Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252614 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7700 on: April 13, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
a good fund will have higher fees and will still earns higher total returns
How the fuck can anyone with even a passing interest in investing be so fucking ignorant?
Before I even bought my first stock in 2000, I knew that was false.
From a few weeks of casual reading.
As a college kid.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7701 on: April 13, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »
Not to get into a gender war here but IMO you could replace "normals" with "women" and "mustachians" with "men".  Flame away.
I'm not flaming you, son. I'm just very disappointed.

I want work with these people!

What if everything was spiders???
It'd beat the shit out of what I overhear. My CW's are too busy hurrdurring about dem eevul jab-killin, global-warmin-conspurracy-propergatin' liberals to disclose any hilarious financial foibles.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #7702 on: April 13, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »
It seems to me that the men are more likely to defend their past (and therefore future actions) with a 'Yeah, but', whereas women are more likely to say, "hmm, I hadn't thought of that". [...] So maybe the gender of the advice giver is important.
I don't know you so this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. But when I look at the way I act, or my observations of people of any gender, I think people respond with "Yeah, but..." when they feel attacked and "hmm, I hadn't thought of that" when they feel they're being accepted. It could be that men and women are hearing different things when you offer the "same" criticism to both of them, or that you behave differently towards men than you do women. I don't think it's anything as simple as that women accept criticism and men don't.

also, I will openly admit that most of the time, when I talk to my boyfriend about my problems, I'm really just processing my emotions out loud and I DO just want empathy and maybe a hug. like, eventually I might be ready for some constructive suggestions but sometimes I just want to get it out... and oddly if I'm really stressed out about a situation, I do tend to see advice from my boyfriend or male friends as more critical, and advice from other women as more helpful.

plus I just process thoughts and emotions really externally in general, which I think does tend to be more of a woman thing. I think more dudes tend to process that stuff internally, so if they are talking about it out loud the only reason is because they legitimately want advice. (obviously this doesn't apply to 100% of men and 100% of women but I think it's fairly common)
This is an interesting point and it's got me thinking. I don't buy for a second that dudes don't process things externally. I think maybe one difference (in my experience) is that guys tend to more explicitly tag things - "Hey, I've been mulling this one over, what do you think?" when they're asking for suggestions or "Listen to this" when they want just a sympathetic ear. SWMBO brings up problems because she wants solutions sometimes and because she wants sympathy other times, and doesn't communicate which situation it is [in a way I understand]. Other close female friends of mine make it pretty clear.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #7703 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
It'd beat the shit out of what I overhear. My CW's are too busy hurrdurring about dem eevul jab-killin, global-warmin-conspurracy-propergatin' liberals to disclose any hilarious financial foibles.
Do you work in my office? Got a few here who are so anti Obama they’d hurt themselves rather say anything positive about any policy.

Two of them are totally anti the affordable care act. And all of its provisions. We are in the process of moving a lot of work abroad and the two of them are high on the list for not being needed anymore. So they’ll need new jobs and new healthcare.  Luckily for them under the ACA their pre existing conditions will be covered. Because of ACA – and both of them have had cancer. Yet they still refuse to admit that anything in the ACA might be good because Obama started it.

What a pair of fucktards.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #7704 on: April 13, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »

Well, not exactly an answer to that question, but related...

http://what-if.xkcd.com/136/

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7705 on: April 13, 2015, 10:32:01 AM »
One of my friends just announced that she is going to start nursing school next year and to reward her self she is buying a brand new Mercedes GLA, a 30K SUV....I just left the room, I did not want to ruin her moment but wow...

Oh wow. And here I am, have been debating whether I should spend $300 to be in the Australian volleyball supporters club which will give me a ticket to every international men's and women's volleyball match in Australia this year (up to 10 matches!) plus a replica Jersey.... The men wil have two games against Brazil in my home town, and Brazil are going to be very strong next year at their home Olympics. It's not bad value given the best seats for one event go for about $85... I think I'll commit. :)

Please do. That is fantastic! I'd love to be able to watch that much volleyball.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7706 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
A visitor from another department, works with one of my coworkers is taking 2 weeks off in May for vacation. She's going to Vegas for the first week with a group of friends.

