Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253090 times)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #10400 on: September 13, 2015, 12:54:45 PM »
I wish they'd find a different way to fund schools - something more universal than property tax.  There's just got to be a better way.
Have children assembling iPhones
School uniforms with sponsor's logos
Start student loans early
Close all schools and import future scientists and engineers from China

jordanread

« Reply #10401 on: September 13, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
I wish they'd find a different way to fund schools - something more universal than property tax.  There's just got to be a better way.
[...]

Don't we already do that? I mean, they aren't american...but still. (Just being facetious, I actually LOL'd at that).

Personally, I like the idea of public charter schools.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10402 on: September 13, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »
Also, does your walker friend want the people she deals with, at her bank, insurance company, brokerage, utilities, and law enforcement office to be literate and able to work with numbers?  What about the people who run the local nuclear power plant, and the people who fly the planes?  The people who designed and put together her car?  The people who designed her electrical system?  Does she want them to be able to read, write, and think, or does she want people who've never had any schooling to do those things?  'Cause we could probably outsource those to some people in India or Africa, in parts where they have no free public schooling, to do all those things.  Or hey!  We could just not fund our schools!  Does it advantage her in any way to have educated people doing all the things that make her life easier, by any chance?

This shouldn't-have-to-pay mentality is running rampant these days and is taking apart our community and democracy.  The real way to decide you shouldn't have to pay is to elect officials who will look into defunding what you don't approve of funding.  The bad way is to try to assign everyone different costs instead of pitching in together.  So people who never leave town wouldn't pay anything toward the national highway system.  (Except wait, do they use any goods delivered from afar?)  People who never go out at night wouldn't pay toward the streetlights.  People who don't care about the air they breathe wouldn't pay toward clean air enforcement.  People who don't eat out wouldn't pay towards restaurant cleanliness enforcement.  People who own their own houses wouldn't pay towards the enforcement of tenants' or landlords' rights.  And so on.  Everything would be funded in a minimal, scattershot way.  There are a number of third-world countries already effectively on this system.  Maybe people who favor this should go see how well it's working there.

jordanread

« Reply #10403 on: September 13, 2015, 02:15:34 PM »
Also, does your walker friend want the people she deals with, at her bank, insurance company, brokerage, utilities, and law enforcement office to be literate and able to work with numbers?  What about the people who run the local nuclear power plant, and the people who fly the planes?  The people who designed and put together her car?  The people who designed her electrical system?  Does she want them to be able to read, write, and think, or does she want people who've never had any schooling to do those things?  'Cause we could probably outsource those to some people in India or Africa, in parts where they have no free public schooling, to do all those things.  Or hey!  We could just not fund our schools!  Does it advantage her in any way to have educated people doing all the things that make her life easier, by any chance?

This shouldn't-have-to-pay mentality is running rampant these days and is taking apart our community and democracy.  The real way to decide you shouldn't have to pay is to elect officials who will look into defunding what you don't approve of funding.  The bad way is to try to assign everyone different costs instead of pitching in together.  So people who never leave town wouldn't pay anything toward the national highway system.  (Except wait, do they use any goods delivered from afar?)  People who never go out at night wouldn't pay toward the streetlights.  People who don't care about the air they breathe wouldn't pay toward clean air enforcement.  People who don't eat out wouldn't pay towards restaurant cleanliness enforcement.  People who own their own houses wouldn't pay towards the enforcement of tenants' or landlords' rights.  And so on.  Everything would be funded in a minimal, scattershot way.  There are a number of third-world countries already effectively on this system.  Maybe people who favor this should go see how well it's working there.

Good points overall. I am almost done contributing to this foam, but based on the research I've done, thinking isn't a huge part of the public education. Reading and literacy though, that is the biggest benefit I've seen, and it's damn near priceless.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10404 on: September 13, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »

And only criminals would fund police departments.  What could go wrong?!

jordanread

« Reply #10405 on: September 13, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »

And only criminals would fund police departments.  What could go wrong?!

