Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252562 times)

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3900 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
Without becoming the poster child for insane behavior, I don't love leftovers after day 2 either.  Chili is great, leftover chili is delicious, but if I eat it more than 4 times in a week, I don't want to eat it again for months.  Luckily, batch cooking and reformulating leftovers (day 1, roast chicken, day 2, chicken soup, day 3, chicken enchiladas) solves my problem.  That, and sometimes I just put on my big girl pants and eat it even if I don't want to, because plenty of people go hungry in the world and "I'm sorry, I'm tired of having this specific totally edible and delicious meal" is just ridiculous on its face.

Am I the only one who thinks spaghetti taste BETTER as leftovers? Maybe I'm crazy.

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3901 on: August 28, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »
Without becoming the poster child for insane behavior, I don't love leftovers after day 2 either.  Chili is great, leftover chili is delicious, but if I eat it more than 4 times in a week, I don't want to eat it again for months.  Luckily, batch cooking and reformulating leftovers (day 1, roast chicken, day 2, chicken soup, day 3, chicken enchiladas) solves my problem.  That, and sometimes I just put on my big girl pants and eat it even if I don't want to, because plenty of people go hungry in the world and "I'm sorry, I'm tired of having this specific totally edible and delicious meal" is just ridiculous on its face.

Am I the only one who thinks spaghetti taste BETTER as leftovers? Maybe I'm crazy.

Pasta sauce is better the second day.  Leftover pasta?  I prefer it on the day I make it.  If there is enough sauce for day three, I will either freeze or use it in a casserole or eggplant parmesan.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #3902 on: August 28, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
So I have suggested batch cooking in the past (when money was tight so he cooked dinner), but he says he won't eat leftovers. That is also his excuse for continuing to buy lunch everyday. I don't get. I love leftovers because then I don't have to cook and for a lot of food I cook the flavor gets better once it sits overnight.

I have been told that by numerous people I have known, I just don't it.

I didn't used to eat vegetables. Until after college. But hey, I eat them now. People learn.

When people say they refuse to eat leftovers, I wonder if they never learned how to store food or how to reuse food as an ingredient. Chili stored properly in the fridge overnight and then put in a tortilla shell with some cheese makes a good burrito. Or a bunch of those burritos lined up in a casserole dish and covered in salsa and cheese makes an excellent entirely new meal. But if the "won't eat leftovers" person just leaves the day old chili in the pot and tries to eat it as is for breakfast or even worse doesn't think to at least put the pot in the fridge... Well I can see how leftovers can quickly become disgusting for a person lacking in basic kitchen skills.

No those people are just idiots.  I have known people that have an aversion to left overs.  They don't apply any type of logic or food safety arguments to their aversion.  It's more like "you prepared that food for dinner yesterday? THEN IT'S OLD! I need (and deserve) fresh food, prepared today, specifically for the meal i'm going to eat!"  They can't be reasoned with.

Is this really a real thing?  I've never been confused so much in my life.  Like...what about apples?  Apples are (probably) trucked across the country and sit in the store a few days and then normal people eat them over the course of a week.  Do they not eat that because its old?  How is say, a day-old salad any different?  Who ARE these people?

I hate wasting food so I am absolutely horrified by this.

It is most definitely a real thing.  I know several people who have an aversion to having the same meal more than once per week.  I have a relative (by marriage, not sure why I feel the need to distance myself...) who will eat a meal one time.  Meaning, if you make chicken soup, he will eat it the day you make it.  If you made a pot, and there are still 8 bowls left the next day, he would literally throw it out before he ate it for another meal.

this sounds similar to a study in which they found that the more options people were given the more likely they were to be picky.

if wonder if this is because we live in world in which i can have not only different proteins every night of the week but different type of cooking... Mexican, fast food, sushi, middle eastern etc.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #3903 on: August 28, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »
In the hallway outside my office, two equity partners in my BigLaw firm (the top 100 largest law firms = BigLaw) were discussing retirement.  They're both in their mid- to late-fifties.  They've both been EQUITY partners for roughly twenty years now.  Note . . . profits per equity partner at my firm hover around $950,000 annually.  Yes, you read that correctly.

P1:  "I'd love to retire, but I don't have enough money."

