Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252739 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7050 on: February 27, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »
So one of my bosses was complaining about having to pay $5k in extra taxes (liquidated UTMA for some house thing, not sure exactly). Apparently this means he doesn't have $5 sitting around to just pay. First thing in my head was "what, no e-fund?!" He's been to top billable hours person for the last 2 years!
You're missing a k there,... I would hope he has $5 lying around....

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7051 on: February 27, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
So one of my bosses was complaining about having to pay $5k in extra taxes (liquidated UTMA for some house thing, not sure exactly). Apparently this means he doesn't have $5 sitting around to just pay. First thing in my head was "what, no e-fund?!" He's been to top billable hours person for the last 2 years!
You're missing a k there,... I would hope he has $5 lying around....

Whoops. Yeah good catch. Still, $5k or $5. Not having one or both is bad.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7052 on: February 27, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
People around here say "Real men don't eat quiche."

My husband responds that real men choose foods that they like, and eat them.  His favorite color is purple also, and he doesn't care who knows it!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7053 on: February 27, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
Cruise doesn't work on steep hills.  Or rather, it does but . . . it's a little too exciting for me to suddenly have the engine blast out revs.

My car eats mountains for breakfast on cruise control. I fucking love the feeling when it downshifts and the supercharger spools up. At this point, I've driven most of the steepest parts of any interstates... RPM stays under 3000 and cruise never comes off, regardless of the corners and ascents.

It sounds silly, but it's fun as all hell.

My husband responds that real men choose foods that they like, and eat them.  His favorite color is purple also, and he doesn't care who knows it!

It's a joke, not something to get up in arms about. Source It's made its way into the programming world as satire, a tongue-in-cheek saying. Misinterpreting it and defending your quiche-eating and purple-loving is hilarious, and a little bit embarrassing.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7054 on: February 27, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »

A guy at work non-ironically uses a unicycle to get around places. I think he's got you beat if it ever snows here.

I know a few unicyclists who would be more likely to get to work unicycling on a snow day than most other people would driving. Unicyclists don't make excuses.  They're too badass.

Honey badger don't care!

jordanread

« Reply #7055 on: February 27, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »

It's a joke, not something to get up in arms about. Source It's made its way into the programming world as satire, a tongue-in-cheek saying. Misinterpreting it and defending your quiche-eating and purple-loving is hilarious, and a little bit embarrassing.

Oh thank god. I totally thought I would lose yet another man card since quiche is awesome. Those come in decks of 52, right?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7056 on: February 27, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »
Cruise doesn't work on steep hills.  Or rather, it does but . . . it's a little too exciting for me to suddenly have the engine blast out revs.

My car eats mountains for breakfast on cruise control. I fucking love the feeling when it downshifts and the supercharger spools up. At this point, I've driven most of the steepest parts of any interstates... RPM stays under 3000 and cruise never comes off, regardless of the corners and ascents.

It sounds silly, but it's fun as all hell.

I just ate quiche for the first time last week and it was awesome.  I just made 2 quiches last night with ham, spinache, mushrooms, and onion.  It's going to be my new obsession for the next couple months.

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #7057 on: February 27, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7058 on: February 27, 2015, 01:43:31 PM »
Ha ha, I'm well aware that the "real men eat quiche" thing is satire, but it does demonstrate in a silly way how men are pushed to act certain ways to be perceived as "manly".  My DH doesn't care about all of that crap, thank goodness!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7059 on: February 27, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
Ha ha, I'm well aware that the "real men eat quiche" thing is satire, but it does demonstrate in a silly way how men are pushed to act certain ways to be perceived as "manly".  My DH doesn't care about all of that crap, thank goodness!

If anybody needs me i'll be in the garage, hanging some sheet rock, around an engine i'm rebuilding.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7060 on: February 27, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »

If anybody needs me i'll be in the garage, hanging some sheet rock, around an engine i'm rebuilding.
Taking plenty of quiche breaks?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7061 on: February 27, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »

There is a ridiculous attitude among a lot of guys about "big truck = man."

