Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252872 times)

RidetheRain

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16350 on: January 12, 2017, 12:55:01 PM »
I was hoping she was joking (she wasn't...):

My boss has a very nice office overlooking a public park that has pretty trees etc. So she has her desk facing the window so she can look out whenever she wants. It's a beautiful view. However, this causes her to face away from the door and she doesn't know when people are walking in, waiting outside, etc.

My solution: Turn the desk to face the door and use the view as an excuse to get up off my butt throughout the work day.

Her solution: Purchase motorcycle parts and have a guy (paid for by her!) come in to attach the rear-view mirrors to her desk. After knocking one off because they are awkwardly placed out the side of her desk - she bought new ones and did it again!

To make things worse they look absolutely ridiculous. There was potential for an interesting decor idea, but it really didn't work out at all.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16351 on: January 12, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
I was hoping she was joking (she wasn't...):

My boss has a very nice office overlooking a public park that has pretty trees etc. So she has her desk facing the window so she can look out whenever she wants. It's a beautiful view. However, this causes her to face away from the door and she doesn't know when people are walking in, waiting outside, etc.

My solution: Turn the desk to face the door and use the view as an excuse to get up off my butt throughout the work day.

Her solution: Purchase motorcycle parts and have a guy (paid for by her!) come in to attach the rear-view mirrors to her desk. After knocking one off because they are awkwardly placed out the side of her desk - she bought new ones and did it again!

To make things worse they look absolutely ridiculous. There was potential for an interesting decor idea, but it really didn't work out at all.

That's really cool in my book.  I'd never do that because I don't want people looking at my screen when they walk by my office. 

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #16352 on: January 12, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
I have another story, this time it's my wife contributing :-)

She's just started a new job and while she does try to bring her own lunch every day occasionally she does go out for lunch with her colleagues solely for the aspect of socializing and getting to know them, which makes sense.

Anyway, she was approached by one of her colleagues yesterday morning and asked whether or not she felt like going out to lunch later that day and how she felt about Sushi. Her response was somewhere along the lines of "Sure why not, I can't afford going out every day but it's been a while so let's do it". To which her colleague apparently responded "Yeah, I can't really afford it either but I checked my bank account on monday and realized I had a little bit of money left in my savings account, so this week I'm eating out every day!"
New twist to that story. Well, maybe not really twist, more like addendum ;)

Yesterday we've learned that abovementioned coworker has a second job, working at Starbucks on the weekends. And apparently she's not the only one, another coworker of my wife's is also serving (making?) coffee on the weekends. And they're making at least 50k from their first job.

If only they'd realize that they might be able to take their weekends off if they brought their lunches from home instead of spending $50-$70 each week...

MiserlyMiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16353 on: January 12, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »
Not "overheard at work," this was said directly to me by a co-worker (who I had previously thought was frugal) when we were discussing Christmas plans:

"There are some really cheap last-minute flights to [somewhere in the Caribbean], my wife and I are thinking of flying down tomorrow and coming back Monday or Tuesday.  And once you get there, you don't have to spend much--the resort is only $500/night!"

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16354 on: January 12, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
I spent about thirty minutes trying to get a couple of the guys to understand the difference between roth and traditional. One guy could not figure out why on their traditional 401k does't show how much taxes will be taken out when he withdrawals it n retirement. the other guy was pissed that the company match couldn't go into his roth. I tried explaining to him that his 100K salary plus what ever his wife makes as a physicians assistant probably has them in a pretty high tax bracket and he would be better off using the traditional anyway. I got "well taxes are just going to keep going up so I'll pay mine now. All them damn liberals."

Atleast they are putting money away I guess.

Hoglet121

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16355 on: January 12, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »
New colleague at work who I posted about before:

Pretty much everyone in the offce has been extolling the virues of bringing in lunch from home. One day this week he finally brought in sandwiches - and then went out to get something from the cafe because he was still hungry. Today he was back to eating out.

This morning he was putting his bottle of sparkling water in the freezer (??) when I was filling my water bottle from the cooler.

CW: I should really get into the habit of doing that but my water is sparkling.
Me: Yeah well, it's free, so I don't mind just having still water. (I don't really like sparkling water.)
CW: Well, I HOPE that you're not so impoverished that that would be a consideration.
Me: I'm not going to buy something we are provided for free.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #16356 on: January 12, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »
I made a comment today to a coworker that "at least it's not too difficult to max out an IRA, as it's only $5500...."

That was when my coworker interjected, "It's not difficult when you live within your means, like you do. Not everyone does."

She freely admitted that she and her husband intend to get their finances in order as it's a top priority, but that she's "used to the income" and that "it's hard to pull back. I'm just used to a certain level of spending, it's something I need to work on."

