Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253157 times)

The Bearded Bank Builder

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2200 on: March 25, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
My coworker's husband got laid off from his high-salary job and was out of work for maybe a year or so. This apparently cause a ton of financial stress (probably because they are making payments on a house worth $2.2 mil), and caused my coworker to sell her car and buy a very sensible Honda SUV. Now, her husband just found out that he got a new job, and she is going today to the Audi and Lexus dealers so she can, as she puts it, "have a real car again." He literally hasn't gotten worked a day yet and they are already spending the money!!!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2201 on: March 25, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
My coworker's husband got laid off from his high-salary job and was out of work for maybe a year or so. This apparently cause a ton of financial stress (probably because they are making payments on a house worth $2.2 mil), and caused my coworker to sell her car and buy a very sensible Honda SUV. Now, her husband just found out that he got a new job, and she is going today to the Audi and Lexus dealers so she can, as she puts it, "have a real car again." He literally hasn't gotten worked a day yet and they are already spending the money!!!

Did you face punch?

Numbers Man

« Reply #2202 on: March 25, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »

I guess the term "wake up call" never got communicated to these folks.

The Bearded Bank Builder

• Stubble
« Reply #2203 on: March 25, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »

Did you face punch?

As much as I would have liked to, I didn't. She wasn't talking to me, plus she comes from a lot of money in her family so I seriously doubt I am going to change her outlook. Update: She bought the car today, decided to go with the Lexus

Supertaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2204 on: March 25, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
I have a couple of friends (married) that drive me nuts. They worry and fight about money issues constantly. But every 3 or 4 years they buy new cars. They buy them two at a time because one can't deal with the other getting something better.

When they bought their last pair I rode up with them to get the second car (I was having a pretty lazy Saturday). After getting there and being told they'd have to wait a couple more days until they found one in the right color, we went to Hardee's. They literally complained about Hardee's charging them an extra $0.30 for onion rings without telling them. Ugh.

And any time we go out somewhere and I choose a more frugal option I have to listen to the 'What do you care? You make more money than both of us combined!' guilt trip.

They wear me out sometimes.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2205 on: March 25, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »
I have a couple of friends (married) that drive me nuts. They worry and fight about money issues constantly. But every 3 or 4 years they buy new cars. They buy them two at a time because one can't deal with the other getting something better.

When they bought their last pair I rode up with them to get the second car (I was having a pretty lazy Saturday). After getting there and being told they'd have to wait a couple more days until they found one in the right color, we went to Hardee's. They literally complained about Hardee's charging them an extra $0.30 for onion rings without telling them. Ugh.

And any time we go out somewhere and I choose a more frugal option I have to listen to the 'What do you care? You make more money than both of us combined!' guilt trip.

I always wonder how people generally in these positions manage to scrounge up a down payment. Do they just live off of a credit card while they bank some cash?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2206 on: March 25, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »

I always wonder how people generally in these positions manage to scrounge up a down payment. Do they just live off of a credit card while they bank some cash?
Most people get a windfall once or twice in their lives, either a small inheritance or some settlement, or a cash gift from an elderly relative trying to minimize the future estate tax.

That, and PMI.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2207 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
I have a coworker who is a treasure chest of good "overheard at work" stories. I'm not even sure how to pick the best story.

One of my favorites is the time she ordered mail-order smoothies. Now, this person has been mostly overweight most of the time I have known her. She had a brief period of about a couple of years where she really kicked-ass and got herself in awesome shape through the help of a personal trainer (some of the stories are related to this) and eating better. Well, she fell off the wagon and gained a lot of weight back.

About a year ago, she decided to take a whole week off to begin a de-toxing process. She read about this company that mails you fresh smoothies every day in just the right combinations to detoxify. OK...the concept of trying to eat healther is great, BUT:

- Why not just take the ideas from the company and make your own smoothies?!?!? Smoothies are one of the easiest things to make...no chopping, cooking, etc. As she was rattling off the different types of green and other smoothies they delivered, I mentioned how I make some of those at home.

- She took a whole week off of work for this! So how can she not have the time to go to the grocery store and make them herself?!?

- I think she actually had to drive to the neighboring county the first weekend to get the first batch of smoothies because they hadn't arrived in time for the week she had planned.

- Unfortunately, the eating healthy thing didn't stick and didn't kick start a new healthy phase in her life. That was over a year ago.

