Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252570 times)

Timmmy

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5550 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
Jeans are supposed to be washed?

Not for a very long time.  I'll wear a pair of blue jeans until they become either visibly dirty/stained or smell.  This could be a few days, a few weeks or longer.  I only own a few pairs of jeans.  I wear them frequently until they get ripped somewhere then they get downgraded to "use for dirty projects".  It's usually several years before they wear out at that rate.  Washing jeans after every wearing is INSANE!!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5551 on: November 25, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
Jeans should be worn until they can stand up on their own.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #5552 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:03 AM »
Last night I discovered a great indicator for when jeans need to be washed: when they've stretched to the point that my husband refers to me as "saggy britches."

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5553 on: November 25, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
During the winter, my husband actually gets mad at me when I wash his fleece-lined jeans.  "You're washing all the warmth out of them!!"  Meaning, the layer of dirt, grime, and sweat creates another layer and makes them even warmer.  LOL!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5554 on: November 25, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »
Jeans should be worn until they can stand up on their own.

If you wear them to work like I do then yes they should be washed once a week and no they can't be ripped either. Still cheaper than having to wear formal clothing regularly.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5555 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
A co-worker/friend just bought a holiday apartment in the mountains for half a million franks to be used only 5-6 weeks a year. I like her a lot and the family is certainly financially well above average, but sometimes I worry that they are not really wealthy  enough for the type of spending they engage in. The good part is that I will be able to stay there occasionally when they are not.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Liberal Arts vs. STEM Degrees
« Reply #5556 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:19 PM »
Offtopic:

Heard this one: "Well the commutes gonna be a lot longer, but it was only $100 more per month for a 3 bedroom"

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Liberal Arts vs. STEM Degrees
« Reply #5557 on: November 25, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
Offtopic:

Heard this one: "Well the commutes gonna be a lot longer, but it was only $100 more per month for a 3 bedroom"

So it all cancels out.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5558 on: November 25, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »

Offtopic:

So it all cancels out.

I lol'd.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5559 on: November 25, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »
A previous conversation revealed that one of the colleagues is fully invested in his 401k in an index that tracks our company stock.

An index that tracks one stock? What's the difference between that and investing in the shares of stock directly?

Maybe so you could buy partial shares?

I misspoke.  Rather than being an index, it's a group fund that communally holds 95% the value in company stock on behalf of all employees who bought in, and 5% in cash.  I had to ask the forums what it was because I had no idea.  Thanks to ZiziPB, I'm pretty sure it's a way to get employees to invest in the company through the 401k because there are no individual stocks in those accounts.  There is no discount or special match to buy this, so there's no financial incentive to mess with it over the other options.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5560 on: November 25, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
[dumpster fire]

Hopefully she'll wake up. My sister did after her second bankruptcy, now she's gone full-blown Dave Ramsey.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5561 on: November 25, 2014, 03:20:35 PM »
I misspoke.  Rather than being an index, it's a group fund that communally holds 95% the value in company stock on behalf of all employees who bought in, and 5% in cash.

Oh, yeah -- I used to work for a one-time member of the Fortune 500 that rhymed with "hurled bomb." ;) We had a 401K investment option just like that, but I knew enough to avoid it. Diversify, diversify, diversify....

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #5562 on: November 25, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »
Asked a coworker how his weekend was and got a long story about all the shopping he and his wife are doing for new furniture.  He's in his twenties, the only breadwinner, with two kids under 3 years old, new car and is about to move into his brand new custom built house, which I'm guessing is about 2500 ft2.  Even with young kids, his wife didn't want to move the old furniture into the new house so everything is being replaced.  /*facepalm/

I smiled and said nothing.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5563 on: November 25, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »
CW: There's supposed to be a lot of good Black Friday sales this year
Me: I think they say that every year.
CW: No, but a lot better than last year.  I'm thinking about getting a new (apple) laptop
Me:  Didn't you just get a new iPhone6 a month ago?
CW: Yeah, but this laptop is getting old
Me:  You might as well get a new car too
CW: *thinking*...*thinking*... no, I think mine's fine for now (he drives a 1 year old BMW)
Me: Okay, good luck!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5564 on: November 25, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
Not the craziest thing on here but we get paid the 15th and 30th.  There was much celebrating because the 30th is a Sunday and payroll will be deposited on the 28th.

I'm ok being paid early but it really doesn't change anything that I do or how I use that money. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5565 on: November 25, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
What makes a degree useful or not?

I don't use any of the stuff I learned in college, but in order to have my extremely cushy and well-paid job, I have to have the B.S. on my resume.  Just having the letters shows people that I was able to complete a course of study.  I don't think BS or BA would make any difference for what I do, but I could be wrong. 