Yeah, your manhood depends on owning (or being in debt for) a couple of tons of metal that were manufactured in a factory and that anyone can buy, including wimps and females. But a couple of tons manufactured in a different shape (Prius) is wussy. And manhood is also something that you have to insure, and you can lose it completely in a car accident. Gosh, that manliness is delicate, just like testicles.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #7062 on: February 27, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »
I guar-on-tee my 1996 Camry has taken me to more trailheads, adventures, and general awesome experiences than most of the lifted trucks I park between on base.

My new pet wtf is the YETI cooler sticker. Cool, bruh, you spent $400 on a cooler. We live in Dallas; are you knocking out a five-day rafting trip on the Elm Fork? I had a college friend who, when we were on a canoe camping trip, swam to the bottom of a river, found a cold eddy, and tied our drinks in a bag with a rope, stone, and bobber attached, and cooled them off in midsummer heat. I just want a sticker that says "MIKE".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7063 on: February 27, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »
I guar-on-tee my 1996 Camry has taken me to more trailheads, adventures, and general awesome experiences than most of the lifted trucks I park between on base.

Of course -- you need a lifted truck to get your vehicle over obstacles that real men would easily surmount using their own two feet.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7064 on: February 27, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
I had a college friend who, when we were on a canoe camping trip, swam to the bottom of a river, found a cold eddy, and tied our drinks in a bag with a rope, stone, and bobber attached, and cooled them off in midsummer heat. I just want a sticker that says "MIKE".

I might be in the market for Mike. Is he for rent? I could do with some cold drinks.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7065 on: February 28, 2015, 04:24:29 AM »
Not hiring someone because they are a smoker is clearly different from things like racism. Smoking is something you DO. You can stop. Try stopping being black, Welsh, disabled, a lesbian, whatever...

Apparently some of the top minds here at MMM think you can stop being disabled by changing your diet.

Well if you are disabled because you are overweight because you eat poorly and do not exercise then yes I would agree with them.  Unless we are talking legitimate medical barriers to having a healthy body weight.

I so clearly meant things like being blind or having one leg.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7066 on: February 28, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
A coworker today complaining that he was too full...

cw: Ugh, i'm way too stuffed.  I feel like i'm going to be sick.
me: I knew that place was expensive, but the portions seemed reasonable the last time I went (several years), why are you so full?
cw: Oh I brought leftovers for my lunch and I ate it about a half hour before ken rounded up everyone for lunch. 
me: So you ate two lunches?
cw: yea

And right before lunch they were looking over options and decided on a local burger place because it gets good reviews and none had ever been.  I warned them it was pricey so they wouldn't be shocked when it was like $10 for a burger, plus fries, plus a drink, plus tax and tip.  I think they got out of there for around $16 each for a burger and fries.  The coworker in question has a brand new baby though, and his wife is staying at home with the kid right now.  So not only is he making less than me, but he has a wife and new baby to support! And he spent $16 going out to lunch just 30 minutes after eating left overs for lunch! I can't even!
And his wife is stuck at home with the baby, without a nice lunch out with DH once in a while, too...   Gah, I used to be so jealous of that.. 

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #7067 on: February 28, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
I had a college friend who, when we were on a canoe camping trip, swam to the bottom of a river, found a cold eddy, and tied our drinks in a bag with a rope, stone, and bobber attached, and cooled them off in midsummer heat. I just want a sticker that says "MIKE".

I might be in the market for Mike. Is he for rent? I could do with some cold drinks.

Mike is happily spoken for. Made all his own furniture (he's a carpenter for fun). We all kind of chuckled at him using saws and sawhorses outside of a dormitory, but his stuff has held up for years and we are now a seeing the light.

ImproveEveryday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7068 on: February 28, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
I work at a fancy coffee shop in a high-income town. My hubby and I moved here for a sweet, permanent dream job (for him), which meant I had to leave my career behind, so I have down-graded to "barista". Whatever, its just supplemental income, so I enjoy it.

Anyways, I work with a variety of 21-35 year olds (I am 24), and it seems to me that I am the only one who GETS personal finance. Here are a few gems I have heard from my workplace.

