Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252775 times)

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6050 on: December 22, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
My co-worker is livid.  He went to Germany with his dad for a week.  When he got back, his wife had bought a brand new $37000 Jeep grand Cherokee without telling him she was doing it.  She put it in her name only, but since she is only working 2-3 days a week at minimum wage,the vast majority of the families wages comes from his paycheck. 

If I were him, I'd have her drive it right back to the dealership.  Seriously, who buys a brand new car without at least talking it over with your spouse?!?
Agree.  That is some serious communication problem going on!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6051 on: December 22, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6052 on: December 22, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »
So, SO and I went to the local social security office to take care of stuff from our recent move. While sitting with the very nice lady putting the numbers into the computer for us, a couple things happened. First, a person behind us was complaining about overdraft fees of $35 each, and said it was the 3rd or 4th time it had happened recently because he didn't get enough money. The other thing was that I had to tell the woman I lost my job earlier this year and she asked how I paid for it. I told her savings (5 months of not being employed). She was a little shocked by that, but then she asked how much I had in my bank account, and I said 6.5k. She was super surprised by that given that SO and I recently moved, I was unemployed for 5 months this year, and somehow made it through without any debt whatsoever.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6053 on: December 22, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
My co-worker is livid.  He went to Germany with his dad for a week.  When he got back, his wife had bought a brand new $37000 Jeep grand Cherokee without telling him she was doing it.  She put it in her name only, but since she is only working 2-3 days a week at minimum wage,the vast majority of the families wages comes from his paycheck. 

If I were him, I'd have her drive it right back to the dealership.  Seriously, who buys a brand new car without at least talking it over with your spouse?!?

If I were him, I'd tell her she better like sleeping in the car. 

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6054 on: December 22, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »

wah! XD

she can get some cloths and stuff in that roomy car as well. finaly, 37K is not to bad for a place to live

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #6055 on: December 22, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
100% match?!?! Only putting in $500 a month?!?! (MIND EXPLODES) I think I'm cutting a fat hog at 6% match.

In order to share the pain from the UK - what is the IRS max? I don't thunk I'm going to like the answer!

$17,500 in 2014...

And $18k for next year.  One more week and I can revamp all my auto-investments for 2015.
Oh. That's all, just Oh.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6056 on: December 22, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »

wah! XD

she can get some cloths and stuff in that roomy car as well. finaly, 37K is not to bad for a place to live

Right, a tiny house costs 5K more!!!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6057 on: December 22, 2014, 02:57:07 PM »
On topic: my in-laws moved 10 blocks away from me to be closer to the grandkids. They ROUTINELY drive those 10 blocks. Not only that, they bought an SUV "to make it easier to fit the carseats". They drive my kids places MAYBE once a month.
I feel sad whenever I hear something like this.  In many cases, I honestly don't think it's about the money or the car.  I think grandparents will do just about anything to spend more time with their grandkids and they want to remove any possible objection ahead of time. 
I think a lot of people spend many years believing "someday, my life will be better and everyone will love me and want to spend time with me".  Sometimes material things fill those voids, and sometimes material things are used to entice others to spend time with them.  Either way, it's sad.  Consider giving your in-laws a specific job that requires time with your kids.  Ask them to bring your kids to the park every Thursday, or have game day every other Friday night, or Library day once per month.  Anything that makes them feel useful will typically mean that they spend less money trying to fill a void and more time feeling better about themselves.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6058 on: December 22, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »

I have seen how spouses with low income can indeed get large loans, but if I were the bank, I would insist that the persons with the income backing the loan are required to sign.

Why is it so easy for spouses without personal income to be qualified for such large loans based on their credit rating only?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6059 on: December 22, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »

I have seen how spouses with low income can indeed get large loans, but if I were the bank, I would insist that the persons with the income backing the loan are required to sign.

Why is it so easy for spouses without personal income to be qualified for such large loans based on their credit rating only?

Because a married person is half of a legal economic unit. Why is this a question? They aren't qualifying on "credit rating only"; they're qualifying on their joint income, same as the other spouse would.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6060 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »

Because a married person is half of a legal economic unit. Why is this a question? They aren't qualifying on "credit rating only"; they're qualifying on their joint income, same as the other spouse would.
The question then is..how can you qualify on joint income with only one signature?  Mortgages don't work that way, so why do cc and car loans?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6061 on: December 23, 2014, 02:39:24 AM »

The question then is..how can you qualify on joint income with only one signature?  Mortgages don't work that way, so why do cc and car loans?

