Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253007 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17200 on: April 19, 2017, 05:02:52 AM »
Tax season deadline in the US... every year I have to hear this, in a military (with contractors and civilians) environment:
  • Taxes are too damn high
  • Bad roads and infrastructure
  • IRS are assholes/thieves
  • Bitch Whine Moan
These are the same people who
  • buy used luxury cars/trucks on a 6 year loan
  • moan about the traffic (the metro is in the top 10-20 worst traffic rankings in North America)
  • whine that the Tampa and St. Pete Mayors spend public money to improve their downtowns yet they go downtown for the food/drink/art festivals and free parks
  • and stuff we Mustachians are used to hearing
Headphones ON, Music ON, Tune OUT.

There's a lot of stuff I respect and genuinely admire about military culture, like the loyalty and work ethic, but on some issues (see above) so many just don't get it... and what's with everyone loving soldiers/cops/first-responders/etc, and hating the IRS? They're just the soldiers and cops of the financial world, implementing policy created by legislators... don't like tax code, bitch to your Congressman. Meanwhile, obey the fuckin' law. And don't get me started on infrastructure. There's just nothing good to say about our collective myopia thereon. We cost ourselves more money in car damage and public health than we save by not inflation-indexing our gas tax, but NOOO MUH TAXEZZZ :P

/rant

Also, are military salaries not paid through taxes? If taxes were lower, wouldn't many of these people lose their jobs?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17201 on: April 19, 2017, 06:00:27 AM »
Tax season deadline in the US... every year I have to hear this, in a military (with contractors and civilians) environment:
  • Taxes are too damn high
  • Bad roads and infrastructure
  • IRS are assholes/thieves
  • Bitch Whine Moan
These are the same people who
  • buy used luxury cars/trucks on a 6 year loan
  • moan about the traffic (the metro is in the top 10-20 worst traffic rankings in North America)
  • whine that the Tampa and St. Pete Mayors spend public money to improve their downtowns yet they go downtown for the food/drink/art festivals and free parks
  • and stuff we Mustachians are used to hearing
Headphones ON, Music ON, Tune OUT.

There's a lot of stuff I respect and genuinely admire about military culture, like the loyalty and work ethic, but on some issues (see above) so many just don't get it... and what's with everyone loving soldiers/cops/first-responders/etc, and hating the IRS? They're just the soldiers and cops of the financial world, implementing policy created by legislators... don't like tax code, bitch to your Congressman. Meanwhile, obey the fuckin' law. And don't get me started on infrastructure. There's just nothing good to say about our collective myopia thereon. We cost ourselves more money in car damage and public health than we save by not inflation-indexing our gas tax, but NOOO MUH TAXEZZZ :P

/rant

Also, are military salaries not paid through taxes? If taxes were lower, wouldn't many of these people lose their jobs?
Understanding feedback loops is not part of the learning curriculum. Only life or a Control Theory book can teach you that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

When I've suggested to the BMWs (yes that's what I call BitchMoanWhiners) to email their local, state, federal reps, and that there's online sites for that, "Oh that's too damn hard". WTF they're online all day on Facebook and Youtube and Buzzfeed.

Myopia... misery loves company. Meanwhile I'm trying my hardest to FIRE the fuck outta here, despite the curve balls life throws at my personal and professional lives.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17202 on: April 19, 2017, 07:46:04 AM »
My colleague used to have a building company. He and his brother did all the work in buying building grounds and getting approvals. Everything except for the building itself, which they used their father for. His job was uncertain and planned to be cancelled in 2008. He was planning to make himself an alternative career. Eventually his real job was not cancelled anymore and he got too busy at it. Brother fucked himself up with narcotics and the father with the construction company died. So the whole thing is off.
He also told me he received a whole extra year salary to stay working at his job when it was so uncertain. This was from 2006 to 2008.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17203 on: April 19, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
A co-worker's wife's brand new Mercedes ($70,000 SUV) was hit by someone else and sustained extensive damage. Now that it's fixed, they want to get a different car. They want to sell it quick before the damage has a chance to hit the Carfax report and devalue the car. However, he doesn't have the $10,000 to float for the likely difference in the sale price and the balance of the loan. My co-worker also just bought a $100,000 BMW 750.  I was floored that they just bought $170,000 worth of cars but don't have 10k rattling around.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17204 on: April 19, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
I was floored that they just bought $170,000 worth of cars but don't have 10k rattling around.

