Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252704 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2550 on: May 09, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
There is some surprising love of wearing suits in here for a site dedicated to eschewing material trappings and escaping from the workforce.

FWIW I don't even like wearing pants.  I plan to spend my first few years of FI wandering around in my underwear, not looking dapper but being happy.

jordanread

« Reply #2551 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »
I don't even like wearing pants.  I plan to spend my first few years of FI wandering around in my underwear, not looking dapper but being happy.

LOL. I believe that pants restrict creativity and fun.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2552 on: May 09, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »
I don't even like wearing pants.  I plan to spend my first few years of FI wandering around in my underwear, not looking dapper but being happy.

fight the pantriarchy

Target2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2553 on: May 09, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
CW: They were going to shut off my cell phone for non-payment so I went down there and took care of it and look I even upgraded to a smart phone
Me:  How much did that set you back?
CW: $545
Me:  Where on earth did you come up with the money? (she never has any money - always behind on payments, etc.)
CW: I wrote a check
Me: But you never have that kind of money in your checking account
CW: It was one of those credit card checks

Me (to myself): Only 47 more months and you are out of here.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2554 on: May 09, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
There is some surprising love of wearing suits in here for a site dedicated to eschewing material trappings and escaping from the workforce.

FWIW I don't even like wearing pants.  I plan to spend my first few years of FI wandering around in my underwear, not looking dapper but being happy.

More diaper than dapper.  Hey, why even the underwear?

I don't see the same surprise that female members here enjoy dressing nicely, whether they need to for work or not.  Don't see why dudes can't enjoy dressing up and looking good.  Just nice to have the freedom not to have to do it every day.  Maybe I'm shallow, but I get a little boost from getting dressed up and wearing my nice clothes for a special occasion.  It got kind of depressing when I went through a stretch where I never had a reason to wear anything nicer than jeans and a sweatshirt.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #2555 on: May 09, 2014, 11:07:46 AM »
CW: They were going to shut off my cell phone for non-payment so I went down there and took care of it and look I even upgraded to a smart phone
Me:  How much did that set you back?
CW: $545
Me:  Where on earth did you come up with the money? (she never has any money - always behind on payments, etc.)
CW: I wrote a check
Me: But you never have that kind of money in your checking account
CW: It was one of those credit card checks

Me (to myself): Only 47 more months and you are out of here.

OMG! I've only used a credit card check once, it was a few weeks ago, and it was because I had to put a downpayment on an apartment, but my ex had cleaned my accessible accounts out, and I was waiting for money to transfer. But I only did it because I HAD the money - it was just in transfer limbo. In fact yesterday I went in and paid my credit card bill in full to avoid the crazy interest rate on that stupid check.

But people seriously use those things?! I'm a bit horrified.

Makes me glad I work for a small company with a bunch of (mostly) frugal people. The owner of the company makes over $1M a year (I work in accounting, so I know this for a fact) drives a 20 year old car and lives in a little tiny fixer upper house.

jordanread

« Reply #2556 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »
fight the pantriarchy

I will definitely be using that in a sentence today.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2557 on: May 09, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
I don't see the same surprise that female members here enjoy dressing nicely, whether they need to for work or not.  Don't see why dudes can't enjoy dressing up and looking good.  Just nice to have the freedom not to have to do it every day.  Maybe I'm shallow, but I get a little boost from getting dressed up and wearing my nice clothes for a special occasion.  It got kind of depressing when I went through a stretch where I never had a reason to wear anything nicer than jeans and a sweatshirt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiweaZQ8g5U

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2558 on: May 09, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »

fight the pantriarchy

ROFL

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2559 on: May 09, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »

More diaper than dapper.  Hey, why even the underwear?

I look better naked, so don't get depressed for lack of fancy clothes.

Plus, as a hirsute man it's like I'm wearing pants all the time anyway!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2560 on: May 09, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
The production number aspect of that video is appropriate on so many levels . . .

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #2561 on: May 13, 2014, 02:16:21 AM »
Had a nice one today in class with a fellow student:

Him: There's a great trick I found with phone contracts, actually. If you call up the provider on the 23rd month to reset your contract and upgrade your phone, they'll usually give you the last month free, since they've made their money off you. You get a whole month free, plus you can sell your old phone! You can really get one over the phone providers.
Me: Wouldn't a better way to get one over them to be just to stick with your old phone?
Him: Yeah, but then you wouldn't get a new phone!
Someone else: Do you really need to upgrade from an iPhone 4S to a 5S?
Me: Yeah, I'm rocking this iPhone 3GS still, on a prepaid plan AND I got it free second-hand.
Him: Well, it's like a fashion statement. Like the reason I buy fancy clothes.
(I put my phone away in my Target jeans and adjust my op-shop shirt)

The cheapest price for the smallest iPhone 5S on Telstra's network is $77 a month, for 23 months: $1,771. That's so much money wasted, and he thinks he's saving because everybody else is paying $1,848!