P2:  "Me too.  And it's not like we can count on social security."

This happened about two weeks ago and I still don't understand.   Neither partner is a spendy guy.  They each drive a Prius.  They have middle class-type houses.  Nice, but not swanky.   Maybe it's fear talking?  SMH

Ignoring taxes and using rough numbers...  So if they save about 15% or 150k per year and spend 800K.  Which normal people would see as being very responsible.  They'd need about 20M in the bank for a 4%SWR.  Takes a long time to get there saving 150k/yr.

Even if they spent a mere 40% or so. They'd save about 550k/yr but they'd need 10M for a 4%SWR if the wanted to maintain current lifestyle in retirement.  That still will take a while. 

If they spent 100k per year and saved the rest they could retire in less than 4 years.

Don't ignore taxes, in an all cash comp scenario they would approach 50%, depending on the state, but most big law is located in high tax states.   

Having been a partner at Big Strategy Consulting, that conversation doesn't surprise me at all.   Most of these guys save a pretty small amount of their take home, and spend the rest.   And if they are on wife #2, even worse. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3904 on: August 28, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »

Fucking right man.  Sometimes we even intentionally make stuff the night before so it will be at the peak of the cooked-then refrigerated over night-then reheated flavor.  I find it with more than just spaghetti.  Almost any type of dish that has multiple ingredients tossed together seem to soak up each other's flavoring and be at optimal taste the second day.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #3905 on: August 28, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
The leftovers conversation reminds me of something one of my high school teachers said that even as a 17 year old confused the crap out of me. I can't remember why on earth she was discussing this with the class in the first place, but she said something like "taking food home in a doggie bag is so gross. What do you do, eat it on the way home? That's disgusting." To this day I have no idea why that teacher didn't understand the concept of leftovers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3906 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »
In the hallway outside my office, two equity partners in my BigLaw firm (the top 100 largest law firms = BigLaw) were discussing retirement.  They're both in their mid- to late-fifties.  They've both been EQUITY partners for roughly twenty years now.  Note . . . profits per equity partner at my firm hover around $950,000 annually.  Yes, you read that correctly.

This happened about two weeks ago and I still don't understand.   Neither partner is a spendy guy.  They each drive a Prius.  They have middle class-type houses.  Nice, but not swanky.   Maybe it's fear talking?  SMH

Ignoring taxes and using rough numbers...  So if they save about 15% or 150k per year and spend 800K.  Which normal people would see as being very responsible.  They'd need about 20M in the bank for a 4%SWR.  Takes a long time to get there saving 150k/yr.

Even if they spent a mere 40% or so. They'd save about 550k/yr but they'd need 10M for a 4%SWR if the wanted to maintain current lifestyle in retirement.  That still will take a while. 

If they spent 100k per year and saved the rest they could retire in less than 4 years.

You really can't ignore taxes on $1 million income.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3907 on: August 28, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
Does anybody else toss the noodles into the sauce and cook it for about a minute before serving? Don't drain, just throw em in there and it'll soak up the sauce flavors.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3908 on: August 28, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »
Does anybody else toss the noodles into the sauce and cook it for about a minute before serving? Don't drain, just throw em in there and it'll soak up the sauce flavors.

I do.

Also while we're talking pasta, my neighbor makes a pasta meat sauce using bacon grease as the base. I've tried it, and it's well worth the price of admission.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3909 on: August 28, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
There are too many nice things that call for mashed potato for anyone to not like leftovers. Because making mashed potatoes just especially to then turn around and start cooking the actually thing you wanted to make is a colossal waste of time. Those recipes are for the days after you've made and eaten mashed potatoes. Hmmm, must do a roast soon. Lots of mash and then potato cakes for dinner the next day. Yum.

Edited to add: While I'm the kind of person who can happily eat the same thing for days in a row, I do know lots of people who feel deprived if they have to eat the same thing even twice. And I used to have a colleague with pretty bad IBS who said that one of the important things they had to do was make sure to not eat the same things every day. But even if you don't actually want to eat leftovers immediately, you can still put them into the freezer and have them next week, or the week after, or the week after that!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:26:31 PM by Moonwaves »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3910 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »

I'll just leave this here: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

Ybserp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3911 on: August 28, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
I admit I do hate eating the same thing for dinner twice in a row. I'm happy to have lunch the next day be yesterday's dinner, but I don't want to go have that same thing a third time for dinner. I love to freeze things instead and have meal sized portions to pull out whenever I next want that thing.

