Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252991 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13850 on: July 11, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »
They both said something to the effect of "It's better to wait to have kids because your career is more advanced, so you can buy your kids whatever they want and you never have to tell them 'no'." lol

Casually racist *and* financially irresponsible, that's gonna be hard to top.

Am I missing something here? There wasn't any race mentioned anywhere....

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13851 on: July 11, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »
They both said something to the effect of "It's better to wait to have kids because your career is more advanced, so you can buy your kids whatever they want and you never have to tell them 'no'." lol

VP=Vietnamese people

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #13852 on: July 11, 2016, 09:14:17 PM »

VP=Vietnamese people

Around here 'Manager' is a derogatory term...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13853 on: July 11, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
Maybe he read it as "buy your kids wherever you want" (instead of whatever they want)?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13854 on: July 11, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
Maybe he read it as "buy your kids wherever you want" (instead of whatever they want)?

White babies cost a premium. 

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #13855 on: July 11, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »
Wow, looks like an edit went in *just* as I clicked quote, and I missed that it didn't say the original thing it said when I saw it.  The word "kids" was definitely not the first thing that appeared in that comment...

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13856 on: July 11, 2016, 10:06:19 PM »
Wow, looks like an edit went in *just* as I clicked quote, and I missed that it didn't say the original thing it said when I saw it.  The word "kids" was definitely not the first thing that appeared in that comment...

Now I'm even more confused, as armueller2001's post doesn't say it was edited.

Edit: When a post is edited, you'll see a little thing under the post that says  « Last Edit: [time] by [forum handle] »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:08:50 PM by johnny847 »

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #13857 on: July 11, 2016, 10:20:47 PM »
Yes, but if you edit it right away, that never appears.

SOMETHING NOT RACIST <-- Soon to read "Not" when I edit it in the next 30 seconds

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13858 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »

Edit: When a post is edited, you'll see a little thing under the post that says  « Last Edit: [time] by [forum handle] »

Sometimes you can edit a post quick enough, and that doesn't show.  It will always show if more than a few minutes have passed, or if a reply is posted.  If lind had the tab open, muller edited it, lind hit quote, lind's quote would now have the new text, and there wouldn't necessarily have the edited by text.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #13859 on: July 11, 2016, 10:23:28 PM »
Just so everyone's not confused, by the way, replace "kids" in what I quoted above with the plural n-word.

(BTw, I edited this post too!)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13860 on: July 11, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »

Sometimes you can edit a post quick enough, and that doesn't show.  It will always show if more than a few minutes have passed, or if a reply is posted.  If lind had the tab open, muller edited it, lind hit quote, lind's quote would now have the new text, and there wouldn't necessarily have the edited by text.

Oh that's weird. I didn't realize it gave you a short time window to edit without it showing as edited.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13861 on: July 12, 2016, 12:10:32 AM »
Just so everyone's not confused, by the way, replace "kids" in what I quoted above with the plural n-word.

(BTw, I edited this post too!)

Just the second one, I assume? 

That's definitely a weird thing to say.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13862 on: July 12, 2016, 01:57:32 AM »
Where has armueller gone?  The n word is not something that will typically autocorrect but let's not jump to conclusions without a mat

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13863 on: July 12, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
Where has armueller gone?  The n word is not something that will typically autocorrect but let's not jump to conclusions without a mat

maybe depends on how often you type it in your device?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13864 on: July 12, 2016, 07:05:58 AM »
There also has to be a way to change subscription options. I don't get a notification of anything from this forum but private messages.

I think the "official" way is to lock a thread and link to the new version. That way anyone who doesn't want to keep seeing it in "new posts" can avoid it.

I'm tempted to make a new account sometimes because I've posted in way too many threads I don't care about that keep. on. going.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13865 on: July 12, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
CoWorker: Well, we had to go out for dinner last night.
Self: You HAD to?
CoWorker: Yeah, we took out ground beef to make burgers, but then I realized we had no buns.
Self: So why not just run to the store and get buns?
CoWorker: Oh, if I used debit it would put us in overdraft and I don't want to pay the fees, but the restaurant takes VISA.

