Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252852 times)

klystomane

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9350 on: July 20, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »

Yeah, that happens. Have you tried Swaddlers sensitive? They're much cheaper. The preemie ones they sell to hospitals are the Swaddlers sensitive and we used them. They are really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Swaddlers-Sensitive-Diapers-Economy/dp/B00DFFT9S6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437408080&sr=8-1&keywords=swaddlers+sensitive

http://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Sensitive-Wipes-Box-Count/dp/B005DLCJX2/ref=pd_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0X36QBCPFYXXJ0V04EWR

These might work too:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Elements-Wipes-Unscented-Flip-Top/dp/B00OPH8HYA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437408161&sr=1-3&keywords=amazon+elements+baby+wipes
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendations; I'll do some research.

We recently tried regular Swaddlers as our daughter seems to be outgrowing the allergies a little bit and we wanted something thinner (Honest diapers are pretty thick)...no noticeable rashes or anything have developed...so far so good.

My issue with the alternatives for the wipes is how many chemicals they put in them, but 7 cents/wipe does hurt.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #9351 on: July 20, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
Painfully witnessed in person at work: some guy completely flunked his in-person interview for a technical lead position. There had been two separate phone screens before hand, where the person appeared very knowledgeable and competent, whereas this guy was rambling platitudes and offering no specifics whatsoever when prompted.

We are now thinking that this guy paid an experienced professional to take the phone screen for him, somehow hoping that he could BS his way through the rest of the interview process. This company operates in an industry where background checks are notoriously thorough, so I don't know how he could possibly think that he could get away with this. Mind blown.

Yep. Mind blown. We had a fellow interview for "welder" at a factory I worked at. He interviewed well but when the lead welder went back into the shop later that afternoon - this guy was back there trying to weld and WITHOUT A HELMET!!! Didn't seem to think there was any need for a helmet didn't seem to know what a helmet did for you except perhaps th sparks off of your face. Fired on the spot.

I assume everyone here knows what welding is. If not I recommend watching any of the You Tube videos from a user called "WeldingTips and Tricks".

My mother was semi-famous in her ability to 'interview well'.  She would do one thing for a while, decide she wanted to do something completely different, and try to interview for the job.  This was before the Internet, so there wasn't really any searching for stuff online.  She once interviewed at a company for a welding position on a Friday.  She got the offer on the spot, starting on Monday.  Now, my dad was a true, "Jack of all Trades" and a master of several.  When she got home and told my dad at dinner, I literally heard him say, "Okay then, I have till Sunday night to teach you how to weld."  She had that job for 5 or 6 months, and they even offered her a lower management position, but she was already tired of the hot work; so she next got a job as a nurse at a retirement home.  She was never fired from any job, and her resume is a dozen pages long.

Can she write a book? She probably has some awesome stories.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #9352 on: July 20, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9353 on: July 20, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
On the other ends of the world even Chinese try to emit less CO2. m(
Are you serious?
Are you?

How about now?

But wait, there's more.

Dang. I had no idea. Thanks for the links!

When China wants to get something done, just stand out of their way and watch with awe. I had a professor tell about Shanghai wanting to add more greenery to the city. So instead of just planting some trees, the city leaders went to another region and bought an entire forest, chopped down the trees, and transported them to Shanghai and replanted them. BOOM!

Apostrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9354 on: July 20, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »
A 26 year old co-worker just "bought" a new car, financed 100% with negative equity rolled into it from her trade-in.

She was proud of the way she handled the salesman when they started to "get confusing" about her trade-in amount. She described her conversation as "Look, I don't care what you do with the trade-in value or the price of the car, do whatever you have to do, but my payment needs to be less than what I'm paying now."

Oy.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9355 on: July 20, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »
Painfully witnessed in person at work: some guy completely flunked his in-person interview for a technical lead position. There had been two separate phone screens before hand, where the person appeared very knowledgeable and competent, whereas this guy was rambling platitudes and offering no specifics whatsoever when prompted.

