Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252916 times)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2750 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:06 AM »
So, I've retired twice from the same place.  The first time I got NADA.  Nothing.  No one took me to lunch, so I just left.  Later they called me back to work part time.  After three years of that I sent in my second retirement letter.  About a month later I got a nice plaque and a card signed by the people who were working there at the time.  Of course it came by mail...

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2751 on: June 01, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »
In my work place retirements are celebrated extensively. How extensively depends a bit from the final position in the department. When one of the project leaders retired (he was 62) we had a celebratory lecture by him followed by a small party with cakes, beer, wine and presents for the guy. We all collected some money for presents (cake and wine are brought by the guy leaving), head of the department gave a speech etc. When a lab technician retires he/she usually invites people they have worked with during the years and generally people they like to a small party in the coffee corner again providing food and drinks, but collecting presents in return. Not mandatory of course, but almost all people do. In fact almost everyone does it when they leave, doesn't necessarily have to be retirement. If it's someone really important then it would be organised officially with everyone invited.

Actually we are quite good at celebrating things here. For every major achievement (new product on the market, for example) or just a stage gate there would be a picnic organised on company grounds, the core team might be invited for a dinner to a fancy restaurant etc. Sometimes they would also distribute extra vouchers one could spend in local shops (non-food).

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #2752 on: June 01, 2014, 07:41:50 AM »
Monday is my last day (hooray!) and I am officially retiring.  Yesterday one of my coworkers told me, "You'll be back in a month begging for your job back because you'll be so bored."  My (tightly restrained) response:  "I don't think so."

Really surprised by the jealousy, nastiness, gloom, and general pessimism my retirement has stirred up at my work place.  One person took me out to lunch.  Everyone else seems to be pretending it's not happening.  Makes me even happier to be leaving.

Congratulations! At the very least, the experience shows you (if you didn't already know) who the good ones were.

blackomen

• Stubble
  • Antifragile since 1983
    • Gimme Serendipity (a Stumbleupon Clone)
« Reply #2753 on: June 01, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
My fiancee had this conversation with a coworker shortly after we got engaged -

Coworker: Congrats!  I hope he's financially secure.  What car does he drive?
Fiancee: A 1999 Honda Civic.
Coworker: What???  That doesn't look really good.  So what kind of work does he do?
Fiancee: He's a analyst for a Hedge Fund.

The coworker was speechless after that...

And no, contrary to what you might read in the media, I only make roughly the median US salary.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #2754 on: June 01, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
In my work place retirements are celebrated extensively.
Military retirement ceremonies are such a big deal that my spouse and I actually found them to be too stressful.  When our turns came, we politely declined... and then disappeared early on our last day in the office.

Some of our chains of command were insistent about following the tradition, or that we'd change our minds and resent the bosses for not talking us into having a ceremony, or that we were missing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, or that we were somehow disrespecting their professional skill at executing a retirement ceremony.  We had several lectures about "closure" and "paying respects" and "saying goodbyes".  I saw the whole thing as a huge time-wasting hassle, and there was no way that I wanted to be up on a stage in dress whites spending hours of my valuable liberty following a script instead of having fun.

Besides, I'd seen one or two steely-eyed killers of the deep get just a little teary-eyed from the sound track and the emotional impact of the moment.  I wasn't going to take that risk, either...

You know, I *just* finished The Way We Never Were by Stephanie Coontz (on your recommendation, I think?) and that was an interesting part of the book.  How we moved towards this "nuclear family" model and it doesn't always work out best.
Glad you enjoyed it!  That was a real eye-opener on our short-term appreciation for cultural history.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2755 on: June 01, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »
We have only had a few people leave (voluntarily) while I have been at my current employer, was always a good lunch out attended by everyone and a nice gift or two.  I imagine my perfect retirement day would be the group lunch then bumming a ride to the airport to start a round the world trip paid for with airline miles staying in hostels and only taking what I could carry on my back.  That feeling of freedom would have to be off the carts, then to have your first-post-career-morning be in Fiji....

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2756 on: June 01, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
Thanks so much for all of the support, all!  My MIL can be a pain at times, but she summed it up:  "Fuck them!  We'll have cake and our own celebration!"  :-)

Congrats!!! Too bad for your (former!) coworkers that they can't be glad about it or at least take some inspiration to better their own situation. I'm slowly beginning to realize a big part of being happy in life is knowing how to have your own party and disregard the personal inability of others to participate in being happy with you. Enjoy the cake!!