35-year-old fella:
"I pretty much plan on working until the day I die"
"Oh yeah, I have tried the whole "6-month buffer" thing and "IRA" thing, but it never works out. They just end up getting spent."
"You shouldn't chase money. I have seen bad things happen to people who chase money"
"There is no sense in trying to invest. The stock market is going to crash again and you will lose everything anyways"

21-year-old girl:
"What? Paychecks aren't coming today? Doesn't she know that we live paycheck to paycheck!?" (I think she assumes I do too...)
"I don't have a bank account." (said proudly)
Gets trashed/high every night

22-year old fella - works 2 jobs, lives w/ parents, somehow has no money
"I just bought new tires, new headlights, and sweet new rims for my car. Ugh, I don't know how I'm gonna pay this all off..."
"I take my girlfriend out to dinner about three times a week"  (high end restaurants!)
"I think I'm going to buy a macbook with my next paycheck"

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Everyone in my workplace seriously lives from paycheck to paycheck, even though we all make $12-$15 an hour when tips are included. We might each get $20 in cash tips after a busy 6-hour shift, and most everyone will blow it on buying a fancy coffee/sandwich/dessert combo, or some beers. If only they knew how much those tips could accumulate to over a few months if deposited immediately into a jar in their closet, like I do ; )

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7069 on: February 28, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »
I work at a fancy coffee shop in a high-income town. My hubby and I moved here for a sweet, permanent dream job (for him), which meant I had to leave my career behind, so I have down-graded to "barista". Whatever, its just supplemental income, so I enjoy it.

Anyways, I work with a variety of 21-35 year olds (I am 24), and it seems to me that I am the only one who GETS personal finance. Here are a few gems I have heard from my workplace.

35-year-old fella:
"I pretty much plan on working until the day I die"
"Oh yeah, I have tried the whole "6-month buffer" thing and "IRA" thing, but it never works out. They just end up getting spent."
"You shouldn't chase money. I have seen bad things happen to people who chase money"
"There is no sense in trying to invest. The stock market is going to crash again and you will lose everything anyways"

21-year-old girl:
"What? Paychecks aren't coming today? Doesn't she know that we live paycheck to paycheck!?" (I think she assumes I do too...)
"I don't have a bank account." (said proudly)
Gets trashed/high every night

22-year old fella - works 2 jobs, lives w/ parents, somehow has no money
"I just bought new tires, new headlights, and sweet new rims for my car. Ugh, I don't know how I'm gonna pay this all off..."
"I take my girlfriend out to dinner about three times a week"  (high end restaurants!)
"I think I'm going to buy a macbook with my next paycheck"

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Everyone in my workplace seriously lives from paycheck to paycheck, even though we all make $12-$15 an hour when tips are included. We might each get $20 in cash tips after a busy 6-hour shift, and most everyone will blow it on buying a fancy coffee/sandwich/dessert combo, or some beers. If only they knew how much those tips could accumulate to over a few months if deposited immediately into a jar in their closet, like I do ; )
How does the 21 year old girl use her paychecks without a bank account? Does she go to a check cashing place or something?

ImproveEveryday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7070 on: February 28, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
How does the 21 year old girl use her paychecks without a bank account? Does she go to a check cashing place or something?
Yep. I assume so!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7071 on: February 28, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
Yep. I assume so!

You can go to whatever bank the business uses and cash them for free, to give her the benefit of the doubt... :-)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7072 on: February 28, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
One of the guys got a brand new car- but he got a good deal!  Sticker price was ~$30,000, and he haggled it down to $20-something thousand!  Fully loaded with all sorts of doodads and big engine and 4-wheel drive... all the good stuff that is soooo necessary in a car.

Also, we've been getting a "lot" of snow here lately, and yesterday the roads were a little icy.  In the parking lot at work, I saw a coworker of mine get out of this monstrous red F-series Ford (she usually drives a recent-model Honda Civic).  Upon seeing me, she exclaimed "Take that, winter!" with a big smile, like having a huge, high-off-the-ground truck was actually the safer option when driving icy roads with a max 1 inch of snow on them.  Sigh.

