Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252590 times)

zataks

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3050 on: June 27, 2014, 03:14:44 PM »
I'm at a work function with a young BigLaw associate; we work in Midtown Manhattan on Park Ave.  He makes 160k or more.   Because partnership prospects are terrible, I make an off-hand comment that you just have to save as much as you can while you still have a job.  He mentions that he doesn't understand how people save money.  I'm confused (I save 60-70% of my salary) and it turns out that for Manhattan, his rent is dirt cheap.  So I get really confused.

Me: Okay. . . . .  So what do you spend it on?
Him: Man, we work on Park Avenue, everything is hella expensive.
Me: Right; I agree. So what do you spend it on?
Him: Man, I must spend $50-60 a day just on food, minimum.   Have you ever been to Dishes??[a local to-go lunch place that is hella expensive].  I mean, you get lunch and it is $26.
Me: Yeah.  Dishes is hella expensive.  But you know what isn't hella expensive?  The food cart right next to Dishes.
Him: Come on man, we make 6-figures.  I'm not eating at a freaking food cart.
Me (to myself): [If you live like you make 6-figures, and you make 6-figures, of course you are never going to save any money.  Simple, simple math.]

But the food carts in Manhattan are freakin' bomb!  Hallal trucks for the win.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3051 on: June 27, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »
I'm at a work function with a young BigLaw associate; we work in Midtown Manhattan on Park Ave.  He makes 160k or more.   Because partnership prospects are terrible, I make an off-hand comment that you just have to save as much as you can while you still have a job.  He mentions that he doesn't understand how people save money.  I'm confused (I save 60-70% of my salary) and it turns out that for Manhattan, his rent is dirt cheap.  So I get really confused.

Him: Man, I must spend $50-60 a day just on food, minimum.   Have you ever been to Dishes??[a local to-go lunch place that is hella expensive].  I mean, you get lunch and it is $26.
Me: Yeah.  Dishes is hella expensive.  But you know what isn't hella expensive?  The food cart right next to Dishes.
Me (to myself): [If you live like you make 6-figures, and you make 6-figures, of course you are never going to save any money.  Simple, simple math.]

I can't imagine $26 on a to-go lunch.  As a former biglaw associate, I found that ironically, when you worked crazy long hours, you spent little (no time, and firm offered cafe dinner if you worked past 8) and billed lots (making you more apt to keep your job in a down ecomony).  When you weren't busy working, you had more time to spend money and were more apt to lose your job in a down economy. 

Rbuckyfuller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3052 on: June 27, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »

I can't imagine $26 on a to-go lunch.  As a former biglaw associate, I found that ironically, when you worked crazy long hours, you spent little (no time, and firm offered cafe dinner if you worked past 8) and billed lots (making you more apt to keep your job in a down ecomony).  When you weren't busy working, you had more time to spend money and were more apt to lose your job in a down economy.

I also mentioned to him later the thing about if you were there after 8pm you could order Seamlessweb on the firm.... he didn't seem to think this substantially affected his budget.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #3053 on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »

Example of somebody who is apparently book smart, but not life smart.

The best breakfast tacos in my city are at the gas station next door (literally, there was a contest for breakfast tacos and they won). $1.50 for two tacos that fill you up for hours. I try not to make a habit of it because it's still $1.50 gone, but it's dumb to look down on yummy food because you think you're too fancy to consume it.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3054 on: June 27, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

There must be more to it than food spending if the rent is cheap. 60$ for food every day is only 22k a year. A lot but not budget breaking from 100k+ net income.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3055 on: June 27, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
Went to lunch with two coworkers…. my supervisors son was looking for furniture for bedroom was going to be $2k which I thought was high… his girlfriend said $2k was to cheap and he needed to spend atleast $8k for a bedroom set.

I'm still trying to digest this . . . glad she is an ex-girlfriend now.

I just go the most beautiful modern Danish bedroom furniture you've ever seen for $400 off of Craigslist.  Perfect condition.  You see, rich spendthrift girlfriends like to redecorate, and I am happy to take their leftovers.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3056 on: June 27, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »
Mostly, until age 18 months they cannot keep themselves occupied at all. And even after that, they are content to play independently for a few minutes UNTIL they see you in the kitchen trying to DO something.
Our daughter was content to play with the pots & pans on the floor while we started a crockpot or defrosted leftovers in the microwave.

