Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086563 times)

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7200 on: February 17, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »
I finally managed to track down a retirement plan from an old job and get the name on to match my current name.  Now, I'm trying to roll it over into my current plan.  But my current plan is the TSP and it's so ass backwards wrt rollovers.  I have to fill out half a form and then email, mail, or fax it to the old company.  They fill out the bottom half of the form and mail it back to me with a check for what I'm rolling over.  Then I have to turn around and mail both of these items to the TSP administrators.  What a pain in the ass.  But the old company comes through and gets the check and the form in the mail the day after I request it.  Informed Delivery from the USPS says that form should have been in my mailbox when I got home from work yesterday.  It was not.  Old company says they have to wait 10 business days to re-issue check (and I'm sure there's a fee involved with that).  I'm hoping that it will arrive with today's mail, but this isn't the first time that mail has not arrived after being scanned for the email thing.  It's not even the first time that a check didn't arrive after making it past my local post office.

I have about $120 in a 457(b) plan administered by Nationwide from the time I was a substitute teacher in my hometown for 1 month in 2004.  My husband and I spent like 10 hours faxing/e-mailing/filling out forms/sitting on hold on the telephone trying to get it rolled over or even distributed (taxably) but it was literally impossible.  At some point it just wasn't worth out time for such a little bit of money so it can just rot there until I'm 70.5.

You don’t have to be 70.5 to access a 457(b) without penalties. As long as you are separated from that employer, you can just withdraw it now and pay regular income taxes on it. It’s the ultimate early retirement account.

Just to make sure this wasn't missed. I have a 457b and can take out money anytime after I leave the job regardless of age.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7201 on: February 17, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »
Today I made a pancake and wanted to use Nutella as a topping. Nice 'n creamy 'n chocolaty I thought.

Turns out, I'm so good at not using my heating that my nutella wasn't soft at all and I had to wait for it to 'melt' on the pancake instead of spreading it out immediately.

I feel like @Hirondelle got buried among the trackpad outrage. I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the time lost to your solid Nutella. Been there, you have my sympathies ;)

I have the same problem with butter. In the summer it gets too soft and sometimes melts in the dish. In the winter sometimes it's hard as a rock.

Rock hard you say?

Whats wrong with melted butter?  Just keep it in a butter heater and give it three or four good pumps per slice of bread

Wait seriously? Is that a thing? Melted butter is awesome. It’s the resolididified and or rancid that I find a bit weird. I’m not sure I would pay for heat to keep the butter melted plus something to stir it so it doesn’t separate...

Haha yeah it’s a real thing but I was joking because it’s more geared towards restaurant service where you will quickly go through butter and not have it sitting heated for like two weeks. 

FWIW I keep my butter in the fridge but I could imagine a specialized appliance that keeps your butter at exactly 90 degrees no matter what.  There are appliances like that too, but not specifically for butter

You could build your own with a butter keeper, a peltier device, and a microcontroller, but I don’t think any mustachian would waste money powering that thing
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:56:19 PM by dragoncar »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7202 on: February 17, 2020, 02:50:41 PM »
It was mildly cumbersome to put on boots and a jacket before I went outside to harvest one of our homegrown lemons for zesting.

^ @trashtalk, LOL'd at that one!

My MPP is that sometimes people who's stories you are enjoying just disappear. @surfhb is one, @serpentstooth is another. And man, I miss @sol, even though he warned us he was going.  Sometimes, people you're rooting for get themselves banned, like dagiffey01 or boarder42.

It's like I know I've forgotten something, but can't quite remember what. In my mind, they're all FIRE and living happily ever after, but the vague sense of loss is real.
MPP indeed.

Don’t worry, I heard they are all living upstate on a farm.  Lots of space to run around.  Living the FIRE life.  Boarder has a huge mortgage
Lol, I know for a fact that B42 has re-fi'd at least once since being shown the door here.

Glad to hear everyone's doing fine ;-)

Thumbs up
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:53:54 PM by BicycleB »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7203 on: February 17, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
Today I made a pancake and wanted to use Nutella as a topping. Nice 'n creamy 'n chocolaty I thought.