Ah. Fair question, that. Don't know why I didn't see it before.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #6062 on: December 23, 2014, 04:08:12 AM »
We have work weeks of 36 hours (that's normal where I work). This means you have one day off every other week. A co-worker applied to work more, this means he now has to work 5 days every week. He says he likes it better this way, otherwise the 5 day work week seems to long compared to the one with 4 days. So his solution.. to have only 5 day work weeks..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:15:55 AM by Sanne »

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6063 on: December 23, 2014, 06:11:49 AM »

wah! XD

Comically, 37K is exactly what I paid 6 years ago for my house. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6064 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
I'm confused. I was thinking a 6% match meant "My employer will match what I put in dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of my salary." So 100% match isn't 94% better than a 6% match; it'd be something around 11% better on a $100,000 salary. Still, $11,500 tax-free is nothing to scoff at.
Would it be better if I said "I've never seen a 100% match on more than 6% of my salary"? :)
The comparison is all in how you do the math. My current employer match tops out at 5% of my base pay, or roughly $4k; $17,500 would be 337% more money.
/digression
On topic: my in-laws moved 10 blocks away from me to be closer to the grandkids. They ROUTINELY drive those 10 blocks. Not only that, they bought an SUV "to make it easier to fit the carseats". They drive my kids places MAYBE once a month.
UGH. *headdesk* that kind of thinking drives me nucking futs!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:01:04 AM by zephyr911 »

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #6065 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:38 AM »

is it safe to assume that mortgages require the signature of both financials parties as opposed to a vehicle due to the almost  log difference in price. also its easier to rip that car back should they fall behind in payments.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6066 on: December 23, 2014, 07:04:16 AM »
is it safe to assume that mortgages require the signature of both financials parties as opposed to a vehicle due to the almost  log difference in price. also its easier to rip that car back should they fall behind in payments.
Your reply is lost in the quote haze.
The amount shouldn't change the legal principles at play. If qualifying based on joint credit, consent of both parties should be required.
Of course, it's entirely possible they just ran her credit and qualified her based on the joint accounts listed, and car loans generally don't require proof of income so she could easily have given their combined numbers to ensure approval.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6067 on: December 23, 2014, 07:51:48 AM »
I'm confused. I was thinking a 6% match meant "My employer will match what I put in dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of my salary." So 100% match isn't 94% better than a 6% match; it'd be something around 11% better on a $100,000 salary. Still, $11,500 tax-free is nothing to scoff at.
Would it be better if I said "I've never seen a 100% match on more than 6% of my salary"? :)
The comparison is all in how you do the math. My current employer match tops out at 5% of my base pay, or roughly $4k; $17,500 would be 337% more money.

My employer puts in 13% and requires employees put in 2%. It isn't really a match, since it is mandatory.
The place I worked before here puts in 10% and requires the employee to put in 5%.

(A previous employer put in 12% without the employee putting in anything. Then they would match an additional 3% if the employee also put in 3%.  However that incredible benefit has eroded over time, and they now put in 6%, and match an additional 3%.)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6068 on: December 23, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
My employer puts in 13% and requires employees put in 2%. It isn't really a match, since it is mandatory.
The place I worked before here puts in 10% and requires the employee to put in 5%.

(A previous employer put in 12% without the employee putting in anything. Then they would match an additional 3% if the employee also put in 3%.  However that incredible benefit has eroded over time, and they now put in 6%, and match an additional 3%.)
I often wonder why they feel the need to complicate things so much. The feds give 1% automatically, full match up to 3%, and 50% match from 3% to 5%. The diminishing returns seem to me like a good excuse to give less. I'd rather they start at 0 and give a full match all the way.
I've never set mine under 5%, usually well above that, but I do think the convoluted match scheme makes it easy to rationalize lower contributions.

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #6069 on: December 23, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »
I often wonder why they feel the need to complicate things so much. The feds give 1% automatically, full match up to 3%, and 50% match from 3% to 5%. The diminishing returns seem to me like a good excuse to give less. I'd rather they start at 0 and give a full match all the way.
I've never set mine under 5%, usually well above that, but I do think the convoluted match scheme makes it easy to rationalize lower contributions.

