Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253002 times)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13450 on: June 08, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
It is funny, I am known to say something similar..."The deal is simple, I keep showing up and the paycheck keeps showing up, if either one stops, so does the other."
My stock answer to "how is work?" is along similar lines - "I keep showing up; they keep paying me."

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #13451 on: June 08, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
That said: don't be a dick. Call the company with who you took the job and explain that, unfortunately, you won't be there Monday for X reason. Don't let people hang around and wait. You'll burn the bridge with the company either way, but at least this means you're maintaining some semblance of professional courtesy for those who hear about the story, who you will most likely run across again in your career.

Pretty much that. Everybody understands the job market, but have the stones to let the employer know so they can call up the next candidate on the list - who might also need the job.

We had somebody accept a job, then not show up. He was such a wuss that he didn't even answer phone calls or emails, I guess hoping we'd just go away. After several days somebody finally managed to get the story from a friend-of-a-friend kind of route. HR was on the verge of calling for a police wellness check on the guy. Probably better to not hire somebody who's that averse to conflict anyway.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13452 on: June 08, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
Oh, and the employee that brought me the message...we only hired him because the original guy backed out. I actually didn't like him, but am glad that I was overruled...this guy has been worth his weight in gold, and has been given raises every 6 months because he keeps justifying his worth.

Could you give more detail on this? It sounds like a great attitude that you've come around. In my personal experience, managers seem to stick by people they liked and hired, regardless of performance, and continuously treat employees they were overruled on poorly. For that reason, if I ever knew that the person hiring me didn't want to but was overruled, I'd decline the job.

If it's too long and foamy of a story, feel free to PM me.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13453 on: June 08, 2016, 04:51:42 PM »
Oh, and the employee that brought me the message...we only hired him because the original guy backed out. I actually didn't like him, but am glad that I was overruled...this guy has been worth his weight in gold, and has been given raises every 6 months because he keeps justifying his worth.

Could you give more detail on this? It sounds like a great attitude that you've come around. In my personal experience, managers seem to stick by people they liked and hired, regardless of performance, and continuously treat employees they were overruled on poorly. For that reason, if I ever knew that the person hiring me didn't want to but was overruled, I'd decline the job.

I'd love me some foam!!!!

Maya Freegalson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freegality
« Reply #13454 on: June 08, 2016, 06:02:01 PM »
Not something I overhead as much as something I saw during a work-related trip.

The night before we were due to fly home, my colleague paid $3 to print her boarding pass at the hotel, even though they can be printed at the airport FOR FREE. She just whipped out her credit card when the hotel computer said that printing cost money, without even blinking an eye.

Also seen on the same trip: She got a hotel room upgrade ($15/night, 4 nights = $60) so she could check in a few hours early. We arrived early on Sunday morning and the upgraded room was available whereas her booked room (that was paid for by work) was not. She had plans to go and explore the city, but I guess it was just that valuable to her to be able to drop off her bags in her room rather than at the reception desk...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13455 on: June 08, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »

I'd love me some foam!!!!

I don't want to share too many specifics but I should add that when I said I didn't like him, I didn't mean that I didn't like him personally, I just thought that he wouldn't be a good fit here.

In general, the person is somewhat loud (unable/unwilling to control the volume of his voice) and repeats himself. During his interview he was asked a simple question that he repeated the answer three times to. I thought that this would turn off customers. His previous experience was working at a department store as a salesmen on the floor, which I didn't think was good experience.

He's as sturdy as Tardigrade and won't take no for an answer from a customer. Within a week of working there he demanded that he be allowed to go out and sell to local stores. At the time my company dealt almost exclusively with wholesalers and I thought that he would do it for a day or two and give up, instead he went and sold more than I expected and at much higher margins than we get selling to wholesalers.

Additionally, his work ethic is unreal. It turns out that he lived in Spain before coming to America and was a salesmen there, and was really good, but left it off his resume due to some bad advice. Had he done so, he likely would have gotten hired by another company far sooner.