We are now thinking that this guy paid an experienced professional to take the phone screen for him, somehow hoping that he could BS his way through the rest of the interview process. This company operates in an industry where background checks are notoriously thorough, so I don't know how he could possibly think that he could get away with this. Mind blown.

Yep. Mind blown. We had a fellow interview for "welder" at a factory I worked at. He interviewed well but when the lead welder went back into the shop later that afternoon - this guy was back there trying to weld and WITHOUT A HELMET!!! Didn't seem to think there was any need for a helmet didn't seem to know what a helmet did for you except perhaps th sparks off of your face. Fired on the spot.

I assume everyone here knows what welding is. If not I recommend watching any of the You Tube videos from a user called "WeldingTips and Tricks".

My mother was semi-famous in her ability to 'interview well'.  She would do one thing for a while, decide she wanted to do something completely different, and try to interview for the job.  This was before the Internet, so there wasn't really any searching for stuff online.  She once interviewed at a company for a welding position on a Friday.  She got the offer on the spot, starting on Monday.  Now, my dad was a true, "Jack of all Trades" and a master of several.  When she got home and told my dad at dinner, I literally heard him say, "Okay then, I have till Sunday night to teach you how to weld."  She had that job for 5 or 6 months, and they even offered her a lower management position, but she was already tired of the hot work; so she next got a job as a nurse at a retirement home.  She was never fired from any job, and her resume is a dozen pages long.

Can she write a book? She probably has some awesome stories.

As noted above, she is unlikely to finish the book.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #9356 on: July 20, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »

Yeah, that happens. Have you tried Swaddlers sensitive? They're much cheaper. The preemie ones they sell to hospitals are the Swaddlers sensitive and we used them. They are really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Swaddlers-Sensitive-Diapers-Economy/dp/B00DFFT9S6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437408080&sr=8-1&keywords=swaddlers+sensitive

http://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Sensitive-Wipes-Box-Count/dp/B005DLCJX2/ref=pd_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0X36QBCPFYXXJ0V04EWR

These might work too:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Elements-Wipes-Unscented-Flip-Top/dp/B00OPH8HYA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437408161&sr=1-3&keywords=amazon+elements+baby+wipes

Thanks for the recommendations; I'll do some research.

We recently tried regular Swaddlers as our daughter seems to be outgrowing the allergies a little bit and we wanted something thinner (Honest diapers are pretty thick)...no noticeable rashes or anything have developed...so far so good.

My issue with the alternatives for the wipes is how many chemicals they put in them, but 7 cents/wipe does hurt.
[/quote]

You can make your own wipes and choose your ingredients.  Saw a roll of nice thick paper towels in half (so you have two halves about the size of a roll of toilet paper each).  In the meantime, take a large container with a lid (rubber maid makes nice ones) and stir together two cups of water, and two tablespoons each of baby shampoo and lotion (you choose the brand, whatever works for your baby's bum).  Don't shake it, just stir!   Push the half paper towel roll down into the liquid, put the lid on, and let it sit for a couple of hours.  Pull out the center cardboard tube and pull the wipes from the center.  Leave the lid on when not using. 

Fast, cheap and good.  We did this initially to save money, but found that our son had far fewer skin problems than some of our friends' kids, and I preferred the smell of our lotion of choice to the chemically smell of commercial wipes.   

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9357 on: July 20, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »
When China wants to get something done, just stand out of their way and watch with awe. I had a professor tell about Shanghai wanting to add more greenery to the city. So instead of just planting some trees, the city leaders went to another region and bought an entire forest, chopped down the trees, and transported them to Shanghai and replanted them. BOOM!
How do you replant a tree that was chopped down? Dug up maybe?

Anyway... yeah, they're impressive as hell. The downside is, that great power for focused action can just as easily be used for disastrous ends. Pros and cons, as always.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9358 on: July 20, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »
How do you replant a tree that was chopped down? Dug up maybe?

