Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253231 times)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16250 on: January 01, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
Co-worker has recently split with their partner and has a couple of kids.

They are struggling to work out budgeting after 20 odd years of marriage and shared expenses which is understandable. What I don't get is that they are struggling financially to manage and yet keep doing things like buying one of the kids a car or agreeing to pay for a birthday party for 100 guests with food and alcohol provided...
This co-worker popped up on my Facebook feed over Christmas. They purchased a new phone for one of their children and was organising to have the old phone repaired to give to another of their children.

The new phone recipient posted about it on Facebook and the second hand phone recipient commented complaining about being the least favourite child (they are an adult with a full time job). Cue the parent chiming in and announcing that they will both be receiving brand new phones.

I wonder if the kids realise the level of financial stress indulging them is putting their parents under.

The parents who decided to buy adult children expensive cell phones?  It seems like the parents are the cause of their own issues, both in the choice of gifts and the raising of the recipients.

crispy

« Reply #16251 on: January 01, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »

Am I the only person who thinks the LulaRoe stuff is ugly as am get out? Funky printed leggings on thick thighs is not a good look.

I had to look it up but... so ugly.  Ladies, please no.  Unless it's like ironic at an 80's party.

It's fine. Folks can wear fun patterns if they want.

Quit being so uptight.

Says the man who has obviously not had to avert his eyes to avoid getting an eyeful of butt and thigh when his coworker is wearing these too tight, ugly leggings as pants. We have had to add a note in our dress code at work to address it.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #16252 on: January 01, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
They added something to our dress code at work as well. I love leggings, but wear them as tights under a dress or long tunic, not as pants.

I saw a funny meme on FB or pinterest or somewhere that said " You know what they would call leggings if they were meant to be worn as pants? PANTS!"

thebattlewalrus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16253 on: January 01, 2017, 12:23:02 PM »
Overheard a co-worker earlier this week talking to his wife over the phone about a jeep. He bought a brand new 2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited earlier this year for roughly $35k and apparently she didn't like the fact that she did not have one herself so last week he bought a brand new 2017 Jeep Wrangler for her. That one was at $32k, both were 6 year loans I think! Didn't need to do the math when he came around boasting about the new vehicles, I simply emailed him the link to the MMM Jeep Suicide reader case study. He wasn't amused :)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16254 on: January 01, 2017, 02:47:01 PM »
Overheard a co-worker earlier this week talking to his wife over the phone about a jeep. He bought a brand new 2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited earlier this year for roughly $35k and apparently she didn't like the fact that she did not have one herself so last week he bought a brand new 2017 Jeep Wrangler for her. That one was at $32k, both were 6 year loans I think! Didn't need to do the math when he came around boasting about the new vehicles, I simply emailed him the link to the MMM Jeep Suicide reader case study. He wasn't amused :)

Wait, so her Jeep cost $3k LESS than his did?  So not fair!  He better buy her a new, more expensive one stat ;-)

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #16255 on: January 01, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
Overheard a co-worker earlier this week talking to his wife over the phone about a jeep

The sad thing is that if you actually want to go off-roading, you're better off in something old and beat up that you don't mind abusing.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16256 on: January 01, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »
They added something to our dress code at work as well. I love leggings, but wear them as tights under a dress or long tunic, not as pants.

I saw a funny meme on FB or pinterest or somewhere that said " You know what they would call leggings if they were meant to be worn as pants? PANTS!"

Leggings accentuate. Like a bikini.

If you're attractive, leggings make that stand out even more. Amazing.

If your body is unattractive, leggings make that stand out even more. Horrible.

Like a (formal) hat for men, if you can pull it off, it's lovely; if you can't, you look like a conceited fool.

thebattlewalrus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16257 on: January 01, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Overheard a co-worker earlier this week talking to his wife over the phone about a jeep

The sad thing is that if you actually want to go off-roading, you're better off in something old and beat up that you don't mind abusing.

