Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253079 times)

auntie_betty

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5700 on: December 05, 2014, 04:36:42 AM »

"But then the nearby 7-11 (that I pass all the time) started stocking single serve Haagen-Dazs.  I may need a new rule."

No buying ice-cream with places with numbers in their name?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5701 on: December 05, 2014, 06:14:22 AM »
About a dozen years ago I came up with the Ice Cream Rule.  It has two parts:
1.  Ice Cream (or similar frozen treats) is not allowed in my house
2.  I can have ice cream whenever I want, but I must walk to get it

There's a Baskin Robbins two blocks away, so this could be dangerous.  But I've found I'm too cheap to pay ice cream parlor prices (I think I've only been there twice ever) and too lazy to make a special trip walking the 3/4 mile to the grocery store for cheaper options.  So not too tempting.

But then the nearby 7-11 (that I pass all the time) started stocking single serve Haagen-Dazs.  I may need a new rule.

No more ice cream than your body has room for is a good start.

My body makes room for ice cream.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5702 on: December 05, 2014, 09:22:18 AM »
Me: So how's married life going now that you've lived together for 7 months?
CW: It's tough sometimes.  We're still working on the best way to do finances, etc.
Me: Yeah
CW: Yeah she goes grocery shopping all the time and we throw out a bunch of food.
Me: Yeah, that's tough.
CW:  And me, I buy cheap shampoo or whatever, but just last week I saw a $200 transaction from Ulta on our debit card.
Me: Ouch.
CW:  I know.  I tried to tell her she should be using a credit card for that so that we can get rewards, but she says her mom tells her to quit using her credit card until she pays down the balance.
Me: poker face

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5703 on: December 05, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
CW: It's tough sometimes.  We're still working on the best way to do finances, etc.
CW: Yeah she goes grocery shopping all the time and we throw out a bunch of food.
CW:  And me, I buy cheap shampoo or whatever, but just last week I saw a $200 transaction from Ulta on our debit card.
CW:  I know.  I tried to tell her she should be using a credit card for that so that we can get rewards, but she says her mom tells her to quit using her credit card until she pays down the balance.
You've gotta walk before you can crawl - right?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5704 on: December 05, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »
I'm listing to some coworkers right now talk about fancy restaurants and their discussing what they paid.

Employee1:  I looked at the menu and saw wine paring for $220 and thought well sure for $20 bucks more we can have some wine with our meals.  But then when I got the check it was $220 just for the wine pairing and did not include the $200 meal.

Employee2:  For two people at French Laundry, without wine it was about $750.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-french-laundry-yountville-2

I eating my non-fancy mixed nuts and almost chocked on an almond when I heard that one meal for two cost half my rent or food for a month for a family of 4.

That's impressive. We are having trouble justifying a Sunday brunch which is ~$35 a person (includes crab, so it's not that exorbitant, just way more than I'm used to spending on a brunch). Just thinking of spending that much blows my mind.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5705 on: December 05, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »

This kind of stuff is so foreign to me. I've never had a car payment, let alone a credit card balance. It's just so weird for me to think of it. How do they function by just knowing that they have that much debt floating out there.

jordanread

« Reply #5706 on: December 05, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
[...] How do they function by just knowing that they have that much debt floating out there.

Very carefully, and with lots of stress. Except that it's 'normal'. A very carefully constructed idea as to what life is supposed to be like.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #5707 on: December 05, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »
Ha - I was exactly the same way! I have a major sweet tooth and was buying 2-3 packages of cookies every time I went to the store. No problem with the waistline (I'm blessed genetically there) but definitely not good for my health.

I've recently gone cold turkey with cookies and sweets, and am now buying raw unsalted nuts. Hopefully that helps!

I have VERY rarely wanted cookies or ice cream bad enough to go out and get them; few minutes of will power at the store or while pointing/clicking is way easier than 24/7 power.

Really? I have made ice cream runs way too often in my life, and I make cookies when the mood strikes, actually I don't make them near as often as the mood striking, or I would weigh a lot more.

There's a Baskin Robbins two blocks away, so this could be dangerous.  But I've found I'm too cheap to pay ice cream parlor prices (I think I've only been there twice ever) and too lazy to make a special trip walking the 3/4 mile to the grocery store for cheaper options.  So not too tempting.

But then the nearby 7-11 (that I pass all the time) started stocking single serve Haagen-Dazs.  I may need a new rule.

I found something that works very well for me... Diminishing returns..