Thespoof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2562 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
I have a friend that just received a $3500 tax bill. He has no money to pay for it. His girlfriend put it on her credit card because she has no money. These same two are heading to Vegas in a couple weeks for a weekend getaway - I declined to join. Jaw dropped, I just shake my head.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2563 on: May 13, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »
I have a friend that just received a $3500 tax bill. He has no money to pay for it. His girlfriend put it on her credit card because she has no money. These same two are heading to Vegas in a couple weeks for a weekend getaway - I declined to join. Jaw dropped, I just shake my head.
I look forward to hearing your update in a couple weeks when they come back about how much they spent and lost.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2564 on: May 13, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »

Him: There's a great trick I found with phone contracts, actually. If you call up the provider on the 23rd month to reset your contract and upgrade your phone, they'll usually give you the last month free, since they've made their money off you. You get a whole month free, plus you can sell your old phone! You can really get one over the phone providers.
Me: Wouldn't a better way to get one over them to be just to stick with your old phone?
Me: Yeah, I'm rocking this iPhone 3GS still, on a prepaid plan AND I got it free second-hand.

The cheapest price for the smallest iPhone 5S on Telstra's network is $77 a month, for 23 months: $1,771. That's so much money wasted, and he thinks he's saving because everybody else is paying $1,848!

I need a sarcasm font: Boy he is really sticking it to the man!

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2565 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
Have to post here because the conversation I just had is so idiotic and the other person just doesn't want to hear what I have to say (I mentioned this individual in a previous post many pages ago).

I receive this message from her this morning: "I had a breakdown last night. I need to hear about this job already because I'm trying to plan my life and I'm going to be broke pretty soon. It wasn't pretty." Sounds innocent enough, right? But the reason she's going to be broke soon is because she's living in a 2 bedroom apartment (alone) that she can't afford. She had a chance to move this winter, but opted to renew the lease and not find a roommate. She actually would have gone broke already, but got a cash gift from her grandmother that has allowed her to stay in the apartment until now.

There is a lot going on in her life right now and it's been a rough few years for her, but it's no excuse for idiotic, financially ruinous behavior. This is the second time I've tried to talk her out of that damn apartment and the associated depletion of her bank account, but her response is basically "I'll figure something out." Oy vey.

Ok. Rant over. Glad I could post here since my friend doesn't want to hear it.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #2566 on: May 13, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »

Just curious here, since you're in Australia I thought i'd get some clarification.  Does $77/month include service or is that just to buy the phone...I really hope it includes the service!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2567 on: May 13, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
[quote author=jimmymango link=topic=2540.msg290678#msg290678 But the reason she's going to be broke soon is because she's living in a 2 bedroom apartment (alone) that she can't afford.
[/quote]

Sadly, not uncommon.  Many years ago, I had a coworker with this issue who wouldn't downscale from her 2-bed apt or take in a roommate for a bit.  Always paid her rent on the 5th because her landlord would let that slide.  Didn't have the money on the 1st.  Owned a car that cost her tons of money to keep running.
She was in her 50s with no retirement savings.
I was 22-24 at the time, with some Roth IRA savings, living with roommates and no car because I took public transit.
I never understood how she thought she'd eventually retire.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #2568 on: May 13, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »

Just curious here, since you're in Australia I thought i'd get some clarification.  Does $77/month include service or is that just to buy the phone...I really hope it includes the service!

It includes the service.  Telstra is also not the cheapest provider for the iPhone (Or in general the cheapest provider particularly if you don't use your phone much, it does tend to have the best coverage though).  It looks like you can get one for $54 a month with Virgin Mobile, and $65 a month with Optus.

Telstra
http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/iphone-5s/index.htm

Virgin Mobile
http://www.virginmobile.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails/13272/5S-Space-Grey-16GB

Optus
http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobilephones/iphone/iphone5s

There are probably other perhaps cheaper plans out there.  But I can't be bothered finding them.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #2569 on: May 13, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Today.
Chatting it up with a male coworker.  He's 36, bought his first house two years ago, has a wife, a one year old and a few pets.  Not rich, he audibly complains about payments and that sort of thing.  40 mile commute each way to work. 