He had a Jeep catalog of some sort that had upgrades/accessories to buy, I didn't even bother looking through it. He was mentioning buying stuff to make it more capable. We live in Iowa, not sure how capable of a vehicle a person needs :D

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16258 on: January 01, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »
Jeep people are crazy / impressive. It is common to see a $30k jeep with $30k of upgrades.

We're talking a full mudding / water setup: upgrades to the entire driveline (sealing, stronger axles, a differently behaving [and often electronically controlled] differential, huge mud tires, etc); anti-rollover bars, snorkels, high output alternators to feed all sorts of lights and winches and other electronics, yada yada.

Most of these are pavement princesses that are occasionally used to ford six inches of water, which the fucker would be able to do bone stock anyways.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16259 on: January 01, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
Jeep people are crazy / impressive. It is common to see a $30k jeep with $30k of upgrades.

We're talking a full mudding / water setup: upgrades to the entire driveline (sealing, stronger axles, a differently behaving [and often electronically controlled] differential, huge mud tires, etc); anti-rollover bars, snorkels, high output alternators to feed all sorts of lights and winches and other electronics, yada yada.

Most of these are pavement princesses that are occasionally used to ford six inches of water, which the fucker would be able to do bone stock anyways.

They'll do twice that bone stock. I don't even think it's a reflection of any wisdom failure that I know that firsthand.

I do not get the tricking out of Jeeps. It's definitely not about performance.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16260 on: January 01, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »
Jeep people are crazy...

They'll do twice that bone stock. I don't even think it's a reflection of any wisdom failure that I know that firsthand.

An excerpt from my favourite column about Jeep, from an Aussie motoring writer:

There’s no denying they’re fit for purpose, of course, because all Jeeps come with genuine off-roady dusty DNA. They look rough and ready because they really are, as anyone who’s ever seen one master the Rubicon Trail will testify.

My favourite Jeep memory, though, is being told on a Wrangler launch by company spokesheads that, yes, they know their steering is crap, but they can’t fix it because that’s how their customers like it.

Who are these slack-jawed customers, and how did so many of them sneak into Australia?

“I bought a Jeep” is a phrase that would only be used in a mock-Yankee-doodle accent in this country not so long ago.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1405/friday-rant-you-bought-a-what

thebattlewalrus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16261 on: January 01, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »

Exactly! There was a jeep get together at a local retirement home that I volunteer at, all the residents can go look at the vehicles and they set up a dirt course to drive on. One individuals jeep was literally "worth" $100,000. No joke, he claimed the jeep was $50k base, $30k in suspension upgrades, $10k in engine modifications, about $10k in other add ons. It's a cult. I don't get it either.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16262 on: January 01, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »
Jeep people are crazy...

An excerpt from my favourite column about Jeep, from an Aussie motoring writer:

There’s no denying they’re fit for purpose, of course, because all Jeeps come with genuine off-roady dusty DNA. They look rough and ready because they really are, as anyone who’s ever seen one master the Rubicon Trail will testify.

My favourite Jeep memory, though, is being told on a Wrangler launch by company spokesheads that, yes, they know their steering is crap, but they can’t fix it because that’s how their customers like it.

Who are these slack-jawed customers, and how did so many of them sneak into Australia?

“I bought a Jeep” is a phrase that would only be used in a mock-Yankee-doodle accent in this country not so long ago.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1405/friday-rant-you-bought-a-what

Well, now, I might be a member of the cult. But you don't have to do any modifications to have a religious experience :-)

Seriously, as I've said here before, a jeep is a tool. Very few people actually need one, so I should probably be grateful for the people who use them to go out and do recreational things – it means it's possible for me to have one to do useful things  without having to pay  a specialty premium for the specialty tool that it really is.

What's supposed to be wrong with the steering, anyway? Never had any trouble out of ours. We just realized today we've had it 17 years (we bought it used).

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #16263 on: January 01, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »

Am I the only person who thinks the LulaRoe stuff is ugly as am get out? Funky printed leggings on thick thighs is not a good look.

I had to look it up but... so ugly.  Ladies, please no.  Unless it's like ironic at an 80's party.

Quit being so uptight.

The freedom to perform an action does not release one from the consequences of such action.

