Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253346 times)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2800 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
What instrument(s) do you play?  What languages do you speak?  What gourmet food do you cook?  What tricks can your dog do?  Where do you volunteer?

+1

sure, be bored, but don't say there's nothing you can do about it

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2801 on: June 05, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
What instrument(s) do you play?  What languages do you speak?  What gourmet food do you cook?  What tricks can your dog do?  Where do you volunteer?

+1

sure, be bored, but don't say there's nothing you can do about it

+2
We'll even let you go back to work (part-time?) without calling the retirement police, if that's what you want.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2802 on: June 05, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

Just the idea of getting a 5-figure bonus makes me weak in the knees. I work for the Federal government as an attorney. At year-end, we do get "bonuses" but they're in the 3-figures, which is still better than a kick in the head. My aunt found out that we got a bonus and started complaining because that was her tax dollars, so why should a Federal employee get a bonus? God forbid we actually get rewarded individually for doing good work for the American people. I wanted to slap her. As an attorney, I'm not unionized, get zero overtime for doing work beyond 40 hours per week (which always happens), and am located in a city that was supposed to get locality pay last year because we make far less than the private sector, but didn't because the Office of Personnel Management failed to do the paperwork. So I'll take my $700, thank you.

not to mention that 3-year pay freeze!

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #2803 on: June 05, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
I read this entire thread. It is sad and funny at the same time. I retired 4 years ago at the age of 51. I have a sweet pension, an almost paid off house, 2 college educations paid for in cash and zero debt. I have a great wife and two awesome kids. I have news for all of you with aspirations of early retirement. It is not nearly as easy and fun as you think. When the weather is cold or rainy I am bored shitless. I know, I know..."I wont be bored, I'm different" BULLSHIT! You will be bored.
    You will not do all this budget traveling. You wont fix everything in your house. Life still gets in the way....Do yourselves a huge favor. Find work that matters and focus on that. It will be all rosy fo a while until you realize just how important work is to your well being. And guess what? The only one happy that I am home every day is my dog!
    I wish you all luck.

Why have you waited 4 years to take your own advice?  55 is not too old to find some work that matters to you and avoid your horribly boring retirement for a few more years.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #2804 on: June 05, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
Quote from: Harvey Danger
If you're bored then you're boring
The agony in the irony is killing me.

This is the age of the internet

Quote from: Dave Gorman
The internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever

Surely you can find something interesting to read/learn on the cold and shitty days

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2805 on: June 05, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
BULLSHIT! You will be bored.
I already have enough interests and hobbies to take up 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and I'm definitely not retired. If you really don't have enough things that you like doing, you need to try more things.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2806 on: June 05, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »
I read this entire thread. It is sad and funny at the same time. I retired 4 years ago at the age of 51. I have a sweet pension, an almost paid off house, 2 college educations paid for in cash and zero debt. I have a great wife and two awesome kids. I have news for all of you with aspirations of early retirement. It is not nearly as easy and fun as you think. When the weather is cold or rainy I am bored shitless. I know, I know..."I wont be bored, I'm different" BULLSHIT! You will be bored.
    You will not do all this budget traveling. You wont fix everything in your house. Life still gets in the way....Do yourselves a huge favor. Find work that matters and focus on that. It will be all rosy fo a while until you realize just how important work is to your well being. And guess what? The only one happy that I am home every day is my dog!
    I wish you all luck.

Ah, yes.  Everyone's retirement will be exactly like mine.  At least you're in the right forum section!

ETA -- I'm sorry you're bored, but don't project your boredom on everyone else.  What instrument(s) do you play?  What languages do you speak?  What gourmet food do you cook?  What tricks can your dog do?  Where do you volunteer?

To answer your question...Guitar. English.Accomplished cook.My dog is old and dying.  Volunteer Fire Dept. - And I wasn't trying to project negativity. Just reality. Retirement is not all fun. It is a learned behavior. I'm well traveled, rode a bicycle from Newfoundland to Palm Beach and was an adrenaline junkie fireman in NYC for over 20 years. I kayak fish in the ocean, at night and can probably, at my middle age, still kick some ass. And I'm telling you retirement is not all its cracked up to be and people should be prepared for that.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2807 on: June 05, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
    I wish you all luck.

Ah, yes.  Everyone's retirement will be exactly like mine.  At least you're in the right forum section!

ETA -- I'm sorry you're bored, but don't project your boredom on everyone else.  What instrument(s) do you play?  What languages do you speak?  What gourmet food do you cook?  What tricks can your dog do?  Where do you volunteer?

To answer your question...Guitar. English.Accomplished cook.My dog is old and dying.  Volunteer Fire Dept. - And I wasn't trying to project negativity. Just reality. Retirement is not all fun. It is a learned behavior. I'm well traveled, rode a bicycle from Newfoundland to Palm Beach and was an adrenaline junkie fireman in NYC for over 20 years. I kayak fish in the ocean, at night and can probably, at my middle age, still kick some ass. And I'm telling you retirement is not all its cracked up to be and people should be prepared for that.