I also won't hire anyone without a degree.  For any professional position.   (sorry, just a bias and I know it doesn't mean that I get higher quality people.  It's just an easy way to reduce my workload when sifting through piles of resumes)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5566 on: November 25, 2014, 09:32:30 PM »
What makes a degree useful or not?

I don't use any of the stuff I learned in college, but in order to have my extremely cushy and well-paid job, I have to have the B.S. on my resume.  Just having the letters shows people that I was able to complete a course of study.  I don't think BS or BA would make any difference for what I do, but I could be wrong. 

I also won't hire anyone without a degree.  For any professional position.   (sorry, just a bias and I know it doesn't mean that I get higher quality people.  It's just an easy way to reduce my workload when sifting through piles of resumes)

How do you define a professional position? From time to time I see job advertisements for file clerks that ask for a degree, and that seems a little crazy to me.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5567 on: November 25, 2014, 11:41:32 PM »
The Hyundai dealership nearby is having a sale (50% off MSRP), so some of the people I work with are kicking around the idea of buying one, waiting for the sale to end, then selling it. 

I feel like between having to register, insure, finding a new buyer while paying interest, and the fact that you changed the car from 'new' to 'used', there's not any profit to be made there.  And if there was, someone would already be doing it.  And if someone wanted a Hyundai they could buy a new one during the sale, so the only market is people who didn't want it new during the sale but do want it almost-new at twice the price, which is not exactly a seller's market.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5568 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »
The Hyundai dealership nearby is having a sale (50% off MSRP), so some of the people I work with are kicking around the idea of buying one, waiting for the sale to end, then selling it. 

I feel like between having to register, insure, finding a new buyer while paying interest, and the fact that you changed the car from 'new' to 'used', there's not any profit to be made there.  And if there was, someone would already be doing it.  And if someone wanted a Hyundai they could buy a new one during the sale, so the only market is people who didn't want it new during the sale but do want it almost-new at twice the price, which is not exactly a seller's market.

Depending on the discount and what the used ones are selling for it may be a great deal.  you would need to evaluate it though to see if it was worth it.  I expect it.  The slightly used market is HUGE b/c people think they are getting a good deal. 

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5569 on: November 26, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »
Not the craziest thing on here but we get paid the 15th and 30th.  There was much celebrating because the 30th is a Sunday and payroll will be deposited on the 28th.

I'm ok being paid early but it really doesn't change anything that I do or how I use that money.

Ha I get paid on the 15th and end as well... I didnt even notice that we got paid early...  All my money comes in... all my money gets transfered where it needs to go via electronics funds... so pay day doesnt really matter to me. 

I will enjoy the complaining because the 15th is on a monday this time and they had to wait two extra days now...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache

Ms. Peachfuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5571 on: November 26, 2014, 09:04:37 AM »
Jeans are supposed to be washed?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/canadian-student-josh-le-year-washing-jeans/story?id=12722442

Haha, I worked with this guy. He was certainly a much snappier dresser after he finished that experiment.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5573 on: November 26, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5574 on: November 26, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »

I actually had a friend who would buy loss-leader new vehicles, which were usually base model, dress them up with a few things like a CD player, pinstriping (this was the '90's), maybe alloy wheels, and flip them for a few thousand in profit.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5575 on: November 26, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »
Wait a second, are you telling me there are places where you can truly buy a car for 50% off the retail price? As in, I can walk in with $7,372.50 and walk out with a brand new Hyundai Accent?

Where do you live and can I crash on your couch for the night?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5576 on: November 26, 2014, 12:58:15 PM »
Outside my apartment building (two 12 story buildings), there's a food truck a couple of times a week serving people food. I see people buying food at it. It's like loosing the keys between 1,3,5,7, and 9. Just can't even...

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5577 on: November 26, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »
Outside my apartment building (two 12 story buildings), there's a food truck a couple of times a week serving people food. I see people buying food at it. It's like loosing the keys between 1,3,5,7, and 9. Just can't even...

Curse you for making me spend a long time thinking about this, trying to figure out what it means, only to discover it's a joke!

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5578 on: November 26, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
Wait a second, are you telling me there are places where you can truly buy a car for 50% off the retail price? As in, I can walk in with $7,372.50 and walk out with a brand new Hyundai Accent?

