosa for which tickets are currently for sale. The home and furniture package is supposedly worth $1.9M, and it comes with 2 cars valued at about $160k and gold bullion at $750k.

I was the only one who said that selling the house wouldn't be a mandatory requirement for my retirement (I'd sell it, it's ugly, but still...) and that I could quite happily live off the $900k I'd get for the house and gold. They all looked at me like I was insane.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11710 on: January 12, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
On lentils.

Discount lentils.  Coupled with rice from dumpster diving.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11711 on: January 12, 2016, 06:39:25 AM »
On lentils.

Discount lentils.  Coupled with rice from dumpster diving.

Also they had a coupon for the dumpster rice.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11712 on: January 12, 2016, 07:01:44 AM »

I don't know how it is in other states, but in Minnesota you need to pay cash for lottery tickets.

I thought that too, but last Friday I bought a powerball ticket with my credit card.

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11713 on: January 12, 2016, 07:51:36 AM »
One of my bosses recently bought a condo in the Virgin Islands. She is in her mid-30's and is a pretty extravagant spender; probably makes ~$150k. This has to be a very poor financial decision right?

She rents an apartment in a prime area of Manhattan, and plans to vacation to VI often (she's already been quite a bit) as well as use the condo as a vacation rental managed by the condo association (I believe she said they get 40% of the gross rent or something outrageous). I just can't see how you buy a vacation condo before you own your primary residence.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11714 on: January 12, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
One of my bosses recently bought a condo in the Virgin Islands. She is in her mid-30's and is a pretty extravagant spender; probably makes ~$150k. This has to be a very poor financial decision right?

She rents an apartment in a prime area of Manhattan, and plans to vacation to VI often (she's already been quite a bit) as well as use the condo as a vacation rental managed by the condo association (I believe she said they get 40% of the gross rent or something outrageous). I just can't see how you buy a vacation condo before you own your primary residence.
It can make a lot of sense, particularly if you are priced out of the location you work in and can get a decent return on the holiday rental.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11715 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »
More of an oversaw at work.  So for the last couple of years I've seen this very pricey BMW in the parking lot, the specialty license plate is O mst Go and the rear end is covered in Obama is an illegal immigrant, NObama (and more recently pro donald trump stickers).  For years I've been mentally profiling the owner without realizing it as the plethora of non removable, hate spewing, racist crap stickers increased.  I always figured old white man bitter that he's still working. 

Well today the owner of this car pulled into the space besides me and I saw them for the first time....95 lb Asian woman with a couple of Costco sized crates of cat food in the back seat, along with her cat print laptop bag and the radio was blaring some political AM station that was denouncing on how white people can't afford to live in this country any more, and how the Demoncraps have ruined this once great nation etc....yup, threw me for a loop.  The biggest anti Obama person in our office park is a crazy Asian cat lady folks.

**PS I'm also owned by a couple of cats, this just struck me as a huh....didn't see THAT one coming.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11716 on: January 12, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
More of an oversaw at work.  So for the last couple of years I've seen this very pricey BMW in the parking lot, the specialty license plate is O mst Go and the rear end is covered in Obama is an illegal immigrant, NObama (and more recently pro donald trump stickers).  For years I've been mentally profiling the owner without realizing it as the plethora of non removable, hate spewing, racist crap stickers increased.  I always figured old white man bitter that he's still working. 

Well today the owner of this car pulled into the space besides me and I saw them for the first time....95 lb Asian woman with a couple of Costco sized crates of cat food in the back seat, along with her cat print laptop bag and the radio was blaring some political AM station that was denouncing on how white people can't afford to live in this country any more, and how the Demoncraps have ruined this once great nation etc....yup, threw me for a loop.  The biggest anti Obama person in our office park is a crazy Asian cat lady folks.

