Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253331 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9650 on: August 03, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
He always comes in with dunkin donuts coffee each morning, buys lunch(every day) and orders takeouts everynight because he says since it's only him and his wife he doesn't want to throw out extras.. He also seems to go to expensive restuarants in NYC every weekend or so and brags about the experience.
But he needs all those things to compensate for the stress of his job. Duh ;)
Don't get how a DINK who's probably in his 50's isn't ready to retire. SMH @ DINKS
What's wrong with DINKs? I'm a DINK. But I'll be goofing off by ~40. Mostly by, you know, not being quite such a dumbass.
The funny part is, I did everything wrong for over a decade and only got serious about FIRE a couple of years ago.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9651 on: August 03, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »
What's wrong with DINKs? I'm a DINK. But I'll be goofing off by ~40. Mostly by, you know, not being quite such a dumbass.
That's the point if there are two paychecks and no expensive-rug rats you should be able to save one of the pay checks without too much hardship

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9652 on: August 03, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
That's the point if there are two paychecks and no expensive-rug rats you should be able to save one of the pay checks without too much hardship

That still doesn't explain why aristotle hates all DINKs. By your logic, aristotle shouldn't hate zephyr911, but zephyr911 is a DINK. so by aristotle's previous statement, aristotle hates zephyr911.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9653 on: August 03, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I make twice what DW does and we're getting close to living off her paycheck.
My objection was only to the phrasing, which seems to lump all DINKs in with the "dumbasses who blow incredible financial opportunities" crowd. There are financial idiots both in AND out of the DINK category.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:10:15 AM by zephyr911 »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9654 on: August 03, 2015, 11:26:59 AM »

That still doesn't explain why aristotle hates all DINKs. By your logic, aristotle shouldn't hate zephyr911, but zephyr911 is a DINK. so by aristotle's previous statement, aristotle hates zephyr911.
In his defense, I don't think he *hates* DINKs, and I think he probably meant "DINKs who can't retire early because of poor financial habits."

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #9655 on: August 03, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
Uh... What's a DINK?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9656 on: August 03, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »

In his defense, I don't think he *hates* DINKs, and I think he probably meant "DINKs who can't retire early because of poor financial habits."

I agree, but it drives me crazy when people write statements that mean everybody in group X behaves in a certain way, especially when that is written to disparage X. It drives me even more crazy when what precedes it is ONE example of somebody from X.

Uh... What's a DINK?
Dual income no kids.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9657 on: August 03, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »
Uh... What's a DINK?
These assholes, basically:

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9658 on: August 03, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
Uh... What's a DINK?
These assholes, basically:

Thats some pretty funny stuff.

The power lines into my company's building have a lot of issues; we've lost power a few times in the short time I've worked here.  The power company won't replace the entire run from the transformer into the building, so we have to deal with them replacing small chunks every time the lane goes out.  They're under ground cables, not entirely sure what the issue is there...

Anyways, this time the phase that runs the A/C unit went down.  It is maybe 80F in here, tops.  Today I'm finding out who lives a pampered air-conditioned lifestyle.  People are leaving to work from home to "escape the heat", even after the company rolled in oscillating fans and a free-standing A/C.

I'd take Just about any excuse, reasonable or unreasonable, to go home from work early, so I wouldn't judge those people. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9659 on: August 03, 2015, 12:10:12 PM »
The power lines into my company's building have a lot of issues; we've lost power a few times in the short time I've worked here.  The power company won't replace the entire run from the transformer into the building, so we have to deal with them replacing small chunks every time the lane goes out.  They're under ground cables, not entirely sure what the issue is there...

Anyways, this time the phase that runs the A/C unit went down.  It is maybe 80F in here, tops.  Today I'm finding out who lives a pampered air-conditioned lifestyle.  People are leaving to work from home to "escape the heat", even after the company rolled in oscillating fans and a free-standing A/C.

Depending on the humidity that would be me. If I'm not outside, even with fans, 80 is miserable for me. But I am comfortable without pants down to around 60*, so I'm probably an outlier.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9660 on: August 03, 2015, 12:35:26 PM »

My roommate would be on that list. Even better is I'm on the opposite side. We've compromised by setting the A/C at 75 and me sitting with an afghan (yes, a blanket, in the middle of summer), and not using the A/C as much as possible because the dryness irritates my sinuses.

She insists that she can't sleep if it's 80. She insists that she can't sleep without covers. She insists that she can't sleep with just a sheet. She also insists that she can't sleep anywhere other than her bed, never mind that it's 15 degrees cooler in the fully finished basement. And it's her futon in the basement.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #9661 on: August 03, 2015, 12:53:16 PM »

My roommate would be on that list. Even better is I'm on the opposite side. We've compromised by setting the A/C at 75 and me sitting with an afghan (yes, a blanket, in the middle of summer), and not using the A/C as much as possible because the dryness irritates my sinuses.