- I am sure this cost a ton. She is usually a big spender on most things.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2208 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Those sort of juice cleanses usually run at least $50/day. I don't get it either.
For $50/day cleanses, one might as well use a good scotch.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2209 on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »

- She took a whole week off of work for this! So how can she not have the time to go to the grocery store and make them herself?!?

This whole thing is quite ridiculous, but why did she have to take a week off of work to drink some smoothies?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2210 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »

This whole thing is quite ridiculous, but why did she have to take a week off of work to drink some smoothies?

She thought the de-toxing process would make her feel weak so she didn't want to have to come in to work. Plus, I think she was going to try to kick-start some other healthy habits during that week.

Cut her some slack, at least she took that week off. We are both at the maximum vacation accrual time at our company which totals about six weeks and we can't roll them over.  She has other years where she loses 2-3 weeks of vacation by not taking them. She's kind of a work-a-holic. I told you there were many stories! This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I roll my eyes when others at work don't take their fully allotted vacation time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:35:42 PM by Daisy »

Supertaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2211 on: March 25, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »

Most people get a windfall once or twice in their lives, either a small inheritance or some settlement, or a cash gift from an elderly relative trying to minimize the future estate tax.

That, and PMI.

They both come from very poor families. It's safe to say that there haven't been (and likely wont be) any windfalls. They haven't been able to qualify for any credit cards, which may be a good thing. They live paycheck to paycheck in the most literal sense.

They've bought all their cars from the same dealership. A few years back they hit a rough patch where they lost the one car they had to an accident, didn't have the savings to replace it, and couldn't get financed for any used cars. The dealership offered them new cars, fully financed. So now they just trade in their old cars as down payments on newer models.

It sounds like it was a good investment for the dealer, since they've found a couple of customers willing to eat the first few years of depreciation on new cars.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2212 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »

That, and PMI.

They both come from very poor families. It's safe to say that there haven't been (and likely wont be) any windfalls. They haven't been able to qualify for any credit cards, which may be a good thing. They live paycheck to paycheck in the most literal sense.

They've bought all their cars from the same dealership. A few years back they hit a rough patch where they lost the one car they had to an accident, didn't have the savings to replace it, and couldn't get financed for any used cars. The dealership offered them new cars, fully financed. So now they just trade in their old cars as down payments on newer models.

It sounds like it was a good investment for the dealer, since they've found a couple of customers willing to eat the first few years of depreciation on new cars.

I guess that means they don't get underwater on them, anyway.   Unless their new loans are carrying their previous cars  balance as well.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2213 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24:46 AM »

I am dealing with that BS from a close friend, I have tried explaining "less I spend, the more I save, the earlier I can retire and more secure I will be" but it totally goes in one ear and out the other.  She made very good money for many years (and still does) and sort of without out bothering with the little stuff found her self very comfortable.  She just does not get the mmm stuff.  It is also almost one of those "why dont you go get a job that pays more" or "it is not my fault you got a poorly paying job" (I am a very well paid engineer) she does not get that I am trying to control the spending side and the income side and that spending is not linked to income.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2214 on: March 26, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »

That made me laugh, drinking smoothies can be exhausting lol.

I am dealing with that BS from a close friend, I have tried explaining "less I spend, the more I save, the earlier I can retire and more secure I will be" but it totally goes in one ear and out the other.  She made very good money for many years (and still does) and sort of without out bothering with the little stuff found her self very comfortable.  She just does not get the mmm stuff.  It is also almost one of those "why dont you go get a job that pays more" or "it is not my fault you got a poorly paying job" (I am a very well paid engineer) she does not get that I am trying to control the spending side and the income side and that spending is not linked to income.

My in-laws make comments like that to my hubbie, they can't seem to understand that we are saving money and living frugally through choice.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #2215 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
Hi everyone! I am new here and have been reading the post with much laughter, and despair, and had to post the following:

Not overhead but said to me by a friend talking about our kids walking home from middle school:

Friend: "I am ok with my daughter walking home on a sunny day but when it's cold or rainy, I am going to order Uber to pick her up.."

BTW, Uber is a car service that you order on your phone.. I estimate it would cost about $25 a pop to drop her daughter off.

Ahhhh!!!!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2216 on: March 26, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
I walked to and from school since I started school. I walked with my siblings when I was kindergarten to 2nd grade, and after that I was on my own. Are kids really that delicate these days, or are parents these days insane? I tend to believe the latter. When I was a kid it would have been mortifying to be seen with your parents walking you to school after age 9.