As soon as she could stand on a counter stepstool we started her on mixing ingredients.  By the time she was six years old she could make her own meal, and by the time she was eight years old she could make the family dinner.  She was rarely interested in cooking dinner for us more than once or twice a month, but she really enjoyed taking charge of desserts and birthday cakes.  When she was home for college senior break with her friends, they cooked every dinner for us (from Pinterest recipes) and even ran the BBQ grill.

"Training" someone always takes longer than doing it yourself, but the time spent making a meal together during her small-kid years was less than the sum of the time spent trying to make a meal while she was tugging at our legs for attention.
My eight year old likes to help cook...er...he wants to "experiment" which usually means mixing a bunch of stuff together that don't actually make edible food.  I'm hoping that changes soon.

The almost 2 year old is thrilled to drop the banana in the blender for the morning smoothie and then push the button. It's something!

Rbuckyfuller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3057 on: June 28, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »

There must be more to it than food spending if the rent is cheap. 60$ for food every day is only 22k a year. A lot but not budget breaking from 100k+ net income.

Yeah there must be.  The only other thing he mentioned is that since he is often running late he takes cabs to work most days.  (I'm not convinced this is actually faster).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3058 on: June 29, 2014, 12:18:38 AM »

Yeah there must be.  The only other thing he mentioned is that since he is often running late he takes cabs to work most days.  (I'm not convinced this is actually faster).

I'm sure there's more to it than food spending.  Food spending is merely indicative of ALL spending choices.  Uh oh, got a stain on my shirt.  Better go buy a new one next door.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #3059 on: June 29, 2014, 01:53:05 AM »
In my previous role, there was a ~30 year old engineer reporting to me.  From what I could tell, he was strictly in this job for the money and had little interest in anything we were doing.  For example, I'd try to problem-solve with him - you know, so we'd get the benefit of  two heads working on the problem and so he'd have buy-in to whatever solution made the most sense.  I quickly discovered he had zero interest in exploring what was going on and just kind of passed the time with me.  Then, after a while, irritated, he would ask me what I wanted him to do.  So, I would pick a solution and tell him. 

Anyway, one day I walked over to his desk to ask him where some docs were stored on the network, and I noticed a shiny glossy brochure of BMWs open on his desk. I said something like, "oh, what's this?"  He got this far away look in his eyes and said, "this is what I'm saving up for."   

Now, in the country I live in, foreign cars are CRAZY EXPENSIVE.  A BMW that would cost $50k in the US would cost $100-$150k here.  Add to that the fact that engineers here make 1/5 to 1/3 the salary of US engineers and you have one seriously long slog to what?  A status mobile?  Then what?

(this is supposed to be a gif of Homer backing away slowly into the hedge, but the animation doesn't seem to play... hmm).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3060 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
In my previous role, there was a ~30 year old engineer reporting to me.  From what I could tell, he was strictly in this job for the money and had little interest in anything we were doing...

...Add to that the fact that engineers here make 1/5 to 1/3 the salary of US engineers and you have one seriously long slog to what?  A status mobile?  Then what?

god, people are just so weird.

okay, I had to google this Dishes place... is this it?

http://www.dishestogo.com/admin/imageuploads/Files/TodaySpecial.pdf

because if so, I... don't get it. who the fuck wants a "hot" entree served at room temperature? especially moroccan stewed salmon?!? it's not like you can heat that shit up at work! plus also there's a typo in "pluots." judging so hard right now. LOL

veypor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3061 on: June 30, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
First Person: "Hey, so how are you and your boyfriend liking your new apartment?" (nothing wrong with that, you should take some level of pride in where you live)

Second Person: "OMG, it's awesome! Our first place was only about 800 square feet. This place is like 1,100!" (wonder what the price tag is on a centrally-located 1,100 sq. ft. apartment)

FP: "That's awesome! Yeah, sometimes my boyfriend and I are like, 'Hey, we have a freaking foyer! You know? Since it's just us two and we have all that space [previously mentioned 4 br], we will actually call [each other] to find out where the other person is." (this actually stung to hear it)

SP: "I know, it feels like we've moved from a third world country to America! Hahaha" (face palm)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3062 on: June 30, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »
I could not fathom living with only one other person in a 4 bedroom house.  I hope they have a lot of pinball machines to fill up all that space and run an arcade every night that pays the rent.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3063 on: June 30, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »
I could not fathom living with only one other person in a 4 bedroom house.  I hope they have a lot of pinball machines to fill up all that space and run an arcade every night that pays the rent.