She insists that she can't sleep if it's 80. She insists that she can't sleep without covers. She insists that she can't sleep with just a sheet. She also insists that she can't sleep anywhere other than her bed, never mind that it's 15 degrees cooler in the fully finished basement. And it's her futon in the basement.

sounds like me. i need a blanket to fall asleep. a sheet is not heavy enough. I think its more about the weight than anything else, which there are plenty of studies proving a link between weight on a body and relaxation. and i use the A/C. i also wouldn't want to sleep in a basement when I pay for a bedroom. and im willing to pay for my A/C. our bill is like 40 a month with five A/Cs.

sounds like c cold mist humidifier would be a great compromise

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #9662 on: August 03, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »

Sounds like it's time to dump the complainypants roommate...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9663 on: August 03, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »

I'd leave because of the fans. I cannot handle air blowing on me.

And 80 degrees at home is comfortable, until I got pregnant, that was where we set our A/C; 80 degrees at work is uncomfortable- 77 makes a world of difference. I wear shorts and a tank top and am barefoot at home.  I can't dress like that at work.  So I can understand "escape the heat".

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #9664 on: August 03, 2015, 12:59:58 PM »

that's also an option, but i think "complainypants"  gets used way too often to just refer to someone who doesn't agree with you.

doesn't sound like the room mate complains about the bill to keep it the A/C. is it really complaining to like things a certain way and ask for it? it also seems like a compromise has been established.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9665 on: August 03, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »

that's also an option, but i think "complainypants"  gets used way too often to just refer to someone who doesn't agree with you.

doesn't sound like the room mate complains about the bill to keep it the A/C. is it really complaining to like things a certain way and ask for it? it also seems like a compromise has been established.

I don't pay for utilities, my roommate/landlord does, so it's his call if he wants to turn the A/C on, and I love it when he does. I find it sleeps better. Now that I'm buying a house for myself and going to be paying for utilities, I am going to learn to suck it up.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9666 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »

I'm with your coworkers.  I'm sitting here in my office in a long sleeve dress shirt, undershirt, and wool dress pants.  If it's 80* in here, I'm leaving.  I came in over the weekend to prepare for a presentation this AM, and even in my t-shirt and basketball shorts it was uncomfortable at 85* with the A/C off over the weekend (news to me they did that).  I grew up in a house without central air, nothing about that is "better". 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9667 on: August 03, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »
CW1: Did you hear so-and-so got a new truck?
CW2: Yeah, he went to the dealer to trade in his old one.
CW1: They were sitting there signing the paperwork and his wife looked out the window and said "I like that one..."
CW2: He had to buy that one too.
CW1: He's down eating at the chow hall cause he can't afford to buy lunch.

The only response I have is "top kek"

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #9668 on: August 03, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
He always comes in with dunkin donuts coffee each morning, buys lunch(every day) and orders takeouts everynight because he says since it's only him and his wife he doesn't want to throw out extras.. He also seems to go to expensive restuarants in NYC every weekend or so and brags about the experience.
But he needs all those things to compensate for the stress of his job. Duh ;)
Don't get how a DINK who's probably in his 50's isn't ready to retire. SMH @ DINKS
The funny part is, I did everything wrong for over a decade and only got serious about FIRE a couple of years ago.

Great, now we have DINKs who are getting offended. Lighten up Francis.

Maybe the proper extrapolation (which rarely exists) is that he is shaking his head at those in their 50s and not retired, which would be confusing to a card carrying MMM follower.

We had about 85 at my desk today. We were not happy. Lots of other areas were nice and cool though, so one could beat the heat by taking  the laptop elsewhere. Lucky that we are 99% mobile in my area.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #9669 on: August 03, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »
Getting tired of explaining mustachianism to coworkers who have no clue ... am giving up... last person I mentioned retiring early to had just finished talking about her upcoming wedding $30,000 and counting ... ARGH ... wtf ...

I just want to get my ducks in a row so that I don't have to deal with these people anymore lol.... :)

One more debt till shovelling money into savings starts ... CAN"T WAIT!!!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9670 on: August 03, 2015, 08:13:42 PM »
Getting tired of explaining mustachianism to coworkers who have no clue ... am giving up... last person I mentioned retiring early to had just finished talking about her upcoming wedding $30,000 and counting ... ARGH ... wtf ...