Re: thread topic: I hear some pretty defeatist things at work about how much a person 'needs', i.e. about lifestyle inflation. My previous job at a fancy grocery paid quite a lot less, and my coworkers then still somehow scraped by. If I admit what I budget for food, people gape and assume I'm starving ($95 means not only do I not starve, I have an imported cheese affinity I still get to indulge.) The other day in line I heard a coworker telling another he 'needed' $300-500/mo. for groceries for himself alone and lamenting how expensive food has gotten - turns out he shops almost exclusively at my aforementioned former workplace.

The lack of perspective among the relatively high-income is what baffles me - do you think it's ever occurred to him or the masses like him that the people working where he shops, living in the same area, make maybe half as much and still, somehow, eat?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2757 on: June 02, 2014, 02:01:23 AM »
Military retirement ceremonies...

One more mandatory formation...

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2758 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
Sorry for my rant if I just "don't get it" being young. But it seems like some posters are upset they did not get a retirement party or recognition at work before they left. I guess my POV is you finally achieved FI, and all they other people at work have not...therefore they are still working. So you expect people that do not have FI to spend money on you? I don't get it.

Although I would understand some nice words or a card after years of working with people.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2759 on: June 02, 2014, 10:23:22 AM »
     I've been talking to the guys at work about finances lately and I've come to realize that out of the 40 or so regular people I work with there are exactly 2 that I know of that have even a clue about the subject of investing. So, recently at a Union meeting I brought up that I'd like to have a financial representative from our annuity plan come in and give a presentation on how the plan works and what you can invest in.
     Many people balked at the idea because no one really understands it. I said that I understood it and so should everyone else. I then asked for a show of hands as to who knew the difference between a mutual fund, an index fund and a money market account....not one hand went up. Some of these guys have been contributing for over 20 years and have no clue where their money is invested! They were mortified to find out that investing is one of those things that you must self educate yourself about.

I would struggle to verbally answer the question as to the difference between a mutual fund, an index fund and a money market account. I know somewhat, but not enough to try and articulate it. That said, all I care about is whether I'm getting a good return and whether my investments are diversified at the risk level I'm willing to accept at this point in my life. You don't actually need to know a whole lot about the specifics of investing to achieve that through your retirement account. Most retirement investing through employer-provided accounts allows you to pick funds by answering a few questions about what you want and where you want to be at retirement. You then choose the funds which are recommended, and ignore it until you need the money. While I'm sure educating yourself and picking investments for maximum return may be a challenge some people want to take on, you don't need to get into specifics to be able to achieve a decent return on your retirement accounts. The important thing is that you're contributing sufficiently.

Obviously, if you want to invest beyond what is provided by your employer, then you should work to educate yourself on more specifics of choosing funds, diversifying, managing risk, etc.

With all due respect to you...one of the cardinal rules of investing is "if you dont understand what you are investing in, dont invest in it". You are leaving too much in the hands of others. This info is not complicated and is all over the web. Good luck
Or, you pay someone else to do the work for you.
I know, I know, not exactly mustachian. I have a very good friend who makes a living as an investment advisor.

Hope his name isn't madoff...

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2760 on: June 02, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
Sorry for my rant if I just "don't get it" being young. But it seems like some posters are upset they did not get a retirement party or recognition at work before they left.

I think it's less wanting a big party or lots of recognition and more expecting people not to be resentful/negative.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2761 on: June 02, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Sorry for my rant if I just "don't get it" being young. But it seems like some posters are upset they did not get a retirement party or recognition at work before they left. I guess my POV is you finally achieved FI, and all they other people at work have not...therefore they are still working. So you expect people that do not have FI to spend money on you? I don't get it.

Although I would understand some nice words or a card after years of working with people.

I'm 45 (is that oldish?) and I agree. I couldn't care less if I get a card or recognition when I finally quit at FI (in about 4 years, I hope). But then I don't socialize much with my coworkers. I guess it depends on the work environment. To me, retirement ceremonies make sense for something like the military (if you want one), because you are actually ending at a recognized date (20 years) and are receiving the official perks of "retiring." Plus, the military for all its flaws does have some nice traditions (being piped out when you retire, tough men crying and thanking their wives, I love it).

