Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253354 times)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6000 on: December 19, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
To multiple people in the last dozen posts: Mint.com is different from the Linux Mint Distribution.  That might clear up some of your confusion.  :)

Damn it, why'd you have to say anything. I was about to go and swap the two out back and forth in the same paragraph.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #6001 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »
Asked a coworker what he was up to for the weekend. He told me that he was actually going on vacation the next week.

When I pressed for details, I learned that he was flying across the country to Portland OR to go car shopping with his 30-yo married daughter and buy her a car!

We're in engineering, and I'm sure he makes decent money, but wow. Way to set your daughter up to succeed on her own.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #6002 on: December 19, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
On the way home from work I saw THREE cars with bows on them.  My first instinct was to assume they're Christmas gifts, but I'm going to give people the benefit of the doubt this time and assume they're just being festive. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6003 on: December 19, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »
On the way home from work I saw THREE cars with bows on them.  My first instinct was to assume they're Christmas gifts, but I'm going to give people the benefit of the doubt this time and assume they're just being festive.

Yep, likely festive. Some folks here put a wreath on the front grill.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #6004 on: December 19, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
Well, I got called a "minimalist" at work today. It actually hurt more than I thought. My mental strength just isn't what I thought it was. I have had to defend myself before or deflect some thing before, but this one hurt because it was nonchalant and not actually spoken directly to me.

(Enough complainy pants)

We got paid our end of the year bonuses today. Same coworker mentioned above says he is going to go rob his bank. (We had a good year within our company.) He also complained over lunch all the bs extra taxes taken out on bonuses. I have tried explaining before that you get that money back anyway based on your actual income and federal tax brackets, but it falls on deaf ears. I guess I am just the happy little minimalist.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #6005 on: December 19, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »
Well, I got called a "minimalist" at work today. It actually hurt more than I thought. My mental strength just isn't what I thought it was. I have had to defend myself before or deflect some thing before, but this one hurt because it was nonchalant and not actually spoken directly to me.

(Enough complainy pants)

We got paid our end of the year bonuses today. Same coworker mentioned above says he is going to go rob his bank. (We had a good year within our company.) He also complained over lunch all the bs extra taxes taken out on bonuses. I have tried explaining before that you get that money back anyway based on your actual income and federal tax brackets, but it falls on deaf ears. I guess I am just the happy little minimalist.

I'd have looked them IN THE EYE, and said: "DAMN STRAIGHT"! Then keep looking at them without saying another word until they slinked off...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6006 on: December 19, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »

Yep, it's a smart idea, just like buying a length of cast-iron pipe is a smart idea if you frequently stick your dick in a wood-chipper.

great fkng line, and I'm totally stealing it for future use!

This line is so fkng great indeed!

But I rushed to buy a cast-iron pipe just in case of my dick get stuck anywhere :/

If it gets stuck somewhere (I.e. Cannot extra ate), then you need a crowbar.
If you are sticking it somewhere hazardous (i.e., wood chipper line of fire), then you need th cast iron pipe.

Man, it´s getting worst. Maybe I should carry both (crow bar & cast iron pipe) just in case. And Maybe a fork if I have a zipper issue.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #6007 on: December 20, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »

That makes me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5kwJ7eJSo

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #6008 on: December 20, 2014, 06:04:16 AM »
I had three people ask me today if I thought we were going to get our yearly bonuses, since today is payday. They were all extremely upset that we didn't get them after the day was over. I thought about asking why they were so upset, but I'm sure they expected that money today and had made plans to spend it for Christmas.

I mentioned to a CW that our salary is usually in the bank around 10pm the night before pay day (found out by chance and now I start my money shuffle a day early :) ). Next thing she's on the phone to her mother who also works with us and they're arranging to meet outside Asda at 10pm............ Is it wrong of me to sort of hope they get to the till with shed loads of junk food (which is what they live on) and can't pay for it?

Man, it´s getting worst. Maybe I should carry both (crow bar & cast iron pipe) just in case. And Maybe a fork if I have a zipper issue.
And some local anesthetic?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6009 on: December 20, 2014, 06:08:13 AM »

I've never seen this before! But we get snow here, so plush decorations would only last one year.

With a parking ticket?

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6010 on: December 20, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »
In Québec, there is volunteers doing this with their car for drunk driver in the office party period (nov.-déc.) Called "Red Nose Opération" (Rudolph operation)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:00:58 AM by Le Barbu »

Louis the Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #6011 on: December 20, 2014, 08:43:51 AM »

I've never seen this before! But we get snow here, so plush decorations would only last one year.

With a parking ticket?

With a license plate in the window because the car lives in a front license plate state and you'd hate to ruin the lines of an M3 with a front plate. (Not mocking, it's a beautiful car!)