Her salary is close to $70k+, her husbands is $100k+. They make a lot of money, and yet admittedly, they spend it all.

She did follow it up with "You're a role model in that regard, it's something that's impressed me about you for a while." So that was awesome.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16357 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:21 PM »
Way to go! Hopefully you can be a role model to her and her husband and guide them to a better financial path.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16358 on: January 12, 2017, 11:53:12 PM »
Her salary is close to $70k+, her husbands is $100k+. They make a lot of money, and yet admittedly, they spend it all.

She did follow it up with "You're a role model in that regard, it's something that's impressed me about you for a while." So that was awesome.

;-D
Good for you. And maybe she will make the step one day. This kind of lifestyle can be made step by step.

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #16359 on: January 13, 2017, 12:16:53 AM »

I recognised your username , I remember  your travel stories on the hubb, or was it advrider..?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16360 on: January 13, 2017, 12:24:08 AM »
Me: Yeah well, it's free, so I don't mind just having still water. (I don't really like sparkling water.)
CW: Well, I HOPE that you're not so impoverished that that would be a consideration.

And this is why the MMM folk will never see eye to eye with the people we mock. The sole consideration is 'what do I want most', not what is most cost effective or what will prevent an extra thousand bottles a year going to landfill.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16361 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:59 AM »

;-D
Good for you. And maybe she will make the step one day. This kind of lifestyle can be made step by step.

Great story, let's hope they start the process.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #16362 on: January 13, 2017, 01:38:07 AM »

So, leave it a couple of days and then work:
Well, I HOPE that you're not so impoverished that you have to work over 55
into the conversation ;)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16363 on: January 13, 2017, 03:46:36 AM »
New colleague at work who I posted about before:

<...>

This morning he was putting his bottle of sparkling water in the freezer (??) when I was filling my water bottle from the cooler.

I think at my office that we even have a machine that can provide sparkling cold water for free. I still don't use it because I also prefer still water. My only requirement is that it should be cold. But the machine at work can also do that. At home I just fill my glass from the tap.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16364 on: January 13, 2017, 03:59:00 AM »
At home I just fill my glass from the tap.

*Hoglet121's co-worker looks on with pity at your impoverished existence*

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16365 on: January 13, 2017, 04:42:49 AM »
Today I saw a former co-worker who retired from the government and now works for Ford:

FCW:  Things are great, I get a company car and I get a great deal on leasing 3 Ford vehicles.  So I plan on one for myself and getting my kids each one.  I'm probably going to get my daughter a new Mustang.

NR thinks to self, and you wonder why you needed to get a high paying post government retirement job.

Talked to another friend who works at Ford it's not that great of a deal, said former co-worker is proposing to spend at least $1,000/month on the leases.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16366 on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:34 AM »
I spent about thirty minutes trying to get a couple of the guys to understand the difference between roth and traditional. One guy could not figure out why on their traditional 401k does't show how much taxes will be taken out when he withdrawals it n retirement. the other guy was pissed that the company match couldn't go into his roth. I tried explaining to him that his 100K salary plus what ever his wife makes as a physicians assistant probably has them in a pretty high tax bracket and he would be better off using the traditional anyway. I got "well taxes are just going to keep going up so I'll pay mine now. All them damn liberals."

Atleast they are putting money away I guess.

if they arent planning to FIRE they could be in an equivalent or higher tax bracket making roth make sense. over Trad plus taxable.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16367 on: January 13, 2017, 05:54:31 AM »

I've had colleagues tell me that they can't believe I let my children drink tap water.

... I can support nestle and their dubious ethics and less-tested water that comes from the same water sources as major cities use. Or I can enjoy the spring water that gushes from my taps. Wtf kind of choice is that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16368 on: January 13, 2017, 07:20:53 AM »

I think at my office that we even have a machine that can provide sparkling cold water for free. I still don't use it because I also prefer still water. My only requirement is that it should be cold. But the machine at work can also do that. At home I just fill my glass from the tap.

Our New York office has spigots that can do still or sparkling, but us Iowa peons only can still water. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16369 on: January 13, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »
I've had colleagues tell me that they can't believe I let my children drink tap water.

... I can support nestle and their dubious ethics and less-tested water that comes from the same water sources as major cities use. Or I can enjoy the spring water that gushes from my taps. Wtf kind of choice is that.

But when I am abroad in Southern Europe I buy bottled still water. Maybe I am an idiot for that, because I am sure the water is safe to drink, because it is smelling of chlorine like a swimming pool. But I don't like the smell of it. Too much chlorine smell for my taste. For that one week a year in the south, I can afford buying the cheapest brand of bottled water, just because of the smell and taste.