Him:  What kind of siding do you like on houses?
Me:   Uhh... the kind of siding they come with?  I'm more worried about insulation and air sealing.
Him:  No but seriously, don't you have a problem with Vinyl?  It looks so plastic-y and cheap.  That's what I have.
Me:  I look at the exterior of my house for perhaps thirty seconds every day, it doesn't matter much.
Him:  Not me, when I come home from work, I want to feel like I'm looking at a home I'm proud of.  I think I'm going to convert it to wood shingles.
Me:  How much will that run you?
Him:   Maybe twenty.
Me:  Thousand???
Him:  Yeah, not bad, huh.

He mistook the incredulity in my voice for shock the price was so "affordable."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2570 on: May 13, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
Today.
Chatting it up with a male coworker.  He's 36, bought his first house two years ago, has a wife, a one year old and a few pets.  Not rich, he audibly complains about payments and that sort of thing.  40 mile commute each way to work. 

Me:   Uhh... the kind of siding they come with?  I'm more worried about insulation and air sealing.
Him:  No but seriously, don't you have a problem with Vinyl?  It looks so plastic-y and cheap.  That's what I have.
Me:  I look at the exterior of my house for perhaps thirty seconds every day, it doesn't matter much.
Him:  Not me, when I come home from work, I want to feel like I'm looking at a home I'm proud of.  I think I'm going to convert it to wood shingles.

MILLION???

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #2571 on: May 14, 2014, 05:40:08 AM »
Today.

MILLION???

Hah!  Yeah, I'm not a conversational superpower - My little brain said thousand as a pc substitute for "holy shit," not because I wasn't sure what type of twenties he was talking about.

The same guy, FYI, is also considering buying a llama.  Not that I have anything against llamas, but damn, I just can't imagine that's inexpensive.
I would almost like to be his neighbor or something just so I can live close to a constant source of financial comedy.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2572 on: May 14, 2014, 07:13:58 AM »
WTF  . . . Is the llama a pet?

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #2573 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »

You got it.  I'm pretty grateful to be able to talk to this guy nearly every day... he's a gift that keeps on giving.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #2574 on: May 14, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »
Today.

I'm so happy that I'm not alone in not caring a wit for the outside of my house! It's the inner sanctum that really counts :D

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2575 on: May 14, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »

You got it.  I'm pretty grateful to be able to talk to this guy nearly every day... he's a gift that keeps on giving.

Maybe they're going to sell its wool.  Personally, I would get an alpaca instead, but that's just me.  Oh, who am I fooling?!  He doesn't sound like the urban farmer type ...

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #2576 on: May 14, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
Had to share this one.

I work in a government building, as a contractor.  Plenty of government folks in my office, all 55+, so they like to chatter about retirement.

This one guy is 62, and was talking to a woman next to my desk saying he was going to hold on for a few more years (he's retired military AND has 20+ years in the government, with a pension).  He then says  "It probably doesn't matter though, I won't live past 68".    I had to chime in.

Me: "What do you mean you won't live past 68?"
Him: "None of my family has ever lived past then, so I figure that's my time."
Me: "If you truly believe that, why aren't you retiring this very day?  You have 2 pensions, you can't be hurting for money."
Him: "... I don't know. I'm just going to hold on."

I just... have no words. And let me be clear, no one in this office is doing work that I could remotely consider "so enthralling that you'd want to never retire".

Oy.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:49:07 AM by bo_knows »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2577 on: May 14, 2014, 08:45:56 AM »

Maybe they're going to sell its wool.  Personally, I would get an alpaca instead, but that's just me.  Oh, who am I fooling?!  He doesn't sound like the urban farmer type ...

Maybe you can talk him down to starting with chickens?  Less commitment, if it goes south they are easier to clean & grill (I assume).  but a llama would give better work stories... and better mmm posts.... yeah he should stick with the llama.  lets hope llamas like to eat wooden siding.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2578 on: May 14, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »
Me: "If you truly believe that, why aren't you retiring this very day?  You have 2 pensions, you can't be hurting for money."

Nooooooo!!! That is so sad. :(((

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2579 on: May 14, 2014, 09:32:44 AM »
Had to share this one.

I work in a government building, as a contractor.  Plenty of government folks in my office, all 55+, so they like to chatter about retirement.

This one guy is 62, and was talking to a woman next to my desk saying he was going to hold on for a few more years (he's retired military AND has 20+ years in the government, with a pension).  He then says  "It probably doesn't matter though, I won't live past 68".    I had to chime in.

