Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252535 times)

alanB

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19700 on: March 01, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »
I had a moment there and then figured it out. Regional language differences. :-)
Chips= deep fried potato wedges, not deep fried triangles of corn tortilla.

Can’t you get them in the frozen section of the grocery store and then cook them in the oven?

Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips
Tortilla chips = tortilla chips

Does anyone say tortilla crisps?  I think the Brits messed up on this one.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19701 on: March 01, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »
I will never get that. We never order food for dinner because it just takes so much longer than making something yourself. Even if the best I can do is put a frozen pizza in the oven (which happens about once a month) it's still so much more convenient than ordering a pizza.

I totally agree. We can either make food within half an hour or find a leftover portion in the freezer to warm up. Any alternative to get pizza or whatever delivered up on the steep hill to our house would take more time and drama. Driving to the nearest restaurant would also take a lot more time.

But I remember, in the past, we used to live very close to a shopping center. It was convenient to walk over and buy take-away french fries to go with the rest of the food that we prepared at home. That only took 5-10 minutes, depending on how many other customers. So I can imagine that it in some cases can be fast to order food, depending on how central you live.

Chips are one of the major reasons I ever eat out. The other major food reason is pizza, which I am slowly learning to make myself. But I'm happy to eat out with friends from time to time (as opposed to inviting them over) if only to eat chips and ketchup in unreasonable quantities.
Yes, chippy shop chips are irresistible and hard to replicate at home, IMHO. Salt + Vinegar all over... great after a few pub rounds. That experience, the nearest kebab joint, curry places, oh there's so much I miss about UK drinking and eating.

It's OK to splurge on chips.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19702 on: March 01, 2018, 01:22:29 PM »
I will never get that. We never order food for dinner because it just takes so much longer than making something yourself. Even if the best I can do is put a frozen pizza in the oven (which happens about once a month) it's still so much more convenient than ordering a pizza.

I totally agree. We can either make food within half an hour or find a leftover portion in the freezer to warm up. Any alternative to get pizza or whatever delivered up on the steep hill to our house would take more time and drama. Driving to the nearest restaurant would also take a lot more time.

But I remember, in the past, we used to live very close to a shopping center. It was convenient to walk over and buy take-away french fries to go with the rest of the food that we prepared at home. That only took 5-10 minutes, depending on how many other customers. So I can imagine that it in some cases can be fast to order food, depending on how central you live.

Chips are one of the major reasons I ever eat out. The other major food reason is pizza, which I am slowly learning to make myself. But I'm happy to eat out with friends from time to time (as opposed to inviting them over) if only to eat chips and ketchup in unreasonable quantities.
Yes, chippy shop chips are irresistible and hard to replicate at home, IMHO. Salt + Vinegar all over... great after a few pub rounds. That experience, the nearest kebab joint, curry places, oh there's so much I miss about UK drinking and eating.

It's OK to splurge on chips.

Yes, me too! I take home a bottle of malt vinegar every time I go there.

I don't splurge on it too often, but that €2,50 to get freshly fried chips, from a place that cuts their own chips instead of buying them frozen, is really worth it.

Occasionally I make them myself, it's pretty quick and easy to do, but frying them in a large pot of oil on the stovetop is a hassle as well as dangerous. The entire kitche gets smelly and greasy.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19703 on: March 01, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
Bonuses from the tax bill are paid out next week.

CW #1: "My wife's already figured out what she's going to spend it on."

-_-

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19704 on: March 01, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »
Bonuses from the tax bill are paid out next week.

CW #1: "My wife's already figured out what she's going to spend it on."

-_-
That's where you say "Me too." while thinking about groceries and VTSAX, and feel smugly clever to yourself.

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19705 on: March 01, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »
This is too rich to not post here. Scene: p/t retail gig, I (25F) make $11.50/hr, with other sales associate (21F) who makes $12/hr. Being the grandma of the store staff, I tell them about the gigs and jobs I've had over the years. When I was in high school I'd post on Craigslist looking to clean people's houses for $15/hr, got lots of takers to help out a high school kid get some cash.