My employer used to put in 2%, then match 100% of what you put in up to another 4% of your salary.

Now they don't put anything in to start with, and only match 25% of what you put in, up to 2% of your salary.  So, you must put in 8% to get the full match.  I still have conversations with coworkers who are confused by this, and think they're getting the full match at 2%.  Which I guess would be half a percent?

They also wait as long as possible to deposit the match - October of the following year.  So if you left the company in the nine months before that, you don't get it.  But all of this is moot, because for the last three years running they haven't bothered to put anything in at all.  Financial considerations don't allow it, and all that.  Maybe next year.

This year for the first time I put in the IRS max, which is about 25% of my gross salary.  The good news is that after that, the missing 2% from them is nothing to worry about.  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:14:53 AM by Fuzzy Buttons »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6070 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »
This year for the first time I put in the IRS max, which is about 25% of my gross salary.  The good news is that after that, the missing 2% from them is nothing to worry about.  :)
I feel like I've read something about this before... hmmm:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/11/14/doubling-your-salary/

cs33988

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6071 on: December 23, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »
I have lurked on this website long enough.  Here is a Lose, Win, Lose situation from the same coworker in a span of about 3 days.

Lose: Coworker has been placing TSP contributions (not even 5%) into the G fund. 
Win: Coworker hears me talking and asks how to switch to another fund.  She chooses lifecycle fund and is going to "let it ride"
Big Lose: Executive order gives everybody 1% raises.  I suggest to CW to up her TSP contribution by that 1% and thus her check will only change slightly and her raise is actually 2% because she gains the match.   
   CW: How much would that change my actual paycheck
   Me: Couple of bucks probably because locality pay isn't affected
   CW: That's a lunch
   Me:  Obama is helping you save for your future
   CW: Obama is buying me lunch
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:47:55 PM by cs33988 »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6072 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
I feel sad whenever I hear something like this.  In many cases, I honestly don't think it's about the money or the car.  I think grandparents will do just about anything to spend more time with their grandkids and they want to remove any possible objection ahead of time. 
I think a lot of people spend many years believing "someday, my life will be better and everyone will love me and want to spend time with me".  Sometimes material things fill those voids, and sometimes material things are used to entice others to spend time with them.  Either way, it's sad.  Consider giving your in-laws a specific job that requires time with your kids.  Ask them to bring your kids to the park every Thursday, or have game day every other Friday night, or Library day once per month.  Anything that makes them feel useful will typically mean that they spend less money trying to fill a void and more time feeling better about themselves.

I wish it was as simple as a "need to be needed". That I could understand and work with. My m-i-l's schedule of being a stay a home mom since her first child was born apparently just doesn't permit that kind of planning. She says things like "Oh, I don't want to be restricted to just once a week", but then most of the time doesn't actually come over because "something" comes up. She has reneged on actual, firm plans to come over and watch the kids. It's not something I get involved with because my husband is a stay-at-home-dad, so it's all-around his issue to deal with.

They are always welcome to take our car plus the kids and not move the car seats at all. Or if they were willing to walk they could take them to the park, library, toy store, or one of three ice cream shops that are all within a 10 minute walk. Or they could bus or train to a million other options, including a zoo and a handful of museums.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6073 on: December 23, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »
Why does the only civilised way to react in this kind of situation is smile and act happy? Even if inside, you feel sick to the stomach. Do normal peoples know how bad they make us thinking we are kind of hypocrite :/

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6074 on: December 24, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »
I have one related to Christmas gifts.

At work, I saw a CW ask around for an empty PS4. I asked her what it was for and she said her kid was into XBOX but they were going to put the PS4 box.... With a Macbook in it. They also had an XBOX to give AFTER all gifts. And the kid is only 7.... I was like wow!! At 7, I'd be happy with one gift... Not demand more. And she said, her kids usually have meltdowns after all gifts are opened since they sometimes don't get all they want. Apparently in earlier years, they've had to go to stores to buy those missing gifts on or after Christmas day. Now my cw and husband get everything but give the "missing" gifts when meltdowns start. If the kids dont do a meltdown, they still get those gifts for being good throughout the day. She said she spent around $3k per kid. Took me some time to get through all of this.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6075 on: December 24, 2014, 06:39:16 AM »