Some weeks I go entirely without new cooking by eating from my freezer. When I can do this, it feels like the height of luxury to me. I feel sorry for people who don't make their own frozen food. Making my own is so much more choice than the frozen food isle, so much less expensive, and best of all, so much more delicious!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3912 on: August 28, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
For some people, like my husband, "leftovers" were half-portions of something that got stuck in the fridge, not properly wrapped or covered, and forgotten about. When you pulled them out to eat them, they were dried out (or soggy, or slimy), cold, greasy, stale, or smelly. You held your nose and ate them anyway, but were still hungry. If they were really old or smelly, they could make you gag.

If that's your only experience of leftovers, it's hard to realize that properly prepared and stored food can be just as delicious as it was when freshly cooked. Happily, my husband has no problem eating frozen-and-reheated home-cooked meals and even does some batch cooking himself. I still can't get him to make extras of stuff to eat later in the week, though. Whatever is made for dinner, you eat it all or throw it out.

I don't like to eat the same main dish all week. If I make a big pot of lentils, the leftovers  get frozen for future dinners. Sides/salads/accompaniments are great, though, like roasted vegs, slaw, potatoes, and so on.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3913 on: August 28, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »

Granted.  But they've been equity partners since the early 1990's.  Even if profit-per-partner were lower then and even with taxes taking, say..., half of that amount that's still huge coin.  Every year.  For two decades.  On top of their salary. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3914 on: August 28, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
Wow, I really don't get the leftovers-aversion thing either. This:

I love leftovers because then I don't have to cook and for a lot of food I cook the flavor gets better once it sits overnight.

is so right on! Leftovers are a godsend! I will say, fish are not my favorite leftovers and neither are salads that have already had the dressing put on (I know, operator error).

The teacher's doggie bag comment is also unbelievably bizarre. For starters, it sounds about a million times less gross if you call it a "to-go box" instead of a doggie bag. Plus, these are like the cream of the crop leftovers... not only do you not have to cook it when you eat the leftovers,  you didn't even have to cook it in the first place! What a luxury! (again, an exception for me would be sandwiches or burgers, these usually kind of suck as leftovers, but I eat them anyway)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3915 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

Granted.  But they've been equity partners since the early 1990's.  Even if profit-per-partner were lower then and even with taxes taking, say..., half of that amount that's still huge coin.  Every year.  For two decades.  On top of their salary.
Anyone who has made it to partner in Big Law has done it because they are the kind of person who is not going to want to retire early and so isn't going to care that much about saving for retirement.  And a partner who does have early retirement/FU money is certainly not going to admit it to another partner, because that might call into question their commitment to the firm.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3916 on: August 28, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's not how partner compensation works, but feel free to correct me if you know for sure.  Either way, high-earning partners definitely skew the average higher,

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #3917 on: August 28, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
At a meeting yesterday with seven middle-aged women (myself included) and one young dude. One of these BIOTCHES starts blasting him about an old scooter his grandpa gave him. He's been driving it to work with a milk crate attached to the back. I'm thinking this guy is alright (he also bikes everywhere).

Another snide Biotch says, "Scooters are for teenagers and old people." Table erupts with laughter.

Guy shrugs sheepishly - playing the good sport.  These women are just laying into the poor dude razzing him terribly.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and say, "Well, I guess he's got the last laugh considering he's got no car payment and probably saves $300 a month on gasoline."

That shut the table up pretty quickly. BIOTCHES.

P.S. Last spring we changed 403b providers at work and there were initially problems with the new company posting contributions in a timely manner.  Same group of us were around the table when I asked in general if anyone else was having the problem I was having w/contributions posting to their accounts. Everybody looked at me blankly because NONE OF THEM contribute to the 403b and therefore had no idea what I was talking about EXCEPT Scooter Dude. He also contributes and knew about the technical glitch. Ha!

I love this story, but my favorite part is that you, a 40-year-old self-proclaimed middle-aged woman, goes by the name FartFace and calls people BIOTCHES and Scooter Dude.  Cracks me up.