Turns out, I'm so good at not using my heating that my nutella wasn't soft at all and I had to wait for it to 'melt' on the pancake instead of spreading it out immediately.

I feel like @Hirondelle got buried among the trackpad outrage. I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the time lost to your solid Nutella. Been there, you have my sympathies ;)

I have the same problem with butter. In the summer it gets too soft and sometimes melts in the dish. In the winter sometimes it's hard as a rock.

Rock hard you say?

Whats wrong with melted butter?  Just keep it in a butter heater and give it three or four good pumps per slice of bread

Wait seriously? Is that a thing? Melted butter is awesome. It’s the resolididified and or rancid that I find a bit weird. I’m not sure I would pay for heat to keep the butter melted plus something to stir it so it doesn’t separate...

Haha yeah it’s a real thing but I was joking because it’s more geared towards restaurant service where you will quickly go through butter and not have it sitting heated for like two weeks. 

FWIW I keep my butter in the fridge but I could imagine a specialized appliance that keeps your butter at exactly 90 degrees no matter what.  There are appliances like that too, but not specifically for butter

You could build your own with a butter keeper, a peltier device, and a microcontroller, but I don’t think any mustachian would waste money powering that thing

I’m pretty sure adding WiFi to that would make it the prefect next hot kitchen item... I’m too close to FI to sell my soul marketing another unnecessary “must have” gadget to the American consumer through. Which brings us back to MPPs...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7204 on: February 17, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
I’m not so sure it would be a success.  There were a few years ago but I don’t see them having taken off (eg https://www.cnet.com/news/mini-fridge-warmer-keeps-drinks-cold-or-food-warm/).  That said, put wifi on it and I guess it’s a brand new thing!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7205 on: February 17, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »
I was picturing something that would hold like 2 sticks of butter. Clearly should have dreamed a little bigger.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7206 on: February 18, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »
What texture is your hair, out of curiosity ? I have really fine hair and experimented with washing it less, baby powder, and some other things like that. Nothing stuck though because ultimately my hair is so fine that any bit o grease flattens it out and makes dull and limp in a heartbeat.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7207 on: February 18, 2020, 11:23:22 PM »
What texture is your hair, out of curiosity ? I have really fine hair and experimented with washing it less, baby powder, and some other things like that. Nothing stuck though because ultimately my hair is so fine that any bit o grease flattens it out and makes dull and limp in a heartbeat.

Same as mine. It's limp unless it's frizzy. Sometimes I get a great combination of limp base and ultimate frizz topping.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7208 on: February 19, 2020, 01:24:59 AM »
@SheWhoWalksAtLunch Thanks for the heads-up re conditioner, I was wondering what the deal was.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7209 on: February 19, 2020, 01:57:42 AM »

Same as mine. It's limp unless it's frizzy. Sometimes I get a great combination of limp base and ultimate frizz topping.

You just described my hair. It's such a great combo, no? Occasionally I will skip a shampoo day in winter if I don't have to go anywhere but I also have oily skin, so my hair is pretty much wrecked by the end of day 2.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7210 on: February 19, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
@SheWhoWalksAtLunch Thanks for the heads-up re conditioner, I was wondering what the deal was.

If you're seriously considering switching over, you should know I do a quick final rinse with diluted vinegar each time I use the bar.  I've been told it re-balances the PH, but although I'm not quite sure what it does, I do know my hair is happier (smoother, shinier) on the days when I remember to use it.  The re-purposed condiment container I use to hold the rinse looks a little odd in my bathroom, but small sacrifices.  When I travel, I use one of my old tiny travel bottles to carry undiluted vinegar so I can dilute it in a cup and still have the rinse available when I shower.

I'd just like to second everything here.  I've been using shampoo bars for a few years now, and I really like them.  The diluted apple cider vinegar rinse is definitely helpful.  I don't need it as much now that I have my hair in a pixie cut, but when it was really long, it was weird and soapy feeling after a few washes without the rinse.  It also helped a lot with detangling.  Do you use regular white vinegar?  My husband hates the lingering smell of ACV, but he's a super smeller or something, I don't even notice it. 