Depends on many factors, like the distance, the safety of the neighborhood, the weather... 

In Michigan I walked a short distance with my older sister as best I can recall (1st-3rd grade).  In Alaska, we were bussed when there was still snow on the ground for safety.  One year, that meant we were bussed through the end of June.  (Otherwise, I remember biking to school in 6th grade, no idea what I did the earlier two years.)  In NH, I walked about half a mile to the bus stop.  In CA, there were no buses (except for kids getting redistricted for "diversity" reasons)...  That drove my parents nuts.  Dad dropped us off on his way to work (we'd get there 30-45 mins early), and mom picked up afterwards (she was a SAHM).  When dad was out at sea, my sister or I got his car. 

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #2217 on: March 26, 2014, 08:43:49 AM »
This one can't compete with many of the entries on this thread but it amuses me.

Mrs. A and I recently relocated. She's home with Lil' A, and we're still carrying the mortgage and maintenance on our old apartment (it's almost off the books!).

We regularly end up in the following conversation;

Friend: So wait, you're on one income?
Us: Yes
F: You're paying rent?
U: Yes
F: And a mortgage?
F: How does that work?
U: See how you're eating in our home and not in a restaurant? Stuff like that.
F: Are you guys OK?
U: Um, yeah.
F: No really, you need to tell me if you're not ok.

It just amuses/frustrates that most people are totally bewildered by the fact that we can pay our bills. Or that we, you know, had savings so we could could bridge a few months (or years) like this if we need to.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2218 on: March 26, 2014, 09:04:45 AM »
Hi everyone! I am new here and have been reading the post with much laughter, and despair, and had to post the following:

Not overhead but said to me by a friend talking about our kids walking home from middle school:

Friend: "I am ok with my daughter walking home on a sunny day but when it's cold or rainy, I am going to order Uber to pick her up.."

BTW, Uber is a car service that you order on your phone.. I estimate it would cost about $25 a pop to drop her daughter off.

Ahhhh!!!!

Please don't do let her do that. My best friend's sister was recently assaulted by an Uber Driver and has filed a lawsuit against the company. It is my opinion based on my understanding of the situation that they do not have very thorough background checks for their drivers. I would NEVER let my child get into a cab without me. That's insanity.

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2219 on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »

Madness.

Reminds me of when I was younger (14ish) - most of the children walked home from school.  I wanted to walk home with my friends, but Mum was much happier picking me up in the car on her way home from work.  We had an agreement that if it was "raining" she could pick me up, otherwise I would walk.  I took this to be "if it is currently a torrential downpour", she took it to be "if it has rained in the last three years".  Most evenings, when it was perfectly dry, I'd see her car parked outside the front of the school, and me and my friends would sneak out the back of the school and would walk home an obscure route. 
When I would get home, Mum would be there and would say "I was waiting outside the school for you", to which I'd reply "That's very kind, but I can't see why as it wasn't raining".  This went on for months and we both knew full well what the other one was doing.  :-D

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #2220 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:07 AM »

Ahhhh!!!!

Please don't do let her do that. My best friend's sister was recently assaulted by an Uber Driver and has filed a lawsuit against the company. It is my opinion based on my understanding of the situation that they do not have very thorough background checks for their drivers. I would NEVER let my child get into a cab without me. That's insanity.

Very scary, yes, absolutely something to think about. I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable with my child riding in a stranger's car. Isn't that the reason we are nervous about them walking to school in the first place, in case some stranger gets them in their car?

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #2221 on: March 26, 2014, 10:03:54 AM »
It's nuts to think it's safer to ride in a stranger's car than to walk home in the cold/rain. That's what coats and umbrellas are for!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2222 on: March 26, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
I am a manager at a construction company at 26 and an employee in his mid 40s came in telling us a year ago how excited he was for getting a great finance deal on a new bed for $3,000 over 3 years.

He came in very upset last week and we asked him what was wrong. The fine print in the paperwork said there would not be interest tacked on if $1,000 was paid in the first year. He did not realize he had to make up for the "1st month free" payment he never made to hit the $1,000 and because of this he was ~$80 short and 20% interest per year was tacked on to the $2,000 in remaining payments.

kt

« Reply #2223 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:44 AM »
I am a manager at a construction company at 26 and an employee in his mid 40s came in telling us a year ago how excited he was for getting a great finance deal on a new bed for $3,000 over 3 years.