21F tells me how she wants to hire someone to help her clean her place because she doesn't have time to do it and her roommate is a worthless turd. She works no more than 25 hrs per week and mostly just smokes weed and does dabs on her days off, living in her granddad's rental for $800 between her and her roommate. Not 2 days ago she was telling me how hard it is to be an adult and pay for everything. I gently mention how eating fast food every day, having a dog, getting tattoos every month, not having a full-time job (working retail, no less), and buying a brand-new car when she was 19 are all choices she made and it's never too late to change habits. I even mention how I make my own cleaners from a few household items, and how to really break down tasks so they're not too daunting.

After talking through some of these points, she still wants me to come over and help her out at her place to clean. I'm happy to help her out and take her money, but I don't want to hear about how hard it is to survive "in this economy". I took this second job in September and have paid off nearly $7k in debt in that time. Maybe one day she'll put her big girl panties on and take some initiative.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19706 on: March 01, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

Australia has chips, chips and corn chips.

Context is everything.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19707 on: March 01, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
I had a moment there and then figured it out. Regional language differences. :-)

Can’t you get them in the frozen section of the grocery store and then cook them in the oven?

A sad, dried-out, burnt-at-the-ends piece of re-formed potato is not the same as a chip.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19708 on: March 01, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

Context is everything.

I would say Australia has

Fries
Chips
Wedges
Chips and
corn chips

though I would accept basically all of them except wedges as chips

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19709 on: March 01, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

Context is everything.

Then what do you call corn chips?  Now I am confused...  ;P

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19710 on: March 01, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »
Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

Context is everything.

Fries
Chips
Wedges
Chips and
corn chips

You forgot chicken chippies!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:47:17 PM by Nudelkopf »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19711 on: March 01, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

Context is everything.

Fries
Chips
Wedges
Chips and
corn chips

You forgot chicken chippies!

I don’t eat wedges but chicken chippies was a definite oversight!

:D :D :D

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19712 on: March 02, 2018, 01:34:49 AM »

Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

To make it more confusing, the Dutch use the word "chips" where the English use "crisps". We call the fried potato wedges for "patat friet", from French.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19713 on: March 02, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
This is too rich to not post here. Scene: p/t retail gig, I (25F) make $11.50/hr, with other sales associate (21F) who makes $12/hr. Being the grandma of the store staff, I tell them about the gigs and jobs I've had over the years. When I was in high school I'd post on Craigslist looking to clean people's houses for $15/hr, got lots of takers to help out a high school kid get some cash.

21F tells me how she wants to hire someone to help her clean her place because she doesn't have time to do it and her roommate is a worthless turd. She works no more than 25 hrs per week and mostly just smokes weed and does dabs on her days off, living in her granddad's rental for $800 between her and her roommate. Not 2 days ago she was telling me how hard it is to be an adult and pay for everything. I gently mention how eating fast food every day, having a dog, getting tattoos every month, not having a full-time job (working retail, no less), and buying a brand-new car when she was 19 are all choices she made and it's never too late to change habits. I even mention how I make my own cleaners from a few household items, and how to really break down tasks so they're not too daunting.

After talking through some of these points, she still wants me to come over and help her out at her place to clean. I'm happy to help her out and take her money, but I don't want to hear about how hard it is to survive "in this economy". I took this second job in September and have paid off nearly $7k in debt in that time. Maybe one day she'll put her big girl panties on and take some initiative.

So basically it is hard to summon the motivation to do anything but veg out. She like many other 'youngins just don't know what hard work is - and keeping house isn't hard, just needs a bunch of baby steps strung together.

I was the same when I was about ten. By the time I was in my teens (13) I was mowing yards, babysitting, washing and detailing cars, etc. In my 20s I was in the military. All that redefined what 'hard' means. How many people these days don't do things like that? Maintenance free lifestyle.

She ought to challenge herself more. Do a room a day. Then do a room a day and then add in a walk or run. She has to peel off her sloth and train to be an adult. Give up the weed. More money left and more motivation perhaps.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19714 on: March 02, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »

Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

To make it more confusing, the Dutch use the word "chips" where the English use "crisps". We call the fried potato wedges for "patat friet", from French.