Anyway... yeah, they're impressive as hell. The downside is, that great power for focused action can just as easily be used for disastrous ends. Pros and cons, as always.

Yeah, my professor didn't know anything about trees, I assume that he meant dug up.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #9359 on: July 20, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
I make my own wipes to use after biking to work. I made a mixture of shampoo and lotion and keep it at work. I also have another container that I fill with two cups of hot water and two tablespoons of the lotion mixture. I then press one paper towel at a time into the container until it is full. Use the good paper towels. I only need one per day and have gotten years out of the original mixture.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9360 on: July 20, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »
A superannuation company hosted a free lunch and Q&A (i.e. recruiting drive) at my office last week.

I had to bite my tongue when my boss asked: "So, ballpark figure, how much do we need to have in super for retirement?"

He's 54 with two young children.

After the presentation I sent him a link to MMM's Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9361 on: July 20, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
Forgot to add above:

One of my husband's colleagues recently moved in with his girlfriend. For the colleague's 30th, the girlfriend gave him an all-expenses-paid island holiday.

(At the time I felt a bit inferior. We don't spend that kind of money on birthdays. Does that make me a bad wife???)

Found out last night she just admitted to $30k in credit card debt.

I just ran some numbers on an online calculator and texted my husband to say if she busts her arse to pay it off in two years, she will still be paying more in CC payments than we pay in rent. At minimum payments of $490/month, it would take 22 years...

So that birthday present doesn't look so hot after all.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9362 on: July 20, 2015, 07:57:40 PM »

Yeah, I wonder how often that happens. I think this happens to quite a few people that seem to have more fun than I do.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9363 on: July 20, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »

Yeah, I wonder how often that happens. I think this happens to quite a few people that seem to have more fun than I do.

Makes it awkward for him, too. He had been raving about how much she earns, how they were going to buy a house... not with that hanging over her head.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9364 on: July 21, 2015, 01:40:46 AM »

Genuine question about all these 'homemade wipes' recipes - why can't you just use soap and water? I can understand wipes when out and about, but surely people are at home for many many changes a day.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9365 on: July 21, 2015, 01:50:52 AM »

Genuine question about all these 'homemade wipes' recipes - why can't you just use soap and water? I can understand wipes when out and about, but surely people are at home for many many changes a day.

Just use a baby bidet.  You'll never go back.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #9366 on: July 21, 2015, 04:19:35 AM »

Yeah, we have a young couple in our neighborhood that are always travelling to some Caribbean island.  They both make decent salaries, but I'm convinced they're living paycheck to paycheck.  That or they come from money.  Either way, they're having more fun than me!?

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9367 on: July 21, 2015, 05:25:15 AM »
You can use a flannel with water/baby shampoo mix (soap may be too harsh for baby skin). Wipes are good as the skin dries pretty quick (so the baby doesn't get a rash). With a flannel you would either need a drying flannel, or to wait/wave the baby around until it was dry for powder/cream as needed. Then you have a lot of dirty flannels to wash. Wipes are super convenient.

HydroJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9368 on: July 21, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »
I'm interning at a fortune 500 company for the summer.

When I first started, I'd get invited to go out to lunch every Friday. I politely declined but probably alienated myself a little bit from the other young engineers. In the cafeteria where I eat my packed lunch, there are a couple people that I see every day. I wonder if they are also mustachians. About 170 people work at my location so someone else has to know about this forum right?

Here is one from today:

Unfortunately, I missed the beginning of the conversation so I only caught the end.

Coworker 1: "Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to rely on my 401L"
Coworker 2: "What's a 401L?"
Coworker 1: "401 lottery"

Other things that make me irk:
-Going out to lunch every day
-hour long commutes
-fancy pants cars in the parking lot
-nobody bikes to work even though we have shower and are centered in a low cost of living nice middle class community

To be fair, I have a 30 minute commute but that's only because I'm temporarily staying with family for my 12 week internship. My rent costs are $0.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9369 on: July 21, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »
I'm interning at a fortune 500 company for the summer.

