Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252944 times)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7150 on: March 05, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
My son rescued a husky/shepherd mix when he was 1 1/2 years old. He never destroyed a thing. A fast paced 1 hour walk a day worked great with some trips to the dog park.  Now we have him at 9 & either a 30 min walk or dog park will work great.  He can't do both anymore.  If we want to go for an hour it can't be hot. I didn't realize these breeds could be destructive.  He is a sweet heart of a dog but when an off leash pit charged me my big old guy took total care of me.  I was surprised at how vicious he got.  He got bit numerous times & had to sleep for the next 2 days but he went from being on his back with the pit on his throat to throwing the pit in the air & getting on his throat.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7151 on: March 05, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
We adoped a mix-breed dog (looks like a hound dog, and genetic test done years later came up as terrier, coonhound, German Shepard). He was pretty much out of control the first year we got him (he was about a year old). Took him for walks 2-3 times a day. But he was constantly barking, would jump or tunnel under our 6 foot fence and run away, also in the evening would tear back and forth the length of our house barking and jumping on us. I was really ready to re-home him. I think it was the 2nd dog trainer we talked to said, you really need to be exercising him more. And we are like, we take him for walks multiple times a day. And she was like, no, I'm talking about an hour in the morning, an hour in the evening, walks are not going to cut it. Also suggested other activities he could do. But we didn't follow advice so we put up with a crazy dog for a couple more years until we did work it in more. My one regret is that we didn't get him into scent trials, this dog's nose is so good he sniffed out a rat from over 50 feet away who was hiding, does the same for possums and outside cats (we don't let him chase them), he would have really made a good working dog.   

I rescued a lab that was like this. There are some dogs that walking is exercise (like my old beagles who would lay down and require getting carried after just over a mile), and some dogs where no amount of walking would work. My lab was the latter. I did 30 minutes in the morning and over an hour in the evening at a pace that I had trouble keeping up and she would still need to have some ball throwing time. I started taking her to a very large playground and put her off leash, she would put down a couple miles worth of sprints in short time. Hill sprints, hide and sneak, fetch drills. 45 minutes a day and there were 0 issues. I ended up re-homing her to a lady that owned a farm and said she (the dog) would do a running check of the entire property every day without fail, on top of jogging with her (the lady) daily. Some dogs just need a LOT more than a person can keep up with.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7152 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »
I hated this dog when we first got him, he was so crazy. But now he's around 7, 8 years old, and everyone says what a good dog he is. He is friendly with all other dogs, never initiates anything. But there was a couple times a dog went after him, he will defend himself and not back down. He is really good with our 2 kids, so much so if I pick up up my youngest daughter he will bark at me. Though he does want to chase outside cats he understands not to mess with our family cat. He has turned into a really good family dog (though I could do with less barking). We are from NC, and a couple people have thought he might be plotthound, but he has medium-length hair on his back, he is definitely not a full breed anything.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7153 on: March 05, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »
CW was telling me about the new online services she has been using lately since she feels she has no time.  The first one is for meals.  So you get a recipe and everything you need to make the meal shipped to you for $12 a person.  She is getting three meals a week for 4 people.  My mouth hung open while I did the math and then completely lost track when she started telling me about a online personal stylist service that she is also using. 

commodore perry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7154 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:03 PM »
No one cares about your dogs. This is overheard at work thread...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7155 on: March 05, 2015, 08:34:56 PM »

I work at the pound, you insensitive Clod!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7156 on: March 05, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
Coworker spent around $300 on chocolates over vacation. He gave some as gifts, put a tin in the office (I ate two!), and of course kept some for himself. That's REALLY generous, and also strikes me as a bit too much.

Maybe I'm just too much of a stingy grouch to react to that information with gratitude. But, you know, I did eat two. And they were yum.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7157 on: March 06, 2015, 06:07:17 AM »
This thread derails all the time - chill.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7158 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:03 AM »

My work lets you bring your dog with you if it is small and well behaved.  So no huskies.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7159 on: March 06, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »
CW was telling me about the new online services she has been using lately since she feels she has no time.  The first one is for meals.  So you get a recipe and everything you need to make the meal shipped to you for $12 a person.  She is getting three meals a week for 4 people.  My mouth hung open while I did the math and then completely lost track when she started telling me about a online personal stylist service that she is also using.

