Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253217 times)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4650 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »
I'm glad this thread drew you out, MMB.  Welcome!  :)

Lol - you post a lot in this thread now. I guess once it's on your updated topics no choice but to keep posting. :-P

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4651 on: October 13, 2014, 09:39:21 AM »

Lol - you post a lot in this thread now. I guess once it's on your updated topics no choice but to keep posting. :-P

That's why I avoided it for so long.

My post count would probably be double and this thread would have twice as many pages if I had replied to this back on page one!  ;)

That's why I still haven't posted in the "Welcome, Introduce Yourself" thread.  Then I'll be trapped saying hi to every person that introduces themselves.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4652 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

My post count would probably be double and this thread would have twice as many pages if I had replied to this back on page one!  ;)

That's why I still haven't posted in the "Welcome, Introduce Yourself" thread.  Then I'll be trapped saying hi to every person that introduces themselves.

lol man, I totally regret posting in that thread now.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4653 on: October 13, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »

It's simple: we merely remove the human element from the equation

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4654 on: October 13, 2014, 10:40:51 AM »

Is there any way to mute a thread? Or at least stop it from showing up in your new replies list? There must be an extension or add-in for simple machines that does this. Does anyone know?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4655 on: October 13, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »
Not that I know of.  You could probably work up a greasemonkey, or equivalent, script if you're competent at that sort of things.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4658 on: October 13, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
The other day my credit card was declined for a ~$2 purchase of envelopes. The cause was purely bank incompetency, not a lack of funds. I'm a customer of a large number of banks in US and Canada and I can tell you that banks made errors like this all the time. Additionally, since my money is split across around 30 accounts, it wouldn't be too surprising if one day I use the wrong instrument to pay for something, giving the illusion that I no money (although I haven't actually made this mistake yet).

I just had to comment on this because it's definitely a mistaken impression to think that a declined card has anything to do with a lack of funds -- almost always, this is caused by bank error.

There was a "What Would You Do" episode about this. Presumably, a guy and a girl are on a first date, or newly dating, and they're waiting on line to pay for something. His card gets declined for a relatively small purchase and he starts worrying. They, of course, are actors, but they wanted to see what people around them would do. Someone told the girl to get out before she's in too deep, because she shouldn't have to deal with her man having a declined credit card. It went on to explain how cards are usually declined because of some sort of computer error, either from the bank or from the store itself.

My AMEX was declined once while I was grocery shopping. I was doing my bulk shopping and had a pretty hefty transaction (~$100). I scanned it three or four times and it said 'card declined' each time. I had just paid it off in full and was no where near my limit, but I still had that feeling of 'oh shit!' I was more concerned that someone had stolen my cc and had run up a ton of purchases. The guy behind me laughed and asked me if I had too good of a weekend (it was a Monday). The cashier took my card and swiped it on her side and it went through just fine.

Moral of the story is: seeing a card being declined means nothing. But, with the stories on this page, typically it means people don't know how to budget.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4659 on: October 13, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
With all the recent data breaches, a card declined probably just means yours was one of them.  Happened to us TWICE recently.  Card gets declined, embarrassingly, at the register.  You find another way to pay, call the company, tell them that no, you didn't make that bogus overseas charge, and they send you a new one.  Whee.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4660 on: October 13, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Is there any way to mute a thread? Or at least stop it from showing up in your new replies list? There must be an extension or add-in for simple machines that does this. Does anyone know?
Go to the top or bottom of the thread and you will see boxes.  One of them is marked either "Notify" or "Unnotify".  To get the threads sent to you click on the "Notify" box.  To stop the notifications, click on the "Unnotify" box.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:01:12 PM by Joggernot »

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4661 on: October 13, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
Go to the top or bottom of the thread and you will see boxes.  One of them is marked either "Notify" or "Unnotify".  To get the threads sent to you click on the "Notify" box.  To stop the notifications, click on the "Unnotify" box.

