Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252657 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7450 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:14 AM »
I prefer to trade sexual favours rather than cash for a hair cut.  This works best if your wife is cutting your hair though. . .

*insert joke about 'the tip' here*

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7451 on: March 25, 2015, 09:06:31 AM »
and that is why steve is perma banned from borics.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7452 on: March 25, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »
People at work were talking about budgeting. Some people had sound advice, some people felt like they could barely make ends meet (on 80k in a semi-rural area???!!!).

I said "we just use the 'don't buy shit we don't need' method".

One of my coworkers said "Man, if I could only get my husband to agree with that, we would probably be really well off."

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7453 on: March 25, 2015, 09:11:45 AM »
All this haircut talk reminds me of an snl I watched on netflix recently.  Seth meyers was doing the weekend update...

Forbes released their annual list of the 400 richest Americans, with Bill Gates at the top of the list with $59 billion. Man, it really is amazing how much money you can save when you cut your own hair!

My wife cuts my hair.  She didn't want to, until I made a spread sheet and showed her how much money we could save if she just buzzed my hair every couple months, and then she was convinced.   We had a good laugh at that joke.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7454 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »
Another gem from the woman who brought you "I need a three bedroom house for me and my dog".

Speaking to a woman who just got back from maternity leave: "You and [husband] aren't trying to be all domesticated and trying to make your own baby food, are you?"

Response: "Hell no! Do you know who you're talking to?!" [i.e. woman who doesn't eat anything that isn't packaged]

Followed by a discussion of how packaged baby food is better than homemade because babies can digest it more easily.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7455 on: March 25, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
Another gem from the woman who brought you "I need a three bedroom house for me and my dog".

Speaking to a woman who just got back from maternity leave: "You and [husband] aren't trying to be all domesticated and trying to make your own baby food, are you?"

Response: "Hell no! Do you know who you're talking to?!" [i.e. woman who doesn't eat anything that isn't packaged]

Followed by a discussion of how packaged baby food is better than homemade because babies can digest it more easily.
Oh, ye gads.
Heavens, no.
Anything but "domesticated".

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7456 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »
I have to jump in just to comment on the hair salon tipping.  I used to be a total cheapskate with my stylist tip amounts.  I found an amazing stylist and the first time she did my hair, I tipped her like 50%.  It is just a cut and style.  The next time I went their she gave me 50% off my cut, so I tipped her big again.  She has since NEVER charged me full price for a cut and style.  It turned out actually saving me money by tipping largely.

1st visit - $30 cut and $15 tip = $45
2nd visit - $15 cut and $15 tip = $30
3rd and all visitis since - $10 cut and $15 tip = $25

she is making the same and I'm paying less.  WIN/WIN

Looks like she is making less

Useful bit of info that I inadvertently left off....she's paid hourly and gets to keep tips.  The salon keeps the $$ from the cuts.
Now it just sounds like tax evasion. :p

Why would this imply tax evasion?  I write the tip on my credit card slip and just like every other tipping job, she would have to claim her tips as income. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7457 on: March 25, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
I have to jump in just to comment on the hair salon tipping.  I used to be a total cheapskate with my stylist tip amounts.  I found an amazing stylist and the first time she did my hair, I tipped her like 50%.  It is just a cut and style.  The next time I went their she gave me 50% off my cut, so I tipped her big again.  She has since NEVER charged me full price for a cut and style.  It turned out actually saving me money by tipping largely.

1st visit - $30 cut and $15 tip = $45
2nd visit - $15 cut and $15 tip = $30
3rd and all visitis since - $10 cut and $15 tip = $25

she is making the same and I'm paying less.  WIN/WIN

Looks like she is making less

Useful bit of info that I inadvertently left off....she's paid hourly and gets to keep tips.  The salon keeps the $$ from the cuts.
Now it just sounds like tax evasion. :p

Why would this imply tax evasion?  I write the tip on my credit card slip and just like every other tipping job, she would have to claim her tips as income.