But what is the solution?  Getting a job?

EricL

« Reply #2808 on: June 05, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
    I wish you all luck.

Reminds me of a Zen Story:
A young monk approaches his Zen master.

Monk: Master, I'm bored.
Master:  Then GO!  DO the IMPOSSIBLE!

So the monk went away bored.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2809 on: June 05, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »

Im glad I struck a chord here...From reading MMM, which, I really ascribe to and enjoy, I get the impression that a lot of people here think that retirement is all Hawaiian shirts and sunny skies. Now, you guys that are aspiring to this but are not there yet, great! Just be forewarned that it is not as great as you think it is. It was at first but it wears off. You will see. Enjoy!

Surely you can find something interesting to read/learn on the cold and shitty days

Waternstone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2810 on: June 05, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »
About coworkers and cars...three quick scenarios;

1. Our admin assistant (makes about $60k/yr and drives a three series bmw while paying $1500/month in rent) and I were on a plane for a biz trip. The stewardess tells her to put her uber-designer bag on the floor under the seat in front of her to prepare for landing. The admin says to me, "this PURSE cost $4,000... UGH!!!!" To which without missing a beat knowing that I make several times her salary, "OMG! Your handbag is worth more than my CAR!!! (2000 avalon, 153k miles, goin strong) She was horrified at my *impoverished* vehicle and I was just laughing and laughing.

2. My junior coworker used to drive a very posh Mustang that was only a few years old but was always breaking down. She told me she bought a new car and was proud cuz she bought it used (late model VW Taureg). She said she got a great deal and I was like, cool! How much was it? Over $25K + extended warranty for $4k BECAUSE IT ALREADY BROKE DOWN FOUR TIMES in the three months she's owned it. OMG, omg, omg!! And this lovely lady who I adore owes almost $150K in student loans for 2 masters degrees... Btw, I really, respect grad school stuff for those who enjoy school (and paying for higher learning), but I get a lot of mileage (bad pun intended) in my prof with a simple bachelors degree. This is someone who is saving to buy a house in Redondo Beach, CA = OMG expensive + >40 miles from work!...

3. Another junior coworker bought a new car: five series BMW fully loaded = >$80k. OMG!!! whaaaaat?!?! And, wait for it... financed the thing!!!  She saw me blanch and reach for the wall cuz I was basically gobsmacked to which she said, "yeh, I have a really long commute so I wanted to enjoy the drive.... "

They all think I'm insane. I just don't understand what they are thinking. Granted, I'm older than all three by a few years (I'm 40) but wth, people!!!?? I live 5 miles from the office, drive a 14 yr old car that feels uber posh to me, and dress modestly meaning, I buy nice work blouses, slacks and sweaters (thank God I rarely need to wear a suit) on clearance at the local outlet then proceed to wear them out before I replace them whilst they shop their hearts out on haute couture (which, btw, I really enjoy seeing. They all look fab! But, shopping for clothes makes me shudder. I successfully avoid the activity the high, high majority of the time.  Can't even tell you the last time I walked into a mall because they fill me with dread... They are like massive 'thing' mausoleums built in such a way that it feels like you just can't get out....)

Anyway, wooohooo to freedom from pricey cars, student loans and *price couture*!!!

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #2811 on: June 05, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »

3. Another junior coworker bought a new car: five series BMW fully loaded = >$80k. OMG!!! whaaaaat?!?! And, wait for it... financed the thing!!!  She saw me blanch and reach for the wall cuz I was basically gobsmacked to which she said, "yeh, I have a really long commute so I wanted to enjoy the drive.... "

My manager and coworker #1 are trying to convince coworker #2 to buy a new car. They are basically harassing this guy to buy a new car. It's always the same stupid conversation too.

Manager & CW1, "you've had that car forever. you should get a new car"
Manager & cw1 proceed to offer suggestions of ridiculous car models this very simple plain-jane type of guy should buy. The guy drives a Corolla (probably spelt wrong). Manager, "you should get a Cadillac."
After a little bit I chime in asking CW2 if he's had any problems with his car. He says no. I ask if he hates the car. He says no. I point out that I've never heard him ever complain about the car and I've never heard him say that the car has needed any repairs in the 3 years of working with him. I point out that he now has a mortgage and ask if he really wants a car payment again. He says no. At this point I usually turn to CW1 & manager and tell them to stop planting a bad seed in CW2's ear.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2812 on: June 05, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »
My manager and coworker #1 are trying to convince coworker #2 to buy a new car. They are basically harassing this guy to buy a new car. It's always the same stupid conversation too.
Misery loves company.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2813 on: June 05, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
    I wish you all luck.