**PS I'm also owned by a couple of cats, this just struck me as a huh....didn't see THAT one coming.

Not that surprising, as all cats are Republicans.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11717 on: January 12, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »

I've thought about it--but that is mostly because I know where I want to vacation for the rest of my life, but can see 3-4 moves in the next 5-10 years in the place that I actually live. Oh, and the vacation area, homes are CHEAP. A waterfront 4BR house is about the same as a 2BR, busy street in a good school district here.

vivian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11718 on: January 12, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
At my office, parking options are as follows: 1) metered parking right outside the door (intended for visitors), 2) buy a permit for the large parking lot at $36 per month, or 3) park on the street about 3-4 blocks away for free. There is a small contingent that park on the street (as do I when I have to drive). Most have parking permits. One coworker jokes about how I don't have a parking permit. Today I learned that not only does he pay for a permit, but about once a week also pays for a metered spot. He always has some reason, really cold weather, heavy bag, etc. but goes out every two hours to feed the meter when he's already paid for a permit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitsuj1225

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11719 on: January 13, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »
I'm a part-time realtor on the side (I have a regular 9-5 as well) so this isn't more of a "overheard at work" as it is people I've come across in real estate.

The best face-palm moment that happened recently is that I had a potential client contact me about seeing a property.  It was regarding a $45k mobile home.  I emailed him the MLS information and asked if he wanted me to set up a showing.  I get a reply back saying he's waiting on a disability check and trying to straighten out his credit before buying right now (he's the one who contacted me first by the way).  Which is still fine if the footer of his email didn't read "Sent from my Galaxy S6 on AT&T".

It was everything I could do not to email him back and say you mean to tell me you have a $600+ brand new smartphone and another ridiculous monthly amount for having an AT&T plan but yet you have bad credit and have trouble affording a $45k home?  Priceless.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11720 on: January 13, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
I'm a part-time realtor on the side
Me too, and I like it so much I plan to do it in FIRE. We should swap cards and stuff. ;)
It was everything I could do not to email him back and say you mean to tell me you have a $600+ brand new smartphone and another ridiculous monthly amount for having an AT&T plan but yet you have bad credit and have trouble affording a $45k home?  Priceless.
In fairness, AT&T probably did build most or all of the retail value of that phone into his plan, so it doesn't seem that expensive. You're showing the guy a $45K trailer, what kind of sophistication do you expect? xD

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11721 on: January 13, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
You're showing the guy a $45K trailer, what kind of sophistication do you expect? xD

+!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11722 on: January 13, 2016, 05:25:42 PM »
In fairness, AT&T probably did build most or all of the retail value of that phone into his plan, so it doesn't seem that expensive. You're showing the guy a $45K trailer, what kind of sophistication do you expect? xD

In another forum  frequent regarding credit card offers one AT&T customer scoffed at the Citi AT&T More card which gives you a $650 rebate on purchasing a phone for full price from AT&T, complaining that the phones are overpriced on their site.  I saw iPhone's going for the same price as Apple's site.  I can only assume he's used to having his phone baked into his plan that $750 for an iPhone 6s 64Gb seems like a jacked up price when he can get it with his jacked up plan for only $200 (or whatever they offer it for, I'm a T-Mobile customer).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11723 on: January 13, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »

In another forum  frequent regarding credit card offers one AT&T customer scoffed at the Citi AT&T More card which gives you a $650 rebate on purchasing a phone for full price from AT&T, complaining that the phones are overpriced on their site.  I saw iPhone's going for the same price as Apple's site.  I can only assume he's used to having his phone baked into his plan that $750 for an iPhone 6s 64Gb seems like a jacked up price when he can get it with his jacked up plan for only $200 (or whatever they offer it for, I'm a T-Mobile customer).

That's a great deal for an unlocked phone!  You have to activate on ATT but I suppose no contract is required....

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-att-access-more-credit-card

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11724 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

That's a great deal for an unlocked phone!  You have to activate on ATT but I suppose no contract is required....

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-att-access-more-credit-card
Yearly fee isn't waved, and if you don't have AT&T you do have to pay for 1 month + a prorated partial month which they force on you, usually 3 days or so.