He came in very upset last week and we asked him what was wrong. The fine print in the paperwork said there would not be interest tacked on if $1,000 was paid in the first year. He did not realize he had to make up for the "1st month free" payment he never made to hit the $1,000 and because of this he was ~$80 short and 20% interest per year was tacked on to the $2,000 in remaining payments.

ouch!

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #2224 on: March 26, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »

I know that in some situation when you do the math, financing is a great way to go. However recently my opinion on financing is, never do it.

J. Money from budgets are sexy posted a quote recenlty, something like "Never beg for something that you can earn" I think it kind of applies to financing. Never finance something you could pay cash. ( I know there are exceptions to this rule) If more people planned their lives with this in mind, there would be less 'ouch' situations.

ouch!

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2225 on: March 26, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2226 on: March 26, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
This one can't compete with many of the entries on this thread but it amuses me.

Mrs. A and I recently relocated. She's home with Lil' A, and we're still carrying the mortgage and maintenance on our old apartment (it's almost off the books!).

We regularly end up in the following conversation;

Friend: So wait, you're on one income?
Us: Yes
F: You're paying rent?
F: And a mortgage?
F: How does that work?
U: See how you're eating in our home and not in a restaurant? Stuff like that.
F: Are you guys OK?
U: Um, yeah.
F: No really, you need to tell me if you're not ok.

It just amuses/frustrates that most people are totally bewildered by the fact that we can pay our bills. Or that we, you know, had savings so we could could bridge a few months (or years) like this if we need to.

We had the same thing.  Bought a house but waited to put the condo on the market (both to make the move easier, and to put it on in the spring rather than during the holidays and appear desperate).  My coworkers were really concerned about our "carrying costs".  We had an apartment with no mortgage, so carrying costs were low (condo fee, $8 in gas, ~$12 in electricity), but it was just easier to agree that yes I'd be happy once it sold and I no longer had them.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #2227 on: March 27, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »
My coworker, in a well paid job, was commenting that she had to get her 3 children new wardrobes for the summer and no idea how she would pay for it. This is while she normally purchases several coffees a day plus lunch and will only wear name brands. She also picks up supper multiple times per week.

My 10 year old son will likely need all new pants and shorts for the summer, his tshirts will still fit, but I tend to ask around from people that have older boys and are looking to clean out their closets, works great for both of us :)

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #2228 on: March 27, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
Coworker (who has a 40 mile commute each way, 80 miles round trip): My husband and I figured out last night that it costs me one month of salary to pay for the gas to drive to work.

me: Crazy!

Coworker: Thats not too bad actually.

Me: but, thinking...1/12 of your money is going to gas, not to mention the wear and tear on your car.....

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2229 on: March 27, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
I walked to and from school since I started school. I walked with my siblings when I was kindergarten to 2nd grade, and after that I was on my own. Are kids really that delicate these days, or are parents these days insane? I tend to believe the latter. When I was a kid it would have been mortifying to be seen with your parents walking you to school after age 9.

I remember walking with kids who lived nearby for most of my school career excluding 3rd grade when my mom picked me up (edit: on foot) and 11-12th when I lived too far from school (I moved before junior year) and was bused instead. Sometimes got a ride for extenuating circumstances(which did not include cold or rain, that's what coats are for!), but it was rare. On the other hand, my mom or I picked up my sisters (on foot) through 6th grade or so. When I asked her about it, she explained that there were no kids living near us that walked from school--the nearest was probably halfway to the school from us--and that's what made her uncomfortable. I imagine it's true for a lot of parents; it's one thing when kids play alone outside with other kids and another when they're actually completely alone.

On the other hand, it was while walking her back from 6th grade that I explained trigonometry to my sister, and now she's at MIT, so it probably didn't hurt to keep her company. And walking places in the neighborhood is definitely a good experience. Otherwise people grow up and don't realize their feet can be a form of transportation.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:52:13 PM by galliver »

Twenty4Me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2230 on: March 27, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
My sister and I walked home for many years, and I actually have one of the funniest memories from one such day. It happened that on that day, they had decided to retar one of the roads that we had to cross. If you've ever heard about Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby, you'll know that tar is sticky. Well, my young self figured that if you ran fast enough, you wouldn't get stuck. LOL!!

Let's just say that I got 4 steps in before I was without shoes and without 1 sock!