Yet another reason why a sports car is the practical choice. When ice closed Memphis down last week, I called in and said, "I'm sorry, my car refuses to drive in these conditions. I'm working from home."

A guy at work non-ironically uses a unicycle to get around places. I think he's got you beat if it ever snows here.

No excuses.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7073 on: February 28, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

Mike is happily spoken for. Made all his own furniture (he's a carpenter for fun). We all kind of chuckled at him using saws and sawhorses outside of a dormitory, but his stuff has held up for years and we are now a seeing the light.

Mike sounds like a Bad Motherfucker. I like Mike.

One of the guys got a brand new car- but he got a good deal!  Sticker price was ~$30,000, and he haggled it down to $20-something thousand!  Fully loaded with all sorts of doodads and big engine and 4-wheel drive... all the good stuff that is soooo necessary in a car.

Also, we've been getting a "lot" of snow here lately, and yesterday the roads were a little icy.  In the parking lot at work, I saw a coworker of mine get out of this monstrous red F-series Ford (she usually drives a recent-model Honda Civic).  Upon seeing me, she exclaimed "Take that, winter!" with a big smile, like having a huge, high-off-the-ground truck was actually the safer option when driving icy roads with a max 1 inch of snow on them.  Sigh.

Yet another reason why a sports car is the practical choice. When ice closed Memphis down last week, I called in and said, "I'm sorry, my car refuses to drive in these conditions. I'm working from home."

No excuses.

That is pretty fucking hardcore. Also relevant:

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7074 on: March 01, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
On Friday at work, I ask someone how it's going. She answers she's exhausted. I'm ready to just say TGIF and be on my way, but we start chit chatting a bit more and she reminds me whe is going on a Carribean vacation on Monday so I express some excitement for her, since it sounds like she will have an opportunity to relax and not be so exhausted. But then she explains that not only is she exhausted at the point, but she is more exhausted just thinking about the Saturday she has planned. She has a manicure scheduled at 9:00 am, following by a lower leg wax and then an eye lash tint. Then, in the afternoon, she has an event to attend. She basically says she would so much rather be sleeping in than getting her nails done on Saturday morning. So I say "why don't you?" Like, really, I point out the obvious that manicures are optional. She could get one when she gets to her destination, as part of her vacation, or, you know, not get one at all. Like ever. (Which is what I do.) Her nails, admittedly, look better than mine ever have, but does it really matter? She says her nails are grubby and she wants to look her best dressing up in the evening for dinner and dancing on vacation and she can't be sure that there will be manicures on offer where she is going, etc. I just don't get the discrepancy between "I would much rather be sleeping in" (couple with already being exhausted and having, like a half dozen other commitments during the day) and the manicure being so important as to be non-negotiable. I really don't get it. It seems like such unnecessary stress and running around for so little result.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7075 on: March 01, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »

How do financial firms manage to be staffed by people with such a complete lack of financial sense?

Because that's how sales works!
Good point.  I worked with a lady who tells everyone and even believes it herself that she "used to work in finance".  From now on, I'm going to correct her every time by saying "you used to SELL financial products".  Because despite her "experience" in sales and her MBA, she has almost zero understanding of anything financial.  It astounds me every time she shares her expertise. 

Cookie

« Reply #7076 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »
Several weeks ago my boss and I discovered several people who have been paying dues to an organization when they are no longer a member the group. Today two people got back to her. Person #1 has been paying since 2011, which is about 4k!! Person #2 only for two year. Both people had no clue they had been paying dues this whole time.

I know not everyone pays attention to their money, but holy crap 4 grand!

straycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7077 on: March 02, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »
There's a "lifestyle" going on with several coworkers. Basically, they're super into fitness, and to help them achieve some goal (I think?) they take all sorts of supplements. Pre-workout, recovery, endurance, muscle support, whatever else they can think of. One guy has little containers of various powders at his desk that he mixes into the most disgusting looking drinks multiple times a day.

These people spend anywhere between 700 - 1500 a year on this crap. Yet their meals are crap - fast food, pre-processed junk, etc. If I try to suggest that a healthy, balanced diet would properly supply their bodies with everything needed, they shout me down because I don't understand.