Funny that. My dad has been retired for about a decade, and he's not bored. He's busy and he's enjoying life. And since he's retired longer than you have, I could say that his experience trumps yours. Or, just, maybe, you know... acknowledge that people are different? :)

jordanread

« Reply #2814 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
Misery loves company.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but I had a friend who constantly leased cars (since he updates every couple of years anyway *eye roll*), and tried to convince me to do the same. I remember asking him about how awesome it would be to not have a car payment. His response was so fatalistic, it freaked me out a bit:

I'm always going to have a car payment, so might as well get a new car out of it every couple of years.

Personally, I remember how it felt the first time I paid off a car I bought. Holy crap! It was like winning the lottery!! Now I know even more, so my fun little build thread gives me joy.

I wish you all luck.

Funny that. My dad has been retired for about a decade, and he's not bored. He's busy and he's enjoying life. And since he's retired longer than you have, I could say that his experience trumps yours. Or, just, maybe, you know... acknowledge that people are different? :)

I'm going to go ahead and just assume that it was a warning based on his own experience. Viper mentioned that they weren't trying to be negative, just giving a head's up. That would be an interesting journey to follow though.

Hey Viper: What would you say to starting a thread in either the journal's section or the Ask a Mustachian section, documenting your efforts to get rid of that annoying boredom you are experiencing. I'd definitely be interested in that!!

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2815 on: June 05, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »

Manager & CW1, "you've had that car forever. you should get a new car"
Manager & cw1 proceed to offer suggestions of ridiculous car models this very simple plain-jane type of guy should buy. The guy drives a Corolla (probably spelt wrong). Manager, "you should get a Cadillac."
After a little bit I chime in asking CW2 if he's had any problems with his car. He says no. I ask if he hates the car. He says no. I point out that I've never heard him ever complain about the car and I've never heard him say that the car has needed any repairs in the 3 years of working with him. I point out that he now has a mortgage and ask if he really wants a car payment again. He says no. At this point I usually turn to CW1 & manager and tell them to stop planting a bad seed in CW2's ear.

Should have followed up with:

Since he has other bills and wants no car payment, are you guys paying for it?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #2816 on: June 05, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »
Military retirement ceremonies...
One more mandatory formation...
During the 1990s drawdown it got so bad that my spouse spent several months attending an average of three retirement ceremonies per week.  At the end of that period the command shifted to a monthly group ceremony, and that had 5-15 honorees for a couple of years.

A couple weeks before I left on terminal leave, my department invited me to a BBQ at our Damage Control/Firefighting Complex.  First we ran our staff instructors (me included) through the flooding & firefighting trainers one more time for proficiency (complex casualty scenarios, no holds barred).  It was an exhausting team-building workout but it was (hopefully) the last time I'll have to handle those problems.  Then we fired up the gas grills and had ourselves a real pau hana party.  That was a much better way to say farewell than a formal ceremony.   

I must have written over two dozen letters of recommendation during my last few months there.  That was the real retirement benefit-- getting the best troops selected and promoted for the programs that they wanted.

The retirement of a senior officer (including the change of command ceremony) can tie up the efforts of most of a command for at least a week.  I've never understood that application of taxpayer dollars. 

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #2817 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:29 PM »

1. Our admin assistant (makes about $60k/yr and drives a three series bmw while paying $1500/month in rent) and I were on a plane for a biz trip. The stewardess tells her to put her uber-designer bag on the floor under the seat in front of her to prepare for landing. The admin says to me, "this PURSE cost $4,000... UGH!!!!" To which without missing a beat knowing that I make several times her salary, "OMG! Your handbag is worth more than my CAR!!! (2000 avalon, 153k miles, goin strong) She was horrified at my *impoverished* vehicle and I was just laughing and laughing.

2. My junior coworker used to drive a very posh Mustang that was only a few years old but was always breaking down. She told me she bought a new car and was proud cuz she bought it used (late model VW Taureg). She said she got a great deal and I was like, cool! How much was it? Over $25K + extended warranty for $4k BECAUSE IT ALREADY BROKE DOWN FOUR TIMES in the three months she's owned it. OMG, omg, omg!! And this lovely lady who I adore owes almost $150K in student loans for 2 masters degrees... Btw, I really, respect grad school stuff for those who enjoy school (and paying for higher learning), but I get a lot of mileage (bad pun intended) in my prof with a simple bachelors degree. This is someone who is saving to buy a house in Redondo Beach, CA = OMG expensive + >40 miles from work!...

They all think I'm insane. I just don't understand what they are thinking. Granted, I'm older than all three by a few years (I'm 40) but wth, people!!!?? I live 5 miles from the office, drive a 14 yr old car that feels uber posh to me, and dress modestly meaning, I buy nice work blouses, slacks and sweaters (thank God I rarely need to wear a suit) on clearance at the local outlet then proceed to wear them out before I replace them whilst they shop their hearts out on haute couture (which, btw, I really enjoy seeing. They all look fab! But, shopping for clothes makes me shudder. I successfully avoid the activity the high, high majority of the time.  Can't even tell you the last time I walked into a mall because they fill me with dread... They are like massive 'thing' mausoleums built in such a way that it feels like you just can't get out....)