Nevertheless, I can't imagine the awkwardness of people celebrating my "retirement" when I leave work and others are struggling with past money issues or other issues that I don't have to deal with (medical, supporting older parents, etc.). So, I'll gently go, perhaps with a link to MMM stuck on my desk (if MMM is still active then!) or a list of books if someone asks me, but a party? No way.

Perhaps you're just one of the engineer types that just doesn't get involved with your coworkers.  ;-) 

In most workplaces it's traditional for coworkers to celebrate important milestones together:  baby showers, 10 and 20 year work anniversaries, weddings, retirement, etc.  It doesn't have to involve an outlay of cash.  Often the employer organizes a celebration if it's work-related, like work anniversaries and retirement, and sometimes co-workers organize it if it's more personal (weddings, baby showers, etc.). 

When you're part of a group that celebrates things together, it can be hurtful when one of your very important milestones is ignored, or, worse, when it incites jealousy, bitterness, etc.  This is one of the many occasions when I find it helpful not to take things personally.  :-)

I think it's less wanting a big party or lots of recognition and more expecting people not to be resentful/negative.

Yes. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2762 on: June 02, 2014, 12:25:50 PM »

It's not about money or presents at all, it's about recognition from people with whom you have worked for years (sometimes decades). Some double as friends anyway… I believe it's good for general morale and positive working environment for those not leaving. I've never heard anyone expressing jealousy about it. Albeit I haven't seen anyone here retire early either. People are leaving either for a standard retirement (60+) or for other jobs.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2763 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:34 PM »
Monday is my last day (hooray!) and I am officially retiring.  Yesterday one of my coworkers told me, "You'll be back in a month begging for your job back because you'll be so bored."  My (tightly restrained) response:  "I don't think so."
Really surprised by the jealousy, nastiness, gloom, and general pessimism my retirement has stirred up at my work place.  One person took me out to lunch.  Everyone else seems to be pretending it's not happening.  Makes me even happier to be leaving.
Retirement has a way of separating your friends from your co-workers...

Thanks so much for all of the support, all!  My MIL can be a pain at times, but she summed it up:  "Fuck them!  We'll have cake and our own celebration!"  :-)

You should be proud of yourself breaking away from the herd like that.  I gave a retirement lunch for a CWr Friday and another recently retired CWr was there too.  She thanked me so much for encouraging her to check out retiring.  I told her what to look for and said "you can do it!"  She did and still can't get that grin off her face.  She says she is so very happy.

My problem though in encouraging them is that I have had 5 retirements in 4 years, from an office with only 6 left!  Pretty soon I won't have any left.  I'm next though!!!!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2764 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
I am dreading whatever retirement event my work will feel obligated to provide.

I am utterly sick of the retirement events for others leaving and I would just like to leave without a party. But I also recognize that, generally speaking, a simple retirement event is part of work life. And what I mean by "simple " is a sheet cake, purchased by the company, and where a few people come to chat and say goodbye. I am pleased to see that at my work we are finally scaling these things down to a 2 hour party with cake. At one time it was a BIG GIANT event with a dinner at a restaurant that I had to pay for and attend on my own time. No, I don't think that's appropriate.

I had one employee who I liked well enough to honor his request for no party. That's the only person I've ever honored that way. Everyone else is required to have a small event, tiny though it may be. :) and of course there are the attention hogs who have to have a party. One jerk "retired" and had a big party with tons of presents, and then the following week went to his new full time job. I never understood that other than he was an attention hog.

I think it is great when people throw their own retirement party for freinds, family, and co-workers at their own expense, that seems very nice. But to put that burden on managers at work (I are one!) no no no no nope, don't do that to me.

No freaking presents, for god's sake. ugh.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2765 on: June 02, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
The company or boss should give a present as an appreciation for the employees hard work, not coworkers??

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2766 on: June 02, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »
The company or boss should give a present as an appreciation for the employees hard work, not coworkers??

Yes, but you would be surprised at the number of coworkers who give presents to the retiree here. I think that is silly.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2767 on: June 02, 2014, 08:17:19 PM »

Yes, but you would be surprised at the number of coworkers who give presents to the retiree here. I think that is silly.

I don't think so, but then again, I'm not always for giving a gift because one has to.

