Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252957 times)

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4450 on: October 02, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
dog breeder

Man, I fucked up. My bad. Wow, pretty embarrassing.

I had the same thought as you and was saved only by coming late to the party.

jordanread

« Reply #4451 on: October 02, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
dog breeder

Man, I fucked up. My bad. Wow, pretty embarrassing.

It happens to the best of us. No need to be embarrassed. And I wasn't joking about it making my day. Being that befuddled that early in the morning left me with a perma-grin all the way to work.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4452 on: October 02, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
Yeah, but puppies are how dogs move their race forward, how they survive - thank you, drive to survive and procreate, without which they wouldn't be here. Communities coming together to help the process of having and raising dogs is a nice thing, and again, pretty good for their survival. No need to be a dick and call people who sell dogs breeders, there are forums where you can circlejerk about how pets are the worst thing since un-sliced bread.

Okay, this is getting out of hand. Of all the places on the internet, I would never have expected to see it here. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Un-sliced bread is awesome, and has done nothing to deserve the scorn you've all shown.

+1 for un-sliced bread.  There is little more enjoyable in life than a hunk of warm bread hot from the oven with butter melted on it.  Slicing is never as enjoyable.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4453 on: October 02, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
Nothing like off topic complaints on the last couple pages and then this beautiful page of off topic talk being so hilarious. I <3 the internet.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4454 on: October 02, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »
Went to the 'Health & Financial Expo' at work today, i.e., sign up for your medical/dental/vision/403(b).  There were also vendors at the expo, including several gyms/personal trainers, a co that delivers baskets of organic fruits/veggies, vision practices, Costco, etc.

Face punching moment?  The dude with the home water filtration system that removes all sorts of shit from your house water, at *only* $60/month.  How much if I paid cash?  $4K!! 

Yeah.... medical-grade home water filtration system..........*that's* the way to financial health!

jordanread

« Reply #4455 on: October 02, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »
Nothing like off topic complaints on the last couple pages and then this beautiful page of off topic talk being so hilarious. I <3 the internet.

Oh crap!! I forgot about that...um...

Everybody:

Ingrown Muskrat Foam, this is not a drill!!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4456 on: October 02, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
Guy at work yesterday during lunch was talking about how when he was in school he got a "great deal" on a bunch of obscenely fancy auto-mechanic tools.  He got a $17,000 toolchest for only $8,500!  And not only that, we was able to roll it into his student loans!  What a deal!

He doesn't even drive an old car that needs wonky repairs or anything like that.  He drives a 2010 VW.

A VW? Don't worry, he'll get his money's worth out of those tools...!

(I own a VW, so I'm allowed to make jokes like that.)

Face punching moment?  The dude with the home water filtration system that removes all sorts of shit from your house water, at *only* $60/month.  How much if I paid cash?  $4K!! 

Yeah.... medical-grade home water filtration system..........*that's* the way to financial health!

I was astonished about how bent-out-of-shape my coworkers got when we recently had supply issues with our bottled water vendor. I said something like "just drink the tap water" and they looked at me like I'd grown two heads!

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #4457 on: October 02, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »
I have a coworker who was just graduated from school about 1 year ago. He told me that he was glad that he was initially hired as a contractor initially and got paid less so he could qualify for a house loan with 0% down. ...

Wait a second.  How is it that "the banks" "let you" barrow with less money down when you earn less, right out of school, and as a contractor your job is less secure?  If he made good choices while gaming the system - great for him - but wtf system are we working in?  I hope what he did was all a misunderstanding of the system.

