Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253393 times)

Beaker

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7600 on: April 07, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
If you eat an odd number of calories per meal, it confounds your liver, which can only process an even numbers of calories.

+1

Don't +1 that!

If you +1 an odd number then it becomes an even number and you're sure to gain weight!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7601 on: April 07, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »
I had heard that if you eat an equal weight of dark chocolate and white chocolate they cancel each other out for a net of zero calories.  That HAS to be correct, right?  It is the only way to survive all the Easter chocolate.

If you eat an odd number of calories per meal, it confounds your liver, which can only process an even numbers of calories.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7602 on: April 07, 2015, 10:36:09 AM »
I had heard that if you eat an equal weight of dark chocolate and white chocolate they cancel each other out for a net of zero calories.  That HAS to be correct, right?  It is the only way to survive all the Easter chocolate.

This is true, but it's inherently dangerous to mix dark chocolate matter with white chocolate matter, as scientists posit that the calories are converted to pure energy, which may be released quite explosively.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7603 on: April 07, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »
Hahaha! I am currently reading from the company iPad. Executive within my department is an Ifreak and upgrades every time a new Idevice comes out. Two IPads ago, I received the old one. It is really nice, but it isn't nearly as good as my ancient laptop I have had since college. Spreadsheets being a big one. I think a lot of people would agree on this board.

iPads are terrible for creating content, in general. They're really designed more for consumption.

I'm heavily involved with the mobility program for my employer; there are a lot of specific use cases that tablets are great for, but they're just awful for general office productivity.

Not the microsoft surface! And I have/love a Surface 2 RT even though I only have the office suite and no other windows programs. True utility tablet. I didn't want a tablet shaped laptop...

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7604 on: April 07, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »
You know, we should all just train like Michael Phelps (30 hours per week) and eat 12,000 calories a day. 
When you're early retired and all that you can make the gym your full time job and either get super swole or run marathons or train for local MMA fights like you're in the UFC.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #7605 on: April 07, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »

+1

Don't +1 that!

If you +1 an odd number then it becomes an even number and you're sure to gain weight!

+2

or to be most flexible if you were off on your calories to begin with:

if (calories%%2=1){"+1"}
else {"+2"}

note: "%%" is the modulo operator, i.e. the remainder after a division.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7606 on: April 07, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
I didn't mean to imply that everyone should train hard or try and get ripped.  I just get a bit annoyed when I hear folks tell me how "lucky" I am to be in such good shape or how much time I must have to workout that they clearly do not. 

Just like how lucky I am to have a paid off house and cars.

We all know it isn't luck and it negates the actual work we put in.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7607 on: April 07, 2015, 11:01:42 AM »
I'm SOOOO happy for the last few replies.

I've said on forums before that people don't really workout.  I've also described my "marathoner" friend who runs and runs but doesn't burn anything....she is so slow that I can walk next to her.  She is morbidly obese.    No, she doesn't get points for "trying" and I am not a total b for saying that.

I was jumped on by everyone and even cussed at.  You know what, it's true.  VERY few people REALLY workout.  They don't even know what hard work is in the gym.  I watch this day in and day out.  There is a reason fat people stay fat.  I go to the gym and bust my ass everyday.  I have the muscle and physique to show for it.  I'm a female and I squat more than everyone (except this one guy who was here TDY and squatted 450 for like 15 reps...it was awesome).   yesterday was leg day, I squatted only 225 pounds but guess what I did 15 sets of reps at declining numbers....so I did 15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1   That is 120 squats.  I never see people working like that.  Oh and then I jumped on the treadmill for 3 miles and then on the bike for another 20 mins. 

My husband and I are ripped.  There are no short cuts.  You want to be thin and in shape...you can't have cheat days and eat cake and bon bons.  There is no magic to this.  burn calories and eat good food.
Well, if she is a marathoner, it really doesn't matter how fast she is going, she *is* working out.

But I've learned a lot in the last few years about "working out" and what works.  Chronic cardio (can you tell that I read Mark's Daily Apple?) really isn't the best way to lose weight long term.  But for years, that's what we've told people, so that's what they do.  And they wonder why they can't take off 10 pounds when they spend 45 minutes on the elliptical.

However, "chronic cardio" is good for your heart and your body.  I used to train for 1/2 marathons and I tell you - my legs were ripped and my heart rate/ BP was never so good.  My joints?  Not so much.  So swimming (gentle) and walking are what I do - they are good for my body (which is meant to MOVE) and mind.