If anything, it's skimming.  Presumably, she owes $30 to the salon for every cut (you said the salon keeps the money from the cuts).  So why would they allow her to arbitrarily lower the price to $15?  Unless they have a really lax arrangement, I'd say she's screwing the salon and pocketing the difference.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7458 on: March 25, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

Oh, ye gads.
Heavens, no.
Anything but "domesticated".

How did the human species ever get by before Gerber?

Melchior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7459 on: March 25, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
How did the human species ever get by before Gerber?

We've come so far since our species' domestication.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #7460 on: March 25, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »
My colleagues are paid only in commission on sales and are exposed to potential chargebacks if there are early cancellations. Naturally their pay varies from week to week with outlying weeks where they make a fortune and others where they're left owing. My response to that scenario would be to work out roughly what I make on average and then bank the good weeks to cover for the bad. The strategy chiefly employed here seems to be to splurge and treat yourself (and others who are having bad weeks) to lunches, presents and general consumables when you make a good cheque ("If I could make these every time they my annual takehome would be.... hold on... wow I don't even have that many fingers, a very high number. Better increase my spending to compensate.") and to rely on colleagues and request that I manipulate forwards chargebacks into future pay periods on the bad weeks.

Not hating, my colleagues are all lovely, but after the first few times you would think they'd learn to anticipate this happening. I help them out by manipulating payroll dates as much as I can, with their consent of course, but unless I started withholding and rationing their pay there is only so much I can do.

Oh, and my favourite quote after an appointment with a potential client decided to cancel.

"Better that he cancels on you now than having him fund and taking the chance that he cancels after you've already spent the commission"

That's right, it's better to not get paid than to get paid with a chance that you'll have to pay it back because obviously you'll have spent that money by then.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:30:54 PM by dsmexpat »

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #7461 on: March 26, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
Our office is held hostage to the eternal round of birthday/leaving presents. It feels like every second week we all have to chip in to pay for an extravagant present for someone.

The latest one was a birthday - I contributed a fiver, assuming most people contributed at least the same, they would have raised over £100 for the present.

The ladies in charge of the kitty went ahead and spent it all on a designer bracelet.

I mean, I'm sure the colleague loves her birthday bracelet.

But that was a very efficient way to collect and then waste £100. ARRGH. If only I was brave enough to call bullshit on this whole thing!!

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #7462 on: March 26, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
Our office is held hostage to the eternal round of birthday/leaving presents. It feels like every second week we all have to chip in to pay for an extravagant present for someone.

The latest one was a birthday - I contributed a fiver, assuming most people contributed at least the same, they would have raised over £100 for the present.

The ladies in charge of the kitty went ahead and spent it all on a designer bracelet.

But that was a very efficient way to collect and then waste £100. ARRGH. If only I was brave enough to call bullshit on this whole thing!!

i find it strange when people give money away, then gripe about how it was spent.

so do you only support certain gifts, or is it the amount?

so you have two options stop giving money and buy something yourself. or just stop giving money.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #7463 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:03 AM »
Got one that finally isn't poking fun at people (I always feel bad for the way so many of my CWs spend!)

CW: You and your wife must be saving tons every month!  You can't buy an Xbox without feeling bad!
Me: I didn't feel THAT bad about buying my PS4.
CW: Seriously, I hope you just buy something totally awesome and don't say anything and show up one day with it.
Me: I'm just going to never come to work again!
CW: !! Well, just call me and let me know.

Really wanted to say I'm buying my freedom everyday worked but didn't want to have to explain that one.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7464 on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »

i find it strange when people give money away, then gripe about how it was spent.

so you have two options stop giving money and buy something yourself. or just stop giving money.

Office gifts are the most annoying thing ever. People know enough not to ask me now. I actually don't even go to the stupid little "celebrations" where there is cake and crap so I'm not seen to be mooching or anything, even if it's company sponsored.

The worst part is that it's not like anyone here are paid very low and giving them a gift could really help them out. We all make > 100k a year. If anyone wants anything they already go and buy it! These people just add useless crap on top.

