Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252909 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #10950 on: October 23, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
*Insert evil idea to unplug kettle and see how long it takes them to figure it out tomorrow*

Do it.

Have you done it? That story is one of my all-time Overheard at Work favourites - I need a part two!

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10951 on: October 23, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »

Unfortunately I have to fit toiletries and contact lens fluid in the bag too. By the time I've crammed them in, there's not enough room for a sufficient amount of libation to make the ruse worthwhile.

Good news: contact lens fluid is exempt from the 1 quart bag rule. it's considered medical. Just like aerosol inhalers for asthma and the like. I brought a big bottle of solution (the hydrogen peroxide kind, no less) on the plane in a separate bag and nobody batted an eyelash.

That would have been good to know pre-LASIK! I use a bar shampoo when I travel so I generally don't have any liquids except for a travel thing of toothpaste, so there's plenty of room for booze in my bag!  :D

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10952 on: October 23, 2015, 07:41:27 PM »
*Insert evil idea to unplug kettle and see how long it takes them to figure it out tomorrow*
Given the wimpy 110v electric here it takes so long to boil the kettle that I don't think unplugging it makes any real difference.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10953 on: October 25, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Facepunch me.

I spent $50 on california legacy plates.

They look fantastic.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #10954 on: October 25, 2015, 07:07:51 PM »
Facepunch me.

I spent $50 on california legacy plates.

They look fantastic.

I refuse to facepunch you. I looked them up and that sounds pretty cool! Be thankful you don't live in Texas, where the standard plates are specifically designed to be hideously ugly (far worse than CA's standard plates). But, in Texas, you can buy an optional plate that looks a lot better, designed by a for-profit company. Pretty much the only vehicles in Texas that don't have the extra cost (and much more attractive) plates are rental cars. (No, I don't live in TX, but visited there and noticed the huge discrepancy between the "have" and "have not" license plates, and investigated it a little further.)

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10955 on: October 25, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »
Finally have a good one to share-

A friend and coworker currently lives in a nice apartment in the downtown area that is extremely walkable/bikeable and well-serviced by public transportation, and hasn't owned a car because he lives only a few blocks away from where we work. He recently gave his notice to work for another company, where he'll be working remotely from his apartment. Nothing wrong with that decision- they offered him ~$15k more than what he's making now and it's a good company, and he's reporting to a former coworker that we both respect.

However, within a month of starting his new job he went out and bought a $40k dodge charger, which he has no need for since he works from home and really has no need for one in the area we live in! Even worse, since he didn't have a car when he moved into his apartment complex he's no longer able to purchase a full-time parking permit for the garage, so the only option was a permit that's only valid for 6pm-8am that's to be used for customer parking to the retail stores on the ground floor. This means that every day he has to wake up and go out to move his car to the street parking, and then he brings it back into the garage each night. Furthermore, there's limited long-term street parking nearby, so if it's full he has to park in the 2-hour parking zone and move it every couple hours. He's had the car for like 2 weeks and has already gotten several tickets.

He's young and is otherwise a pretty bright guy but this decision just floored me, and I made sure to tell him how stupid and impractical I think he's being!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10956 on: October 26, 2015, 02:43:11 AM »

Good news: contact lens fluid is exempt from the 1 quart bag rule. it's considered medical. Just like aerosol inhalers for asthma and the like. I brought a big bottle of solution (the hydrogen peroxide kind, no less) on the plane in a separate bag and nobody batted an eyelash.

Worth a try, sure, but I think at some airports that would get confiscated. My friend recently flew with liquid medicine for her son with her, and because she couldn't produce a prescription at the security checkpoint, it was taken. She was like, "But it's prescription only medication, how will I get any more?!" and they were like, not our problem. The prescription label would have sufficed, apparently, but it was on the box not the bottle, and she'd thrown the box away.