I couldn't either, that sounds awful and lonely.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3064 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:35 AM »
The pinball machines could make it fun.  But those things pump out a lot of heat when there's a bunch, so you'd need a good HVAC system to not roast.

Seriously though, we've got currently six (four plus two visiting) people and four dogs in a 1400 square foot house with no basement (and a good sized fenced yard), and we have more than enough space for anything we've ever wanted to do.  500 square feet for four people and three dogs though was pretty tight, yet doable.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3065 on: June 30, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
My parents have a house with 6 rooms plus a kitchen just for themselves and any visitors. Doesn't really feel all that large... They usually keep the third floor locked and heat it only enough for pipes not to freeze. It's all mine when I come to visit. :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3066 on: June 30, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »
Seriously though, we've got currently six (four plus two visiting) people and four dogs in a 1400 square foot house with no basement (and a good sized fenced yard), and we have more than enough space for anything we've ever wanted to do.  500 square feet for four people and three dogs though was pretty tight, yet doable.

For a week every winter, and sometimes in the summer, my parents have 7 people (2 parents, 3 daughters, 2 boyfriends) in around 1300-1500 sf (2br+"den" (serves as guest br)+1.5 bath) It's cozy and communal and fun. :) We don't spend much time at home anyway, and when we do it's in the kitchen/dining (cooking, playing games, watching movies, etc)

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #3067 on: June 30, 2014, 02:08:33 PM »

I am one person living with 2 dogs in a 3-bedroom. Now, in my defense, there are no houses in my city with less than 3 bedrooms. None. It's suburbia or bust. The apartments are not less expensive. A one-bedroom in a non-dirty, functioning, safe apartment complex is upwards of $1000. And with two dogs, I wanted a yard of some sort. You can't get that in apartments or condos here (there are no townhouses).

I'm not saying that's the case with the co-worker and his/her 4-bedroom house, but in my case, I either took a 3-bedroom that was actually cheaper than my previous apartment, or I stayed miserable in my previous apartment (which was falling apart and had dirty common areas, all for the low price of $1000 per month).

I admit it's too much space for me. I don't need the office area, but the guest bedroom has come in handy.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3068 on: June 30, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
I was recently told by my boss that I would need at least $6 million to retire. He went on to say that "$250,000 a year would be a comfortable income." I just nodded.

They are all going to be surprised as hell when I pull the plug within a year. Suckas!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #3069 on: June 30, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
I was recently told by my boss that I would need at least $6 million to retire. He went on to say that "$250,000 a year would be a comfortable income." I just nodded.

They are all going to be surprised as hell when I pull the plug within a year. Suckas!

I have clients complain to me all the time about how much it's going to take to retire.  Usually it ends with "I'll just work till I drop dead".  I don't know if it's sad or disgusting.   

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #3070 on: June 30, 2014, 03:32:44 PM »

I'm actually impressed that someone as deluded as your boss is actually aware of the SWR. But shit, $250K is merely a comfortable income?! I would be FI in 3 years with that kind of salary!

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #3071 on: June 30, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

I'm actually impressed that someone as deluded as your boss is actually aware of the SWR. But shit, $250K is merely a comfortable income?! I would be FI in 3 years with that kind of salary!

Less than $250k a year? And have two wait TWO years between BMW leases? Why, next you'll be telling me to re-gild my urinal in mere 12 Carat gold. TWELVE CARATS! LIKE SOME DICKENSIAN URCHIN! I'd rather be dead!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #3072 on: June 30, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »

Less than $250k a year? And have two wait TWO years between BMW leases? Why, next you'll be telling me to re-gild my urinal in mere 12 Carat gold. TWELVE CARATS! LIKE SOME DICKENSIAN URCHIN! I'd rather be dead!

Ahahahaha! I know, the mind boggles!

Honestly tho, I have a hard time fathoming how people spend $250K a year.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #3073 on: June 30, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
Honestly tho, I have a hard time fathoming how people spend $250K a year.
Funding their pensions! How else?