My go-to line when someone asks is "Oh, can they not afford item X?" then hilarity/awkwardness ensues.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #7465 on: March 26, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »

Yeah, well that's why I said at the end that it's my fault really for not being brave enough to call bullshit on this whole thing. I.e I know it's a load of rubbish but damn, rather than standing up to them I still give them money.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7466 on: March 26, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
"I count on our bonus to pay off the credit card bills I rack up the rest of the year."

Uh, bonuses aren't guaranteed. That's probably not a great plan.

catmustache

• Stubble
  • I jumped out of a plane once. So there's that.
« Reply #7467 on: March 26, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
Almost had a nervous breakdown when I heard "I just need to work for 10 more years so that we can count on the maximum amount of social security." I can't imagine working this job for 20 years without wanting to crack my skull open on a cubicle.

catmustache

• Stubble
  • I jumped out of a plane once. So there's that.
« Reply #7468 on: March 26, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
To clarify, this was immediately after a conversation about how much the job itself was terrible.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7469 on: March 27, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »
Not my work, but a story that my So shared about her workplace last night.

There is a gentleman, that is in charge of the business finances, and has a finance degree.  I know, I know enough said right...

Finance guy - Well, there is no point in saving for retirement, it is just a waste of money.
SO - Oh?  How do you propose to quite working, and enjoy your life some day?
Finance guy - Well, that is what the government is for.  They will take care of me when I get older and need to be taken care of.
SO, to me - this is the guy that is supposed to be making sure the business I work at is finically viable... maybe I need to speed up FIRE.

In Canada max CPP is $1065/month
                        Old age security max - $565

That is $1630 a month.

This guy rents a condo, average rent for a two bedroom condo in Regina is(according to goolge) - $1564 - I could not find rates on a three bedroom, which is what he has.

Total savings = 0...   Good luck.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7470 on: March 27, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »

There is a gentleman, that is in charge of the business finances, and has a finance degree.  I know, I know enough said right...

Finance guy - Well, there is no point in saving for retirement, it is just a waste of money.
Finance guy - Well, that is what the government is for.  They will take care of me when I get older and need to be taken care of.
SO, to me - this is the guy that is supposed to be making sure the business I work at is finically viable... maybe I need to speed up FIRE.

That is $1630 a month.

This guy rents a condo, average rent for a two bedroom condo in Regina is(according to goolge) - $1564 - I could not find rates on a three bedroom, which is what he has.

Can anyone here tell me what the fuck they actually teach in finance classes? Aside from like, fucking math, which I would assume people already know?
All these anecdotes in the AMWOSAC about financially retarded financial advisors are giving me a really distorted view of things. I'd hate to think the only skill imparted by the degree is fleecing people of their hard-earned cash by sounding smart with obscure fiscal jargon, so you can do even dumber shit with that money after stealing it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7471 on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »

That is $1630 a month.

Can anyone here tell me what the fuck they actually teach in finance classes? Aside from like, fucking math, which I would assume people already know?
All these anecdotes in the AMWOSAC about financially retarded financial advisors are giving me a really distorted view of things. I'd hate to think the only skill imparted by the degree is fleecing people of their hard-earned cash by sounding smart with obscure fiscal jargon, so you can do even dumber shit with that money after stealing it.

I was an accounting major and took a couple of finance classes. They didn't cover things like personal finance.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7472 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »
Can anyone here tell me what the fuck they actually teach in finance classes?

Have an accounting degree, not finance, but we did have to take some finance classes.  All we learned was how to read financial statements of a company and what the different ratios mean like Current Ratio and Dividend Yield.  Unfortunately not much of it translated directly into personal finance, or at least the correlations were never discussed, as that wasn't the point of the classes.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #7473 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »

That is $1630 a month.

I was an accounting major and took a couple of finance classes. They didn't cover things like personal finance.
Anecdotal evidence seems to be showing this...