So since no-one has a prescription for contact solution I don't think that would fly (geddit?) in all locations (this was in the UK FWIW). But sometime's it's worth chancing it because we all know they miss stuff regularly, and if you're stuck with hotel lobby prices, ugh.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10957 on: October 26, 2015, 07:45:34 AM »
Worth a try, sure, but I think at some airports that would get confiscated. My friend recently flew with liquid medicine for her son with her, and because she couldn't produce a prescription at the security checkpoint, it was taken. She was like, "But it's prescription only medication, how will I get any more?!" and they were like, not our problem. The prescription label would have sufficed, apparently, but it was on the box not the bottle, and she'd thrown the box away.

She should have written CONTACT SOLUTION on the bottle.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10958 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »
I still want more foam on pickles!  or where to buy jeans, or school books, or TSA and contact solution...or I'm sure something next about a Dodge Charger.

So, let's say that we read a "Overheard at Work" thread about something actually overheard at work.  Our response might be a similar experience or related experience, as opposed to going off on a tangent for page after page after page.  Does this help those that don't understand what "foam" means?

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10959 on: October 26, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Seen on a CW's desk for lunch: Cinnabon. 

Gross.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10960 on: October 26, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »
Seen on a CW's desk for lunch: Almond Toffee, with Dark Chocolate.
Yeah, the almond and dark choc makes it healthy and nutritious.

Asdfg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10961 on: October 26, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
Today I learned that my colleague has a company car that she pays about $1100/month. That includes everything, so free gas, free insurance, free winter tires etc. But still, I don't get it. After three years she will have paid almost 40k and doesn't even have the car that she could sell...

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10962 on: October 26, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
Today I learned that my colleague has a company car that she pays about $1100/month. That includes everything, so free gas, free insurance, free winter tires etc. But still, I don't get it. After three years she will have paid almost 40k and doesn't even have the car that she could sell...

Well...it'd be cool if she lived in it....

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #10963 on: October 26, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »
Heard a doozy the other day (paraphrased):

General conversation amongst several CW's:  Talking about stints of tons of OT.
CW:  "Yeah, I had to pull a nine day stint of 12 hour days once.  The OT was great.  It was perfect - right before I was going to Vegas [for some short, but unstated amount of time].  I guess I left it all on the craps tables."

Me:  [shakes head, says nothing].

Amazing.  So, this guy gets time and a half for the 44 hours of OT in one week (on top of the 40 hours regular pay), and another 8 hours of OT on top of the 16 hours of regular time to start the next week....and blows at least 52 hours of OT gambling in Vegas.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10964 on: October 27, 2015, 12:07:55 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10965 on: October 27, 2015, 04:00:56 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

So is a bowl of sugar and a fist of butter.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #10966 on: October 27, 2015, 04:29:49 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

Well, YES.  That's WHY it is so delicious!!

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #10967 on: October 27, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

Ok first of all, holy crap so much % of daily value in so many categories!  For one roll!  Second, I'm curious where you pulled that label from.  Care to share? :)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #10968 on: October 27, 2015, 06:21:07 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

Ok first of all, holy crap so much % of daily value in so many categories!  For one roll!  Second, I'm curious where you pulled that label from.  Care to share? :)

Get 2-3 of these and your done for the day!

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10969 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

That's it, I'm switching my diet to 100% Cinnabon.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #10970 on: October 27, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

That's it, I'm switching my diet to 100% Cinnabon.

Don't know the %moisture content and if it's enough, you may have to drink bottled water to complete

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10971 on: October 27, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »

Do it.

Have you done it? That story is one of my all-time Overheard at Work favourites - I need a part two!

I work from home on Fridays and most Mondays so I did it this morning...it took two of them 15 minutes to figure it out and involved a call to our office manager that the fuse might be tripped.  Entertaining, but not as much as I had hoped since only 2 of them were in today.