For me it worked out as
$850 - iPhone 6s 128gb
+$95 - annual fee
+$70 - AT&T cheapest no-contract plan
-$650 - Credit after meeting minimum requirements
-$52 - worth of Citi Thank You points
-$35 - worth of Plenti points
------
$278 - Total cost of iPhone 6s 128gb.  This might be similar to what one pays with an inflated AT&T plan with phone costs baked in.

Also note that AT&T purchases are interest free for 6 months or so, making it very easy to float the money until you get the credit from Citi.

This phone replaces my Nexus 4 which I had used for over 3 years.  I expect to get at least 3 years, possibly more, out of this one.  It also replaced the camera we were thinking of getting for when we travel.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #11725 on: January 14, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
I'm a part-time realtor on the side (I have a regular 9-5 as well) so this isn't more of a "overheard at work" as it is people I've come across in real estate.

Which is still fine if the footer of his email didn't read "Sent from my Galaxy S6 on AT&T".

Hopefully not too foamy, but I own rental properties on the side and this exact thing annoys me to no end.  Back in the day,  it was the young couples who got pregnant on a dime, could not afford to pay rent, but had a stack of Nike boxes and a flat screen in the bedroom - well before they were reasonably priced (and I still had a tube TV in my home).  Nowadays its the tenant who texts you with yet another excuse of why they will be late, and the iPhone latest edition on Verizon footer comes through.  I have to resist the urge to point out that the inflated phone and plan is not as important as the roof over your head...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11726 on: January 14, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »

Which is still fine if the footer of his email didn't read "Sent from my Galaxy S6 on AT&T".

Hopefully not too foamy, but I own rental properties on the side and this exact thing annoys me to no end.  Back in the day,  it was the young couples who got pregnant on a dime, could not afford to pay rent, but had a stack of Nike boxes and a flat screen in the bedroom - well before they were reasonably priced (and I still had a tube TV in my home).  Nowadays its the tenant who texts you with yet another excuse of why they will be late, and the iPhone latest edition on Verizon footer comes through.  I have to resist the urge to point out that the inflated phone and plan is not as important as the roof over your head...

Can we stop calling them flat-screens now?  They are just TVs.  If you want to indicate that they are expensive, just say expensive or new.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11727 on: January 14, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »

Can we stop calling them flat-screens now?  They are just TVs.  If you want to indicate that they are expensive, just say expensive or new.

She did specify it was "back in the day".  A flat screen was not just a TV during that historic period in time, so the distinction is required.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11728 on: January 14, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »

'Course, there are plenty of people whose families would give them a new cell phone, TV, or other luxury good for birthday/Christmas but would think it gauche to give a card with a check for $1000.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11729 on: January 14, 2016, 03:15:51 PM »

She did specify it was "back in the day".  A flat screen was not just a TV during that historic period in time, so the distinction is required.

You are right, it's much better to say type out "a flat screen in the bedroom - well before they were reasonably priced (and I still had a tube TV in my home)"

Than simply "expensive TV"

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #11730 on: January 14, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

'Course, there are plenty of people whose families would give them a new cell phone, TV, or other luxury good for birthday/Christmas but would think it gauche to give a card with a check for $1000.

LOL, in this particular case (the TV case, not the iPhone case), tenant's mom was kicking in half the rent.  She just foolishly made that check out to her daughter, until I suggested she send the funds directly to me.  Wasn't too long after that that the tenants were begging the local catholic charity to cover their rent in full.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #11731 on: January 14, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »

You are right, it's much better to say type out "a flat screen in the bedroom - well before they were reasonably priced (and I still had a tube TV in my home)"

I'm still bitter about it, hence the description!  Can we move on now?

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11732 on: January 14, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »

Succinctness can be a virtue, it can also destroy information and context.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11733 on: January 14, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »

Succinctness can be a virtue, it can also destroy information and context.