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6012 on: December 20, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread as a first poster on page one hundred whatever, but I can relate a mindblowing story from my fish boat days.

In the mid-90s I worked on trawlers off the West Coast of Canada.  Year round, very dangerous but very high income potential (more or less exactly the same as the guys on 'the Deadliest Catch').  It only took me a couple of years to know that it was not a future for me, in part because of the constant danger, but also I could never find a happy man working on any of the boats.

So towards the end of my life on fish boats (I left after ~3 years) I ended up on a 'freezer trip' on one of the biggest boats on the coast.  What that means is a 4-8 week trip offshore, basically the boat has freezers so you stay at sea until the boat is full.  This boat was huge and co-owned by 8 fellows, all of whom were on it at the time.

Here's the thing.  The boat and license were worth a combined $10 Million, maybe as much as $15 Million.  These guys spent >300 days/year offshore on the thing, with each other, for decades.  On average I think they all made about $200K/year, with good and bad years.  All of them were divorced (of course - who would stay married to a chronic absentee?).  Every one of them was a millionaire just in the value of their share of boat and license, not to mention what they may or may not have saved over the years (when would they spend money?).

So these guys all hated their jobs, hated each other, and hated their lives.  At that time there was a big shakeup going on in the offshore fleet, and they could have sold out for >$1.5 Million each easily.  But the very notion of giving up being fishermen and living on shore was not even in the equation.  Every one of them was miserable and rich, and could see no way out of that situation.

A month after I got off that boat I went back to college.  As far as I know they are still out there.

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #6013 on: December 20, 2014, 11:42:33 AM »
So, I finally have a story.  My supervisor took a bunch of us out to lunch at a nice sushi place, and somehow money came up in the conversation.  One of the fellows said something like "even if you got a million dollars you couldn't retire - the interest isn't enough to live on and with the way inflation is, it'll be worth less and less as time goes on".  So I asked him how much interest he figured you'd get, and he said 'about 50k yearly'.  So I asked him how much he was living on per year.  He didn't answer, but here's the punchline; we're all engineering grad students (masters or PhD).  NONE of us are making over 20K per year, except the prof.  Take away tuition and I'd be surprised if we're clearing 12K (of course almost no taxes...).  This guy doesn't own a car and lives with roommates to save money.  But somehow he hasn't figured out the logic here.  Hilarious.  On the plus side, when I finish, I figure I can live a posh life on 20k per year...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6014 on: December 20, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
So, I finally have a story.  My supervisor took a bunch of us out to lunch at a nice sushi place, and somehow money came up in the conversation.  One of the fellows said something like "even if you got a million dollars you couldn't retire - the interest isn't enough to live on and with the way inflation is, it'll be worth less and less as time goes on".  So I asked him how much interest he figured you'd get, and he said 'about 50k yearly'.  So I asked him how much he was living on per year.  He didn't answer, but here's the punchline; we're all engineering grad students (masters or PhD).  NONE of us are making over 20K per year, except the prof.  Take away tuition and I'd be surprised if we're clearing 12K (of course almost no taxes...).  This guy doesn't own a car and lives with roommates to save money.  But somehow he hasn't figured out the logic here.  Hilarious.  On the plus side, when I finish, I figure I can live a posh life on 20k per year...

That's a perfect teachable moment.  If he's at that stage in life, he's clearly just parroting things he's heard about it not being enough to live on.. so you can tell him that, believe it or not, that 40-50k annually is enough (and in fact, is what the median household lives on).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6015 on: December 20, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »

That's a perfect teachable moment.  If he's at that stage in life, he's clearly just parroting things he's heard about it not being enough to live on.. so you can tell him that, believe it or not, that 40-50k annually is enough (and in fact, is what the median household lives on).

Not to mention he seems to think retirement income consists of living off of dividends from a money market account.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6016 on: December 20, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
No one goes to grad school in engineering expecting to earn only average. It would make no sense given the sacrifice in years and long hours.

Anyway an engineering grad student currently living on 20k still has plenty of time to get his financial house in order. No reason to be worried just yet.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6017 on: December 20, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
My coworker told me that he and his wife have been paying $500/month to his son's student loans.  The kid is a pharmacist who makes more than both of them combined, and he is leasing a brand new Lexus.

To make it even worse, this guy's wife has a 100% match up to the IRS maximum on her 401k, and they are only putting in about $500/month.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6018 on: December 21, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »
100% match?!?! Only putting in $500 a month?!?! (MIND EXPLODES) I think I'm cutting a fat hog at 6% match.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6019 on: December 21, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »
100% match?!?! Only putting in $500 a month?!?! (MIND EXPLODES) I think I'm cutting a fat hog at 6% match.

Yeah he fully acknowledged how much they were missing out on.  I just could not convince him to do anything about it.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #6020 on: December 21, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
My former workplace was a goldmine of tragicomedy.