While this was going on one was bitching that we are out of "plain" (and by plain I mean the 8 dollar a box Numi Gunpowder Green tea) so he has to drink the "other" stuff (Jasmine Green).  I pointed out that we have 2 HUGE boxes of imperial loose leaf green that our Japanese partner brought as a gift the last visit (really freaking good stuff) and I pointed out my two tea strainers that I have clipped to the side of the tea holder thing.  The response I got was "oh I don't know how to work that"...(SERIOUSLY!?!?!) I showed them how you literally open, pour, close and steep.  CW1 said it was too much work, CW2 said he didn't want floaty things in his tea.  If you CLOSE IT, you won't GET loose tea in your cup you asshat...and weren't you the one drinking melted wax for a week straight?

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10972 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

I just googled "cinnabon nutritional" (I'm surprised google itself didn't slap my face for putting those 2 words together).

FWIW, I also discovered that a Swiss Chalet 1/4 chicken meal with white meat and multigrain roll is less calories than a regular cinnabon roll.

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #10973 on: October 27, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
I was visiting a friend, and friend's friend (FF) was there too.  She complained that her company hasn't been reimbursing her for work travel expenses in a timely manner (she hadn't been reimbursed several thousand dollars yet, and submitted months ago).  Which is a problem because she doesn't have enough money to pay her CC bill and still have a couple of thousand on hand in case of emergency.  I told her that the employer couldn't legally do that (withhold reimbursements), and also suggested she check out askamanager.com to get some more insight or tips on how to broach the subject with employer and get what she's legally entitled to.

Friend and I (as planned) head out for lunch and invite FF along - I tell her that the prices are very reasonable (<$12 for AMAZING food), so she knows and can avoid the situation if she's not comfortable spending that amount.  And she says "Oh, I don't care.  I'm going to expense it!"

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10974 on: October 27, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »

Do it.

I work from home on Fridays and most Mondays so I did it this morning...it took two of them 15 minutes to figure it out and involved a call to our office manager that the fuse might be tripped.  Entertaining, but not as much as I had hoped since only 2 of them were in today.

While this was going on one was bitching that we are out of "plain" (and by plain I mean the 8 dollar a box Numi Gunpowder Green tea) so he has to drink the "other" stuff (Jasmine Green).  I pointed out that we have 2 HUGE boxes of imperial loose leaf green that our Japanese partner brought as a gift the last visit (really freaking good stuff) and I pointed out my two tea strainers that I have clipped to the side of the tea holder thing.  The response I got was "oh I don't know how to work that"...(SERIOUSLY!?!?!) I showed them how you literally open, pour, close and steep.  CW1 said it was too much work, CW2 said he didn't want floaty things in his tea.  If you CLOSE IT, you won't GET loose tea in your cup you asshat...and weren't you the one drinking melted wax for a week straight?

?!?!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping the office manager ripped their ears off when they realised why they had been called.

And the green tea thing is just... WTF?! I'm a loose-leaf gal myself and while yes, cleaning the infused is a bit more work than flipping a teabag into the bin, if you have a dishwasher then you have no excuse. I am always astonished by how many people can't figure out how to use them, though, especially judging how much tea to put in. They tend to pack it in right to the top whereas I use a scant teaspoon per mug (imagine if you ripped a tea at open and poured it onto a teaspoon... Yeah, that much) and then they are surprised that their tea tastes like they crammed ten bags into a mug. I always take herbal teabags to work now because people can deal with teabags.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10975 on: October 27, 2015, 12:50:24 PM »

Do it.

While this was going on one was bitching that we are out of "plain" (and by plain I mean the 8 dollar a box Numi Gunpowder Green tea) so he has to drink the "other" stuff (Jasmine Green).  I pointed out that we have 2 HUGE boxes of imperial loose leaf green that our Japanese partner brought as a gift the last visit (really freaking good stuff) and I pointed out my two tea strainers that I have clipped to the side of the tea holder thing.  The response I got was "oh I don't know how to work that"...(SERIOUSLY!?!?!) I showed them how you literally open, pour, close and steep.  CW1 said it was too much work, CW2 said he didn't want floaty things in his tea. If you CLOSE IT, you won't GET loose tea in your cup you asshat...and weren't you the one drinking melted wax for a week straight?