As both a criminal and an upstanding member of society (yeah it can happen), I sure as shit wouldn't fund the police. The Sheriff's...maybe. But I've yet to have an instance where the police have been at all useful.

Dammit! Stupid foam. Someone make another topic about police and the like :). I'm way too jaded to do it.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #10406 on: September 13, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »
I hear people talk about boats down here all the time.  I always thought of boats of nothing more than money pits, but the people I work with seem to be bonkers over them.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10407 on: September 13, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
Hmm, maybe I wasn't clear.  I am all for public funding of public schools.

I was thinking more along the lines of funding school systems equitably.  At least here in Texas, there's drawbacks to property tax funding - dense urban areas get more funding, rural schools less, there's a Robin Hood redistribution....large companies have ridiculously low property valuations and skate on their share of taxes.  IMHO, stupidly complex and broken.
Maybe base funding into a federal, state, or sales tax?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10408 on: September 13, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »
I hear people talk about boats down here all the time.  I always thought of boats of nothing more than money pits, but the people I work with seem to be bonkers over them.

They are huge money pits, but if you have friends that have them, there's no reason you can't enjoy it. If you do get invited, I would recommend bringing something to share.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10409 on: September 13, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »
Property tax is fairly universal.  Even if you don't own a home, the person you rent from pays prop tax.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10410 on: September 13, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
This doesn't quite fit this thread, but I had to post it somewhere. My gf and I overheard this conversation the other day; someone was talking about a person who lives off the grid: "He has solar panels under power lines, and they absorb power from the lines so he's off the grid and selling their energy back to them."

I'm not sure it works that way. :P

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10411 on: September 13, 2015, 04:10:37 PM »
Overheard on the way to work. Not antimustachian, but funny so what the hell. So two ladies on the street were walking kinda slowly so I only heard part of the conversation. One said to the other: "When I say the dicks were out. The. Dicks. Were. Out!" Someone had an orgy that weekend (it was on a Monday)!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10412 on: September 13, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »
Co-worker has a girlfriend who is a student (and doesn't have a job) She seems like a total mooch but I met her recently and found out
- he spend $17,000 on vet bills for her horse. Yes seventeen thousand dollars... like WTF?
- the she had a fight with him about their last holiday to Europe where he suggested they might stay in a hostel. WTF? If someone was bank rolling my Euro trip for me I sure as hell wouldn't be complaining about their accommodation choices.
Nice guy but he is behaving like a chump!

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10413 on: September 13, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
and they absorb power from the lines so he's off the grid and selling their energy back to them."

I think that was Enron's whole business model

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10414 on: September 13, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
I'm in the market for a new phone (my current phone is in bad shape) and since I plan to buy a used phone I've been looking at other people's phones and asking questions about their experiences. We set aside $200 in the budget for this back in January. However, if I want to go over budget for a fancy pants phone (tech is my weakness) I need to cover the rest from my personal allowance.

I explained all this to one of my co-workers who asked why I didn't just order one of the new iPhone 6s phones and be done.

He said, "But Metta, you and your husband have money. Why do you have to talk about purchases with him at all? Just buy it and tell him after the fact. If I had enough money to retire, I would never discuss purchases with my wife."

Other co-worker: "Yeah, I'd come home one day with a boat and no questions asked or answered."

Both men laughed.

I just looked at them, speechless. My husband and I discuss all purchases above about $25 except those we cover from our allowance (usually books, games, perfume). Financial transparency seems foundational to relationships to me.

That kinda sounds like the "why do you have to work out?  you're already fit." line of reasoning.  Metta, I'd imagine your family's financial health is a direct result of your skill and effort in managing finances.  These fellas are missing that.

Pretty much! That is one of the puzzling things I hear. But these are the same people who cannot save money and I suspect that a structure that allows one person to buy a boat (or an iPhone) without discussing it first is part of the reason why. (Of course if both people are naturally very frugal, this probably doesn't apply. But I'm guessing that the truly frugal would not make that sort of comment. They would probably say instead, "Do you really need such a fancy pants phone? Can't you get by with a flip phone like I do?")

