Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086500 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3550 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
I have been considering trying to make pizza, since husband craves it a lot, but I don't have a pizza stone. Maybe one will show up second hand somewhere - but I'd have to actually be looking for it since I don't browse stores. He's not so fussy on the wood fired oven - places like that around here are extortionately priced.

You can make great pizza on an outdoor grill!

Do you use charcoal? Because I've done them over a gas grill, and it really doesn't taste the same as the smokey wood fired flavors.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3551 on: January 27, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
I have been considering trying to make pizza, since husband craves it a lot, but I don't have a pizza stone. Maybe one will show up second hand somewhere - but I'd have to actually be looking for it since I don't browse stores. He's not so fussy on the wood fired oven - places like that around here are extortionately priced.

Thanks for the idea. Same problem, though, I do not own a grill.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3552 on: January 27, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »

Do you use charcoal? Because I've done them over a gas grill, and it really doesn't taste the same as the smokey wood fired flavors.

Have you tried a pan with wood chips on the gas grill to provide some smoke?  I have a wood grill, so I've never tried it, but there are some youtubes on doing it. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3553 on: January 27, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »

Have you tried a pan with wood chips on the gas grill to provide some smoke?  I have a wood grill, so I've never tried it, but there are some youtubes on doing it.

Hmm, that's an idea! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3554 on: January 27, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »

Have you tried this: http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/02/how-to-make-a-3-dollar-pizza-stone.html

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3555 on: January 27, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »

Hmm, that's an idea! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

I don't even use a pan. I soak wood slices(1 inch thick chainsaw cut branches of apple wood) in water, then place them directly on the gas grill grate. I let them start on fire, then blow them out and let them smoke. Great rotisserie chicken!

The grill does get ash inside, but no worries for me. Cheap grill :)

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #3556 on: January 27, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
My paycheck deposit today was short so I took a look at my paystub... oops

The mustachian part of my brain is like "...should I even have payroll fix it?"

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:38:36 PM by thedigitalone »

jordanread

« Reply #3557 on: January 27, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »

That's pretty awesome.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3558 on: January 27, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »

Have you tried this: http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/02/how-to-make-a-3-dollar-pizza-stone.html

I have not even thought of that! Thanks for the link. I will have to surprise the husband with amazing homemade pizza (and back myself into further into a corner of having to habitually cook everything because we prefer my cooking over take out).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3559 on: January 27, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »

Yes, charcoal. I don't really count gas as "grilling." ;-)

I can't say I've noticed smoke flavoring in wood-oven pizza, though. You might be mistaking char from high heat for smoke flavors from the wood. Unless they do things differently in the PNW...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3560 on: January 27, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »

Yes, charcoal. I don't really count gas as "grilling." ;-)

I can't say I've noticed smoke flavoring in wood-oven pizza, though. You might be mistaking char from high heat for smoke flavors from the wood. Unless they do things differently in the PNW...

I mean, I ain't gonna argue pizza with a New Yorker. I know better than that ;)

Maybe I'll do some controlled experiments. High heat, with and without wood chips, med heat with and without, and oven. Do a side by side ;) Woe is me. I will have to eat SO much pizza. =D

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3561 on: January 27, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
Do people still hold mortgage burning parties?

DW and I want to have one when the day comes but we fear it will be in bad taste b/c so few of the people we know will be mortgage (or car payment) free...

Don't want to brag too loudly.
We didn't because we think we're too young for that to be in good taste. However, I'm seriously considering framing the mortgage discharge notice so we can hang it on the wall. May have to put it somewhere guests won't see it . . .