I have a co-worker who could be the same person.  In addition, this person has been struggling with a huge underwater mortgage....and takes expensive tropical vacations.  Makes my head explode.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7160 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »

My work lets you bring your dog with you if it is small and well behaved.  So no huskies.

ugh I want a job like this!! I don't know if our smaller dog would be considered small enough though, she's like 30 pounds.

my mom works for a sportsmen's conservation group and people are allowed to bring their dogs in, they're all hunting dogs, like German shorthair pointers and stuff. so cool and I am so jealous!!!

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #7161 on: March 06, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »

Half my reason for wanting to start my own company is so that I can bring a Great Dane into the office every day.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7162 on: March 06, 2015, 08:41:10 AM »

Half my reason for wanting to start my own company is so that I can bring a Great Dane into the office every day.

My big boy would pee on himself (and thus, my office floor) in fear. He's rather used to his accustomed environment ...

Our little girl (all 150 pounds of her) would not be afraid, but she'd have to Meet. All. The. New. Friends. Right. NOW. and she'd surely knock some people over in her greetings.

...unless either of them perceived or mispercieved a threat to me. That could get ugly fast.

So, Danes in home office, yep. Danes in office office, not so much.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7163 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
ugh I want a job like this!! I don't know if our smaller dog would be considered small enough though, she's like 30 pounds.

Mines 35# and she comes with me on days I have to take her to the vet (which is next door, so it saves a trip home and back).

I think if they can comfortably sit under you desk, it's cool.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7164 on: March 06, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
What do all you people with dogs do when you travel?  I'd love to get a small-medium dog (preferably something allowed in most apartments) when I have enough time to take care of it properly (ie retirement), but I'm worried it will hamper my freedom to travel. Is it easy to take them to other countries?  I'd guess no

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7165 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
What do all you people with dogs do when you travel?  I'd love to get a small-medium dog (preferably something allowed in most apartments) when I have enough time to take care of it properly (ie retirement), but I'm worried it will hamper my freedom to travel. Is it easy to take them to other countries?  I'd guess no

Many airlines will let you carry dogs on board if they're in a carrying case.  My mom does this all the time flying from Canada to Florida.  She has a 3 lb Yorkshire Terrier though, it's pretty damned small and portable.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #7166 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »

My big boy would pee on himself (and thus, my office floor) in fear. He's rather used to his accustomed environment ...

Our little girl (all 150 pounds of her) would not be afraid, but she'd have to Meet. All. The. New. Friends. Right. NOW. and she'd surely knock some people over in her greetings.

...unless either of them perceived or mispercieved a threat to me. That could get ugly fast.

So, Danes in home office, yep. Danes in office office, not so much.

Valid points. And I suppose there are enough people who are scared of big dogs, that could also become an issue...

Sidenote: You're my hero for owning a pair of Danes. I've wanted a pair for years, but the timing and living/work situations have never been right. If my boss told me this afternoon that I didn't have to travel anymore... I'd be signing up to foster one tonight, and local breeder research would start tomorrow.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7167 on: March 06, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »

Other countries- no. There is almost always going to be a quarantine period.

We either board the dog (it's $25 a day, and I feel so guilty because she was a shelter dog and I worry she thinks we are surrendering her to them), have a neighbor kid take care of her ($10 a day), arrange trade weeks with a neighbor (we take their dog for their week of vacation, they take ours for a week- no cost), or take her with us (if we are driving).

Having a pet definitely means sacrifice when traveling though, you have to arrange around them.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #7168 on: March 06, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
We either board the dog (it's $25 a day, and I feel so guilty because she was a shelter dog and I worry she thinks we are surrendering her to them), have a neighbor kid take care of her ($10 a day), arrange trade weeks with a neighbor (we take their dog for their week of vacation, they take ours for a week- no cost), or take her with us (if we are driving).

Having a pet definitely means sacrifice when traveling though, you have to arrange around them.
We're going on vacation next week and can't bring along our dog. A local place has had advertising about their boarding services and how much better they are than the place we've usually boarded him, so the wife decided she wanted to go and tour this place and see what she thought.