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #2768 on: June 02, 2014, 10:17:55 PM »
I've been enjoying this thread for a while and thought I'd pipe in.  So many come to mind, but a classic one happened a few years ago.  I was an associate at a large law firm and a senior associate, making in the mid- to high- 200 thousands was complaining about the dismal bonuses.  Hers was probably in the range of $40-50k that year.  She didn't know how she was going to make all of her payments and decided to take out a loan to cover her living expenses.  Mind you, she was married to another working lawyer with no children.  I'm not sure where all of that cash was going- - but I almost had a heart attack when she was complaining about bonuses.  Perspective, people!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2769 on: June 03, 2014, 05:26:44 AM »
I've been enjoying this thread for a while and thought I'd pipe in.  So many come to mind, but a classic one happened a few years ago.  I was an associate at a large law firm and a senior associate, making in the mid- to high- 200 thousands was complaining about the dismal bonuses.  Hers was probably in the range of $40-50k that year.  She didn't know how she was going to make all of her payments and decided to take out a loan to cover her living expenses.  Mind you, she was married to another working lawyer with no children.  I'm not sure where all of that cash was going- - but I almost had a heart attack when she was complaining about bonuses.  Perspective, people!

(emphasis above added)

I agree with you that people in certain high-paying industries and with big bonuses lose perspective.  For the past 12 years, I have worked in one of those industries and every year at bonus time, I calculate how long someone making minimum wage would have to work to earn my bonus.  It's sobering and helps me remain grateful, even in lean(er) bonus years.

Of course, this is my last week before moving to the non-profit world, so goodbye bonuses!  It was fun while it lasted.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2770 on: June 03, 2014, 06:22:31 AM »
I agree with you that people in certain high-paying industries and with big bonuses lose perspective.  For the past 12 years, I have worked in one of those industries and every year at bonus time, I calculate how long someone making minimum wage would have to work to earn my bonus.  It's sobering and helps me remain grateful, even in lean(er) bonus years.

It would be great if that came automatically on the pay stub, much like the credit card statements now say "if you only paid the minimum, it would take you 5 years to pay this off".

(My bonuses lately have been in the mid 4 figures after tax, so they don't really impact my overall financial life, though they've probably cumulatively shortened the mortgage by about a year.)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2771 on: June 03, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »

I work for the state. I don't even have standard things like an office kitchen. The state can't give retirement presents or it might be written up in the herald (and the public would object), plus there's no money for it.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2772 on: June 03, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »
I was in the car with a new hire for a bit the other day. He is at the director level so he makes probably 20-40k a year more than me.

We started to talk briefly about finances and I made the comment that I try to save 1/2 of what I make. His eyes bugged out of his head and said that he and his wife (who also works) live paycheck to paycheck.  I asked what he spends so much money on and he said his rent is 5k a month for a 3 bedroom apartment overlooking the city.  He has no kids.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2773 on: June 03, 2014, 09:41:01 AM »
he said his rent is 5k a month for a 3 bedroom apartment overlooking the city.
Ha!  That'll do it.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2774 on: June 03, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »

(emphasis above added)

Of course, this is my last week before moving to the non-profit world, so goodbye bonuses!  It was fun while it lasted.

Just the idea of getting a 5-figure bonus makes me weak in the knees. I work for the Federal government as an attorney. At year-end, we do get "bonuses" but they're in the 3-figures, which is still better than a kick in the head. My aunt found out that we got a bonus and started complaining because that was her tax dollars, so why should a Federal employee get a bonus? God forbid we actually get rewarded individually for doing good work for the American people. I wanted to slap her. As an attorney, I'm not unionized, get zero overtime for doing work beyond 40 hours per week (which always happens), and am located in a city that was supposed to get locality pay last year because we make far less than the private sector, but didn't because the Office of Personnel Management failed to do the paperwork. So I'll take my $700, thank you.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2775 on: June 03, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »

(emphasis above added)

Just the idea of getting a 5-figure bonus makes me weak in the knees. I work for the Federal government as an attorney. At year-end, we do get "bonuses" but they're in the 3-figures, which is still better than a kick in the head.

I work for a state government.  Here the words "bonus" aren't even whispered.  Ahh, I remember the day of being annoyed I exceeded expectations for the law firm, and was told it was one of the best reviews of my 100+ yearmates, but bonuses were capped at half of the prior years (and w/o the additional $10k they got that year for exceeding hours).  My bonus was still $17k that year, but darned if I didn't find it frustrating it wasn't $45k...