I remember myself being completely shocked when I was in the US and "burger and chips" meant I would get actual potato chips (as in, crisps) next to my plate. Since when are chips an option for lunch/dinner?!?! That's not food! I was convinced I'd get french fries-chips. Biggest dining out disappointment ever.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19715 on: March 02, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

I remember myself being completely shocked when I was in the US and "burger and chips" meant I would get actual potato chips (as in, crisps) next to my plate. Since when are chips an option for lunch/dinner?!?! That's not food! I was convinced I'd get french fries-chips. Biggest dining out disappointment ever.

I’m from Rand McNally so I wear my hat on my feet and call fries “papas yumyums”

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19716 on: March 02, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »

Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips

I’m from Rand McNally so I wear my hat on my feet and call fries “papas yumyums”

In fact, in Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19717 on: March 02, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »

21F tells me how she wants to hire someone to help her clean her place because she doesn't have time to do it and her roommate is a worthless turd. She works no more than 25 hrs per week and mostly just smokes weed and does dabs on her days off, living in her granddad's rental for $800 between her and her roommate.

She makes $12/hr and wants to HIRE a cleaner? I made about $12/hr back in the late 1980s, when it went a lot further, and I never thought it was enough to hire someone. I cleaned myself (or put up with my roommates' dirt, most likely).

StealthFundip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19718 on: March 02, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »
Sitting at work yesterday, I overheard the Finance Director talking to the new HR Director, mostly shooing the crap and whatnot.  But this really stood out to me:

Finance: Yeah, I just got a golf cart the other day.
HR: Really? Don't they have some at the golf course?
Finance: Yeah, but they cost $5 to rent for the day.  So I got one for myself.  Think of the savings!
HR: Yeah, I guess you're right.  How much was it?
Finance: It was only (unintelligible price), and they didn't even want a down payment!  I had to ask to make sure I heard them correctly.  I just said   '...okay then!'

I tried to listen, but at points they were very quiet.  I really wish I heard how much it was for the cart, I can't envision a scenario where it would be worthwhile to FINANCE a golf cart with zero down when you can rent one for a day at $5 a pop.  Especially if he needs to tow it to his favorite (golf) clubbing spot.  Maybe if he goes every Saturday and Sunday, but then the maintenance/towing/charging would probably cost at least $5, knowing that he drives an F-250...

The HR Director is a bit Anti-Mustachian as well, judging from her choice in vehicle.  One day as I was starting into my 2004 Buick Century with 195k miles and a dent in the bumper from when my dad whacked a deer, I saw her walking out of the building.  As I was sweeping snow off of my car, I see her push a button on her key fob. I jumped as the very imposing impeccably clean red F-350 super duty diesel sparks to life right behind me and belches some diesel smoke out of the dual tailpipes.  I say hi as she walks by and she very haughtily says,

HR:"oh, hi StealthFundip, is this your car? (gesturing at the salt-sprayed tan Buick I'm dusting off)"
Stealth:"Yep, my dad gave it to me when he got a new(to him) truck.  I used to drive a '94 F-150, but when I worked at $BigJuiceCompany I spent more than half my paycheck on gas!  At least I don't have any payments for the next 50-100k miles though." 
HR:(after hearing how many miles it had)"Oh wow, if I were you I'd start looking for a new car ASAP.  I'd be amazed if you made it to 200k miles before it falls apart! Most cars are only safe until you get about 100k miles, I wouldn't believe it's got so many if it wasn't right here in front of me!" (She said this in a way that was almost patronizing, but with a dash of snootiness as well)
Stealth: "Well, it's working great for me, and I see no reason to get a new car on a part time intern's salary..."
HR: "Well, don't say I didn't warn you!  See you later."

