Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252856 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19600 on: February 16, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »
Just moved to get my husband a 10 minute walking commute. He's been loving it.
I think this belongs in the celebrations thread....no shame for that item.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19601 on: February 17, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »
I recently interviewed for a Medical Imaging local job after being a Medical Imaging Contract Worker for two years. Contract working is ridiculously lucrative. A "cheap" job is netting $1700/week for 38 hours. I've gotten $2400/week for more like 44+ hours. I opted for three months of vacation the first year, and 5 months of vacation the second year, living off the excess from my contracts while doing and paying for my own house renovations during the time off. Also, omg, I hate full time work and I was mentally exhausted.

Anyway, back to the interview. The hospital has a Contract Worker in the department when we're doing our walk through. And we're doing the usual chit chat "are you social or a introverted mouth breather" back and forth thing when the contract worker asked where all I'd been.

I listed off Arkansas, Arizona, Michigan, Tennessee, and California.

"Where else?" he asks, expecting a far longer list for my two years of travel employment.

"Well, I went to the California place three times and I've had two assignments in Tennessee. But I guess my list is also short because I take at least a month off after every assignment."

This grey haired man, obviously in his 50s, makes a scoffing noise at me. Then asks, "What, got a rich husband?"

I blink at him in bewilderment for a split second, then get an edge of steel in my voice. "No. I'm the rich wife. I've always out earned every partner I've ever been with."

It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides. How is this gray haired man not rolling in it (or at least as wealthy as I am) if he's been doing it for LONGER @_@

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19602 on: February 17, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
I recently interviewed for a Medical Imaging local job after being a Medical Imaging Contract Worker for two years. Contract working is ridiculously lucrative. A "cheap" job is netting $1700/week for 38 hours. I've gotten $2400/week for more like 44+ hours. I opted for three months of vacation the first year, and 5 months of vacation the second year, living off the excess from my contracts while doing and paying for my own house renovations during the time off. Also, omg, I hate full time work and I was mentally exhausted.

Anyway, back to the interview. The hospital has a Contract Worker in the department when we're doing our walk through. And we're doing the usual chit chat "are you social or a introverted mouth breather" back and forth thing when the contract worker asked where all I'd been.

I listed off Arkansas, Arizona, Michigan, Tennessee, and California.

"Where else?" he asks, expecting a far longer list for my two years of travel employment.

"Well, I went to the California place three times and I've had two assignments in Tennessee. But I guess my list is also short because I take at least a month off after every assignment."

This grey haired man, obviously in his 50s, makes a scoffing noise at me. Then asks, "What, got a rich husband?"

I blink at him in bewilderment for a split second, then get an edge of steel in my voice. "No. I'm the rich wife. I've always out earned every partner I've ever been with."

It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides. How is this gray haired man not rolling in it (or at least as wealthy as I am) if he's been doing it for LONGER @_@

What happens when you meet an "introverted mouthbreather?"  Just kill them out of disgust?

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19603 on: February 17, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »

What happens when you meet an "introverted mouthbreather?"  Just kill them out of disgust?

This phrasing was chosen specifically because I have the impression that everyone loves an extrovert and that employers think only an extrovert can give good customer service.  Extroverts also seem to give the impression of being smarter, sharper, quick. I know this is all a lie because I'm very much an introvert but pretend to be an extrovert at work because that is what is expected. I know introverted /=/ stupid, or as I put it, a mouthbreather. Starting and maintaining a conversation about irrelevant stuff during an interview is also an IQ and social test.

*Thinks some more* Death by snu snu?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19604 on: February 18, 2018, 01:30:20 AM »

This phrasing was chosen specifically because I have the impression that everyone loves an extrovert and that employers think only an extrovert can give good customer service.  Extroverts also seem to give the impression of being smarter, sharper, quick. I know this is all a lie because I'm very much an introvert but pretend to be an extrovert at work because that is what is expected. I know introverted /=/ stupid, or as I put it, a mouthbreather. Starting and maintaining a conversation about irrelevant stuff during an interview is also an IQ and social test.

*Thinks some more* Death by snu snu?

I strongly recommend reading Susan Cain's "Quiet" about the extrovert ideal.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19605 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:18 AM »

This phrasing was chosen specifically because I have the impression that everyone loves an extrovert and that employers think only an extrovert can give good customer service.  Extroverts also seem to give the impression of being smarter, sharper, quick. I know this is all a lie because I'm very much an introvert but pretend to be an extrovert at work because that is what is expected. I know introverted /=/ stupid, or as I put it, a mouthbreather......