The very first bit of ice cream is AMAZING WOWZA... the second bite is pretty darn good, and after that I'm just eating it b/c it's in front of me.   I buy and keep a half gallon of the local, university made ice cream in my freezer, and I go over with a clean spoon and take a single scoop out, close it up, put it back in the freezer, and share half of the scoop with my wife.  I get the most ROI on calories consumed vs enjoyment, while also minimizing extra calories consumed.   It's win win win!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5708 on: December 05, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »
Ha - I was exactly the same way! I have a major sweet tooth and was buying 2-3 packages of cookies every time I went to the store. No problem with the waistline (I'm blessed genetically there) but definitely not good for my health.

I've recently gone cold turkey with cookies and sweets, and am now buying raw unsalted nuts. Hopefully that helps!

I have VERY rarely wanted cookies or ice cream bad enough to go out and get them; few minutes of will power at the store or while pointing/clicking is way easier than 24/7 power.

Really? I have made ice cream runs way too often in my life, and I make cookies when the mood strikes, actually I don't make them near as often as the mood striking, or I would weigh a lot more.

The very first bit of ice cream is AMAZING WOWZA... the second bite is pretty darn good, and after that I'm just eating it b/c it's in front of me.   I buy and keep a half gallon of the local, university made ice cream in my freezer, and I go over with a clean spoon and take a single scoop out, close it up, put it back in the freezer, and share half of the scoop with my wife.  I get the most ROI on calories consumed vs enjoyment, while also minimizing extra calories consumed.   It's win win win!

I don't have that much willpower.  Thankfully, ice cream is my husband's preferred sweet treat, not mine.  And I do the grocery shopping.  My preference for sweets are baked goods, like cookies and cakes.  Cakes are now out, since it's just us and toddler, so cakes are too big.  Cookies are generally out because my husband doesn't care for most of them and I don't want to eat a whole batch of cookies by myself, or let the 1-year-old eat too many cookies.  So I sort of have external forces keeping me from baking as much as I want to.
I'm really excited because where I work, we give out free cookies and coffee to students during finals week.  I get to make all the Christmas cookies I want but won't feel pressured to eat them all because I can give them away.  Yay!  I can stuff my face with a few of each kind....

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5709 on: December 05, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
[...] How do they function by just knowing that they have that much debt floating out there.

Very carefully, and with lots of stress. Except that it's 'normal'. A very carefully constructed idea as to what life is supposed to be like.

I've posted this before but it always hits home when I begin to think about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_YAeXOSiw

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5710 on: December 05, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »

I've posted this before but it always hits home when I begin to think about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_YAeXOSiw

Aagh !
I clicked on that.   OMG.  Funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5711 on: December 05, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
The funny part is that's who they're marketing to.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5712 on: December 05, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »
Um, to me that's the sad part.  Even sadder is they'll get customers.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5713 on: December 05, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »
Well, talk about a commute -

One of my coworkers lives in the Bay Area and works here on the Central Coast.  He used to stay in a hotel here and fly home weekly.  He's an engineer, and probably overpaid for his worth.  His wife makes 3x what he does in the Bay Area.

Anyway, he joined this new "all you can fly" service.  For only $1600-1800/month, direct flights (private charter), one hour.  So he flies home every night and flies back every morning.  Then again, a 1 BR apartment is about $1500, so maybe he's not all that crazy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:01:48 PM by mm1970 »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5714 on: December 05, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
Anyway, he joined this new "all you can fly" service.  For only $1600-1800/month, direct flights (private charter), one hour.  So he flies home every night and flies back every morning.  Then again, a 1 BR apartment is about $1500, so maybe he's not all that crazy.

It looks like he is paying a little over $40 a flight ($80/day).  Not mustachian but probably cheaper than renting a place and driving on the weekends.  He probably gets some pretty good bragging rights out of it as well!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5715 on: December 05, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
Not to mention seeing his wife and kids every night!!

crispy

« Reply #5716 on: December 05, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

There is no diminishing returns for me when it comes to ice cream especially good ice cream.  Every bite is as good as the next so much so that I could polish off a half gallon in about two days.  Yeah, there is a reason why I can't have ice cream in my house.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5717 on: December 05, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »

No more ice cream than your body has room for is a good start.

My body makes room for ice cream.

It goes to my second stomach reserved only for dessert.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5718 on: December 05, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Not to mention seeing his wife and kids every night!!
Well, wife.  No kids.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #5719 on: December 05, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »

So you too?

That was always the way it was growing up. So stuffed we couldn't eat another bite... but dessert? We we have room for that!