You made me laugh out loud and snarf carbonated beverage out through my nose. Well done.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16264 on: January 02, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »
First post. Hope this isn't a carbon copy of another story.

I used to work at the airport, and a guy came in with his daughter, who was less than ten years old. He wanted to buy something worth about $10. He told her he would use his debit card, and if there was no money on it he'd use his credit card instead. (The purchase went through, and I hope someone about to take a flight has more than $10 in their bank account, but that's really bad advice for a child.)

I know a neighbor who became disabled and on welfare. Unfortunately he was self-employed and worked under the table, so no Canada Pension Plan Disability (equivalent to Social Security disability) when he got sick. That pays a lot more than welfare. He spends all his money on potted plants (they don't last long), had his phone cut off due to non-payment, uses credit card balance transfers (instead of paying off the debt, he just treats it like more credit) and buys stuff he doesn't even know how to use. Like an expensive Windows 8 laptop I had to show him how to use. (I hate Windows 8, by the way. Basically I Googled how to make it work, and which third-party patch to use to make it look like Windows XP so I could actually navigate the thing.)

This co-worker popped up on my Facebook feed over Christmas. They purchased a new phone for one of their children and was organising to have the old phone repaired to give to another of their children.

The new phone recipient posted about it on Facebook and the second hand phone recipient commented complaining about being the least favourite child (they are an adult with a full time job). Cue the parent chiming in and announcing that they will both be receiving brand new phones.

I wonder if the kids realise the level of financial stress indulging them is putting their parents under.

Alas, that's me too. I don't need a cell phone. I don't even want one, so I didn't buy one. My mother bought me one... for "emergencies" precisely because I refused to buy one. And unfortunately she got a plan rather than a pay-as-you-go. (Considering how rarely I use the thing, $50/month is far too much. I don't give out the number as I don't want people calling me on it.) I did not ask her to buy me one, she instead bought it as a surprise, and renewed it when the contract ran out. (She also bought one for my brother, who won't even turn his on.)

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16265 on: January 03, 2017, 02:22:50 PM »
A coworker was complaining that the deductible for the family coverage on our health insurance went up by $750.  He was going on semi-seriously about how they couldn't afford to do things and he'd have to get a side job because their health expenses were so high.  I tried to be sympathetic but our premiums are dirt cheap, the out of pocket max for a family is $3750 and this dude makes six figures or damn near close.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16266 on: January 04, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
I work with a guy who's in his mid-50s and has serious money issues. I used to hear him on the phone with his wife arguing about money all the time, and then one day he started talking and couldn't stop. I think he just needed to vent.

He had gotten divorced a long time ago, no kids from that marriage, so by the time he met his new wife he had some savings and owned a house, although I don't know how much equity he had in it. He met his second wife, who has twin daughters aged around 10 at the time, and they got married. By now, the daughters are both in their 20s and going to Georgetown law school.

He tells me that he's doing a cash out refi on the house to help pay bills, at an 11.5% mortgage rate because his credit sucks. His credit cards are all maxed out (don't know the total), hence the refi. Another reason he needs the money is to pay for two apartments for the daughters while they go to school. Wait, two apartments? Yes, they can't live together because they fight all the time...

So the refi goes through, and he shows up at work with a used Volvo (he paid $5000). He asks me what I think, and I tell him it's a nice car but could get expensive if something goes wrong. A few weeks later, he finds out the AC doesn't work, so he takes it to a Volvo dealer. $1800 to fix it.
While it's in the shop, he shows up to work in an old Ford Explorer. I asked if that was his wife's car. Oh no, that's our SUV that we keep for bad weather. I told him I noticed that a headlight had burned out...he takes it to the dealer.

It was like watching a train wreck in progress, and the worst part was that he knew it was nuts. He kept saying that once the girls were done with law school everything would be fine, but I couldn't see him ever digging out of the hole he was in.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #16267 on: January 04, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »
I work with a guy who's in his mid-50s and has serious money issues. I used to hear him on the phone with his wife arguing about money all the time, and then one day he started talking and couldn't stop. I think he just needed to vent.