"My focus is to spend all my money. Spending money helps me relax."

I really hope she's joking, but I've never met her so have no idea.

That's funny, spending money has the opposite effect on me.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7707 on: April 13, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
It seems to me that the men are more likely to defend their past (and therefore future actions) with a 'Yeah, but', whereas women are more likely to say, "hmm, I hadn't thought of that". [...] So maybe the gender of the advice giver is important.
I don't know you so this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. But when I look at the way I act, or my observations of people of any gender, I think people respond with "Yeah, but..." when they feel attacked and "hmm, I hadn't thought of that" when they feel they're being accepted. It could be that men and women are hearing different things when you offer the "same" criticism to both of them, or that you behave differently towards men than you do women. I don't think it's anything as simple as that women accept criticism and men don't.

Yes, those are exactly my points 1) nothing is as simple as men this, women that, which is why I was providing a counter-example of how the original example wasn't true for me 2) "yeah but" is definitely a defensive response of someone who doesn't want to hear advice and 3) the gender of the advice-giver may affect the reaction of the receiver (either because of how it was delivered or interpreted). You made an important point that my style may be different depending on gender, which I hadn't considered and is very useful food for thought, thank you.

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7708 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »

Oh. My. God. Note to self: clicking on the pdf link = BAD. Like, I saw Arachnophobia in the theater bad. Only with scientific measurements. And possibly fodder for bad jokes. (Hey, how many spiders DOES it take to move an 8' hanging light fixture sideways?)...

Gockie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7709 on: April 14, 2015, 02:34:01 AM »
One of my friends just announced that she is going to start nursing school next year and to reward her self she is buying a brand new Mercedes GLA, a 30K SUV....I just left the room, I did not want to ruin her moment but wow...

Oh wow. And here I am, have been debating whether I should spend $300 to be in the Australian volleyball supporters club which will give me a ticket to every international men's and women's volleyball match in Australia this year (up to 10 matches!) plus a replica Jersey.... The men wil have two games against Brazil in my home town, and Brazil are going to be very strong next year at their home Olympics. It's not bad value given the best seats for one event go for about $85... I think I'll commit. :)

Please do. That is fantastic! I'd love to be able to watch that much volleyball.

Honestly half of my dilemma was to decide whether to be there at the events as a volunteer - its free, you can be up really close to the action and get a souvenir uniform or two, or watch matches like any normal person lol... but you have to pay for that and you get no special treatment

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #7710 on: April 14, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »

Oh. My. God. Note to self: clicking on the pdf link = BAD. Like, I saw Arachnophobia in the theater bad. Only with scientific measurements. And possibly fodder for bad jokes. (Hey, how many spiders DOES it take to move an 8' hanging light fixture sideways?)...

SO. BAD.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7711 on: April 14, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »

SO. BAD.

The waste treatment plant was a pretty awesome environment for them.  Steady influx of insects via the water/sand, warmer than the surrounding environs, limited predation, shelter from most of the elements, lots of well spaced areas to attach webbing . . . it's like some mad architect was trying to built the perfect breeding ground for spiders.  I love that the recommendation was to tell the people who work their to deal with it, and think of it as a natural wonder.  :D

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7712 on: April 14, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
Completely off topic, because not money related, but I just overheard from a conversation at the next desk:
In quick sucession:
"Do you ever wonder what it would be like if dinosaurs still existed?'
'Do you think there's someone in the world who knows all the information?'
And then the enigmatic, 'What if aliens...' which just trailed off into silence.
Slow day at the office. It's a beautiful sunny day outside. I am 100% aware of how awesome it must be to be retired.
Does my 8 year old daughter work in your office? She asks these kind of questions all day.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7713 on: April 14, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »

SO. BAD.