I will be happily saving at least 25% of my intern wages while she spends a fortune on feeding her diesel beast :)

And on parents buying their kids BRAND NEW CARS for going to college, they should really consider gifting their old car with new tires and brake pads.  When I first started driving that pickup truck, it was a bit scary.  But after it got new tires and brakes, it was easily able to handle 8" of snow and otherwise dangerous slippery roads.  Felt and drove like one of those brand new trucks my truck nut friends were buying.  But it did get a lot harder to drift around particularly snowy corners... Maybe another plus for the parents, though!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19719 on: March 03, 2018, 05:13:38 AM »
And on parents buying their kids BRAND NEW CARS for going to college, they should really consider gifting their old car with new tires and brake pads. When I first started driving that pickup truck, it was a bit scary.  But after it got new tires and brakes, it was easily able to handle 8" of snow and otherwise dangerous slippery roads.  Felt and drove like one of those brand new trucks my truck nut friends were buying.  But it did get a lot harder to drift around particularly snowy corners... Maybe another plus for the parents, though!

Where I work, they can’t gift their old cars because the parents hire a full-time chauffeur and car. They don’t have old cars.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19720 on: March 03, 2018, 06:36:44 AM »
Ordered ubereats today because Amex gives me $15 free a month.  Even if I wanted to order in, I can ’t imagine paying a $5 delivery fee when I can pick up myself in 5 min.  Seriously considering becoming an ubereats driver to pick up my own orders

Amex $15/month is our monthly Ubereats treat - I could stay under the $15, but that would mean McDonalds. Bleah. Instead, I spend an extra couple bucks and get an order of chicken tikka masala from the Indian place, comes with 1 piece of naan and rice.

Had a brilliant thought last time: Since it always comes with massive amounts of sauce, and that's the distinctive flavor - we just sauteed up a bunch of chicken and vegetables, then combined that with the chicken tikka masala when it arrived. Also heated up some of our own tortillas as a naan substitute. Hearty meal for 3, with leftovers.

I have a friend at work who drives for Uber/Ubereats - but I really think she doesn't do the math. Why drive around putting miles and burning gas in a new (<2 year old) SUV?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:41:10 AM by TomTX »

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19721 on: March 03, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
Just overheard this conversation yesterday, but first a little background.

I have a co-worker who is single and bought a home only a few minutes from work a year or two ago; it is a modest 1 acre lot with a ~900 sq/ft house, that he paid around 55k for. He also drives a used Saturn that he bought from his grandparents for ~3k when they became too old to drive. Compared to most of my co-workers he seemed pretty fiscally responsible, of course he has a few spendy-pants habits . . .

I've always know he has a (shall we say) hobby of buying and "watching" newer movies on blu-ray. I use the quotation marks because he watches most of the movie in fast forward only slowing down for what he thinks are key parts of dialogue. He then make a digital copy of them and places it on his home server for . . . later watching? (I don't really know)

Now on to the shocking overheard story:

This co-worker and another co-worker were talking about the number of movies he owns, excluding duplicates and how much he has spent on them. Apparently over the last 18 years he has accumulated three-thousand plus movies, mostly new releases, but with some older or bundle purchases. The shocking part is that many of these are where new releases and he estimates the total purchase price of his collection to be $56,700. Yes his movie collecting habit cost him about $3,000 a year and over the course of 18 years he has spent more on movies than the purchase price of his house (and more than half of his car).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19722 on: March 03, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »

I have a co-worker who is single and bought a home only a few minutes from work a year or two ago; it is a modest 1 acre lot with a ~900 sq/ft house, that he paid around 55k for. He also drives a used Saturn that he bought from his grandparents for ~3k when they became too old to drive. Compared to most of my co-workers he seemed pretty fiscally responsible, of course he has a few spendy-pants habits . . .

I've always know he has a (shall we say) hobby of buying and "watching" newer movies on blu-ray. I use the quotation marks because he watches most of the movie in fast forward only slowing down for what he thinks are key parts of dialogue. He then make a digital copy of them and places it on his home server for . . . later watching? (I don't really know)

This co-worker and another co-worker were talking about the number of movies he owns, excluding duplicates and how much he has spent on them. Apparently over the last 18 years he has accumulated three-thousand plus movies, mostly new releases, but with some older or bundle purchases. The shocking part is that many of these are where new releases and he estimates the total purchase price of his collection to be $56,700. Yes his movie collecting habit cost him about $3,000 a year and over the course of 18 years he has spent more on movies than the purchase price of his house (and more than half of his car).