I also reeeeeally wanted to do this (it was the end of a stressful time), and could have been combined with a house warming (/is now habitable and warm) party so as not to be braggy. I floated the idea to a couple of people but the consensus was that it was unBritish and would lead to questions about lottery wins.  In the end the SO and I had a private burning with a huge fire and bottle of fizz. It was excellent.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3562 on: January 27, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »
I mean, I ain't gonna argue pizza with a New Yorker. I know better than that ;)

Maybe I'll do some controlled experiments. High heat, with and without wood chips, med heat with and without, and oven. Do a side by side ;) Woe is me. I will have to eat SO much pizza. =D

I'm not saying "Pizza" is my middle name, at least not legally, but it IS sort of an alias at this point, so... ;-)

I look forward to your research results!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3563 on: January 27, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »

Unless you must have that exact crust texture, you don't need a pizza stone to cook a pizza in the oven.  I have a perforated metal pizza pan, but I've even used baking sheets/cookie sheets in the past.

And I like the cheap clay tile ideas of others!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3564 on: January 27, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
I don't have a refined pizza palate like some of you, but I've made pizza in my cast iron skillet.  It can reach and hold high heat similar to a pizza stone.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3565 on: January 27, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
Seconding PMG. Heat the cast iron with a little oil on the stove while running the broiler. Roll out your dough, place in the pan, and then top while cooking the crust. Put it under the broiler for 2-4 minutes. If the crust isn't sufficiently crusty, put back on the stovetop to cook the bottom more.

Extra points if you make your pizza dough a few days ahead of time and keep it in the fridge so it gets a chance to get a little sourdough-y.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3566 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
Seconding PMG. Heat the cast iron with a little oil on the stove while running the broiler. Roll out your dough, place in the pan, and then top while cooking the crust. Put it under the broiler for 2-4 minutes. If the crust isn't sufficiently crusty, put back on the stovetop to cook the bottom more.

Extra points if you make your pizza dough a few days ahead of time and keep it in the fridge so it gets a chance to get a little sourdough-y.

Do you add any sort of starter? Or just let it 'wild ferment'?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3567 on: January 27, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »

We typically make the dough with regular yeast* (it's actually a foccacia dough from some cookbook), and use half of it to make pizza the same day, and then the other half of the dough sits in the fridge for a few days until we make pizza again. It doesn't really ferment, it just gets kinda funky, and the second pizzas are better than the first. We've been trying to plan ahead, but it doesn't always happen.

*My husband keeps trying to make true homemade sourdough happen. It hasn't worked yet, despite dozens of attempts, and I'm tried of eating poorly-leavened bread.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3568 on: January 27, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »

We typically make the dough with regular yeast* (it's actually a foccacia dough from some cookbook), and use half of it to make pizza the same day, and then the other half of the dough sits in the fridge for a few days until we make pizza again. It doesn't really ferment, it just gets kinda funky, and the second pizzas are better than the first. We've been trying to plan ahead, but it doesn't always happen.

*My husband keeps trying to make true homemade sourdough happen. It hasn't worked yet, despite dozens of attempts, and I'm tried of eating poorly-leavened bread.

I think I need that recipe if you're willing to share.

TrMama

« Reply #3569 on: January 27, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »
Do people still hold mortgage burning parties?

DW and I want to have one when the day comes but we fear it will be in bad taste b/c so few of the people we know will be mortgage (or car payment) free...

Don't want to brag too loudly.
We didn't because we think we're too young for that to be in good taste. However, I'm seriously considering framing the mortgage discharge notice so we can hang it on the wall. May have to put it somewhere guests won't see it . . .

I also reeeeeally wanted to do this (it was the end of a stressful time), and could have been combined with a house warming (/is now habitable and warm) party so as not to be braggy. I floated the idea to a couple of people but the consensus was that it was unBritish and would lead to questions about lottery wins.  In the end the SO and I had a private burning with a huge fire and bottle of fizz. It was excellent.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm too cheap to actually buy the frame.

Is this what the American expression "Mo' money, 'mo problems" is referring to?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3570 on: January 27, 2017, 04:28:25 PM »
I dreamt that my husband bought wrapping paper for a wedding present, and I was annoyed that he spent $5 on paper when I have a stockpile here bought on sale.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3571 on: January 27, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

That's pretty awesome.

I don't get it.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3572 on: January 27, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »
I remember when some friends told me that they had paid off their mortgage.   I was happy for them but really sad for my recently divorced self; figuring that that was just not in my cards.  Together they made 4 times as much as I did.
Then along came MMM and I got my act together.  I paid off my mortgage and retired.  That couple is still working...