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10415 on: September 14, 2015, 06:36:35 AM »
Quote from: NumberCruncher on Today at 07:16:24 AM

Quote from: tanzee on Today at 05:46:55 AM

I once had a co-worker who I liked and respected. But he had this massive, brand-new, extended cab pickup.  We would drive to job sites in it and he would blast the AC with the windows down on 85 degree days (not that hot, as far as I'm concerned).  Then he would complain about the price of filling his tank and his car payment.  Definitely had to bite my tongue on that one.  He was a really good guy, but we definitely had different values systems.  Luckily, I was able to have a conversation with him once where I explained the dangers of buying individual stocks, versus buying index funds.  He seemed really receptive, which I was pretty excited about.

But...why??? Why would anyone blast the A/C with the windows down???

I've actually heard people say that it's because the A/C in a vehicle works just as hard whether the windows are up or down. It doesn't shut off when it reaches a certain temp. It's ridiculous, but some people like to have "fresh air" with their cool air.

I guess that's true if you don't have an automatic system, and you're too lazy to adjust the AC as needed (i.e., turn it down when the cabin is cool).  But most AC systems DO use outside air anyways -- only the "MAX AC" setting sets the air to recirculate in the cabin.  Always thought that was a waste, so I usually mannualy set recirculation if I'm running the AC

Foam alert, but I had to chime in.  Except for when you first get in a super hot (interior) car, you should always run on recirculate.  The pressure in the car's AC system is very high when it is trying to cool hot and moist outside air.  Why not give it some help by recirculating the dryer and cooler air that is inside the car?  Lower pressure in the system uses less energy, and allows your system to last longer.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10416 on: September 14, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »

Just think if people had the option to opt out of SS how many would do it?

I would in a heartbeat.  I have a condition that puts my expected life span at around 60, so the only return that I can expect is survivorship for my wife, and I know that I could replicate that benefit rather easy.

So, what happens if you get disabled before you die?  Do you have minor children?

Also, there are ways to opt out of SS.  You have to do the legwork but you can.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10417 on: September 14, 2015, 07:59:51 AM »
Property tax is fairly universal.  Even if you don't own a home, the person you rent from pays prop tax.

But property tax is not at all even, between states or even within states.  Which is why some schools have way better funding than others.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #10418 on: September 14, 2015, 08:17:55 AM »
and they absorb power from the lines so he's off the grid and selling their energy back to them."

I think that was Enron's whole business model

+2001

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10419 on: September 14, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »

I drive my convertible with the top down and the A/C blasting all the time.  You get a cool breeze on your face and arms, and especially at stoplights, etc, when you don't have the wind blowing on you.  You'd be surprised at how much of a difference it really makes. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10420 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:41 AM »
Quote from: tanzee on Today at 05:46:55 AM

I once had a co-worker who I liked and respected. But he had this massive, brand-new, extended cab pickup.  We would drive to job sites in it and he would blast the AC with the windows down on 85 degree days (not that hot, as far as I'm concerned).  Then he would complain about the price of filling his tank and his car payment.  Definitely had to bite my tongue on that one.  He was a really good guy, but we definitely had different values systems.  Luckily, I was able to have a conversation with him once where I explained the dangers of buying individual stocks, versus buying index funds.  He seemed really receptive, which I was pretty excited about.

I have a co-worker who has a very nice late model RAM 1500 Laramie. His wife, who doesn't work, sits in it and lets it idle, or drives around on base going to Dunkin Donuts in gym clothes, multiple trips daily. Meanwhile, CW complains that the gee-dunk assorted nuts packets cost too much at $1. Then he asked me for a $10 loan to buy lunch from the BBQ truck. I said NO. He said $9.50. Shook my head. $8.40. Told him I wasn't going to bargain to loan him money. I told him that stop letting your wife idle the truck most of the day but he didn't get it.

I walked to the bank the other day and had to go through an office parking lot. In the back, empty part, next to a wooded lot, there was one lone truck, running. I caught a quick glance through the window and saw a body (!) but then I realized it was someone taking a nap with the truck running, during their lunch hour. The truck was still running when I left the bank.