That's just a fancy way of saying "shut up"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:21:57 PM by dragoncar »

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11734 on: January 14, 2016, 09:14:53 PM »

You didn't see that coming, probably because you have likely never taken the time to actually consider the viewpoints of your opposition. I am not a republican, but I've known many Asian republicans.  In my own experience, the Asian republican is more common than the American-of-African-Decent republican; but that might just be a local thing.  I'd challenge you to ask her about her real perspectives.  If you were to honestly consider them, I'd wager that you'd find that her responses are much more thoughtful than what you expected, and certainly more thoughtful than a bumper sticker slogan.  You probably would still disagree, but you might gain a better appreciation for differing viewpoints.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11735 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:39 PM »

You didn't see that coming, probably because you have likely never taken the time to actually consider the viewpoints of your opposition. I am not a republican, but I've known many Asian republicans.  In my own experience, the Asian republican is more common than the American-of-African-Decent republican; but that might just be a local thing.  I'd challenge you to ask her about her real perspectives.  If you were to honestly consider them, I'd wager that you'd find that her responses are much more thoughtful than what you expected, and certainly more thoughtful than a bumper sticker slogan.  You probably would still disagree, but you might gain a better appreciation for differing viewpoints.

MoonShadow, I have to ask: do you often talk to vile-spewing racists, and have them respond thoughtfully?

And to your response, how can you possibly know anything about how much MishMash has considered the viewpoints of her opposition?  It sure looks like you jumped to a conclusion there.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11736 on: January 14, 2016, 10:47:48 PM »

MoonShadow, I have to ask: do you often talk to vile-spewing racists, and have them respond thoughtfully?

Beltim, do you honestly think that an Asian woman driving a nice car with anti-Obama stickers is racist?

And to your response, how can you possibly know anything about how much MishMash has considered the viewpoints of her opposition?  It sure looks like you jumped to a conclusion there.

Obviously, there has been a whole lot of jumping going on.  Based upon what you write in other political threads, I'm surprised you're not exhausted yourself.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11737 on: January 14, 2016, 10:52:31 PM »

Beltim, do you honestly think that an Asian woman driving a nice car with anti-Obama stickers is racist?

I don't think an Asian woman is racist because she is driving a nice car with anti-Obama stickers.  MishMash said she had "hate spewing, racist stickers" on the car (that's why I bolded that section).  That could make her racist, yes.

Obviously, there has been a whole lot of jumping going on.  Based upon what you write in other political threads, I'm surprised you're not exhausted yourself.

So yes, you jumped to a conclusion.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11738 on: January 14, 2016, 11:06:40 PM »

I don't think an Asian woman is racist because she is driving a nice car with anti-Obama stickers.  MishMash said she had "hate spewing, racist stickers" on the car (that's why I bolded that section).  That could make her racist, yes.

I'd say that is more likely to reflect upon MishMash's interpretations of anti-Obama bumper sticker slogans generally than the inner thoughts of a random Asian woman.  Actual quotes of said bumper stickers might be helpful here.

So yes, you jumped to a conclusion.

Yes, of course I did.  So did you.  So did MishMash, for that matter; which is why he was surprised.  Prey tell, how would any of us avoid conclusion jumping, based only upon a single forum post without any photos?

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11739 on: January 14, 2016, 11:11:48 PM »
Yes, of course I did.  So did you.  So did MishMash, for that matter; which is why he was surprised.  Prey tell, how would any of us avoid conclusion jumping, based only upon a single forum post without any photos?

I jumped to no conclusion.  I asked you why you were so quick to jump to a conclusion, because it seemed rude.  Do you have any evidence that MishMash hasn't taken the time to consider the viewpoints of her opposition?  You didn't provide any in your previous posts.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11740 on: January 15, 2016, 12:12:41 AM »

I jumped to no conclusion.  I asked you why you were so quick to jump to a conclusion, because it seemed rude.  Do you have any evidence that MishMash hasn't taken the time to consider the viewpoints of her opposition?  You didn't provide any in your previous posts.