Well I guess him over extending himself does ensure we will keep showing up at work and feeding the system where most of us here intend to check out and live off the dividends at some point (are we even more gaming the system?).
It must be a USDA loans: they exist to encourage people to buy homes out in the sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USDA_home_loan

Oh not necessarily.  I am a real estate agent in WA and here you can get a state bond $0 down program.  Essentially you are borrowing the down payment from the state which becomes a 2nd mortgage.  The PMI is really high too, buyers who do this program are going to pay at least a couple hundred more per month than just doing a 3.5% FHA loan.  It is ridiculous what people will do to get a home. And a little scary... to qualify you have to make a combined household income of under $90ksomething (I can't remember the exact amount off the top of my head).  But you could be making $90K per year and do $0...

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #4458 on: October 02, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
Oh and by the way, I just discovered this site a couple of weeks ago, and I just now completed all 93 pages of reading in this thread.  It was way more entertaining than anything else I was doing. :)  You guys are awesome.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4459 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
Oh and by the way, I just discovered this site a couple of weeks ago, and I just now completed all 93 pages of reading in this thread.  It was way more entertaining than anything else I was doing. :)  You guys are awesome.

That's quite the accomplishment!  Cheers!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4460 on: October 02, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »

You are likely the only one. Welcome to the forum.

jordanread

« Reply #4461 on: October 02, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »

Hey!! I read it all. So you aren't the only one. ;) Welcome nonetheless!! This place is truly great.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #4462 on: October 02, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »
Hey!! I read it all. So you aren't the only one. ;) Welcome nonetheless!! This place is truly great.

Me too!... Of course, I've been here since about Page 12.

Oh crap!! I forgot about that...um...

Everybody:

Ingrown Muskrat Foam, this is not a drill!!

There's only one thing I have to say about that:
http://youtu.be/7f1MumAJTLo

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4463 on: October 02, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
In a prior role, the group used to throw baby showers or retirement parties and have a "Money Tree" where people would tie cash to a small twiggy tree for the honoree.

One of the people that reported to me decided to throw herself a dog shower complete with a Money Tree. She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder and wanted one for herself since everyone else got to have them for babies or retiring.  She had even registered her new furry family member at Target. 

She had organized and was planning to throw the dog shower on company time.  Tragically she didn't invite her boss (but did invite some of my peers).  Interesting woman. 

My boss's boss stopped her after the invitations went out.  No Money Tree for her.

This is totally mustachian! She was trying to get free stuff! Good job, woman!

Actually, this does crack me up, because I consider showers of all types to be torturous events, so I think it was kind of great that she did something that caused people to gasp a little. Why would we give gifts to her for choosing to get a dog??? I don't know, but why the heck do we give gifts to others for choosing to get married or have babies? Showers are pretty ridiculous whether they are for dogs, infants, or spouses.

I know!!! When I turned 40 I sort of joked around that I was going to register for gifts for my big 40th birthday party. People thought it was strange. I ended up not doing it, and got a bunch of wine bottles for my birthday. Which was nice, but I was having allergy issues with wine at the time. And it was a BUNCH of wine bottles. I had other things I needed.

As a single person, I think single people need more home-type gifts than married people because married people have two incomes to pay for household items. It seems unfair for a single person to have to buy all of these gifts, but I guess that's how our society has decided to treat marriages and baby arrivals. There was a funny Sex & The City episode on this.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4464 on: October 02, 2014, 11:15:01 PM »
In a prior role, the group used to throw baby showers or retirement parties and have a "Money Tree" where people would tie cash to a small twiggy tree for the honoree.

One of the people that reported to me decided to throw herself a dog shower complete with a Money Tree. She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder and wanted one for herself since everyone else got to have them for babies or retiring.  She had even registered her new furry family member at Target. 

She had organized and was planning to throw the dog shower on company time.  Tragically she didn't invite her boss (but did invite some of my peers).  Interesting woman. 

My boss's boss stopped her after the invitations went out.  No Money Tree for her.

That is so funny!  I bet she was confused why she had to cancel it too.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4465 on: October 02, 2014, 11:38:01 PM »
I know!!! When I turned 40 I sort of joked around that I was going to register for gifts for my big 40th birthday party.