But I do laugh at foreigners visiting the mountains in Norway, bringing expensive water filters to filter clear mountain water.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16370 on: January 13, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
But I do laugh at foreigners visiting the mountains in Norway, bringing expensive water filters to filter clear mountain water.
  Buddy caught a nasty case of Giardia from a cold stream up in the Colorado Rockies.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16371 on: January 13, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »

Not to mention all the phtalate and other stuff seeping into the water from plastic bottles.
If you want to get cancer, at least do it with somehting thats not for free!

But at least I am not so impoverished that I have to spend extra time to get my drinking water to home, i have someone who brings it to me whenever I want!

njmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16372 on: January 13, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
A coworker said to me the other day that she and her husband spent over $1,000 on food at their house entertaining friends over the holidays.  I laughed and told her I spent $0. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16373 on: January 13, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »
A coworker said to me the other day that she and her husband spent over $1,000 on food at their house entertaining friends over the holidays.  I laughed and told her I spent $0.

You didn't eat?  Or you went somewhere else?  Grow/slaughter your own?  How does one spend $0 on food?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16374 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Did alot of bulk shopping in October... ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16375 on: January 13, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »

You didn't eat?  Or you went somewhere else?  Grow/slaughter your own?  How does one spend $0 on food?

I read that as $0 on food entertaining friends.  Not $0 on food at all.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16376 on: January 13, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »

I read that as $0 on food entertaining friends.  Not $0 on food at all.

Well then that just seems sad.  No friends or family to entertain? 

We spent about $300 because we hosted Christmas Eve for 12 people.  The way it works in our family is the two daughters (my wife being one) take turns hosting (and paying for) Christmas Eve, and the parents host (and pay for) Christmas Day dinner.  The expense gets spread around and shared.  We actually got off cheap this year due to the number of pregnant women in attendance, so the wine consumption was way down.  ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16377 on: January 13, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »

You can have people over without feeding them.  Plan for visits that aren't meal times.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16378 on: January 13, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »

You can have people over without feeding them.

I'm not even Italian and I know that's heresy. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16379 on: January 13, 2017, 12:13:55 PM »

You can have people over without feeding them.  Plan for visits that aren't meal times.

Well, I mean, I guess if you don't like the people that's alright...

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16380 on: January 13, 2017, 12:21:16 PM »

You can have people over without feeding them.

I'm not even Italian and I know that's heresy.

+1

njmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16381 on: January 13, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
Yes, we ate food during the holidays.  We didn't spend any money on food for entertaining people at our house.  Spent most of the holidays visiting our families and friends vs. entertaining at our home. 

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #16382 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:35 PM »

You can? STOP THE PRESSES!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16383 on: January 13, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Yes, we ate food during the holidays.  We didn't spend any money on food for entertaining people at our house.  Spent most of the holidays visiting our families and friends vs. entertaining at our home.

So you let someone else spend money entertaining you.  Got it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16384 on: January 13, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »

You know what, it is shocking news for some people.
We've started planning game nights to occur AFTER dinner instead of before it.  Our friends thought that was just the best idea ever, as now no one is on the hook for a big meal like they used to be.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16385 on: January 13, 2017, 02:36:18 PM »

We've started planning game nights to occur AFTER dinner instead of before it.  Our friends thought that was just the best idea ever, as now no one is on the hook for a big meal like they used to be.
Do you not put out snacks? 

My DH thinks I'm crazy and over prepare for guests.  However, I can't just have someone over without offering food (or a drink).  We are having people over this weekend in the afternoon (post-lunch), and I already have a list of food and drinks to prepare. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16386 on: January 13, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
No, we don't eat while we play- gets the games messy. 
We used to meet up, play a game, eat, then play many more games. 

Now we just do the many more games steps.  People BYOB, so I don't offer drinks, just glasses. It's the same when we go to other houses in the group.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:02:23 PM by iowajes »

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #16387 on: January 13, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »

I recognised your username , I remember  your travel stories on the hubb, or was it advrider..?

Both :) We're home now, and hammering our way towards an early retirement!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16388 on: January 13, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »

Technically legal. But when I have been on the receiving end of this, I felt rather underwelcomed. I mean, I could really have gone for a cup of tea or something.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16389 on: January 13, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »

Our New York office has spigots that can do still or sparkling, but us Iowa peons only can still water.

I unsuccessfully lobbied to install a frozen yogurt machine in our break room.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16390 on: January 13, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »

Isn't that what friends and family are for?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16391 on: January 14, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
I've been at the new job for two weeks. Both new co-workers eat out regularly. My supervisor buys breakfast every day.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16392 on: January 14, 2017, 03:04:33 PM »
Jeep people are crazy / impressive. It is common to see a $30k jeep with $30k of upgrades.