I dislike being "that guy," but I applaud you having a good idea about your finances at your age. I totally don't mean to be patronizing.

One thing about going out for lunches on Fridays, it may be an expense worth it. Occasionally I'll eat out even though I don't want to because the socializing and networking helps.

Let me give you an example, I was in Chicago for work a few months ago. I didn't want to go out for drinks with another exhibitor, but did so, and while over drinks I mentioned wanting to move a particular product line. That exhibitor lit up because she had a customer looking for the exact thing. Due to paying $10 for drinks (after tax and tip), I got a business source that bought about $3000 the next day, not a bad ROI. Of course, this is just one an example that worked out. If I always got this return, I would live in that bar.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9370 on: July 21, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »

You probably could, but babies are small, wiggly and slippery when wet. I would rather not hold one over a sink or tub for cleaning. I used to shower with my baby and I've had to stop as she gets more mobile because I'm concerned about dropping her.

But you clean the baby with wipes whilst they are lying down - why not use cotton wool and water or a flannel in a similar way? Surely you wouldn't have to give them a bath everytime, or wipes wouldn't work? (I'm clueless about babies though, so thanks for your responses)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9371 on: July 21, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »

Oh, I misunderstood. When you said soap and water, I assumed you meant holding the baby under a faucet, which is just asking for trouble. You can absolutely moisten flannel with soapy water and clean the baby that way. My coop rules forbid washing diapers in the communal laundry machines, so I assume that goes for wipes as well. As it is, wipes cost us about a dollar a week, and I'm really okay with spending the money.

Ah ha, I get you. Sounds like your rules wouldn't allow it, that's so annoying. I know from having friends with kids that wipes are surprisingly useful to have around though.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9372 on: July 21, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
I dislike being "that guy," but I applaud you having a good idea about your finances at your age. I totally don't mean to be patronizing.
I second that. Good job.
Let me give you an example, I was in Chicago for work a few months ago. I didn't want to go out for drinks with another exhibitor, but did so, and while over drinks I mentioned wanting to move a particular product line. That exhibitor lit up because she had a customer looking for the exact thing. Due to paying $10 for drinks (after tax and tip), I got a business source that bought about $3000 the next day, not a bad ROI. Of course, this is just one an example that worked out. If I always got this return, I would live in that bar.
I've drastically reduced spontaneously eating/drinking out for my own sake; DW and I maybe go 1-2x a month at this point. However, I still average once per week with a certain group of friends, which is easily justified by the pace of real estate leads I get from that group. Sadly, I haven't been able to execute a deal yet as a result, but even one small house a year would return several times what I spend, and I genuinely enjoy their company too.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9373 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
One thing about going out for lunches on Fridays, it may be an expense worth it. Occasionally I'll eat out even though I don't want to because the socializing and networking helps.

+1000

The whole point of an internship is to get a (better) job when you graduate.  You don't want to be labeled the "weird loner".  Every company loves the "team player" buzzword when they go to hire people, and I guarantee the young engineers you're working with will be asked at the end of the summer which interns are potential hires.  Who do you think they are going to recommend, assuming all of the interns are equally qualified?  Spend the $10 a week on the group lunch and consider it an investment in your future.  Even if this place doesn't pan out long term, these other young engineers will have friends at other places looking for entry level employees.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9374 on: July 21, 2015, 10:52:26 AM »

+1000

The whole point of an internship is to get a (better) job when you graduate.  You don't want to be labeled the "weird loner".  Every company loves the "team player" buzzword when they go to hire people, and I guarantee the young engineers you're working with will be asked at the end of the summer which interns are potential hires.  Who do you think they are going to recommend, assuming all of the interns are equally qualified?  Spend the $10 a week on the group lunch and consider it an investment in your future.  Even if this place doesn't pan out long term, these other young engineers will have friends at other places looking for entry level employees.