I never thought to ask my hairstylist to dry cut my hair though, that's a good idea. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7211 on: February 21, 2020, 05:12:14 PM »
My first husband was generally very sensitive to smells and thought that I in particular had an off-odor (I swear, my sister would tell me if I did), but he never complained about either the ACV or white vinegar (with baking soda, not shampoo bar).

My new husband has almost no sense of smell, which I find vaguely reassuring.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7212 on: February 21, 2020, 07:07:17 PM »
My first husband was generally very sensitive to smells and thought that I in particular had an off-odor (I swear, my sister would tell me if I did), but he never complained about either the ACV or white vinegar (with baking soda, not shampoo bar).

My new husband has almost no sense of smell, which I find vaguely reassuring.

Maybe your first husband was less of a super-smeller and more of a dickhead. Who tells their wife she smells off??? I'm quite sure you didn't, even without the helpful sister.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7213 on: February 21, 2020, 07:48:29 PM »
What's an off odor?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7214 on: February 21, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
Who tells their wife she smells off???.

An ex-husband

That said, some people may be more or less susceptible to pheromones but usually it makes your partner smell good, not bad

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7215 on: February 22, 2020, 01:29:23 AM »

An ex-husband

That said, some people may be more or less susceptible to pheromones but usually it makes your partner smell good, not bad

I hope when he told you that you smelled off, you countered with the fact that he sounded like a c**t

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7216 on: February 22, 2020, 08:38:54 PM »
I think I read somewhere that "smell compatibility" is a thing.  For instance, DW's hair always smell's magical to me.  It doesn't matter whether it's just washed and clean or if we've been backpacking for a couple of days with no showers.  Her hair always smells great (to me).  So at least in relation to her hair, we have great "smell compatibility".

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7217 on: February 23, 2020, 03:52:56 AM »
I think I read somewhere that "smell compatibility" is a thing.  For instance, DW's hair always smell's magical to me.  It doesn't matter whether it's just washed and clean or if we've been backpacking for a couple of days with no showers.  Her hair always smells great (to me).  So at least in relation to her hair, we have great "smell compatibility".
That thing is mainly based on the difference of the immune system. The bigger the difference, the more protected offspring would be potentially.
It is also thought that this is a reason why sibling generally don't smell sexy - they have a very similar one.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #7218 on: February 23, 2020, 04:21:12 AM »

An ex-husband

I hope when he told you that you smelled off, you countered with the fact that he sounded like a c**t

I had a couple girlfriends who smelled bitter, to me. Not related at all to cleanliness since both were very clean personally. Mildly unpleasant. I certainly never mentioned it! That's just rude.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #7219 on: February 24, 2020, 03:14:49 AM »
That thing is mainly based on the difference of the immune system. The bigger the difference, the more protected offspring would be potentially.
It is also thought that this is a reason why siblings generally don't smell sexy - they have a very similar one.

Yes -- the "Sweaty T=Shirt Study."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_Wedekind

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7220 on: February 25, 2020, 01:51:31 PM »

An ex-husband

LOL, I wish I had. It's weird, though--he was really, really convinced that I had some kind of correctable health issue. He is now married to a very nice lady who I assume has a more compatible smell.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7221 on: February 25, 2020, 02:15:04 PM »

An ex-husband

LOL, I wish I had. It's weird, though--he was really, really convinced that I had some kind of correctable health issue. He is now married to a very nice lady who I assume has a more compatible smell.

You did have a correctable health issue, one that millions around the world have - a fuckwit partner.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7222 on: February 25, 2020, 02:42:28 PM »

An ex-husband

You did have a correctable health issue, one that millions around the world have - a fuckwit partner.

That made me LOL.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7223 on: February 25, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »

An ex-husband

That made me LOL.

Haha that's good, but I'm not even joking. Bad marriages are responsible for huge stress and self esteem issues. Stress kills!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7224 on: February 25, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »

An ex-husband

That made me LOL.

Haha that's good, but I'm not even joking. Bad marriages are responsible for huge stress and self esteem issues. Stress kills!