Mine says Notify but I still receive notifications.  Does this work for threads that you have responded to?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4662 on: October 13, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »

I don't get any notifications at all (on purpose), but there is no way to remove a thread from your "replies to your posts" list, AFAIK, besides deleting your post.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #4663 on: October 13, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »
This last year I had my companies primium health insurance because it made financial sense (we only paid a total of $400 for the birth, pregnancy, etc.). Because I am on a rotational program for work, I had the opprotunity to change insurance carriers. I decided to go with the high deductible plan. It has $5,000 deductible and the company puts $2,000 into a HSA. I have a small copay for vision and dental, and a good price for about $2800 a year (I think this is a fantastic deal!).

Me: I would like to change over to the high deductible plan with the HSA
HR: Do know about the $5,000 deductible?
Me: Yes, it is a high deductible plan.
HR: This means you will have to pay for everything out of pocket.
Me: Only for any costs are between $3,000 and $5,000
HR: Well, yes... But what if you have a bad year? I never recommend this program to people. Who has $3,000 to pay for medical bills?
Me: The other plan was guarunteed to cost me an extra $2,000 per year. I think this plan is not very risky. Especially since the money will roll over every year. It is like freee money!
HR:But it is so risky! You could go bankrupt!
(She knows that I'm a new hire and probably have student loans, but in reality I already have saved nearly enough for a $20% down payment)
Me: I'll go with that high deductible plan.
HR: Don't say I didn't warn you!

We just had our Open Elections period for our benefits open up- and I was kind of surprised to see that the company was ONLY offering HDHSA plans and no 'conventional' health insurance plans. Didn't bother me in the least bit- I can easily do the math to see that on the whole it's smarter to have it this way. Heck, it's actually smarter IMO to go with the highest deductible plan which costs almost nothing out of pocket- if you put the difference in it from the lower-deductible plan into the HSA it doesn't quite make up the difference, but if you aren't expecting a ton of medical expenses you'll probably come out ahead each year.

Unfortunately I'm one of the only ones in my office who is employed by this company- the rest are working for a company we contract to do work, so I don't get to hear all the griping that is likely happening back at the Home Plant about this...

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4664 on: October 13, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
I wouldn't say that complaining about an HDHSA necessarily qualifies you for the Wall. If you had somewhat high medical expenses, like two kids with asthma, you might be better off with a more inclusive plan.

I've never had an HSA but I did, in one memorably year, find out I was pregnant during open enrollment (surprise!) and we upped to the all-inclusive plan for the duration, then back down to a cheaper, higher copay plan once we'd had the baby and he came out healthy.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #4665 on: October 13, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »
I wouldn't say that complaining about an HDHSA necessarily qualifies you for the Wall. If you had somewhat high medical expenses, like two kids with asthma, you might be better off with a more inclusive plan.

I've never had an HSA but I did, in one memorably year, find out I was pregnant during open enrollment (surprise!) and we upped to the all-inclusive plan for the duration, then back down to a cheaper, higher copay plan once we'd had the baby and he came out healthy.

We were actually planning on doing the hard numbers on the traditional plan vs. the HDHSA since we're hoping to be having a baby next year, but the company took the option away on that. And honestly, I think that even with high medical expenses that you know are coming that you end up pretty good with the HDP. For the highest ($3k) deductible plan it's completely FREE for just me, and only about $750 more adding my wife to the plan. The all-inclusive plans were several thousand dollars a year minimum- when it became available I just moved all of what I had been paying (and a bit more) to going into the HSA.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #4666 on: October 13, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »

Awn, rebs, you're such a nice guy!

I have absolutely no problem not responding to the people in the introduction thread. I think I never even went back to see if anyone had replied to me... I just keep it on the lowest position on my unread topics :)

Yup, you're way sweet!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4667 on: October 13, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »

I have absolutely no problem not responding to the people in the introduction thread.

I have to actively refrain from telling people in the introduction thread to go to hell.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4668 on: October 13, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »

Mine says Notify but I still receive notifications.  Does this work for threads that you have responded to?
When you post a response or thread, click the "Attachments and other options" line.  There you will find some check boxes; one of which is "Notify me of replies".  This box is checked by default, so uncheck it if you don't want to receive notices of replies.

If the Notify box says "Notify" you shouldn't be receiving notifications.  I would try clicking the box, wait a day, then click the "Unnotify" box to see if that would work.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4669 on: October 13, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »

I have absolutely no problem not responding to the people in the introduction thread.

