Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252960 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #8250 on: May 19, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »
I've gone out for hot pot before and like it.  I think it would be too hard to do at home.
I've never  gone out for fondue because it seems so expensive (and we don't have a place here)- but it is pretty expensive to make at home too if you get good quality cheeses (and you need a lot of pots if you want cheese, oil, and dessert).  But I think it would be beneficial, if people wanted different cheese mixtures, to not have to buy and make ALL of that.

The thing that gets me is the 'grill your own steak' places.  I fail to see how that differentiates from grilling at home.  But I know people WHO love it.  It's like a steakhouse, but they let you cook your own steak.  um, What? 
I guess it saves you from having to make side dishes?  The idea baffles me.

Ghzbani

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8251 on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:29 AM »
Different kind of crazy: I had a co-worker who inherited a condo in NYC, plus a bunch of money.  I mean millions of dollars.  She worked this miserable job and always working extra OT.  One day I went to borrow a pen from her and what did i see in her drawer?  Probably $40,000 worth of uncashed paychecks.  She said she was "saving them for a rainy day".  Far as I know, she died saving for a rainy day.  Good frugality IQ, terrible quality of life filter.

Uhm, Is that allowed? I was under the impression that checks went bad after a specific time, ("stale" I think is the word our payroll uses). Additionally, I know alot of companies set up specific accounts to do paychecks out of. Won't there be a delay when she tries to cash those all at once since the bank will probably want to double-check with the issuer due to their size and age?

Kind of defeats the point of a rainy-day fund if she has to wait for the checks to clear, doesn't it?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8252 on: May 19, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »
Different kind of crazy: I had a co-worker who inherited a condo in NYC, plus a bunch of money.  I mean millions of dollars.  She worked this miserable job and always working extra OT.  One day I went to borrow a pen from her and what did i see in her drawer?  Probably $40,000 worth of uncashed paychecks.  She said she was "saving them for a rainy day".  Far as I know, she died saving for a rainy day.  Good frugality IQ, terrible quality of life filter.

Uhm, Is that allowed? I was under the impression that checks went bad after a specific time, ("stale" I think is the word our payroll uses). Additionally, I know alot of companies set up specific accounts to do paychecks out of. Won't there be a delay when she tries to cash those all at once since the bank will probably want to double-check with the issuer due to their size and age?

Kind of defeats the point of a rainy-day fund if she has to wait for the checks to clear, doesn't it?

Also, what's the harm in cashing them and keeping them in your bank for that rainy day? You wouldn't get much interest, if any, but at least the money is yours and if under 250k, FDIC protected.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8253 on: May 19, 2015, 09:17:16 AM »
It is just a complete misunderstanding of how money works.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8254 on: May 19, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »
The thing that gets me is the 'grill your own steak' places.  I fail to see how that differentiates from grilling at home.  But I know people WHO love it.  It's like a steakhouse, but they let you cook your own steak.  um, What? 

Never heard of this concept, is it just a normal steak that they provide to you to grill?

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8255 on: May 19, 2015, 09:56:41 AM »

Never heard of this concept, is it just a normal steak that they provide to you to grill?

Hate those places....if I wanted too cook I'd stay home!!!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8256 on: May 19, 2015, 10:11:23 AM »

Just normal steak I would think (never went in, because the idea is ridiculous).  Is there any other type (I mean without getting into like Kobe beef or something)? I think anything a restaurant can get a good butcher could get. They do take care of trimming it.

http://www.theopenflame.com/?page_id=3
Add $3 if you want them to grill it.
Though there are apparently some places that don't have that option, based on this blog post: http://www.foodfightradio.com/claire-ification-cook-your-own-steak-restaurants/

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8257 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:53 AM »

Just normal steak I would think (never went in, because the idea is ridiculous).  Is there any other type (I mean without getting into like Kobe beef or something)? I think anything a restaurant can get a good butcher could get. They do take care of trimming it.

Though there are apparently some places that don't have that option, based on this blog post: http://www.foodfightradio.com/claire-ification-cook-your-own-steak-restaurants/

So let me get this strait.  You goto a restaurant, pay them more for a steak, and grill it yourself.  That is a brilliant business model. No overhead as far as cooks go.

Crazy to think people do this. Buy a steak grill it yourself at home and save some money... OMG

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8258 on: May 19, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »

Oh gosh, my old quilting group loved our local "cook your own steak" place and wanted to go annually.  Seriously, if I wanted to cook my own steak, I would stay home and cook my own steak!! If I am going out, I want someone else cooking my steak!!