Anyway, wooohooo to freedom from pricey cars, student loans and *price couture*!!!

Sounds like you live in the Los Angeles area too. We're surrounded by "materialists" here aren't we?

Are you in "the business" like me or do you have a "normal" job? :) I just realized I used a lot of quotes in this post. Ah well...

Alot of my coworkers eat out at expensive places for lunch all the time - people who I know I make more money than as they are my support staff... one person I work with just spent 4 months travelling Europe and buying wine and whiskey to be shipped home. When asked if they had a retirement plan... the answer was "no". Yes we make a lot of money... but we're not going to make it forever.

Geesh - in this biz you definitely need a retirement plan. I think I've got another 10 years or so before I get pushed out by the young blood. Maybe. Or at least I'm telling myself that so I get all my ducks in a row and fast so I don't have to worry about it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:04:27 PM by cdub »

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #2818 on: June 05, 2014, 10:23:51 PM »
I was at a work training today going over cost-benefit analyses for multiple construction scenarios. One of the scenarios was a "make vs. buy" question, i.e. should the company build a new building or lease existing space?

The instructor paused during his explanation of one factor and said, "You know, on a personal level, this calculation is pretty easy. If you're looking at something like buying a car, you're always going to have a payment, so it's just always cheaper to lease. Case closed."

Since when is it normal to assume people are incapable of buying paying cash for cars?

Waternstone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2819 on: June 05, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »
Hey, cdub...

Yeh, I live in highland park next to occidental college and work in old town Pasadena. I have a normal job...not in the " industry" ... But I went to UCLA and know lots of folks who do...

I'll tell you, they say youth is just a state of mind but sometimes in this town, it seems like a state of financial ignorance people cling to lest they have to face reality and get a grip...  I'm hoping to get FIREd in the next couple years or so and relax for a bit while I stretch my creative muscles for a spell...

Nice to hear from a fellow Angeleno, btw. I rarely meet any mustachians round here. Hoping for a visit from Mmm himself to get folks rallied for a social event...

Sounds like you live in the Los Angeles area too. We're surrounded by "materialists" here aren't we?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:52:11 PM by Waternstone »

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #2820 on: June 06, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »
Hey, cdub...

Yeh, I live in highland park next to occidental college and work in old town Pasadena. I have a normal job...not in the " industry" ... But I went to UCLA and know lots of folks who do...

I'll tell you, they say youth is just a state of mind but sometimes in this town, it seems like a state of financial ignorance people cling to lest they have to face reality and get a grip...  I'm hoping to get FIREd in the next couple years or so and relax for a bit while I stretch my creative muscles for a spell...

Nice to hear from a fellow Angeleno, btw. I rarely meet any mustachians round here. Hoping for a visit from Mmm himself to get folks rallied for a social event...

Yes my goal is to pay off the mortgage in 7 years and then just save like ballbusters in taxable accounts. I'm already maxing out the 401k.

Due to situations beyond my control which hopefully are temporary I'm only saving 25-30% of my income now. We should be able to get it back up to 50% I hope in the fall. We'll see.

I still eat out sometimes at work due to stress - but I'm trying to get better.

I'm still typing this on a 4 year old Chromebook. New ones only cost $199 but I can't bring myself to buy one even though that is so cheap in computer terms. Yes this is old and slow compared to the new ones but it is good enough.

I just can't justify it. This coming from a guy in his pre-mustachian days bought a $4,000 Macbook Pro in 2007. :) I won't even buy a $199 computer. ha.

Waternstone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2821 on: June 06, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »
Way to flex those mustachian muscles, cdub... I hear u about unexpected expenses. My dog who I adopted ten yrs ago when I bought this house got hit by a car in Feb. She just had surgery number two yesterday.

Are u planning to stay here when u retire? I was born and raised here and I love the city and have extended family here but I think I want to try to relocate somewhere greener, with a little more rain/weather and, hopefully, an active mustachian community. Not to mention, houses are soooooo expensive here. My job is crazy stressful and I don't know that I want to work the extra yrs it would require to pay this house off when the equity could buy what I need outright elsewhere...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2822 on: June 06, 2014, 05:44:20 AM »
Military retirement ceremonies...
One more mandatory formation...
During the 1990s drawdown it got so bad that my spouse spent several months attending an average of three retirement ceremonies per week.  At the end of that period the command shifted to a monthly group ceremony, and that had 5-15 honorees for a couple of years.

A couple weeks before I left on terminal leave, my department invited me to a BBQ at our Damage Control/Firefighting Complex.  First we ran our staff instructors (me included) through the flooding & firefighting trainers one more time for proficiency (complex casualty scenarios, no holds barred).  It was an exhausting team-building workout but it was (hopefully) the last time I'll have to handle those problems.  Then we fired up the gas grills and had ourselves a real pau hana party.  That was a much better way to say farewell than a formal ceremony.   