Wowza. If this isn't a firm commitment to the clown-car commuting lifestyle, I don't know what is.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17205 on: April 19, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »
In my new role here there are a few people around me who get takeout food every day for lunch during the workweek. I realize that for this particular thread that is nothing worth posting about, but it has been particularly interesting for me because it highlights how most people at work don't buy food and most bring their own lunch. Thankfully it is just that way things are, so me bringing my lunch doesn't stand out but is totally normal. I would guess that by the nature of our work and industry, most people at work earn between $100-200k depending on how long they have been working.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #17206 on: April 19, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »
A co-worker's wife's brand new Mercedes ($70,000 SUV) was hit by someone else and sustained extensive damage. Now that it's fixed, they want to get a different car. They want to sell it quick before the damage has a chance to hit the Carfax report and devalue the car. However, he doesn't have the $10,000 to float for the likely difference in the sale price and the balance of the loan. My co-worker also just bought a $100,000 BMW 750.  I was floored that they just bought $170,000 worth of cars but don't have 10k rattling around.

Selling the car before the Carfax report is updated to hide the damage from the buyer is a pretty low-down, dirty thing to do. I'd be pretty ticked off someone did that to me. By deliberately concealing the wreck information, the seller is basically ripping the buyer off for the difference between the selling price and the car's actual value based on the Carfax report. The buyer wouldn't find out about the accident until he or she went to sell the vehicle and pulled the Carfax report.

Concealing damage to a vehicle or information that would dramatically affect its value is fraud by concealment. If the difference in value ends up being more than $1000 or so, and it easily could on a vehicle that expensive to begin with, that's a felony level crime. Is he seriously willing to do time because he "wants a different car"?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17207 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »

Selling the car before the Carfax report is updated to hide the damage from the buyer is a pretty low-down, dirty thing to do. I'd be pretty ticked off someone did that to me. By deliberately concealing the wreck information, the seller is basically ripping the buyer off for the difference between the selling price and the car's actual value based on the Carfax report. The buyer wouldn't find out about the accident until he or she went to sell the vehicle and pulled the Carfax report.

Concealing damage to a vehicle or information that would dramatically affect its value is fraud by concealment. If the difference in value ends up being more than $1000 or so, and it easily could on a vehicle that expensive to begin with, that's a felony level crime. Is he seriously willing to do time because he "wants a different car"?

While this is pretty shady, I think it is technically legal as long as the seller doesn't claim the vehicle has never been in an accident. Carfax is not the only way to determine if a vehicle has been in an accident. Any buyer should be having the vehicle inspected by a third party mechanic regardless of what the Carfax report says.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #17208 on: April 19, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
I was floored that they just bought $170,000 worth of cars but don't have 10k rattling around.

Any idea of their total income? Even an estimate?

With this sort of spendypants business going on I would assume that your coworker has several other antics that would fit on this thread.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17209 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »

While this is pretty shady, I think it is technically legal as long as the seller doesn't claim the vehicle has never been in an accident. Carfax is not the only way to determine if a vehicle has been in an accident. Any buyer should be having the vehicle inspected by a third party mechanic regardless of what the Carfax report says.
I had a 2006 that needed frame repair and the replacement part was laser cut with precision. When my car came out of the shop it was almost impossible to tell work was done. I'm not saying that makes it okay but I think most people still think of frame damage as something that means the car is never the same.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17210 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:13 PM »

Any idea of their total income? Even an estimate?

With this sort of spendypants business going on I would assume that your coworker has several other antics that would fit on this thread.
I think their combined income is in the neighborhood of 400k.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17211 on: April 19, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
In my new role here there are a few people around me who get takeout food every day for lunch during the workweek. I realize that for this particular thread that is nothing worth posting about, but it has been particularly interesting for me because it highlights how most people at work don't buy food and most bring their own lunch. Thankfully it is just that way things are, so me bringing my lunch doesn't stand out but is totally normal. I would guess that by the nature of our work and industry, most people at work earn between $100-200k depending on how long they have been working.

It's not even that bad when they make that much. People where I work still buy food and some make as little as $10.50 an hour, or 21k a year before overtime. Granted, it's stuff like Taco Bell and McDonald's, or maybe Zaxby's, but still $5 minimum...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17212 on: April 19, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

It's not even that bad when they make that much. People where I work still buy food and some make as little as $10.50 an hour, or 21k a year before overtime. Granted, it's stuff like Taco Bell and McDonald's, or maybe Zaxby's, but still $5 minimum...