My (skinny and healthy) family has desert at both lunch and dinner every day. I've gone down to desert a couple times a week with difficulty.

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #5720 on: December 05, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »

Yes!  This!  I used to say this all the time when I was a child.  Sorry, Mom, my regular stomach is full, but my dessert stomach is empty.  I even used to pretend my arms were a gauge to show the fullness of my two stomachs.  I love that I'm not the only one with a separate dessert stomach. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5721 on: December 05, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »

Yes!  This!  I used to say this all the time when I was a child.  Sorry, Mom, my regular stomach is full, but my dessert stomach is empty.  I even used to pretend my arms were a gauge to show the fullness of my two stomachs.  I love that I'm not the only one with a separate dessert stomach.

Just remember that cows have four stomachs!  One for hay and three for dessert.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #5722 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
It was always middle-aged people in nice, fancy cars using the grocery store pickup, so I always laughed at them as I walked past.

But I have no idea how much it costs at home... maybe, since I'm that person who always gets more than what's on the list, it could actually save money? Thoughts?

As long as the extra food you purchasing doesn't lead to food waste, I never have qualms with buying extra perishables that weren't on the list.  That just means, in the end, it will be slightly longer until your next grocery store run.

If you waste food because it is getting old, however, that is a different story.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5723 on: December 06, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »

Good  sum, so true.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #5724 on: December 06, 2014, 09:59:45 AM »

Wow.  Check out some of the linked videos on that page.  Apparently making fun of debt collectors on you tube is a thing.  "Look at me!  I'm so funny.  I don't know how to pay people back that I borrowed money from while I sit on my ass drinking beer!" I would be embarrassed.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #5725 on: December 06, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
Another one here with a daughter with a second tummy for dessert. She's 29 :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5726 on: December 06, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
I have managed to break my dependency on ice cream, though I don't recommend my method.  I developed an allergy to all milk products, so I don't have any real desire for ice cream any more!  And all the non dairy ones just aren't as good!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5727 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:29 PM »
I have managed to break my dependency on ice cream, though I don't recommend my method.  I developed an allergy to all milk products, so I don't have any real desire for ice cream any more!  And all the non dairy ones just aren't as good!

1.5 frozen bananas, one tablespoon cocoa. Whir in food processor until smooth. You're welcome. :-)

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #5728 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
Today I had a funny conversation with one of my coworkers,

CW: Are you watching the game (NBA) tonight?
Me: Actually I'm not, I canceled my cable yesterday(yaayyyy me - saves me $118 mo)
CW: What do you mean?
Me: Ahh what do you mean? I just canceled it.
CW: Like you don't have TV anymore?
Me: Well I still got my TV's and I have Netflix($8 mo) and Hulu(free w/bros account)
CW: Yeah but you don't have cable so now what?
Me: I'll watch something on Netflix or Hulu.
CW: There's no way I could cancel my cable, even if it was double that price.

I honestly feel sick to my stomach that it took me this long(and this site) to realize how stupid I was for paying for a service I hardly used and definitely didn't need. I can watch all my favorite shows for $8/free mo and catch the sports games on the local stations if I get the digital antenna($40).

You don't need a digital antenna- you need an awesome homemade one: http://makezine.com/projects/digital-tv-coat-hanger-antenna/

We made one of these and it works beautifully.   Crystal clear HD network channels for free.  Cost about $3.  Works infinitely better than our old store-bought one.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5729 on: December 07, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »

1.5 frozen bananas, one tablespoon cocoa. Whir in food processor until smooth. You're welcome. :-)
I beg to differ, bananas are not food.  Blech!  I've also tried avocado; I love avocado but it doesn't work with chocolate.

I have figured out how to make very good non dairy brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and chewy granola bars, so my life is still worth living :-)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5730 on: December 07, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »
With the ice cream I do try to be picky, and I have noticed the ROI on ice cream, or any food for that matter, the first few bites taste the best.

I buy the expensive Ben and Jerry's and then try to make it last a long time, it sure is worth it, so delicious!!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5731 on: December 07, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »
Love the banana ice cream.  I bought an off brand super blender on huge clearance and it works superbly for this.  Also... from my nephew last week, "Grandma, I'm dinner full. I'm not ice cream full."

On topic...  I have a coworker who recently lost a house to bankruptcy.  It was way more house than they needed, in the first place.  They blamed losing the house on lots of different things, but the real reason they lost the place?  The amount they ate out, two or three times every day for four people (at least... they often paid for other people eating out with them).  I mathed it out.  They were paying more for their fast food than for their house.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5732 on: December 08, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »
Love the banana ice cream.  I bought an off brand super blender on huge clearance and it works superbly for this.  Also... from my nephew last week, "Grandma, I'm dinner full. I'm not ice cream full."