You are not wrong! Mustachianism is all about living your best life, right? So I am winning!

My MPP for the day is that it didn't even occur to me that driving my kids to school was a thing I could do, and it was bone-chilling out there with a wind that blew me sideways. The children were not happy, but I'm sure it built character.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7225 on: February 25, 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
I have a low-grade fever today.  Sat on the couch 90% of the day (without TV, just looking into space, MMM forums, etc).

Anyway, my MPP is that I still would rather make something for the family for dinner (with limited supplies because no grocery run today, so just perogies and onions or scrambled eggs and oatmeal), than have my husband get take out.

PFFT

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7226 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:44 PM »
I have a low-grade fever today.  Sat on the couch 90% of the day (without TV, just looking into space, MMM forums, etc).

Anyway, my MPP is that I still would rather make something for the family for dinner (with limited supplies because no grocery run today, so just perogies and onions or scrambled eggs and oatmeal), than have my husband get take out.

PFFT

OK I looked up your symptoms and it says you could have network connectivity problems

Perogies are delicious

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7227 on: February 26, 2020, 01:59:03 AM »

PFFT
OK I looked up your symptoms and it says you could have network connectivity problems

Perogies are delicious

I know... but dinner ended up being home made hawaiian pizza using tortilla wraps instead of making dough, to keep it easy.   Don't know what the teen will take for lunch, tomorrow, I used the sandwich ham and wraps.  PB and crackers, maybe.. 

And it isn't a problem, more of a network connectivity preference (to not watch TV  / space out instead).

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7228 on: February 26, 2020, 07:51:18 AM »

PFFT

Perogies are delicious

I know... but dinner ended up being home made hawaiian pizza using tortilla wraps instead of making dough, to keep it easy.   Don't know what the teen will take for lunch, tomorrow, I used the sandwich ham and wraps.  PB and crackers, maybe.. 

And it isn't a problem, more of a network connectivity preference (to not watch TV  / space out instead).

It's a reference to Parks and Rec.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7229 on: February 27, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »
MPP of the week: 

When I first starting out investing, losing 10% of my portfolio in a correction meant losing a couple hundred bucks, tops. 

Now it means losing about 2 years of projected post-FIRE living expenses.  ;-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7230 on: February 27, 2020, 11:05:27 AM »
MPP of the week: 

When I first starting out investing, losing 10% of my portfolio in a correction meant losing a couple hundred bucks, tops. 

Only if you were going to cash it out today, in full, which (I hope and pray) you won't be. :)

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7231 on: February 27, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
MPP of the week: 

Only if you were going to cash it out today, in full, which (I hope and pray) you won't be. :)

Definitely not cashing out--paper losses only.  But my net worth spreadsheet graph took quite a nose dive.  ;-)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7232 on: February 27, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »
MPP of the week: 

Definitely not cashing out--paper losses only.  But my net worth spreadsheet graph took quite a nose dive.  ;-)

I know the feeling. My broker only updates on Mondays and I expect to see the biggest loss ever. Last Monday I was up +35% compared to the purchase price of my index funds so realistically I'm still going to be in the green figures even if I have a 4 figure loss on paper. But I think I have the nerve to handle this. I was invested in 2008/2009 and I barely noticed the losses in December 2008. Once the money is invested it doesn't feel like my hard earned €'s anymore, it feels more like Monopoly money.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7233 on: February 27, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »
MPP of the week: 

My MPP is that I should have updated my NW spreadsheet last week when I was still over the $100k milestone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7234 on: February 27, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »
MPP of the week: 

My MPP is that I should have updated my NW spreadsheet last week when I was still over the $100k milestone.