That shit adds up! I started meal prepping and one of my favorite things to make is a chicken burrito bowl. It has black beans, rice, vegetables, chicken, shredded cheese, and salsa and like 4 meals is under $10 and tastes way better than Taco Bell and is loads healthier.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17213 on: April 19, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »

Withholding information that you should reasonably believe would change the mind of the buyer can still be considered fraud, if I recall my business law classes correctly.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #17214 on: April 19, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »

If their goal is to not reveal something that might devalue the car, then admitting it's been in an accident will drive down the value just the same as the Carfax report would, and there would be no benefit to concealing the Carfax information.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17215 on: April 19, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

This reminds me of a director at my job. He bought a Mercedes and she bought an Infiniti. Turns out, she liked his car more than hers. So they just bought another Mercedes. And kept the Infiniti.

I just.. 3 cars... 2 drivers... Aaahhh!!!

The best part? He does FINANCIAL ANALYSIS for a living.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17216 on: April 19, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »

This reminds me of a director at my job. He bought a Mercedes and she bought an Infiniti. Turns out, she liked his car more than hers. So they just bought another Mercedes. And kept the Infiniti.

I just.. 3 cars... 2 drivers... Aaahhh!!!

The best part? He does FINANCIAL ANALYSIS for a living.

Meh, I do FINANCIAL ANALYSIS for a living too, and we have 3 cars for 2 drivers.  One of them is a fun car.  I guess the difference is, my two cars are long paid for, and have a combined value of probably half the Mercedes or Infiniti.  I got 2 cars by buying one, paying it off, and keeping it when I bought the second one instead of trading it.  No regrets.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17217 on: April 19, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »

So you think caveat emptor applies here? I think if I went to civil court and such an activity was found (after an accident the car was quickly sold), the judge or peers would employ caveat venditor and say that whether it was intentional or not, the seller should be liable for the price differential that withholding that information incurred.

Edit: I was able to find one court applying caveat venditor to used car sales in Kentury. http://law.justia.com/cases/kentucky/court-of-appeals/1954/268-s-w-2d-627-1.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:58:34 PM by kayvent »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17218 on: April 19, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
That shit adds up! I started meal prepping and one of my favorite things to make is a chicken burrito bowl. It has black beans, rice, vegetables, chicken, shredded cheese, and salsa and like 4 meals is under $10 and tastes way better than Taco Bell and is loads healthier.

Totally agree. Even at $5 a pop you are talking ~$1,250 a year. for someone making ~$21k/yr, that's 5% of your salary. I'll have to try your burrito bowl idea, I typically just eat leftovers or bring a sandwich for lunch.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17219 on: April 20, 2017, 05:57:56 AM »

Totally agree. Even at $5 a pop you are talking ~$1,250 a year. for someone making ~$21k/yr, that's 5% of your salary. I'll have to try your burrito bowl idea, I typically just eat leftovers or bring a sandwich for lunch.

Yep, but I think a lot of them spend more than that. They also get stuff out of the vending machine, sometimes multiple times a day. A soda is $1.50 and some snacks are $1.00. A lot of people make more than $21k with overtime or positions that pay slightly more, but still no where near the salaries people make on this forum, and we all bring our lunches. One guy told me he gets extra food from taco bell to save for later, so I imagine some could be spending $7-9 easily.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17220 on: April 20, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »

Let me know if you have any questions, the only thing I don't know how to do is make the salsa that I use as it's my mom's recipe and I haven't bothered to learn it yet. I absolutely love this dish and it's very easy to make.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17221 on: April 20, 2017, 09:26:51 AM »
This was at my previous job. We had a board of Directors meeting, and I happened to be sitting in the break room when a couple of the Directors came in, and one of them opened the fridge and took out a brown bag lunch.

I was just thinking to myself that he's pretty frugal, when he starts telling the other guy that he has his lunch made by a service that delivers it to his door in Manhattan every morning...and it only costs $45 a day!

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17222 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
This was at my previous job. We had a board of Directors meeting, and I happened to be sitting in the break room when a couple of the Directors came in, and one of them opened the fridge and took out a brown bag lunch.

I was just thinking to myself that he's pretty frugal, when he starts telling the other guy that he has his lunch made by a service that delivers it to his door in Manhattan every morning...and it only costs $45 a day!