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #3074 on: June 30, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
Quote from: Sonorous Epithet

I see what you did there.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3075 on: June 30, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »

I would have immediately asked for a raise to $250,000 income from my boss. ;-)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3076 on: June 30, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »

My boss is actually quite good at investing. When it comes to spending though… He lives outside of LA and is actively looking for a house in Malibu. He has 4 daughters, all of which are in acting school. I'm actually surprised he can do it all on $250k/yr.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3077 on: June 30, 2014, 05:35:04 PM »
I would have immediately asked for a raise to $250,000 income from my boss. ;-)

Unfortunately our salary is determined by our union contract.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3078 on: July 01, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »
"I love buying advance tickets to stuff.  Since the money is already spent, by the time the show rolls around, it's like a perk, free show!"

Uhh, yeah, that's not quite how it works...

lemonlime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3079 on: July 01, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
My supervisor took her family out to dinner. When the bill came, she attempted to pay with her credit card, which was declined. She then used our department travel credit card to pay the bill. The internal fund manager identified this charge and questioned supervisor about it. The supervisor attempted to get the department to pay for her family dinner since her husband is out of work (he has a prescription drug addiction). A fund manager external to the department continued questioning this expense, refusing to approve payment for it, and the supervisor tried to get the internal fund manager to lie for her so that the supervisor would not have to repay the department for her family's restaurant meal. The internal fund manager informed department director of the situation (supervisor's boss). Director told supervisor to no longer use the travel card for anything but travel. I don't know if the department paid for the supervisor's family meal out or not.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3080 on: July 01, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »

I couldn't either, that sounds awful and lonely.

agreed!!! also I've realized lately with a new puppy that we have to keep an eye on, I'm SO glad our place is small because there are less places for her to sneak off and do naughty things.

bahahaha!! Sonorous Epithet I always love your posts :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3081 on: July 01, 2014, 11:20:37 AM »

This is essentially why high salary people tend not to be high savers. Because they earn so damn much they seem to think that lower priced items are completely useless, unless you are poor. Then when they show off things, they will make it a point to mention how much they are. There is a scene in the Indian movie 3 Idiots, where a guy says to a girl he fancies, "Guess how much his shoes are? Wait, he'll tell you." Then goes and drops water on the shoe causing the guy to yell out, "Careful, these are $___ shoes!"

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3082 on: July 01, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »
3 Idiots.  Good movie. :)

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #3083 on: July 01, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »

That will be an epic "FU" story you need to share. Can you record that convo with your boss? :-D

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3084 on: July 01, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »

That will be an epic "FU" story you need to share. Can you record that convo with your boss? :-D
Seconded you can borrow my gopro!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3085 on: July 01, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »

Seconded you can borrow my gopro!

Consider it done.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3086 on: July 01, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
One of the factory workers at my job bought a used M5...model year 2007-2011 probably.

Union factory workers start at $9/hr and get $0.35/hr/yr raises.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3087 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »
One of the factory workers at my job bought a used M5...model year 2007-2011 probably.

Obviously he has been living frugally and saving his $9/hr for a very long time to pay cash when he came across a really great deal for the car on CL.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3088 on: July 01, 2014, 09:40:48 PM »
If you can't afford a new BMW, you can't afford an old BMW.

And definitely not an M5...

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #3089 on: July 02, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »

This reminds me of waiting tables in LA the summer of '94. I was 18 and burned out on classes at local 4 year uni.  So I dialed it down for the summer: I waited tables PT and took Macro Econ for biz minor credit at a cheap community college.   During this time I observed the following:

"M", a 28 yr old full time waiter bought a new grass green Mazda Miata speedster fo $24k.
"J", a 35 yr old waiter took us all to drinks at nearby expensive bar after work one day to celebrate having just finished paying off his college student loan- from 15 years before.

By the time the fall semester rolled around I had a newfound enthusiasm for my engineering coursework.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3090 on: July 02, 2014, 03:46:47 AM »
He has 4 daughters, all of which are in acting school.

For the love of god, please tell me there is a fifth, youngest, "Cinderella" daughter who is planning to become an engineer or an accountant.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3091 on: July 02, 2014, 04:45:45 AM »

For the love of god, please tell me there is a fifth, youngest, "Cinderella" daughter who is planning to become an engineer or an accountant.