There are a ton of products that I'm not able to move to wholesalers that he's been able to sell. As a result I've been able to bring in a lot of products that I wouldn't have considered previously.

Let's just say that I am very glad to be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:13:00 PM by MgoSam »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13456 on: June 08, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
Was talking to some coworkers about houses, since a few folks I work with are buying / bought houses.

Somehow credit cards came up and the idea of paying interest vs just paying them off came up and coworker basically implied that when you buy a house there are lots of big purchases that you have to pay interest on (appliances, furniture, etc).

Oh well. I'd guess they are putting very little down, too.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13457 on: June 08, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
He's as sturdy as Tardigrade and won't take no for an answer from a customer.

Let's just say that I am very glad to be wrong.
I love this story, thank you.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13458 on: June 08, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
Not something I overhead as much as something I saw during a work-related trip.

The night before we were due to fly home, my colleague paid $3 to print her boarding pass at the hotel, even though they can be printed at the airport FOR FREE. She just whipped out her credit card when the hotel computer said that printing cost money, without even blinking an eye.

Also seen on the same trip: She got a hotel room upgrade ($15/night, 4 nights = $60) so she could check in a few hours early. We arrived early on Sunday morning and the upgraded room was available whereas her booked room (that was paid for by work) was not. She had plans to go and explore the city, but I guess it was just that valuable to her to be able to drop off her bags in her room rather than at the reception desk...
Since you say this is work related was this on the company credit card.

Maya Freegalson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freegality
« Reply #13459 on: June 08, 2016, 09:08:53 PM »

Nope - we work for the government and anything extra like an unnecessary room upgrade needs to be paid out of pocket. She did try to include the $3 printing charge on her travel claim, but was rejected.

crispy

« Reply #13460 on: June 09, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
Something I found out today at work, so it counts, right?

Another team in my department was supposed to have a new person start this week. Orientation Monday, then first day in the department Tuesday. He wasn't here yesterday. Today, I found out why. Monday, he emailed HR and said that he wasn't taking the job, and was going to stay with his current company. He'd accepted the job offer 2-3 weeks ago.

He's blacklisted with HR - will never even get an interview here again.

Meh, I don't see this as that strange if you are in a high demand field. The last time I switched jobs, my boss was trying to get me to stay up until the time that he walked me out to my car on my last Friday (with me starting the new job the following Monday).  I didn't take those last minute counter offers because I had non-financial reasons for leaving the company, but if that had not been true and the counter offers had been high enough I would have performed a last-minute turn around at the car with no remorse.  Maximizing your own time and value is more important than loyalty to some organization that you don't even work for yet, especially given the 'at-will' employment laws in most of the US.

On one hand: yes. I've had conversations with old colleagues before where people will criticize other people for 'not having any loyalty to the company' and I'm like... please explain yourself. I have as much loyalty to the company as they have to me, which is to say, zilch. What we have is a mutually satisfying business agreement that can be disolved from either side should it cease to be satisfying. Since the company is NEVER going to give me more loyalty than that, I'd be kind of a fool to be 'loyal' in absence of returned loyalty.

That said: don't be a dick. Call the company with who you took the job and explain that, unfortunately, you won't be there Monday for X reason. Don't let people hang around and wait. You'll burn the bridge with the company either way, but at least this means you're maintaining some semblance of professional courtesy for those who hear about the story, who you will most likely run across again in your career.

The gentleman in Sibley's story did contact HR to let them know he wasn't coming although it was definitely last minute.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13461 on: June 09, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
I am as loyal to my company as they are to me..