My sister, of course, had stayed on the sidewalk first to see if my theory was right. We decided that it might be best to try and find a spot without any fresh tar to cross at, hehe.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2231 on: March 27, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
I road my bike to an from school in 5th grade if I didn't want to take the bus.  High school and middle school I had to bus, too far and too many major intersections.

Our daughter is about 2 blocks from her elementary school.  We'll be walking her until she gets old enough to walk herself.  And she'll actually be able to walk her little brother there as well for at least 2 years :)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2232 on: March 27, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »

When I was a kid walking to/from school, walking was the norm and there were more SAHMs so doors were open during those hours.  When I was in 6th grade, I started cutting the corner (alone) on a block to make my trip faster and walked on a street with few houses (out of eyesight of anyone for a good part of that walk).  One time some gross dude pulled up in a car and tried to convince me to go to the store with him to try on pantyhose to "make sure to get the right size for his wife".  If he had been just slightly more aggressive, he could have taken me.  Still gives me shivers every time I think about it.    I would only let a kid walk to school if there were plenty of others walking and plenty of neighbors within hearing distance. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2233 on: March 27, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
I serve on a non-profit board.  I was talking to the Executive Director today, and he said that one of the employees had looked into getting a service to automatically replace whatever cleaning supplies we had used the prior week, rather than have to calculate and put in the order himself every week.  (No space to store more than a week's worth at a time).  Well, apparently he showed the salesperson the supply closet and they talked logistics of refiling that particular closet.  Two bills later for approximately $400 and no product visible in the supply closet, he finds out that the salesperson agreed to fill up the closet...but the actual delivery person goes to the bathrooms, takes the items there and replaces with new ones.  So if the soap is 3/4ths full, he'll pull it out and dump it and put a fresh one in.  Ugh.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2234 on: March 28, 2014, 03:02:23 AM »

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #2235 on: March 28, 2014, 07:41:39 AM »
Me: you are in a little late today.

CW: yeah I had to go to Tainan City (about 15-20km out of his way)

Me: What for?

CW: There is a self service gas station there so I save 0.8 nt/L. I save 3 nt (0.10 USD) every time I fill up my scooter.

(he also had 2 cups of starbucks)

CW: yeah I had to buy 2 because if you buy 2 you can get a sticker. If you get 40 stickers you can get a collectible pen.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2236 on: March 28, 2014, 08:00:09 AM »
One time some gross dude pulled up in a car and tried to convince me to go to the store with him to try on pantyhose to "make sure to get the right size for his wife".  If he had been just slightly more aggressive, he could have taken me.  Still gives me shivers every time I think about it.

And that is the exact type of story that gives me doubts about letting my child(ren) walk (on their own or with a friend).   So glad nothing bad happened, BlueHouse! 

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #2237 on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »
Sweet and simple overheard today, it was a co-worker talking on the phone so I only heard her side (paraphrased):

"No. I can't do anything tonight I'm broke. I'm so mad my paycheck won't go through for another day, I really wanted to go shopping, I guess I'll wait until next week."

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2238 on: March 28, 2014, 09:24:32 AM »
One time some gross dude pulled up in a car and tried to convince me to go to the store with him to try on pantyhose to "make sure to get the right size for his wife".  If he had been just slightly more aggressive, he could have taken me.  Still gives me shivers every time I think about it.

And that is the exact type of story that gives me doubts about letting my child(ren) walk (on their own or with a friend).   So glad nothing bad happened, BlueHouse!

I think that's a super creepy story, but I think it's important to remember that stranger kidnappings are very uncommon (and more so now than "in the good ole days" people talk about), and that the independence is really, really good for kid(s) (http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/). There are, of course, reasonable precautions like being with other people (even other kids), and being in view of the public (not taking out-of-sight shortcuts as kids like to do). And not getting into cars with strangers.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2239 on: March 28, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »
A coworker just complained about a routine vet bill for his dog and talked about the racing stripes he's putting on his new fancy car in practically the same sentence.  I was pretty blown away.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2240 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
Dad taught us to fight and gave me a knife and pepper spray at ages I had good enough judgement and coordination. There were gangs and pervs in my neighborhood. I knew to steer clear. I thought it was weird that kids would get talked into a stranger's van since I knew there weren't many reasons for most adults to want to talk to me. I remember saying "screw you!" to a man that whistled at me. I was raised a little bit like Hit Girl.
That's funny!  I was taught to respect elders and authorities and even when I knew something didn't feel right, I never said so.  It took a long time to figure out that I was allowed to have an opinion and express it and that I could even say "no".   I think it's just lucky that I wasn't abused, because I never would have told anyone (shame and guilt were important factors in my catholic upbringing) And no, I wasn't raised in the 1880s.  But I think this type of thinking was quite common and may still be to some extent.  I still internalize quite a bit and envy those people who can externalize so well.   I know a lot of people who still won't question their doctors. 