He had gotten divorced a long time ago, no kids from that marriage, so by the time he met his new wife he had some savings and owned a house, although I don't know how much equity he had in it. He met his second wife, who has twin daughters aged around 10 at the time, and they got married. By now, the daughters are both in their 20s and going to Georgetown law school.

He tells me that he's doing a cash out refi on the house to help pay bills, at an 11.5% mortgage rate because his credit sucks. His credit cards are all maxed out (don't know the total), hence the refi. Another reason he needs the money is to pay for two apartments for the daughters while they go to school. Wait, two apartments? Yes, they can't live together because they fight all the time...

So the refi goes through, and he shows up at work with a used Volvo (he paid $5000). He asks me what I think, and I tell him it's a nice car but could get expensive if something goes wrong. A few weeks later, he finds out the AC doesn't work, so he takes it to a Volvo dealer. $1800 to fix it.
While it's in the shop, he shows up to work in an old Ford Explorer. I asked if that was his wife's car. Oh no, that's our SUV that we keep for bad weather. I told him I noticed that a headlight had burned out...he takes it to the dealer.

It was like watching a train wreck in progress, and the worst part was that he knew it was nuts. He kept saying that once the girls were done with law school everything would be fine, but I couldn't see him ever digging out of the hole he was in.

That is as depressing as hell, I think resignation is the one of the biggest drivers of continued financial difficulty.  Sadly, I bet those 2 girls will be little better when they finally graduate.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16268 on: January 04, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »
We had a huge thread(part) on this once, and all agreed that 4WD is useless. If you drive summer tires. And 2 motorised wheels with winter tires is way better then 4WD with summer tires. And if a 2 wheel car with winter tires is "skating" then 4WD dont have any grip too.

I believe if the thread found that 4wd was useless it did not come to the correct conclusion. There are certainly situations that 4wd is not the answer to, and it's not always worth the cost upgrade, but there are real-world driving applications where a vehicle with more ground clearance and four powered wheels is quite superior to a 2wd car.
Okay, I reword this:
4WD in summer tires is useless compared to 2WD with winter tires. 4WD with winter tires is still better then 2WD with winter tires. But not much based on "normal" climates (not 6 month canadian winter with minimum 20cm snow on every street). That said, I have plowed through 20cm snow with a small car and only front drive - you just need the right tires. Most important safety part except the brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

Of course if you don't live in the frozen tundra up north, you're probably on "all-season" tires. We can't really justify winter tires here b/c of the temp swings. For example it is forecast to be sub-freezing with possible snow in a couple of days but we started out the week with 70+ degree weather. Next week's forecasts is to be rainy and high 40s. Warm weather and snow tires = accelerated wear. Correct?

So with that in mind folks here generally choose a FWD/RWD car on all-season tires, a 4WD SUV/truck on all-season tires, or an AWD vehicle with all-season tires. We drive hilly or a shady places so traction is important.

Some of us tackle enough mud or snow or even ice in a year's time that the ~1-2 mpg penalty of AWD is a worthwhile expense. It is an expense that we can certainly offset by driving less or keeping our cars longer vs trading up. The lower cost of living here also helps make up the difference.

There are more perspectives than the one from the snowy sometimes flat northern metropolitan areas.

If I was concerned with absolute efficiency I would live somewhere that I didn't need to own a car at all. Or I would choose to live somewhere warmish where I didn't face the cost of heating a home in sub-zero temperatures.

Well, we made that choice. Cheers!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16269 on: January 04, 2017, 03:00:10 PM »

Quit being so uptight.

I heard someone call these Yoga pants. Still not sure they are or aren't the same thing. Anyhow - had a shapely young woman walk through the shop area at work in yoga pants. So many of the guys took notice I was seriously worried one of them might loose a finger to a power tool.

She knew what she was doing. Everyone else knew what she was doing too.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16270 on: January 04, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
I heard someone call these Yoga pants. Still not sure they are or aren't the same thing. Anyhow - had a shapely young woman walk through the shop area at work in yoga pants. So many of the guys took notice I was seriously worried one of them might loose a finger to a power tool.