Want more loyalty from me? Build a contractual notice period of say two months both ways.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13462 on: June 09, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »

Nope - we work for the government and anything extra like an unnecessary room upgrade needs to be paid out of pocket. She did try to include the $3 printing charge on her travel claim, but was rejected.
Wow, rejected for $3? I understand it was rightly rejected as it was completely frivolous and unnecessary but my company doesn't even require a receipt until the expenditure hits $75. They discovered it was actually costing the company more to pay people to analyze every single expense than we were losing to any low-level "fraud" through expense reports. To be honest, there just wasn't a lot of unjustified expenses being claimed. I can think of only 1 person in the last ~15 years who was fired for something semi-related and that's because he was towing his boat with his company van. While it's possible unjustified expenses have increased (since nobody is really looking too close at the little things now) but in talking "off the record" to my peers I don't think so.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13463 on: June 09, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »
So my coworker who is around my age chose to sign up for cable when he moved into his apartment because he plans to get a TV at some point (he has no TV)

But he can't get his TV yet because he needs somewhere to sit so he needs to buy a recliner first.

But he can't buy a recliner yet because he hasn't done any research or shopping for his recliner.

And he hasn't done any research or shopping because he hasn't had enough time or been to lazy to do it

and he can't cancel cable because he is planning on getting a TV at some point... ya know... after he buys his recliner

that's how our infinite looping conversation goes once a week
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:55:19 AM by CmFtns »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13464 on: June 09, 2016, 09:57:53 AM »

Wow, rejected for $3? I understand it was rightly rejected as it was completely frivolous and unnecessary but my company doesn't even require a receipt until the expenditure hits $75. They discovered it was actually costing the company more to pay people to analyze every single expense than we were losing to any low-level "fraud" through expense reports. To be honest, there just wasn't a lot of unjustified expenses being claimed. I can think of only 1 person in the last ~15 years who was fired for something semi-related and that's because he was towing his boat with his company van. While it's possible unjustified expenses have increased (since nobody is really looking too close at the little things now) but in talking "off the record" to my peers I don't think so.

Government employment has come under greater scrutiny in the past decade, perhaps that could be why they are so stingy on reimbursements, even though it likely costs the taxpayers more to monitor each expense.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13465 on: June 09, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
So my coworker who is around my age chose to sign up for cable when he moved into his apartment because he plans to get a TV at some point (he has no TV)

But he can't get his TV yet because he needs somewhere to sit so he needs to buy a recliner first.

But he can't buy a recliner yet because he hasn't done any research or shopping for his recliner.

And he hasn't done any research or shopping because he hasn't had enough time or been to lazy to do it

and he can't cancel cable because he is planning on getting a TV at some point... ya know... after he buys his recliner

Wow.  Paying for cable is one thing.  Paying for cable that you can't even use?  Just wow.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13466 on: June 09, 2016, 10:29:18 AM »

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly...

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13467 on: June 09, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
Wow, rejected for $3? I understand it was rightly rejected as it was completely frivolous and unnecessary but my company doesn't even require a receipt until the expenditure hits $75.

I had an expenses claim rejected because I had under claimed by 18p. I spent an afternoon first explaining that I wasn't bothered about 18p, then that this was only because I'd applied an exchange rate to a total rather than rounding every item, and then redoing the entire claim. This tied up my time and a senior partner's time. When we are not arguing about expenses we each bill at over £1000 per day.
18p.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #13468 on: June 09, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
Not overheard at work but seen via coworker's FB page:

Coworker regularly posts photos of exotic vacations & nice meals out.  She recently bought a brand new Subaru Something (can't remember).  Then posted photos of the new seats she bought to replace the brand-new seats that CAME WITH THE CAR! 

More recently she posted a photo of new (expensive) wheels for her older (10 year old) car.

Today, a photo of the new shoes she just bought.  She included the shoe box in the photo so we can see the brand.  I looked up the brand and they go for $235 - $295 per pair.

I used to see stuff like this and think the person must make a lot of money.  Now I see it and think the person is deep in debt.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #13469 on: June 09, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »
Today, a photo of the new shoes she just bought.  She included the shoe box in the photo so we can see the brand. 

This is amusing to me.  Of course the box must be included in the picture, otherwise people with think they are just a pair of new shoes.  "But this is not just a pair of new shoes," coworker thinks, "it is a pair of [insert brand name] shoes and I want to make sure everyone knows it." 