BIG mistake. She walked out of the place miserable and horrified that the place we had been boarding the dog (she had him for several years before we got married) was similar- she thought that it looked far too much like a shelter/pound and was really worried about how miserable she figured our dog would be if he had to stay there for a week. (why yes, this dog DOES have some attachment issues, how could you guess? :P). Thankfully I was able to get my younger brother to come out and house/pet-sit for the time we'll be gone...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7169 on: March 06, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
The place we have boarded at (3 times when we couldn't arrange something else- we used to live somewhere that we didn't know/trust out neighbors) does look like a pound. But I was very happy with the people there.  Our dog doesn't socialize well except with a small subset of dogs, so the first time, she was always put out in the yard to play with just the caretaker, and no dogs.  The second time, the caretaker brought her OWN dog from home so Elsa could play with him, since no dogs being boarded met the profile she does well with (only boy dogs smaller than her. She is terrified of bigger boys, and gets very aggressive with other girls).

I am glad we found a place that does care for the dogs, but I still feel awful about it. 

And we didn't get off scott- free the first time we left her with the neighbor, it ended up costing a lot more than boarding her. Again, I think she thought she was being abandoned and ended up having what the neighbor thought was seizures, $500 emergency vet bill better, when we got home, we found out the dog had been prescribed antacids.  So the second time we told the neighbor if she was acting weird, give her tums first, then go emergency vet route (which was fine- I'll pay pretty much anything for her).  But thankfully, I think Elsa is pretty secure that we are coming back for her now (keep in mind we had her for 6 years before this happened).  Possibly being left at the neighbor's was super hard because she could see our house, but not understand why we weren't coming to get her?  My dog is weird- but we can tell she has issues from her first owner.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7170 on: March 06, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
My pup also gets to occasionally visit work! She usually just sleeps on top of my desk in front of my window (she is really small).

If you are planning on traveling a lot internationally for extended periods, I don't recommend dog ownership Dragoncar. I love my dog but man is she a pain when I want to go somewhere sometimes. If you are thinking you'll travel after you FIRE and that's at least 5+ years away, you could get a senior dog (ie already 9-10+ years old) from a rescue bc to put it bluntly, they most likely won't be around for too many more years.

Speaking from experience, it's not easy or cheap to move a dog overseas. Countries all have different regs so bouncing around would be nearly impossible and you can't always take trains or etc with them. Flying is getting more complicated and more expensive every year, as airlines keep raising the fees. I still sometimes fly domestically with my dog bc she can fly in-cabin, I would NEVER check my dog as a bag (which is allowed!!) because there have been many incidents of dogs dying(!!) when in the luggage compartment.

Boarding also has like a 1 week limit for me, it gets expensive quickly (25/day+) and I feel bad for my dog being alone, she gets sad, etc. The first time I boarded her, when I took her home she jumped on my bed, peed and then went in her kennel voluntarily and ignored me entirely for 3 days. It is better now but she still isn't thrilled with it, though sometimes mommy has to leave town for work and there's no choice :-(

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #7171 on: March 06, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »

Many airlines will let you carry dogs on board if they're in a carrying case.  My mom does this all the time flying from Canada to Florida.  She has a 3 lb Yorkshire Terrier though, it's pretty damned small and portable.

Our dog just LOVES my parents and so we sometimes leave him there, or for shorter trips we have a wonderful dog sitter that takes him into her home.  That, however, is the cost of a cheap hotel room every 24 hours ($45 a day).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #7172 on: March 07, 2015, 08:49:18 PM »
We're still talking about dogs?

I wanna go back to laughing at people who say stupid shit at work.   

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:01:38 PM by Malaysia41 »

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7173 on: March 07, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
It's hardly hurting anything.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #7174 on: March 07, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
CW: "Hey man, you don't have any chow I could bum from you, do you?"
Me: [confused look]
CW: "They pulled my truck into the shop for repairs. I was going to cash a TChek [payday advance, essentially] and get something to eat, but I'm stuck here now with no money or food. I haven't eaten since 08:00 [was 15:00 at the time]"
Me: "That sucks, here you go [gives him some food]."

This happened at a trucking company. The other driver was relatively new. I was broke when I started too, but I quickly learned to keep ample food in the truck. It's shocking the number of drivers who eat every single meal at a truck stop or restaurant. Many are chronically broke, and abuse the payday advances we can get at truck stops.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #7175 on: March 07, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »
I'm 46 now. And when I turn 50 I won't HAVE to work at a place I hate (I can be choosy) and that miserable woman is partially responsible for that!