At work, I saw a CW ask around for an empty PS4. I asked her what it was for and she said her kid was into XBOX but they were going to put the PS4 box.... With a Macbook in it. They also had an XBOX to give AFTER all gifts. And the kid is only 7.... I was like wow!! At 7, I'd be happy with one gift... Not demand more. And she said, her kids usually have meltdowns after all gifts are opened since they sometimes don't get all they want. Apparently in earlier years, they've had to go to stores to buy those missing gifts on or after Christmas day. Now my cw and husband get everything but give the "missing" gifts when meltdowns start. If the kids dont do a meltdown, they still get those gifts for being good throughout the day. She said she spent around $3k per kid. Took me some time to get through all of this.
I thought my CWs were kid-whipped, but that tops them all. Every last one.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #6076 on: December 24, 2014, 06:42:48 AM »

If you're doing that when the kid is 7, imagine what will be required when they start driving. And imagine this kid as an adult.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6077 on: December 24, 2014, 07:27:02 AM »

If you're doing that when the kid is 7, imagine what will be required when they start driving. And imagine this kid as an adult.

An we wonder why kids today seem to have no work ethic and are spoiled and entitled.... give them everything that is why.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6078 on: December 24, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »

An we wonder why kids today seem to have no work ethic and are spoiled and entitled.... give them everything that is why.

I remember when my niece was 7 and I called my sister in a tizzy not knowing what to get for her birthday. She told me, "She's 7. She'll enjoy anything you give her." And she did.

Quite a difference from the entitled children one hears about here and at my workplace. She has grown up to be an incredibly graceful, sweet-tempered, and resourceful teen. Her sister is now 10 and she is also fairly easily pleased with everything except food. (She only eats noodles or potatoes covered with some sort of cheese sauce.) My sister has never had much money (though she makes the money she has stretch further than a mustachian) so, perhaps her children never had the opportunity to be spoiled by anyone other than grandparents and concerned aunts and uncles. Or perhaps my nieces are simply sweeter than usual because of our excellent genetics. ;)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6079 on: December 24, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
Care to share the employer's name? Are they hiring?
No shit! I've had a few jobs with what I thought were decent bennies, but I don't think I've ever seen a match over 6%. TSP only matches 1-to-1 on the first 3% and half up to 5%.

I'd suck up some serious pain to get a deal that sweet.

My previous employer put in 8%, so long as the employee contributed at least 2%. That was in higher ed, though; the retirement plans tend to be pretty good, because they're competing against the defined-benefit pensions offered by state universities.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6080 on: December 24, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
I have lurked on this website long enough.  Here is a Lose, Win, Lose situation from the same coworker in a span of about 3 days.

Lose: Coworker has been placing TSP contributions (not even 5%) into the G fund. 
Win: Coworker hears me talking and asks how to switch to another fund.  She chooses lifecycle fund and is going to "let it ride"
Big Lose: Executive order gives everybody 1% raises.  I suggest to CW to up her TSP contribution by that 1% and thus her check will only change slightly and her raise is actually 2% because she gains the match.   
   CW: How much would that change my actual paycheck
   Me: Couple of bucks probably because locality pay isn't affected
   CW: That's a lunch
   Me:  Obama is helping you save for your future
   CW: Obama is buying me lunch

It probably wouldn't affect her check at all because it's pre-tax, which should override the small effect of the locality pay.  It kills me when people don't even put in enough to get the matching.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6081 on: December 24, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »

Kids today, gah! (in crotchety old man voice)

And stay off my lawn!  (waiving my cane in the air)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6082 on: December 24, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »

Yep.  I teach high school.  We can always tell which kids have THOSE parents.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6083 on: December 24, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »

Kids today, gah! (in crotchety old man voice)

And stay off my lawn!  (waiving my cane in the air)

"We used to dream of living in a corridor" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6084 on: December 24, 2014, 12:43:29 PM »
100% match?!?! Only putting in $500 a month?!?! (MIND EXPLODES) I think I'm cutting a fat hog at 6% match.

In order to share the pain from the UK - what is the IRS max? I don't thunk I'm going to like the answer!

$17,500 in 2014...
And $18k for next year.  One more week and I can revamp all my auto-investments for 2015.
Plus $5,000 if you are over 50 (some caveats), but most of you are early retirement bound and wouldn't care about that over 50 stuff :)  I get funny looks from my accounting staff when I up mine to the max every year.  She is single and makes well above the average FAMILY income in the area and seems to just skid by.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:58:11 PM by Rollin »

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6085 on: December 24, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »

Wow!  $3K/kid.  We are doing approx. $150/kid and I feel that is a bit over the top (call me Mr. Grinch, the older cartoon version).