Ha! Thanks. I definitely DO NOT act my age and have very little in common with my "esteemed" colleagues. Thank goodness for this forum where I can let it all hang out!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3918 on: August 28, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
Anyone who has made it to partner in Big Law has done it because they are the kind of person who is not going to want to retire early

This guy gets it. Not everyone's goal is to stop working. Some people want to work till they die, because they enjoy the work - and in this case, likely enjoy the power and status that comes with it. Not for any want of money.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3919 on: August 28, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »
At a meeting yesterday with seven middle-aged women (myself included) and one young dude. One of these BIOTCHES starts blasting him about an old scooter his grandpa gave him. He's been driving it to work with a milk crate attached to the back. I'm thinking this guy is alright (he also bikes everywhere).

Another snide Biotch says, "Scooters are for teenagers and old people." Table erupts with laughter.

Guy shrugs sheepishly - playing the good sport.  These women are just laying into the poor dude razzing him terribly.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and say, "Well, I guess he's got the last laugh considering he's got no car payment and probably saves $300 a month on gasoline."

That shut the table up pretty quickly. BIOTCHES.

P.S. Last spring we changed 403b providers at work and there were initially problems with the new company posting contributions in a timely manner.  Same group of us were around the table when I asked in general if anyone else was having the problem I was having w/contributions posting to their accounts. Everybody looked at me blankly because NONE OF THEM contribute to the 403b and therefore had no idea what I was talking about EXCEPT Scooter Dude. He also contributes and knew about the technical glitch. Ha!

I love this story, but my favorite part is that you, a 40-year-old self-proclaimed middle-aged woman, goes by the name FartFace and calls people BIOTCHES and Scooter Dude.  Cracks me up.

+1. :)

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #3920 on: August 28, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »

Pasta sauce is better the second day.  Leftover pasta?  I prefer it on the day I make it.  If there is enough sauce for day three, I will either freeze or use it in a casserole or eggplant parmesan.

Mix it in with the pasta and let it sit overnight. I think the pasta absorbs some of the flavoring. It tastes better the second day.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3921 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:38 PM »

Fucking right man.  Sometimes we even intentionally make stuff the night before so it will be at the peak of the cooked-then refrigerated over night-then reheated flavor.  I find it with more than just spaghetti.  Almost any type of dish that has multiple ingredients tossed together seem to soak up each other's flavoring and be at optimal taste the second day.

I do this as well. I love sauce soaked pasta leftovers. I often "accidentally" make too much and when my husband comments on avoiding waste, I sigh and promise that I will make up for my mistake the next day. All the while I'm laughing evilly inside thinking "It's mine! All mine! Bwa ha ha!

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #3922 on: August 28, 2014, 09:27:04 PM »

To be fair, some people do, and some of those people are in prison.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3923 on: August 29, 2014, 02:37:59 AM »

To be fair, some people do, and some of those people are in prison.
And some are still in congress! :D

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #3924 on: August 29, 2014, 04:07:05 AM »
My boss, who will retire in 3 years at 55 after working in the same government office for 37 years, was complaining that her pension was only $45000 a year! She couldn't figure out how she was supposed to live on that small of a pension!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3925 on: August 29, 2014, 05:22:00 AM »
Dang one person 45k. My wife and I aren't full mustache but plan to live on 55k

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3926 on: August 29, 2014, 06:04:36 AM »
My boss, who will retire in 3 years at 55 after working in the same government office for 37 years, was complaining that her pension was only $45000 a year! She couldn't figure out how she was supposed to live on that small of a pension!
Wow, $45k would send me into retirement pronto, even with the 5 little kids at home!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3927 on: August 29, 2014, 06:11:11 AM »
Dang one person 45k. My wife and I aren't full mustache but plan to live on 55k

To be fair, $45k probably wouldn't sustain the vast majority of people in their 50s who are working at this point.