I strongly recommend reading Susan Cain's "Quiet" about the extrovert ideal.

It's one of the few books I listened to as an audio book a few years back. I think I pretty much said what that book said in way fewer words and far less eloquently and with no studies to back me up. :) I just abhor chit chat, I'm fine with silence, then realize the world isn't fine with silence. So I speak, then feel like I'm just manipulating them into believing a lie about me. It's become habitual to the point people have started believing I'm not an introvert and obviously an extrovert. bleh.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19606 on: February 19, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
Interestingly, from an extroverted perspective, I've had people assume that I cannot possibly have good attention to detail because I'm an extrovert, an assumption that is 100% wrong but that negatively impacted me at work. (I've had several jobs within the same field, most of which boil down to "understanding something incredibly nuanced in order to be able to explain it to people who have no background in it".)

I also hate "chit-chat". I like to talk to people because people are interesting. The weather cannot possibly be the most interesting thing anyone has to talk about; I'd rather have silence. But you're right, the working world abhors silence.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19607 on: February 19, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
Coworker bought a new pickup truck for family car whose price is higher than coworker's annual income at said job. I just smiled. Congrats and all that.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19608 on: February 19, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
I just don’t get the truck thing. If you are going to screw your self over financially to buy a silly toy, why not at least buy a toy that is fun to drive, easy to park, handles well, doesn’t make you look like an idiot trying to compensate for a lack in personal endowments?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19609 on: February 19, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
Pick up trucks are very handy for homeowners. We have had pick up trucks for years but none that cost more than we made per year! Some were used and some were new. I don't think all people are trying to look like idiots but it is idiotic to buy any vehicle just to stand out in the crowd.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19610 on: February 19, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
That use case makes sense. I would need to be convinced though that such use cases represent even a majority of truck owners.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19611 on: February 19, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
Pick up trucks are very handy for homeowners. We have had pick up trucks for years but none that cost more than we made per year! Some were used and some were new. I don't think all people are trying to look like idiots but it is idiotic to buy any vehicle just to stand out in the crowd.
FWIW, a mini van will perform just as well, if not better, than a pickup at most tasks.  The exceptions including bulk stuff (gravel, mulch, that sort of thing) and taller items like some furniture.  For hauling plywood or lumber in general, a minivan will *outperform* most pickups, since most pickup these days seem to have short beds.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19612 on: February 19, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
FWIW, a mini van will perform just as well, if not better, than a pickup at most tasks.  The exceptions including bulk stuff (gravel, mulch, that sort of thing) and taller items like some furniture.  For hauling plywood or lumber in general, a minivan will *outperform* most pickups, since most pickup these days seem to have short beds.

And a good utility trailer behind that minivan will outperform any full size truck with a long bed for carry capacity. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19613 on: February 19, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
I don't think a mini van with a trailer is going to haul stones, loose bark mulch, and things you need 4WD. Plus, if you have a heavy enough truck you can install a 5th wheel to pull a mobile trailer. If you live in the country and not in a condo in a skyscraper, pick up trucks can come in very handy to move furniture for friends and family, haul trees for landscaping, haul topsoil, attach a trailer to haul cattle, haul hay. There are tons of uses for pick up trucks. City people don't need trucks and don't see the need for them.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19614 on: February 19, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
I don't think a mini van with a trailer is going to haul stones, loose bark mulch, and things you need 4WD. Plus, if you have a heavy enough truck you can install a 5th wheel to pull a mobile trailer. If you live in the country and not in a condo in a skyscraper, pick up trucks can come in very handy to move furniture for friends and family, haul trees for landscaping, haul topsoil, attach a trailer to haul cattle, haul hay. There are tons of uses for pick up trucks. City people don't need trucks and don't see the need for them.
?!

The only part of this that is remotely true is that rural properties, especially when you have animals and long, muddy private road (with crater potholes in the spring) calls for a pickup, with 4WD.  Construction industries (some) also make great use of a pickup.

All the other examples given by Roadrunner53 -- the minivan and trailer combo works just fine.   After all, no one wants to shovel more than 1000 lbs of bricks or rock over a weekend (the max for a minivan and trailer).