After receiving her first paycheck, one  of our new admin assistants went to the local 'outlet' mall and purchased: a pair of sunglasses that cost her entire paycheck (around $600). I did not know that sunglasses--even with a designer label--could cost that much unless they granted the wearer x-ray vision.

As I sat there, stunned, the rest of the admin assistants congratulated her on making such a smart buy.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6021 on: December 21, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »

After receiving her first paycheck, one  of our new admin assistants went to the local 'outlet' mall and purchased: a pair of sunglasses that cost her entire paycheck (around $600). I did not know that sunglasses--even with a designer label--could cost that much unless they granted the wearer x-ray vision.

As I sat there, stunned, the rest of the admin assistants congratulated her on making such a smart buy.
just for sun or actual sight correctoin?
If its the sight correction you can get easily above that.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6022 on: December 21, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »

And you can easily get below that as well, even if for correction.   I got my prescription sunglasses from Zenni for less than $30, and I have horrible eyes and serious prescription.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #6023 on: December 21, 2014, 12:57:50 PM »

Been there - first from family, then from friends.  Definitely hurt the first time around because I thought we were living a good life, but being smart with purchases.  Funny part is that I now think we have way too much stuff and need to streamline what we already own. 

With recent knowledge, I agree with the poster who would 100% owe up to it.  It is our identity - buy what you need and what makes you happy, forget the rest. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6024 on: December 21, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »

Been there - first from family, then from friends.  Definitely hurt the first time around because I thought we were living a good life, but being smart with purchases.  Funny part is that I now think we have way too much stuff and need to streamline what we already own. 

With recent knowledge, I agree with the poster who would 100% owe up to it.  It is our identity - buy what you need and what makes you happy, forget the rest.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Gandhi

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #6025 on: December 21, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »

Someone attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt that for something to bother you, YOU had to believe some of it is true. My question would be, if you are a minimalist, why would it bother you to be called one?

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6026 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »
Helped a person at my work shop for and buy a new couch to replace his old one (part of purging his home after a bedbug thing - ick).  We had a truck so we helped him.  Small budget, but we found him a dirt cheap, nice enough new couch and chair for $450.  He asks to borrow the extra money, and one of my coworkers lends it to him.

IMMEDIATELY after borrowing the money we go for lunch at a Subway (I know, but it was a social context and I was prepared to drop $2 on a veggie sub).  Mr. Bigshot, who just borrowed $125 from my coworker to pay for the couch we were all helping him to acquire, magnanimously pays for everybody's sub.  I almost fell over from shock.  Desperate need of a facepunch, and to be honest I'm surprised that the guy who loaned him the cash didn't in fact smack him.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #6027 on: December 21, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »

Someone attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt that for something to bother you, YOU had to believe some of it is true. My question would be, if you are a minimalist, why would it bother you to be called one?

It was the snarky tone used when making the comment.  A combination of "Are you having money issues?", "You're weird", and "You don't understand society expectations" all rolled into one statement.  Being it was initially from family, I was floored - we weren't a flashy family but since DH and I had good jobs, I think there was some expectation of lifestyle inflation that we were not achieving.  So I would agree with the Roosevelt comparison, part of me wondered if there was something wrong with me.  Fortunately DH is stubborn and embraced it as a compliment.  This was way pre-MMM, so the groundwork was already forming. 

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #6028 on: December 21, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »

And you can easily get below that as well, even if for correction.   I got my prescription sunglasses from Zenni for less than $30, and I have horrible eyes and serious prescription.

Nope. Not prescription lenses. Just to be "fashionable." Meanwhile, she was holding her work trousers together with safety pins.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6029 on: December 21, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Anyone else notice that this thread has made it past 1 million views?

Wowzers.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6030 on: December 21, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »

Wowzers.

This thread can RE. :D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6031 on: December 21, 2014, 06:22:08 PM »
Listened to a ten minute long rant about the incompetence of a pool cleaning company :-/

People with super spendy lives sure seem to have a lot to complain about.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6032 on: December 21, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »

Perfect!  I was just chatting with my Dad, today, who recently turned 72, and has to now make mandatory RRSP withdrawls (on top of his pension).  He mentioned that although he was making >$300k, Gross, in his final years as an airline Pilot, and bringing home 44% of that total, he and my mom now spend for their day to day lives only $40k per year as retirees (plus elective travel they can cancel at any time.)  This includes the utilities, top shelf insurance, two newish vehicles including a F250, and a large expensive house to maintain.

So -- someone who used to make a TON of money, has discovered the truth -- without even trying, they have a lifestyle of $40k per year, (with a paid off house).   A typical challenge is deciding what to do with their money.