Oh, one guy loves to play basketball but can't because he damaged his shoulder. Another coworker has severe back problems -she can't sit all day often and will stand up to work. Why are they exercising so hard they "need" these supplements?

I work for a company that makes several brands of these supplements! I just started in December. Ours are 'good' i.e. science-backed and major research done, QA etc. (there are several low-quality brands out there). I would NEVER EVER pay for them. I cannot believe the prices charged for this stuff! We get it free and I do use a couple of things, like basic protein powder. Some of it is scary - like the pre-workouts always have warnings for your heart! Some of the people here have their cubicles full of products. Most of the products don't just look disgusting, they are disgusting! (shhh).

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #7078 on: March 02, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
Today around lunch I hear my co-worker making a call to a nail salon to book an appointment for a gel manicure and a pedicure. She makes the appointment, hangs up, then says:

CW: Well you know, I am going to Ecuador on vacation next week, and I can't go with ugly looking nails! It just can't be done.
CW: Oh also! I just bought a new carry-on bag. The old one was way too small.

Note-This is a carry-on bag she impulse bought while traveling on a work trip last August, because she saw it and decided she needed a new one then. Apparently it's lifetime is only 6 months...although I'm sure it still looks brand new.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #7079 on: March 02, 2015, 12:54:20 PM »
My dad's still active duty Army, and bikes to work every day.  He has sent me pictures of his bike parked in his designated parking spot, lol.  Also, they have a policy where before holiday weekends, they have their cars safety inspected.  When the guys approach my dad in a panic because they haven't inspected his car yet, he just laughs and offers to let them inspect his helmet and biking gear.

Your dad sounds awesome! 

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #7080 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:31 PM »
On Friday at work, I ask someone how it's going. She answers she's exhausted. I'm ready to just say TGIF and be on my way, but we start chit chatting a bit more and she reminds me whe is going on a Carribean vacation on Monday so I express some excitement for her, since it sounds like she will have an opportunity to relax and not be so exhausted. But then she explains that not only is she exhausted at the point, but she is more exhausted just thinking about the Saturday she has planned. She has a manicure scheduled at 9:00 am, following by a lower leg wax and then an eye lash tint. Then, in the afternoon, she has an event to attend. She basically says she would so much rather be sleeping in than getting her nails done on Saturday morning. So I say "why don't you?" Like, really, I point out the obvious that manicures are optional. She could get one when she gets to her destination, as part of her vacation, or, you know, not get one at all. Like ever. (Which is what I do.) Her nails, admittedly, look better than mine ever have, but does it really matter? She says her nails are grubby and she wants to look her best dressing up in the evening for dinner and dancing on vacation and she can't be sure that there will be manicures on offer where she is going, etc. I just don't get the discrepancy between "I would much rather be sleeping in" (couple with already being exhausted and having, like a half dozen other commitments during the day) and the manicure being so important as to be non-negotiable. I really don't get it. It seems like such unnecessary stress and running around for so little result.

eye lash tint

eye lash tint

eye lash tint

eye lash tint

I think we found the most unnecessary personal grooming technique ever. The search is over.

Mælstrom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7081 on: March 02, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
A coworker of mine converted from contractor to full time employee last year. At the time he ignored all 401k paperwork from his previous employer. Now that taxes have rolled around he just started looking to see where all that money went. Turns out he missed the opportunity to roll over his balance so the previous employer cashed out the full account including penalty tax and sent him a check he never found. He considers this a win because now he can afford to join his college buddies for a vacation of drinking and gambling at casinos.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7082 on: March 02, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »

I think we found the most unnecessary personal grooming technique ever. The search is over.

My sister does it (at home, though) because people are really rude when your eyelashes are too blonde to see. A little black tint buys one less daily annoyance. It's lower maintenance than daily mascara and not terribly expensive when DIY'd. Have no idea what professional cost is, or how often it has to be done.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #7083 on: March 02, 2015, 06:14:47 PM »
Why the hell would anyone care if a female has blonde eyelashes, Let alone be rude about it if they notice?