As a single person, I think single people need more home-type gifts than married people because married people have two incomes to pay for household items. It seems unfair for a single person to have to buy all of these gifts, but I guess that's how our society has decided to treat marriages and baby arrivals. There was a funny Sex & The City episode on this.

First, I think you are on to something, the first apt/ first home "homewarming"  should replace the wedding shower.  Be moved up a bit in stature on the mythical ranking of social occasions.  Get good useful presents to start you on your way... Etc.

Second, as a singleton you have far, far more disposable income than a single income family of four.  Not at all unfair!
(Which partly explains the baby shower tradition, too).

Third, presents are not what you need,  more of what items people who love you want you to have.  At 40 most others would assume you have the basics.  But I think I misread your post so ignore if you did not mean it that way.. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4466 on: October 02, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »

I only read the off-topic portions

Hitachi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4467 on: October 03, 2014, 03:09:13 AM »
A friend of mine at work has been through some tough times for the last year. Her husband has been unemployed and one of her sons have been in some trouble which has been giving her some real problems and I really feel sorry for her. BUT, her husband got a job in May, her son switched school and that situation seems to have worked out aswell.
She and her family did one smart thing, they sold their way to big house to downsize now in august. She said that they don't want to live that close to bancrupcy again and I understand her, it was a great move since their house was quite large. The deal went through and they made a good profit that equals about 2-3 times her annual NET pay. They settled in the new house, made some minor renovations, hur husband made them so I think they didn't pay to much, so far everything is smart IMHO when she says this... We are so excited, we bought a new SUV whithout financing! For the first time in our lives we could pay cash for the car.

ME: Didn't you buy a car not that long ago?
HER:Well, that was actually 2 years ago and that car starts to get old know. Since my husband don't know how to fix anything about cars we don't want the risk of me getting stranded out on the road somewhere.
ME: Do you think that a 2012 car will break down? ( I tried not to be too harsh on her her but was truly flabbergasted )
HER: It might do, it was a KIA and it doesn't seems to be of very good quality, I could her some squeaks and sounds from somewhere under the car and was just waiting for it to break down.
ME: Doesn't KIA have a 7 year warranty?
HER: I don't know about that stuff, but this new car is GREAT! Its so lovely and we can afford it.
CO-Worker3-->ME : It looks like someone is jealous... Don't you have any plans to change your old car? (I drive a paid of -06 Volvo)
ME: No, why should I? Cars don't give me satisfaction, they are just a mean of transportation for me.
CO-Worker3: sure...

The conversation ended there but I got to talk to my friend/coworkeer later and she added that it feels so nice to have money now, they are booking a 3 week trip to Florida during Christmas and New Year just to avoid having to decide wich of their parents they need to visit...
She also said that her and her husband takes a hotelroom sometimes in their own town when they have been out on the movies or at a restaurant EVEN if there are no children at home since they have been sleeping over at relatives. She specificly says that they could never afford that OR the trip before they sold the house so I understand that there is what the money comes from.

I asked her if she had planned on investing the money since it was quite a large amount they made in profit and she said yes, in a banking account, the stock market is to risky...
We are quite close and she confides all sorts of things to me, but with this I get the impression that they behave like if they won the lottery or something regarding the house profits. I haven't asked her if she is aware that she will need to pay tax on the profits, but I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't thought about it.

Stangely enough she is working with money at work and is very good at handling the economis there.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4468 on: October 03, 2014, 05:16:21 AM »
I could her some squeaks and sounds from somewhere under the car and was just waiting for it to break down..

Once those two year old cars start squeaking it is just a matter of time before they break down!  It may take five or ten or fifteen years, but it is just a matter of time.

Pants

« Reply #4469 on: October 03, 2014, 05:21:04 AM »
The idea of taking a hotel room in your own town just blew my mind. Why?!!!!

Romlo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4470 on: October 03, 2014, 05:33:28 AM »
Great thread, and my very first post.