And, he still works a side business as a carpenter (cabinet maker) for the enjoyment of it, and likely brings in $30k a year, net, in income.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6033 on: December 21, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »
Listened to a ten minute long rant about the incompetence of a pool cleaning company :-/

It is so true. Their lives are endlessly complicated by the evil machinations or incompetence of their hired help and contractors. :)

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6034 on: December 21, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »

I can't find it now, but this reminds me of an example Nassim Taleb gave where people who paid a great deal of money to fly first-class complained about every little inconvenience in the food, seats, service,metc, whereas those who flew coach were laughing and drinking beers without a care. He concluded that the only way to enjoy being wealthy is never to spend it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6035 on: December 22, 2014, 12:04:56 AM »

Wowzers.

This thread can RE. :D

No way, that's only like 50k views per year.  Nobody can live on that.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #6036 on: December 22, 2014, 06:07:18 AM »

In order to share the pain from the UK - what is the IRS max? I don't think I'm going to like the answer!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:28:28 PM by gallygirl »

jordanread

« Reply #6037 on: December 22, 2014, 06:52:51 AM »

In order to share the pain from the UK - what is the IRS max? I don't thunk I'm going to like the answer!

$17,500 in 2014...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6038 on: December 22, 2014, 07:09:39 AM »
To make it even worse, this guy's wife has a 100% match up to the IRS maximum on her 401k, and they are only putting in about $500/month.
Care to share the employer's name? Are they hiring?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6039 on: December 22, 2014, 08:22:57 AM »
No shit! I've had a few jobs with what I thought were decent bennies, but I don't think I've ever seen a match over 6%. TSP only matches 1-to-1 on the first 3% and half up to 5%.

I'd suck up some serious pain to get a deal that sweet.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6040 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
I'm confused. I was thinking a 6% match meant "My employer will match what I put in dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of my salary." So 100% match isn't 94% better than a 6% match; it'd be something around 11% better on a $100,000 salary. Still, $11,500 tax-free is nothing to scoff at.

On topic: my in-laws moved 10 blocks away from me to be closer to the grandkids. They ROUTINELY drive those 10 blocks. Not only that, they bought an SUV "to make it easier to fit the carseats". They drive my kids places MAYBE once a month.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Overheard at Work
« Reply #6041 on: December 22, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »

Treat it as a compliment. Own it. Teach it. Be the change you want to see in the world.

ScooterMac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6042 on: December 22, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »
Had a former student who was back visiting brag about how stupid his cell phone company was because, despite being two months behind on his cell phone bill, only the "main line" for the account had been shut off, but his was still active.  He proudly declared that since he didn't have the money to pay his cell phone bill out of either of his last two paychecks, he'd bought Christmas presents with them instead of saving it to pay off his bill. Generational poverty makes my head hurt.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6043 on: December 22, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »

In order to share the pain from the UK - what is the IRS max? I don't thunk I'm going to like the answer!

$17,500 in 2014...

And $18k for next year.  One more week and I can revamp all my auto-investments for 2015.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6044 on: December 22, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
No shit! I've had a few jobs with what I thought were decent bennies, but I don't think I've ever seen a match over 6%. TSP only matches 1-to-1 on the first 3% and half up to 5%.

I'd suck up some serious pain to get a deal that sweet.

DW gets a match up to 5%.  If you hit 5% they throw an extra 3% on top of that.  So she gets 8% for her 5%.  It's pretty sweet but it's a government job so the rest of the benefits package is pretty good as well.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6045 on: December 22, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
My co-worker is livid.  He went to Germany with his dad for a week.  When he got back, his wife had bought a brand new $37000 Jeep grand Cherokee without telling him she was doing it.  She put it in her name only, but since she is only working 2-3 days a week at minimum wage,the vast majority of the families wages comes from his paycheck. 

If I were him, I'd have her drive it right back to the dealership.  Seriously, who buys a brand new car without at least talking it over with your spouse?!?

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6046 on: December 22, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
My co-worker is livid.  He went to Germany with his dad for a week.  When he got back, his wife had bought a brand new $37000 Jeep grand Cherokee without telling him she was doing it.  She put it in her name only, but since she is only working 2-3 days a week at minimum wage,the vast majority of the families wages comes from his paycheck. 

If I were him, I'd have her drive it right back to the dealership.  Seriously, who buys a brand new car without at least talking it over with your spouse?!?

Sounds like she is getting ready to file for divorce.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6047 on: December 22, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

Wow, that's terrifying.  That's a sign of some *serious* issues.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6048 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
We challenge each other for 100$ expenses, I would bring it back to the dealer in a blink!

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #6049 on: December 22, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »

[/quoti wonder if she used the 'household' income to qualify for it.

if she works part time,  i doubt the dealership let her buy this brand new car with credit alone.

either way that bad boy would be going back. and i would seriously consider divorce. this is mroe than just the money. its about trust and thinking about the family as well

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!