I read a comment on a blog once that "exercise is the junk food of fitness".  Meaning, your body is supposed to MOVE so if your method of being fit is just a short workout here and there, it defeats the purpose.

The good thing about having 2 kids and working full time is that I just don't HAVE time.  So I turned to shorter workouts, which are apparently pretty effective.  I do at home weight training workouts, at home body-weight yoga-type workouts (PiYo), and at home interval training workouts.  (In addition to just walking and such whenever I can.)  If you do it right you are SWEATING after only 15 minutes (which is sometimes the only amount of time I have!)  Never underestimate the effectiveness of 10 minutes of burpees.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7608 on: April 07, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »
If you do it right you are SWEATING after only 15 minutes (which is sometimes the only amount of time I have!)  Never underestimate the effectiveness of 10 minutes of burpees.

Agreed! I am running a lot but that's because that is the only exercise I actually enjoy doing. I would like to lose weight, but that isn't the main motivation for exercise, for me it is relaxing and a great way to clear my mind of the outside world and remove stress. I do need to get back to doing HIIT type workouts for their fat burning properties. A workout I used to, and is great when staying at a hotel without a gym, is do to 10 burpees and then rest for 30 seconds, then 9, and work your way down to zero. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes (if that) and if you are doing them even semi-correctly, you will be sweating!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7609 on: April 07, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »
If you do it right you are SWEATING after only 15 minutes (which is sometimes the only amount of time I have!)  Never underestimate the effectiveness of 10 minutes of burpees.

Agreed! I am running a lot but that's because that is the only exercise I actually enjoy doing. I would like to lose weight, but that isn't the main motivation for exercise, for me it is relaxing and a great way to clear my mind of the outside world and remove stress. I do need to get back to doing HIIT type workouts for their fat burning properties. A workout I used to, and is great when staying at a hotel without a gym, is do to 10 burpees and then rest for 30 seconds, then 9, and work your way down to zero. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes (if that) and if you are doing them even semi-correctly, you will be sweating!

Burpees are probably the best body weight workout you can do.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #7610 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »

One legged, jumping to a one-arm pull-up, standing near a white board wearing neon clothing and knee socks in a box? I kid!

I agree burpees are legit, but damn do they hurt my joints. I actually prefer to hop into a pool wearing a 50 pound weight vest and tread water for 25 minutes. That's a rush!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7611 on: April 07, 2015, 03:29:48 PM »

This is true, but it's inherently dangerous to mix dark chocolate matter with white chocolate matter, as scientists posit that the calories are converted to pure energy, which may be released quite explosively.

Far better to eat a pound of pasta followed by a pound of antipasto; they simply cancel each other out.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7612 on: April 07, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
You guys kid, but when teaching diabetic education classes, I've encountered an astonishing number of people who think salt cancels out sugar.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7613 on: April 07, 2015, 03:42:02 PM »
You guys kid, but when teaching diabetic education classes, I've encountered an astonishing number of people who think salt cancels out sugar.

It kinda does from a culinary standpoint.  PF Chang's used to be like "is this your first time dining with us? [I never understood that question at all the chains] well this is soy sauce, which is like the salt.  This is chili oil, which is like the pepper.  This vinegar can help if the pepper is too spicy."

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7614 on: April 07, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
Okay. Tell that to your Hb A1C.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7615 on: April 07, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »
Okay. Tell that to your Hb A1C.
I hope you're better than the diabetes educator at my endo's office.  "I follow the low fat diet and my cholesterol is bad.  My dad eats anything he wants and his is good.  That's why you should follow this low fat diet".  Wait, what?

This was several years ago, but I still remember the screeeeeech! sound in my head when she said that.

My A1c bounces between 5.9 and 6.3 (and my cholesterol is fine).

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7616 on: April 07, 2015, 04:15:41 PM »
Diabetic education isn't my primary job, but surely I can do better than that nonsense.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7617 on: April 07, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
When you diet your Leptin decreases which slows down your metabolism. The cheat day ups your Leptin for 24 hours which helps with weight loss. I did not say binge eat on that day but eat more & maybe more higher calorie items then you normally would. For the people that say Google it-I suggest that you do the same so you know what you are talking about. I have now lost 30 lbs in 8 months doing this & often I go down the day after I eat more.  Exercise is also vital obviously.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #7618 on: April 07, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »

And they can tear your shoulders up...just ask me.