I have to actively refrain from telling people in the introduction thread to go to hell.

Well, that makes me extremely glad I never posted in that thread. I wouldn't want the urge to tell people to go to hell on a daily basis.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4670 on: October 13, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »

I do tell them to go to hell. Fortunately nobody reads it, they just post.

otherbarry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4671 on: October 13, 2014, 08:20:08 PM »
I'm back at school, so this isn't at work, but my Engineering Economy professor constantly makes snide comments about how long we'll work, despite admitting she owns no investments. She would write a problem like this:

"Sally wants to retire with 1 million 40 years from now. How much should she save each year with an interest rate of 10% to achieve this."

But then she'll say something like, "But to be honest you guys will be working long after 70 so this isn't very realistic for your generation." Yet she owns no investments and says how debt isn't a bad thing. I agree with that but only if the debt allows you to make more returns via investments (which she doesn't own) than the loan payments are. No wonder people stay employed long after they should be.

I came up with $2,054.02 to that problem, which seems easy to achieve. The 10% interest is probably unrealistic though. Why is she even teaching economics if she doesn't appear to believe what she teaches?

Yeah the problem I made up. It's more general comments she makes all the time, mostly about working long after 65. Then she'll make us choose which financing method is best for a new car.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4672 on: October 13, 2014, 08:35:52 PM »
I'm back at school, so this isn't at work, but my Engineering Economy professor constantly makes snide comments about how long we'll work, despite admitting she owns no investments. She would write a problem like this:

"Sally wants to retire with 1 million 40 years from now. How much should she save each year with an interest rate of 10% to achieve this."

But then she'll say something like, "But to be honest you guys will be working long after 70 so this isn't very realistic for your generation." Yet she owns no investments and says how debt isn't a bad thing. I agree with that but only if the debt allows you to make more returns via investments (which she doesn't own) than the loan payments are. No wonder people stay employed long after they should be.

I came up with $2,054.02 to that problem, which seems easy to achieve. The 10% interest is probably unrealistic though. Why is she even teaching economics if she doesn't appear to believe what she teaches?

Yeah the problem I made up. It's more general comments she makes all the time, mostly about working long after 65. Then she'll make us choose which financing method is best for a new car.

Perhaps she's a sensai mustachian? Trying to teach you the follies of commercial while you are still wrong and impressionable, reverse psychology at its finest!

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #4673 on: October 13, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

We were actually planning on doing the hard numbers on the traditional plan vs. the HDHSA since we're hoping to be having a baby next year, but the company took the option away on that. And honestly, I think that even with high medical expenses that you know are coming that you end up pretty good with the HDP. For the highest ($3k) deductible plan it's completely FREE for just me, and only about $750 more adding my wife to the plan. The all-inclusive plans were several thousand dollars a year minimum- when it became available I just moved all of what I had been paying (and a bit more) to going into the HSA.

We have both traditional and HDHSA plans, but in our case, the HDHSA plan is an extra $60 per pay period.  The Plan does put $60 per pay check into the account, making it a wash.  I go with the traditional plan because the benefits are better.  It worked out well when the twins spent 2-1/2 months in the NICU.  About a half million dollars in charges, and I just had to pay some copays, which were less than the HDhSA copays anyways.  Not to mention the $3k deductible per person on the HDHSA plan.  will take about 4 years just to pull even with the HDHSA plan, and that is only if we don't need any other special healthcare during that time.   Just stating this example that the HDHSA plan is not always the best choice.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4674 on: October 14, 2014, 12:09:09 AM »

Well, that makes me extremely glad I never posted in that thread. I wouldn't want the urge to tell people to go to hell on a daily basis.

It's more because I'm a grump than because of the people in the thread.  YMMV

edit: you know the saying: if you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole.  if you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole :-P

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4675 on: October 14, 2014, 06:42:57 AM »
I'm a huge fan of MMM, but I haven't posted on the forums before. I've barely spent any money during my life and my net worth is about 100 times the median for my age. I expect to retire by 30. I enjoy reading this thread, but there were a couple things here I have to comment on:

...she is convinced they are worthless and won't listen to any other viewpoints.  I don't like second CW as much as first CW, so I just don't bother with her, even though it bothers *me* to think that someone would just give up $15,000 because it's easier than spending three minutes clicking "cash out" on a website.