The waste treatment plant was a pretty awesome environment for them.  Steady influx of insects via the water/sand, warmer than the surrounding environs, limited predation, shelter from most of the elements, lots of well spaced areas to attach webbing . . . it's like some mad architect was trying to built the perfect breeding ground for spiders.  I love that the recommendation was to tell the people who work their to deal with it, and think of it as a natural wonder.  :D

I think I would RE from that place FI or not. I'm a big burly guy and it drives me crazy that I am terrified of spiders. I've jumped out of airplanes, caught a few rattlesnakes, and ran into burning buildings on my volunteer fire department. I just don't do spiders they give me the heebby jeebbys. I'm not so terrified I can't squash one with my boot but if one is crawling on me or on something I just picked up I kind of freak out for a second.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #7714 on: April 14, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »

A 30k Mercedes SUV?  I didn't think those all went together in a sentence.  So I looked it up, and yea... 31k for the base model.  That is surprising.  I figured they would cost a lot more.

30k is still insane though.....

Wait. What? I kind of understand why people buy stupid cars when they graduate from nursing/medical/{generally difficult program} but why would you buy it before you even start?

When you start nursing school the government gives you these things they call low-anes or something.  Whatever they call it, it's a big pile of free money you get when you say you'll go get more schooling.  So it's like a bonus, you can go buy a new car, or buy a new macbook air, take a vacation, eat at a fancy restaurant, get your hair and nails done up, or anything else you've always wanted but never had the cash for.  It doesn't even matter if you go to class!

^^At least that's what I imagine is going through her head.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7715 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
A visitor from another department, works with one of my coworkers is taking 2 weeks off in May for vacation. She's going to Vegas for the first week with a group of friends.

Vegas is the worst place I've ever been. It sounds perfect for her.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #7716 on: April 14, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

SO. BAD.

I think I would RE from that place FI or not. I'm a big burly guy and it drives me crazy that I am terrified of spiders. I've jumped out of airplanes, caught a few rattlesnakes, and ran into burning buildings on my volunteer fire department. I just don't do spiders they give me the heebby jeebbys. I'm not so terrified I can't squash one with my boot but if one is crawling on me or on something I just picked up I kind of freak out for a second.

So a house full of burning spiders is right out?

commodore perry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7717 on: April 14, 2015, 07:12:02 PM »

A 30k Mercedes SUV?  I didn't think those all went together in a sentence.  So I looked it up, and yea... 31k for the base model.  That is surprising.  I figured they would cost a lot more.

Wait. What? I kind of understand why people buy stupid cars when they graduate from nursing/medical/{generally difficult program} but why would you buy it before you even start?

When you start nursing school the government gives you these things they call low-anes or something.  Whatever they call it, it's a big pile of free money you get when you say you'll go get more schooling.  So it's like a bonus, you can go buy a new car, or buy a new macbook air, take a vacation, eat at a fancy restaurant, get your hair and nails done up, or anything else you've always wanted but never had the cash for.  It doesn't even matter if you go to class!

ha ha ha - that was awesome!!! :)

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7718 on: April 14, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »

I just spent two minutes trying to pronounce that word a low-ayns. Thinking what in the world is a low ayn?

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7719 on: April 14, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »

I just spent two minutes trying to pronounce that word a low-ayns. Thinking what in the world is a low ayn? Never fear, I figured it out.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7720 on: April 14, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

It isn't so bad, some cool people live here. I enjoy the city way more now that I live off the strip.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7721 on: April 14, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »

It isn't so bad, some cool people live here. I enjoy the city way more now that I live off the strip.

Umm. You live in Minnesota.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7722 on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »
I think he meant "stay" not "live."
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7723 on: April 15, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »

Umm. You live in Minnesota.

Typo, meant to say stay.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7724 on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »

SO. BAD.