I just... have no words. And let me be clear, no one in this office is doing work that I could remotely consider "so enthralling that you'd want to never retire".

Oy.

He's institutionalized. Can't imagine what life is like on the "outside" because he's a lifer. He's Brooks from Shawshank Redemption: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeMux1GjA7Y

I think we all realize there are other things besides work that make us who we are, but the rest of society doesn't seem to understand your job doesn't define you. You are not your fucking khaki's.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2580 on: May 14, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »

I would seriously consider getting some grass eating animal if I buy a property with a grassy hillside area (pretty common in these parts and homeowners hire out a herd of goats once a year to clear the grass for fire control)

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #2581 on: May 14, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »

I would seriously consider getting some grass eating animal if I buy a property with a grassy hillside area (pretty common in these parts and homeowners hire out a herd of goats once a year to clear the grass for fire control)

Yeah, see, that's a well-thought-out, rational reason for getting a grazing domestic.  Then, any pet-benefits are bonus icing on the wooly beast.
That's not at all what I'm dealing with in the work situation.

BTW, I absolutely will not be talking him down to chickens -- have to see how this large-creature thing plays out.  Maybe I can convince him to get a gazelle instead.  They like being owned by people, right?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2582 on: May 14, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »

I just... have no words.

He's institutionalized. Can't imagine what life is like on the "outside" because he's a lifer. He's Brooks from Shawshank Redemption.

So sad. I know a 60?-year-old Ms. X who could retire now and do very well but when you discuss it with her it always goes like this:
Ms. X: "Yeah at this point my going into work and running the place [self-owned business] costs me more than if I just sold the building. I could get a good price for it and retire."
Me: "So you're very lucky! You SHOULD retire and enjoy yourself."
Ms. X: "I don't know what I would do. I don't like to travel, I don't like reading that much, I don't like--" [it goes on for a while until I get tired of hearing the list again]
Me: "Um, but you could relax, try out lots of new things..." [my enthusiasm for the conversation dies].
Ms. X: "I don't know! I just can't imagine it."

I may just be lazy, but I will never never understand working for money when you don't have to. Too much to do, museums to visit, languages to study, books to read, vegetables to plant, walks to take...
My mom is retired and did more while she was working than she does now.  All she does is walk the dog, go to the dog park, walk the dog around her complex.  Gods, it is the most boring life.  She used to do road trip, went on a cruise etc.  Now, walk the bloody dog.  I've offered to keep the dog so she could go on a cruise, nope.  Finally she decided to take a road trip (with the dog) to come see my daughter in August because where is living is too hot in the summer.  Maybe that will kick start here.  Hell, she does not even want to get a passport to go visit Canada while she is here. 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2583 on: May 14, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »
Talking to my mom about my contract situation (2 contracts neither are full time billing hours, but enough that I'm working till 11 at night or later).

Me: "I am hoping to convince my one client to extend the contract up to the end of the year, by doing that I should be able to negotiate a steep increase in pay"
My Mom: "Will that get you enough?"
Me: "Yes, even at the 25-30 hour mark they would like me bill at.  though they say I can bill more, I want to make sure they have funding since the current SoW isn't budgeted for the amount needed.  Of course, I'd be happy working 20 hours if the dollars were right."
My Mom: "You are too young to only work 20 hours a week."
Me: "Ummm...  No I'm not.  I could do a lot more around the house, spend time with the kids."
My Mom: "No.  you need to be working now."

Me (to myself):  "Guess I shouldn't say my plan is to stop working year round about 4 years".

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2584 on: May 14, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
Me (to myself):  "Guess I shouldn't say my plan is to stop working year round about 4 years".

Heh there are going to be some interesting conversations at enderland's family gatherings about this, someday.

My dad was joking to my younger brother about "only 35 more years to go!" the other day...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2585 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »

Heh there are going to be some interesting conversations at enderland's family gatherings about this, someday.

My dad was joking to my younger brother about "only 35 more years to go!" the other day...

I got that when my boss handed me my 10-year pin last year "Now just another 30 or 40 years and you'll be out of here!"

I'm thinking more like 14.

Valuing working for the sake of work over spending time with your kids that you can never get back is insane.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #2586 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
Talking to my mom about my contract situation (2 contracts neither are full time billing hours, but enough that I'm working till 11 at night or later).