Love(d) doing them though.  Once did a workout to AC/DC's thunderstruck.  Every time they say tbunderstuck, you drop and do a burpee.  Never listen to that song the same again

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #7619 on: April 07, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
Sorry to interrupt... so on Monday, these two girls at work were going back and forth on who spent more the previous week. One went to to NY for work and apparently had a ton of shit shipped back. The other's hubby was upset his favorite team lost so she bought him a kegorator (with two taps).

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7620 on: April 07, 2015, 09:16:47 PM »
The other's hubby was upset his favorite team lost so she bought him a kegorator (with two taps).

Nothing wrong with that! ;-)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7621 on: April 08, 2015, 07:27:09 AM »
The other's hubby was upset his favorite team lost so she bought him a kegorator (with two taps).

Nothing wrong with that! ;-)

I was thinking the same thing!

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #7622 on: April 08, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
Sorry to interrupt...

LOL!!! This is way better than all those foamy posts!

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #7623 on: April 08, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »
RyanAtTanagra, I love your handle!

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7624 on: April 08, 2015, 09:35:54 AM »
my boss bought a new car this past weekend... because her 2013 vehicle got keyed along one door.  She bought the same vehicle only a few years newer.  this is family who just got out of a bankruptcy and finished paying everything back.  She bought it because "i never buy myself anything nice".  OMG. 

She pays for 2 kids in college and one youngster in private school.  She said she will always have a car payment because "what can you do"?  OMG.  Seriously? 

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7625 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »
my boss bought a new car this past weekend... because her 2013 vehicle got keyed along one door.  She bought the same vehicle only a few years newer.  this is family who just got out of a bankruptcy and finished paying everything back.  She bought it because "i never buy myself anything nice".  OMG. 

She pays for 2 kids in college and one youngster in private school.  She said she will always have a car payment because "what can you do"?  OMG.  Seriously?

Wait isn't a 2013 pretty new/nice? 2013?  Pfft. So last year.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:44:29 AM by Mistah Cash Lion »

r3dt4rget

• Stubble
« Reply #7626 on: April 08, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »
my boss bought a new car this past weekend... because her 2013 vehicle got keyed along one door.  She bought the same vehicle only a few years newer.
Uh oh time for an oil change. Might as well buy a new car instead of paying the $50 to get it changed at the dealer... I guess some people never learn!

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7627 on: April 08, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »

It's WAY nicer than my 2005 Honda CRV that has hail damage,  yes.  But wait...  I have money in the bank, she does not.... 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7628 on: April 08, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »

Friend just got a 2016 model year so yeah

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7629 on: April 08, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »
my boss bought a new car this past weekend... because her 2013 vehicle got keyed along one door.  She bought the same vehicle only a few years newer.
Uh oh time for an oil change. Might as well buy a new car instead of paying the $50 to get it changed at the dealer... I guess some people never learn!

Way, way upthread I posted about a coworker who replaced the car because the battery failed. "It only gets worse when your car starts having problems!"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7630 on: April 08, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »

Way, way upthread I posted about a coworker who replaced the car because the battery failed. "It only gets worse when your car starts having problems!"

Wouldn't it be amusing if she keyed her door to have an excuse of trading in for a nicer car. I know someone that has dropped their laptop to justify buying a new one.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7631 on: April 08, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
The justifications were making me cringe.  When i started my job, she was going over the "good" benefits and talked about the 401k.  She said, we have one, i don't know much about it though because I don't use it.  She's early 50's.  It's very motivating for me though, i WON'T be like that :)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7632 on: April 08, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »

;-)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7633 on: April 08, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
She's early 50's.  It's very motivating for me though, i WON'T be like that :)

Yeah, in my showroom in Chicago I see a ton of people in their 50's that are doing what I'm doing, and it is a good motivator for me. I don't want to wind up like them, but do value learning from their experience in our industry. I have also noticed that while I will just grab something like Chipotle for dinner, they will be talking up going out for a nice Italian meal.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7634 on: April 08, 2015, 02:22:16 PM »

;-)

Good times! Just like shaka, when the walls fell!