But.... it'd definitely sustain me :D

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #3928 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:36 AM »
Quote from: frugalnacho on August 28, 2014, 02:22:42 PM

Quote from: shotgunwilly on August 28, 2014, 12:27:54 PM

Quote from: deedeezee on August 28, 2014, 12:24:56 PM

I do this as well. I love sauce soaked pasta leftovers. I often "accidentally" make too much and when my husband comments on avoiding waste, I sigh and promise that I will make up for my mistake the next day. All the while I'm laughing evilly inside thinking "It's mine! All mine! Bwa ha ha!

Yeah when I was a kid I thought that some dishes were meant to taste better the day after. My parents were sort of 'well, we'll eat some tonight, but it's not going to be really ready until tomorrow night', when we ate the rest of it. You have to give it time for the flavours/magic to work :)

PloddingInsight

• Bristles
« Reply #3929 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:53 AM »
To be fair, $45k probably wouldn't sustain the vast majority of people in their 50s who are working at this point.

But.... it'd definitely sustain me :D

Median personal income is near 45k, isn't it?  I'd say it would sustain at least half of us.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #3930 on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
Yeah when I was a kid I thought that some dishes were meant to taste better the day after. My parents were sort of 'well, we'll eat some tonight, but it's not going to be really ready until tomorrow night', when we ate the rest of it. You have to give it time for the flavours/magic to work :)

My husband teases me a bit, but I often cook food for the purpose of eating it the next day. I figure, if I'm in the kitchen anyways, and have the oven going, I might as well make two dishes at the same time, and not have to cook tomorrow!

But then again, I've always been a leftover lover.  Even as a child, I would usually turn down the offer for freshly made breakfast food, and opt to eat last night's dinner. And I brought both my breakfast and lunch with me today - one is two nights ago's dinner, and the other is last night's. Yeah.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:19:40 PM by Fonzico »

Ripandel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3931 on: August 29, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »
My colleague told me of her friend who buys stuff from web stores and doesn't bother to return the wrong size ones "Because it's too much trouble". Apparently she has quite a big storage of unused shoes and clothes...

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3932 on: August 29, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
My colleague told me of her friend who buys stuff from web stores and doesn't bother to return the wrong size ones "Because it's too much trouble". Apparently she has quite a big storage of unused shoes and clothes...
Sounds like a good opportunity- especially if they still have tags & such, offer to buy them for pennies on the dollar and resell them. ;)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3933 on: August 29, 2014, 01:49:24 PM »
Don't use the train much (a bit, but not much, I end up flying a lot, and have a partner bahncard 25 when we do use the train, which usually pays itself in one/two trips). Also I pay up the cards but normally don't maintain a positive balance on them (given the interest...): qq, isn't ECB-0.5 negative these days? (IIRC ECB is at 0.25 and -0.15...)

Edited to add: I was too optimistic, it's -0.10 (for deposits) and 0.15 (for lending). Either way -0.5 will bring it to way negative, no?
As I was writing that I was thinking the same thing. I don't manage to maintain much of a positive balance for long enough to really notice yet but now I'm curious about it. Think I'll phone them to see what they say. Oh, and I just checked a statement and it's ECB -0.3% for balances up to 5,000, ECB over 5,000 and ECB +0.3% for over 20,000 (ha! If I had 20,000, I'd definitely be doing something better with it than leaving it on a credit card!)
And it turns out that I missed the notification on a statement a few months ago that they no longer offer interest on a positive balance. So, sorry for the confusion and false information.

I still do get points using the card though, so today I went to a supermarket and bought a couple of gift cards - should help me to keep me focused on not spending more than that to the end of the month in the supermarket.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3934 on: August 29, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
Anyone who has made it to partner in Big Law has done it because they are the kind of person who is not going to want to retire early

This guy gets it. Not everyone's goal is to stop working. Some people want to work till they die, because they enjoy the work - and in this case, likely enjoy the power and status that comes with it. Not for any want of money.

Absolutely, but it's an alien thought to most on this forum. When you retire you get to keep your saved money, but lose most of your power and social status.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3935 on: August 29, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »

When I was a kid we called this used spaghetti.  I love it cold.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3936 on: August 29, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »
Yes, you are supposed to do it that way actually: http://youtu.be/HBpbWhfsBxw

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3937 on: August 29, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »
Yikes, I looked at that picture and my first thought was - flies and mosquitoes in the house!!.  Screens were invented for a reason.