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #7474 on: March 27, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »

Not distorted, but the truth.  I majored in mathematical finance and I would say a good 80% of people in my program are outright assholes and wouldn't think twice about fleecing money from clients.    I of course was in the 20% :) 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7475 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »
Can anyone here tell me what the fuck they actually teach in finance classes?

Have an accounting degree, not finance, but we did have to take some finance classes.  All we learned was how to read financial statements of a company and what the different ratios mean like Current Ratio and Dividend Yield.  Unfortunately not much of it translated directly into personal finance, or at least the correlations were never discussed, as that wasn't the point of the classes.
It seems like the correlation should be pretty self-evident, though. If you're trained to analyze the effectiveness of a business in terms of its cash flow and current holdings, it can't be that much of a leap to look at your own accounts and optimize the results. It's like when I studied physics and realized its applications in sports, driving cars, building houses, you name it - it just came naturally.

I get that business finance != personal finance, but it's weird to me that people with no financial training of any kind would do better than trained advisors. Look at me - I'm not even a good Mustachian - my list of ongoing dumb shit is too long to post - but I will probably achieve FIRE a decade from my personal ground zero, and that's counting three years of half-assed floundering where I nearly bottomed out again. And I know nothing beyond what I've read on the internet and figured out from trial and error.

Eh, I dunno. I guess it may be less about knowledge and more about orientation/motivation. If they assume they can earn six figures for as long as they want, it may just seem that none of this stuff we do is important enough to be worth a thought, let alone actual effort.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7476 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
A long time ago I worked at a startup company with a pretty decent percentage of smart people. Oddly, the company paid us on the final day of a two week pay period, instead of two weeks later, which was the standard at the time. That was weird because they had to get the paychecks ready before they actually knew if we had worked the whole two weeks.

At some point, the company wanted to switch from paying people on the final day of the same pay period to paying two weeks later. Management realized this would cause a two-week gap in peoples' cash flow, so they decided to extend everyone an interest-free loan in the amount of one paycheck, that they would receive when they would normally have received their paycheck on the day we'd be missing one. The loan wouldn't have to be paid back until the employee left the company. Sort of a replacement paycheck that you could keep until you left. Before the change, if someone left, they immediately stopped getting paid at the end of the current period. After the change, they'd still get one more paycheck after the current period ended.

So the company was basically making the change smooth and transparent to the employees while giving them a slightly nicely advantaged chunk of money to use at no cost for as long as they stayed employed there.

Whoa. You should have seen peoples' reactions. Several people just could not understand what was going on, and although this company treated us all very well (there were only seventeen of us and we all knew each other), they had a knee-jerk reaction of distrust. I remember sitting in a conference room with everyone, exasperated with how silly some people were being and trying to keep my mouth shut. Even after examples were laid out in front of them showing that "before" and "after" were equivalent, they insisted that the owner was trying to short them somehow. I was in my mid-20's. That was a big lesson for me in how arithmetic-challenged many people are.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7477 on: March 27, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »
A conversation between me and a co-worker today:

CW:  Cute TOMS!! I haven't seen those yet!
sidenote: (Toms are a brand of shoes that are out of my preferred price range, but I like the style and bought this particular pair for $9.90 total on clearance)
Me:  Oh, thanks! They're not Toms though, I got them at *local department store*
CW: What brand are they?
Me: I don't remember, but they were only $10 on clearance.
CW: (pointing down to her shoes, which are actual Toms) Oh wow! These were like $100! Well, probably $89, but with shipping.
Me:  ...blink blink......awkward silence...

These shoes are literally a piece of foam, some cute fabric, and some elastic stitched together. The $10 price I paid makes sense to me, but how can they actually charge $100 for them!? I was actually speechless. I had nothing to offer her...at all. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:59:33 PM by ILoveMyBlondeStache »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7478 on: March 27, 2015, 01:22:46 PM »
Well Toms does do the one for one thing, so you are paying for two pairs of shoes.

I don't know what brand you got, but most cheap brands are made in factories that don't necessarily pay living wages, and I know Toms is very particular about who manufacturers their shoes because of their mission, so that likely adds costs too.