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #19615 on: February 19, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »
I've owned a house for almost a decade now and still don't understand the hard on people have for trucks.  I used to own nothing but small cars and on the rare occasion I had something that wouldn't fit in those (twice a year max) I would rent a truck from the local Home Depot for $20/75 minutes.  I ended up money way ahead on that.

Finally decided that I needed a trailer to tow a project car around so I bought an SUV last year.  That SUV when combined with a trailer can do anything Roadrunner just listed (assuming the load is less than 7k pounds) but it has 3 rows of seats and cost 1/2 what a comparable truck costs.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19616 on: February 20, 2018, 02:01:01 AM »

I grew up on a farm in a country where pick up trucks aren't a thing (seriously, I think I've never seen one irl, just on TV) and we use tractors for this kind of stuff. A fairly decent, used smaller tractor will cost you €5000-€10.000 and fuel and insurance are much cheaper than for a car. We also had an old station wagon that my dad used for hauling smaller things over longer distances, but it could pull a horse trailer as well. I'm sure a pickup truck could do all those things too, they seem to be really practical vehicles that you could use for a lot of things, but from what I've read around here it's a fairly expensive option.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #19617 on: February 20, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »

I grew up on a farm in a country where pick up trucks aren't a thing (seriously, I think I've never seen one irl, just on TV) and we use tractors for this kind of stuff. A fairly decent, used smaller tractor will cost you €5000-€10.000 and fuel and insurance are much cheaper than for a car. We also had an old station wagon that my dad used for hauling smaller things over longer distances, but it could pull a horse trailer as well. I'm sure a pickup truck could do all those things too, they seem to be really practical vehicles that you could use for a lot of things, but from what I've read around here it's a fairly expensive option.

Same here, in regards to only seeing them on TV. I have now seen one now, and it was a weird experience. It appeared in my rear view mirror while in heavy traffic, and I had some difficulty making out how close it was, and WHAT it was.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #19618 on: February 20, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »

Same here, in regards to only seeing them on TV. I have now seen one now, and it was a weird experience. It appeared in my rear view mirror while in heavy traffic, and I had some difficulty making out how close it was, and WHAT it was.

As an American I find this fascinating ! Come to any big city in America and marvel at the amount of full size v8 gas or diesel trucks you will see. When I visited family as a teenager in Czec Republic I couldn't believe how small the cars were and the "trucks" looked very utilitarian and functional ! Most trucks I saw in Europe were indeed in the country side - hauling hay , sheep or they were big boxy vans like the ford transit that we have here now.

My overheard at work story of the day - coworker was talking about not being able to afford a house on his salary - single father with a 10 yr old son. He makes roughly 50k / yr. I get not being able to afford a house - cost of living in Colorado and housing prices have gone up in the last couple years however he was talking to me about this situation and then showing me housing prices in his desired neighborhood (which is park hill - if you know Colorado you know that is a very expensive area). What really got me was that he was showing me prices on his brand new iPhone x. $ 1000 phone....dumb!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19619 on: February 20, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
?!

The only part of this that is remotely true is that rural properties, especially when you have animals and long, muddy private road (with crater potholes in the spring) calls for a pickup, with 4WD.  Construction industries (some) also make great use of a pickup.

All the other examples given by Roadrunner53 -- the minivan and trailer combo works just fine.   After all, no one wants to shovel more than 1000 lbs of bricks or rock over a weekend (the max for a minivan and trailer).

Actually the Toyota Sienna is rated at 3500 lbs towing capacity. Get into a crossover and that can be 5000 lbs. I'm a big fan of trailers as a solution.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #19620 on: February 20, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »

I once shoveled 7 tons of gravel over a weekend, and I only have a little car.  Services exist to deliver big loads of materials to your job site at minimal cost!  I also do not want to shovel more than 1000 lbs of rock ever again...

If you live in the country and not in a condo in a skyscraper, pick up trucks can come in very handy to move furniture for friends and family, haul trees for landscaping, haul topsoil, attach a trailer to haul cattle, haul hay. There are tons of uses for pick up trucks. City people don't need trucks and don't see the need for them.