On topic...  I have a coworker who recently lost a house to bankruptcy.  It was way more house than they needed, in the first place.  They blamed losing the house on lots of different things, but the real reason they lost the place?  The amount they ate out, two or three times every day for four people (at least... they often paid for other people eating out with them).  I mathed it out.  They were paying more for their fast food than for their house.

That's depressing. I always want to be a "helpful" fairy and drop off a post it note on their chair with those calculations. I'm sure they wouldn't believe it though.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5733 on: December 08, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »

That's depressing. I always want to be a "helpful" fairy and drop off a post it note on their chair with those calculations. I'm sure they wouldn't believe it though.
Also, that would come across more as creepy stalker fairy than helpful fairy.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5734 on: December 08, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »

Also, that would come across more as creepy stalker fairy than helpful fairy.

I wouldn't sign it, so they wouldn't know that I was the stalker!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5735 on: December 08, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »

So, quite literally eating out of house and home?

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #5736 on: December 08, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
I'm listing to some coworkers right now talk about fancy restaurants and their discussing what they paid.

Employee1:  I looked at the menu and saw wine paring for $220 and thought well sure for $20 bucks more we can have some wine with our meals.  But then when I got the check it was $220 just for the wine pairing and did not include the $200 meal.

Employee2:  For two people at French Laundry, without wine it was about $750.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-french-laundry-yountville-2

I eating my non-fancy mixed nuts and almost chocked on an almond when I heard that one meal for two cost half my rent or food for a month for a family of 4.

Yes, one meal could easily feed a family for more than a month! even with a cheap bottle of wine a few days.

I had to read the reviews of the place, because wow! I can't believe people would pay that for a meal. I've had some really good food, but nothing that was worth $750 for a meal. One thing that people kept talking about was the Wagyu Beef and comparing it to other restaurants that they have had it in. I had watched a documentary one time on Wagyu/Kobe Beef and most places that advertise it as such, don't actually serve real Wagyu Beef. So people are just basically paying a big price for regular old beef.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5737 on: December 08, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
Wow, that's one expensive restaurant. I'm guilty of occasionally spending very unmustachian amounts of money for eating out, but it's all peanuts compared to this place.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5738 on: December 08, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
We went there once for my in laws 30th wedding anniversary. Food was very good but it didn't stand out for me. However it was on my mother in law's bucket list and they were glad that they could get a reservation there. Apparently it takes months to get reservations.

Of course, they insisted on paying for a party of ten. They are comfortably FI and have been so for years that I think this bill wouldn't have made a big dent in their budget.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #5739 on: December 08, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
We went there once for my in laws 30th wedding anniversary. Food was very good but it didn't stand out for me. However it was on my mother in law's bucket list and they were glad that they could get a reservation there. Apparently it takes months to get reservations.

Of course, they insisted on paying for a party of ten. They are comfortably FI and have been so for years that I think this bill wouldn't have made a big dent in their budget.

We went with some friends to http://www.manresarestaurant.com/ once.  I had heard it was expensive but didn't realize how expensive.  Foolishy, we went into it saying 'on us' because it was our turn to pay based on previous outings.
The price tag wasn't the only problem.

A) Portion size was small.
B) On any given night I might not be able to taste, as my allergies can be bad.  And this night they were bad. I couldn't even taste the food when I blew my nose.  (Yeah - I'm that guy).
C) Between wine and dinner, it came out to something like $500.  And that didn't include tip! 

We paid. When I got home, I at a big bowl of cereal because I was still hungry.  I would have rather eaten at pasta pomodoro.

I will never find value in eating at a place that is so expensive.  Even DH, who could taste, found the food was a big 'meh'. 

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5740 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
Our portion slices were smallish too but that many more space for ice cream after the meal :D

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5741 on: December 09, 2014, 02:18:21 AM »

We went with some friends to http://www.manresarestaurant.com/ once.  I had heard it was expensive but didn't realize how expensive.  Foolishy, we went into it saying 'on us' because it was our turn to pay based on previous outings.
The price tag wasn't the only problem.

A) Portion size was small.
B) On any given night I might not be able to taste, as my allergies can be bad.  And this night they were bad. I couldn't even taste the food when I blew my nose.  (Yeah - I'm that guy).
C) Between wine and dinner, it came out to something like $500.  And that didn't include tip! 