I must have written over two dozen letters of recommendation during my last few months there.  That was the real retirement benefit-- getting the best troops selected and promoted for the programs that they wanted.

The retirement of a senior officer (including the change of command ceremony) can tie up the efforts of most of a command for at least a week.  I've never understood that application of taxpayer dollars.

On Army installations this is a monthly event with units tasked to provide escorts, color guards and the like similar to a change of command.  I haven't met many retirees who really enjoy the pomp since it feels like the Army putting them through one more dog and pony show.  I still have about a decade to go, but when it's my turn unless the entire family can reasonably be there I'd rather just pass and have a big party at my house.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #2823 on: June 06, 2014, 06:59:56 AM »

Im glad I struck a chord here...From reading MMM, which, I really ascribe to and enjoy, I get the impression that a lot of people here think that retirement is all Hawaiian shirts and sunny skies. Now, you guys that are aspiring to this but are not there yet, great! Just be forewarned that it is not as great as you think it is. It was at first but it wears off. You will see. Enjoy!

Interesting perspective and thanks for the civil discourse on what is obviously the core topic of the whole community...I've seen less important topics degrade pretty quickly when opposing views come to a head.  I guess all we can say is that each of us will discover what it is like when we get there, and it is important to know that not everyday is sunshine and rainbows.

In an attempt to get back on topic, I can only add that I have very little to add...in my current workplace everyone here is pretty frugal with the office kitchen tables being crowded at lunch time most days and nary a car fancier than a Honda CRV in the parking lot.

Anyone else feel left out of this thread because they work with reasonable people?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2824 on: June 06, 2014, 08:30:47 AM »
Anyone else feel left out of this thread because they work with reasonable people?

lol, yes, that's why I posted a positive story above, about an attempt to go thrift store shopping with a coworker for our first "non-work" activity.  Some of my coworkers are a little nutty - just learned one coworker has *three* houses (even if at least 1, maybe more are in cheap areas), and while he's in the twilight of his career, he's akin to a paralegal, working for the state, so not that rich and wealthy.  But most are reasonable, with a few more MMM than me, biking every day, bringing food every day, and thrift shopping all furniture purchases, living in smaller spaces, etc.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2825 on: June 06, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
Not my coworker, but my fiance's coworker:

He got fired 2 days ago.  He was late to work consistently and always the first to leave.  They are in outdoor work that is done in teams, so everyone should leave around the same time based on any small machine shop/office tasks that might need to be completed at the end of the day.  He ALWAYS was the first out of the door.  He also doesn't seem to take any interest in learning the craft and hasn't gotten his CDL within the allotted time frame.  His supervisor mentioned it several times, and he said he didn't have enough money to pay for the test.  The supervisor said the company would front the charge then take it out of his paycheck at around $5/week.  He still didn't do it.  Anyway, he ended up fired.

During the actual "firing" conversation, my fiance overheard him saying (this is a tiny office of 4 people-not really anywhere behind closed doors) that he has money problems that have been distracting him and he can't lose the $5/week (he will get a $1/hour pay raise for getting the CDL...).  Meanwhile, my fiance says that every day he goes out for breakfast and usually grabs dinner, always has a Sheetz coffee cup with him, talks about going out drinking with the boys every week, smokes, etc.  He was saying it was too hard to make rent, and now he doesn't know what he'll do.  More in a defeated way than a feel-sorry-for-me way.  That guy doesn't have money problems, he has priority problems.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2826 on: June 06, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »

Haha, yes!  I work with a bunch of biologist types, so we're naturally wired to recycle and drive hybrid vehicles.  I do have a coworker who's rather unmustashian, but nowhere near the levels that many of these people take it to.  With a certain sector of my coworkers, big new trucks as daily drivers tends to be the biggest offense.  No one is into $4,000 handbags though, for sure.  I shop almost exclusively at TJ Maxx and I'm one of the best-dressed in the office (good to know I *could* wear Levi's almost every day and be fine).

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #2827 on: June 06, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »
I'm a SAHP, so an argument can be made the the grocery store is part of my workplace, right?

I was in line, putting my stuff up on the conveyor belt -- it was a lot of produce, with a few boxed items. The guy in front of me looks at my items, and mutters: "Must be nice to be able to afford that healthy stuff. I mean, the apples alone are, what, like $4?" Then the cashier started to ring up his stuff: a pre-made pie shell, a can of spray whipped cream, a couple of family-sized frozen dinners, and a 24-pack of cheap beer. And then he asks the cashier to get him down a pack of cigarettes.

It was like the punchline to a bad joke.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2828 on: June 06, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »
I'm a SAHP, so an argument can be made the the grocery store is part of my workplace, right?