Facepalm & walk away.

What? The grocery store takes Visa too...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13866 on: July 12, 2016, 07:44:14 AM »
CoWorker: Yeah, we took out ground beef to make burgers, but then I realized we had no buns.
CoWorker: Oh, if I used debit it would put us in overdraft and I don't want to pay the fees, but the restaurant takes VISA.

Facepalm & walk away.
I'll admit to going to a restaurant because we had no buns. It's the inevitable result of no willpower+passing tons of restaurants on the walk to the grocery store. I am determined to try to make buns next time, however.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13867 on: July 12, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.
I'll admit to going to a restaurant because we had no buns. It's the inevitable result of no willpower+passing tons of restaurants on the walk to the grocery store. I am determined to try to make buns next time, however.

Too long to do--it is not a 30 minute endeavor.

Related, my wife and I didn't want the frozen salmon burgers again and all our spinach had gone bad. So our options were grilled cheese or soup. Neither seemed that appetizing in the heat, so we went out for tacos, which doesn't make any sense either. In our defense on that one, we did have a time crunch and had to get to the pharmacy before it closed (and yes, the tacos are faster than the grilled cheese).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13868 on: July 12, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »

Too long to do--it is not a 30 minute endeavor.

Related, my wife and I didn't want the frozen salmon burgers again and all our spinach had gone bad. So our options were grilled cheese or soup. Neither seemed that appetizing in the heat, so we went out for tacos, which doesn't make any sense either. In our defense on that one, we did have a time crunch and had to get to the pharmacy before it closed (and yes, the tacos are faster than the grilled cheese).

These take an hour, but come out well. We've been happy with them. They could pass as slider buns in a pinch, but yeah, they take an hour.

http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Quick-Pan-Rolls
SoccerLounge posted this recipe for 40 minute buns (which sounds like a workout video) in another thread: http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/10/40-minute-super-soft-hamburger-buns/

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13869 on: July 12, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »
And both of those have been bookmarked. Thanks folks!

But the hour is still sometimes too long for my wife. Last night for instance--we both got home around 7:30PM, she hadn't had a chance to eat her lunch, and on top of that it was a certain time of the month... Yeah, food needed to be served NOW.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13870 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »
What? The grocery store takes Visa too...

Some do, some don't depends which store you go to. Regardless; around here the menu would change to chili or spaghetti or something else we had on hand.

Or burgers without buns? That is a thing...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13871 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:52 AM »
Oh c'mon! You don't need buns to enjoy your burger. I rarely use buns nowadays as I don't really enjoy their taste. I either use lettuce to hold it together or just eat it with a knife and fork. You can even mix it with a salad.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13872 on: July 12, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
Oh c'mon! You don't need buns to enjoy your burger. I rarely use buns nowadays as I don't really enjoy their taste. I either use lettuce to hold it together or just eat it with a knife and fork. You can even mix it with a salad.

You're making your buns wrong then.  Buns are the BEST part of the hamburger.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13873 on: July 12, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »

I suppose you have me there, I don't make my buns, I just buy them in the grocery store  (or used to) and then would put them on a grill for a little bit before consumption.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13874 on: July 12, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »

Alas, I cannot have the carbs that often.  So 3/4 times I have burgers, they must be bunless.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #13875 on: July 12, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »
Coworker who just bought a new house, owns a huge truck (that he has admitted to paying 750 a month on and never uses it except to commute the 50 miles to work), whose wife leased an Audi without telling him, just was bragging about his week of vacation in the Hamptons...

God, I'm glad I am not his wallet. It must hurt so much.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13876 on: July 12, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »
There also has to be a way to change subscription options. I don't get a notification of anything from this forum but private messages.