Crazy part is there are probably ok odds that one of them will at least half make it confirming that this was a good career path in each daughters eyes, "see Becky made it!".  I am sure 'making it' in Hollywood is like way totally hard but with daddy subsidizing life they can afford to stand at the plate swinging at pitches as long as they like.

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #3092 on: July 02, 2014, 05:43:51 AM »

Crazy part is there are probably ok odds that one of them will at least half make it confirming that this was a good career path in each daughters eyes, "see Becky made it!".  I am sure 'making it' in Hollywood is like way totally hard but with daddy subsidizing life they can afford to stand at the plate swinging at pitches as long as they like.

Well, as much as I think it's madness to shell out big bucks for that sort of thing, I have actually witnessed someone who made a go of it, kinda.

I dated a boy in high school who went on to study Drama at University.  He compounded his poor choice by selecting a bad University which was more generally known for it's agricultural program.  Oh, and he was a really bad actor.  I mean over the top bad.

Thirty years later he's a highish mid-level television producer.  So, with a bit of hard work and a bite of a reality sandwich, you can actually parlay an acting degree into something that pays the bills.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3093 on: July 02, 2014, 06:32:14 AM »
He compounded his poor choice by selecting a bad University which was more generally known for it's agricultural program.

Guelph's not that bad a University . . .

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3094 on: July 02, 2014, 06:53:36 AM »
If you can't afford a new BMW, you can't afford an old BMW.

And definitely not an M5...

Funny part was I made a comment to the owner that I needed a raise because obviously the factory guys are ballin' where as I am most certainly not.  He responded he needed a raise too then.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3095 on: July 02, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
Acting is not necessarily a bad career choice if you are good at it. Chances of becoming rich are not high but there are other places of employment besides big budget movies (theatre, TV, advertisements etc). Neither is classical music, by the way. I have several friends who are living a very good life with it. Not particularly rich, but more than enough with very flexible work schedules.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3096 on: July 02, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
I've got a ridiculously well paid internship (insurance).  Early on, I was in a group of people and rent came up - particularly, the fact that the internship used to provide housing until the year of one current employee's internship.  She bemoaned this fact and complained that she spent nearly all of her paycheck on rent.  (Mind you, she gestured to a building about a block away and said it was really convenient.  Probably a tiny but well maintained studio, and even scaling back her exageration to a "reasonable" amount she was probably paying $2000/month.)  I can only imagine she spent the rest of her money on expensive lunches given her current habits around the office (and such wastefulness!  She doesn't even keep the leftovers from the restaurants!  I find it absolutely ridiculous.)

Meanwhile I've got a room with some friends a bit further out for under $450 and will sock away at least 1/2 what I make this summer.

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #3097 on: July 02, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
He compounded his poor choice by selecting a bad University which was more generally known for it's agricultural program.

Guelph's not that bad a University . . .

I phrased it incorrectly.  I meant bad for his choice of study, not overall.

Scotch & CPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3098 on: July 02, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »
The "financial adviser," who looked to be in his 50s, answered "oh you should just pretty much put everything you can in the house fund, after all you're young, you have plenty of time to save fo
Thank God he added "Look at me, I'm a financial planner, and I just started saving for retirement now that my kids are done with college! My son is always making fun of me for it!" That pretty much convinced me not to listen to anything he had to say...

Sweet Jesus. How are we supposed to function as a society when people who are qualified to give financial advice dispense absolute shit like the above quote. I mean really. Fuck. Really?

I've noticed a recent trend around here suggesting that CPAs have no financial planning savvy.  It's probably just all the bad examples, but they're certainly living up to their "bean counter" reputation in these parts.

To be fair, you don't have to be a CPA to be a financial advisor. Actually, you need to pass only basic exams and be a motivated seller of mutual funds, or whatever else, to be a financial advisor. Most CPA's deal more with corporate finance, auditing, or taxes. That being said, I know a lot of very financially responsible and irresponsible CPAs. I would say on average for the profession, they tend to be more conservative.  The older CPA's that I know tend to have the 1 more year or just a little more syndrome, even though their houses and cars are paid for, and they have a very large savings for retirement.

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3099 on: July 02, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
The older CPA's that I know tend to have the 1 more year or just a little more syndrome, even though their houses and cars are paid for, and they have a very large savings for retirement.

Not this one.  I bailed the minute I could.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!