Just last week I snagged a Pampered Chef pizza stone off the Buy Nothing FB site and today I picked up a lovely new piece of furniture off kijiji.   It absolutely astounds (and pleases) me what people will give away.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3573 on: January 28, 2017, 02:07:13 AM »

Thai seems like it would be easy (says the person who always had a knack for cooking...) to replicate but maybe I've just had lackluster Thai food all my life!

Here is a top tip. Prepare the pizza on some baking paper.. Now turn your oven up to max and heat up the plate in the oven. When the oven is at temperature you take out the baking plate and transfer the pizza to the plate (just drag the paper onto it). The transfer really is a two person job though.

That way the heat in the plate gets transferred to the pizza dough and you get a crisp pizza. No need for a pizza stone or any fancy gadgets.

After that just stuff it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

I hope it made sense (non native english speaker here).

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3574 on: January 28, 2017, 07:26:16 AM »

Unless you must have that exact crust texture, you don't need a pizza stone to cook a pizza in the oven.  I have a perforated metal pizza pan, but I've even used baking sheets/cookie sheets in the past.

I love my homemade pizza's too, and now rarely eat pizza out...I've managed to get it exactly as I like it. I do either wholemeal or white bases, and have optimised  the process - oil, dried chillies, minced garlic, passata and herbs makes the type of sauce I love in under a minute, then whatever toppings I fancy.

I just use a baking tray, have had a pizza stone on my 'want' list for ages, but never pulled the trigger...

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3575 on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:39 PM »
What's the link to the buy nothing site? Is it national?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3576 on: January 28, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »
buynothingproject.org

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #3577 on: January 28, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
When there's no point getting a rewards credit card because you don't spend enough to make it worthwhile. Guess I'll just go with the plain ole boring no-fee option to earn as much interest on my savings as possible each month...*sigh*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:24:11 PM by aGracefulStomp »

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3578 on: January 29, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
I know in the United States you can get rewards as percentages off without having an annual fee. Are those cards not available in Australia?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3579 on: January 29, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
You struggle to explain to others how you save so much money on Spending Category X, because you've been doing it for so long that the specific actions have become simply deeply ingrained habits.

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #3580 on: January 29, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
I know in the United States you can get rewards as percentages off without having an annual fee. Are those cards not available in Australia?

There are a few but then the rewards are so small that i still don't know if it's worth it (for example I figured that I would get $20 off my grocery bill every 6 months. I mean yeah, it's an advantage but not anything to write home about!)

Also another one: having the smallest bedroom in the house yet it still being too big for your limited amount of stuff. Not sure what to do with the other half of my bedroom which is completely empty.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3581 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38:26 AM »

Belated Angry Life Cheerleading: DO NOT APOLOGIZE FOR BEING GOOD AT COOKING AND SAYING SO. YOU'RE A BADASS ADVENTUROUS CHEF WHO SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR SKILLS.

Thanks MJ. So sorry, so British, so must never appear to be bragging.

Related - I'm also annoyed I won't be able to publicly celebrate paying off the mortgage. Too braggy and unseemly to be socially acceptable here. Accidentally told one person, well confirmed more than told, we'd be done in 3 years (should have been finished in 2039) and the look on her face!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3582 on: January 30, 2017, 05:46:58 AM »
Belated Angry Life Cheerleading: DO NOT APOLOGIZE FOR BEING GOOD AT COOKING AND SAYING SO. YOU'RE A BADASS ADVENTUROUS CHEF WHO SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR SKILLS.
Thanks MJ. So sorry, so British, so must never appear to be bragging.

Related - I'm also annoyed I won't be able to publicly celebrate paying off the mortgage. Too braggy and unseemly to be socially acceptable here. Accidentally told one person, well confirmed more than told, we'd be done in 3 years (should have been finished in 2039) and the look on her face!