I so hope you said that out loud.  I am always amazed at the excuses folks have to not do something that isn't even any more work.

I left out the asshat part and tried not to sound like a complete bitch by phrasing it as "it least it won't taste like wax" but yes I said it.  I'll still take these dumbasses over the sexually harassing nasty jackasses I used to work with ANY day though. 

It does make me wonder though if that movie Idiocracy isn't slowly playing out in front of my eyes.  Some of the things they've said make me wonder how they have survived into adult hood.  The great tea exchange took the absolute cake though.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10976 on: October 27, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »

Do it.

While this was going on one was bitching that we are out of "plain" (and by plain I mean the 8 dollar a box Numi Gunpowder Green tea) so he has to drink the "other" stuff (Jasmine Green).  I pointed out that we have 2 HUGE boxes of imperial loose leaf green that our Japanese partner brought as a gift the last visit (really freaking good stuff) and I pointed out my two tea strainers that I have clipped to the side of the tea holder thing.  The response I got was "oh I don't know how to work that"...(SERIOUSLY!?!?!) I showed them how you literally open, pour, close and steep.  CW1 said it was too much work, CW2 said he didn't want floaty things in his tea. If you CLOSE IT, you won't GET loose tea in your cup you asshat...and weren't you the one drinking melted wax for a week straight?

I so hope you said that out loud.  I am always amazed at the excuses folks have to not do something that isn't even any more work.

I left out the asshat part and tried not to sound like a complete bitch by phrasing it as "it least it won't taste like wax" but yes I said it.  I'll still take these dumbasses over the sexually harassing nasty jackasses I used to work with ANY day though. 

It does make me wonder though if that movie Idiocracy isn't slowly playing out in front of my eyes.  Some of the things they've said make me wonder how they have survived into adult hood.  The great tea exchange took the absolute cake though.

I'm actually impressed that they are tea drinkers. I'm not going to lie, but I think of tea is being something that requires a little more sophistication, and so I would assume that someone that enjoys tea is either from an Asian upbringing and/or of at least above average intelligence.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10977 on: October 27, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »

[/quote]
I'm actually impressed that they are tea drinkers. I'm not going to lie, but I think of tea is being something that requires a little more sophistication, and so I would assume that someone that enjoys tea is either from an Asian upbringing and/or of at least above average intelligence.
[/quote]

Oh it has nothing to do with sophistication trust me, this is strictly a new thing they have dubbed "tea time" as part of some new fad fitness diet they are trying to use to build muscle.  One of them read in some magazine that tea is better at revving up your metabolism etc so tea time was born a few weeks ago (meanwhile the lazy one is still eating Chic fil a at least three times a week).  Trust me them stuffing three tea bags into a standard paper cup of boiling hot water makes me want to cry a little.  Up until this new fad, I was the only one that didn't live off of the Keurig and fake creamer in this office.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10978 on: October 27, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

Do it.

Of course, he didn't even get into the fact that they probably steep it way too long at too low of temp (although it's green tea, so they might accidentally get the right lowish temp).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #10979 on: October 27, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »
A whole gaggle of CW's must have spent an hour talking about the truck-shopping experience one of them is having. Sounds like he has legit reasons for getting it, but the comments... oy vey, the comments.

I'm pretty sure I just heard a CW say he's never owned any stocks because it's "too much like roulette". Guy in his 60s who's had an Army pension for probably a decade-plus... ZOMG he still has a mortgage?

People shouldn't talk on their phones near me... "all I have is my Army retirement, which is fine unless the government goes tits-up, which there's a good chance of that happening...."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:28:42 AM by zephyr911 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10980 on: October 27, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

Add some cinnamon and I'm in.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10981 on: October 27, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »
I was visiting a friend, and friend's friend (FF) was there too.  She complained that her company hasn't been reimbursing her for work travel expenses in a timely manner (she hadn't been reimbursed several thousand dollars yet, and submitted months ago).  Which is a problem because she doesn't have enough money to pay her CC bill and still have a couple of thousand on hand in case of emergency.  I told her that the employer couldn't legally do that (withhold reimbursements), and also suggested she check out askamanager.com to get some more insight or tips on how to broach the subject with employer and get what she's legally entitled to.