It looks like a really good deal at first glance, but there's fine print (of course).  The cheapest one requires a "qualifying trade-in," a bunch of the discounts are rebates that not everyone will qualify for, there's something called a "valued owner coupon".   A lot of it doesn't even make sense.  The ads all have some figure like "$39 per month" and I cannot figure out where this number is coming from.  Someone look at it for me. http://www.centennialhyundailasvegas.com/

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5579 on: November 26, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
I can't figure it out. I'm a finance guy, and there's no way I can get the monthly payment into the range they're talking about. I did notice the 36 month lease in the fine print on a few of them, but that doesn't make sense either.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5580 on: November 26, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »

It looks like a really good deal at first glance, but there's fine print (of course).  The cheapest one requires a "qualifying trade-in," a bunch of the discounts are rebates that not everyone will qualify for, there's something called a "valued owner coupon".   A lot of it doesn't even make sense.  The ads all have some figure like "$39 per month" and I cannot figure out where this number is coming from.  Someone look at it for me. http://www.centennialhyundailasvegas.com/

I can't figure it out. I'm a finance guy, and there's no way I can get the monthly payment into the range they're talking about. I did notice the 36 month lease in the fine print on a few of them, but that doesn't make sense either.

$8,974 - 20% down payment = $7,179. Then you just need to finance that amount at 0.9% interest for 198 months to get $39 per month... Yeah, I highly doubt that's what they're doing.

As a side note, if you remove the $4,000 trade in and compare to the cheapest Accent MSRP ($14,645) that you could be buying instead of their $18,075 MSRP model then you're really only getting 11% off. Not such an awesome deal that the 50% sounds like.

There's a food truck that parks near my work. We've even received company e-mails reminding us to go support them. Uh, no thanks.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #5581 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »

$8,974 - 20% down payment = $7,179. Then you just need to finance that amount at 0.9% interest for 198 months to get $39 per month... Yeah, I highly doubt that's what they're doing.

As a side note, if you remove the $4,000 trade in and compare to the cheapest Accent MSRP ($14,645) that you could be buying instead of their $18,075 MSRP model then you're really only getting 11% off. Not such an awesome deal that the 50% sounds like.

There's a food truck that parks near my work. We've even received company e-mails reminding us to go support them. Uh, no thanks.

might be that you have to have a trade in of a certain predetermined value.  Or the payment schedule includes a balloon payment - or both...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5582 on: November 27, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
I have a wonderful marriage with a husband who supports me in my desire to be a stay at home mother to many children. I would not be happy married to someone who didn't find that important and valuable. If my husband was unable to earn enough to support a large family, he wasn't a good partner for me, though he might be for someone else.
Sorry to stay OT, but I think the interesting thing about all of this is that for decades, this was the norm.

I mean, there were decades when most women were SAHMs, and finding a  husband to support them was important (whether it be "in style" or "just barely").
Of course now that women can have their OWN careers, it's wrong to choose a husband with that as a consideration?

I dunno, I have to admit that my recent experience in the work force has shown me that we have a LONG way to go towards equality in the work place and in pay.  So considering that, I get the point.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5583 on: November 27, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
Not heard at work but out with friends.

One leases a car and gets a new one every three years.  She considers it a fixed cost.  As long as it's under $500/month, she says that she's getting 0.9% interest on the Prius lease she has just gotten into.  So for her it's $440 a month, and $700 in interest over the course of three years but she wouldn't change a thing. She says it's under warranty and that she would lose so much time and money trying to find a mechanic to replace brakes or if something else were to go wrong with an older car.

My jaw just dropped but I couldn't say a word.  A fixed cost!  She says she'll always lease.

whiskerstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5584 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
This coming from a friend on Facebook who four years after college still hasnt found a job, got pregnant and split up, and who is absolutely milking her grandparents for money while they still slave away in their old age.

-One of her most recent ridiculousnesses on FB

"Hey friends! Went baby shopping today realized I have no room for the clothes! Now selling baby clothes from newborn to 12 months!

(Not so bad up to this point)

"And don't worry! All clothes is washed and only worn ONCE by my baby (insert generic boy name) and designer brands like baby gap, carters, okie dokie, Bonnie Jean, Ralph lauren, akademiks"

I know her grandparents very well and they frequently have shared their worry over having enough to retire and they by no means are wealthy. It saddens me to think their freedom is being sucked away by subsidizing their granddaughters life so she can post pictures of her son in a new outfit everyday. I swear she uses him like an accessory.

SporeSpawn

« Reply #5585 on: November 27, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
Heard in a family discussion.

I've always known my family understood not to spend more than they had but never really knew how to have more than they were given (meaning, no savings/investing/frugality). But one thing I never noticed: their car habits.

During Thanksgiving conversation, a family member joked about how their year-old, bought-new Honda is "already looking worn out." It was a joke but they admitted, "Oh, I'll sell it in four years. Every five years I've got to get a new one."