We paid. When I got home, I at a big bowl of cereal because I was still hungry.  I would have rather eaten at pasta pomodoro.

I will never find value in eating at a place that is so expensive.  Even DH, who could taste, found the food was a big 'meh'.
You dont go there for eating, you go there for brag rights and more importantly to be seen.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5742 on: December 09, 2014, 04:36:09 AM »
Friend: Every year I ask for a magazine subscription for Christmas. Last year, no-one bought it for me! I was livid! I missed a month. Like, if you're not going to buy it for me JUST TELL ME, then I know to pick up a copy that month!

Me: Oh, what magazine?

Friend: Stuff.

Me: Stuff...?

Friend: Stuff. That's the name of the magazine.

-------

I SWEAR TO GOD, there is a magazine called, and dedicated to, the accumulation of stuff. http://www.stuff-magazine.co.uk/ I've seen it all.

Presumably he's made because he missed out on being told what 'must have' item he had to waste his hard earned money on that month? (The rest of our conversation was about how much this couple hated their jobs, how hard their lives were, how annoying their ironing lady was, how they disliked their childminder, how they just can't live on their paltry (massive) salaries etc). They mentioned how relaxed and easy our lives seemed. Yep.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5743 on: December 09, 2014, 06:32:58 AM »
My friends and I have a group chat (groupme). Just like a big group text where everyone can respond and add pictures and stuff.
Anyways, this went down as a few friends were complaining about Mondays:

Friend 1: Come to think of it, why did Garfield hate Mondays? He's a cat with no job. He should have no care about the days of the week.
Me: That's my life goal. Retire early so I don't have to complain about it being Monday!
Friend 2: By that time all you'll have to complain about are your ailments.
Me: Not when I'm 40 and retired!

Silence.

Conversation went on to how one of my friends father just retired and he's thrilled because he can help out on a friend's farm. Another friends father was an engineer and decided to go back to school to become a high school teacher. He LOVES his job now; he has the whole summer off where he bikes/canoes/does tons of outdoor stuff, plus he has all the snow days off!

Anyways, I can't believe that my friends are that out of hope when they're not even 30. They just expect that they're going to be working till they're old and out of shape and in pain all day.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5744 on: December 09, 2014, 08:03:55 AM »
Anyways, I can't believe that my friends are that out of hope when they're not even 30. They just expect that they're going to be working till they're old and out of shape and in pain all day.

I think it's not so much that they're out of hope on it (i.e. given up), but just that they don't consider it a possibility even.  At least, that's what I feel is usually the case.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5745 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »

I think it's not so much that they're out of hope on it (i.e. given up), but just that they don't consider it a possibility even.  At least, that's what I feel is usually the case.

That's a good point. I think I said this yesterday but "You don't know what you don't know." But then I see them financing two new Jeeps, buying a huge home, etc. Granted, they lived at home for a long time, so hopefully they saved up a bunch of $$$.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5746 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
Wow, that's one expensive restaurant. I'm guilty of occasionally spending very unmustachian amounts of money for eating out, but it's all peanuts compared to this place.

Can these places be worth the expense? I haven't been to a Michelin rated restaurant yet, but don't relish spending $100 for a tasting menu that while delicious, leaves me wanting another meal as soon as I get home.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #5747 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »

Can these places be worth the expense? I haven't been to a Michelin rated restaurant yet, but don't relish spending $100 for a tasting menu that while delicious, leaves me wanting another meal as soon as I get home.

There's a fancy place near me that is really bad about portions. We went there once and got a burger at the nextdoor bar afterwards. The burger, in all honesty, was as delicious. Maybe I'm not civilized.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5748 on: December 09, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »

There's a fancy place near me that is really bad about portions. We went there once and got a burger at the nextdoor bar afterwards. The burger, in all honesty, was as delicious. Maybe I'm not civilized.

The best food I ever had was in Montreal. Thing about French food is that it takes 2-3 hours for a meal and costs a lot per person. I believe that with wine the final price was about $200 ($150 US at the time). Melt-in-your-mouth amazingness. It was 3 people for that price. At the end, I was just full. Still, I prefer having comfort food. It was worth the experience and was by far the best "fancy" meal I ever had.

Here's the link to the restaurant's offering closest to what I had then (in French 'cause Montreal): http://www.restaurantbonaparte.com/nos-menus/menus-soir/menus-soir-2/menu-degustation/

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5749 on: December 09, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
Eating out at two separate restaurants for the same meal? That's about as unmustacian as you can get.