*picks jaw up from floor*

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17223 on: April 20, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »

Wait, what!?!?  Is that just for lunch or also breakfast and dinner for a day?  Our family of 3 can typically eat a meal out at an actual restaurant for less than that, including a big tip!  I wonder if he charges it as a business/work expense?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17224 on: April 20, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »

Yeah, I think I need to get in on this business.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #17225 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »

I know you're not joking, but I can't help but think you're joking. This messes with my world view so bad.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17226 on: April 20, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
There are tons of high-end/boutique lunch delivery services in Manhattan and I don't think I've ever seen one that cost more than $20 a meal. Maybe that's for more than one person? :-/  Let's hope.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17227 on: April 20, 2017, 11:37:22 AM »
My average living expenses are less than $45 a day, including health insurance (which is cheap for me), rent, everything. :/ Not including years with unexpected expenses like a car of course.

Maybe it's for all 3 meals...I'll just pretend it's that so I don't feel as sad.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17228 on: April 20, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »

*has to go down 6 stairs to the cellar to find it*

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17229 on: April 20, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
I wonder if it really costs like $15 but his assistant (presuming he has one) says its $45 and pockets the difference. That would be $150 a week, or $7800 a year tax-free.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17230 on: April 20, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
I recall some services that were aimed at dieting being advertised when I lived in NYC for about $45/day.  It was for 3 meals and 2 snacks so I'm guessing at that price it isn't just lunch.

ETA:  Yup found it, ZoneManhattan 14 day plan $42.95+ tax.  Go for 31 days it's only $37.95+tax.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:40:29 PM by neverrun »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17231 on: April 20, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Anyone who is not looking for a new job when they are eligible to retire is lying (pension position).

My thoughts, unless they actually are planning to retire.

No, I know a guy who is less than 2 months away from a 100% pension. He could have retired (easily) a decade ago. If he retired at the end of this month (gotta be end of month), he'd get a 99.8%

However, if you actually do the math: He has been literally paying to work therefor years - because the pension payment doesn't have 10% taken out to fund the pension (paycheck does) and the pension payment doesn't have SSI taken out either - another 7.5%

This guy could walk out the door, and his pension would be 17.3% higher than his current paycheck. And he has the same medical for life.

Now, it will probably be slightly less because the pension is based on your "high 3 years" - and he probably got a few percent bump within the last 3 years. Still. Walk away, make 15% more. And you don't have to work. Or you can do something else. Whatever.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17232 on: April 20, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
I recall some services that were aimed at dieting being advertised when I lived in NYC for about $45/day.  It was for 3 meals and 2 snacks so I'm guessing at that price it isn't just lunch.

ETA:  Yup found it, ZoneManhattan 14 day plan $42.95+ tax.  Go for 31 days it's only $37.95+tax.

That's quite possible. I was still sitting there figuring out how many lunches I can make for $45 after he left. It came to 24 lunches, and that's using the more expensive meat from the Wegmans deli.

The last time I bought lunch in Manhattan was in December, and we found a hole-in-the-wall pizza joint where we got $1/slice pizza and a can of soda for $1.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17233 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »

That's quite possible. I was still sitting there figuring out how many lunches I can make for $45 after he left. It came to 24 lunches, and that's using the more expensive meat from the Wegmans deli.

The last time I bought lunch in Manhattan was in December, and we found a hole-in-the-wall pizza joint where we got $1/slice pizza and a can of soda for $1.

Those places are everywhere.  It's really convenient to be able to get a couple slices of pizza and a drink in such a generally expensive area for $3.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17234 on: April 21, 2017, 05:37:29 AM »

Those places are everywhere.  It's really convenient to be able to get a couple slices of pizza and a drink in such a generally expensive area for $3.

Yup worked there for 8 years, get to go back on business at least once a year.  I roll my eyes at my co-workers who complain about the expense.  Yes since I get per diem I likely will pay $10 for lunch and $20 for dinner but I could easily find a $3-5 place without much trouble.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #17235 on: April 21, 2017, 06:43:18 AM »
"I spend $20 a week on groceries."

My friend at work has a young family of four! I'm in the process of learning from her just how she does it!!

(We're allowed to post positive things on here I hope?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17236 on: April 21, 2017, 06:52:35 AM »

My friend at work has a young family of four! I'm in the process of learning from her just how she does it!!

Super impressive.  We must know more!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17237 on: April 21, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »

Technically the most appropriate place would be in the anti-antimustachian thread:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-the-anti-antimustachian-edition/

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17238 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »

Let me know if you have any questions, the only thing I don't know how to do is make the salsa that I use as it's my mom's recipe and I haven't bothered to learn it yet. I absolutely love this dish and it's very easy to make.