Me: "I am hoping to convince my one client to extend the contract up to the end of the year, by doing that I should be able to negotiate a steep increase in pay"
My Mom: "Will that get you enough?"
Me: "Yes, even at the 25-30 hour mark they would like me bill at.  though they say I can bill more, I want to make sure they have funding since the current SoW isn't budgeted for the amount needed.  Of course, I'd be happy working 20 hours if the dollars were right."
My Mom: "You are too young to only work 20 hours a week."
Me: "Ummm...  No I'm not.  I could do a lot more around the house, spend time with the kids."
My Mom: "No.  you need to be working now."

I think your username fits well with the idea that we should be working more than we need to just because, especially when we have children or other significant people or interests in our lives.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2587 on: May 15, 2014, 06:15:52 AM »
I am retiring as of June 2, and I am getting a HUGE amount of pushback over the term "retire."  Since I'm 43, have a spouse who is still working, and I will continue to work about 10 hours a week on other paid work, then I am NOT retiring.  According to everyone at work and most other people.  I've started to use the word "financially independent," but what's a good verb for that?  "I'm going to become financially independent on June 2?"  That doesn't really make any sense...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2588 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:57 AM »
I am retiring as of June 2, and I am getting a HUGE amount of pushback over the term "retire."  Since I'm 43, have a spouse who is still working, and I will continue to work about 10 hours a week on other paid work, then I am NOT retiring.  According to everyone at work and most other people.  I've started to use the word "financially independent," but what's a good verb for that?  "I'm going to become financially independent on June 2?"  That doesn't really make any sense...
Congrats on the retirement!

If your peers don't like the word retirement, you could say you are about to (pick one):
- take it easy, you deserve it
- focus on your health
- question your faith and ask the hard questions
- catch up on <insert popular TV series>
- work around the house
- do charity work

Be sure to check in once a month with your local retirement police unit, however.

bluecheeze

• Stubble
« Reply #2589 on: May 15, 2014, 06:31:06 AM »

Just say you need to take some time to figure things out because you've just been FIRE'd.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2590 on: May 15, 2014, 06:35:33 AM »
"downshifting" might be a good one.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2591 on: May 15, 2014, 07:34:36 AM »
Thanks, guys!  Love them all!! 

I think I'm just being stubborn.  I think to myself, "If MMM can be retired, then so can I!!"
:-)

Be sure to check in once a month with your local retirement police unit, however.

You bet!!  LOL
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:37:26 AM by NeverWasACornflakeGirl »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2592 on: May 15, 2014, 08:02:59 AM »
Congratulations! So, now might be the time to try Frosted Flakes and see if those work better for you than the Corn Flakes did. ;)

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2593 on: May 15, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »
Congratulations! So, now might be the time to try Frosted Flakes and see if those work better for you than the Corn Flakes did. ;)

As Tori Amos said, I've always been more of a "raisin girl."  ;-)

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2594 on: May 15, 2014, 08:09:03 AM »
I'm pursuing a new career [of doing whateveh the hell I want]

What I really want to say is, "I'll be enjoying not dealing with your sh*t."  ;-)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2595 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
I'm pursuing a new career [of doing whateveh the hell I want]

What I really want to say is, "I'll be enjoying not dealing with your sh*t."  ;-)

hahahaha

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #2596 on: May 15, 2014, 08:44:33 AM »
I am getting a HUGE amount of pushback over the term "retire."

You are not retiring.  You are sabbaticalizing your life.

BTW, big congrats, I'm really happy for you!

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #2597 on: May 15, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »
BTW, I absolutely will not be talking him down to chickens -- have to see how this large-creature thing plays out.  Maybe I can convince him to get a gazelle instead.  They like being owned by people, right?

LOL. This could get really good! Almost makes working a full-time job sound fun.

I think the term "financially independent" could be off-putting to people. Kind of like saying "I have a shitload of money saved up," (which you probably do, but don't go around bragging about). If you're doing paid work for 10 hours a week, you could just say that you're cutting back or that you've decided to focus on your other paid work/contracting.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2598 on: May 15, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

As Tori Amos said, I've always been more of a "raisin girl."  ;-)

I've been wondering if you were a Tori fan or if Tori was referencing something with that term that I wasn't aware of.  Now I don't have to ask :-)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2599 on: May 15, 2014, 11:19:28 AM »

I got that when my boss handed me my 10-year pin last year "Now just another 30 or 40 years and you'll be out of here!"

I'm thinking more like 14.

Valuing working for the sake of work over spending time with your kids that you can never get back is insane.
I enjoy my work, and my daughter enjoys playing with the other kids at daycare.  What works for one person may not work for others.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!