What am I missing?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7084 on: March 02, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »

people are really rude when your eyelashes are too blonde to see

The fuck? Who looks at eyelashes? Why would anyone put up with people commenting on something like this if they did?

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7085 on: March 02, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »
Well I don't know, but I've heard more than one person say something to her. They tell her how sick she looks, how masculine, you name it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7086 on: March 03, 2015, 12:06:08 AM »

people are really rude when your eyelashes are too blonde to see

The fuck? Who looks at eyelashes? Why would anyone put up with people commenting on something like this if they did?

I look.

I don't necessarily comment all the time but yeah I do notice. Doesn't change the way I treat people, but good eyelashes (with an appropriate amount of make-up) are attractive.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7087 on: March 03, 2015, 03:38:47 AM »
Colleague earns $50k pa, claims their partner earns $80k pa. I listened silently today as it was explained that unless our employer agrees to a 10% pay increase they will need to find a new job as they want to move out of a share house and in with their partner but can't afford to...

If they can't make it work on $130k, I fail to see how an extra $5k before tax is going to help.

There are no children or dependants. I'd offer to help but I already know that it will be too hard and they won't be willing to give anything up.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:41:13 AM by pancakes »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7088 on: March 03, 2015, 04:06:32 AM »
Well I don't know, but I've heard more than one person say something to her. They tell her how sick she looks, how masculine, you name it.
How incredibly rude.  She needs to tell them that, not pander to their bad manners.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #7089 on: March 03, 2015, 07:41:11 AM »
A coworker of mine converted from contractor to full time employee last year. At the time he ignored all 401k paperwork from his previous employer. Now that taxes have rolled around he just started looking to see where all that money went. Turns out he missed the opportunity to roll over his balance so the previous employer cashed out the full account including penalty tax and sent him a check he never found. He considers this a win because now he can afford to join his college buddies for a vacation of drinking and gambling at casinos.

O_O. 

Lia-Aimee

• Stubble
« Reply #7090 on: March 03, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
Eyelash tint is fabulous if you're a swimmer/ sleeper-inner/parent/ lazy and like the look of mascara. I'd go for that over a manicure (or a beer) any day. Should cost around $20.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #7091 on: March 03, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »
Neighbor hired a firm to add insulation in the attic, 500$ for an additionnal R10. I told my wife "look, Steeve is smart and follows my example !" (we did it 3 years ago and the heating cost drops)

Now, he asked me to take a look at his place. I was wondering what he has to show me because, there is nothing to notice usualy, just few more inches of insulation??

The entire kitchen was removed.  E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G !!!

House is brand new from 2007 including the kitchen !!!

The look and layout were perfects !!!

They just consider the kitchen was...outdated & scrap...

I did not asked for the cost, I was just to shocked. I assume it's at least a 20k job...

They consider us lucky to be on our way to be mortgage free 4 years from now, lucky, yeah !!!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7092 on: March 03, 2015, 09:54:33 AM »

I don't necessarily comment all the time but yeah I do notice. Doesn't change the way I treat people, but good eyelashes (with an appropriate amount of make-up) are attractive.

I don't think I have ever judged someone for having naturally blonde eyelashes.  But man have I judged people for the ridiculous over amount of mascara that is being worn these days.  You do not need $32 a tube 3D mascara on to go to the gym, grocery store, or really anywhere. 

(Not that I say it outloud to the person with the ridiculous mascara.)

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #7093 on: March 03, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »

I don't think I have ever judged someone for having naturally blonde eyelashes.  But man have I judged people for the ridiculous over amount of mascara that is being worn these days.  You do not need $32 a tube 3D mascara on to go to the gym, grocery store, or really anywhere. 

(Not that I say it outloud to the person with the ridiculous mascara.)

I'm not sure I've ever NOTICED the color of anyone's eyelashes.