All of those things can be delivered.  In my experience, in the country it is even cheaper.  Unless you are profiting from those services (either monetarily or through good will toward your fellow man/woman) or have a very frequent need you are better off not owning a pickup truck.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #19621 on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:07 AM »
I think there was a blog post that explained this pretty well: choose a car for the average use case, not for some rare what-ifs

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19622 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
I think there was a blog post that explained this pretty well: choose a car for the average use case, not for some rare what-ifs

Yea I've always wondered where I read that, it was a good point.  People buy a truck or SUV because 'sometimes we have to haul stuff' or 'we like to go camping... in a way a car won't work... once a year'.  So they buy a vehicle that's ideal one or two days a year, instead of the vehicle that's ideal 364 days a year, and just borrow or rent when needed.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19623 on: February 20, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
Wow, so much hate on pick up trucks...who knew?

If you have the money, want it and can afford, it so be it! If you don't want it, can't afford it or don't have the money don't buy it.

That is why we have choices. Big cars, small cars, big trucks, little trucks, mini vans, trailers and push carts and little red wagons. Something for everyone.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19624 on: February 20, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »
If you have the money, want it and can afford, it so be it! If you don't want it, can't afford it or don't have the money don't buy it.

May be true, but on this forum, posters will still get called out for foolish purchases (not limited to car choice).

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #19625 on: February 20, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »

That is why we have choices. Big cars, small cars, big trucks, little trucks, mini vans, trailers and push carts and little red wagons. Something for everyone.

I have no hate for pickups. The reason I don't own one is the same reason I have a hammer and not a jackhammer.  I have needed both a truck and a jackhammer in the past, but I will never buy either.  If your job requires you to break up concrete, or you just love doing it, I would agree a jackhammer makes sense.  If you are just going to lean on your jackhammer in the sun to show off your burliness to the ladies, then no.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #19626 on: February 20, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »

Yea I've always wondered where I read that, it was a good point.  People buy a truck or SUV because 'sometimes we have to haul stuff' or 'we like to go camping... in a way a car won't work... once a year'.  So they buy a vehicle that's ideal one or two days a year, instead of the vehicle that's ideal 364 days a year, and just borrow or rent when needed.
See Rule #2 of car strategies.

Turns out your truck says something about you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19627 on: February 20, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »

I have no hate for pickups. The reason I don't own one is the same reason I have a hammer and not a jackhammer.  I have needed both a truck and a jackhammer in the past, but I will never buy either.  If your job requires you to break up concrete, or you just love doing it, I would agree a jackhammer makes sense.  If you are just going to lean on your jackhammer in the sun to show off your burliness to the ladies, then no.

Brb buying a jackhammer

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #19628 on: February 20, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

"dragonjackhammer" ... i love it

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19629 on: February 20, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19630 on: February 20, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

Please bring your jackhammer and your muscles over to my house this spring/summer/fall. I have some concrete I need removed. ;)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19631 on: February 20, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
Maybe the women are buying pick up trucks to show off THEIR burliness to the men!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=women+driving+pickup+trucks&qpvt=women+driving+pickup+trucks&FORM=IGRE

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #19632 on: February 20, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
Coworker today wanted to show off his 2015 used $25K pickup truck that he was happy to trade his older paid off $4K Chevy Impala for....$25,000 16,000 miles and 18 MPG freeway. I don't know what kind of truck he got, but he needs to Kevlar? the truck bed so it doesn't get rusty and got it because his fiancé and he are looking to have kids soon so he'll need to buy a cover for the truck bed to store strollers and such.

Ouch.  Payments are over $500/month at 4.9% interest, and he thought that was a good rate/deal.  He has no student loans, but he's a CPA, not a construction worker.  This is a professional still using his parents for "free" health insurance.  I want to smack them and teach them at the same time, but I just shake my head and say how pretty the new truck is.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19633 on: February 20, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
Lots of controversy at my work right now, as they're cutting the retirement plan (pension) of the old-timers to be basically in line with what the newer people have.  Cuts are to future accruals only.

On the one hand, I feel for them a bit, because they're going to get a 40% or so cut to their future accruals.

On the other hand, that bit I feel bad is really really tiny, because they've been receiving an oversized portion of the company contributions to retirement plans for years.  They're now complaining that most of the cuts are going to fall on them...which is true, but the cuts are just bringing them in line with other employees.  My mini-pension is being frozen as well, but I'd rather have the defined contribution that's replacing it anyway.

I never once heard any of them standing up for us, trying to increase our benefit levels, but now they're whining about how they're the heart and soul of the company, and that they're being betrayed.  "I never planned to have to contribute anything to my retirement, and now I'll never make up the gap with a 401(k)." 