I think misery creates drive for something better... I can relate because my boss is an official nut case and I got to thinking, "I cannot work like this forever..." and so I found MMM and started investing what I already do well at saving. Thank you to someone making me miserable, right? No one ever wanted to better themselves when life is perfect.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7176 on: March 08, 2015, 01:21:38 AM »

Valid points. And I suppose there are enough people who are scared of big dogs, that could also become an issue...

And there are people who are allergic to dogs. That could also become an issue....

they coudl start leaving to eat out at 10 am and dont come back before 4pm, just think of that costs!!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7177 on: March 08, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
Someone I work with often complains about living paycheck to paycheck but she eats out for lunch every day, buys new clothes, handbags and shoes reasonably often and goes out with friends. All of which is stuff I can generally shrug off and nod sympathetically to. What she chooses to spend her money on is none of my business.

However, it was REALLY hard to bite my tongue when she asked me if I had a clairvoyant I could recommend, asked in the same way that people ask for a recommendation for a new dentist or hairdresser. o.O Mind. Boggled. I said something like I'm quite sceptical and probably the worst person to ask for stuff like that. I did manage to stay quiet about the utter waste of money I thought it was. At least the other stuff she spends her money on actually does something useful - keeps her fed and clothed.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7178 on: March 08, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
However, it was REALLY hard to bite my tongue when she asked me if I had a clairvoyant I could recommend,
The problem is that the clairvoyant believers dont want good ones. They want the sort that say what the customers want to hear, not what they need to hear. Like: dont waste so much money ;)
Dont get me wrong, a good clairvoyant is like a pschologist, so they really could help. (e.g. great arcana Tarot cards are representations of parts of your character (or others), and using them you can let different parts of you speak etc. - that kind of thing is really interesting.) But as I said, helpful is not what these people want.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7179 on: March 08, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
However, it was REALLY hard to bite my tongue when she asked me if I had a clairvoyant I could recommend,
The problem is that the clairvoyant believers dont want good ones. They want the sort that say what the customers want to hear, not what they need to hear. Like: dont waste so much money ;)
Dont get me wrong, a good clairvoyant is like a pschologist, so they really could help. (e.g. great arcana Tarot cards are representations of parts of your character (or others), and using them you can let different parts of you speak etc. - that kind of thing is really interesting.) But as I said, helpful is not what these people want.

whaaa...your second paragraph says basically the exact opposite of the first.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #7180 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »
x2. I think 95% (or more) of people do not understand this and it's not (for the most part) really their fault until they become enlightened. I'm guessing that many do not ever reach that level.

Everyone's responsible for their choices in this life and that includes materialism. It wasn't until I was 16 that I truly realized that material things don't bring happiness beyond the few moments that you initially feel right after buying it. That was it, so I sought for more. I believe that deep down inside many if not most people know stuff does not bring or buy happiness but they don't know what does, or they are not making an active enough of an effort to find themselves beyond materialism.

So they choose materialism. I want to even say some people hide that "emptiness" with this keeping up with the Joneses "I'm better than someone because of my stuff" mentality, when really it's just stuff and surely none of those toys will be going with you at the end of life. Basically, yes, it's true that most people just don't know, but I think they can if they actively sought it and were honest with themselves. Most people don't or consider that a priority... So the priority on stuff continues. This just goes back to spending and being un-Mustachian. The blind leading the blind and they don't know people who see exist.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:33:31 AM by MrsCoolCat »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7181 on: March 08, 2015, 10:37:46 AM »
It wasn't until I was 16...

Sixteen?  You catch on earlier than most.  Earlier than me!

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7182 on: March 08, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
I'm 46 now. And when I turn 50 I won't HAVE to work at a place I hate (I can be choosy) and that miserable woman is partially responsible for that!

I think misery creates drive for something better... I can relate because my boss is an official nut case and I got to thinking, "I cannot work like this forever..." and so I found MMM and started investing what I already do well at saving. Thank you to someone making me miserable, right? No one ever wanted to better themselves when life is perfect.