I can't imagine working with any one person, let alone multiple people, so stupid about leaving $10,000 on the table.

While I am skeptical myself about "free money" because it usually is not free, it's very strange that your co-workers don't get it about the great windfall awaiting them. Usually word-of-mouth experiences like yours carry much weight. Perhaps they are hearing the experiences of other like you who cashed in their points for crap and they saw taxes come out of their check.

I have to say that is a robust rewards point system that your place of work offer! wow!

I think he works at that factory that makes screen doors for submarines.

AMIRITE?

That made me laugh really, really hard.  Thank you.  I'm a "she," not  "he," fyi. 

Yes, these two coworkers are just extremely well-dressed and spend a lot of money.  I told CW2 that I try to be frugal, and she said that was silly, and that every time her husband tells her they should save money, she just tells him they can always make more.  It's a philosophy.  I was with her once at breakfast, and her card was declined for a $6 charge (this is a woman who makes more than $200,000 per year).  Neither one of them is very good at navigating benefits or getting the most out of what the company offers us.  CW1 actually forgot to sign up for health insurance one year -- she put it off and put it off, and then decided to sign up at night, from home, on the last day of registration, only to find that registration ended at 7pm and she was too late.  Aye yay yay.

This just blows my mind. Someone making 200k per year and the fact that they have trouble paying $6. She should be smacked. Did you end up paying for her?

The other day my credit card was declined for a ~$2 purchase of envelopes. The cause was purely bank incompetency, not a lack of funds. I'm a customer of a large number of banks in US and Canada and I can tell you that banks made errors like this all the time. Additionally, since my money is split across around 30 accounts, it wouldn't be too surprising if one day I use the wrong instrument to pay for something, giving the illusion that I no money (although I haven't actually made this mistake yet).

I just had to comment on this because it's definitely a mistaken impression to think that a declined card has anything to do with a lack of funds -- almost always, this is caused by bank error.

I don't believe what I bolded in your post. I'm going to counter your n=1 situation with my own! I have never had a transaction declined. Guess it's a draw. I'm sure it happens sometimes but CC companies seem to be very good at knowing how much money they are loaning to you since it's their own damn money.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4676 on: October 14, 2014, 06:51:20 AM »
Near daily I hear about the loans these students are taking out for school. I know it is expensive but $100k in student loans - yikes! I'm pretty frightened about the massive debt students are having to take on just for a BS.

I got you beat, not that it's a competition.

A "friend" of mine drives a decent Lexus and delivers pizza for a living. The guy is like 33-34 now I think? Anyways, he's always gone from random odd job to random off job. Recently he applied for school to pursue computer programming and also told me that since his income was so low school is free.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, he decided since school was free and he didn't need the loan he applied for he might as well take the money and use it to "pay off debt", buy aftermarket car parts, and who knows what else. Makes me very angry, honestly.

Get ready for the complaints on FB after he graduates about how unfair it is that he has to pay back the loan with interest. Who has that kind of money just lying around?

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #4677 on: October 14, 2014, 08:31:21 AM »
Rode down the elevator with another employee yesterday and we were discussing the stock market's performance.  I shrugged and said it'll come back up.  He replied that he was getting out of the market entirely since he was now at a 0% return for the year.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4678 on: October 14, 2014, 08:47:04 AM »
Rode down the elevator with another employee yesterday and we were discussing the stock market's performance.  I shrugged and said it'll come back up.  He replied that he was getting out of the market entirely since he was now at a 0% return for the year.

I'm kindof hoping it drops a bit more/holds low for the week or so it takes until my 401k contribution comes in. I like sales, but sadly no rain checks on the market :(.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #4679 on: October 14, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if his 0% was optimistic.  Probably perpetual buy high-sell low strategy.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4680 on: October 14, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if his 0% was optimistic.  Probably perpetual buy high-sell low strategy.

The question is if he's going to pay transaction fees each time. That means that 0% return is a loss.....

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4681 on: October 14, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »

The question is if he's going to pay transaction fees each time. That means that 0% return is a loss.....