This.

And remember, it isn't a permanent thing. When you get a full time gig, every time for the first month or so that someone asks if you want to go to lunch, join them. Especially if they're a higher level than you. After a month, pull back on that to about once a month, or whatever you deem is the correct amount.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9375 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
A 26 year old co-worker just "bought" a new car, financed 100% with negative equity rolled into it from her trade-in.

She was proud of the way she handled the salesman when they started to "get confusing" about her trade-in amount. She described her conversation as "Look, I don't care what you do with the trade-in value or the price of the car, do whatever you have to do, but my payment needs to be less than what I'm paying now."

Oy.

I think we have similar coworkers. I didn't even know you could roll negative equity into a new loan, that was a weird conversation to have.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9376 on: July 21, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »

You probably could, but babies are small, wiggly and slippery when wet. I would rather not hold one over a sink or tub for cleaning. I used to shower with my baby and I've had to stop as she gets more mobile because I'm concerned about dropping her.

But you clean the baby with wipes whilst they are lying down - why not use cotton wool and water or a flannel in a similar way? Surely you wouldn't have to give them a bath everytime, or wipes wouldn't work? (I'm clueless about babies though, so thanks for your responses)

Oh, I misunderstood. When you said soap and water, I assumed you meant holding the baby under a faucet, which is just asking for trouble. You can absolutely moisten flannel with soapy water and clean the baby that way. My coop rules forbid washing diapers in the communal laundry machines, so I assume that goes for wipes as well. As it is, wipes cost us about a dollar a week, and I'm really okay with spending the money.
My older son's daycare did that, actually.  Has for 30-40 years.  Big industrial sink.  She just tucks the babies in her arm and runs them under the faucet.  Very "green" before green was a thing.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9377 on: July 21, 2015, 12:05:05 PM »

+1000

This.

And remember, it isn't a permanent thing. When you get a full time gig, every time for the first month or so that someone asks if you want to go to lunch, join them. Especially if they're a higher level than you. After a month, pull back on that to about once a month, or whatever you deem is the correct amount.

I'll have to agree with this as well. The importance of network (especially at temp position) is too important to miss. And once you have a few lunches under your belt you can always suggest lower cost place. As an intern you have a great excuse to say "oh you're going to X? Don't think my budget will fit that - what about Y?" Plus you never know when your CW will cover your lunch.  I've done unofficial lunches when interns just start where the junior engineers will split the bill to cover the interns (although this usually only occcurs the first time or two).

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9378 on: July 21, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »

+1000

This.

A trick that's worked for me is "Oh, I don't do Mexican, (Or whatever the most expensive place is) my stomach always reacts poorly to it let me know when you hit that Greek place (Or whatever the cheap place is), I just love it!" Using this technique, you are snubbing the restaurant, not the invitee and you are only going to the cheapest places. I have one boss who I have only ever seen join the guys for lunch at Subway - everywhere else "takes too long for his packed schedule."

"Casa Bonita? - I can't spend the whole afternoon on the can"......problem solved

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9379 on: July 21, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »

+1000

This.

A trick that's worked for me is "Oh, I don't do Mexican, (Or whatever the most expensive place is) my stomach always reacts poorly to it let me know when you hit that Greek place (Or whatever the cheap place is), I just love it!" Using this technique, you are snubbing the restaurant, not the invitee and you are only going to the cheapest places. I have one boss who I have only ever seen join the guys for lunch at Subway - everywhere else "takes too long for his packed schedule."

"Casa Bonita? - I can't spend the whole afternoon on the can"......problem solved

I'm going to disagree on this. If you don't like a place or can't tolerate it, that's one thing, but I wouldn't say that you can't stomach Mexican. One lie leads to another and it's just too hard for me to keep up with them. You don't want to say that you can't handle Mexican and then a week later your supervisor sees you at a Mexican restaurant.