I like hot pot.  My good friend is Chinese, and she's had us over for it for New Year's a couple of times.  No idea how hard it is.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #8259 on: May 19, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »

I've never been, and probably will never go to such a place. I imagine the appeal to some people is somewhat nicer cuts of steak than a supermarket and not having to clean off the grill afterwards.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8260 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »

I've never been, and probably will never go to such a place. I imagine the appeal to some people is somewhat nicer cuts of steak than a supermarket and not having to clean off the grill afterwards.

cleaning the grill?  My grill cleaning consists of rubbing it with a wire brush for like 10 seconds once it's hot.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8261 on: May 19, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »

cleaning the grill?  My grill cleaning consists of rubbing it with a wire brush for like 10 seconds once it's hot.

Looked it up and appears to be a concept that is growing.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/17/garden/steakhouses-that-let-you-cook-as-well-as-pay.html

This isn't something for me, but I can see some of the appeal. I'm not a fan of grilling and generally prefer other dishes over steak, but for someone that enjoys both I can see them enjoying this.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8262 on: May 19, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »
I could see taking someone there as a gift...say Father's Day?

If the dad really likes to grill for everyone, but then doesn't have to clean the grill, prepare things, etc.

(He may like that part too, but it could work for some people.)

In general though I wouldn't do this style for just steaks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #8263 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »

But that's like TEN SECONDS OF RUBBING

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8264 on: May 19, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »

...that's what she said.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8265 on: May 19, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »

...that's what she said.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8266 on: May 19, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »

Oh gosh, my old quilting group loved our local "cook your own steak" place and wanted to go annually.  Seriously, if I wanted to cook my own steak, I would stay home and cook my own steak!! If I am going out, I want someone else cooking my steak!!

I like hot pot.  My good friend is Chinese, and she's had us over for it for New Year's a couple of times.  No idea how hard it is.

I have yet to have homemade hotpot that beats restaurant hotpot; nothing has ever even come close.

Hotpot is one of those things I would gladly pay for to have at a restaurant.

That and Pho...mmmm...delicious.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8267 on: May 19, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
I have yet to have homemade hotpot that beats restaurant hotpot; nothing has ever even come close.

And ramen.  Moving from Ohio to SF, when friends told me I had to try ramen I'd always say 'like those packets of noodles I used to buy in college for 16 cents?'.  Then I finally went to a real ramen restaurant and holy crap, that is now my favorite restaurant to go to here.  But making real ramen broth at home is quite the process.  I'd like to try it sometime, but I know it'll be a long time before I can come close to a good restaurant.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #8268 on: May 19, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »

And ramen.  Moving from Ohio to SF, when friends told me I had to try ramen I'd always say 'like those packets of noodles I used to buy in college for 16 cents?'.  Then I finally went to a real ramen restaurant and holy crap, that is now my favorite restaurant to go to here.  But making real ramen broth at home is quite the process.  I'd like to try it sometime, but I know it'll be a long time before I can come close to a good restaurant.

There's a guy in Japantown SF that makes his own noodles on a practically archaic noodle making machine in that sits in the window.  It's impressive.  Very tasty.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8269 on: May 19, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »

There's a guy in Japantown SF that makes his own noodles on a practically archaic noodle making machine in that sits in the window.  It's impressive.  Very tasty.

Yeah I was amazed the first time I tried proper ramen. My cousin ordered it at a Japanese restaurant we were at and I was like, "Why not order sushi since you can always make ramen at home," he smiled and offered me a bite when it came and I was silenced...

Apostrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8270 on: May 19, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
A co-worker explained to me yesterday that he had to buy two cars for his two kids yesterday - because you can't just buy one, you have to get one for each of them. But the bank was able to do a signature loan for $10k for him, so he was able to pay cash for the cars.

Huh. Maybe buying with cash doesn't mean the same thing to everybody?

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8271 on: May 19, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
A co-worker explained to me yesterday that he had to buy two cars for his two kids yesterday - because you can't just buy one, you have to get one for each of them. But the bank was able to do a signature loan for $10k for him, so he was able to pay cash for the cars.

You mean you have to pay signature loans back?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8272 on: May 19, 2015, 01:38:53 PM »
Maybe buying with cash doesn't mean the same thing to everybody?

I had a first-time customer that placed an order and called in to confirm it and pay it with a credit card and wanted a discount because, "I am paying with cash." My office manager told me he burst out laughing and told the guy to learn what the term means. The customer basically meant that he wasn't asking for terms and so he wanted a discount...he ended up paying full price and later we negotiated a 1% discount on future orders if he prepaid in actually cash.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8273 on: May 19, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »

Maybe he meant he didn't have liens against the titles... So much still wrong here though...

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8274 on: May 19, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »

You mean you have to pay loans back?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8275 on: May 19, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »

You mean you have to pay loans back?

Bankruptcy for everyone!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8276 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
Reposession for everyone :(

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8277 on: May 19, 2015, 05:58:50 PM »

Agreed. Not worth the effort unless you plan on making a huge quantity of stock and freezing it...but even then, the trade-off just doesn't make sense.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8278 on: May 19, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »
Today was the CTO's birthday. His executive assistant ordered a cake from Magnolia Bakery. I think it was probably a 12 or 14 inch round cake--not large at all. She said it cost $80!!!!! I know it was probably the company's money and not hers but holy shit who pays $80 for a fucking cake???

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8279 on: May 19, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
Today was the CTO's birthday. His executive assistant ordered a cake from Magnolia Bakery. I think it was probably a 12 or 14 inch round cake--not large at all. She said it cost $80!!!!! I know it was probably the company's money and not hers but holy shit who pays $80 for a fucking cake???

Corporate expense accounts apparently.  Do fancy bakery employees make more than Dunkin Donuts empoyees?  $80 might actually be the true cost of a custom cake made for you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8280 on: May 19, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »
I don't really like hot pot, but the times I've gone it's been pretty inexpensive and all you can eat.  Basically don't eat for a few days and fill up.  It could be frugal as long as you don't fill up on veggies/broth/whatever.  THATS HOW THEY GET YOU

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #8281 on: May 19, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »

Thirty years ago I read the biography of George Washington Carver. Even as a little kid, I was fairly mustachian. His life story was fascinating, but what stuck with me the longest was the fact that he never cashed his paychecks. Just laid them, one on top of another, in his desk drawer...week after week. Eventually, The Tuskegee Institute where he was employed would call and remind him to cash them before they expired. At that point, he usually signed them over to needy people instead of using the money for himself. Pretty amazing.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #8282 on: May 19, 2015, 07:01:33 PM »

If the dad really likes to grill for everyone, but then doesn't have to clean the grill, prepare things, etc.

Study: Average Father Thinks About Sealing In Meat’s Juices 4 To 5 Hours A Day

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8283 on: May 19, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »

So let me get this strait.  You goto a restaurant, pay them more for a steak, and grill it yourself.  That is a brilliant business model. No overhead as far as cooks go.

Crazy to think people do this. Buy a steak grill it yourself at home and save some money... OMG

I've never heard of the grill your own steak places. Do you have to leave a tip in these kinds of places? I guess someone has to bring the plate and raw steak over to you after all.

The best part of going out for steak vs. at home steak is that I've never mastered the skill of making my own medium rare steaks. Restaurants seem to do this well. Other than that, grilling a steak is easy. Count me out of the grill-your-own-steak-and-pay-restaurant-prices club.

I'm also anti-fondue places. Once, I went to a fondue place on the top of a ski mountain for dinner because that's what my friends wanted. It cost $50 per person! And I am cooking my food and smelling like fried stuff afterwards! For that, i'll stay home. Now, this was $50 in the 90s and in a prime location on top of a mountain so I'm guessing the price for that dinner is higher these days. I'm also not a cheese eater so fondue loses its charm on me. Luckily, I've been able to deflect any fondue restaurant invitations since then.

Never heard of hot pots. They sound interesting. I've been to Korean BBQ and I guess I can see SOME benefit to that with the spices they provide.

I much prefer having people cook for me if I am already spending restaurant level prices for food. I haven't found these cook-your-own-meal places to be any cheaper than regular restaurants.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:15:06 PM by Daisy »

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #8284 on: May 19, 2015, 07:13:17 PM »

I got a flyer the other day from one of the vent cleaning places- They will clean your Dad's grill for just $35!  ( this counts I work from home.)

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #8285 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

This is actually the most common form of saving for blue collar workers.  Can't spend what isn't in your bank account (or more accurately what you haven't already cashed in at the check cashing store).  Stick a few paychecks under the mattress and then bust them out at Christmas to pay for your shipping / vacation.
Source: Corporate Treasury Management course in college

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8286 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »
If we're still talking about cook your own whatever, here's what I've tried, and my opinions of it.

Hot Pot. How it works:

You get a table, in the middle of the table is a big pot or two; the pots are often divided into reasonably water-tight sections. Each section of each pot has broth in it that you choose. For example, you can choose spicy beef broth and chicken broth - that's why you can get the pot divided so the broths don't mix, and why you can get multiple pots, depending on how many people are at the table. The broths have vegetables and whatever.

Next, they bring you a "menu" (since it's all-you-can-eat, it's basically a checklist) of various things, or you go to a buffet-style table of various things. Usually thinly sliced meats, vegetables, misc stuff like eggs, and more fun stuff like octopus or whatever. You select what you want, the bring it over, you drop it in the water until you decide it's done, you eat it. If you're still hungry, repeat and get new things until you're not. You generally get to try the entire menu, depending on how adventurous you are.

If you know how to make the broth at home, easy... it's called making soup. If you don't, it's not easy at all. Takes time and effort to make the broth base properly. And of course you would eat it as soup at home, and not a hot pot where you cook the stuff then fish it back out to eat.

Fondue. How it works:

They bring over melted cheese or chocolate, put it on a little pedestal with a flame to keep it hot and melted, and various things to dip into it. Dip. Eat. Repeat until you've finished your food. It's not really a you-cook-it deal, more like a you-dip-it deal. Easy to do at home, and much cheaper, but fun.

Korean BBQ with one of those hot plates in the middle. How it works:

You get a table, in the middle of the table is a propane burner (or natural gas or whatever), on top of that is a big seasoned cast iron grate. Generally, it's a lot like hot pot - menu, or buffet-style table - but the food is different. You usually get much thicker slabs of food (whereas hotpot slices to ~1mm, you're looking more at ~5-8mm probably) because you're cooking on a much hotter surface. The food is usually meat, seafood, vegetables; pre-seasoned and marinated. You get what you want, slap it on your thing, wait until you think it's done, and eat it. If you know how to make korean-style meat, it's trivial to do at home. If not, it's quite hard.

Cook your own steak type places. How it works:

You usually order off a menu, select your protein and your sides. They cook the sides, bring them over with the uncooked protein, and some sort of cooking apparatus (could be a super hot slab of rock, could be some sort of grill.) You cook the protein to your desired level of done-ness. Depending on the setup, you may find that instead of putting the food on, cooking it, taking it off, cutting and eating it, you instead cut, cook small pieces, and eat right off the cooking thing. It works pretty well. Of course, these tend to be pretty western-style dishes so if you know how to cook western-style food, it's much easier to do it at home. The key is to go to a butcher or fish-monger to get proper meat/fish instead of cheap grocery store cuts. To their defense, though, if you always find restaurant steak not cooked to your tastes, well, this gives you perfect control over doneness.

TLDR the more foreign (to you) the cooking style, the more it makes sense to go to one of these places. The better you can cook it yourself, the less sense it makes.

(This is also why I almost never order stuff like pasta dishes or burgers when I go out. I can make it myself, why pay 4x-10x + tip as much?)

I have been to all of these places and I am not exactly yearning to go back. Then again, I don't eat out terribly often either, I'm just reasonably adventurous.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, all-you-can-eat sushi (with a proper menu and fresh fish, these are hit or miss) is probably my favorite type of restaurant if they do it right. Again, not often, but once in a while... fuck yes.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8287 on: May 19, 2015, 09:17:08 PM »
Gimp, you need to try the real hotspot/kbbq/sushi, not the North American stuff you're describing.

It's all so delicious.

Anomalous

• Stubble
« Reply #8288 on: May 19, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
Hot pot is one of my favorite things to eat in China. Never tried it in the US though. Do the US restaurants make you fish all the cooked bits out of the communal pot using chop sticks? There's great entertainment value in watching the clumsy American (me) try to grab various bits out of the boiling stock with chop sticks.

I've always assumed that the Chinese-style meals where you pick food out of communal dishes would be some kind of health code violation in the US. I've never been to authentic Chinese restaurants in the US though (never lived in a city big enough to have any.)

mickeyj

• Stubble
« Reply #8289 on: May 19, 2015, 11:37:47 PM »
I love hotpot!

In Singapore, there are many hotpot and bbq (and even those with combinations of both) restaurants with various styles. You can have it in Chinese, Korean, Japanese and even Thai style. They are ala carte versions where you pay for what you order, and buffet versions where you pay a fixed amount ($20-$40) and you can eat all you want.

They are all super delicious! The Chinese style have herbal and sichuan spicy soup base while Thai Mookatas has a basic chicken soup base and a unique bbq pot design where all the juice from the bbq meat would drip into the soup making it more tasty over time.

The problem here is that while I love eating hotpot, it's quite expensive and I tend to overeat so I only do it when there's a special occasion or gatherings with friends and family.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #8290 on: May 20, 2015, 07:18:52 AM »
Fondue. How it works:

They bring over melted cheese or chocolate, put it on a little pedestal with a flame to keep it hot and melted, and various things to dip into it. Dip. Eat. Repeat until you've finished your food. It's not really a you-cook-it deal, more like a you-dip-it deal. Easy to do at home, and much cheaper, but fun.
You've never had broth or oil fondue? That's what we do (at home) every year for Christmas and it's definitely you-cook-it: raw pork, chicken, steak, and cut up vegetables that you cook and eat. It's not dipping strawberries in chocolate or broccoli in cheese, which are more like a party thing and less like fondue. It's killer with broth or oil, you should try it sometime.

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #8291 on: May 20, 2015, 09:10:17 AM »
Hot pot is one of my favorite things to eat in China. Never tried it in the US though. Do the US restaurants make you fish all the cooked bits out of the communal pot using chop sticks? There's great entertainment value in watching the clumsy American (me) try to grab various bits out of the boiling stock with chop sticks.

I've always assumed that the Chinese-style meals where you pick food out of communal dishes would be some kind of health code violation in the US. I've never been to authentic Chinese restaurants in the US though (never lived in a city big enough to have any.)

I've actually put down a fork before to use chopsticks because its easier to eat with them. I think Hotpot is one of those times. Picking up small items seems easier with them.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8292 on: May 20, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »

My sister made the wedding cakes for my other sister's wedding earlier this year.  I think she was over $80 in ingredients alone.

Then again, the same one "professionally" done would apparently have been ~$800.  O.O

It was probably the best cake I've ever eaten.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8293 on: May 20, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »

My sister made the wedding cakes for my other sister's wedding earlier this year.  I think she was over $80 in ingredients alone.

Then again, the same one "professionally" done would apparently have been ~$800.  O.O

It was probably the best cake I've ever eaten.

Who pays $80 when Costco sells delicious cake for $17!! Seriously their round chocolate layer cake is so good, it probably serves 30 people because it is so rich you can cut the pieces really small.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8294 on: May 20, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
Who pays $80 when Costco sells delicious cake for $17!! Seriously their round chocolate layer cake is so good, it probably serves 30 people because it is so rich you can cut the pieces really small.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8295 on: May 20, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »

This is actually the most common form of saving for blue collar workers.  Can't spend what isn't in your bank account (or more accurately what you haven't already cashed in at the check cashing store).  Stick a few paychecks under the mattress and then bust them out at Christmas to pay for your shipping / vacation.
Source: Corporate Treasury Management course in college

well that won't work too well anymore. Who actually gets physical paychecks anymore? Isn't it all direct deposit at this point?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8296 on: May 20, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »
well that won't work too well anymore. Who actually gets physical paychecks anymore? Isn't it all direct deposit at this point?

My company won't do direct deposit because it costs extra money.  I don't really understand why it costs more money to have dd though, it doesn't make any sense.  Some how issuing physical checks to everyone, and having everyone physically cash those checks is all totally free, but dd would cost an extra fee for each person on the payroll.  It's madness.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8297 on: May 20, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »

My company won't do direct deposit because it costs extra money.  I don't really understand why it costs more money to have dd though, it doesn't make any sense.  Some how issuing physical checks to everyone, and having everyone physically cash those checks is all totally free, but dd would cost an extra fee for each person on the payroll.  It's madness.
What? That is madness. So printing checks and putting them in envelopes, and mailing to any remote offices cost less than doing account transfers? How? Last I checked my bank charged zero to do a transfer..

If someone wanted to pay me with a piece of paper I have to cash every time I'd be pissed.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8298 on: May 20, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »

I used to work for a company like this too. On payday, the paymaster would walk around the office and personally hand each employee a live check. Then, everyone would take a break and walk to the bank.

There were about 200 employees. Each person spent about half an hour of paid company time. So I estimate 100 person/hours each pay cycle was dedicated to depositing checks. I'm not sure what the company would have spent on DD, but surely it couldn't have been as much as it was spending on live checks.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8299 on: May 20, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »

What? That is madness. So printing checks and putting them in envelopes, and mailing to any remote offices cost less than doing account transfers? How? Last I checked my bank charged zero to do a transfer..

If someone wanted to pay me with a piece of paper I have to cash every time I'd be pissed.

Well they don't have to mail any out, it's all distributed by hand in our only office.  But yea, it's madness.  I think it's just the banks trying to capitalize on a service you want and are willing to pay for despite making it easier and cheaper for them.  Kind of like ticketmaster charging me a convenience fee to purchase tickets through their automated system and print them out myself.   You have an unmanned, automated system that exists on the internet...it's the cheapest and most efficient form of ticket sales possible, you require no infrastructure and minimal employees, and yet you are charging me extra for using this service that is obviously superior to any other way you could distribute tickets.  AND you have the balls to charge me an additional fee to print it out myself, even though it saves you the hassle and expense of doing it?! It's totally bonkers.  Straight greed.