We're talking a full mudding / water setup: upgrades to the entire driveline (sealing, stronger axles, a differently behaving [and often electronically controlled] differential, huge mud tires, etc); anti-rollover bars, snorkels, high output alternators to feed all sorts of lights and winches and other electronics, yada yada.

Most of these are pavement princesses that are occasionally used to ford six inches of water, which the fucker would be able to do bone stock anyways.

They'll do twice that bone stock. I don't even think it's a reflection of any wisdom failure that I know that firsthand.

I do not get the tricking out of Jeeps. It's definitely not about performance.

I've done 12" of water in a bone stock Saturn SL1. Turns out it had good seals.

Non-moving water. Still not recommended.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16393 on: January 14, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
I've done 12" of water in a bone stock Saturn SL1. Turns out it had good seals.

Just came from a thread which was talking about making homemade stock in Instant Pots and got kind of confused which I switched to the next tab. "Sure, my Instant Pot has a good seal when I'm making stock from bones and water, but where does Saturn come into this?"

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16394 on: January 15, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »
I've been at the new job for two weeks. Both new co-workers eat out regularly. My supervisor buys breakfast every day.

Excellent, the potential for additional Wall fodder pleases me.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16395 on: January 15, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »

Technically legal. But when I have been on the receiving end of this, I felt rather underwelcomed. I mean, I could really have gone for a cup of tea or something.

I'd be happy to offer you a glass of water. That's all I have to drink at my house. I could squeeze in a bit of an orange if you really want some flavor.
 Hence game nights being BYO if you want something else.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16396 on: January 16, 2017, 01:01:14 AM »

Isn't that what friends and family are for?

I was actually kind during the last holidays visiting family. I shopped food and cooked twice at my FIL's house. The poor man is now living on his own and not so inspired making food every day. I also drove our car, spending our fuel once with my mother when visiting my brother. I guess I considered myself a safer driver.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16397 on: January 16, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »

I kind of feel like offering refreshments is a basic 'welcome to my house' courtesy.

But, y'know. Refreshments can be anything from caviar and champagne to iced tea and popcorn, I'm not fussed. I'm incapable of letting people come over without offering SOMETHING though.

Winter, or during holidays, you're likely to get an open cookie tin and an offer of hot tea or coffee. Summer, you're likely to get popcorn or fresh fruit or iced tea. None of it fantastically pricy, but I kinda feel the gesture matters.

It's also possible to welcome people for meals for not huge amounts - we had my family over for New Years. 2 courses of the 3-course meal, 9 people + child, total cost of 22$ plus the dessert my sister made. (Starter: arugula salad with pears, blackberries, and goat cheese, with white balsamic vinaigrette. Main: roasted vegetables and roasted pork loin with garlic and rosemary. And then we had leftover meat and roasted vegetables for 3 meals for the 2 of us, because we cooked the WHOLE pork loin) You do have to spend SOMETHING - like, it's not a 0$ deal - but it doesn't have to be expensive. Yay sales and cooking skills.

And then those people invite US over for dinner and that doesn't cost us anything, so I have to say it MORE than evens out in the end (since they cook way more extravagantly and don't sales-shop...) but I'd feel like a mooch if it only ever went one way.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16398 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
We never had people over during the holidays- we went to someone's house for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Both times we brought the side dishes and desserts we were asked to bring.  In both cases, making those cost no more than making our own dinner- so we were good guests without spending extra money.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16399 on: January 16, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »

This is so key. We used to have a lot of dinner parties.  Or just a lot of times we'd have friends over for dinner.  It was fun, but it was predominantly before we had kids, and certainly before the second kid, and a lot of it before I got frugal.

So. For about a year or so, my husband has been wanting to have people over for dinner and fun.  He's mentioned it many times.  I've told  him "fine, but you have to do the planning and the cooking".  I hate to be that way.  But honestly, I have a full time job.  Two kids (10 and 4), and I do the bulk of the cooking/ grocery shopping/ meal planning for our family.  I like doing it, mostly - but it is a chore nonetheless.  And I feel like I think about food ALL THE TIME:

What is on sale this week, and where?
What to do with the produce in our box.
Oh crap I clicked the wrong button, we aren't getting a box.
What to cook on the weekend so we can have leftovers.
What can we pack for our lunches, and pack for the 4 year old's lunch.
What to take to the Sunday brunch potluck
How to make sure we have enough fruits and vegetables, because it's not only just eating, but it's eating healthy and maintaining a healthy weight, esp in our late 40s.
Oh, we are running out of milk.
Dang it's Thursday and we are out of vegetables AGAIN.  So time to use my lunch break to pick up the stuff.

I'm sorry.  Brain is full.  You want to invite people over, have at it.

I have other social outlets that he does not.  It's important to him.  I'm tired.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!