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #6086 on: December 24, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »
Boss: Are you going to take your baby [~6 months] to get a photo with Santa?
CW: I don't know, it's pretty expensive.
Boss: I heard that X mall is charging only $35.
CW: Oh, maybe I'll go there then.

!!!! So how the hell much does it usually cost to get a Santa photo? People are crazy.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #6087 on: December 24, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »

Wow, that is truly astounding. A real-life Dudley Dursley.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6088 on: December 24, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »

!!!! So how the hell much does it usually cost to get a Santa photo? People are crazy.

You know, for that money you could hire a student with costume to make 20 photos!
You know, you could rent someone and let your neighbors make photos for only 25$!!
You know, I think I am going to get a santas costume next year and someone who knows how to make photos. You could even give them a red USB stick with the photos for 35$ each!!!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6089 on: December 24, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqqRPvM_Sw - Cartman when his mom won't buy him the biggest-storage ipad.

You know, I think I am going to get a santas costume next year and someone who knows how to make photos. You could even give them a red USB stick with the photos for 35$ each!!!

The photo thing is funny.

Photos are expensive - well, no, photos are actually nearly free, but everything surrounding them is expensive. Fancy cameras, expensive lenses, lots of lighting gear (some if which is also very expensive), lots of specialized knowledge of both the camera-lens part and the lighting part, lots of time to post-process. Insurance for all the above. And add the fact that usually it's a freelancer, so they need to charge twice per hour what they actually need to survive, since work is sporadic. And of course, you need to pay the mall, pay the santa, pay for whatever other bullshit you need to pay for.

That's one of the many reasons, for example, a wedding photographer might cost you three grand.

Or at least so the story goes. Of course, that's not the end of the story. In truth, I can get a $200 kit with camera and lens, $200 for some basic lighting, give it to some 16-year-old who likes instagram, teach them how to use it for 15 minutes on auto mode, and shit out photos for $35 per. Or $5 per, if kids don't take too long and I don't like profit. Next year, wouldn't even have to buy the gear, since it still works fine. And you know, the photos will be fine. They're not going to be art, they're going to be fast and simple and not very good. For an extra $5/per, I can hire someone who knows more about lighting and exposure, knows a bit on how to set up lights for portraits, and can do a basic post-process.

But every "photographer" with a camera and a need to eat likes to think that what they're doing is very specialized and difficult, as if they're developing the photos themselves and dodging and burning and framing and each shot costs film and chemicals. You can get away with it for weddings; $300 gets you a student with very basic gear and in good conditions they might deliver good photos, in poor conditions it's a bit unlikely; for three grand you're essentially buying a guarantee of good technical work as well as decent art to boot. For santa shots, you don't get away with that. But you can still pretend that it's something special, add in some of that "once a year event, memories for the rest of your life" bullshit (who the fuck looks at those photos more than once? they go on facebook, get ten likes, and are buried forever) and charge as much as the market will bear.

Which, apparently, is thirty-five dollars.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6090 on: December 24, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »

That was an awesome rant from start to finish

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6091 on: December 24, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »

Wow!  $3K/kid.  We are doing approx. $150/kid and I feel that is a bit over the top (call me Mr. Grinch, the older cartoon version).
Dudley Dursley indeed.  We're spending about $75/kid.  'Course, we have 6 of 'em, so it adds up, but still...

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #6092 on: December 24, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »

My response: only if I knew it was the real Santa. No fucking way am I paying $35 for a photo of an imposter.

PS I hate Santa photos. Even if they were free I wouldn't subject my children to it.  Half the ones I see,  the kids are creeped out with awful expressions on their faces.

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6093 on: December 24, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »

My response: only if I knew it was the real Santa. No fucking way am I paying $35 for a photo of an imposter.

PS I hate Santa photos. Even if they were free I wouldn't subject my children to it.  Half the ones I see,  the kids are creeped out with awful expressions on their faces.