I was in line, putting my stuff up on the conveyor belt -- it was a lot of produce, with a few boxed items. The guy in front of me looks at my items, and mutters: "Must be nice to be able to afford that healthy stuff. I mean, the apples alone are, what, like $4?" Then the cashier started to ring up his stuff: a pre-made pie shell, a can of spray whipped cream, a couple of family-sized frozen dinners, and a 24-pack of cheap beer. And then he asks the cashier to get him down a pack of cigarettes.

I have heard very similar lines from CWs about the cost of fresh produce.  I think the people that say this are just trying to justify not eating healthily.  GF and I eat very little that is packaged (frozen berries and oats come in packages but that's a grey area to me.) and while we do spend quite a bit on groceries we both feel we are eating a ton of very high quality, delicious, healthy, fresh food.  I think the health benefit easily offsets the labor cost of slicing up my veggies! =)

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2829 on: June 06, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

Just the idea of getting a 5-figure bonus makes me weak in the knees. I work for the Federal government as an attorney. At year-end, we do get "bonuses" but they're in the 3-figures, which is still better than a kick in the head. My aunt found out that we got a bonus and started complaining because that was her tax dollars, so why should a Federal employee get a bonus? God forbid we actually get rewarded individually for doing good work for the American people. I wanted to slap her. As an attorney, I'm not unionized, get zero overtime for doing work beyond 40 hours per week (which always happens), and am located in a city that was supposed to get locality pay last year because we make far less than the private sector, but didn't because the Office of Personnel Management failed to do the paperwork. So I'll take my $700, thank you.

not to mention that 3-year pay freeze!

Ah, don't get me started. I don't talk about the pay freeze or salary issues much in my real life because there are a lot of people I know who think Federal employees are all overpaid. Most aren't, if you look at what they could make in the private sector, especially any employee with a professional degree. Some are (secretarial work pays much better if you work for the Federal government), but for the most part we're not overpaid. Why I stay in my job is the environment (it's good here) and certain benefits and job security. My life quality is better even if my take-home pay is a lot less.  It does get frustrating when our salary becomes a political issue and whether it's an election year determines whether we'll get a cost-of-living increase or not (usually it's the "or not").

Going back to the point of this thread, I haven't had much to offer because there's not a ton of overspending by the people I work with. Most of the cars in the parking lot are several years old. I think the biggest vice for folks in my office is fast food... and driving. I live in a small city. It's not really bike-friendly, per se, but you can work it out. I bicycle to work, which most of the folks I work with think is really awesome, but which nobody else has decided to take on.

Actually, the biggest non-mustachian offender is my sister, but I don't really want to discuss her because if I ever point her here I'm afraid of her finding my posts. lol.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2830 on: June 06, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »

I have heard very similar lines from CWs about the cost of fresh produce.  I think the people that say this are just trying to justify not eating healthily.  GF and I eat very little that is packaged (frozen berries and oats come in packages but that's a grey area to me.) and while we do spend quite a bit on groceries we both feel we are eating a ton of very high quality, delicious, healthy, fresh food.  I think the health benefit easily offsets the labor cost of slicing up my veggies! =)

Yeah, it's sad. I started to eat a lot healthier and I did notice my grocery bill go up a bit. But the issue was never produce. The idea that produce is more expensive than boxed foods is false. For me, what costs more are the "specialty items" that I buy to make delicious healthy food that I like -- spices, unsweetened nut butters, higher-quality meats, raw honey, higher-quality dairy, etc. The produce is generally the cheapest part of my grocery bill, even if I buy organic (which I only do if it's one of the "dirty dozen"). I think people have gotten out of the habit of making produce a big part of their diet, so the produce to other foods ratio is skewed towards "other foods." If folks didn't buy the "specialty items" like I do, and stick to the basics in meat, cheese, whole grains, and then fill their basket with lots of vegetables and fruits, they would likely see their grocery bill remains about the same (or even go down).

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2831 on: June 06, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »
The idea that produce is more expensive than boxed foods is false.
The people manufacturing boxed foods generally pay the same wholesale price for the ingredients as the supermarket. It just doesn't make sense that you could save money by paying somebody to prepare your food and put it in a box for you.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #2832 on: June 06, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
The thing that really got to me about it was he wasn't even buying actual food! If it had been just the frozen dinners, I wouldn't have been so annoyed, and I can understand the argument. But to complain about price when you're mostly buying dessert, beer, and smokes! Talk about complainypants!

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2833 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
Yeah, it's sad. I started to eat a lot healthier and I did notice my grocery bill go up a bit. But the issue was never produce. The idea that produce is more expensive than boxed foods is false. For me, what costs more are the "specialty items" that I buy to make delicious healthy food that I like -- spices, unsweetened nut butters, higher-quality meats, raw honey, higher-quality dairy, etc. The produce is generally the cheapest part of my grocery bill, even if I buy organic (which I only do if it's one of the "dirty dozen"). I think people have gotten out of the habit of making produce a big part of their diet, so the produce to other foods ratio is skewed towards "other foods." If folks didn't buy the "specialty items" like I do, and stick to the basics in meat, cheese, whole grains, and then fill their basket with lots of vegetables and fruits, they would likely see their grocery bill remains about the same (or even go down).