If people just stop iddling their car/truck/SUV when stopped for more than 5 minutes, the barrel price would drop to 20$ in no time. Even more if everyone would just use their car in an efficient way. I have always been aware of driving the least I can but after reading this blog, when drive like 25% less/year and then save 150 gallon of fuel every year with no impact on our lifestyle level.

In reality, an idling car uses, on average, about .15 gal of gas per hour of idling.  It's really not a big deal. 

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #10421 on: September 14, 2015, 09:46:36 AM »

I drive my convertible with the top down and the A/C blasting all the time.  You get a cool breeze on your face and arms, and especially at stoplights, etc, when you don't have the wind blowing on you.  You'd be surprised at how much of a difference it really makes.

Chris22, sometimes I see your posts and I think "troll?".

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10422 on: September 14, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
This doesn't quite fit this thread, but I had to post it somewhere. My gf and I overheard this conversation the other day; someone was talking about a person who lives off the grid: "He has solar panels under power lines, and they absorb power from the lines so he's off the grid and selling their energy back to them."

Quite contrary, the power lines would create shadows, reducing the effective quite a bit (because of how the panels are build even partial shadowing will in most cases result in the same as full shadow, the "lowest" cell in the block defines how much energy you produce.)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10423 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »

It's sincere. Quite honestly, the hit for running A/C is very minimal, and further, I only drive that car a few thousand miles a year, so we're not talking about a big number here.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10424 on: September 14, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »

I do too. But not this one--as someone who drove a convertible year round, if it wasn't raining I had the top down pretty much from April through November in Chicago/Bloomington IL, as long as the temp was above about 33--the top didn't like to work below that--and below 97ish. I used AC, heat, gloves, iced towels--whatever to stay comfortable. You better believe AC+top down is a great thing. Usually only used at stop lights though, like he said.

Between November and April I had a hardtop on, so it only came off for spectacular weather at that point.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #10425 on: September 14, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »

It's sincere. Quite honestly, the hit for running A/C is very minimal, and further, I only drive that car a few thousand miles a year, so we're not talking about a big number here.

Haha yeah I'm sure you've done the math and all.  Its just looking at your post I see things like driving a convertible and blasting the ac, and it just feeeeels spendypants.  No offense intended.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10426 on: September 14, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »

Haha yeah I'm sure you've done the math and all.  Its just looking at your post I see things like driving a convertible and blasting the ac, and it just feeeeels spendypants.  No offense intended.
Eh, I can understand that. Some people buy wine, some people drive fun cars, some people have horses...I'm sure most of us have that little luxury that we don't want to give up.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10427 on: September 14, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »

I don't understand why people think convertibles are extravagent or spendypants or anything. Until 2008 you could get a Camry convertible. Can still get a Chrysler 200 convertible, which is just a Dodge Avenger or Mitsubishi Lancer (boring, practical car). Mini Coopers, at least 2 current VW's, Mustangs and Camaro's (which are really not spendypants cars, especially in V6 form), and the Fiat are all "practical" convertibles as well, and none of them are fancy or all that expensive. Buick has one coming soon too. Why are they spendy pants?

On the sportier side of it, the S2000 is a great investment (seriously! No, it isn't VTSMX). I drove a Miata hard for 4 years and 60,000 miles and sold it for about $3,500 less than we paid for it. Not too bad, all things considered--less than $1000 a year in depreciation, and a lot of mileage on there. Corvettes don't depreciate that much if you take care of them and don't pile on miles...

I just don't understand the stuck up rich person stigma associated with a convertible.

/Rant

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #10428 on: September 14, 2015, 11:04:11 AM »

I don't understand why people think convertibles are extravagent or spendypants or anything. Until 2008 you could get a Camry convertible. Can still get a Chrysler 200 convertible, which is just a Dodge Avenger or Mitsubishi Lancer (boring, practical car). Mini Coopers, at least 2 current VW's, Mustangs and Camaro's (which are really not spendypants cars, especially in V6 form), and the Fiat are all "practical" convertibles as well, and none of them are fancy or all that expensive. Buick has one coming soon too. Why are they spendy pants?