God bless her, too.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16271 on: January 04, 2017, 04:04:15 PM »

Quit being so uptight.

NO.  NO fun allowed without express authorization from the pattern police.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16272 on: January 05, 2017, 06:57:46 AM »

God bless her, too.

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16273 on: January 05, 2017, 07:04:33 AM »
5 million dollars isnt what it used to be.

nuf said on that.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16274 on: January 05, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »

God bless her, too.

Sorry. She's long gone. The yoga pants became a semi-regular thing that last year. She was here for a long time before she moved on to greener pastures. Career ambition and all that. She was sharp as a tack (smart) as my grandmother used to say.

On the topic of tires one more thing: just slow down when it snows. The guy with the snow tires might stop 20 feet sooner but if the guy with AWD/FWD and all-season tires would drop his speed 10 mph for example, he could stop 20 ft sooner too. I'd own snow tires if I lived where there was a real winter season but we just have to cope with a few snows per winter so we use our AWD/4WD and drive slower. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:36:21 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16275 on: January 05, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »

God bless her, too.

On the topic of tires one more thing: just slow down when it snows. The guy with the snow tires might stop 20 feet sooner but if the guy with AWD/FWD and all-season tires would drop his speed 10 mph for example, he could stop 20 ft sooner too. I'd own snow tires if I lived where there was a real winter season but we just have to cope with a few snows per winter so we use our AWD/4WD and drive slower.

We don't generally get a ton of snow here in Toronto, but I'd still recommend winter tires.  Our work is in the middle of a valley.  Every year we'll get at least one dumping of snow, cars will drive over the snow and pack it down to ice, and the ditches will subsequently be littered with cars that are get 3/4 of the way up the hill and then slide off to the side.

The court that I live in is one of the last streets plowed in Toronto.  If we get five inches of snow it's sometimes not possible for us to get our car to the street when we have the all-seasons on.  With winter tires?  No problem.

Then you run into the problem of other people.  You might be a great driver, but that guy who cuts you off isn't.  Winter tires mean that you have more leeway with your reaction time.  Or that black patch of ice that you hit and start spinning the car around on.

I'd never argue that you should drive recklessly in the winter, and slowing down is always a good idea when the weather's bad.  Considering the benefits that winter tires offer though (and how cheap they are), it's probably a good idea to just get some.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16276 on: January 05, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
We don't generally get a ton of snow here in Toronto, but I'd still recommend winter tires.  Our work is in the middle of a valley.  Every year we'll get at least one dumping of snow, cars will drive over the snow and pack it down to ice, and the ditches will subsequently be littered with cars that are get 3/4 of the way up the hill and then slide off to the side.

The court that I live in is one of the last streets plowed in Toronto.  If we get five inches of snow it's sometimes not possible for us to get our car to the street when we have the all-seasons on.  With winter tires?  No problem.

Then you run into the problem of other people.  You might be a great driver, but that guy who cuts you off isn't.  Winter tires mean that you have more leeway with your reaction time.  Or that black patch of ice that you hit and start spinning the car around on.

I'd never argue that you should drive recklessly in the winter, and slowing down is always a good idea when the weather's bad.  Considering the benefits that winter tires offer though (and how cheap they are), it's probably a good idea to just get some.

So dumb question; does everyone keep an extra set of rims with their winter tires as well, or do they get mounted and unmounted every year?

I know some places in Canada require winter tires during certain times of the year, no matter if there is snow on the ground or not. Motorcyclists complain because they can't ride even though the road is clear and it's nice out, or they face a ticket.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16277 on: January 05, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »

So dumb question; does everyone keep an extra set of rims with their winter tires as well, or do they get mounted and unmounted every year?