The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 900ft2. It was an amazing realization that the actual size wasn't the issue, it was the layout. When we look at places now, I immediately look for load-bearing walls. Ideally, I'd love something like the big glass walls that fold out and make a seamless integration to the outdoor living space, but that might be overkill. Kind of something like this:

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3938 on: August 29, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
Yikes, I looked at that picture and my first thought was - flies and mosquitoes in the house!!.  Screens were invented for a reason.

The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 900ft2. It was an amazing realization that the actual size wasn't the issue, it was the layout. When we look at places now, I immediately look for load-bearing walls. Ideally, I'd love something like the big glass walls that fold out and make a seamless integration to the outdoor living space, but that might be overkill. Kind of something like this:

I thought this a cool setup.
It doesn't need be left open when there's heavy bug population.
I often daydream of putting a garage door in our house so that I could totally open a whole wall.  But I am the outdoorsy type  - YMMV.

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3939 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »
So I have suggested batch cooking in the past (when money was tight so he cooked dinner), but he says he won't eat leftovers. That is also his excuse for continuing to buy lunch everyday. I don't get. I love leftovers because then I don't have to cook and for a lot of food I cook the flavor gets better once it sits overnight.

I have been told that by numerous people I have known, I just don't it.

I didn't used to eat vegetables. Until after college. But hey, I eat them now. People learn.

When people say they refuse to eat leftovers, I wonder if they never learned how to store food or how to reuse food as an ingredient. Chili stored properly in the fridge overnight and then put in a tortilla shell with some cheese makes a good burrito. Or a bunch of those burritos lined up in a casserole dish and covered in salsa and cheese makes an excellent entirely new meal. But if the "won't eat leftovers" person just leaves the day old chili in the pot and tries to eat it as is for breakfast or even worse doesn't think to at least put the pot in the fridge... Well I can see how leftovers can quickly become disgusting for a person lacking in basic kitchen skills.

No those people are just idiots.  I have known people that have an aversion to left overs.  They don't apply any type of logic or food safety arguments to their aversion.  It's more like "you prepared that food for dinner yesterday? THEN IT'S OLD! I need (and deserve) fresh food, prepared today, specifically for the meal i'm going to eat!"  They can't be reasoned with.

Is this really a real thing?  I've never been confused so much in my life.  Like...what about apples?  Apples are (probably) trucked across the country and sit in the store a few days and then normal people eat them over the course of a week.  Do they not eat that because its old?  How is say, a day-old salad any different?  Who ARE these people?

I hate wasting food so I am absolutely horrified by this.

My mom (who is not a mustachian!) tells the thirty-five year old story with horror in her voice like it was yesterday: she put out cheese, crackers, and grapes for a visiting Relative, and at the end of the hour, Relative helped carry things into the kitchen - and slid the entire tray into the garbage because it had "been out." Mom dove into the garbage and rinsed off the grapes, and every year at Thanksgiving would loudly announce that relative didn't need to help clean up because day-after turkey-stuffing-cranberry sandwiches are the best thing ever and if she threw the leftovers in the trash there would be blood. They laughed about it every year and neither swayed the other - Relative was a good sport about the joke but thought we were crazy for eating food a second time.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3940 on: August 29, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »
eating food a second time.

Well, it does sound kind of gross. ;)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3941 on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:38 PM »

I've been known in the past to make risotto or pasta dishes for the sole purpose of being able to bake the leftovers with grated cheese on top the next day. YUM YUM YUM

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #3942 on: August 30, 2014, 12:40:06 AM »

Yes. Or you can't cook spaghetti. :) :) (sorry, nothing personal, but I've seen spaghetti being maimed in many many ways over the course of my life). On the other hand luckily spaghetti (and any other pasta) takes about 10 minutes to make, and thus can be made fresh "to measure" easily every time one needs some. And of course big amount of pasta sauce can be prepared in one go and then frozen (at least for sauces taking more than 30min to prepare).