I've been using warmed low fat refried beans mixed with a little water, I mix shredded cheese to the beans after it is warmed. Pace organic salsa, mixing shredded lettuce with peas and chopped celentro. I then take my favorite chip, put a little refried beans, a little salsa and put the lettuce mixture on top. It is a little messy, but a leisurely snack that will fill you up. We had some guacamole the other day, I spread some of that on too.
 I add a little of our homegrown hot peppers to the salsa. I only use the Pace because my wife stocked up on it, and it's good!
 I think this would also be good wrapped up in a tortilla.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:04:35 PM by BTDretire »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17239 on: April 21, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »

Could go either way - "Actually super easy  - we usually get takeout!"

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17240 on: April 21, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »

I use this one: http://iowagirleats.com/2014/08/29/easy-homemade-burrito-bowls/

This one talks about how to split the bowls into warm and cold for optimal reheating: http://gimmedelicious.com/2017/01/07/meal-prep-chicken-burrito-bowls/

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17241 on: April 21, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »

[/quote]

That's what I was wondering too. Let us know if you find out more!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #17242 on: April 21, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »

That's what I was wondering too. Let us know if you find out more!
[/quote]

I am also wondering!!! I'll post an update as soon as I have one :) She wasn't super forthcoming on the details, but I believe she is not exaggerating. Her husband is unemployed and she works part-time. She's a frugal master.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #17243 on: April 21, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
Anyone who is not looking for a new job when they are eligible to retire is lying (pension position).

No, I know a guy who is less than 2 months away from a 100% pension. He could have retired (easily) a decade ago. If he retired at the end of this month (gotta be end of month), he'd get a 99.8%

However, if you actually do the math: He has been literally paying to work therefor years - because the pension payment doesn't have 10% taken out to fund the pension (paycheck does) and the pension payment doesn't have SSI taken out either - another 7.5%

This guy could walk out the door, and his pension would be 17.3% higher than his current paycheck. And he has the same medical for life.

Now, it will probably be slightly less because the pension is based on your "high 3 years" - and he probably got a few percent bump within the last 3 years. Still. Walk away, make 15% more. And you don't have to work. Or you can do something else. Whatever.

I worked with a guy who absolutely hated his job, really truly hated to come to work every day.  He was eligible for a pension of 70% of his pay and there'd be no fica or union dues or parking and he still wouldn't retire because he'd be short $30 a week after doing all the calculations. He was a life insurance actuary - he knew the risk of early death and still wouldn't leave until his pension matched his pay!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17244 on: April 22, 2017, 12:52:20 AM »
I worked with a guy who absolutely hated his job, really truly hated to come to work every day.  He was eligible for a pension of 70% of his pay and there'd be no fica or union dues or parking and he still wouldn't retire because he'd be short $30 a week after doing all the calculations. He was a life insurance actuary - he knew the risk of early death and still wouldn't leave until his pension matched his pay!

That is brutal.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17245 on: April 22, 2017, 01:51:58 AM »

Three ways this is possible come to mind:

Like my cousins who farm, a lot of food is made / preserved on farm, and they only need to buy milk and a few other things weekly.  (Buy and butcher meat once per year, so that doesn't count in weekly budget, buy in bulk from Amazon for flour, etc)

Like my SIL saying they only spent $150 per month (family of 4) at the time when grandma was providing full time child care -- Grandma was buying 70% of the grocery bill for the house, because there was no food to serve the kids and she had a costco membership.  SIL was only buying things like rice and some of the veg, maybe a little fresh meat now and then.  All the breakfast foods, eggs, bread, yogurt, cheese, packaged food, lunches, and most of the food for dinner was bought by her.

Like my DH -- he spends $20 a week on groceries, and a lot on eating out lunches.. and  I spend the remaining $150 per week on groceries...!   

:-)  I hope it is more of the first than the last.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17246 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »
I have a coworker who's very close to retirement.    Tthe other day, I overheard her ask "Wait, what's the difference between a defined benefit pension and a defined contribution pension?   And which one do we have?"

Siiiigh.   I could almost understand it if she were a youngster just starting out, but this is important stuff that is going to affect her REALLY soon!

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #17247 on: April 22, 2017, 05:04:59 PM »

That is brutal.

The worst part was he had a 45 minute commute each way.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17248 on: April 23, 2017, 02:27:27 AM »
That is brutal.
The worst part was he had a 45 minute commute each way.

Were costs of working included in his calculations? There are very few people who have a free 45 minute commute. Or people who work in insurance who don't have to buy fancy work clothes.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17249 on: April 23, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »

We basically have a building full of people like this at work.  The problem is that they need 100% of their current salary to maintain their lifestyle.