Other complaints:
"To receive the full match, people will have to contribute up to 5% (tax deferred) to their salary.  Not everyone can do that."  This is an engineering company.  Everyone can pay 5%.  They choose not to, but need facepunches. 

What really grinds my gears is when they are volunteering to eliminate our (meager) raises year after year to fund the pension.  Not only does their pension only benefit 25+ year employees, but raises primarily benefit the younger cohort.  Double whammy on the theoretical future of the company.  Keep it up, and they won't be the future of the company for very long.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:01:07 PM by Arbitrage »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19634 on: February 20, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »

What the fuck forum you think this is???

I just had to wade through a 3200-word submission stream of consciousness for work, and I wish it was written with half your brevity and candour, @craiglepaige. :D

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19635 on: February 20, 2018, 07:04:26 PM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

Please bring your jackhammer and your muscles over to my house this spring/summer/fall. I have some concrete I need removed. ;)

We rent a jackhammer when we need one (yes, this has happened), but the 4WD pickup truck gets regular use, nearly weekly doing something no van and trailer or delivery company can do (when we get lumber delivered, the lumber yard comes in their 4WD pickup because the regular delivery vehicle won't make it to our place).

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19636 on: February 20, 2018, 08:37:41 PM »

I know, right? I haven't been on this forum in a while, but some of the posts I've been reading are Clown worthy. I almost felt guilty giving a facepunch to someone in the Facepunch me! thread~~

This isn't the "Spend wastefully, and then admit it online to absolve yourself" forum. This is the Facepunching Mr Money Mustache forum!

I get my babying over on YNAB :P

Edit Add: I was gone like, 18 months. I'm assuming MMM has reached the masses and the masses either aren't getting it or, alternatively, refuse the methodology entirely while still wanting to claim the badassity by association.

I'm not a bad ass. Today I decided that when I put another 60k into a combo of IRA/401k, MAYBE I'll buy myself a gaming lap top. I suspect I'm 3 years away from that. I wish I was as hardcore as MMM was when he was still in his wealth earning stage. And that's why I don't usually post any of my financial bedpan moments or post to an Anti mustachianism thread because one should expect a FACEPUNCH here.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:17:48 PM by Mesmoiselle »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19637 on: February 20, 2018, 11:00:19 PM »

For much hate for the forgetful.  If you have the money, want and can afford to forget what forum you are on, it so be it!

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #19638 on: February 21, 2018, 08:14:41 AM »
  This is a professional still using his parents for "free" health insurance.  I want to smack them and teach them at the same time, but I just shake my head and say how pretty the new truck is.

I'm actually going to raise a point on this, as a young professional still on my parents health insurance plan. I have the benefit of being young and healthy, and don't need much medical care besides typical women stuff. If I got health insurance through my workplace, it would be approximately 10% of my gross pay.

My parents are of course going to purchase health insurance for themselves, and they chose to pay health insurance for my younger brother who is still in college. At that point, it is basically free for me to be added to their health insurance as there is no adults + 1 child plan, it's just a family plan. And this benefit does end eventually (when I reach age 26), where I get to face the lovely choice most young healthy Americans get to face with paying buckets of money for something we don't use, or taking the risk and going uncovered.

And before someone gets upset with me, yes, I would love socialized medicine. I do understand part of me paying insurance is to cover someone who can't afford it. But we have set up our system with so much bloat and burocracy that having low cost care isn't really feasible yet. We already spend the most money out of every country in the world, and it's not like our care is that much better.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #19639 on: February 21, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
  This is a professional still using his parents for "free" health insurance.  I want to smack them and teach them at the same time, but I just shake my head and say how pretty the new truck is.

I'm actually going to raise a point on this, as a young professional still on my parents health insurance plan. I have the benefit of being young and healthy, and don't need much medical care besides typical women stuff. If I got health insurance through my workplace, it would be approximately 10% of my gross pay.

My parents are of course going to purchase health insurance for themselves, and they chose to pay health insurance for my younger brother who is still in college. At that point, it is basically free for me to be added to their health insurance as there is no adults + 1 child plan, it's just a family plan. And this benefit does end eventually (when I reach age 26), where I get to face the lovely choice most young healthy Americans get to face with paying buckets of money for something we don't use, or taking the risk and going uncovered.