Today during lunch time, I explained that even though my tablet pc is old, takes a while to load, I am very happy with it.

A colleague replied that I should get a new Tablet pc. I replied that maybe, one day, I would want to, but would not get more value out of a new one now.

She replied "we should send you to a boot camp, to change your mind, and that you start buying more things. You should spend more money!"

I did not comment back, and realised I should share that with you guys instead!

Have a great day

Hitachi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4471 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:10 AM »
The idea of taking a hotel room in your own town just blew my mind. Why?!!!!

She said that they wanted to spoil themselves alittle and that they could go directly from some bar to the bed at the hotel whithout needing to get transportation home... To me it sounded just crazy, it is true that they live about 10 km outside the city but still..  I live even further from centre of the city and I never even take taxi home unless I miss the last bus in the morning and there are no other options..

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #4472 on: October 03, 2014, 06:47:44 AM »
She replied "we should send you to a boot camp, to change your mind, and that you start buying more things. You should spend more money!"

You know...so you can be broke like the rest of us!

Wow

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4473 on: October 03, 2014, 06:59:24 AM »
CO-Worker3-->ME : It looks like someone is jealous... Don't you have any plans to change your old car? (I drive a paid of -06 Volvo)
ME: No, why should I? Cars don't give me satisfaction, they are just a mean of transportation for me.

You (next time): "No, I'm flabbergasted that anyone would waste so much money trading in a perfectly good, almost new car!"

Or at least that's what I would say -- but then again, I'm not always very nice...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4474 on: October 03, 2014, 08:16:47 AM »

You (next time): "No, I'm flabbergasted that anyone would waste so much money trading in a perfectly good, almost new car!"

Or at least that's what I would say -- but then again, I'm not always very nice...
I'm flabbergasted that anyone thinks of a 2006 Volvo as an "old car."  It's probably nicer than a 2012 Kia.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4475 on: October 03, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
hehe, "old car" discussions at work are fun.

Three years ago, my new boss said something along the lines of "surely we pay you enough to get a new car" because my car was in the shop for like 2 days.

Three years later, and I still have that 2000 Camry. :)

It's not the most mustachian, but we also don't drive much so "eh."

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4476 on: October 03, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »
At a diner yesterday morning.  Waitress 1 (W1) asks Waitress 2 if she got word on her car from the mechanic yet:

W2:  Ugh.
W1: Not good, huh?
W2:  He said it would start at $2500.
W1: Is that worth it to repair the car or you gonna trade it in and get a new one?
W2: Well, he said if it's my main car, it might be worth repairing.  I guess $2500 is better than another $50,000 for a new one, but if I'm just going to start having problems with it. I'm thinking of selling one of the other cars, maybe the Tahoe . . .

I almost scarfed up my coffee.

hazelkate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4477 on: October 03, 2014, 10:30:10 AM »

I'm flabbergasted that anyone thinks of a 2006 Volvo as an "old car."  It's probably nicer than a 2012 Kia.

Ya, my 2000 Volvo runs just lovely. And she's 15 years old!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4478 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »

Three years ago, my new boss said something along the lines of "surely we pay you enough to get a new car" because my car was in the shop for like 2 days.

I got that line every single time I got a raise at my last job.  Apparently I was "making too much money" to be driving a 1989 f-150 that I bought for $700.  It had holes in the floor, was rusty everywhere, made awful noises but it got me to work every time. 

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4479 on: October 03, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »
We get the line about cars too, I don't understand why family cares that we drive older vehicles? Seriously why does it matter?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4480 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »
We get the line about cars too, I don't understand why family cares that we drive older vehicles? Seriously why does it matter?

Because it's an attack on their choices (for some reason).  Or they just worry about you getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, if it's your mom or dad being concerned, in my experience ;-)

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4481 on: October 03, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

Because it's an attack on their choices (for some reason).  Or they just worry about you getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, if it's your mom or dad being concerned, in my experience ;-)

Misery loves company and they think that everyone should suffer with crushing lease payments for a "safe & reliable" car. 