That is terrible. And it totally doesn't have this value today.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19723 on: March 03, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »

That is terrible. And it totally doesn't have this value today.

I agree and hence why I used purchase price instead of value.

He is aware of the value loss, but still thinks some that are classics and "out of print" may be worth a little extra.

MooCow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19724 on: March 04, 2018, 12:14:33 AM »
I work at a law firm.  All of the attorneys have six-figure incomes, but some are salaried whereas others are paid based on their actual billings, depending on how their agreement is set up with the firm. 

One of our newer attorneys has decades of experience working at big firms for clients with deep pockets. She loves to talk about all the crazy-high salaries she's had over the years, in excess of $300k/year at times. She sponsors local political campaigns, wears new clothing and expensive jewelry every day, must have a weekly salon haircut. She's on the track of "paid based on actual billings."

One month when some of her bills were held up going out to a client, she confessed to her assistant that if payment weren't made quickly, she'd have to declare bankruptcy. The next month (after the bills went out after all) she's buying a designer dog.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19725 on: March 04, 2018, 04:25:43 AM »
One month when some of her bills were held up going out to a client, she confessed to her assistant that if payment weren't made quickly, she'd have to declare bankruptcy. The next month (after the bills went out after all) she's buying a designer dog.

I'm glad I do not know what this is.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19726 on: March 04, 2018, 04:55:38 AM »

I'm glad I do not know what this is.

The product of the pet equivalent of the Porsche car configurator. /s

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19727 on: March 04, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »

21F tells me how she wants to hire someone to help her clean her place because she doesn't have time to do it and her roommate is a worthless turd. She works no more than 25 hrs per week and mostly just smokes weed and does dabs
OK, I thought I was pretty aware of things, but, I had to look up dabs.
Well, maybe less material in your lungs, but probably less efficient (less mustachian), in that some THC will be left in the green material and the time and materials used to make the dab.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19728 on: March 04, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »
My coworker was telling me about a discussion  she’d had with her teenage son.   He was going on a high school outing that involved buying lunch at a restaurant.    He asked her for some money; she handed over $15.   Him:   “Mum, that won’t be enough.   I don’t want to look POOR.”   She gave him an extra $10.

Me:   “Where on earth are they going that $15 isn’t enough?  Plus, doesn’t he have his own money from his part time job?”   She just looked sheepish and didn’t answer.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19729 on: March 04, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
My coworker was telling me about a discussion  she’d had with her teenage son.   He was going on a high school outing that involved buying lunch at a restaurant.    He asked her for some money; she handed over $15.   Him:   “Mum, that won’t be enough.   I don’t want to look POOR.”   She gave him an extra $10.

Me:   “Where on earth are they going that $15 isn’t enough?  Plus, doesn’t he have his own money from his part time job?”   She just looked sheepish and didn’t answer.

Kids going to order a $5 soup and blow the rest on crack

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #19730 on: March 05, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »
I've always know he has a (shall we say) hobby of buying and "watching" newer movies on blu-ray. I use the quotation marks because he watches most of the movie in fast forward only slowing down for what he thinks are key parts of dialogue.

WTF? That's the most shocking part of the story to me - if you're going to disrespect the movies that much and spoil them for yourself then why even bother in the first place?

I did get into buying DVDs fairly early on (1999), it is a bit painful when the DVDs you spent £12-£15 on are now worth about £0.50. Fortunately I skipped buying Blu-rays at full price (you can get those for peanuts now too), but now I've been bitten by the 4K bug. Trying to keep it to only the best of the best new releases, though.

And I've spent nothing like the amount this guy has!

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19731 on: March 05, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
My coworker was always bragging about the great deals he’d gotten on blu rays or games.   When I said “You must have a blast watching/playing those”, he scoffed “Ha.   I never have time for that shit.   And even when I do, my kid is always hogging the TV.”