Subtract inflation (~2%) from that as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4682 on: October 14, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »

Good for me, because I'm ramping my TSP contributions way, way up for the rest of the year and will be able to buy quite a few more shares.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #4683 on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:18 PM »

Good for me, because I'm ramping my TSP contributions way, way up for the rest of the year and will be able to buy quite a few more shares.

Yep me too, I was at 5% only for awhile due to medical stuff, but ramping up to $17,500 now that we are in the clear.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4684 on: October 14, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »
My last 401k purchase was about 3 hours too early, but my small taxable contribution was at the perfect time (delayed two days, and ended up at the perfect time.) Doesn't really matter in the long run but it's nice to say 'Bullseye!'

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4685 on: October 14, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
Near daily I hear about the loans these students are taking out for school. I know it is expensive but $100k in student loans - yikes! I'm pretty frightened about the massive debt students are having to take on just for a BS.

I got you beat, not that it's a competition.

A "friend" of mine drives a decent Lexus and delivers pizza for a living. The guy is like 33-34 now I think? Anyways, he's always gone from random odd job to random off job. Recently he applied for school to pursue computer programming and also told me that since his income was so low school is free.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, he decided since school was free and he didn't need the loan he applied for he might as well take the money and use it to "pay off debt", buy aftermarket car parts, and who knows what else. Makes me very angry, honestly.

Get ready for the complaints on FB after he graduates about how unfair it is that he has to pay back the loan with interest. Who has that kind of money just lying around?

hahahah provably

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4686 on: October 14, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »
This is more of a comment of the work work work culture.
My company kind of sucks.  We haven't been doing well, are trying to get funding or get bought.  We have had rounds of layoffs, then we hire new people in at market rate, but our existing (and more useful) employees get paid peanuts.
So our morale is in the toilet.

Saw a coworker on my lunch walk - haven't seen him in awhile.  He wanted to know what I know.  I don't know anything - he works in the building with the big wigs. Well, HE thinks things are terrible, lots of closed door meetings, nobody is going to buy us, etc. etc.  Well I said "I've been job hunting, haven't found the right fit yet.  Of course, I could always stay home with the kids for a few years."

His response (same as everyone's response) "NO! Don't do it!  You will never work again!  It's impossible to find a job if you've been out of work awhile!"
Okay, well, maybe.
But so?
Work work work work.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4687 on: October 14, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Ok, I'll add one on the other end of the spectrum to switch things up a bit.  I work with a young developer (early-mid 20s) that is frugal bordering on cheap.  He'll do things like buy a tool that he only needs once to work on his truck, use it, then return it and say it wasn't the right tool.  From what I've gathered he learned tricks like that from his dad.  The other day he took his sister out for her birthday and the tab came to over $100 and he said he started sweating.  Even though he has the money it was just painful to pay that much, even for a special occasion.  Being in SF I commend him for being thrifty, since he gets crap for it at work sometimes, but he's a reminder to me sometimes to not swing too far in the other direction.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4688 on: October 14, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »
Ok, I'll add one on the other end of the spectrum to switch things up a bit.  I work with a young developer (early-mid 20s) that is frugal bordering on cheap.  He'll do things like buy a tool that he only needs once to work on his truck, use it, then return it and say it wasn't the right tool.  From what I've gathered he learned tricks like that from his dad.  The other day he took his sister out for her birthday and the tab came to over $100 and he said he started sweating.  Even though he has the money it was just painful to pay that much, even for a special occasion.  Being in SF I commend him for being thrifty, since he gets crap for it at work sometimes, but he's a reminder to me sometimes to not swing too far in the other direction.

yep, frugal = good; cheap = bad.  Bet he has over 20k in a cash checking account with minimal investments too :-(

voidmain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4689 on: October 14, 2014, 06:51:30 PM »

I'm in SF and I get shit for being frugal from my coworkers from time to time. Like they'll want to take an Uber/Lyft to go somewhere, I say I'll take the bus to meet them there. $5 sure isn't gonna break the bank, but that 10-15 minutes saved isn't worth it to me vs $0 for transit (marginal cost because I already have my pass for commuting). I'm not as bad as that guy at least :)

Also, who the hell even has a truck in SF. That doesn't seem to frugal to me, I have no interest in ever having a vehicle