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4482 on: October 03, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »

You could have said something like clearly you don't...

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4483 on: October 03, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »

You could have said something like clearly you don't...

haha, I love it.

They'd have to pay me A LOT more for me to consider buying a new car...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4484 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
Or they just worry about you getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, if it's your mom or dad being concerned, in my experience ;-)

You don't know stranded in the middle of nowhere until your car dies during a cross-country drive.

Turns out, as long as you have a bit of cash and a credit card, it's really not a big deal.

Unless "middle of nowhere" is something like the yukon, or the haul road up to deadhorse / prudhoe, in which case you are shit outta luck. Get your car checked very well and do preventative maintenance before you do that...

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4485 on: October 03, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Or they just worry about you getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, if it's your mom or dad being concerned, in my experience ;-)
Turns out, as long as you have a bit of cash and a credit card, it's really not a big deal.

Agreed, but for some reason it seems to be a huge fear for a lot of people.  I had a car for about a year that was in such bad condition I told people that whenever I left in it, I never fully expected to get where I was going, which was completely true.  They always looked at me like I was insane for still driving the thing, but accepting and embracing the possibility of breaking down on the road was very liberating.  Every time I felt a weird bump or heard a noise from the engine or underside I'd go 'oh maybe this is finally it!'.  That car sucked in so many ways and I miss it dearly.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4486 on: October 03, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »

Misery loves company and they think that everyone should suffer with crushing lease payments for a "safe & reliable" car.

My family pays cash, but they are much more willing to have a bunch of cash tied up in new vehicles and I think they just like having diff. cars every few years, they aren't into buying luxury at least, they have a Civic and a CR-V but still.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4487 on: October 03, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »

Agreed, but for some reason it seems to be a huge fear for a lot of people.  I had a car for about a year that was in such bad condition I told people that whenever I left in it, I never fully expected to get where I was going, which was completely true.  They always looked at me like I was insane for still driving the thing, but accepting and embracing the possibility of breaking down on the road was very liberating.  Every time I felt a weird bump or heard a noise from the engine or underside I'd go 'oh maybe this is finally it!'.  That car sucked in so many ways and I miss it dearly.

My wife had a breakdown in our 2003 Focus two months ago on a lonely stretch of I-5 in Oregon.  It was the first time the car has had a breakdown of any kind and it ended up being a $1000 or so repair bill.  Waiting for the tow truck for over an hour with a 4 year old wasn't fun, but it wasn't the end of the world (forgetting to charge her cellphone came close though).  I was not pleased to spend the money, but most of it was budgeted for and it's still light years ahead of a car payment.  In contrast, one of my subordinates has a large pickup truck that someone backed into just before we deployed so he had to pay for part of that and he's still paying for the vehicle itself.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4488 on: October 03, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
We need to come up with a quick code word when we get too far down a follow up thread, or off topic.
Muskrat
GREAT!, now I have that stupid song stuck in my head...

Oh, how I want to Google a muskrat song, but I'm scared...

Oh, you are so young... Here, it's the kind of song that you think you hate, but your brain secretly likes it and makes it run in your head until you go insane, or think the only way out is to eat a bullet, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs

What did I just listen to? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Now the badger song. That I can get behind. Same with the Llama song.

This Muskrat thing is...odd, but kind of fun.

Agreed. Must be a generational thing. Each human generation evolves immunity to its parents' earworms but so too do the earworms evolve...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4489 on: October 03, 2014, 01:17:34 PM »
My wife had a breakdown in our 2003 Focus two months ago on a lonely stretch of I-5 in Oregon.  It was the first time the car has had a breakdown of any kind and it ended up being a $1000 or so repair bill.  Waiting for the tow truck for over an hour with a 4 year old wasn't fun, but it wasn't the end of the world (forgetting to charge her cellphone came close though).  I was not pleased to spend the money, but most of it was budgeted for and it's still light years ahead of a car payment.  In contrast, one of my subordinates has a large pickup truck that someone backed into just before we deployed so he had to pay for part of that and he's still paying for the vehicle itself.