I wasn't familiar with the "dirty dozen" but a quick googling shows that at least half of them are daily staples!  But we normally go by "buy organic if available and reasonable if the product doesn't have peel or is in contact with soils."

To bring back to topic:
I posted a while back about CW with a huge (5 figure) tax bill he complained about.  We've been working lots of OT and I came in a couple weeks ago to:
CW: So I just picked up my new gun! A 1911.
Me: Old school, right on.
CW: NEW old school!  Only $800!
Me: Wow.

I'm guessing he thought I was wowing at how cheap it was but given the complaints of costs of this and that and taxes, that seemed like a preposterous amount for, what is in his case, another toy.

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #2834 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
Way to flex those mustachian muscles, cdub... I hear u about unexpected expenses. My dog who I adopted ten yrs ago when I bought this house got hit by a car in Feb. She just had surgery number two yesterday.

Are u planning to stay here when u retire? I was born and raised here and I love the city and have extended family here but I think I want to try to relocate somewhere greener, with a little more rain/weather and, hopefully, an active mustachian community. Not to mention, houses are soooooo expensive here. My job is crazy stressful and I don't know that I want to work the extra yrs it would require to pay this house off when the equity could buy what I need outright elsewhere...

I was born back east (Maryland) and lived in Boston during my teenage to young adult years. That being said... I don't know.

I'm not looking to retire anytime soon because I really enjoy my job... (it's very creative) but I do want to become financially independent as soon as possible so I can pick and choose which gigs to take and not get stressed out about money. That is my real goal.

That being said... I do love it back east and by the time I become financially independent I'll be burnt out and want to stop working anyways. :)

I do have a crazy dream of living in the country eventually and having a small sheep farm for some reason. But that's just because I'm weird. (my grandmother raised sheep and sheep dogs)

I'm not sure if that'll ever happen. Or buying property in Europe and retiring there... We can all dream right?

But first step is saving a boatload and paying off this house.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2835 on: June 06, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »

Interesting perspective and thanks for the civil discourse on what is obviously the core topic of the whole community...I've seen less important topics degrade pretty quickly when opposing views come to a head.  I guess all we can say is that each of us will discover what it is like when we get there, and it is important to know that not everyday is sunshine and rainbows.

In an attempt to get back on topic, I can only add that I have very little to add...in my current workplace everyone here is pretty frugal with the office kitchen tables being crowded at lunch time most days and nary a car fancier than a Honda CRV in the parking lot.

I agree -- in fact I was entertaining the thought that viper may be a troll until this post.  I don't like to throw that term around lightly, but there was also that Dave Ramsey thread where he seemed a bit too antagonistic.  But I'm glad it's just a real difference of opinion, and hopefully we keep the discussion as rational as it's been.

And yes, I suspect most of my coworkers closet Mustachians (but of course we are in a bad situation with housing costs here in SF)

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2836 on: June 06, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »
We had a payroll glitch here at work this week, resulting in payroll hitting peoples bank accounts one day late. We are paid biweekly. The uproar it caused was eye opening. So much bitching and moaning of not being able to pay bills etc.  The company has been offering to pay everyone's overdraft fees and late fees incurred as a result, and today they had lunch brought in for the whole company. I'm grateful for the lunch, but disturbed by how much of an issue it is for so many people if their pay arrives one day later than usual.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #2837 on: June 06, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »
how much of an issue it is for so many people if their pay arrives one day later than usual.
I have a paycheck still waiting from April. (Apparently I did too much overtime and they have to amend my contract. Also, they just asked me to do more overtime.) I'll get it sooner or later, so no big deal. Also, something like 80% of the country earns more than me.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2838 on: June 06, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
Back story:
I am with a couple Marines. The Ellen Show is on, featuring a woman that has children and needs to get food from a food bank. Ellen presents her with a $10,000 check.

Marine: "What do you want to bet that she still goes to the food bank? I want to write to Ellen and say that I'm a deployed and making less than the average American and she should give me $10,000."

Same guy, a minute later:
"Getting married for the money is stupid! I have a $41,000 car and I'm only a few thousand from paying it off."
Me: "$41,000? What kind of car is it?"
Marine: "A Dodge Challenger, it's good because it has a HEMI."

He has been in about 2 years. If the above statement is true, that means he has spent the majority of the money he has earned in the military on his car and car related costs.

Aren't you currently deployed? If so, that means he spent most of his 2 years of wages on a vehicle that is 10,000 miles away from where he is currently working. WOW.

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2839 on: June 06, 2014, 02:02:22 PM »
We had a payroll glitch here at work this week, resulting in payroll hitting peoples bank accounts one day late. We are paid biweekly. The uproar it caused was eye opening. So much bitching and moaning of not being able to pay bills etc.  The company has been offering to pay everyone's overdraft fees and late fees incurred as a result, and today they had lunch brought in for the whole company. I'm grateful for the lunch, but disturbed by how much of an issue it is for so many people if their pay arrives one day later than usual.