The standard style is also only $60 (the boots are $89) and shipping (from them) is free over $25.
Not a price I pay for shoes, but really not outrageous for two pairs ethically sourced.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:26:21 PM by iowajes »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7479 on: March 27, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
Well Toms does do the one for one thing, so you are paying for two pairs of shoes.

I don't know what brand you got, but most cheap brands are made in factories that don't necessarily pay living wages, and I know Toms is very particular about who manufacturers their shoes because of their mission, so that likely adds costs too.

The standard style is also only $60 (the boots are $89) and shipping (from them) is free over $25.
Not a price I pay for shoes, but really not outrageous for two pairs ethically sourced.

I don't know as much about Toms, but I am starting to see the light in paying for good quality shoes. Growing up I always got whatever was on clearance at Kohl's that fit and felt comfortable, but of course it didn't take long for them to not be as comfortable. I'm now tempted to start shopping at higher end places cause I spend a lot of time on my feet and as a runner, I do want to take care of my feet.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #7480 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
It seems like most of my CW are semi-Mustachians (is that a thing), in that they all drive older model cars and bring their lunches to work. However, the few anti-Mustachians more than make up for it:

CW: What kind of vacuum cleaner do you have?
Me: I have a Dyson (bought before I discovered MMM and was a consumerist sucka). Why? Are you looking for a new vacuum?
CW: Yes. Mine isn't that old, but it's making a really weird and loud noise when I use it.
Me: Why don't you look for a vacuum machine repair shop? There's bound to be one in your area.
CW: I hadn't thought of that, that's a good idea!

Fast forward a few weeks. I had remembered to ask a follow up about the vacuum:

Me: Did you ever find a vacuum repair shop?
CW: No, I had my eye on this one vacuum cleaner. I found it at (discount box store) on a discount, and I had a coupon. I wound up getting the $300 vaccum for $63.00! I don't know what I'm going to do with my old one, though.

Granted, that is a good discount. But chances are the repair on her two-ish year old vacuum would likely have been less than she paid for the new vacuum.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7481 on: March 27, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
CW: Yes. Mine isn't that old, but it's making a really weird and loud noise when I use it.

Sounds like it has something stuck in the hose!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #7482 on: March 27, 2015, 01:55:04 PM »

I just got a pair of $275 Redwing boots, luckily the company I work for gave me a voucher for $250 so I paid $25. The last pair I got lasted me over two years till I finally wore a hole in the side. I keep them at home for yardwork now (I work 6 days a week) They are steel toed and waterproof, they oil them for you for free and you get replacement laces for life. In my industry it is all about function not fashion and they are so comfortable. Worth the $25 easy. If I had to pay the whole thing out of pocket I most likely would as well.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #7483 on: March 27, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
A coworker just admitted to spending $600 on utilities per month. And he said it in an indifferent tone, as if it's something everyone does.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7484 on: March 27, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »

TOMS  buy-one-give-one model has incurred a fair amount of criticism, but it looks like they are working on some aspects of that criticism...still, not sure it's enough.
http://www.whydev.org/some-bad-news-about-toms-shoes/
http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-10-08/toms-shoes-rethinks-its-buy-one-give-one-model-helping-needy

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7485 on: March 27, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
A coworker just admitted to spending $600 on utilities per month. And he said it in an indifferent tone, as if it's something everyone does.

WTF. His utilites are more than my rent + utilites - I just signed a sublease contract for a place that's $500 for rent + utilties. Now granted, it's a 2 bedroom unit so I have a roommate, but still that's ridiculous.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7486 on: March 27, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
A long time ago I worked at a startup company with a pretty decent percentage of smart people. Oddly, the company paid us on the final day of a two week pay period, instead of two weeks later, which was the standard at the time. That was weird because they had to get the paychecks ready before they actually knew if we had worked the whole two weeks.