And before someone gets upset with me, yes, I would love socialized medicine. I do understand part of me paying insurance is to cover someone who can't afford it. But we have set up our system with so much bloat and burocracy that having low cost care isn't really feasible yet. We already spend the most money out of every country in the world, and it's not like our care is that much better.

The parents in this case have only 1 child, so they are subsidizing this coworker.  I am old enough to be his mother..... 

If it truly is "free" for the parents to add more kids, then by all means go for it.  It would be nice of the kid to split the difference with the parents (or at least offer to) of what they would have to pay on their own through work.  Or tell their parents that they are putting that $ into the 401(k) or something valuable instead of a truck with tricked out 20" wheels. 

I agree that our health care costs are really high.  Since you're on this site, I'm assuming you are putting at least 10% of your gross salary into the 401(k) or your student loans. Each time you do, thank your parents. :-)  We would appreciate that. 

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19640 on: February 21, 2018, 08:33:50 AM »

The parents in this case have only 1 child, so they are subsidizing this coworker.  I am old enough to be his mother..... 

If it truly is "free" for the parents to add more kids, then by all means go for it.  It would be nice of the kid to split the difference with the parents (or at least offer to) of what they would have to pay on their own through work.  Or tell their parents that they are putting that $ into the 401(k) or something valuable instead of a truck with tricked out 20" wheels. 

I agree that our health care costs are really high.  Since you're on this site, I'm assuming you are putting at least 10% of your gross salary into the 401(k) or your student loans. Each time you do, thank your parents. :-)  We would appreciate that.

Totally agree that an adult child should be chipping in. Most colleges have low cost plans for students that aren't that bad, so it would probably have been cheaper for them to do that rather than pay the family plan price.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19641 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:02 AM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

We rent a jackhammer when we need one (yes, this has happened), but the 4WD pickup truck gets regular use, nearly weekly doing something no van and trailer or delivery company can do (when we get lumber delivered, the lumber yard comes in their 4WD pickup because the regular delivery vehicle won't make it to our place).

A real mustachian would've used a jewelers hammer and chisel.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #19642 on: February 21, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »

You are right, we've been going crazy on student loans. At least 50%+ a month. Parents are aware and are grateful they can help in that way. My mom benifited from a cheap rent arrangement with her parents when she was young and married to my dad, so she sees it as that little bit of help getting passed along. (If you're interested in following, I have a journal)

Not sure about my brothers option as he's at a different school, but my graduate school was even more expensive had less coverage than my work's options.

Oh, and any costs incurred above insurance is (obviously) our responsiblility.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #19643 on: February 21, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
Duplicate, sorry

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19644 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

I don't have those either. And not actually able to wield those giant hammers (sledgehammer?), at least not without killing or seriously injuring myself. Being short and weak has its disadvantages.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19645 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:55 PM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

And a poster of Rita Hayworth

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19646 on: February 22, 2018, 05:08:05 AM »

Brb buying a jackhammer

hmm. Burly.

And a poster of Rita Hayworth
Rita, despite her many talents, cannot do much to remove 3 inches of bedrock so you can have a level house foundation (the jackhammer application we had). Posters of Rita Hayworth are excellent for classing up the joint later. Proper tool for each task - that's Mustachian.

Actually that's the point I was trying to make. Too many people out there apply a 4WD pickup truck to a task for which a small car is the proper tool, but that doesn't mean the pickup truck tasks don't exist.*

* It does mean I can get used ones easily, so there's that. Task-wise, there's nothing those $70K monstrosities will do that my $4.5K 1997 model won't.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19647 on: February 22, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
You sure yours can tow one of those massive fifth wheel trailer thingies that get used for glamping once a year and get parked in a driveway the other 362 days? :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19648 on: February 22, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
I love the word "glamping". Some brag using the word. Some tease about the bragging that other people do about glamping. Still either way - it is the perfect word.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19649 on: February 22, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
It is pretty great. For the record, I have no problem with it as a concept. Meet people where they are comfortable. I have enjoyed everything from backpacking to tent trailering and in between.
On the work front I now know three people who are FI but not R(E). One happened suddenly with an inheritance, so I understand taking time to reflect on what he wants in life. One has a husband already retired who wants her to retire, and I don’t get why she still comes in to work, though she is a great person so I enjoy her being there. The final is currently looking into switching jobs for something that has a longer commute and the expectation of longer hours. Huh?