I just want to get my ducks in a row so that I don't have to deal with these people anymore lol.... :)

One more debt till shovelling money into savings starts ... CAN"T WAIT!!!

Stop trying to explain Mustachianism to them. I'm completely serious - some people are just too entrenched in their ways, and trying to explain it to them is just going to alienate you.

OlyFish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9671 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:11 PM »
Mine is nowhere near as bad as others (I don't really listen to other conversations). Earlier this week our work had its onsite Biometric Screening. They do it once a year for the employees who participate in the company medical plan and as an incentive those who complete the onsite biometric screening receive a $100 bonus (less taxes) in the next pay. The whole process takes 15 mins (height weight, blood pressure, pricking finger for blood to read cholesterol and other measurements). Something nice the company does to promote a healthy lifestyle. So I ask a few people if they were participating and they all said no basically saying things like "I do not have time" or "I do not feel like it". I don't know about you but for 15 minutes of my time to earn an extra $100 (less taxes) seems like a pretty good deal to me.
It sounds like they were uncomfortable telling you their real reasons, which in my case would be "my cholesterol is not my employer's business", or "I don't trust how the information will be kept safe or how it will really be used".

I've never seen a company just run out and offer "free" money - recipients are giving something up for it, in this case it is their personal health information.  Some people would consider that payment really low for the exchange.

We get a discount for our healthcare premium by completing the biometric screening and being within the guidelines. It's $1000 over the year, and I put it all into an HSA.

Overall I hate it, but I do get to go to my own PCP and submit the numbers directly to the insurance company. I honestly wouldn't get an annual check-up without being forced to get one. And I probably should go yearly with family history and all.

Our healthcare through my wife's job is like this as well. When you sign up they quote you the rates with the discounts already put in, and you get penalized for smoking, having bad biomarkers, and not taking care of them. I love it! Loss aversions is strong in most people, so setting it up so that people see it as them losing money by not being healthy is perfect.

We get $700 each, per year, tucked into the HSA as long as we do a biometric screen (height, weight, fingerprick cholesterol) and do two online modules that take about 5 minutes a piece. I do not think there is a penalty for bad scores.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9672 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:59 AM »
Friend at work today turned up today with the most spectacular handbag I'd ever seen.

Asked her how much it cost...

"Too much". Expresses her regret by saying she's going to use it every god damn day of her life.

Shall we start the count down to 10,000 posts on this thread?

~8~
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:43:43 AM by marty998 »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9673 on: August 04, 2015, 04:17:39 AM »
I don't understand how people can spend so much money on something like a handbag. If I owned anything that expensive I would probably be too worried to use it in case I left it on the bus or something.:P

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #9674 on: August 04, 2015, 06:06:12 AM »
@ducky Are we talking about this tank disguised as a civil vehicle?

Because of course what looks to be a 163 tons, 35ft long monstrosity is not enough because "I have a baby now".
Genius :)

That's the one. Except in red.  ;)

It's the right color, it matches his balance :P

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #9675 on: August 04, 2015, 07:28:38 AM »

Yes! Me, too! My husband HAS to have a fan on to go to sleep. If I feel any sort of breeze at all, I can't get to sleep and I have to tell him to move the fan. It could be 75 degrees, but if I feel air blowing, I get goosebumps and start shivering.

Uh,

~5~

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9676 on: August 04, 2015, 07:39:16 AM »

The problem with us DINKs is that the repercussions for us doing things wrong for a decade are much easier to deal with than if there are kids who have to be taken into consideration.  It's easier to downsize if we're in too big/expensive a house/apartment/condo, it's easier to move to a cheaper location without worrying about school zones, it's easier to live without a car.