It's actually a liberating experience: once you go through it, you stop worrying. It's the same as how kids who fall from a tree or a swing or whatever, and break an arm and a leg, end up being less afraid of heights than kids who don't: they realize it's really not a big deal.

Keep a cell charger in your car, though. Make sure your car can charge the phone when the engine isn't running. (My car does it fine; others might need to turn the key backwards, or forwards one stop without hitting ignition, or whatever.) If none of the above work... well, a spare battery, or a solar charger, or a battery phone case, or a battery powered phone charger, won't go amiss. Those options can be $5 or cheaper. For example, this cell charger is $3 shipped. It's important to have a good emergency road kit in your car, and though your definition of "good" may be different from mine, chances are that a way to charge your phone is part of it!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4490 on: October 03, 2014, 01:40:23 PM »

Ya, my 2000 Volvo runs just lovely. And she's 15 years old!
My 1996 Volvo did great too!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4491 on: October 03, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »
Why do volvo drivers seem to often get pissed when they get passed, and try to compete? It's volvo drivers, and men driving minivans, the two most common types of drivers who try to speed up when they get passed. (And women driving huge SUVs, too.)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4492 on: October 03, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
Keep a cell charger in your car

She has a plug-in - sometimes two if I leave mine in the car.  She just forgot to plug it in and drained what was left using the phone and looking up a few things online.  She probably could have charged it using just the car battery after they pulled over, but since she didn't know what happened to the car I think she was afraid of touching anything.

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #4493 on: October 03, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4494 on: October 04, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »
Everything's shiny, cap'n.

+1
+1.

but argh!  My favorite show is also a favorite of what would have then been a 13 yr old?!    This should be an old person reference.  Maybe I need to grow up :¬}

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4495 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »

My boss's boss's boss (who I've known for 14+ years) still drives the car he had when I met and worked directly for him, in 2000.  I think it's a 1998 mustang.

sky_northern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4496 on: October 04, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
I live in a small town this is a conversation with a new (female) co-worker that moved from Toronto about two months ago:

CW: When I'm dating someone they always gain weight, I don't know why, I don't know how to cook.
Me: Well they probably end up taking you out to eat a lot. But how could you not know how to cook?
CW: Well, I cook now, but in the city I never cook.
Me: That's crazy. Must be expensive too.
CW: No, in the city there is food everywhere, you can buy a meal for 5-8 dollars so it's cheaper than cooking for a single person.
Me: No, it's not, I call bullshit.
CW: What, no it is cheaper.
Me: I can make a pot of chili for 5 bucks and eat for a week. (if it's meat chilli and you are buying meant that 5 bucks might be an exaggeration but I get wild meat for free.)
CW: Who wants to eat chili for a week straight?
Me: That's what fridges and freezers were invented for- you don't actually have to eat chili for a week, but it's a week worth of meals.
CW2: (maybe trying to release tension?)yum, Chili, I have a great recipe I should make some this weekend now that it's getting cold.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4497 on: October 04, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »

+1
+1.

but argh!  My favorite show is also a favorite of what would have then been a 13 yr old?!    This should be an old person reference.  Maybe I need to grow up :¬}

Brown coats can be any age!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jordanread

« Reply #4498 on: October 04, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »

+1
+1.

Brown coats can be any age!
+1. Yes we can.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #4499 on: October 04, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »

This one hour tow truck wait and having cellphone reception amuses me.  I am reminded of this post: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/is-a-new-car-reasonable-in-australia/msg278647/#msg278647 . That being said, I don't know that older cars have particularly been commented on at work (well aside from a few people having older cars themselves).