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #4690 on: October 14, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »

I don't believe what I bolded in your post. I'm going to counter your n=1 situation with my own! I have never had a transaction declined. Guess it's a draw. I'm sure it happens sometimes but CC companies seem to be very good at knowing how much money they are loaning to you since it's their own damn money.
I have to agree with Cathy.  While debit cards will get declined if you over draw, a CC is almost always declined due to some other problem (unless you are really far over the limit).  If you pay regularly, most cards will let you go slightly over the stated limit, and I've had limits raised by the company just because I was getting close every month (I always paid in full).  However I have a transaction or two declined/fail every year for problems that never have to do with funds.  It's annoying, but usually you just pay another way and call the bank to fix the issue when you get home.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4691 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:26 PM »
One of my managers yesterday said "you're just not very materialistic, are you, Happier?" and meant it as a compliment :-)

She then went on to tell me that one of our colleagues lives paycheck to paycheck and has no safety net / savings... to the extent of strategically putting in her HR forms for sick leave in separate pay periods even if the days were consecutive, as she'd run out of official sick leave and couldn't afford more than one day of unpaid leave per pay period!!

The way this story was told made me think that the manager is probably fairly sensible with money given her absolute horror of living paycheck to paycheck like our colleague does.

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4692 on: October 14, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
Had an offsite work meeting last week, which most folks had to travel to.  It took two hotel vans and a personal car to shuttle folks to the office...  across the street.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4693 on: October 14, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »
^Awesome.

When I have had a CC declined (which happened twice this year), it had nothing to do with funds.  It had to do with them deciding that the purchase couldn't possibly be me.  Like when I was on a business trip to another state and decided to buy a bottle of fancy tequila from an admittedly shady liquor store that the cabby recommended on our way to the airport.  Annoying, but better than identity theft, so I play along and just pull out another form of payment.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4694 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:41 PM »
When I have had a CC declined (which happened twice this year), it had nothing to do with funds.  It had to do with them deciding that the purchase couldn't possibly be me. 

This is almost always when it happens to me. The time when they asked me if I'd used my credit card to pay for a bunch of chocolates and a prostitute in Poland, I was simply speechless. Several witty remarks entered my head at once but the person sounded very sober and I didn't want him to think that I took Polish prostitution lightly. Or, alternatively, that I was the type of person who flew to Poland for a quickie with a prostitute (and chocolates). It did seem to demand something more than, "Nope, not mine."

I eventually tracked down why my credit card numbers kept getting stolen and used to fund illicit activities and I put an end to it. But the card companies still put a hold on my cards if the purchase seems fishy. I'm ok with it.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4695 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:27 AM »

Oh and by the way, I just discovered this site a couple of weeks ago, and I just now completed all 93 pages of reading in this thread.  It was way more entertaining than anything else I was doing. :)  You guys are awesome.

I'm pretty sure there's a medal available for that. Welcome to MMM.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4696 on: October 15, 2014, 01:53:39 AM »

A colleague replied that I should get a new Tablet pc. I replied that maybe, one day, I would want to, but would not get more value out of a new one now.

She replied "we should send you to a boot camp, to change your mind, and that you start buying more things. You should spend more money!"

Ha ha ha. They think *you're* wrong? Ooops never mind.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #4697 on: October 15, 2014, 05:35:46 AM »
The time when they asked me if I'd used my credit card to pay for a bunch of chocolates and a prostitute in Poland, I was simply speechless.

Same thing happened to me!   Now I know to just hit the ATM at the hotel and bring lots of cash.   

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #4698 on: October 15, 2014, 05:52:01 AM »
My boss was fired today.  We got paid on Monday, and we get paid 2 weeks ahead.  So my worked asked for the 2 weeks prepayment back.

My now ex-boss is refusing to give them the money back.  Considering he ate out for breakfast and lunch every day, he probably needs it.  Good for him, I guess?

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #4699 on: October 15, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »
The time when they asked me if I'd used my credit card to pay for a bunch of chocolates and a prostitute in Poland, I was simply speechless.

Same thing happened to me!   Now I know to just hit the ATM at the hotel and bring lots of cash.

Lol, ATM at the hotel.  Who was the lucky lady (or guy)?