I can totally relate to this.  For several years I worked for a seriously disturbed woman.  It gave me the motivation to make sure I would never be in a position where I had to work in a situation like that.  It is what drove me to seek a meeting with a fee based financial advisor and led me to find MMM.   I was in a fearful place and now I am so close to FI that if I ever find myself in a similar situation I can say FU.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #7183 on: March 08, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »

Eh, kind of, sort of. Basically, sometimes people just want someone to talk to and be a sympathetic ear to unload on. Tarot cards are highly symbolic so someone that is well versed in all of their various means and use those as ways of guiding a conversation to what the person actually wants to talk about. Some psychologists will use tarot cards as triggers to get people talking during sessions as well for pretty much the same reason.

However, it should be noted that if you are just looking for a sympathetic ear to talk to and some basic life advice going to clairvoyant is usually going to be a lot cheaper than going to a life coach or a psychologist.

Absolutely. I have read tarot cards since I was a teenager for fun (I don't actually believe in them "predicting the future" or other such nonsense, but it is fun and unusual hobby). I've also made a casual study of psychics/confidence trickster methods and it's quite fascinating. Reading body language and subtle facial cues is how most operate, and noticing clothing, jewelry and other physical signs that most people don't realize gives away personal details. Most people that go to a psychic want to use them for either reassurance or for comfort - and that's what they provide (but yes, it's still a rip off).

EricL

« Reply #7184 on: March 08, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

Eh, kind of, sort of. Basically, sometimes people just want someone to talk to and be a sympathetic ear to unload on. Tarot cards are highly symbolic so someone that is well versed in all of their various means and use those as ways of guiding a conversation to what the person actually wants to talk about. Some psychologists will use tarot cards as triggers to get people talking during sessions as well for pretty much the same reason.

However, it should be noted that if you are just looking for a sympathetic ear to talk to and some basic life advice going to clairvoyant is usually going to be a lot cheaper than going to a life coach or a psychologist.

Yeah, except that psychologists have standardized ethical codes and some oversight. So their costs, while high, are up front.  A clairvoyant fraud can lead the gullible down a primrose path to financial disaster with a hefty pay day (for the clairvoyant).  An "honest" fraud, someone who believes they've got powers but doesn't, is delusional. They're not a person you want counsel from.  A genuine clairvoyant is probably making a bundle off the stock market (or ponies) and not listening to some random schlep.  Or if they're genuine and listening to schleps for money they're probably a complete failure. Because they're either charging what their talents are worth (thousands $ per hour) AND telling people the truth - i.e. what they don't want to hear.  "You'll never win the lottery, your only chance to get rich is to stop spending money on crap and put it in a 401K. Oh, you'll also meet a tall dark stranger who'll be put off by your bad breath."  Any clairvoyant charging reasonable rates for that starved to death eons ago.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #7185 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
Sixteen?  You catch on earlier than most.  Earlier than me!

:-) Thanks, unfortunately I didn't invest and of course I still bought things in my 20s. I think a lot and [over]analyze things. I am very self aware and my surroundings. LOL, now I've been watching too many movies!

I had a job when I was 13 helping out my parents and started working for a family friend in 8th grade, so like 14 or 15.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:49:24 PM by MrsCoolCat »

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #7186 on: March 08, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »
"I have every possession I want. I have a lot of friends who have a lot more possessions. But in some cases, I feel the possessions possess them, rather than the other way around.”

LOVE IT! Thanks! So taking that quote! :-)

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #7187 on: March 08, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Clairvoyant shmairvoiyant - just use the online version of the I Ching. Absolutely free and works great, I use it all the time.

greenplace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7188 on: March 08, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
I have many spendthrift co-workers, including people who regularly (as in, every other week) buy $200 basketball shoes and buy new cars every other year. It's almost expected if you are an employee here.

But one takes the cake.
She not only buys herself $200 limited release basketball shoes, but if she likes it she buys matching shoes for her 4 person family.
She wants to buy a house. None of the money for the down payment is coming from savings because she doesn't have any. Turns out she already had taken out a 401k loan for consumer purchases that she is still repaying on, so had to take a 401k withdrawal with fees and taxes to cover a down payment. This means she cannot contribute to the 401k for six months. Not to mention she depleted her retirement account. 
The family has three luxury cars with three monthly payments.
She is throwing an elaborate party for her one year old in a month (>$1000.)