Friend and I (as planned) head out for lunch and invite FF along - I tell her that the prices are very reasonable (<$12 for AMAZING food), so she knows and can avoid the situation if she's not comfortable spending that amount.  And she says "Oh, I don't care.  I'm going to expense it!"

Hmm, I think I see a connection why expenses may not be approved yet...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10982 on: October 27, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »

Hmm, I think I see a connection why expenses may not be approved yet...

A CLUE!!!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10983 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

Add some cinnamon and I'm in.

Treebark!?  Eeewwwww!

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #10984 on: October 27, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Same here - except the new construction is always a condo tower or a boutique mall replacing the cheap ethnic food market that was there.

Yes, sigh. :( That's what happened to my favorite international grocery. Half-empty lux apartments over empty boutique retail space.

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #10985 on: October 27, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
I learned from a CW yesterday that she wakes up at 3:30 AM every morning. And goes to bed at 12:30 AM. And has been doing this for many months, since starting the vanpool to work (which is saving her $800 a month in commuting costs).

My body hurt for her poor body. :(

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10986 on: October 27, 2015, 03:56:17 PM »
I learned from a CW yesterday that she wakes up at 3:30 AM every morning. And goes to bed at 12:30 AM. And has been doing this for many months, since starting the vanpool to work (which is saving her $800 a month in commuting costs).

That's less than minimum wage, isn't it?

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #10987 on: October 27, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »

That's less than minimum wage, isn't it?

Definitely when she was driving. I think the vanpool is like $100 a month, so she's just over minimum wage for our state when I estimate her real hourly wage without the crazy $800 a month for gas.

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10988 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »
A fellow grad student and I live about 3 miles away from a class that's three times a week.  I usually bike to class, but occasionally I am lazy and take the bus.  In my town, a one-way bus-ride costs about $2.50, or if you're a regular user you can get a monthly bus pass for $35 (which would work out to about $1.50 each way to/from class, assuming you never take public transportation for anything else ever).

Anyway I found out yesterday that this other grad student takes Uber every day to/from class.  Horrified, I asked him if that wasn't a bit expensive?  His reply - well, it's only a few dollars more than the bus per ride.. 

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10989 on: October 28, 2015, 05:00:29 AM »

Gross.

Cinnabon is delicious

Add bacon and it become perfection.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10990 on: October 28, 2015, 05:33:20 AM »

YES, but there are some things I don't want to know!!!

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #10991 on: October 28, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
Overheard co-workers discussing what they would do if they won the lottery. I love these discussions so I always chime in.

Me: I wouldn't even need $100M to retire just give me $2M
CW: (puzzled look) I can't retire off $2M
Me: Really? $2M would easily give you $40K a year for the rest of your life, which is exactly what you make right now.
CW: Yeah, true, but I wouldn't have $2M after I bought my big ass house and 3 cars. You gotta have 3 cars. (Another CW proceeds to give said CW high five saying damn right)

Priorities I do not understand.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10992 on: October 28, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »
Overheard co-workers discussing what they would do if they won the lottery. I love these discussions so I always chime in.

Me: Really? $2M would easily give you $40K a year for the rest of your life, which is exactly what you make right now.
CW: Yeah, true, but I wouldn't have $2M after I bought my big ass house and 3 cars. You gotta have 3 cars. (Another CW proceeds to give said CW high five saying damn right)

??? Does she have three cars now?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10993 on: October 28, 2015, 08:10:29 AM »

Forget the big house, change it to a huge garage, and change the 3 cars to 4 and a boat, for me. Oh, I'd probably have a second house. And I'd still likely only need about $2.5 mil (after tax) for all of that--the extra $500k would be for the two houses, the 4 cars, and the boat.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #10994 on: October 28, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »

Haha no. But if they somehow got money 3 cars would be absolutley necessary.