On the sportier side of it, the S2000 is a great investment (seriously! No, it isn't VTSMX). I drove a Miata hard for 4 years and 60,000 miles and sold it for about $3,500 less than we paid for it. Not too bad, all things considered--less than $1000 a year in depreciation, and a lot of mileage on there. Corvettes don't depreciate that much if you take care of them and don't pile on miles...

I just don't understand the stuck up rich person stigma associated with a convertible.

/Rant

I think that the spendy part is when you run the A/C full blast with the roof top open...

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10429 on: September 14, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »

/Rant

I think that the spendy part is when you run the A/C full blast with the roof top open...

But that really isn't that spendy, like Chris said. Especially when used only at stoplights.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10430 on: September 14, 2015, 11:27:53 AM »
But that really isn't that spendy, like Chris said. Especially when used only at stoplights.

I think most people don't really know what it costs and then make an assumption that it's costly.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10431 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »

/Rant

Maybe, but if you summ all of these tinny differences that Chris is talking about make a huge one at the end of the year. And sometime, the difference may be neglictible but the whole idea behind is more important.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10432 on: September 14, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
Quote from: Rollin
Foam alert, but I had to chime in.  Except for when you first get in a super hot (interior) car, you should always run on recirculate.  The pressure in the car's AC system is very high when it is trying to cool hot and moist outside air.  Why not give it some help by recirculating the dryer and cooler air that is inside the car?  Lower pressure in the system uses less energy, and allows your system to last longer.

For a hot car, I always drive around with the windows down and blasting non-ac outside air for a few minutes before rolling up the windows and hitting the recirc ac.  However that brings me to agree with others re:

I think most people don't really know what it costs and then make an assumption that it's costly.

This summer I've been driving around mostly with the windows down and no ac, except on the brutally hottest days.  My door latch was broken and I hadn't got around to fixing it so I had to roll down the window to get out of the car.  Figured I could save some gas by keeping the window down.

Most car buffs will quote the rule of thumb that you are better off with the window down if traveling slower than 40mph.  Anecdotally, my mileage was worse this summer than last summer.  I suspect my ac is actually pretty efficient due to the fact I have an un mustachian HP under the good that likely generates way too much excess power even at minimum throttle.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10433 on: September 14, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »

But property tax is not at all even, between states or even within states.  Which is why some schools have way better funding than others.
That's certainly true.  I was speaking for my own particular district, with about 10 schools.

Of course, one school about 40 miles away spends 2/3 of what we do, and the "rich" school 10 miles south spends 2x.  Yah know, where Oprah lives.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10434 on: September 14, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »
Yeah I don't know. As someone that doesn't have any children nor plans on having any, I could argue that it is unfair to pay property taxes, which go into schools, but I understand that there are societal obligations. I don't get to pick and choose what the government funds and I understand that having great schools helps the entire society.

"taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society" Oliver Wendell Holmes

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10435 on: September 14, 2015, 12:45:09 PM »

That's certainly true.  I was speaking for my own particular district, with about 10 schools.

Of course, one school about 40 miles away spends 2/3 of what we do, and the "rich" school 10 miles south spends 2x.  Yah know, where Oprah lives.

Spending doesn't lead to performance. The best and worst school districts in my county spend nearly exactly the same amount per student - $14,200 per year in 2012-2013. The highest-spending district has this absurd geography (in red):

They spent $19,000 per student in 2012-13. They have the second-lowest rate in the county on instruction as a portion of expenditures, because they spend a lot of money on transportation.

Meanwhile, Philadelphia schools spend $6000 more per student each year than the best and worst districts in my county, for results that are downright dangerous. Money isn't the limiting ingredient here and it's more complicated than spending more = better results.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10436 on: September 14, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
I'm in the market for a new phone (my current phone is in bad shape) and since I plan to buy a used phone I've been looking at other people's phones and asking questions about their experiences. We set aside $200 in the budget for this back in January. However, if I want to go over budget for a fancy pants phone (tech is my weakness) I need to cover the rest from my personal allowance.