He finally got a bit more spare time - but his kid is still hogging the TV.   His solution?    Buy another TV, of course.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19732 on: March 05, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »
I recently interviewed for a Medical Imaging local job after being a Medical Imaging Contract Worker for two years. Contract working is ridiculously lucrative. A "cheap" job is netting $1700/week for 38 hours. I've gotten $2400/week for more like 44+ hours. I opted for three months of vacation the first year, and 5 months of vacation the second year, living off the excess from my contracts while doing and paying for my own house renovations during the time off. Also, omg, I hate full time work and I was mentally exhausted.

Anyway, back to the interview. The hospital has a Contract Worker in the department when we're doing our walk through. And we're doing the usual chit chat "are you social or a introverted mouth breather" back and forth thing when the contract worker asked where all I'd been.

I listed off Arkansas, Arizona, Michigan, Tennessee, and California.

"Where else?" he asks, expecting a far longer list for my two years of travel employment.

"Well, I went to the California place three times and I've had two assignments in Tennessee. But I guess my list is also short because I take at least a month off after every assignment."

This grey haired man, obviously in his 50s, makes a scoffing noise at me. Then asks, "What, got a rich husband?"

I blink at him in bewilderment for a split second, then get an edge of steel in my voice. "No. I'm the rich wife. I've always out earned every partner I've ever been with."

It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides. How is this gray haired man not rolling in it (or at least as wealthy as I am) if he's been doing it for LONGER @_@

I hope you reported this jackass to his HR department.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19733 on: March 05, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
I recently interviewed for a Medical Imaging local job after being a Medical Imaging Contract Worker for two years. Contract working is ridiculously lucrative. A "cheap" job is netting $1700/week for 38 hours. I've gotten $2400/week for more like 44+ hours. I opted for three months of vacation the first year, and 5 months of vacation the second year, living off the excess from my contracts while doing and paying for my own house renovations during the time off. Also, omg, I hate full time work and I was mentally exhausted.

Anyway, back to the interview. The hospital has a Contract Worker in the department when we're doing our walk through. And we're doing the usual chit chat "are you social or a introverted mouth breather" back and forth thing when the contract worker asked where all I'd been.

"Where else?" he asks, expecting a far longer list for my two years of travel employment.

"Well, I went to the California place three times and I've had two assignments in Tennessee. But I guess my list is also short because I take at least a month off after every assignment."

This grey haired man, obviously in his 50s, makes a scoffing noise at me. Then asks, "What, got a rich husband?"

I blink at him in bewilderment for a split second, then get an edge of steel in my voice. "No. I'm the rich wife. I've always out earned every partner I've ever been with."

It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides. How is this gray haired man not rolling in it (or at least as wealthy as I am) if he's been doing it for LONGER @_@

why? if he's a contract worker he has no authority. A jackass alone in the woods does not make real discrimination.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19734 on: March 05, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »

why? if he's a contract worker he has no authority. A jackass alone in the woods does not make real discrimination.

If it's a good company I would hope they would be mortified by his comment and not renew his contract. Being quiet about sexism helps.... who exactly???

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19735 on: March 05, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »
Do you have reason to believe he would have said something different if the genders were reversed? My coworkers would ask me if I married into money if I took off every other month too...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19736 on: March 06, 2018, 01:31:52 AM »
Do you have reason to believe he would have said something different if the genders were reversed? My coworkers would ask me if I married into money if I took off every other month too...

I'd report him because I don't think that's a professionally appropriate comment to make to ANYONE who has come for an interview. It's one thing to make a joke like that to a long-term colleague whose sense of humour you know - quite another to come out with a "witty" aside like that in an interview when everyone involved ought to be on their best professional behaviour. If he wanted to know more, a more appropriate response would have been "Oh, that's interesting. How do you manage that?"

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19737 on: March 06, 2018, 06:32:30 AM »

I'd report him because I don't think that's a professionally appropriate comment to make to ANYONE who has come for an interview. It's one thing to make a joke like that to a long-term colleague whose sense of humour you know - quite another to come out with a "witty" aside like that in an interview when everyone involved ought to be on their best professional behaviour. If he wanted to know more, a more appropriate response would have been "Oh, that's interesting. How do you manage that?"
Fair enough, an interview setting is different.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19738 on: March 06, 2018, 07:00:12 AM »

You are right; it's possible that this kind of thing might get said to both men and women. Maybe even at exactly the same rate. However, context matters. Women hear this against a wide catalog of assumptions in the workplace about marital status and support, in a way that men do not.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #19739 on: March 06, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »
I work at a law firm.  All of the attorneys have six-figure incomes, but some are salaried whereas others are paid based on their actual billings, depending on how their agreement is set up with the firm. 