At some point, the company wanted to switch from paying people on the final day of the same pay period to paying two weeks later. Management realized this would cause a two-week gap in peoples' cash flow, so they decided to extend everyone an interest-free loan in the amount of one paycheck, that they would receive when they would normally have received their paycheck on the day we'd be missing one. The loan wouldn't have to be paid back until the employee left the company. Sort of a replacement paycheck that you could keep until you left. Before the change, if someone left, they immediately stopped getting paid at the end of the current period. After the change, they'd still get one more paycheck after the current period ended.

So the company was basically making the change smooth and transparent to the employees while giving them a slightly nicely advantaged chunk of money to use at no cost for as long as they stayed employed there.

Whoa. You should have seen peoples' reactions. Several people just could not understand what was going on, and although this company treated us all very well (there were only seventeen of us and we all knew each other), they had a knee-jerk reaction of distrust. I remember sitting in a conference room with everyone, exasperated with how silly some people were being and trying to keep my mouth shut. Even after examples were laid out in front of them showing that "before" and "after" were equivalent, they insisted that the owner was trying to short them somehow. I was in my mid-20's. That was a big lesson for me in how arithmetic-challenged many people are.

I probably would not have been able to hold my tongue at that point.

It really bothers me that it's okay in this country to say proudly "I've always been bad at math." Why is this acceptable?? Ugh.

Adventure Chick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7487 on: March 28, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »
A girl I know shows off her new hair extensions and mentions that they are "only $350" (this girl makes maybe $24k AUD/year at most). They came out really nice but it's a "shame they'll only last for like a month" before they have to be replaced.

She mentions that she lives in a $1200/month apartment to SHARE -- so she and her boyfriend are only renting a room total and bills are not included in this.

Anyways, Monday she tells me she is really stressed because she only has $135 total to her name ("but at least I don't have student loans like you do!")

Today she and her boyfriend are having lunch with me and they both talk about the idea of going bowling tonight and having a few drinks afterward. They both pull out their phones and check their bank accounts, finding that they have about $90 total combined. YES. $90. The girl says, "sweet we have enough to go bowling -- it's like $50." And the guy says, "then I'll even have some money left over to fill up the gas tank!"

I mentioned that this sounds freaking stressful.

The girl says, "well at least I don't have student loans..."

Aye, that's true. But I sense a financial fiasco in the future.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7488 on: March 28, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »
It seems like most of my CW are semi-Mustachians (is that a thing), in that they all drive older model cars and bring their lunches to work. However, the few anti-Mustachians more than make up for it:

Me: I have a Dyson (bought before I discovered MMM and was a consumerist sucka). Why? Are you looking for a new vacuum?
Me: Why don't you look for a vacuum machine repair shop? There's bound to be one in your area.

CW: No, I had my eye on this one vacuum cleaner. I found it at (discount box store) on a discount, and I had a coupon. I wound up getting the $300 vaccum for $63.00! I don't know what I'm going to do with my old one, though.

Granted, that is a good discount. But chances are the repair on her two-ish year old vacuum would likely have been less than she paid for the new vacuum.
I have a Cheapo China one that cost 30€ (normal price) for about 15 years now.
Of course its only used once per week for about 30m² if you deduct all places where something stands.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7489 on: March 28, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
A girl I know shows off her new hair extensions and mentions that they are "only $350" (this girl makes maybe $24k AUD/year at most). They came out really nice but it's a "shame they'll only last for like a month" before they have to be replaced.

She mentions that she lives in a $1200/month apartment to SHARE -- so she and her boyfriend are only renting a room total and bills are not included in this.

Anyways, Monday she tells me she is really stressed because she only has $135 total to her name ("but at least I don't have student loans like you do!")

Today she and her boyfriend are having lunch with me and they both talk about the idea of going bowling tonight and having a few drinks afterward. They both pull out their phones and check their bank accounts, finding that they have about $90 total combined. YES. $90. The girl says, "sweet we have enough to go bowling -- it's like $50." And the guy says, "then I'll even have some money left over to fill up the gas tank!"