Also, no one likes that person that shoots down most places. If you find that people around you are sighing and saying, "Fine, where do you want to go," because you've shot down the places they've recommended, you can lose friends that way, or at least look bad to your colleagues.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #9380 on: July 21, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »
Company provided lunch for everyone today, all of the drivers were told that yesterday so they wouldn't have to pack a lunch if they usually do. Needless to say one stupid employee that has been mentioned on this thread many times before was spotted on the gps system stopped at Togo's.

Guy spent $12 on a sandwich, chips, and a drink and then got back to the office where food was waiting... sandwiches, chips, and drinks from Togo's.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #9381 on: July 22, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »
Company provided lunch for everyone today, all of the drivers were told that yesterday so they wouldn't have to pack a lunch if they usually do. Needless to say one stupid employee that has been mentioned on this thread many times before was spotted on the gps system stopped at Togo's.

Guy spent $12 on a sandwich, chips, and a drink and then got back to the office where food was waiting... sandwiches, chips, and drinks from Togo's.

There's a guy at my work that does this every time - but on purpose.  If work brings in BBQ, he'll leave and go get the same thing but not have to 'deal with the rest of the workers'.  This guy is 65+ and still basically entry level, no one seems to like him for some reason.

edit- I spell not so well
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:12:58 AM by cripzychiken »

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #9382 on: July 22, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »

+1000

This.

I'm going to disagree on this. If you don't like a place or can't tolerate it, that's one thing, but I wouldn't say that you can't stomach Mexican. One lie leads to another and it's just too hard for me to keep up with them. You don't want to say that you can't handle Mexican and then a week later your supervisor sees you at a Mexican restaurant.

Also, no one likes that person that shoots down most places. If you find that people around you are sighing and saying, "Fine, where do you want to go," because you've shot down the places they've recommended, you can lose friends that way, or at least look bad to your colleagues.

My solution for that is to always pack a lunch or just be willing to go out to my own place. It works well for me. The reason is that I'm just a particularly picky eater, but I think the situation still applies. Whenever people are talking about where to go out to lunch, they'll ask if I want to go; if I don't want to go, I just tell them thanks for the offer but I brought lunch, but if I do want to go I'll just throw my lunch in the fridge for the next day. There are some places where my coworkers know I'll never go, so they'll mention it as a courtesy so I know what they're doing but they don't expect me to join.

I agree that if you try to force everyone to go where you want to go every time you'll come off as annoying and no one will invite you, but in my experience no one is sour over just declining the invitation and doing your own thing. Just be polite, thank them for the invitation, and ask them to keep you in the loop in the future with the clause that you just might not go with them every time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9383 on: July 22, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »

+1000

This.

My solution for that is to always pack a lunch or just be willing to go out to my own place. It works well for me. The reason is that I'm just a particularly picky eater, but I think the situation still applies. Whenever people are talking about where to go out to lunch, they'll ask if I want to go; if I don't want to go, I just tell them thanks for the offer but I brought lunch, but if I do want to go I'll just throw my lunch in the fridge for the next day. There are some places where my coworkers know I'll never go, so they'll mention it as a courtesy so I know what they're doing but they don't expect me to join.

I agree that if you try to force everyone to go where you want to go every time you'll come off as annoying and no one will invite you, but in my experience no one is sour over just declining the invitation and doing your own thing. Just be polite, thank them for the invitation, and ask them to keep you in the loop in the future with the clause that you just might not go with them every time.
I remember at my old company, my very sweet coworkers decided to take me to lunch for my birthday.

But the didn't let me pick the place.

I still remember, because they picked Chili's, which doesn't have a whole lot of healthy foods.

This was the year I turned 32, and I'd just lost over 50 pounds, mostly by NEVER EATING OUT.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #9384 on: July 22, 2015, 11:10:42 AM »
So yesterday my office had a "going away" lunch for me since next week is my last week.  One of our members from another town in the state brought a bunch of fish that he had caught and did a big fish fry for everyone.  I'm vegan.