I understand paying for high quality shoes but at that price point you are just paying extra for the brand name. 

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13470 on: June 09, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »
Today, a photo of the new shoes she just bought.  She included the shoe box in the photo so we can see the brand. 

This is amusing to me.  Of course the box must be included in the picture, otherwise people with think they are just a pair of new shoes.  "But this is not just a pair of new shoes," coworker thinks, "it is a pair of [insert brand name] shoes and I want to make sure everyone knows it." 

I understand paying for high quality shoes but at that price point you are just paying extra for the brand name. 

I think mine were about $260, but that was almost 6 years and several thousand miles ago. And I doubt they match her aesthetic.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #13471 on: June 09, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »

Hit nail on head.

You might recommend this film to her: Its all about the Shoes.

That was awesome.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #13472 on: June 10, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly...
Do I still have to feel sympathetic when they swallow the horse?

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13473 on: June 10, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »
Co worker came in with a brand new Mustang that is replacing a 1.5 y.o Mustang.

Its a new car but it costs the same as the old one did each month!! he crowed.

I think I have scars from biting my tongue so often around here.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13474 on: June 10, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »
"I bought a new car; I couldn't afford the repair work the old one needed!"

According to he mechanic AT THE DEALERSHIP, 1.5K in repairs would have kept her 5-year-old, paid-off, car running for another 2 years, or long enough to put the equivalent of her current car payment in the bank and buy a decent 2-year-old car with zero payments. Or, alternative: go see a non-dealership mechanic and get a second quote! But I guess if someone doesn't have 1.5K in the bank or even available on a line of credit, 400$/month seems reasonable. Somehow.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13475 on: June 10, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »
"I bought a new car; I couldn't afford the repair work the old one needed!"

According to he mechanic AT THE DEALERSHIP, 1.5K in repairs would have kept her 5-year-old, paid-off, car running for another 2 years, or long enough to put the equivalent of her current car payment in the bank and buy a decent 2-year-old car with zero payments. Or, alternative: go see a non-dealership mechanic and get a second quote! But I guess if someone doesn't have 1.5K in the bank or even available on a line of credit, 400$/month seems reasonable. Somehow.

This is when the astute coworker swoops in and buy the "troubled" car at a 30% discount. Unfortunately the math-challenged coworkers tend to only share these stories after the fact.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13476 on: June 10, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »
Co worker came in with a brand new Mustang that is replacing a 1.5 y.o Mustang.

Its a new car but it costs the same as the old one did each month!! he crowed.

I think I have scars from biting my tongue so often around here.
To be fair, if I had bought a 2014 Mustang I'd also be looking to trade it in on a 2016, they are very different cars.

Who am I kidding, if I'd bought a 2014 Mustang I'd be selling it and looking for something I could pay cash for.  Though I'd still wistfully frequent Ford's build-your-own-Mustang-I-can't-actually-afford website. (Yea, cars are a weak point for me.)

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13477 on: June 11, 2016, 09:48:46 AM »
I just remembered this gem from a few years ago.  A coworker said she was bummed that she didn't have $1000 to pay to see a psychic.

So let me get this straight:  You don't have $1000 to your name but if you did, you would give it to a psychic.  I can predict your future for free.

I saw a psychic when I was a teenager. The cost was $20.

Your coworker knows a very smart psychic if they can bilk her out of $1,000. I'm a little impressed.

@nouveauRiche: psychology. People distrust goods or services that are "too" cheap. So I guess this is a smart swindler...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13478 on: June 11, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »
Wow, rejected for $3? I understand it was rightly rejected as it was completely frivolous and unnecessary but my company doesn't even require a receipt until the expenditure hits $75.

I had an expenses claim rejected because I had under claimed by 18p. I spent an afternoon first explaining that I wasn't bothered about 18p, then that this was only because I'd applied an exchange rate to a total rather than rounding every item, and then redoing the entire claim. This tied up my time and a senior partner's time. When we are not arguing about expenses we each bill at over £1000 per day.
18p.