She makes much more money than myself but when I told her how much I save every month she says she doesn't know how anyone can save that much. I don't have kids, but I think at $100,000 yearly, plus a partner who earns as well, and free childcare provided, it'd be easy if you don't spend it on dumb shit for one year olds who don't know they are wearing $500 worth of clothing and guest of honor at a birthday party for 100 people.

I am actually worried for her, the mortgage she is getting with PMI would take half the family income and she could lose the house so easily.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #7189 on: March 08, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
Once we moved from 24 paychecks (semi-monthly) to 26 paychecks (bi-weekly) and a coworker said, "I like it. You get more checks." So? "So it's like you get paid more!" But you don't... bc your annual salary is still the same. "You get more checks and more often, so it just feels like you get paid more!" I swear she probably spent more too because of her perceived "fake raise". What a dumbass.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7190 on: March 09, 2015, 02:12:04 AM »
Once we moved from 24 paychecks (semi-monthly) to 26 paychecks (bi-weekly) and a coworker said, "I like it. You get more checks." So? "So it's like you get paid more!" But you don't... bc your annual salary is still the same. "You get more checks and more often, so it just feels like you get paid more!" I swear she probably spent more too because of her perceived "fake raise". What a dumbass.

While the dollar amount per year may not change you are getting more money the more frequent the pay periods due to the time value of money. Ideally you would get paid per second (or whatever the smallest practical interval may be - daily perhaps) because then you can invest the money on your behalf as your are earning it instead of the employer using the money they owe you and investing it on their behalf (which they definitely do).

That said... yes your coworker is a dumbass if they are spending more money or think that they get a "bonus month" for the two months where they get 3 pay periods.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7191 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:51 AM »

The key to picking a good clairvoyant is to meet up with them, shake his or her hand, and then give 'em the old Glasgow kiss.  If you connect, they're obviously not very good at their job.  I'm 0/4 at finding a decent one.

jordanread

« Reply #7192 on: March 09, 2015, 06:32:58 AM »

The key to picking a good clairvoyant is to meet up with them, shake his or her hand, and then give 'em the old Glasgow kiss.  If you connect, they're obviously not very good at their job.  I'm 0/4 at finding a decent one.

Damn you!! It's too early to be spitting coffee all over my newly cleaned desk.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #7193 on: March 09, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »

While the dollar amount per year may not change you are getting more money the more frequent the pay periods due to the time value of money. Ideally you would get paid per second (or whatever the smallest practical interval may be - daily perhaps) because then you can invest the money on your behalf as your are earning it instead of the employer using the money they owe you and investing it on their behalf (which they definitely do).

That said... yes your coworker is a dumbass if they are spending more money or think that they get a "bonus month" for the two months where they get 3 pay periods.

Yep, we have a "three payday month" coming up in May and some of my coworkers are already planning their spending sprees. Like an idiot I pointed out to them that our first payday of June isn't until June 13th so they have to make that "extra" May payday last to cover those two weeks. Boy, that was time well spent.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7194 on: March 09, 2015, 06:57:36 AM »
CW was telling me about the new online services she has been using lately since she feels she has no time.  The first one is for meals.  So you get a recipe and everything you need to make the meal shipped to you for $12 a person.  She is getting three meals a week for 4 people.   
I have a friend who does this and loves it. Admittedly, she is not struggling financially so that's something. Mainly, she said she was just sick and tired of always having to be the one to come up with meals for the family every day with little to no input from her OH and sons (except when they didn't like something) and the mealboxes she gets delivered means she doesn't have to think about it on the few days a week she gets it for and it allows them all to try new things. She's been doing it for about two years now and the benefits in terms of stress reduction in her situation far outweigh the financial outlay. Although from what I've understood the cost is not actually all that much higher than it would be if she were buying everything herself. For people who don't have a lot of time and might be lacking inclination or enthusiasm, it could be a useful service.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7195 on: March 09, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
I was looking at places for rent on my lunch break because DH and I are looking to move soon. I had one open which would offer us a lot more in terms of convenience and appliances (it is sad but I am completely fixated on having a dishwasher and decent oven at the moment) but is significantly more expensive.

A colleague asked if I could afford it and if I so why wouldn't I just go for it. I explained that it would cost an extra $6.5k+ each year and I wasn't sure if the convenience and mod cons would be worth the extra expense. They countered with "what does that matter? what else are you going to spend that money on?...