And this is one of the reasons I'm really, really glad to be leaving.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9385 on: July 22, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »

There's a guy at my work that does this every time - but on purpose.  If work brings in BBQ, he'll leave and go get the same thing but not have to 'deal with the rest of the workers'.  This guy is 65+ and still basically entry level, no one seems to like him for some reason.

edit- I spell not so well

Gee, I wonder why people don't like him.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9386 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:39 AM »
So yesterday my office had a "going away" lunch for me since next week is my last week.  One of our members from another town in the state brought a bunch of fish that he had caught and did a big fish fry for everyone.  I'm vegan.

My first company did that for my "going away" lunch. We were supposed to all go out (on expense) to celebrate, but we were really busy, so my final lunch ended up being a working lunch, and the boss ordered in.  Ham sandwiches.

I don't eat pork.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #9387 on: July 22, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
"Waah, waah, waah...I don't eat out, especially not at Chili's."

"Waah, waah, waah...I'm a vegan."

"Waah, waah, waah...I don't eat pork."

There are literally millions of people starving all over the world...just f* eat it!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9388 on: July 22, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »

My first company did that for my "going away" lunch. We were supposed to all go out (on expense) to celebrate, but we were really busy, so my final lunch ended up being a working lunch, and the boss ordered in.  Ham sandwiches.

I don't eat pork.

In both of your cases, did they do that deliberately or was it an innocent mistake?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9389 on: July 22, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »

There are literally millions of people starving all over the world...just f* eat it!

I would advise that you grow up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9390 on: July 22, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »

+1000

This.

I remember at my old company, my very sweet coworkers decided to take me to lunch for my birthday.

But the didn't let me pick the place.

I still remember, because they picked Chili's, which doesn't have a whole lot of healthy foods.

This was the year I turned 32, and I'd just lost over 50 pounds, mostly by NEVER EATING OUT.

Stolen from elsewhere, but... on your 32nd bday...

Pylon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9391 on: July 22, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »

In response to the complaint about vegans, yes there are millions of starving people in the world and if more people ate fewer animal products, fewer crops would go to feeding animals for the meat and dairy industries, so there would be enough food for everyone in the world. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9392 on: July 22, 2015, 11:47:42 AM »

Why would I eat it?  Eating it makes me sick. I'm not subjecting myself to that. Not eating it didn't make me starve. It just meant I went a few extra hours without a meal. 

The point was, this was a party IN MY HONOR, with the provided food being something I don't eat.  That's rude.

I didn't whine at the time, I'm not a baby, I just didn't eat. But it sure was a hella thoughtless for a "party".  She made a banner for me though :)

In both of your cases, did they do that deliberately or was it an innocent mistake?
I think it was a forgetful mistake. She knew I didn't eat pork, as it had always been worked around at other meetings- in fact, this is the first time I can remember there not being choice offered (as lots of people have food restrictions due to religion, allergies, or personal preference). My guess is that it was just very short notice to order food, so she did what was easy.  I don't think it was meant as a slight (though I'm sure you can guess how excited/motivated I was to participate in a "working lunch" on my last day :)  I don't get paid overtime, so it was just extra hours and no meal out at my favorite Mexican restaurant. )
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:51:06 AM by iowajes »

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #9393 on: July 22, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »

In response to the complaint about vegans, yes there are millions of starving people in the world and if more people ate fewer animal products, fewer crops would go to feeding animals for the meat and dairy industries, so there would be enough food for everyone in the world.

All I'm trying to say is, why can't you guys look at the bright side of things? Some people at work are offering you a free meal, and although it may not be what you like/prefer, at least appreciate that they tried and the fact that you're getting to eat, instead of complaining about how they got it wrong.

I have literally seen people fight each other over food scraps...just be grateful for what you have.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9394 on: July 22, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »

What about allergies to foods, or gluten intolerances, do those count too?