countdown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7635 on: April 08, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
Talking to people at work about the fund lineup in the 401(k) plan and mentioned that we have some real stinkers. I pointed specifically to one with a total expense of 2.5% -I kid you not. To which, the Finance Director responded that he invests in that fund. I held it together and said, "oh?" and he doubled down by telling me (from his wisdom) that you don't pick a fund based on fees, because a good fund will have higher fees and will still earns higher total returns. He specifically said one of his reasons for investing in this fund is that it's "highly managed". Then he told me that it has performed very well for him. I checked, and this highly managed awfulness has managed to underperform the market on a 1-, 5-, and 10-year basis. Ouch ouch ouch.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7636 on: April 08, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »
Once did a workout to AC/DC's thunderstruck.  Every time they say tbunderstuck, you drop and do a burpee.  Never listen to that song the same again

There's also a thunderstruck drinking game.

When you hear the word thunder, you start drinking. When you hear it again, you stop, and the next person in the circle starts.

Friend just got a 2016 model year so yeah

They already have 2016 models in April? I'm very curious which car. I thought they usually start going on sale around the end of the year, in the fall or later.

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7637 on: April 08, 2015, 06:36:59 PM »
Talking to people at work about the fund lineup in the 401(k) plan and mentioned that we have some real stinkers. I pointed specifically to one with a total expense of 2.5% -I kid you not. To which, the Finance Director responded that he invests in that fund. I held it together and said, "oh?" and he doubled down by telling me (from his wisdom) that you don't pick a fund based on fees, because a good fund will have higher fees and will still earns higher total returns. He specifically said one of his reasons for investing in this fund is that it's "highly managed". Then he told me that it has performed very well for him. I checked, and this highly managed awfulness has managed to underperform the market on a 1-, 5-, and 10-year basis. Ouch ouch ouch.

Oh brother. Don't pick a fund based on one of the most important factors...SMH  Maybe you can shed some light?

It was close to lunch time the other day at work and one of my coworkers told me he was waiting for the checks to be ready so he could buy lunch because he had 'like zero dollars to my name'.  Yikes.

I would venture to say that out of the 8 other people I work with there may be one other person who brings their lunch to work on a regular basis.  Everyone else gets in their car to pick something up somewhere.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #7638 on: April 08, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
    I had lunch today with four of my former co-workers, two of whom are retired like me.  We got talking about other people, past and present, at the old salt mine. One of them mentioned two people who had refused to contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan because "they didn't trust the government".  They are out now and primarily getting by on...wait for it....Social Security.  One of my fellow retirees mentioned he's waiting until 70 to make withdrawals, the other didn't say anything about her finances but was trying to get me to join her and her husband on a July cruise.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7639 on: April 08, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »

Highly managed = fund manager who lacks direction.  He isn't willing to actually commit when he buys things and second guesses himself a lot.  Oh, and also expensive, horribly tax inefficient, etc.

If he cares about performance show him this...
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/article/fund-performance-022015

Just scroll straight down to the graph halfway down the page.  93% outperform AND they are cheap.  Your finance director's head will explode.... and then maybe he will be open to switching. :)

I once had a manager who invest 100% of his 401k in the company stock... and this was a finance related job.  He should have known better.  He bragged once that the stock did go up 22%.  I pointed out the S&P was up 24% for the same time period, and that since it went up 22% right now was probably a great time to diversify.  I don't know if he ever changed, but the funny part was he was really pessimistic about the company and thought it was going in the wrong direction.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7640 on: April 09, 2015, 04:06:37 AM »
I didn't mean to imply that everyone should train hard or try and get ripped.  I just get a bit annoyed when I hear folks tell me how "lucky" I am to be in such good shape or how much time I must have to workout that they clearly do not. 

Warning.
Humblebrag alert.

Gockie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7641 on: April 09, 2015, 05:31:20 AM »
My work colleague told me today when she's on holidays she and her husband and son has to go back to India for a minimum of 4 weeks, about every second year. So far, so good. Them she tells me they have to spend all their time there visiting relatives. Then give all the relatives gifts. Apparently the gifts costs something in the order of 15k. Whatttt?...

Ps. Her son just started school, he's five, but needs everything. Asks for everything. She's thinking of buying him an iPhone5 or 6, and everytime she goes to the shops it sounds like he asks for something and she can rarely say no. Omg..... I'd be saying no.

Anyway, they are out looking to buy a home.... Sydney is very challenging atm...