I used to be similar . . . but after working as an exterminator for a while you just kinda get over it.  Familiarity really kills that 'freak out' thing.  Still not a fan of them crawling on my face though.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7725 on: April 15, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »

Is it common for people to use student loans for fun shit?
Is that a dumb question?
I never had any loans (combination of luck and doing the right things, I guess) but I literally never conceived of being able to, or wanting to, use them for anything other than actual school expenses. Maybe that's why I felt like the only broke-ass, with my ROTC scholarship and just enough hours cleaning dorm bathrooms to pay rent. I wish I could say I'd taken advantage of that massive headstart by vaulting ahead of the rest right out the gate, but I was still broke a full decade later because of dumb shit I did.
Anyway.
For real, never thought it was even possible to commit such dumbassery with student loans, even if you wanted to.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7726 on: April 15, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

Is that a dumb question?
I never had any loans (combination of luck and doing the right things, I guess) but I literally never conceived of being able to, or wanting to, use them for anything other than actual school expenses. Maybe that's why I felt like the only broke-ass, with my ROTC scholarship and just enough hours cleaning dorm bathrooms to pay rent. I wish I could say I'd taken advantage of that massive headstart by vaulting ahead of the rest right out the gate, but I was still broke a full decade later because of dumb shit I did.
Anyway.
For real, never thought it was even possible to commit such dumbassery with student loans, even if you wanted to.

I did. I lived well within my means while I was in school and spent the rest of the loans traveling Europe and Australia in the summers. But I don't regret it. But I also continued to live cheap after school and paid off those loans ASAP. And, I forget exactly why, but a lot of the loans I didn't end up having to pay back. IIRC it was something called Millennium scholarship, which paid off all but 5k/year of my loans (6 years of post secondary).

It may have been spending loans on fun shit, but it worked out in the end.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7727 on: April 15, 2015, 11:37:25 AM »

Very common. Student loans are for "living expenses" too.  Many people consider vacations (or super fancy apartments) part of standard living expenses.

And how could anyone even get through college without a Mac Book Air, an Ipad, an Iphone, and an Iwatch? ;)

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #7728 on: April 15, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »

Is that a dumb question?
Anyway.

With my college friend group, it was uncommon for people to NOT use their loan money on stupid crap.

...and that's why several of them owe six figures now.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7729 on: April 15, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »
Is that a dumb question?

Anybody that has any amount of student loans, and does any type of "fun shit" is effectively financing their fun shit with student loans.  Every dollar that you spend on pizza, beer, a car, a movie, a vacation, etc is a dollar that you had because you have a student loan.  The same is true for all other forms of debt.  Going to a movie while you have a mortgage? Effectively taking a 4% loan to finance your movie ticket.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7730 on: April 15, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »

Is that a dumb question?

Boob jobs and new cars...

The car I can understand, I'm at a rural community college. Transportation is a necessity. 

Basic finances and long term planning are not skills my classmates seem to have.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #7731 on: April 15, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
Is that a dumb question?

Anybody that has any amount of student loans, and does any type of "fun shit" is effectively financing their fun shit with student loans.  Every dollar that you spend on pizza, beer, a car, a movie, a vacation, etc is a dollar that you had because you have a student loan.  The same is true for all other forms of debt.  Going to a movie while you have a mortgage? Effectively taking a 4% loan to finance your movie ticket.

this i don't get

if i took out a loan for the mortgage and i have the house, how am i now financing my movie ticket with the 4% loan? i exchanged the house for the loan money. if you look at it like this, its a triple exchange.

we like to express that loan amount as principal plus interest. but if you do the math ahead of time and just assume the maximum amount of time. you know the exact amount owed. but to say you are financing other stuff by not paying that faster makes no sense to me. . it could maybe be an opportunity cost. but nothing more.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7732 on: April 15, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
it could maybe be an opportunity cost. but nothing more.

But that's the key.

If you have $10 that you've earned, and a mortgage, you could put that $10 towards the mortgage, saving you the 4% interest on it.

Or you could go to the movies.  By going to the movies, you're choosing to pay 4% on the $10.  Thus, in essence, your mortgage is financing that movie expenditure.

It may or may not be 100% accurate, but it's one valid way of looking at it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7733 on: April 15, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
Interesting way of looking at it, but I would distinguish between, say, borrowing $100K for tuition and borrowing $150K for tuition + lifestyle accessories. I was well out of college before I began to conceive how much of the latter actually happens.
Boggles the mind. I was dead set on not having student loans from the get-go. I'm not sure why, because I don't recall being raised to fear debt. Regardless, the idea of fucking oneself even harder than necessary just never occurred. Who are these people? Wait, I should just ask my mom... hahaha

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7734 on: April 15, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »

But that's the key.