Crazy
I feel like this must be like watching a movie where you know the train bridge is out up ahead, but the passengers on the train have no idea.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7490 on: March 28, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »

I agree it was dumb not to get it fixed, even just to sell it again, but $63 for a new Vacuum is most likely close to what she would have paid for the repair costs, even if it was super simple, they charge for the appt. My last repair was $119, but the handle had to be replaced, I did get it refunded, because I argued (nicely) that the company should still be covering the handle.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7491 on: March 28, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
I agree it was dumb not to get it fixed, even just to sell it again, but $63 for a new Vacuum is most likely close to what she would have paid for the repair costs, even if it was super simple, they charge for the appt. My last repair was $119, but the handle had to be replaced, I did get it refunded, because I argued (nicely) that the company should still be covering the handle.

A surprisingly large number of companies are open to reimbursement/replacement if you call and act cordial or reasonable.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #7492 on: March 28, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »

A surprisingly large number of companies are open to reimbursement/replacement if you call and act cordial or reasonable.

Right? I suppose I balked more at the idea that she was going to throw out her perfectly-fixable, not-that-old vacuum. I actually thought about asking her for her old one, so my lazy arse wouldn't have to drag my heavy machine up and down the three floors in my house! If it was going to the landfill anyway, what's the harm? DH and I are handy and could likely fix the machine for a $10 or $20 part.

[Edit: added part about fixing it ourselves]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:31:14 PM by Geostache »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7493 on: March 28, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if it just needs to have the beater bar and belts taken apart and cleaned or something simple like that.

Right? I suppose I balked more at the idea that she was going to throw out her perfectly-fixable, not-that-old vacuum. I actually thought about asking her for her old one, so my lazy arse wouldn't have to drag my heavy machine up and down the three floors in my house! If it was going to the landfill anyway, what's the harm? DH and I are handy and could likely fix the machine for a $10 or $20 part.

[Edit: added part about fixing it ourselves]

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7494 on: March 30, 2015, 03:43:11 AM »
... and you get replacement laces for life.
Excellent service. I once had a pair of hiking boots that lasted for about three years but they had a hook-type thing rather than an eye at the very top and the trouble was that it had quite a sharp edge and wore down laces really, really quickly. After the second year I realised I had already spent more on laces than I had for the boots in the first place. I was very glad when the soles starting going and rather than get them resoled, I found a new pair. Which don't have the same problem.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7495 on: March 30, 2015, 06:00:03 AM »

I'm guessing she also doesn't have a degree?
Best $23K I ever spent!!! Paid for itself many times over. Pre degree salary ($30K inc super), current $120K. I might be at $50-60k now without the degree. Payback period on my investment was less than 2 years (moving from $30K to 50K just by getting the degree) and it keeps giving back every year, and I'm only 4 years out. A sensibly sized student loan for a degree with solid employment prospects is generally not a bad idea. A $100k drama degree very well might be unless you become the next drew barrymore.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7496 on: March 30, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »

Take it for free, repair it (or get it repaired), and re-sell it on craigslist!

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #7497 on: March 30, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »
A $100k drama degree very well might be unless you become the next drew barrymore.

Well to become the next Drew Barrymore, first you'd have to born into a family that already has a legacy in Hollywood and get cast in your first major motion picture before you're 10 years old. No degree needed. ;)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7498 on: March 30, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
Ha ha ha cheers. Can you tell I don't follow pop culture much!!!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7499 on: March 31, 2015, 02:03:52 AM »
Ha ha! Sorry for scaring everyone! I didn't realise it was on a different day across the pond.

I do have another funny thing to share from work, though, to make up for it.

We all know what FU means here, but at work it means 'follow up'. So we have FU letters, FU meetings, FU dates... all the time! And it makes me giggle every single time. I can't be the only one who haas this!

It has the same meaning at my work. We have two clinics as well, one for long term follow up, and one for short term... yep, STFU.

And the local university changed it's name a few years back to Federation University. The kids love walking around in sweatshirts with FU on them. :)