I'll celebrate with you.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3583 on: January 30, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
We'll all celebrate with you.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3584 on: January 30, 2017, 05:56:49 AM »
Raising a toast to you right now from the other side of the world!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3585 on: January 30, 2017, 06:36:12 AM »
Aw thanks everyone! You're the nicest bunch :)

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3586 on: January 30, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »
Here is a top tip. Prepare the pizza on some baking paper.. Now turn your oven up to max and heat up the plate in the oven. When the oven is at temperature you take out the baking plate and transfer the pizza to the plate (just drag the paper onto it). The transfer really is a two person job though.

That way the heat in the plate gets transferred to the pizza dough and you get a crisp pizza. No need for a pizza stone or any fancy gadgets.

After that just stuff it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

I hope it made sense (non native english speaker here).

That makes sense! I have a metal baking tray (not sure if you mean a dinner plate but I don't have any oven proof ones) that should work for. Thank you for sharing your technique!

I love my homemade pizza's too, and now rarely eat pizza out...I've managed to get it exactly as I like it. I do either wholemeal or white bases, and have optimised  the process - oil, dried chillies, minced garlic, passata and herbs makes the type of sauce I love in under a minute, then whatever toppings I fancy.

I just use a baking tray, have had a pizza stone on my 'want' list for ages, but never pulled the trigger...

Good to know that the baking tray works for others. Thanks!

Another vote for baking sheet. I'm really running out of excuses now. XD

I don't have a refined pizza palate like some of you, but I've made pizza in my cast iron skillet.  It can reach and hold high heat similar to a pizza stone.

That sounds logical only a lack a cast iron skillet. I'll keep it in mind for if I ever own one. :D

Your dough doesn't dry out to much in the fridge? I guess cling film would help prevent that.

Welp, I guess husband is getting homemade pizza this week. I'm due to make some more sandwich bread anyway so it's good timing - I'll just make an extra large batch of dough.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3587 on: January 30, 2017, 08:30:24 AM »
Re: home made pizza. I don't bother buying mozzarella to make ours, just grate some cheddar in the food processor. I always have reasonably priced cheddar on hand. I use some jarred Marinara sauce for the tomato sauce portion.

I also make mine on a non stick cookie sheet and stretch it out to a rectangle shape. The cookie sheet I have is the dual layer gold tone ceramic one from Williams Sonoma - a bit spendy, but easy to shape the pizza on and it makes for a lovely crust.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-cookie-sheet/?pkey=e%7Cgold%2Bcookie%2Bsheet%7C142%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C3&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3588 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »
You struggle to explain to others how you save so much money on Spending Category X, because you've been doing it for so long that the specific actions have become simply deeply ingrained habits.
YES.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3589 on: January 31, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
Re: home made pizza. I don't bother buying mozzarella to make ours, just grate some cheddar in the food processor. I always have reasonably priced cheddar on hand. I use some jarred Marinara sauce for the tomato sauce portion.

I also make mine on a non stick cookie sheet and stretch it out to a rectangle shape. The cookie sheet I have is the dual layer gold tone ceramic one from Williams Sonoma - a bit spendy, but easy to shape the pizza on and it makes for a lovely crust.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-cookie-sheet/?pkey=e%7Cgold%2Bcookie%2Bsheet%7C142%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C3&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

I'm not a huge fan of mozzarella. I don't like that much stretch in my cheese and the husband isn't fussy (I try to avoid dairy anyway due to digestive issues). We keep grated cheddar on hand (same price as the same cheap brand in block form) so I'd just be throwing that on there.

Do you use a rolling pin? I tend to just press/pull/stretch my dough into shape (then roll it for loaves) since I don't have a rolling pin (I never make pastry and usually do graham cracker crusts for pies) but I could improvise if need be.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3590 on: January 31, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »
So as the other numbers are different it would be unlikely that a check sum of all 14 numbers would be identical on 5 different cards.

As johnny847 pointed out, there are only 10 possible checksum digits, regardless of how much you change around the other digits. So the odds of have the same checksum on 5 randomly chosen cards should be 1 in 100,000.