I think the "official" way is to lock a thread and link to the new version. That way anyone who doesn't want to keep seeing it in "new posts" can avoid it.

I'm tempted to make a new account sometimes because I've posted in way too many threads I don't care about that keep. on. going.

I say we *nuke the whole thread from orbit... It's the only way to be surr
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:52:35 PM by dragoncar »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13877 on: July 12, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
Coworker who just bought a new house, owns a huge truck (that he has admitted to paying 750 a month on and never uses it except to commute the 50 miles to work), whose wife leased an Audi without telling him, just was bragging about his week of vacation in the Hamptons...

That's not a bad idea. In fact, maybe it could be done once a year - as a housekeeping task. Mods?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13878 on: July 12, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »

That's not a bad idea. In fact, maybe it could be done once a year - as a housekeeping task. Mods?

Of course we will lease an Audi every year.  Standard housekeeping task

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13879 on: July 12, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »

Of course we will lease an Audi every year.  Standard housekeeping task

And we were just talking about properly quoting people!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13880 on: July 12, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
Dang! Got me. Sorry!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13881 on: July 12, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
And we were just talking about properly quoting people!

totes

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13882 on: July 12, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »

I was trying to quote this ^

I think if we could do this once a year - just for these mondo threads - it would help us out a little.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13883 on: July 12, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »

I was trying to quote this ^

I think if we could do this once a year - just for these mondo threads - it would help us out a little.

And force me to re-post every year just to keep it on my list of threads? Oy vey

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13884 on: July 12, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
Posting to get replies.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #13885 on: July 12, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13886 on: July 12, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

You just signed up for a discussion about how black boxes are actually orange.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13887 on: July 12, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »
SoccerLounge posted this recipe for 40 minute buns (which sounds like a workout video)...

*Slow clap.*

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13888 on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »
Anyone else have Sir Mix-a-Lot in their heads right now?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13889 on: July 12, 2016, 08:26:49 PM »
Anyone else have Sir Mix-a-Lot in their heads right now?

Every single day since 1992. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13890 on: July 12, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

Some of them are yellow.

Rustycage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13891 on: July 12, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
When I read stories like Prospector's, I start to think that some of these stories are made up.

But then reading through 280+ pages of this makes me realise that they aren't, and that these people commonly exist in the world.

:(

FWIW, I've made burgers plenty of times without buns, and have just put them on the same bread I use for toast ("Oh the horror!", I hear the typical Anti-Mustachian say)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13892 on: July 12, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
FWIW, I've made burgers plenty of times without buns, and have just put them on the same bread I use for toast ("Oh the horror!", I hear the typical Anti-Mustachian say)

Right? It's not like they were out of mayo or something else imperative to having a hamburger.

canuck_24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13893 on: July 13, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

It cracks me up that all the reactions are in regards to the buns... and nothing about how that package of buns would cause this family to go into overdraft?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13894 on: July 13, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »
They don't have a jar of change laying around that they could pilfer for the $3 of hamburger buns?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13895 on: July 13, 2016, 08:59:49 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

It cracks me up that all the reactions are in regards to the buns... and nothing about how that package of buns would cause this family to go into overdraft?
I'm more confused on what grocery store does not take credit cards.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13896 on: July 13, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

Aldi's for a while never took credit cards.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13897 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

Some of them are yellow.

See what you got yourself into?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13898 on: July 13, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

Still don't, or at least mine didn't as of 3 or so months ago.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13899 on: July 13, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

Still don't, or at least mine didn't as of 3 or so months ago.

Yeah they didn't for the longest time, but that also raises another point. You can buy buns for less than $2 if you buy the generic crap, more for better quality ones. Does the coworker not have that much cash on his/her person? You could scrounge through your car seats and likely pick up enough right there.

I realize that you coworker likely came home, found out that they were out of buns and being tired, stressed, and hungry likely said something along the lines "Q#)E it" and went out. I can sympathize, that's happened to me oftentimes.