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2776 on: June 03, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »

(emphasis above added)

Just the idea of getting a 5-figure bonus makes me weak in the knees. I work for the Federal government as an attorney. At year-end, we do get "bonuses" but they're in the 3-figures, which is still better than a kick in the head.

I work for a state government.  Here the words "bonus" aren't even whispered.  Ahh, I remember the day of being annoyed I exceeded expectations for the law firm, and was told it was one of the best reviews of my 100+ yearmates, but bonuses were capped at half of the prior years (and w/o the additional $10k they got that year for exceeding hours).  My bonus was still $17k that year, but darned if I didn't find it frustrating it wasn't $45k...
It's such a strange dichotomy that government work.  My wife is an attorney for the state and she gets scrimped on the most random things that I take for granted in the private sector.  On one hand there's an unbelievable amount of waste in government, but in almost any individual employment situation, it's tight budgets and no bonuses and no pay raises, etc.  She actually had her pay decreased by $10k a few years back before getting it increased by $15k after that.  Just depends on what's in the budget for her little sub-corner of the .gov world.  Meanwhile there's almost no turnover at her job which is weird because it looks like a pretty shitty work environment from my perspective.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2777 on: June 03, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »

(emphasis above added)

It's such a strange dichotomy that government work.  My wife is an attorney for the state and she gets scrimped on the most random things that I take for granted in the private sector.  On one hand there's an unbelievable amount of waste in government, but in almost any individual employment situation, it's tight budgets and no bonuses and no pay raises, etc.  She actually had her pay decreased by $10k a few years back before getting it increased by $15k after that.  Just depends on what's in the budget for her little sub-corner of the .gov world.  Meanwhile there's almost no turnover at her job which is weird because it looks like a pretty shitty work environment from my perspective.

Yeah.  I consider a kitchen actually a non-necessity - but a lack of a SINK is one in my eyes and makes being mustachian and bringing in food from home much harder w/o the chance to wash out plates/tupperware etc.  (Not keen at all on using the bathroom sink - and they have grates to prevent food from going down them.)  I, along with many coworkers, bring in my own supplies like pens in to work.  I have a computer with a non-supported system because it's so old now (yet we're required to save every email we ever get...on antiquated full servers).  We have a mice issue in the building, but no exterminators ever come by.  And yet - my dept, health care related, has a billion dollar budget.  That's right, B.  Now of course, right of the bat, know that it's actually really say $500 million, because we get federal financial participation with matching dollars), but still, sounds large and like we're wasting money...

Numbers Man

« Reply #2778 on: June 03, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
I was in the car with a new hire for a bit the other day. He is at the director level so he makes probably 20-40k a year more than me.

We started to talk briefly about finances and I made the comment that I try to save 1/2 of what I make. His eyes bugged out of his head and said that he and his wife (who also works) live paycheck to paycheck.  I asked what he spends so much money on and he said his rent is 5k a month for a 3 bedroom apartment overlooking the city.  He has no kids.

I guess that puts an interesting spin on the term "location, location, location".

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2779 on: June 03, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »
Well today just adds to the cake. I found out he has a storage container.

So to recap. 3 bedroom apartment. 1 married couple. No children. Storage unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2780 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »

Congratulations! At the very least, the experience shows you (if you didn't already know) who the good ones were.

Just had to come back and post a follow-up.  This morning I was doing a celebratory dance with my nine-year-old to the song "Let Me Clear My Throat" and I heard and felt my hip snap followed by terrible pain and I thought, "Son of a bitch, I broke a hip on my first day of retirement!"  The thought was so funny I was yelling "Ow, Ow, that really hurts" and at
 the same time laughing hysterically and decided just to keep dancing. 

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2781 on: June 03, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »
Broken hip already lol!! I've heardone of people falling apart after retirement but damn that was quick!

jordanread

« Reply #2782 on: June 04, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
Just had to come back and post a follow-up.  This morning I was doing a celebratory dance with my nine-year-old to the song "Let Me Clear My Throat" and I heard and felt my hip snap followed by terrible pain and I thought, "Son of a bitch, I broke a hip on my first day of retirement!"  The thought was so funny I was yelling "Ow, Ow, that really hurts" and at
 the same time laughing hysterically and decided just to keep dancing.