True, but the cards aren't chosen at random here. We already know that the first four digits are not random. They're fixed. Digits twelve through fourteen are always 100 if the OP has never lost a card and asked for a replacement, and is not an authorized user card. This will bias your checksum digit.
I recently had an Amex replaced after I misplaced my card.  Amex advised me that every number would be exactly the same except for the last digit.  They also said that any auto-payments previously set up with my old card would be honored -- i didn't have to update auto-payments for that card, which was very nice.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3591 on: January 31, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
I finally convinced DH to move our Future Home Savings and Baby Chaskavitch's Future College/Wedding/Car/House savings to Vanguard - last Tuesday :(  I know the little bit the market has gone down since then isn't much at all, but I'm still kind of sad that I put our money in right before it went on sale.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3592 on: January 31, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of mozzarella. I don't like that much stretch in my cheese and the husband isn't fussy (I try to avoid dairy anyway due to digestive issues). We keep grated cheddar on hand (same price as the same cheap brand in block form) so I'd just be throwing that on there.

Do you use a rolling pin? I tend to just press/pull/stretch my dough into shape (then roll it for loaves) since I don't have a rolling pin (I never make pastry and usually do graham cracker crusts for pies) but I could improvise if need be.

I stretch the dough out with my fingers, leaving a little bit of a rim round the edge to catch the sauce.

highplainsdrifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3593 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
When I told my family that my wife and I are downsizing to only have one car (for her) and I will exclusively ride a bike for transportation, they offered to loan us their car for use. They think we are having money problems.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3594 on: February 01, 2017, 05:48:21 PM »
My plug-in hybrid vehicle ran on its gas engine instead of its electric motor on the way to and from the office today because it had to perform its own engine oil maintenance. Wasted a third of a gallon of gas.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3595 on: February 01, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »

We always use 3-4 cheese blends for pizza. Gives the right consistency and flavor profile. I'm not as big a fan of young cheeses like Mozzerella either, and it doesn't cost any more to mix a few together in the right proportions to really make it perfect.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3596 on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »
I stretch the dough out with my fingers, leaving a little bit of a rim round the edge to catch the sauce.

We always use 3-4 cheese blends for pizza. Gives the right consistency and flavor profile. I'm not as big a fan of young cheeses like Mozzerella either, and it doesn't cost any more to mix a few together in the right proportions to really make it perfect.

Thanks for the tips! I used the cheddar last night and it was good but my husband described it as 'really good garlic bread' rather than pizza-like. I didn't stretch the dough out enough so the edges were very big and puffed up while the middle was more crispy. Next time I will stretch it to cover the entire (square) tray. He did eat it all, though, so that's a good sign.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3597 on: February 02, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »

Thanks for the tips! I used the cheddar last night and it was good but my husband described it as 'really good garlic bread' rather than pizza-like. I didn't stretch the dough out enough so the edges were very big and puffed up while the middle was more crispy. Next time I will stretch it to cover the entire (square) tray. He did eat it all, though, so that's a good sign.

well done on the cooking there - the great things about homemade is you can keep making these little modifications until you get it perfect for your families tastes.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3598 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
I now have enough money with Fidelity that they have promoted me to their Wealth offering.

Having read the brochure, I now have an advisor (who can't advise, seems more like customer service) and get invited to monthly meetings and drinks. Tempted to actually turn up to the free drinks, it's right round the corner from where I work.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3599 on: February 02, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
My first post ever in this thread, and it's pretty minor, but the situation instantly made me think of this. Usually our payroll direct deposits on Thursdays. I keep meticulous records of our finances, so I've been checking all day, and nothing has posted yet. Minor annoyance but not a big deal for us. Plenty in checking to cover yesterday's mortgage auto-pay and preschool (who won't take a credit card, grrr for missing out on travel rewards). Credit card bill not due until 2/17, plenty of time to move money from savings to cover if necessary. They finally sent out an email this afternoon that there was an ADP issue and direct deposits SHOULD post tomorrow. My mustachian people problem is that I can NOT relate to co-workers who are flipping out about it. A one day delay should really NOT be a crisis.