My wife and I are constantly dumbfounded by the number of people that live paycheck to paycheck and "NEED" to get their paycheck on time. It's just absurd. They all need good MMM punches to the face.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2840 on: June 06, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »

My wife and I are constantly dumbfounded by the number of people that live paycheck to paycheck and "NEED" to get their paycheck on time. It's just absurd. They all need good MMM punches to the face.

Eh, you might hear me complaining if my deposit came late.  I usually structure my financial life expecting those payments (reasonably, given that my employer is obligated to make those payments at that time).  Sure, I could move some stuff around to juggle a missed payment, but I might incur an overdraft fee somewhere and it's kinda a pain in the ass.  So in a sense, I NEED that payment.

lsaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2841 on: June 06, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
I'm the new girl at work (county government, engineering department). I've gone out to lunch with my co-workers twice. I'm still getting to know my fellow engineers so I don't know all the back stories but one co-worker (CW1) tells some concerning stories about her finances. She is 50ish, single, no kids, engineering manager (she is probably making 95k plus)

First time we went out to lunch we rode in her car.  It's a new, cute, shiny, convertible VW something and she mentioned that she borrowed from her retirement accounts to pay for it.  I don't get it, she lives blocks from me and I don't even have a car, I ride my bike or take the bus.

The second time we went to lunch another co-worker (CW2) told a story about how upset her mom was that she couldn't reconcile her budget so CW2 suggested to her mom that she just add a reconcile line item, her mom was horrified at the suggestion.  I understand the feeling :), it drives me batty when my budget doesn't reconcile.  Anyway, CW1 tells us that she sat down last night to work through all her finances because she was getting sick of living paycheck to paycheck. She is an engineer, simple budget math should be well within her skill set. It's great she is looking at her finances but it has to be discouraging to have worked in engineering for 25+ years and still be living paycheck to paycheck.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #2842 on: June 06, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »

Eh, you might hear me complaining if my deposit came late.  I usually structure my financial life expecting those payments (reasonably, given that my employer is obligated to make those payments at that time).  Sure, I could move some stuff around to juggle a missed payment, but I might incur an overdraft fee somewhere and it's kinda a pain in the ass.  So in a sense, I NEED that payment.

My company doesn't offer direct deposit. We have two teams. Each team is at a different client each week. Because we don't have direct deposit, our paychecks are often given to us later than the day we are suppose to be paid. When I first started working for the company, I wasn't aware of this and would get really frustrated. But now I just expect it and don't rely on it. When we hire new employees, I make sure to point out to them that their paychecks will often be given to them a day or two later than the date on the check so plan accordingly.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2843 on: June 06, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »

Wouldn't it be safer to keep a few thousand or a month or 2 worth of expenses in checking? I don't see a large benefit to keeping your finances so "tight".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2844 on: June 06, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »

Wouldn't it be safer to keep a few thousand or a month or 2 worth of expenses in checking? I don't see a large benefit to keeping your finances so "tight".

There's also no downside... never been a problem in many years.  Even if it happened once, the $15 overdraft would be far less than the opportunity cost of a few thousand over all the years it never happened.  Of course, the timing would have to coincide perfectly... the above is not to say I keep exactly $1 in checking at all times.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2845 on: June 06, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »
I have a CW that just bought a pick up. Jacked up, leather seats, big rims, new tires, tv monitors.... His payments on it are $600/month and the kicker, he got it with 100,000 miles already on it.

Boggles the mind.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2846 on: June 06, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »
a lot of people I know who think Federal employees are all overpaid. Most aren't, if you look at what they could make in the private sector, especially any employee with a professional degree. Some are (secretarial work pays much better if you work for the Federal government)

Interesting that you bring this up.  I also work in a federal facility, and the only blinged out SUV in the parking garage belongs to one of our newly hired clerical people.  All of the old 50-something PhDs making 90k/year bike or bus to work.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2847 on: June 06, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »
My federal parking lot is chock full of big gas-guzzling trucks.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2848 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
    I wish you all luck.

I think this speaks more to your personality than anything.  My stepfather retired at 55.  He's 67, blissfully happy.  (At least he was until my mother died.)

Personally, I plan to work for a very long time, because I worry about boredom.  I have plenty of hobbies, etc.  But I still like to work!  Or maybe I'll retire and just be a grandma (but only if my kids don't wait as long as I do!  Will be 60 when the youngest finishes HS).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2849 on: June 06, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »

Ouch, this makes me cringe!  I'd say it's an "age" thing (I'm almost 44), but most of my female coworkers who are 24-26 bring their lunches, drive old cars, dress casually, and are frugal!  Ok, I am an engineer, but the receptionist isn't and she's the same way.