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7642 on: April 09, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »

Warning.
Humblebrag alert.

hahaha   A paid off house is NOT AT ALL a humblebrag on this forum.  I'm 40 and I work for the man full time.  That's actually rather low performance in this neck of the woods.

A humblebrag would be....."just turned 12 and hit FI.  Need to reign in my spending so I can FIRE before I'm 15 years old.  Living in a cardboard box and all but still have three bicycles.  should sell at least two of these useless assets."

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:00:30 AM by Giro »

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7643 on: April 09, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »
My favorite that I personally overheard at work -- over 10 years ago now, but I can remember it like yesterday --

This was in late December or early January, after busting my ass all year long for slightly-below-market pay:

Boss: we can't pay much in bonuses this year, since the company didn't do that well this year.  (Turns, exits building, drives away in brand new Suburban that he just bought.)

Boss's wife - shortly afterwards also shows up at building in new, expensive car.

Clean Shaven: gives notice and quits about 2 months later, after spending that time job searching. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7644 on: April 09, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »
My favorite that I personally overheard at work -- over 10 years ago now, but I can remember it like yesterday --

This was in late December or early January, after busting my ass all year long for slightly-below-market pay:

Boss: we can't pay much in bonuses this year, since the company didn't do that well this year.  (Turns, exits building, drives away in brand new Suburban that he just bought.)

Boss's wife - shortly afterwards also shows up at building in new, expensive car.

Clean Shaven: gives notice and quits about 2 months later, after spending that time job searching.

I'm sure he was leasing them!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7645 on: April 09, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
My work colleague told me today when she's on holidays she and her husband and son has to go back to India for a minimum of 4 weeks, about every second year. So far, so good. Them she tells me they have to spend all their time there visiting relatives. Then give all the relatives gifts. Apparently the gifts costs something in the order of 15k. Whatttt?...

Ps. Her son just started school, he's five, but needs everything. Asks for everything. She's thinking of buying him an iPhone5 or 6, and everytime she goes to the shops it sounds like he asks for something and she can rarely say no. Omg..... I'd be saying no.

Anyway, they are out looking to buy a home.... Sydney is very challenging atm...
We go to India every two years but use our credit card points to pay for tickets. And the max we've spent on gifts is $300 (chocolates, nuts, toys for kids, that sort of things). I can't imagine spending 15k every two years... They are enabling that behavior among relatives.

Sadly, the entire time visiting relatives is true :(

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7646 on: April 09, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »

We go to India every two years but use our credit card points to pay for tickets. And the max we've spent on gifts is $300 (chocolates, nuts, toys for kids, that sort of things). I can't imagine spending 15k every two years... They are enabling that behavior among relatives.

Sadly, the entire time visiting relatives is true :(

I know that my mom gets stressed each time she goes back home. She'll of course ask if anyone wants anything from America, and in the past decades there have been reasonable requests, but the last few times someone asked for Ipads and the like, which my mom declined to do. They sell Ipads in India, in reality it was someone wanting it as a "gift."

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #7647 on: April 09, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »
A coworker of mine makes a combined household income of $60k with her spouse.  She buys 4 packs of cigarettes each day on her way home for her husband and herself, costing $24 each day.  I showed her that she's eating up 15% of her household income in just cigarettes.  Addiction scares me.

She often complains about not being able to get ahead or save any money, but fellow coworkers and I have suggested alternatives to some of her problems.  Unfortunately her response is that she's fine with things the way they are.  Why complain, then?  What purpose does it serve to voice your problems if you are not looking for solutions?  I'd like to know if anyone has insight into the psychology behind it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:46:44 PM by Grid »

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7648 on: April 09, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »
She buys 4 packs of cigarettes each day on her way home for her husband and herself, costing $24 each day. 

This kind of short-sightedness is a bad symptom. She could at least buy cartons instead? I knew someone who did things like that, always buying just the minimum amount of something even though it was more costly per unit and in terms of time.

I think it could have something to do with paying as little as possible now, even though it costs more overall. This also implies a very high subjective rate of time preference - $1 tomorrow is worth much less than $1 today.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7649 on: April 09, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »

I think it could have something to do with paying as little as possible now, even though it costs more overall. This also implies a very high subjective rate of time preference - $1 tomorrow is worth much less than $1 today.

What is this, the Weimar Republic? I suppose we should all order two pints at a time, cause the second one might cost more by the time we finish the first one.