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7196 on: March 09, 2015, 08:48:15 AM »
x2. I think 95% (or more) of people do not understand this and it's not (for the most part) really their fault until they become enlightened. I'm guessing that many do not ever reach that level.

Everyone's responsible for their choices in this life and that includes materialism. It wasn't until I was 16 that I truly realized that material things don't bring happiness beyond the few moments that you initially feel right after buying it. That was it, so I sought for more. I believe that deep down inside many if not most people know stuff does not bring or buy happiness but they don't know what does, or they are not making an active enough of an effort to find themselves beyond materialism.

So they choose materialism. I want to even say some people hide that "emptiness" with this keeping up with the Joneses "I'm better than someone because of my stuff" mentality, when really it's just stuff and surely none of those toys will be going with you at the end of life. Basically, yes, it's true that most people just don't know, but I think they can if they actively sought it and were honest with themselves. Most people don't or consider that a priority... So the priority on stuff continues. This just goes back to spending and being un-Mustachian. The blind leading the blind and they don't know people who see exist.

I have some extended family in my in-laws that I think definitely do this.  And they make middle class salaries, so it's not like they're parading around with Teslas or going on European vacations.  But combine this "stuff" mentality with facebook, and it's a whole world of crazy.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7197 on: March 09, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »
keeping up with the Joneses "I'm better than someone because of my stuff" mentality, when really it's just stuff

I've become a lot more forgiving of this attitude lately.  I used to judge people pretty harshly for failing to see that their stuff was just a distraction from the important things in their lives, but I've come to see that some people don't have any important things in their lives.  They have no skills, no interests, no talents, no passions.  For people like that, buying meaningless crap is the only source of happiness they have left.

When looked at this way, an endless obsession with accumulating material goods is just another form of self medication.  And it's probably a slightly BETTER way to deal with your problems than the common alternatives of food or drugs.  At least their emotional problems only ruin their lives financially, rather than physically.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7198 on: March 09, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »
keeping up with the Joneses "I'm better than someone because of my stuff" mentality, when really it's just stuff

I've become a lot more forgiving of this attitude lately.  I used to judge people pretty harshly for failing to see that their stuff was just a distraction from the important things in their lives, but I've come to see that some people don't have any important things in their lives.  They have no skills, no interests, no talents, no passions.  For people like that, buying meaningless crap is the only source of happiness they have left.

When looked at this way, an endless obsession with accumulating material goods is just another form of self medication.  And it's probably a slightly BETTER way to deal with your problems than the common alternatives of food or drugs.  At least their emotional problems only ruin their lives financially, rather than physically.

I've noticed the same lately - just how many people have NOTHING in their lives, no talents, hobbies, interests, just nothing. They work, go home, watch TV. Go decades without learning even one new thing. What a horrible, miserable existence.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7199 on: March 09, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »

I've noticed the same lately - just how many people have NOTHING in their lives, no talents, hobbies, interests, just nothing. They work, go home, watch TV. Go decades without learning even one new thing. What a horrible, miserable existence.

I have a coworker like that. I have been spending a lot of time the last two weeks taking care of myself, resting and relaxing. Normally I have a monstrous to do list with goals and hobbies and other things I'd like to get done. I commented last week about how I have been just doing two or three very small things each day on my list to feel productive when I get home from work, then going to bed to read or watch Netflix or sleep. He said that his to do list IS ALL NETFLIX.

Clairvoyant shmairvoiyant - just use the online version of the I Ching. Absolutely free and works great, I use it all the time.

Thanks. I tried it. I got a result that might be applicable to many people on this forum:

Beneath the Soil, the Seedling pushes upward toward the light:
To preserve his integrity, the Superior Person contents himself with small gains that eventually lead to great accomplishment.

Supreme Success.
Have no doubts.
Seek guidance from someone you respect.
A constant move toward greater clarity will bring reward.

SITUATION ANALYSIS:

You are progressing, rising inch-by-inch toward certain success.
What makes this assured is your refusal to tilt headlong toward your goal, slamming into obstacles and going mad with frustration.
You have a clear map before you of the steps necessary to reach your objective.
With faithful patience and a careful conservation of personal energy and resources, you will run this long, slow distance.