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #3943 on: August 30, 2014, 12:46:17 AM »

This is actually very true for some dishes. :) Tiramisu that hasn't been in the fridge for 24h -> not good enough! :)

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3944 on: August 30, 2014, 01:56:10 AM »

Yes. Or you can't cook spaghetti. :) :) (sorry, nothing personal, but I've seen spaghetti being maimed in many many ways over the course of my life). On the other hand luckily spaghetti (and any other pasta) takes about 10 minutes to make, and thus can be made fresh "to measure" easily every time one needs some. And of course big amount of pasta sauce can be prepared in one go and then frozen (at least for sauces taking more than 30min to prepare).

+1

missksaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Saving for FU $, then FIRE
« Reply #3945 on: August 30, 2014, 02:16:36 AM »
My overheard at work is a teammate casually mentioning she is going to take out loan from credit union to finally pay down her credit card debt.

That's great trying to pay down high interest credit card debt but the reason why she mentioned it is b/c of the convenience that they will automatically garnish her paycheck to pay it back. She just tells that how much she wants to borrow and how much to take out of her weekly paycheck... . She and another coworker have done it more than once apparently to take out loans to cover bills from shopping.

I didn't know what to say to that so I kept quiet.

I'm only starting to grow my 'stache but still sounds like the same cycle of consumer debt to me.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #3946 on: August 30, 2014, 05:16:28 AM »

I often daydream of putting a garage door in our house so that I could totally open a whole wall.  But I am the outdoorsy type  - YMMV.
The modification I would do would be to add a flyscreen set of bifolds (or whatever they do for the fly screens) on top of the glass bifolds.  That way you can have bug free open doors, although where I am the flies die off in winter and don't come back until the wind brings them down when it gets warmer, so for parts of spring it tends to be pretty bug free and warm enough to have the doors open.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3947 on: August 30, 2014, 06:44:48 AM »
Finally have one.  I'm a custom cabinet installer, so it can be a solitary existence on the job site.  I'm either alone most of the time, or working with ESL painters (English second language.) 

However, the other day I had the unfortunate privilege of working with another installer.  I've known this guy for years, and I'm not a fan of his.  But I digress...As a custom cabinet installer, I've learned the hard way over the years to buy quality tools that will last.  Higher up front cost (mitigated by using CL, but less likely to have to replace.). His near constant remarks of calling me "big money" and "I wish I could afford your nice Festools" are, somewhat ironically, followed up by telling me he "Just got his old boat back" (he had to sell it when the economy tanked).  And he followed that up by telling me he and his buddy are going halves on a new 24' center console boat.  "The payment is only 250.00! (Over ten years, mind you.) "That's only 125.00 a month since we're splitting the payments."

Oh, and this is so the same guy that's had to find work out of state because he had to chase money elsewhere because he didn't have the savings to weather the downturn...

I'm a new mustacian, but in this industry, you either save your money when the gettins good, or your toast when it eventually tanks. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:46:25 AM by Jon Hilgenberg »

jordanread

« Reply #3948 on: August 30, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »

The modification I would do would be to add a flyscreen set of bifolds (or whatever they do for the fly screens) on top of the glass bifolds.  That way you can have bug free open doors, although where I am the flies die off in winter and don't come back until the wind brings them down when it gets warmer, so for parts of spring it tends to be pretty bug free and warm enough to have the doors open.
I've always wondered about the "fly doors" that I see in restaurants or bars. It's a fan that sits above the for and the flies won't go inside through the wind. Haven't looked into it too much, because gf isn't sold on the idea, plus, with my dogs and chickens, the Muscovy ducks keep flies to a minimum.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3949 on: August 30, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »
That setup looks lovely, and then the dog could go in and out at will.

Around here the fly/black fly/mosquito season is from early spring to late fall.  If it is warm enough to have the doors open, it is warm enough for flies.  Mostly to go outside it is - openthedoorgetoutsideclosethedoorbeforethefliesgetin. Coming in is faster, because they will follow you in.  Of course wet summers are worse than dry ones.

However, I do leave my sliding door and screen door open for a few minutes in the late evening when I put the dog out for the last time - it lets cool air (say 15C) in the house and the flies have gone to bed.

Given my climate, do not ask me why I live here.  ;-)

I've always wondered about the "fly doors" that I see in restaurants or bars. It's a fan that sits above the for and the flies won't go inside through the wind. Haven't looked into it too much, because gf isn't sold on the idea, plus, with my dogs and chickens, the Muscovy ducks keep flies to a minimum.