I was in the hospital for the hr long test; hubby took our 4 year old to the mall across for free parking and escape from rain. They both stood in Santa photo line for 25 mins, took pictures in iPhone; and took a few mins break before picking me.
We got great free Santa photos for us to print as we like free. Also because my 4 year old wanted one. Totally unplanned. No way we are spending $30 for 2 4*6 photo prints.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #6094 on: December 24, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »
This is more of "seen at work", rather than overheard.

My side gig is deliveries for a restaurant. Some customers invite me in when it's super hot or super cold. Customer recently let me inside, soon as they shut the door, I look behind the door and there's a pond. When I told my SO that this person had a pond right next to the door, I had to clarify, "The pond is INSIDE their home. O.O" Don't worry, the pond had a waterfall.

Couldn't believe my eyes.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #6095 on: December 24, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
Unfortunately, I have more stories. lol

1. Co-worker was complaining that diesel fuel costs more than the other fuels right now. Instead of sympathizing with him, I had to clarify his issue, "you're upset that you have to pay more to fuel your brand new audi (which cost at least $50k because to had to make sure it had certain features like panoramic sunroof)?" I followed with an apology that I can't relate to his issue. 

2. Coworker recently left our firm. Old commute = ~11 miles (w/ hardly any traffic). New commute = ~40 miles (in the most frustrating traffic..stop. go 2 miles an hour. stop. rinse repeat and add a few fender benders b/c the person behind you got impatient and hit the gas by accident [had this happen 2 times in one year to me in old commute]).
Coworker claims he wanted to work for new employer because of state retirement pension. I pointed out that he could easily save for his retirement on his own and the real reason is because he basically needs the state to take his money and save it for him. He agreed. I could understand if the pay he will receive is more than what he receives now, but it's only a couple grand more and that extra money will easily get eaten up by the awful commute he is choosing.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6096 on: December 25, 2014, 02:09:39 AM »
Unfortunately, I have more stories. lol

1. Co-worker was complaining that diesel fuel costs more than the other fuels right now. Instead of sympathizing with him, I had to clarify his issue, "you're upset that you have to pay more to fuel your brand new audi (which cost at least $50k because to had to make sure it had certain features like panoramic sunroof)?" I followed with an apology that I can't relate to his issue. 
You could have pponited out that he gets about 1/4 more of milage out of diesel, because its energy is higher then gas.

I know that type of complain. Here in germany diesel is tax-reduced, but the car itself costs more.
So I had a coworker complain that diesel got so expensive even when they already paid 2000€ more for the car.
And I though they pay 1/5 less money AND use 1/4 less of the stuff. She pays about 30€ less per week then the same car as gas just from commuting. I wouldnt complain.
Also, funny thing: I am a very defensive, slow (fuel saving) driving person, that coworker is more average (= 7km/h faster then speed limit, braking more etc.) one day she had the same route then me back to home because she wanted to the doctor (she lives in another small town).
The way is 20km. We started at the same time (mostly she is earlier because she does only 30hours, but for the doctors time she worked an hour longer that day). At the last traffic light, about 500m from my home I had to turn left, she right.
Because the left lane had way less cars, I ended up in front of her at the traffic light :D
All the way she disappeared out of my sight only to get back in at some point.
Granted, it was because she had bad luck at the way between our starting and end city, but it showed very nice that "fast" driving isnt necessarily faster then "slow."
If I had the bad luck and she a green wave, it would have been perhaps 6 minutes.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6097 on: December 25, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
I pointed out that he could easily save for his retirement on his own and the real reason is because he basically needs the state to take his money and save it for him. He agreed.

At least he's honest about having a mental block.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6098 on: December 25, 2014, 09:26:02 AM »

$17,500 in 2014...
Plus $5,000 if you are over 50 (some caveats), but most of you are early retirement bound and wouldn't care about that over 50 stuff :)  I get funny looks from my accounting staff when I up mine to the max every year.  She is single and makes well above the average FAMILY income in the area and seems to just skid by.
Oh, may have to redo my math.  I set my 401k at the max in 2013 when I was working 80% for the first half, and never adjusted, so I now cap out in October or November.

My spouse has the most awesome 401k contribution.  Company puts 10 to 20% of your salary into your 401k every year, depending on profits.  Straight up, no match.  To think he could have started working there 5 years before he did.  Their philosophy is "work hard, retire early".  Which would have been easier had he started at age 32 not 37.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6099 on: December 25, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »

That was an awesome rant from start to finish

Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!