I can't speak for vegans, because I'm not one.

I can speak, however, for having struggled with my weight almost my entire life, spending a very long 6 months counting every calorie (well, points in WW), to lose over 50 pounds.

This involved treating my meal plans like a part time job, never drinking alcohol, never eating out.  It was a HUGE struggle HUGE.

And I can understand that people who have never struggled may not understand it (most of my coworkers were skinny).

Do you take an alcoholic out for a drink on their birthday?

"It's your birthday, treat yourself."  Except:
It's my birthday
Then it's my kids' birthdays
then it's my anniversary
then it's a work lunch
then it's mom's night out
then it's a well-deserved date night
then it's a party at a friend's house
then it's vacation
then it's a friend's birthday
then it's a going away party
then it's lunch out with a friend who is in town
then it's a hot day, and friends are visiting, and there is ice cream

There are quite literally "special occasions" twice a week sometimes.  At least 5-6 a month.

If I ate to be polite "just effing eat it", I'd easily weigh 30+ pounds more.  It's a slippery slope.
So suck it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9395 on: July 22, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »

All I'm trying to say is, why can't you guys look at the bright side of things? Some people at work are offering you a free meal, and although it may not be what you like/prefer, at least appreciate that they tried and the fact that you're getting to eat, instead of complaining about how they got it wrong.

I have literally seen people fight each other over food scraps...just be grateful for what you have.

I'm not seeing the bright side of a paid office outing being canceled in favor of a work through lunch meeting with food I don't eat, disguised as a party for me.

If someone just brought in ham sandwiches on a random occasion and said "free food in the breakroom!" - well, it wouldn't do anything positive for me; but I certainly wouldn't see it as a slight against me in the same way either.

I am incredibly grateful I have the ability to feed myself and my family on a daily basis. That is completely separate issue. I don't need to be grateful for my former boss for basically doing something to make life easier for herself.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:08:30 PM by iowajes »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9396 on: July 22, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »

Allergies definitely count. Intolerances to gluten specifically do not count, because they don't exist, and they're dangerous to real celiacs.

HydroJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9397 on: July 22, 2015, 12:23:32 PM »
Supervisor and another coworker were talking about taxes, finances, etc. Both are pretty old looking to me. I know my supervisor is within a couple years of retiring. He has been with the company since at least 1980. I don't know for sure. A lot of older people here strike me as frugal but they're definitely not mustachian. Cable and other things are necessities for them and they are cool with working until retirement age. Either way, people around here at least contribute to their 401ks.

Supervisor: With the 401k that company offers, everyone here should be millionaires by the time they retire.
Coworker 2: Not everyone has the same amount of money to contribute to their 401k. Everyone has different expenses.

I've been tempted to chime in on these financial talks lately but nobody really includes the intern in these things and I don't want to reveal my ways.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #9398 on: July 22, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »

Are you asking me if I believe that we should eat anything and everything, even if it could potentially kill us?

(By the way, you don't have to answer it, it's a rhetorical question).

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #9399 on: July 22, 2015, 12:48:43 PM »
Not really overheard at work but, I hate being the youngest at the company where I work. Anytime I try to convince others to not be so facepunch worthy, I get laughed at and people assume that, because I'm unmarried and have no children, I cannot understand how expensive life TRULY is.
Example:
CW: My (6 year old) daugter wants a pool. City law requires a 4 foot fence around my yard before we can build a pool. Building a fence is going to be super pricey.
Me: I would just get a small pool that fits in under the requirements of the law.
CW: I already found the pool I want. I am just looking up fencing prices.
Me: I would just pass on the pool for now, there's no way its worth it.
CW But she wants one. (As he huffs off with a disgusted look on his face, baffled at my lack of understanding how finances work when you have a child)

This coworker both vapes and smokes regular cigarettes, and drives a NEW Dodge SUV/Minvan combo (they only have one daughter).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!