I've had an expense claim rejected because I explained using a hotel not on the list (no additional cost, hotels on list were full) in only ONE location on the form, instead of BOTH locations.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13479 on: June 11, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »

Based on the looks on faces later, I don't think they're used to seeing credit scores that start with an 8.

Neither am I, how did you manage that?

Long history of flawless on time payments over a variety of account types.

I've had a score starting with 8 for at least 15 years. In 1996 when we bought the first house it was high 7.

Really not that difficult.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13480 on: June 11, 2016, 10:58:16 AM »
My wife and I both have scores about 800 (5/6 were over when we just applied for a mortgage).

Both of us have had 1-2 credit cards for about 10 years. I had a car loan for ~1 year total. No late payments ever.

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13481 on: June 11, 2016, 02:37:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm 811.  Maybe because I have large VISA bills and pay them immediately? Non-mortgage debt is a small share of income.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13482 on: June 11, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »
I'm stuck in the upper 7's.  I'm hoping because I have two mortgages, and that will improve once I finally sell the old house.  I've been renting it out for 3 years now.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13483 on: June 11, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »

18p.

I've had an expense claim rejected because I explained using a hotel not on the list (no additional cost, hotels on list were full) in only ONE location on the form, instead of BOTH locations.

I just had one rejected because the email I attached to show payment (using the corporate card- so exact amount was very clear) didn't include a date.

I work for Company X. The payment was for a conference put on by Company X. The credit card payment was listed to "Company X", the email was from Company X.

But Company X couldn't verify my expense report without a proper date (which they didn't put on the email THEY sent!)

I also had one rejected because I titled it "All Company Meeting", but my department met for the two days before the meeting, so they told me the all company meeting was only 2 days long, not 4.  So I changed the title to "week of all company meeting".  Our auditor is kind of ridiculous.  And she is so hard to work with.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13484 on: June 12, 2016, 06:37:52 AM »
Our auditor is kind of ridiculous.  And she is so hard to work with.
If the auditor group for the Canadian Senate had been this careful over the last several years, we would have not had a bunch of expense scandals.  Fussy can be good.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13485 on: June 12, 2016, 07:17:21 AM »
Of course the box must be included in the picture

I've noticed that people who are into Tiffany jewellery (and particularly if it's a gift from their partner, and especially if it's an engagement ring) seem to be most prone to this affliction.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13486 on: June 12, 2016, 08:36:37 AM »
Of course the box must be included in the picture

I've noticed that people who are into Tiffany jewellery (and particularly if it's a gift from their partner, and especially if it's an engagement ring) seem to be most prone to this affliction.
Isn't there an app for that ?

Matilda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13487 on: June 12, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
2. "Buy a new car from our dealership and get financing at 0% for 84 months!"

To be fair, I would do that. If I needed a car. They say 0% because they don't expect ANYONE to qualify for that.

I needed a car and had picked out a model that was rated as very reliable with high resale value. And 2-3 year old used versions were selling at less than 10% off new. They were offering 0.9% financing and when I came in and asked about that they smirked and said that amount was for well-qualified buyers and they would do the best they could for me.

Based on the looks on faces later, I don't think they're used to seeing credit scores that start with an 8.

Free money for 7 years?! I'll take it.

My parents did that with a car back in the 90's.  They are natural mustachian types, in most ways, and generally paid for vehicles outright, no financing. But when they went to look into getting my sister a car, the dealership was offering zero percent financing.  The funds were in a money market account making good interest (90's, remember?), so they took the financing, left the money in the money market, paid the payments from the account, so the remainder of the funds could continue to accumulate interest.   

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13488 on: June 12, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
2. "Buy a new car from our dealership and get financing at 0% for 84 months!"

To be fair, I would do that. If I needed a car. They say 0% because they don't expect ANYONE to qualify for that.