I have an extra set of wheels, yes. Makes it a lot easier. Over the life that I'll keep the car, it isn't a big expense at all.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16278 on: January 05, 2017, 02:02:07 PM »
Extra set of wheels from Ebay, winter tires, free tireswap from the tire place I got the tires/mounting service.
They are probably getting tired of swapping tires every 1.5K to 3Kmiles.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16279 on: January 05, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
We are colder here than in Toronto.  Winter tires are a given (you book the garage 2 weeks ahead minimum if you don't do your own tire change, they go on in November, off in March, good times to check the brakes and in spring do an alignment).  So much easier if they are on rims, and the winter rims are sturdier too.  It isn't that much more expensive, because your all-seasons last longer - you end up spending about the same over several years.  And getting out of your own driveway is kinda nice, my winter tires have already made the difference a few times this year and it is only January.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16280 on: January 05, 2017, 02:44:23 PM »

I know some places in Canada require winter tires during certain times of the year, no matter if there is snow on the ground or not. Motorcyclists complain because they can't ride even though the road is clear and it's nice out, or they face a ticket.

It depends. Usually anyone who has a garage springs for a set of cheap steelies (steel wheels - the cheapest kind), preferably used and from a junkyard. Even better if they're a half inch narrower.

However, I do know some people who just keep a set of tires in their garage without wheels to go along with them. Some shops actually offer to swap your tires twice a year if you bought your winter tires from them, for free, for the lifetime of those tires (in addition to ensuring they're balanced and rotated as appropriate.) So while it's a lot easier to own a spare set of steelies, if a shop offers you lifetime swaps, that reduces your impetus to make life easier for everyone with another set of wheels.

Besides which, fewer and fewer people do any work on their own car, so fewer people keep around fully mounted tires on wheels in order to be able to swap them at home - since they're not going to swap them at home anyways.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16281 on: January 05, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »

I have an extra set of wheels, yes. Makes it a lot easier. Over the life that I'll keep the car, it isn't a big expense at all.

Bit more expense for the future, as most tire pressure monitoring systems require in wheel sensors, so that adds quite a bit to the cost of each rim.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16282 on: January 05, 2017, 06:15:55 PM »

Quit being so uptight.

Leggings and yoga pants are similar but not the same.  Leggings are thinner and tighter, I'd say even more form firing than yoga pants.  Though I'd be willing to bet most men can't tell the difference. I'd say neither are work appropriate as pants. This should be obvious as yoga pants are designed for yoga but anyway....

Back to the infatuation of my coworkers with the crazy over priced lularoe...a few days ago CW confesses she bought 8 pair of LLR last week (our office was closed for the holidays). That's 200 worth. This is a CW who i know very recently had to transfer her credit card debit to an interest free card.

Edited to fix typos.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:27:57 AM by Megma »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16283 on: January 05, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
Bit more expense for the future, as most tire pressure monitoring systems require in wheel sensors, so that adds quite a bit to the cost of each rim.

My corvette's OEM TPMS sensors are $32 each. Very affordable. Also pretty straightforward to initialize - you use a big magnet, and the dashboard's built-in DIC.
My buick uses wheel speed to determine if one tire is low. A much simpler, basic system, that doesn't work nearly as well, but is "free" (because wheel speed sensors are already in place for ABS and traction control.)

However, some cars have TPMS sensors that range from $80 through $150, and some even demand dealer initialization (which you can usually DIY, but it's a big pain.) I know a guy with a Porsche of some kind who spent $1000 for the dealer to put in and initialize four new sensors.

Then there are aftermarket TPMS sensors, some of which are perfectly good, and many of which are just terrible. I recommend buying OEM.

With all of that said, nothing prevents you from simply driving without TPMS half the year... just check your tire pressure as needed. My corvette has no TPMS sensors because the previous owner didn't get them when he put bigger wheels on. I'll be buying new ones shortly since I need new tires, thankfully it's only about $140 for the entire set, but in any event, I've put thousands of miles on it with no pressure sensors and lived to tell the tale. And believe me, I abused the tires (high speed and frequent high acceleration or deceleration) much more than most people abuse their tires.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #16284 on: January 05, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »
Leggings and yoga pants are similar but not the same.  Leggings are thinner and tighter, I'd day even more firm firing than yoga pants.  Though I'd be willing to bet most men can't tell the difference. ...

I'd say most men don't care the difference.  I'd say most of the time we are looking at the form, not the materials or the patterns.