I damn near spit my coffee all over my monitor because of that mental image. Hope it's just a "freedom pang" and not something that would really suck.

p.s. I just made up freedom pang, but I decided it means that touch of soreness from using your retirement muscles instead of your career muscles. :-) You'll get used to it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2783 on: June 04, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
A coworker sent me a link to an article about a thrift store in my town having a closeout sale and asked if I had ever been to the store.  Told her no, but I've been meaning to check it out, so I think we're both going to go tomorrow.  Other than her coming to my party the other weekend, we haven't done anything outside of work together, but I'd say this is a good start!  Oh, and she bikes to work most days (and I don't).  :)  Yep, I've got some MMM folks here.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2784 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
My company just built a new building in a nearby suburb and we are moving there in December, which means for an entire year I get to listen to my coworkers moan about their moving hassles. Many of them have to move to new homes because their current commute is already super long. I live in a major Texas city which will make my point to many of you.

Meanwhile I moved into a new one-bedroom apartment last month and it took me 4 whole carloads of moving stuff all by myself. I consider this to be ridiculous lifestyle inflation because 3 years ago I moved across the country and everything I owned fit into a single carload. I didn't have any furniture or pets back then. If I had a house I might actually consider renting a Uhaul!

Granted, I am single, no kids and no house. But I still shout, "Sukkas!" in my head whenever they moan and groan.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2785 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »
It would make a lot more sense for everyone to be paid once a month. You know, just like virtually every other bill we pay once a month.

4 years ago I went to a monthly pay from a bi weekly. It took a little little used to but I prefer it.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2786 on: June 04, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
It would make a lot more sense for everyone to be paid once a month. You know, just like virtually every other bill we pay once a month.

4 years ago I went to a monthly pay from a bi weekly. It took a little little used to but I prefer it.

Holy shit!!!! We are paid monthly where I work! Almost everybody hates it and it's a constant hot button issue every contract negation. I don't understand it! If you can't make it through the month with $ x what makes you think one week at $1/4x will be any better. I prefer it because the wife is paid on the same day so we sit down that day and plan the month and forget about it until next month.  Makes for a nice tidy meeting (we don't "budget" just go over where to send what)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2787 on: June 05, 2014, 06:02:40 AM »
This is OT, but I need to vent:

Coworker 1: Okay, I'm not South American like you.
Coworker 2: I'm Mexican!
Coworker 1: ....
Coworker 3: Mexico isn't in South America.
Coworker 1: So what? I don't study geometry.

*brain explodes*

T-Rex, I assume they are in the military as well?  If so please reassure me that there are safe guards between them and all nuclear weapons.  Also does CW1 drive an F150 or a Mustang?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2788 on: June 05, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »

*brain explodes*

T-Rex, I assume they are in the military as well?  If so please reassure me that there are safe guards between them and all nuclear weapons.  Also does CW1 drive an F150 or a Mustang?

Maybe this explains why the US invaded Iraq after 9/11 . . .

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2789 on: June 05, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »

Holy shit!!!! We are paid monthly where I work! Almost everybody hates it and it's a constant hot button issue every contract negation. I don't understand it! If you can't make it through the month with $ x what makes you think one week at $1/4x will be any better. I prefer it because the wife is paid on the same day so we sit down that day and plan the month and forget about it until next month.  Makes for a nice tidy meeting (we don't "budget" just go over where to send what)

Perhaps they prefer their 401k contributions going in 52 times a year vs 12 times a year therefore giving a "smoother" DCA buy in?

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2790 on: June 05, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »

*brain explodes*

Oh wow, I would be laughing so hard, and talk to that person a lot more to pas on other gems :)

EricL

« Reply #2791 on: June 05, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »

*brain explodes*

So there I am, perusing a flea market in Nuremburg, Germany in 1987.  An older American woman steps up next to me, picks up a misc. item and wonders what it is.  I answer her and the dialogue goes like this:
Woman: Oh, you speak English!
Me: Yes.  I'm American.  Where are you from?
Woman: Ohio.  Where are you from?
Me: California.
Woman: Where's that?

At that point I just walked away.  And just a reminder, Ronald Reagan, our former governor, was President.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2792 on: June 05, 2014, 08:53:37 AM »
I just want to rant about my fat coworker who smokes and scarfs down all the free m&m's but always has a diet coke in hand. AAAANNNDD his name is Chip. But I will refrain.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2793 on: June 05, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
No, dumbass, but I have a $100k+/year job and I do math for a living.  And so do you.  Why are you not retired yet?

Ha ha ha... this will keep me laughing all day. 