Forget the big house, change it to a huge garage, and change the 3 cars to 4 and a boat, for me. Oh, I'd probably have a second house. And I'd still likely only need about $2.5 mil (after tax) for all of that--the extra $500k would be for the two houses, the 4 cars, and the boat.

If you could fit all the purchases into 500K your idea is valid. This conversaition concluded with talk of million dollar houses and Lambos. At which point he looked at me and said, "See I would need to keep working."

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10995 on: October 28, 2015, 08:37:58 AM »

Haha no. But if they somehow got money 3 cars would be absolutley necessary.

If you could fit all the purchases into 500K your idea is valid. This conversaition concluded with talk of million dollar houses and Lambos. At which point he looked at me and said, "See I would need to keep working."

$250k dream house for me. Maybe up to $350 depending on what is available. Then the "other house" would really just be a base camp where I grew up, so that is only another $150-$300k.

Dream boat is $20-30k, throw in a used BMW 5 series, and a nice 4WD, 4 door pickemup truck, and some combination of 1 to 3 of the following: (Miata, Corvette, Viper, MGA, MGBGT, 911SC, TVR, Morgan 3 wheeler, RX7). We're at about $50-200k total for the toys. So I'm either under my $500k by $50k, or over by $350k.

The Lambo's are really silly when you get down to it, even though I wouldn't kick a Diablo out of bed.

So I'm over but not by a whole lot.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10996 on: October 28, 2015, 08:47:42 AM »
Dream boat is $20-30k, throw in a used BMW 5 series, and a nice 4WD, 4 door pickemup truck, and some combination of 1 to 3 of the following: (Miata, Corvette, Viper, MGA, MGBGT, 911SC, TVR, Morgan 3 wheeler, RX7). We're at about $50-200k total for the toys. So I'm either under my $500k by $50k, or over by $350k.

The Lambo's are really silly when you get down to it, even though I wouldn't kick a Diablo out of bed.

So I'm over but not by a whole lot.

Yeah, no thanks on the Lambo's.

My collection would look something more like - Supra MKIV, 70's Civic HB in yellow, '83 Civic Wagon, 99-00 Civic HB, NSX, Integra Type R, Lotus Exige, '05 STi, umm... a Toyota Tacoma/Tundra and I guess a Tesla for the wife. :)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:20:15 AM by HairyUpperLip »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10997 on: October 28, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
You know, if money really were no object I could easily spend over £1 million on housing. I'd buy a medium sized house with a bit of land (large garden and a bit of woodland) in the country somewhere like Suffolk with a decent train service into Victoria/Waterloo and then a teeny pied-a-terre right in the middle of London. Seriously, that's my £2 million gone right there.

So I reckon £3 million would totally set me up - £2 million to buy my house and flat, and then £1 million to cover all the expenses I could ever want.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10998 on: October 28, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
People shouldn't talk on their phones near me... "all I have is my Army retirement, which is fine as long unless the government goes tits-up, which there's a good chance of that happening...."
So his greatest worry when the government with the mightiest army in the world, not even counting thousands of nuclear weapons, is going "tits up" is his pension?
He hasn't got fantasy, does he?

Or I might just not understand tits up, me little foreigner me.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10999 on: October 28, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
Co-worker D had a bad bug a couple of weeks ago (respiratory - head cold, coughing, lost his voice, etc.). I came down with something similar a week later. Co-worker C starts going on about this supplement she takes, and since she started taking it she NEVER gets sick, and we should totally try it and it's only $40 a month. She said she doesn't usually go for these things (which I happen to know is a lie, but whatevs) but her husband takes it and he NEVER gets sick so she was convinced, and blah blah blah. Co-worker D was convinced by her and said he was going to start taking them.

So, guess who's sick this week (and spreading it around the office, naturally) - Co-worker C who "never" gets sick! Oh, and she says her husband is sick, too. I'm not sure I'm mean enough to call her out on the supplement B.S. about "never" getting sick... ;-)