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #2241 on: March 28, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
Just overheard at work:

CW: I decided I didn't want to ship off this $400 watch to get fixed!

$400 watch! WHY?!

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2242 on: March 28, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
a new bed for $3,000
OUCH!
My wife and I bought a new bed a few years back.  We decided to buy the most comfortable bed we could possibly afford and, without a doubt, it is the best money we've spent.  It wasn't the most expensive of the ones we'd looked at but it was a very expensive purchase given how value conscious we usually are.

The difference between the quality of sleep we had before and after was far more tangible than I ever thought possible and we both found that we were more energised and physically active as a result which gave rise to a much improved general well being.

I absolutely wouldn't advocate spending $3,000 on a bed if one a fraction of that gives you the same quality of sleep but for Mrs Gremlin and I the difference in general well being between sleeping on a cheap mattress and the "right" one for us was profound (and we've now got three dollars a week going into our "mattress fund" to replace this one when the time comes).

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2243 on: March 28, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
a new bed for $3,000
OUCH!
My wife and I bought a new bed a few years back.  We decided to buy the most comfortable bed we could possibly afford and, without a doubt, it is the best money we've spent.  It wasn't the most expensive of the ones we'd looked at but it was a very expensive purchase given how value conscious we usually are.

The difference between the quality of sleep we had before and after was far more tangible than I ever thought possible and we both found that we were more energised and physically active as a result which gave rise to a much improved general well being.

I absolutely wouldn't advocate spending $3,000 on a bed if one a fraction of that gives you the same quality of sleep but for Mrs Gremlin and I the difference in general well being between sleeping on a cheap mattress and the "right" one for us was profound (and we've now got three dollars a week going into our "mattress fund" to replace this one when the time comes).

I hope you didn't pay retail. I think you can get returned or out of date mattresses for a significant discount. Unless I've been duped!

Now I'm going to be worried that I overpaid for my bed and mattress the rest of the day.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2244 on: March 28, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »
Depends on the state.  My state it's actually illegal to sell a used mattress - that's why they would have charged us a $250 restocking fee if we had returned ours (because they'd have to throw it out).

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2245 on: March 28, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
a new bed for $3,000
OUCH!

I hope you didn't pay retail. I think you can get returned or out of date mattresses for a significant discount. Unless I've been duped!

Now I'm going to be worried that I overpaid for my bed and mattress the rest of the day.

While I agree having a great mattress can be beneficial, spending $3,000 on it seems insane with payments over 3 years while you are already living paycheck to paycheck. If you are in a situation to afford it I have no problem with a purchase like that.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2246 on: March 28, 2014, 03:42:56 PM »
Dad taught us to fight and gave me a knife and pepper spray at ages I had good enough judgement and coordination. There were gangs and pervs in my neighborhood. I knew to steer clear. I thought it was weird that kids would get talked into a stranger's van since I knew there weren't many reasons for most adults to want to talk to me. I remember saying "screw you!" to a man that whistled at me. I was raised a little bit like Hit Girl.
Unfortunately those items will now get you suspended or expelled from school.  You would be lucky to avoid getting a criminal record if you were caught carrying them.  Sigh....

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2247 on: March 28, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »
a new bed for $3,000
OUCH!

I'd absolutely be willing to pay $3k or more for a bed that gave me better rest, with good longevity.  My problem is that there's no good way to tell in advance whether the $3k bed will give me better sleep, or quantify how much better.  You can weed out the ones that are immediately uncomfortable, though.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2248 on: March 28, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
I can sleep well on pretty much any mattress so I wouldn't spend large amounts on one, but I can understand that some people are more sensitive and then it makes sense. Good sleep is more important than few extra $ in the bank.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #2249 on: March 29, 2014, 12:34:20 AM »
Those sort of juice cleanses usually run at least $50/day. I don't get it either.
For $50/day cleanses, one might as well use a good scotch.

This is much cheaper and very effective. p.s. read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Bears-Sugar-Free/dp/B000EVQWKC