When I'm finally FI, I'm totally inventing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRxqY4wuTHw

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11741 on: January 15, 2016, 12:22:39 AM »
I.. I was told I could listen to music at a reasonable volume from 11 to 12..

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #11742 on: January 15, 2016, 12:48:05 AM »
I am not a republican

... but any time anyone criticizes Republicans, I sure pop out of the woodwork to protest.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:50:31 AM by Cressida »

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11743 on: January 15, 2016, 01:19:24 AM »
I am not a republican

... but any time anyone criticizes Republicans, I sure pop out of the woodwork to protest.

Because I'm contrary, and really don't like seeing such strong bias go unchallenged. On this forum, the assumptions that go unchallenged lean heavily toward the left of the political spectrum.  I have often argued against unfair bias against Democrats on particularly right leaning forums also, such as Red State.  It's possible I might have an unhealthy compulsion that manifests in this way, but you only see side of me on this forum.  Perhaps it's the academic in me, as I come from a generation where a civil disagreement was considered a healthy form of public discourse, and the ability to argue either side of an issue was a feature of a skilled debater.  Just accepting the unspoken premises of MishMash's story would be easy, but I've never been one for the easy way.  I suppose that has a lot to do with why I keep getting banned from discussion forums.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #11744 on: January 15, 2016, 01:52:08 AM »
I've never been one for the easy way.  I suppose that has a lot to do with why I keep getting banned from discussion forums.

I'm sure that's the reason.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #11745 on: January 15, 2016, 04:06:19 AM »
Ooh,  I've just moved office and got one already! One of the girls ~25yrs was saying she's giving up booze for 'dry January'. She said she was going to donate the money she would have spent on alcohol to Cancer Research, which I thought was cool - then she said it would be £200!
That's like my half of the mortgage!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11746 on: January 15, 2016, 04:47:40 AM »
Ooh,  I've just moved office and got one already! One of the girls ~25yrs was saying she's giving up booze for 'dry January'. She said she was going to donate the money she would have spent on alcohol to Cancer Research, which I thought was cool - then she said it would be £200!
That's like my half of the mortgage!

That sounds like a cheap mortgage to me. Well done!

£200 is about $290, right? Sounds about par for the course, assuming that she goes out to a club instead of a pub, Friday and Saturday, 4 weeks a month. Figure about $10 a drink, 4 drinks a night...

Or if she is into wine, that could be done in 10 bottles very easily as well.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11747 on: January 15, 2016, 06:16:17 AM »
One of the women in my office, also ~25, observed a couple of weeks ago that she never had to pay for drinks in clubs, "because I'm a girl." Not sure that really counts as mustachian though.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11748 on: January 15, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »
I am not a republican

Maybe he takes his own advice and has friends that are Republicans, so he's sensitive to the all-too-common assertions that all Republicans are racist, and being racist is the only reason somebody would be a Republican.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11749 on: January 15, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »
I.. I was told I could listen to music at a reasonable volume from 9 to 11
FTFY

I am not a republican
Maybe he takes his own advice and has friends that are Republicans, so he's sensitive to the all-too-common assertions that all Republicans are racist, and being racist is the only reason somebody would be a Republican.
I've struggled to maintain a balanced ratio in the last decade because of the hard-right turn within the GOP*, but I understand exactly what MoonShadow is saying above. I too am sensitive to any trend toward excessive self-confirmation within a group, and I like to play devil's advocate when all the comments on a topic seem to lean the same way - not just in politics, but on any subject.

Example: I will argue that the Maine governor's recent statements are nearly impossible to explain without racist intent, but can and will explain how Justice Scalia's even more widely criticized remarks could be explained in context without it; meanwhile, most people hold identical party-line stances on both, indicating a lack of interest in details and critical thinking that genuinely distresses me. We don't have to agree on everything, but I want you to think it through.

*yes, politics in general is more polarized, but actual stances have moved more to the fringe among right-wing members of Congress (and their supporters) than left; this is supported and even quantified by research data.