A brand new car every five years like clockwork. What's sad is I know this particular person and their family has FOUR cars, three of which are paid off. But they've just accepted on principal that every five years they have to renew their debt. Meanwhile, they complain about having ten more years left on their house and being unable to afford land in an area they've always adored.

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5586 on: November 27, 2014, 06:17:45 PM »
It saddens me to think their freedom is being sucked away by subsidizing their granddaughters life so she can post pictures of her son in a new outfit everyday.

I agree the situation sucks, but realistically they are the creators of their own circumstance. Why don't they just say "no"?

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #5587 on: November 27, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »

"I need to get at least a 3 bedroom, so I have space for my dog." (Single woman, early twenties.)

Dogs need their own room or 2?  I'll have to consult with my dog tonight on this... poor thing has never had his own room, much less 2 rooms.

Self-facepunch: My house came with a covered porch with a short brick wall around the perimeter.  After I adopted a dog, I decided to have windows installed and turn it into a sunroom, which would also function as a day room for the dog. The week construction started, I accepted a new job in a different city and am now renting a (not nearly so nice) house there. Guess the next owner of my old house will get to enjoy the sunroom, which has its own HVAC system.

Cabinet hardware: find what you want at a home improvement store and search for the model number on eBay. I got a decent discount that way.

Cabinets above cabinets: These can be helpful for storage of items you seldom use, but are not something I would buy if I were renovating a kitchen. Useless for items you frequently use.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #5588 on: November 27, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
Cabinets above cabinets: These can be helpful for storage of items you seldom use, but are not something I would buy if I were renovating a kitchen. Useless for items you frequently use.

They can also be useful for not having to clean the top of the cabinets.  Our old house had a shelf up there that collected dust like you wouldn't believe.  New place has extra storage, so I just don't use it and never have to worry about cleaning. :)

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5589 on: November 27, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »

My jaw just dropped but I couldn't say a word.  A fixed cost!  She says she'll always lease.

Could be worse. Way, way upthread I mentioned my coworker who replaced a couple year old car because the battery died. "It's all downhill from there."

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5590 on: November 28, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »

Could be worse. Way, way upthread I mentioned my coworker who replaced a couple year old car because the battery died. "It's all downhill from there."

This makes sence though... a $100 battery or a $30000 car.... oviously the new car has warranty, which will save her money

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5591 on: November 28, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »

This makes sence though... a $100 battery or a $30000 car.... oviously the new car has warranty, which will save her money

The next step would be to change your car when you run out of fuel or windshield/washer fluid

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5592 on: November 28, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
At my part time, variable hours, modestly paid job where we get paid weekly:

CW: What do you like to do on payday?
Me: What do you mean? Nothing special.
CW: I mean, what do you treat yourself with? It's nice to have a bit of money in the bank, isn't it? I always get myself a little something on payday.
Me (takes a deep breath and decides to go for it): I count how many more days I can afford to take off work after Christmas.
CW: Right... Yeah... (Pause.) I've found this great thing on eBay! [Shows me a listing for some film memorabilia that costs more than our entire weekly wage on a good week.]
Me:* Facepalm*

commodore perry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5593 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:45 AM »

If anyone ever needed a face punch.......

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5594 on: November 28, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »

The next step would be to change your car when you run out of fuel or windshield/washer fluid

You mean you dont?! :P

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #5595 on: November 28, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »
Chat with a co-worker [who is in her early 50's]:

Me: "I'm looking into opening another retirement account."
Co-worker: "What?" You're a thirtysomething!"
Me: "Exactly."
Co-worker: "But you're only in your 30's! How can you be worrying about retirement NOW???"
Me: *facepalm*

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #5596 on: November 28, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »

Co-worker: "But you're only in your 30's! How can you be worrying about retirement NOW???"

Her choice of words is revealing. You're not WORRIED about it. You're PLANNING for it

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5597 on: November 28, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »

No, my trigger to buy a new car is when the tire pressure is out of range. It's usualy a good sign that a car is no more reliable. I'm a kind of pragmatic you know...

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #5598 on: November 28, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »

Her choice of words is revealing. You're not WORRIED about it. You're PLANNING for it

To be honest, fear [of not being able to retire] was the initial motivator. But now that I'm planning for it, I am not actively worried :)   

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5599 on: November 28, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

No, my trigger to buy a new car is when the tire pressure is out of range. It's usualy a good sign that a car is no more reliable. I'm a kind of pragmatic you know...

Pshh you guys are all amateurs.  I just buy a new car every two months, then I don't even need to check the tire pressure/wiper fluid/etc.

It's totally not a big deal since you can just roll over the payments, and you get a great trade-in value.