You are correct that leggings and yoga pants are not appropriate dress for work.   Apparently, however, due to the "comfort" of these outfits, they are becoming common dress for air travel.  This has gone a long way towards alleviating the pain of waiting in TSA queues and gate areas. 

crispy

« Reply #16285 on: January 05, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »

Quit being so uptight.

Leggings and yoga pants are similar but not the same.  Leggings are thinner and tighter, I'd day even more firm firing than yoga pants.  Though I'd be willing to bet most men can't tell the difference. I'd say neither are work appropriate as pants. This should be obvious as yoga pants are designed for yoga but anyway....

Back to the infatuation of my coworkers with the crazy over priced lularoe...a few days ago CW confesses she bought 8 pair of LLR last week (our office was closed for the holidays). That's 200 worth. This is a CW who i know very recently had to transfer her credit card debit to an interest free card.

Leggings can be adorable, but I had to see my chunky coworker in a pair deocarated with whales today. WHALES! 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16286 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Too on the nose, crispy?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16287 on: January 05, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »
You are correct that leggings and yoga pants are not appropriate dress for work.   Apparently, however, due to the "comfort" of these outfits, they are becoming common dress for air travel.  This has gone a long way towards alleviating the pain of waiting in TSA queues and gate areas.

Lol, too true.  :-)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16288 on: January 05, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »

I started buying winter snow tires after putting my car in the ditch one snowy day.  No ditch problems since.

The first few years, I had the shop swap them onto the rims fall and spring.  Then I realized it was a better idea to get a set of winter wheels.  I went cheap and got steel wheels.  They looked like crap, and they never balanced correctly, so last year I went back to the wheel swap.

I recently got a new(er) car, and since it is younger, I decided to upgrade the winter wheel/tire situation.  Fortunately, the old tires still have a couple of seasons in them, and they fit the new(er) car.  But since I expect to be driving this car for the next ten years at least, I went ahead and bought a decent set of aftermarket wheels.  I bought them darker to hide the winter grime, and I couldn't be happier with the look, the ride, and the ability to quickly swap them at home rather than drive to the shop and wait for them to do it.  I'd actually prefer to swap my own wheels so that I can rotate them at the same time.  It's faster to do it at home than load them up, drive to the shop, wait around, drive home, unload them.  Now if I could just get someone to make me popcorn while I swap them...

With the new(er) car, I have the joy of TPMS, and being the semi-cheapskate that I am, I decided to not buy the sensors for the new wheels.  The shop would mount the tires to the wheels, but not mount the wheels to the car.  This was fine because it saved me $250 for sensors.  BUT, now I have a constant tire pressure reminder light on my dash, and it's also keeping me from resetting the service light from the recent oil change.

But shoot, I saved $250, so well worth it.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16289 on: January 06, 2017, 12:32:41 AM »
A guy at work is just telling us he has purchased a bike for $10000 and is now trying to work out how to tell his wife. He is considering telling her he has quit smoking and he will use his smoking money to pay off the bike, but he was telling us this just after he came back from having a cigarette so not too sure how that will work out for him

He also doesnt have a licence so the shop wont let him take the bike (that he is paying for) until he gets his learners permit

$10,000 on a presumably-new bike which is about to get dropped by a learner rider? Winning.

LAMS bikes tend to have solid re-sale value because there is always a cohort of new riders who need to do their time on a 650, but he could have had reasonable learner bike for a third of that price.

yes new, on 2% interest. He didnt want a second hand one because he wouldnt have been able to get a loan for it

And doesn't he deserve a new bike as a treat for quitting smoking...? Oh, wait.

It gets worse really, since earlier this year they refinanced their mortgage to consolidate all their debts (I think they had about 50k in personal loans/ car loans/ cc debt) and by the sounds of it they will be back in the same position in another 12 months

And he has now lost his job, so I am not too sure how he will go

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16290 on: January 06, 2017, 12:51:22 AM »
Oof.  Thanks for the follow up nnls!