In more topical news, I was speaking with the regular office cleaning person the other evening when I was working late, and found out that she's 68.  Which was shocking, because she looks 50.  She had retired several years ago, but got bored, and so took this job so she wouldn't "turn into one of those old people who just sits around and watches tv".  Not what I'm planning to do when I'm fully FI, but it explains why she's always in such a good mood.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9677 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:12 AM »
Great, now we have DINKs who are getting offended. Lighten up Francis.
Who said I was offended? I was pointing out that what was said and what was meant were probably different things. How about YOU lighten up? ;)
Maybe the proper extrapolation (which rarely exists) is that he is shaking his head at those in their 50s and not retired, which would be confusing to a card carrying MMM follower.
Emotions are much harder to extrapolate than numbers, so I've learned to start by assuming good intentions but imprecise wording (see above). My guess is the same as yours there.
We had about 85 at my desk today. We were not happy. Lots of other areas were nice and cool though, so one could beat the heat by taking the laptop elsewhere. Lucky that we are 99% mobile in my area.
My (huge) building is set around 75, but I sit in a small peninsula (so to speak) surrounded by huge windows so it gets to 80 or so with the actual onset of summer. This period is usually characterized by massive whining, but then people seem to magically acclimate and quiet down. It's an interesting illustration of powers most of them still don't know they have.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9678 on: August 04, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
The problem with us DINKs is that the repercussions for us doing things wrong for a decade are much easier to deal with than if there are kids who have to be taken into consideration.  It's easier to downsize if we're in too big/expensive a house/apartment/condo, it's easier to move to a cheaper location without worrying about school zones, it's easier to live without a car.
How is that a problem?
In more topical news, I was speaking with the regular office cleaning person the other evening when I was working late, and found out that she's 68.  Which was shocking, because she looks 50.  She had retired several years ago, but got bored, and so took this job so she wouldn't "turn into one of those old people who just sits around and watches tv".  Not what I'm planning to do when I'm fully FI, but it explains why she's always in such a good mood.
Hehe... that's pretty cool. I'd be more likely to be a barista myself, but it does take all kinds. :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9679 on: August 04, 2015, 07:57:32 AM »

We were roomies for a year in college, and are now into the 3rd year of housemates. I don't want to move, don't want to pay the rent by myself, and she can't pay the rent by herself. I'm planning on buying in a few years, at which point this will be a nonissue. Until then, we have occasional issues in the summer.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9680 on: August 04, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »
Love it!  My bucket list for retirement includes spending a few months at each of a number of lower-paid jobs (fast food, custodial, construction, etc), just for the experience.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9681 on: August 04, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
How is that a problem?

Yeah, when I read this my first thought was, "They hate us cause they ain't us?" I saw this is someone that is also childfree, part of the reason is financial and I said this way before discovering this site or considering FIRE.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9682 on: August 04, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
Yeah, when I read this my first thought was, "They hate us cause they ain't us?" I saw this is someone that is also childfree, part of the reason is financial and I said this way before discovering this site or considering FIRE.

My reason is 100% altruistic. That said, it's a nice added bonus to make a carefully considered decision not to procreate and find that the resulting profundity of resources makes strategic planning and rapid change (and recovering from mistakes) much easier.

I am guessing the "problem" is something like "DINKs can't understand or appreciate the struggles faced by parents trying to optimize their lifestyle"... which is about as universally accurate as saying all DINKs squander their unique financial advantage. I don't have to punch myself in the face to know it hurts*.

I don't give my sisters shit for their five kids and counting. I thank them for covering that front so my mom can be happy and I can focus on greater-good actions for the rest of my life, probably while *also* fostering and adopting kids when the time is right.

*nor do you need to get shot to be an effective surgeon ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9683 on: August 04, 2015, 10:27:06 AM »

*nor do you need to get shot to be an effective surgeon ;)

Are you familiar with the works of Shan Yu?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9684 on: August 04, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »

Yes! Me, too! My husband HAS to have a fan on to go to sleep. If I feel any sort of breeze at all, I can't get to sleep and I have to tell him to move the fan. It could be 75 degrees, but if I feel air blowing, I get goosebumps and start shivering.

Uh,

~5~

My wife is similar, though she can have fans blowing on her, she just doesn't like it in the middle of winter :-D  I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep without a fan running.  I've slept with a fan since I was a little kid.  I'd always have trouble sleeping at friends houses, not because of the strange environment, but because there was no fan.  I remember laying awake until the central heating turned on and I fell asleep to the soothing hum.

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9685 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »
I'm with your coworkers.  I'm sitting here in my office in a long sleeve dress shirt, undershirt, and wool dress pants.  If it's 80* in here, I'm leaving.  I came in over the weekend to prepare for a presentation this AM, and even in my t-shirt and basketball shorts it was uncomfortable at 85* with the A/C off over the weekend (news to me they did that).  I grew up in a house without central air, nothing about that is "better".
I prefer to dress in seasonally appropriate business clothing with short-sleeve dress shirts and summer-weight trousers, but most of my male coworkers seem not to understand that option is available to them. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9686 on: August 04, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »
I prefer to dress in seasonally appropriate business clothing with short-sleeve dress shirts and summer-weight trousers, but most of my male coworkers seem not to understand that option is available to them.

Unless you're in tech at our company, you would look extremely dorky with short sleave dress shirts, and you do get stereotyped. Image matters in a career.

But I completely agree with you on the summer-weight. I have lighter dress shirts too, and on Fridays and days when I don't have any meetings I wear golf shirts.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9687 on: August 04, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
No. Do tell.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9688 on: August 04, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »
In summer I swap my plain black T-shirts for plain white T-shirts.