I explained all this to one of my co-workers who asked why I didn't just order one of the new iPhone 6s phones and be done.

He said, "But Metta, you and your husband have money. Why do you have to talk about purchases with him at all? Just buy it and tell him after the fact. If I had enough money to retire, I would never discuss purchases with my wife."

Other co-worker: "Yeah, I'd come home one day with a boat and no questions asked or answered."

Both men laughed.

I just looked at them, speechless. My husband and I discuss all purchases above about $25 except those we cover from our allowance (usually books, games, perfume). Financial transparency seems foundational to relationships to me.
A bit off-topic, but have you looked into the Moto G?

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10437 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »
I was homeschooled. I probably won't have kids. If I do have kids I would prefer to homeschool them. I don't mind paying taxes for the schools because I want school to be an available option for everybody because I want to live in an educated society. However, I don't believe that spending more money equates to a better education.

I don't like the way some of the schools spend the money that they receive. A friend of mine just got a job at a public school and he said they are giving every student an ipad mini this year. The students have to return the ipads at the end of the year, but still. That just seems like they are trying to think up ways to spend money.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10438 on: September 14, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »

Exactly.  I drive that car maybe 2k miles/yr.  Let's say not running the A/C is worth an extra 1mpg.  2000/22 = 91 gal x $3 = $273.  2000/21 = 95 gal x $3 = $285.  $285 - $273 = $12.  A year.  Wow.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10439 on: September 14, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »

Maybe it's a lack of cross culture exposure, but recently I've ran into a lot of people on the internet lacking in understanding of Asian culture, and confusing Japanese, Korean, and Chinese culture as sort of the same thing.   Looking through Wikipedia it would seem that Asian countries vary as much as their culture does in the funding of public schools, China funding only through the 9th grade, whereas the article on Japan did not mention if primary school is covered, but that high school is not.

With my vast experience being in Taiwan, public and private schools alike are not free, they pay tuition for each child they have in school.  In some families this can become a large burden with multiple children in school, but also as a part of culture they have a strong desire (and incentive) to have their kids get ahead and encourage them to have good careers.  The incentive being that the eldest child takes care of the parents during their retirement (essentially kids are their retirement plan), traditionally the eldest son, but in more recent times could be shared amongst all children, and a family without sons may rely on the daughter, but I digress.

My point being that it is ironic to claim the failure to provide free K-12 education would mean to import scientists from countries that also don't provide free K-12 education.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10440 on: September 14, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
And sometime, the difference may be neglictible but the whole idea behind is more important.

Yeah, sorry, that's stupid.  If we're supposed to be optimizing stuff, why are we wasting energy doing something for the "idea" of it if the numbers don't work out?  Isn't that the exact opposite of the whole point?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10441 on: September 14, 2015, 02:03:28 PM »
And sometime, the difference may be neglictible but the whole idea behind is more important.

Yeah, sorry, that's stupid.  If we're supposed to be optimizing stuff, why are we wasting energy doing something for the "idea" of it if the numbers don't work out?  Isn't that the exact opposite of the whole point?

Yes, I agree with Chris22.  For goodness sake, running the AC with the car windows (or convertible top) down is not that big of a deal!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10442 on: September 14, 2015, 02:11:31 PM »
Advertisement at my workplace's Credit Union:

"Vacation Loans -starting at 6.5% interest, have the vacation you have always wanted!"
"Limit up to $5000"

Ugghhh
Yeah, that is ridiculous. "The vacation I always wanted" is definitely more than $5,000. ;)

In the overall world of unsecured consumer debt, though, 6.5% is a comparative bargain.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10443 on: September 14, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »
Advertisement at my workplace's Credit Union:

"Vacation Loans -starting at 6.5% interest, have the vacation you have always wanted!"
"Limit up to $5000"

Ugghhh
Yeah, that is ridiculous. "The vacation I always wanted" is definitely more than $5,000. ;)

In the overall world of unsecured consumer debt, though, 6.5% is a comparative bargain.