Guy will probably lament his bad luck.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16291 on: January 06, 2017, 01:27:29 AM »

most likely. The world was always out to get him

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16292 on: January 06, 2017, 01:29:21 AM »

Yes, I often find that when I make no preparation at all for things I know could happen that the world conspires against me. I blame Thor.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16293 on: January 06, 2017, 01:32:44 AM »

I think every person in Norway has an extra set of complete wheels. That is easiest to change twice a year, or more often if the weather is unstable in spring.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16294 on: January 06, 2017, 02:26:40 AM »

Yes, I often find that when I make no preparation at all for things I know could happen that the world conspires against me. I blame Thor.

I think every person in Norway has an extra set of complete wheels. That is easiest to change twice a year, or more often if the weather is unstable in spring.

I blame Thor for this, too.  (I couldn't help myself with those two posts being consecutive, though unrelated.)

JkOk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16295 on: January 06, 2017, 02:38:35 AM »
As a recent convert to Mustachianism, why not make my first post on the thread with 331 pages.

My colleague stated to me today that she was looking at leasing a new Lexus. She figured she needed to get rid of her (unknown type) 2012 model car that she bought new "before it loses too much money". As an accountant by trade you would think she'd have a vague idea about the pattern of depreciation for cars...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16296 on: January 06, 2017, 03:36:30 AM »
As a recent convert to Mustachianism, why not make my first post on the thread with 331 pages.

Welcome!  :)

My colleague stated to me today that she was looking at leasing a new Lexus. She figured she needed to get rid of her (unknown type) 2012 model car that she bought new "before it loses too much money". As an accountant by trade you would think she'd have a vague idea about the pattern of depreciation for cars...

How does anyone not understand cars lose their value most quickly up front?  Silly.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16297 on: January 06, 2017, 06:51:14 AM »

Thanks. An additional expense I don't factor into my car purchases.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16298 on: January 06, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »

I just, JUST (like, yesterday afternoon) had that conversation with my dad about my mom's car. ARGH. PEOPLE. THINK.

"But there's 140K KM on it, it's time to trade it in before it loses more money."

NO. You just paid it off. What you have is a depreciating asset that runs well, is well-maintained, and has no payments due on it. And is depreciating more slowly. WHY would you want to sell it now and pay MORE money on a newer asset that will depreciate faster??

You could sell it now. Or you could sell it in 2-3 years, for 2-3K less. If you sell it now, you will have 400$/month car payments, miminum. So... 2-3K extra on selling your car vs 10-14K in payments over that SAME time. EVEN IF the car needs 1-2K in maintenance over that time, keeping the car you have is STILL A BARGAIN. And given the amount mom drives (for Reasons, it makes sense, no judging), she'd be looking at a newer car in 4 years EVEN WITH A NEW ONE NOW. So you're looking at 10K total savings, minimum? KEEP THE DAMNED CAR. 

Fortunately, in this case, I work with/for my dad, and he knows what my personal finances look like vs his, AND what his company finances before/after I took over contract negotiating and billing looked like, so he's VERY inclined to listen to me as 'someone who clearly knows more than me a is working miraces I don't understand and appreciate with money'. There's something to be said for parents willing to learn from their kids.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #16299 on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »

I can't stand this!!  Whyyyy is there such pervasive misinformation out there?  My friend was talking about the same thing - time to get a new car because her boyfriend says her current one will take a big hit on depreciation once it's paid off/warranty is out.  I think the warranty thing is partially true (as in, *if* you were going to trade in your car it is much better to do it a month before the warranty than a month after) but she truly had the impression that the depreciation ramps UP as the car ages.  What?

I think I convinced her that she was misinformed -- at least I emphasized to not just to take her boyfriend's word for it (or mine) and to try to do some independent research.  She was never planning to drive until the wheels came off because she likes the new features of newer cars.   Which, okay, that's not my thing but at least it's honest and true: Buy a new car because you like new cars and you like new technology -- but please please  don't buy a new car because your old one it going to start depreciating faster!!

It irritates me as well when intelligent women just glom on to whatever the closest male says as true in regard to cars/finance/politics.  (I know nothing about cars but this particular issue is really more financial than automotive anyway).