I needed a car and had picked out a model that was rated as very reliable with high resale value. And 2-3 year old used versions were selling at less than 10% off new. They were offering 0.9% financing and when I came in and asked about that they smirked and said that amount was for well-qualified buyers and they would do the best they could for me.

Free money for 7 years?! I'll take it.

My parents did that with a car back in the 90's.  They are natural mustachian types, in most ways, and generally paid for vehicles outright, no financing. But when they went to look into getting my sister a car, the dealership was offering zero percent financing.  The funds were in a money market account making good interest (90's, remember?), so they took the financing, left the money in the money market, paid the payments from the account, so the remainder of the funds could continue to accumulate interest.

My mother did this last year. Qualified for a seven-year zero-interest loan on a brand-new, fully loaded Kia Sorento. She said they ran her credit and then asked her how many more cars she wanted to buy.

Well, it's not what I would do with money, but at least she can afford it. She's not that frugal but she is retiring comfortably at 62.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13489 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
$1400/mo for a car payment?! Holy crap. that's more than my mortgage, which at ~1300 is I think on the high side compared to most here!

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #13490 on: June 13, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
I've been just itchin' to make a post on this thread.  \
As a small business owner, we have had our fair share of "interesting" characters as employees.  But one employee we had defined  what Anti-Mustachian/Consumerism is all about.  Henceforth she will be named Mrs. Anti-Mustachian (MAM).  Some background info on her and her family:
- They "bought" (ie. financed) a brand new gas guzzling SUV.   List price is 38,000 +.  They already had 2 vehicles (old beater van, couple years old mid-sized car), one of which they are still making payments on.  We live in a small Canadian town where it takes less than 30 min to walk across town.  (This is a story I will share at some other time, as it is so good it deserves its own separate post.)
- They make a decent wage.  He works a trade (est $55/hr full time) and she worked as a part time receptionist ($15/hr). 
- They bought a very inexpensive house where an extended family member supplied them with the down payment.  House should have been paid off a long time ago - but they are still paying mortgage payments.
- Credit cards are always carrying a balance.
- I'm sure they have no budget but she told me her husband allows her $100/day miscellaneous Blow It money.
- They don't have any retirement savings, but are hoping the husbands pension is good enough.
- Being quite young (early 30s), she has many health issues that can be mainly contributed to: 1. Poor sleep. 2. Poor diet.  3. No exercise. 4. Smoking cigarettes.
- They have 3 kids and a large dog.
- They are "collectors" of board games and electronic gaming systems - she has hoarding tendencies.
- She would brag to us, her employers, that she would be able to wake up 5 minutes before work started and be there on time.  (Yeah, my teeth would grind and steam would exit my ears when she would say this.)
-  When she gets upset with her husband, part of her retaliation is to spend a large amount of money on purchases he wouldn't be happy with (shopping trips in the neighbouring city, expensive clothes, books, etc etc.)  Unfortunately for her husband, she sees him as the problem for everything. 
Now that you've got some background info, here it is...

It was not long ago that MAM booked a holiday to Las Vegas.  She wanted to go on a holiday with her family (mom, aunt, sisters).  Because saving money was not one of her strengths, she went to the closest casino (130km away) on a weekend to try to win herself some holiday money.  On arriving to work Monday morning she was very excited to share that she had won enough money playing Black Jack that her flights and accommodation in Vegas could now be paid for in advance.  She told me she gave that money to her mom so that she would not spend it on anything before her trip.  (You know you have a problem with money when...)  She went on to say that it is impossible to lose money playing Black Jack.   Yep, she really believes this.
Fast forward to the Monday following her trip to Vegas...
It was quite apparent she wasn't quite so excited about life.  She had just enough energy to shuffle her feet down the hall.  She said to those that entered our office that "my brain just isn't working today" and laughed about it.  It was apparent she was exhausted.  When time permitted, I asked her how the holiday was.  She stated that "she met soooo many nice people and made some really good friends."  She went on to say that one night in the casino, she was in need of some more money.  She had maxed out her credit cards and had no available cash.  So she called her credit card company, asking for a credit limit increase.  She was told by the cc company that she wasn't eligible to have her credit card limit increased because she had already increased her credit card limit within the last three days.  She told me she was upset with the credit card company and she gave Customer Service an ear full.