If you have $10 that you've earned, and a mortgage, you could put that $10 towards the mortgage, saving you the 4% interest on it.

Or you could go to the movies.  By going to the movies, you're choosing to pay 4% on the $10.  Thus, in essence, your mortgage is financing that movie expenditure.

I don't have a mortgage or owe any money, so the way I see a dollar spent is that means one less dollar for me to invest, as my goal is to achieve FIRE, this means that I view spent money in terms of time added towards working.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #7735 on: April 15, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »

But that's the key.

i dont agree on how you are using opportunity cost

you either pay 10 on your mortgage or you pay 10 to go to the movies. if you pay 10 on the mortgage now,  it means no movie. if you pay for the movie now,   it means that later you have to pay 10 plus 4% for the mortgage.  you changed the timeline

I  argue that if you saw a movie later, it probably will increase in price, as well

i think we can both agree that the rate or inflation for the movie isnt the same as the APR for the mortgage but the 4% represents the opportunity to buy a house now. you didnt have the cash,  and you didnt want to wait and save up.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7736 on: April 15, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »

But that's the key.

Exactly.  Say you have 100k, and you purchase a house for 100k, and also go on a vacation that costs 100k.  You need to finance one of those things.  You either pay the house outright and finance your vacation, or you pay for the vacation outright and finance the mortgage.  What is the difference (besides the obvious technicality that the house is used as collateral in one case, and you will get different terms on the different loans)?  You have essentially purchase 200k worth of goods with 100k cash and financed the other 100k.  If you think you are not financing your vacation because you paid that bill in full while taking on 100k worth of mortgage I would say you are fooling yourself. 

Or say I make 100k/yr, and I have 100k/yr worth of expenses, and I also purchase 100k/yr worth of faberge eggs on credit.  I just financed 100k worth of faberge eggs.   What if I instead put 100% of my living expenses on a credit card and purchase 100k worth of faberge eggs with cash.  What is the difference?  Would you argue that in second scenario I was not essentially financing my 100k/yr faberge egg habit because I technically paid cash for them while charging all my other expenses?  At the end of the year I have 100k worth of debt because of those damn faberge eggs, and my bank account balance really doesn't care which expenses I technically paid in cash.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:40:12 PM by frugalnacho »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7737 on: April 15, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »

But that's the key.

Also http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7738 on: April 15, 2015, 01:37:17 PM »

But that's the key.

you either pay 10 on your mortgage or you pay 10 to go to the movies. if you pay 10 on the mortgage now,  it means no movie. if you pay for the movie now,   it means that later you have to pay 10 plus 4% for the mortgage.  you changed the timeline

I  argue that if you saw a movie later, it probably will increase in price, as well

i think we can both agree that the rate or inflation for the movie isnt the same as the APR for the mortgage but the 4% represents the opportunity to buy a house now. you didnt have the cash,  and you didnt want to wait and save up.

In essence what you are doing is transferring your $10 purchase into your mortgage.  Say you have $10 left on your mortgage balance today, and you have $10 cash.  You can either:

Pay $10 for a movie ticket and keep your $10 mortgage at 4%.
Pay your mortgage off, and then take a $10 loan at 4% to pay for your movie ticket.

Either way, if you see that movie you have a $10 loan at the end of the day, and no cash.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7739 on: April 15, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
Or to give a real life example.  At one point I loaned a friend money, and it took a long time to pay it back, because he was always broke.  But he also had no problem buying weed.  Was I buying his weed?  I felt I was.  I loan him $100 to pay is electricity bill, which he does, but also buys $100 worth of weed the next week, while not paying me back.  What's the difference if he just took my $100 and bought the weed?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7740 on: April 15, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
Or to give a real life example.  At one point I loaned a friend money, and it took a long time to pay it back, because he was always broke.  But he also had no problem buying weed.  Was I buying his weed?  I felt I was.  I loan him $100 to pay is electricity bill, which he does, but also buys $100 worth of weed the next week, while not paying me back.  What's the difference if he just took my $100 and bought the weed?