One of our newer attorneys has decades of experience working at big firms for clients with deep pockets. She loves to talk about all the crazy-high salaries she's had over the years, in excess of $300k/year at times. She sponsors local political campaigns, wears new clothing and expensive jewelry every day, must have a weekly salon haircut. She's on the track of "paid based on actual billings."

How often does these delays happens? Even without the, she has potential for providing us with a lot of entertainment!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19740 on: March 07, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
Extracurricular academic classes are popular in China. Think along the lines of extra math classes, SAT prep classes, etc. Today, one of my coworkers told me that her teen attends these classes. Apparently, one of the kids in the class never attends class, and his parents have already spent over $100,000 over the course of the past three years on these types of classes to “get him ready” for applying to boarding school in the US. He is almost 19 and still “getting ready for (high school) boarding school”.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19741 on: March 07, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »

If it's a good company I would hope they would be mortified by his comment and not renew his contract. Being quiet about sexism helps.... who exactly???

The old guy is sexist and nothing will change his mind. You might be able to beat him into hiding it and make an enemy. Since he has no authority why not let him fade off into the sunset and OP never wastes a brain cycle on about him again? There will be some  flavor of jackasses at any job OP takes, so it ends up being a personal decision what types/levels of jackassery is tolerated in a new job.

seriously though, if she wants the job, she can't file an HR complaint before even getting it!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19742 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

The old guy is sexist and nothing will change his mind. You might be able to beat him into hiding it and make an enemy. Since he has no authority why not let him fade off into the sunset and OP never wastes a brain cycle on about him again? There will be some  flavor of jackasses at any job OP takes, so it ends up being a personal decision what types/levels of jackassery is tolerated in a new job.

seriously though, if she wants the job, she can't file an HR complaint before even getting it!

But... this is what FU money is for! So you don't have to put up with this kind of shit if you don't want to.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19743 on: March 07, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »

Why exactly is his comment sexist? The guys problem is that he's a consumer sucka and can't comprehend on you could live comfortably with those work assignments and assumes you must have outside financial assistance.  He could have just as easily replied "you win the lottery?", or "you have a trust fund?".  Having a rich spouse that supports you is far more likely though.

I guess I don't see how it's a super sexist comment.  Or why anyone would be mortified by the comment.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19744 on: March 07, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

Why exactly is his comment sexist? The guys problem is that he's a consumer sucka and can't comprehend on you could live comfortably with those work assignments and assumes you must have outside financial assistance.  He could have just as easily replied "you win the lottery?", or "you have a trust fund?".  Having a rich spouse that supports you is far more likely though.

I guess I don't see how it's a super sexist comment.  Or why anyone would be mortified by the comment.

I don't really see it as super sexist either. All it really shows is that the guy is on the treadmill and kind of a dick. I've said in several interviews that I have the resources to be picky about my next job, and I've never had a single comment about it. Probably a bit telling about the company as a whole, given that he's the one interviewing!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #19745 on: March 07, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary. 

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19746 on: March 08, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
*snip*

I don't really see it as super sexist either. All it really shows is that the guy is on the treadmill and kind of a dick. I've said in several interviews that I have the resources to be picky about my next job, and I've never had a single comment about it. Probably a bit telling about the company as a whole, given that he's the one interviewing!
It's not super sexist, and the reason he said it might be exactly the reasons you state.  He may even make the comment to as many men as women.  That being said, women probably hear it more often than men (in the US) though, so there is something uncomfortable about it to me. 

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #19747 on: March 08, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary.

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19748 on: March 08, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19749 on: March 09, 2018, 03:15:17 AM »

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

I often compute expenses as daily. But to me, sometimes realizing I’m paying $2/day for a phone (or whatever, over it’s expected lifetime) makes me reconsider the purchase

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!