That's sadly true. I think most people charge the vacation expenses to their credit card and just make payments on it forever. This would be a much better idea than using the cc to finance your trip.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10444 on: September 14, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »

Exactly.  I drive that car maybe 2k miles/yr.  Let's say not running the A/C is worth an extra 1mpg.  2000/22 = 91 gal x $3 = $273.  2000/21 = 95 gal x $3 = $285.  $285 - $273 = $12.  A year.  Wow.

I know my manual says that I should run the AC every few weeks to keep it properly oiled.  If you drive 2000 miles per year, that could be pretty close to everytime you drive somewhere.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10445 on: September 14, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »

ok then, leaving the lights on when you dont need it is a big deal so, lets do it. Do you shut it off to save few pennies? When you say "don't work out" you mean "not enough to bother" or "result is the oposite of what I think it should be"?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10446 on: September 14, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »

ok then, leaving the lights on when you dont need it is a big deal so, lets do it. Do you shut it off to save few pennies? When you say "don't work out" you mean "not enough to bother" or "result is the oposite of what I think it should be"?

Both. You're forgetting that everything has a cost. Comfort, time, etc.

I turn the lights off when I leave the room. Over a year, or a month, it can add up. I don't turn the lights off when I'm going to be back in the room in a minute or two, because the switches are really inconvenient. The 30* seconds extra to go turn off the lights and then turn them on when I get back is not worth it for me; I just leave them on. That would add up to probably a dollar a year saved on my electric bill with the lights that I use (currently all CFL in that room), so I don't turn them off if I'll be back in that room within 5 minutes.

Similarly, for me (and probably Chris) the cost of having the AC on at a stoplight was for me maybe an extra half gallon a tank. If that. $2 a month for 3 months for added comfort and not showing up to my destination covered in sweat? Yeah, that is worth it, and the result is the opposite of what I expected--it costs me more to have the AC off than on. I value my comfort pretty highly once my clothes are on the verge of getting wet.

*It really is 30** seconds to turn on/off the lights in my bedroom right now. That is a temporary thing; I am moving into the place and the room is a mess of boxes around a bed. I can't get to the light switch.
**Ok, probably only about 10 or 15. Still, really annoying.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10447 on: September 14, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
Yes, not turning lights off in an EMPTY room is not a valid comparison to blowing cold air on myself and then have it go into the atmosphere. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10448 on: September 14, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
Yes, not turning lights off in an EMPTY room is not a valid comparison to blowing cold air on myself and then have it go into the atmosphere.

Don't forget to close all your window blinds whenever you turn on the lights.  Can't have those photons being wasted outside.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10449 on: September 14, 2015, 05:15:55 PM »

Both. You're forgetting that everything has a cost. Comfort, time, etc.

I turn the lights off when I leave the room. Over a year, or a month, it can add up. I don't turn the lights off when I'm going to be back in the room in a minute or two, because the switches are really inconvenient. The 30* seconds extra to go turn off the lights and then turn them on when I get back is not worth it for me; I just leave them on. That would add up to probably a dollar a year saved on my electric bill with the lights that I use (currently all CFL in that room), so I don't turn them off if I'll be back in that room within 5 minutes.

Similarly, for me (and probably Chris) the cost of having the AC on at a stoplight was for me maybe an extra half gallon a tank. If that. $2 a month for 3 months for added comfort and not showing up to my destination covered in sweat? Yeah, that is worth it, and the result is the opposite of what I expected--it costs me more to have the AC off than on. I value my comfort pretty highly once my clothes are on the verge of getting wet.

*It really is 30** seconds to turn on/off the lights in my bedroom right now. That is a temporary thing; I am moving into the place and the room is a mess of boxes around a bed. I can't get to the light switch.
**Ok, probably only about 10 or 15. Still, really annoying.

The sun is damn hot where you guys live! I guess motocycle comes with AC as well. Or maybe "convertible" are not convenient at all, just fun and flashy toys