Among the other techies I'm considered something of a fashion guru

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9689 on: August 04, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »

If everyone is dressing one way at work except for you, it could be that they are not all wrong.  I work for an old, established, large company.  The culture here is you wear long sleeves and dress pants.  The temperature is set to account for that.  You can fight it, but you won't win.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9690 on: August 04, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »

If everyone is dressing one way at work except for you, it could be that they are not all wrong.  I work for an old, established, large company.  The culture here is you wear long sleeves and dress pants.  The temperature is set to account for that.  You can fight it, but you won't win.

Or, it could be that they are.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/07/22/europe-to-america-your-love-of-air-conditioning-is-stupid/

Over air conditioning is super wasteful and using the excuse of the long-time good old boys' culture as to why the company can't progress is a lame one.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9691 on: August 04, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
No. Do tell.

A psychotic dictator who wrote sadistic crap legitimized by florid prose.

Your line was reminiscent from a different episode of the same TV series, Firefly.

Jubal Early: You ever been shot?
Simon: No.
Jubal Early: You oughta be shot. Or stabbed, lose a leg. To be a surgeon, you know? Know what kind of pain you're dealing with. They make psychiatrists get psychoanalyzed before they can get certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. That seem right to you?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #9692 on: August 04, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
At my work, the male managers wear dress shirts and ties with vests, and the male pharmacists wear dress shirts and ties with lab jackets. I think the AC is set to accommodate those groups of people. The managers have a fairly physically demanding job as well, which doesn't help.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9693 on: August 04, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
At my work, the male managers wear dress shirts and ties with vests, and the male pharmacists wear dress shirts and ties with lab jackets. I think the AC is set to accommodate those groups of people. The managers have a fairly physically demanding job as well, which doesn't help.

Probably it is set based on what's generally comfortable for men in suits.

" Their study, published Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change, says that most office buildings set temperatures based on a decades-old formula that uses the metabolic rates of men......
Researchers found the women’s average metabolic rate was 20 to 32 percent lower than rates in the standard chart used to set building temperature."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/science/chilly-at-work-a-decades-old-formula-may-be-to-blame.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:49:44 PM by Emilyngh »

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9694 on: August 04, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »
I don't think the fact that, on average, Americans overuse air conditioning can possibly be up for debate.
I travel a lot for work and every time I enter in a hotel room it's like I open the fridge door.
I see many girls in offices with HEATERS.
In the summer.

But, short sleeve shirts should be a constitutional crime against style, possibly punishable by death.
Wear a polo.

Sorry, my Italian genes obliged me to say this.

GFPchicken

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9695 on: August 04, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
Cloth isn't allowed in my building

How is cloth not allowed?

, but when I priced it out, I figured it would be about a wash for the first child and you'd start coming out ahead with your second and any subsequent children.

Yes, fitted cloth diapers only win with the second child, because they cost a whole lot more than you would expect.

No need to buy fitteds though. Prefolds with a snappi work just as well and are heaps cheaper, so you come out ahead even on the first child.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9696 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:25 PM »
I don't think the fact that, on average, Americans overuse air conditioning can possibly be up for debate.
I travel a lot for work and every time I enter in a hotel room it's like I open the fridge door.
In the summer.

It's even worse than it sounds.  I've installed many an HVAC control system that included a 'tempering system' in the ductwork near an office.  This is basicly an electric resistive heater in the air conditioning ductwork, that runs to keep a particular office from getting too cool while the building/floor AC chiller is running.  It made me sick to even think about how wasteful such a system is, energy wise.  IIRC, the only reason that automatic dampers couldn't be used instead is there is some law that requires a minimum air exchange, and the damper method couldn't be certain to make that regulation.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #9697 on: August 04, 2015, 09:55:04 PM »
In the summer.

Yeah, this is me. And I'm not underdressed - I also have a wool sweater on. It's totally insane. How much must businesses be wasting on completely unnecessary A/C?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9698 on: August 05, 2015, 07:20:51 AM »
But, short sleeve shirts should be a constitutional crime against style, possibly punishable by death.

Especially with a necktie.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9699 on: August 05, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »

A psychotic dictator who wrote sadistic crap legitimized by florid prose.

Your line was reminiscent from a different episode of the same TV series, Firefly.

Jubal Early: You ever been shot?
Simon: No.
Jubal Early: You oughta be shot. Or stabbed, lose a leg. To be a surgeon, you know? Know what kind of pain you're dealing with. They make psychiatrists get psychoanalyzed before they can get certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. That seem right to you?
Hehe... yeah, that is not a coincidence. <3 Firefly. I just don't remember Shan Yu.