Still gots to smoke man.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7741 on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »

Still gots to smoke man.

This right here was the logic my company had. We were wholesalers of many gift products but our business really slow down during the recession so we started bringing in smoking accessories because smokers gunna smoke.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #7742 on: April 15, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »
What's the difference if he just took my $100 and bought the weed?

Because then he would probably feel obligated to share the weed with you, whereas if he used your $100 to pay for the electric bill then the weed is his, ALL HIS!!!11!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7743 on: April 15, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
I am also a woman who likes to solve problems not just complain about them, but I am thinking most women who are into this kind of MMM thing are highly likely to be similar. Make sense?

NykkiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7744 on: April 15, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »

But that's the key.

Why would the price go up? Sure, DVDs usually cost more than the price of a movie ticket but its an apples to oranges comparison. Yes, they are both fruit (or getting to view the movie) but buying it means that you get to watch it as many times as you want (barring wear and tear on discs) for the same price, unlike cinemas where you have to pay over and over.

A better comparison would be renting it. If you get it from a library or equivalent (my prefered method) it can be virtually free to completely free. For renting from a video store, the price should still be cheaper if you keep an eye on specials and borrow once its out of the new releases.

TL;DR The cost per viewing should go down, not up.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7745 on: April 15, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
Viewing the same movie now, but in the future, the price should go down (deflation).

Viewing a new release in the future, the price should go up (inflation).

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7746 on: April 16, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »
Co-worker just bought an expensive house, but has to pay final rent check on old apartment at the same time as the first mortgage payment is due.

"So they expect us to pay rent and a mortgage, like double. I don't get how they can expect that. Maybe we'll just run it up on a credit card or something".

Yikes.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7747 on: April 16, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »

But that's the key.

Why would the price go up? Sure, DVDs usually cost more than the price of a movie ticket but its an apples to oranges comparison. Yes, they are both fruit (or getting to view the movie) but buying it means that you get to watch it as many times as you want (barring wear and tear on discs) for the same price, unlike cinemas where you have to pay over and over.

A better comparison would be renting it. If you get it from a library or equivalent (my prefered method) it can be virtually free to completely free. For renting from a video store, the price should still be cheaper if you keep an eye on specials and borrow once its out of the new releases.

TL;DR The cost per viewing should go down, not up.

I don't watch many movies more than once, so if it isn't good enough to watch in the theaters I would most likely get it from the library (free), rent it at the library (50 cents a day), rent it from Redbox (1.25/day) or borrow it from a friend (free), which is way cheapter than paying $10. Of course another option is going to a second-run theater, which would be around $3.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7748 on: April 16, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
Overheard at work: $30,000 watch. My brain hurts :-( yes this persons household income is considerably higher than mine, but it would still be like me buying a 6k watch... wtf? My 12 year old $150 watch is still going strong... it felt like such a luxury at the time! I also tryed to convince people that luxury goods were for the ultra rich not cubicle jockeys like us. That we aren't  even the target market... the target market is the ultra rich, ceos, pop stars etc... don't  think anyone else agreed with me. But i have never seen myself as being in that realm :-S

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #7749 on: April 16, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »

Overheard at work: $30,000 watch. My brain hurts :-( yes this persons household income is considerably higher than mine, but it would still be like me buying a 6k watch... wtf? My 12 year old $150 watch is still going strong... it felt like such a luxury at the time! I also tryed to convince people that luxury goods were for the ultra rich not cubicle jockeys like us. That we aren't  even the target market... the target market is the ultra rich, ceos, pop stars etc... don't  think anyone else agreed with me. But i have never seen myself as being in that realm :-S

If only the ultra rich purchased these things the companies would go under. The Millionaire Next Door touched on this and noted the people that chase these possessions as the "aspirational rich" who never actually get there cause they spend so much on trying to appear like they are there already. But I agree holy fucking shit that is insane for a watch!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk