Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 8881168 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20200 on: May 22, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
"Don Periwig"
"Krustal"

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #20201 on: May 22, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »
Veuve Click-out

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20202 on: May 22, 2018, 10:52:07 PM »
I'm in China. You could totally get away with serving bottles of Dum Pregnant and Were Quacko. Actually, based on what I see on Taobao (Chinese eBay), some people don't even change the labels -- $35 LV bag, anyone? ;)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20203 on: May 23, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »
My young coworker, who I thought was very frugal: "I am saving 5% of my income into an index fund, as my additional pension."

This is good, of course, but it is not an impressive %. I kept quiet and didn't mention my 75%.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #20204 on: May 23, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
My spendy pants co-worker wants a Chanel-belt. Why? Can't you use a regular belt or is your waist really that special? Do you regularly flush money down the toilet? (please don't tell me if you do)

She also cannot ride her bike to work because it is not far away enough. She goes on 50 km rides during the weekend as exercise which I think is fine but why would you not get any benefit from riding 18 km x2 a day? Even if she would only go twice a week she would double the time she spends cycling a week on her expensive bike. She also refuses to use their bike trolley so she cannot go on rides with her son. Sure, it is not as fun riding when you use a trolley (I know since I use one almost daily) but why not do it just to spend time with your son and not count it as exercise? Well, what do I know with my old 7 speed bike and 10 year old double bike trolley... I just don't get why they got a fancy super light new bike trolley if it is just going to be used by her husband occasionally.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #20205 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
My young coworker, who I thought was very frugal: "I am saving 5% of my income into an index fund, as my additional pension."

This is good, of course, but it is not an impressive %. I kept quiet and didn't mention my 75%.

Don't keep quiet - give your coworker some praise & encouragement! No need to tout your 75%, but that coworker is taking their first steps which is always the hardest part. Encourage them to keep going!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20206 on: May 23, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »

Don't keep quiet - give your coworker some praise & encouragement! No need to tout your 75%, but that coworker is taking their first steps which is always the hardest part. Encourage them to keep going!

This doesn't have to mean that's she's spending the full other 95%. Maybe she's saving it up in a savings account or for a house down-payment.

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20207 on: May 23, 2018, 12:21:08 PM »
75% is pretty remarkable, good job! But real people will think you're a freak if you share that kind of savings-rate with them (they won't realize it includes payments towards mortgage principal).

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #20208 on: May 23, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
My spendy pants co-worker wants a Chanel-belt. Why? Can't you use a regular belt or is your waist really that special? Do you regularly flush money down the toilet? (please don't tell me if you do)

Have you seen her waist?  Of course it's that special and deserves the best credit can buy!

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #20209 on: May 23, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »

Have you seen her waist?  Of course it's that special and deserves the best credit can buy!

Oh I am sure she will get that belt but my main suspicion is that she will get her dad to buy it for her as a gift. He is well off and can afford it but I find it a bit distasteful for a 30+ woman to beg or manipulate her dad into buying something. She is an only child and have probably never heard no when it comes to things ever. Her dad built her an ice-skating rink in their yard, sure she liked skating and it was "only" an outdoor one but it was not just "make a patch of ice" but a real one roughly half the size of a hockey rink with real sides and such.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #20210 on: May 23, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
Even better with a little background.  I can hear her begging now, "But Daddy, don't you love me anymore?"

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20211 on: May 24, 2018, 12:31:52 AM »

This doesn't have to mean that's she's spending the full other 95%. Maybe she's saving it up in a savings account or for a house down-payment.

This is a male colleague who told me last year that he and his girlfriend had been saving up a lot of $$ to use as their down-payment for buying a place. When I was impressed by the amount he wanted to spend on his first house/apartment, he told me they had been very good at saving. Then I took him apart afterwards and told him about the concept of early retirement and that I am working towards it and only needed a few more years. I told him that if he continues to save well, that he might he able to become financially independent and retire early. He got the message then.

Therefore, this time, I didn't tell him again, as I don't want to be preaching. I also didn't tell him I wasn't impressed by the 5%. There were others around the table and I just let them talk.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20212 on: May 24, 2018, 12:36:04 AM »
75% is pretty remarkable, good job! But real people will think you're a freak if you share that kind of savings-rate with them (they won't realize it includes payments towards mortgage principal).

Which mortgage??

Yes, I understand I might appear as a freak anywhere apart from on this forum. But if you have 2 high incomes and no mortgage or rent to pay, it is very difficult not to save at least 50% or your income. We have been doing that for ages after we paid down our low mortgage many years ago. And last year was very cheap without big repairs of any kind, normally our savings rate is a bit lower. I think I once mentioned my 2016 rate of 60% to another frugal colleague. She was impressed.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20213 on: May 25, 2018, 01:48:07 AM »
Senior employee ten days after payday: "I've only got ฃ20 left from my last paycheck."

Also senior employee: "I would be able to do my job better if I had an ID and password to get into the wages. I need to be able to do the wages in case something happens to [other senior employee, whose job it is], and I need to be able to look at the wages sometimes because the staff come to me with queries. And I can't understand why [other senior employee] took back the job of paying all the accounts when I used to do it. Do you think she doesn't trust me? Will you speak to her about it?"

I've got a nasty suspicious mind, and I've seen skimming in my line of work before. I raked out and scrutinised all the bank statements from the period in which this employee was paying the accounts. There was nothing of concern, but someone who spends conspicuously on beauty treatments, clothes, and meals out and thinks tearing through their monthly paycheck in the first ten days of the month is nothing to be ashamed of isn't getting near the business accounts on my watch.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20214 on: May 25, 2018, 03:42:00 AM »
There's two new people in my office since 1-2 weeks. Today was payday and one told me relieved that her money had hit her account as she's almost ran out. She has just moved over here and told me how her move had cost $3000 on rent/deposit/new furniture! She then said that her savings to begin with had only been about $3500 so that there had only been $500 left for the remainder of the month.

She also proudly told me that she's set up a $200 transfer to her savings account each month though, so at least she's not completely irresponsibly living paycheck to paycheck. When she asked me if did the same, I told her I did, but that I also didn't have many issues saving so that it wasn't a big deal for me. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20215 on: May 25, 2018, 06:54:40 AM »
There's two new people in my office since 1-2 weeks. Today was payday and one told me relieved that her money had hit her account as she's almost ran out. She has just moved over here and told me how her move had cost $3000 on rent/deposit/new furniture! She then said that her savings to begin with had only been about $3500 so that there had only been $500 left for the remainder of the month.

She also proudly told me that she's set up a $200 transfer to her savings account each month though, so at least she's not completely irresponsibly living paycheck to paycheck. When she asked me if did the same, I told her I did, but that I also didn't have many issues saving so that it wasn't a big deal for me.

I don't understand how this is anti-mmm unless you left more details out. 

Is she 22yo or 55yo?

At 22yo, if I remember correctly, about $600 in my savings account. Being poor and not having any clue about savings/investing/budgeting can really fuck you over.

Did she move across the country or two blocks over?

When young and without any financial support from your parents, making a big move can put a hurting on your finances - specially if you're just starting out.

What's her current income - $1500/$3k/$5k monthly?

Saving $200 a month seems to be a good starting point for a new employee. I have a few coworkers who are -$200 each week after paying/buying the crap they do. They just keep adding to their CC balances.

Seems a bit harsh on the "looking down at people" category.

I think she meant spending 3000 on furniture when you only have 3500 in your savings? Of course, it depends on how much money is tied up in the first month of rent and the deposit, but in every college town you can get barely used Ikea furniture for nearly free.

Automatic transfers to a savings account are great though. I always tell everyone to set it up and forget about it - that's the only preaching I do all the time. (I'm willing to go in more detail, if people ask)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20216 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »

Is she 22yo or 55yo?

At 22yo, if I remember correctly, about $600 in my savings account. Being poor and not having any clue about savings/investing/budgeting can really fuck you over.

When young and without any financial support from your parents, making a big move can put a hurting on your finances - specially if you're just starting out.

Saving $200 a month seems to be a good starting point for a new employee. I have a few coworkers who are -$200 each week after paying/buying the crap they do. They just keep adding to their CC balances.

I think she meant spending 3000 on furniture when you only have 3500 in your savings? Of course, it depends on how much money is tied up in the first month of rent and the deposit, but in every college town you can get barely used Ikea furniture for nearly free.

Automatic transfers to a savings account are great though. I always tell everyone to set it up and forget about it - that's the only preaching I do all the time. (I'm willing to go in more detail, if people ask)

That was my main point indeed! For comparison; I did a similar move (different side of the country, similar distance, 0 furniture to start with) half a year ago and it cost me <$1000.

I wasn't trying to bitch over her amount of savings and I actually think the $200/month transfer is a great thing. She's just moved to a new place and started a new job so she probably also has to figure out how her expenses will turn out here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:27:18 AM by Hirondelle »

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20217 on: May 25, 2018, 07:48:19 AM »

Is she 22yo or 55yo?

That was my main point indeed! For comparison; I did a similar move (different side of the country, similar distance, 0 furniture to start with) half a year ago and it cost me <$1000.

I wasn't trying to bitch over her amount of savings and I actually think the $200/month transfer is a great thing. She's just moved to a new place and started a new job so she probably also has to figure out how her expenses will turn out here.
Coworker didn't say she spent $3k on new furniture, she said she spent $3k on rent/deposits/furniture. This doesn't seem crazy to me. I remember my first apartment, I had to pay first and last upfront and give deposits to all the utility companies to set up service. It added up quickly, even with buying furniture at thrift stores. There are ways to make moving cheap, but they aren't always available to everyone.

AMandM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20218 on: May 28, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
A colleague of my husband's occasionally goes to a Washington Nationals game (pro baseball). Coworker noticed the same youngish guy sitting a few rows ahead of him each time. Got to chatting with him, turns out he's a season ticket holder and sees every game. Unlike many people in the DC area, he grew up here, and it's been his team since he was a kid.

He lives in Utah.

He flies in for every home stand.

At least he stays at his brother's place, not in a hotel. Even so, all told, he spends about $50k a year to see the Nats play. Significantly more than the median US income.

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20219 on: May 29, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »
Somehow we ended up discussing a particular designer bag.

Me: But taking into account you salary, you'll have to work for 2 weeks to pay for just one bag!

two people said it was perfectly fine. One is renting a horrible place (28 yo); the other lives with his parents at 23.

the first girl also mentioned that her clothes budget per month is 5 times her food budget. And that she has 0 savings and usually lives paycheck to paycheck.

Needless to say, we are educated white-collar workers.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #20220 on: May 29, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
Coworker didn't say she spent $3k on new furniture, she said she spent $3k on rent/deposits/furniture. This doesn't seem crazy to me. I remember my first apartment, I had to pay first and last upfront and give deposits to all the utility companies to set up service. It added up quickly, even with buying furniture at thrift stores. There are ways to make moving cheap, but they aren't always available to everyone.

Thank you, I read that number and didn't think it was "extravagant" at all. I recently moved as well and I had to pay the security deposit and the first month's rent at the same time -- this alone cost me almost $3000. A Uhaul for one weekend also cost me over $600(!!). So without even buying a single piece of toilet paper I've spent over $3000. Moving is expensive, and to the poster above who was able to move for <$1000 consider yourself fortunate because it does not work out that way for everyone.

bluebelle

• Stubble
« Reply #20221 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
Somehow we ended up discussing a particular designer bag.

Me: But taking into account you salary, you'll have to work for 2 weeks to pay for just one bag!

two people said it was perfectly fine. One is renting a horrible place (28 yo); the other lives with his parents at 23.

the first girl also mentioned that her clothes budget per month is 5 times her food budget. And that she has 0 savings and usually lives paycheck to paycheck.

Needless to say, we are educated white-collar workers.
wow...so assuming her food budget is $200, she thinks spending $1000 a month on clothes is 'okay'?

I've never understood designer purses.  I understand buying good quality leather over crap, but one desinger's bags look like bowling ball bags to me (big bulky leather things) and another one looks like diaper bags to me (quilted and flowery)

penguintroopers

• Stubble
« Reply #20222 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

Thank you, I read that number and didn't think it was "extravagant" at all. I recently moved as well and I had to pay the security deposit and the first month's rent at the same time -- this alone cost me almost $3000. A Uhaul for one weekend also cost me over $600(!!). So without even buying a single piece of toilet paper I've spent over $3000. Moving is expensive, and to the poster above who was able to move for <$1000 consider yourself fortunate because it does not work out that way for everyone.

In my area, rent for a bare minimum 1 bedroom/studio is $700, and to move in first/last/1 mo security is the norm. So $2100, just to get the key to a place. What is more typical is a 1 bedroom at $850-1200, or $2550-$3600. Haven't even physically moved a single item into the new place, so there's still the trailer/truck, and movers if you spring for them.

Now, $3k on just furniture? Yea, little out there, especially if it was all at once for just a handful of items. $3k on your total home, over a period of careful purchasing and curating for your wants? I could see that being reasonable as well.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20223 on: May 30, 2018, 01:26:31 AM »
We moved last year and probably spent ฃ3000 on paint and furnitureand curtains. We had basically nothing and had to furnish a whole house at once. The only things we bought new were appliances and a mattress. I made all the curtains myself. But it adds up!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20224 on: May 30, 2018, 05:44:03 AM »

In my area, rent for a bare minimum 1 bedroom/studio is $700, and to move in first/last/1 mo security is the norm. So $2100, just to get the key to a place. What is more typical is a 1 bedroom at $850-1200, or $2550-$3600. Haven't even physically moved a single item into the new place, so there's still the trailer/truck, and movers if you spring for them.

Now, $3k on just furniture? Yea, little out there, especially if it was all at once for just a handful of items. $3k on your total home, over a period of careful purchasing and curating for your wants? I could see that being reasonable as well.

I never tried to say that spending $3k on a move is always outrageous/extravagant. I never actually said that. All I meant was that if you have only €3500 of savings, in THAT situation, spending almost all of that on moving isn't a very wise thing to do. I might've framed it poorly by first mentioning the amount of $$ spent on the move and only then starting about the savings.

Now I didn't mention the COL; so to provide some more background:
- Her rent is €500-550 for a small studio apartment (carpeted, so no paint needed). Normal is to pay 1m deposit + 1st month. So that's €1100.
- Renting a van can be done for <€100 (for me it was €70), let's add another €150 on gas (was 90 in my case).

So that's another €1750 left that's probably been spend on furniture.

The reason I compared it to my own numbers was because I'm in literally the same situation (same job, same salary, same age, same distance of move, SINK etc.) so to me it sounded high due to 1. I did it for less than half and 2. She almost used all of her savings for it which isn't something I'd risk if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20225 on: May 30, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
In the break room today I got to talking with someone who saw me preparing my morning oatmeal (fancy! With lots of frozen cherries and berries and peanut butter).

“I’m switching to Starbucks oatmeal from their breakfast sandwiches.”

Me: “oh, but oatmeal is so easy to do yourself.”

“Well, i am at Starbucks for my morning coffee so I switch from the breakfast sandwich to oatmeal. It is better for the health, you know.”

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20226 on: May 30, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
In the break room today I got to talking with someone who saw me preparing my morning oatmeal (fancy! With lots of frozen cherries and berries and peanut butter).

“Well, i am at Starbucks for my morning coffee so I switch from the breakfast sandwich to oatmeal. It is better for the health, you know.”
Gah... nothing quite like paying $4.99 for one serving some damn oats.

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20227 on: May 31, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
Not overheard but direct conversation.

Co-worker is finally moving into the house they bought due to transferring to the office.  (after 6 months of searching, renovating and living with family). They got their household goods last week.  Apparently a lot of furniture is being sent to the "barn" (garage) because they needed new things for the new house.

eav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20228 on: May 31, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
One day payroll delay today- expected to get paid tomorrow. Of course everyone is losing it in the office sending emails to HR about having "bills to pay" as if HR can do anything about the delay. I'm sitting here in disbelief that a one day delay would have such an impact on people's lives...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20229 on: May 31, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
One day payroll delay today- expected to get paid tomorrow. Of course everyone is losing it in the office sending emails to HR about having "bills to pay" as if HR can do anything about the delay. I'm sitting here in disbelief that a one day delay would have such an impact on people's lives...

Yup, and now just imagine how they would react to being fired or laid off.

Or if they to pay off an urgent medical bill or house repair (like AC unit needing to get replaced, just happened to me). How many of them could casually write a check to get it replaced?

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20230 on: May 31, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
...or car maintenance?  How could they have possibly predicted they would need new tires after only driving 50k miles on old tires with 50k mi worth of tread left?

Lynda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20231 on: May 31, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
Or if gas prices go up a nickel they "can't afford to go on a summer vacation". They interview that guy on the news every time gas prices wobble at all.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #20232 on: May 31, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
A colleague of my husband's occasionally goes to a Washington Nationals game (pro baseball). Coworker noticed the same youngish guy sitting a few rows ahead of him each time. Got to chatting with him, turns out he's a season ticket holder and sees every game. Unlike many people in the DC area, he grew up here, and it's been his team since he was a kid.

He lives in Utah.

He flies in for every home stand.

At least he stays at his brother's place, not in a hotel. Even so, all told, he spends about $50k a year to see the Nats play. Significantly more than the median US income.

They've only been in DC since 2005!  Did he grow up partly in Montreal?  Or is he 22?

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20233 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »
Co-worker (er, volunteer) at the thrift store today says she's always cold at home in the summer because her husband insists on setting the A/C to 71(!)  I asked how low he set it in the winter.  75!  What the...

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20234 on: June 01, 2018, 08:03:11 AM »
Co-worker (er, volunteer) at the thrift store today says she's always cold at home in the summer because her husband insists on setting the A/C to 71(!)  I asked how low he set it in the winter.  75!  What the...

Not work-related, but had friends say they set the a/c/ at 66 overnight in the summers.

We're more of a 75 in the summers / 65 in the winters (we'll actually go down to like 61-62 overnight in the winters).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20235 on: June 01, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »

Not work-related, but had friends say they set the a/c/ at 66 overnight in the summers.

We're more of a 75 in the summers / 65 in the winters (we'll actually go down to like 61-62 overnight in the winters).

The Boy has many fine frugal qualities but he was setting his heat at like 73 degrees and his AC at basically the same. He made a big joke about being cold when I, umm, shamed him on it and he reduced the heat to 70.

Our new apartment lacks central AC (wall units only, one per floor), which I imagine will be an adjustment for him!

Swish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20236 on: June 01, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
CW: Hey you know about investing stuff right?
Me: A little I guess.
CW: how is this mutual fund I have $10k in doing.
Me: well you invested $10k in 2010 and it is now 2018 so I'd say it is not doing very well.
CW: That is what I thought but I didn't lose any money so that is good.
Me: Well actually you lost money to inflation so there is that.
CW: But I didn't loose any money money right?
Me: No the dollar amount is virtually the same but the value is different now. You could have thrown it into an index fund and performed better over the years.
CW: Like the S&P 500? I want to invest in that can you show me how to do that? I don't really need the money anyways.

*Help the guy set up account, transfer the funds and buy a mix of stock and bond index funds.*
*made mistake of going on vacation for a week*

CW: What the heck man?
Me : oh whats that?
CW: I lost $86 on that investment last week. Thats like a days wages.
Me: (*Thought to myself you make +80k per year...*)
Me: On a 10k investment that is a pretty small change.
CW: Its ok man I cannot take risks like that this is my retirement savings.
Me: I thought you said you didn't need the money?
CW: Ya, Not right now. I am not buying a car or anything this month.
Me: (*it is clear now why you are in your 50's and have only $10k savings*)
CW: I sold everything and put it into something called gold CD's. I read an article on FB that when Donald Trump starts nuclear war gold will be worth a lot.
Me: oh ok well I am glad you got it all figured. Sorry you lost $86 and some fees. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20237 on: June 01, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
Me: well you invested $10k in 2010 and it is now 2018 so I'd say it is not doing very well.
Me: No the dollar amount is virtually the same but the value is different now. You could have thrown it into an index fund and performed better over the years.
CW: Like the S&P 500? I want to invest in that can you show me how to do that? I don't really need the money anyways.

*Help the guy set up account, transfer the funds and buy a mix of stock and bond index funds.*

CW: I sold everything and put it into something called gold CD's. I read an article on FB that when Donald Trump starts nuclear war gold will be worth a lot.
Me: oh ok well I am glad you got it all figured. Sorry you lost $86 and some fees.

Painful to read.

Swish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20238 on: June 01, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
This is a joke right?
Nuclear war? Gold?

I wish it was. I am not creative enough to make this shit up.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
    • The Fake Cheap
« Reply #20239 on: June 01, 2018, 06:06:40 PM »
My city has these household cleanup days twice a year where you can put just about anything at the curb, and it will be picked up by the city.  It is very common to see people stopping at each house's pile of junk to see if there is anything of value there or anything that can be used for parts, etc.

So I overheard a co worker of mone saying how his friend takes this junk day off work each year, because he loves to see what he can find for free.  But "it must be a waste of money because he drives his truck around all day with a trailer attached and that burns a crap ton of gas doing that".  The kicker is that the guy saying this drives a large truck, about 50KM round trip each day, but yet, doesn't seem to realize how much gas he is wasting every...single...day. 

MustacheBeginner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20240 on: June 02, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »

Thank you that is exactly what I want to read here :)
Just wow...

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20241 on: June 02, 2018, 06:08:20 PM »

Just wow...

Did CW really say"something called gold CD's" or was that a confusion/paraphrase from Swish?

Perhaps .......
???https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_compact_disc
1st google hit for gold CD

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #20242 on: June 04, 2018, 12:31:30 AM »

Just wow...

Did CW really say"something called gold CD's" or was that a confusion/paraphrase from Swish?

Perhaps .......
He probably meant CFDs, which is, if you think about it, extra stupid because it combines the low returns of gold investments with the crisis vulnerability of bank bonds.

Swish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20243 on: June 04, 2018, 08:24:06 AM »

Just wow...

Perhaps .......

Lawl he might have been further off buying compact discs. He is set up on QT so I assume he just bought a CFD like barbaz mentioned. 

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #20244 on: June 04, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »

Just wow...

Perhaps .......
He probably meant CFDs, which is, if you think about it, extra stupid because it combines the low returns of gold investments with the crisis vulnerability of bank bonds.

At least it is traded in USD instead of something worthless like physical gold ;P

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20245 on: June 04, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

At least it is traded in USD instead of something worthless like physical gold ;P

You can't eat gold. That's why I have all my investments in chicken bouillon.

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20246 on: June 04, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »

You can't eat gold. That's why I have all my investments in chicken bouillon.

Chicken bullion? precious chicken.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #20247 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »

That is so SF Bay. I have work acquaintances that spend $25 per day on coffee plus drinks and breakfast for the kids at Starbucks. $ adds up quickly.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20248 on: June 04, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »
One from last week:

I have a co-worker who is often scraping by, barely able to make ends meet, who makes the worst financial decisions. Past gems have included: courtside seats at an NBA game last year for her wife's birthday (to make memories...sadly her wife has alzheimers so it's horrible but she's probably not going to remember it), maintaining two vehicles, both with bad gas mileage (and possibly payments still?) even though her wife will never drive again, getting so hammered out at bars that she got into a fight or got assaulted or something but wasn't sure about the details because she blacked out, two expensive, high maintenance dogs with "doggy day care" on a regular basis (even though there is someone home during the day, she sends the dogs to "doggy day care" often because "they like it"), etc. The latest? $3000 on front row seats to see Pink in concert, plus t-shirt (because what's a t-shirt on top of $3000 I suppose). It's so painful to watch because prior to the diagnosis her wife was the "responsible" one and would at least keep their finances in marginal shape. Now it's a total shit-show, but she's not particularly open to advice.

cloudsail

• Bristles
« Reply #20249 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »

OMG, this is for real???