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2794 on: June 05, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »

So there I am, perusing a flea market in Nuremburg, Germany in 1987.  An older American woman steps up next to me, picks up a misc. item and wonders what it is.  I answer her and the dialogue goes like this:
Woman: Oh, you speak English!
Me: Yes.  I'm American.  Where are you from?
Woman: Ohio.  Where are you from?
Me: California.
Woman: Where's that?

At that point I just walked away.  And just a reminder, Ronald Reagan, our former governor, was President.

The Ohioian (Ohio-ite?) just sounds jealous to me.

Also, I have a story from work! I was in a training with some CWs yesterday and they found out I don't own a house. So one of them advises: figure out your budget and then look at where you can afford to live. This is a good idea, but if I looked at where I could live on my budget right now, it would mean leaving the area (So Cal). But then he goes on to tell us that his house (which he lives in by himself and bought with his girlfriend, who doesn't live there) has 4 bedrooms, only one of which is furnished; he owns a boat, which currently needs repairs; and 4 cars!!! So I guess 1 of 4 on good decisions.

Later he was saying one of his friends just bought a $600k house in Mission Viejo (City in Orange County), and I asked him if it was a fixer upper (as a joke/complaint about ridiculous housing prices), he said yes, and our trainer, who was from Minnesota, just about lost it.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2795 on: June 05, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
CW1: Those F150 pickups are super-cheap if you get them at the end of the year when the dealer is trying to clean out the old inventory. I almost bought one for my wife last time, because it was only about $30k.

CW2: But wouldn't you end up spending a lot on gas with such a huge vehicle instead of the little sedan she has?

CW1: Nah, she doesn't drive all that much anyway.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #2796 on: June 05, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
No, dumbass, but I have a $100k+/year job and I do math for a living.  And so do you.  Why are you not retired yet?

Ha ha ha... this will keep me laughing all day.

>Quote from: galaxie on November 14, 2012, 01:05:14 PM

Aand I just realized how long I've been reading this thread. Damn...

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2797 on: June 05, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »
I read this entire thread. It is sad and funny at the same time. I retired 4 years ago at the age of 51. I have a sweet pension, an almost paid off house, 2 college educations paid for in cash and zero debt. I have a great wife and two awesome kids. I have news for all of you with aspirations of early retirement. It is not nearly as easy and fun as you think. When the weather is cold or rainy I am bored shitless. I know, I know..."I wont be bored, I'm different" BULLSHIT! You will be bored.
    You will not do all this budget traveling. You wont fix everything in your house. Life still gets in the way....Do yourselves a huge favor. Find work that matters and focus on that. It will be all rosy fo a while until you realize just how important work is to your well being. And guess what? The only one happy that I am home every day is my dog!
    I wish you all luck.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:51:44 AM by viper155 »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2798 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »
I read this entire thread. It is sad and funny at the same time. I retired 4 years ago at the age of 51. I have a sweet pension, an almost paid off house, 2 college educations paid for in cash and zero debt. I have a great wife and two awesome kids. I have news for all of you with aspirations of early retirement. It is not nearly as easy and fun as you think. When the weather is cold or rainy I am bored shitless. I know, I know..."I wont be bored, I'm different" BULLSHIT! You will be bored.
    You will not do all this budget traveling. You wont fix everything in your house. Life still gets in the way....Do yourselves a huge favor. Find work that matters and focus on that. It will be all rosy fo a while until you realize just how important work is to your well being. And guess what? The only one happy that I am home every day is my dog!
    I wish you all luck.

Ah, yes.  Everyone's retirement will be exactly like mine.  At least you're in the right forum section!

ETA -- I'm sorry you're bored, but don't project your boredom on everyone else.  What instrument(s) do you play?  What languages do you speak?  What gourmet food do you cook?  What tricks can your dog do?  Where do you volunteer?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:15:24 PM by Eric »

jordanread

« Reply #2799 on: June 05, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
    I wish you all luck.

What kind of life gets in the way when you are stuck at home when it's cold and rainy?

Ah, yes.  Everyone's retirement will be exactly like mine.  At least you're in the right forum section!

ETA -- I'm sorry you're bored, but don't project your boredom on everyone else.  What instrument(s) do you play?  What languages do you speak?  What gourmet food do you cook?  What tricks can your dog do?  Where do you volunteer?

+1
If viper is here looking for ideas on how to not be bored, he came to the right place. :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!