I once again inquired about her views on the profitability on Black Jack.  Contrary to that experience, she still felt it is a sure thing.  "You can't lose playing that game."
Queue my forehead hitting the wall...  more to come on MAM.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13491 on: June 13, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »
Wait, wait, wait $100 per day, per DAY?!?

Please tell me 'Blow It' money is what my dirty mind is thinking as a charge for services rendered in the bedroom.

And, just to be clear, MAM thinks that Blackjack is set up to give people money. Is it impolite to ask why she is still working? Looking forward to future tales.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13492 on: June 13, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »
^ Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Even if it was only for the work week, that would mean $25k annually, or roughly half her husbands's assumed pre-tax salary.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13493 on: June 13, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
And, just to be clear, MAM thinks that Blackjack is set up to give people money. Is it impolite to ask why she is still working? Looking forward to future tales.
Exactly - if you actually believe this, surely you can do way better at the tables than $15 / hour, right?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13494 on: June 13, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »

Please tell me 'Blow It' money is what my dirty mind is thinking as a charge for services rendered in the bedroom.

Well, if you are good at counting cards, Blackjack isn't so bad.  Maybe she doesn't do it often, so she doesn't get caught?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13495 on: June 13, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »
Exactly - if you actually believe this, surely you can do way better at the tables than $15 / hour, right?

Man this brings me back to my first real taste of gambling. Thankfully I lost my shirt because I haven't wanted to risk a penny at a casino since. Due to work I usually spend a few weeks a year in Vegas, but now stay off-strip at a hotel that only has slots. Rate is far lower, has a lot so I'll rent a car and pick up groceries and other things and enjoy my stay in Vegas. I rarely venture to the strip anymore, and if I do it's nearly always to take out a customer.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #13496 on: June 13, 2016, 01:25:53 PM »

Yes, you read that correctly Playing With Fire, $100 Canadian Dollars per day.  To do the simple math for you, that's $36,500/year.  Absolutely mind blowing.  Hard to wrap my head around those numbers (considering my wife and I "allow" $100 for her and $30 for myself per month for that type of spending.)
And no, Blow It money has nothing to do with sexual favors in this case (as far as I know.)
And no, I don't think it impolite to ask "why she is still working?"  I have asked the same questions many times before.  Thankfully she doesn't work for us any more.
And no MrMoogle, she is not a card counter.  I am confident in that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:28:39 PM by Beard N Bones »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13497 on: June 13, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »

Yes, you read that correctly Playing With Fire, $100 Canadian Dollars per day.  To do the simple math for you, that's $36,500/year.  Absolutely mind blowing.  Hard to wrap my head around those numbers (considering my wife and I "allow" $100 for her and $30 for myself per month for that type of spending.)
And no, Blow It money has nothing to do with sexual favors in this case (as far as I know.)
And no, I don't think it impolite to ask "why she is still working?"  I have asked the same questions many times before.  Thankfully she doesn't work for us any more.

It kinda sounds like the husband is just agreeing to cover all the family expenses and his wife is free to spend her income however she wants.  She probably makes around $100/day given the above numbers (of course pre tax).  This arrangement is not entirely unconventional

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13498 on: June 13, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »
It kinda sounds like the husband is just agreeing to cover all the family expenses and his wife is free to spend her income however she wants.  She probably makes around $100/day given the above numbers (of course pre tax).  This arrangement is not entirely unconventional

Regardless of convention, I hope we can agree that 36,500 CAD per year for fun money is bat-shit crazy?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13499 on: June 13, 2016, 04:16:02 PM »

Neither, I'm told, is the charge for services between married people.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!