My wife's birthday was about a month ago, and someone (probably one of her students' parents) gave her a $15 Sephora gift card. She'd never even been in a Sephora store before, but since she needed new eyeliner decided we'd make a rare trek to the mall so she could use the gift card. And promptly discovered that almost NOTHING in that store is under $15. We spent like 15-20 minutes in the store as she looked around for ANYTHING that she had a use for that was under the value of the gift card (or at least near it), spending the entire time voicing her disbelief at why anyone would spend $40+ on eyeliner when she could get essentially the same thing at the grocery store for $5.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7094 on: March 03, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
My poster child un mustachian co worker quit.  On her way out she told me this job is offering her 20k a year more and "now maybe we won't be living hand to mouth", she told me 3 weeks ago their household income is 225k according to their taxes.  225k....and they were living hand to mouth.  In her next sentence she talked about the new Volvo she wanted, when she' going to be using the Metro to go work.  Oh, and it's JUST her and her husband and a dog...no kids.

On a second note, one of our salesguys is here in the office today (he's stationed in another state), I hate this guy beyond all level of hatred that is normal.  No one in the office really likes him and our CEO calls him the man child behind his back.

Man Child (MC) to me:  Guess what?!?!  I'm buying a house, a pit bull, and an engagement ring this year!

Me:  Congrats on the house and fiance, you excited?

MC:  Well, it's a lot of responsibility, I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I close next week, sold all my toys for the down payment (yay?) so I guess I have to be.

Me:  If you aren't ready, then why are you buying?

MC:  Well, I figured it's time to be more responsible (he's 37), but really I can't keep ANYTHING for a long time, I've had 10 cars in the last 3 years, 4 motorcycles and a boat.  Plus I don't know how to fix anything so that can get costly.  Plus it's going to run me 700 bucks a month for my condo fees.

Me:  Yea, it can, you have to be prepared for it.  But a house doesn't make you an automatic adult ya know (and thinking holy shit 700 a month in condo fees!)

MC:  Yea, that's why I'm getting engaged!

Me:  Wait, you're getting married so that people will think you more of an adult?  Do you love her?

MC:  Well, she puts up with my shit, isn't that what marriage is about?

Me:  It's a part of it, but what about all the other parts like you putting up with her shit, or you not whoring around on her (he routinely does this), or what happens if she gets ill, or fat or whatever, are you still going to want to be with her?  You need to decide that or your divorce is going to be insane!

MC:  Meh, I'll figure the divorce part out later if she does pull those things, I'm broke so it's not like she'll get anything anyway

Me:  You know that pitbull is going to cost you in the way of homeowners insurance right?

MC:  Oh, I didn't know a dog could change your rates!  Would it effect me getting another car loan too?  My broker told me to not get a car loan until after I closed for some reason, not sure why

Me *blink* *blink*, oh crap I forgot this meeting I have to go to...cya!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #7095 on: March 03, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »

On a second note, one of our salesguys is here in the office today (he's stationed in another state), I hate this guy beyond all level of hatred that is normal.  No one in the office really likes him and our CEO calls him the man child behind his back.

Man Child (MC) to me:  Guess what?!?!  I'm buying a house, a pit bull, and an engagement ring this year!

Me:  Congrats on the house and fiance, you excited?

I would have been tempted to ask "Did the pit bull say yes?"

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #7096 on: March 03, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »
I nearly choked on my lunch (leftovers) today as my newest, young CW sat down and happily exclaimed that she'd finally broken down and bought a new phone.  She's going from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 6.  Then she explained that to keep her "unlimited data and texting" that she's had with her provider (not AT&T), she wasn't able to upgrade her phone, she had to buy the new phone outright - for $800!  Holy mother of pearl!  $800 for a new phone when her old phone worked fine, it was just getting older?  And shes's excited?  Wow...

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #7097 on: March 03, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »

I've been described as masculine looking by other women at work, but more for the whole Y chromosome thing than the tint of my eyelashes.

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #7098 on: March 03, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
Some insurers won't even insure you if you own certain breeds like a pit bull. Risks are deemed too high.

Mike

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7099 on: March 03, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »

I've been described as masculine looking by other women at work, but more for the whole Y chromosome thing than the tint of my eyelashes.

I don't get it... Do men have less pigment in their eyelashes?,!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!