Always update your spreadsheet on the highest day of the market.  This is a particularly useful rule because then you know the top is in and you can sell your investments

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7235 on: February 28, 2020, 04:53:47 AM »
My MPP is similar, I only keep records for the end of each month, so 2 months in a row now we've gone over the 500K mark, but at month end were/are below that.  So my spreadsheet still doesn't say that we hit that milestone :-(

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7236 on: February 28, 2020, 05:57:28 AM »
MPP of the week: 

My wife asked me about our investments today. Based on the numbers of last week we're still ahead a bit. Then she asked me to sell because she feared losing a lot of money, I said no "let it go" and this money is here to stay until it's either grown enough to quit work or we're old enough that it doesn't matter anymore :P

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7237 on: February 28, 2020, 06:04:19 AM »
My MPP is similar, I only keep records for the end of each month, so 2 months in a row now we've gone over the 500K mark, but at month end were/are below that.  So my spreadsheet still doesn't say that we hit that milestone :-(
This brought back memories!  I used to check the balance of my pension funds weekly.  I first went through the £490k barrier in May 2015 but, despite additional contributions going in every month, could I get to £500k?  I broke £490k twice in May, 4 times in June, 3 in July, 2 in August, once in October, 4 times in November, 3 in December and finally hit £500k on 1 Jan 2016.  And then dropped below again for another 3 months!

I hope your breaking of your milestone is slightly less fraught, but with the current markets I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7238 on: February 28, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »
MPP of the week: 

My wife asked me about our investments today. Based on the numbers of last week we're still ahead a bit. Then she asked me to sell because she feared losing a lot of money, I said no "let it go" and this money is here to stay until it's either grown enough to quit work or we're old enough that it doesn't matter anymore :P

Funny, my partner is the opposite! We have separate finances and he was never comfortable with investing before, so I only invested with my own money. But he's getting used to it now the more he understands about it. He told me yesterday that this is a good week to buy and I will help him to set up an investment account soon. He's probably going to start off with small amounts of money but I'm glad he's seeing the light!

We are both naturally frugal and debt-averse but investing was just something he hadn't really heard of before we met.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7239 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
MPP - I encouraged my DD to put all of her savings and student loan money into investments.  She chose a balanced fund with 60% equities.   The money that she did not need to spend for 6 months, anyway.

My real challenge this week -- to get her to still feel confident about her choices!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7240 on: February 28, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
This brought back memories!  I used to check the balance of my pension funds weekly.  I first went through the £490k barrier in May 2015 but, despite additional contributions going in every month, could I get to £500k?  I broke £490k twice in May, 4 times in June, 3 in July, 2 in August, once in October, 4 times in November, 3 in December and finally hit £500k on 1 Jan 2016.  And then dropped below again for another 3 months!

I hope your breaking of your milestone is slightly less fraught, but with the current markets I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you!
Definitely no breath is being held around here!  We do the same thing, I check weekly on Saturday morning most weeks.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7241 on: February 28, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
MPP - I encouraged my DD to put all of her savings and student loan money into investments.  She chose a balanced fund with 60% equities.   The money that she did not need to spend for 6 months, anyway.

My real challenge this week -- to get her to still feel confident about her choices!
That seems like a very aggressive AA for money you need in six months. If it were me I would be in a money market.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7242 on: February 28, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »

DW received an email today from her employers retirement investment adviser cautioning people against over reacting to the virus and copied me when she wrote back:

Hi ____,
Thanks for the update. I appreciate your thoroughness in planning. While I also expect Cornonavirus to be a non-issue in Alaska and am a “buy and hold” investor, it’s good to think about possible scenarios. DH and I were just discussing this morning that if the market dips below a 35% drop, we need to rearrange our spending a bit to buy in more while the stocks are on sale. ;-)
Cheers,

MPP avoided!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7243 on: February 28, 2020, 08:15:57 PM »

That seems like a very aggressive AA for money you need in six months. If it were me I would be in a money market.

I agree!   Stocks are for long term gains, not six months!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7244 on: February 29, 2020, 01:09:21 AM »

I promised I would make up any losses by the time she needs to withdraw it.   Most of it won't be needed for 2+ years.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #7245 on: March 01, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
Tax season has started, and this is the first year that I do not get a refund but have to pay back due to my savings and investments. Of course I should not complain, as this is a very comfortable position to be in financially, but I am grumbling all the same. And I can't complain to anyone I know because that would indicate the level of my savings and investments. Grumble...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7246 on: March 01, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »
Tax season has started, and this is the first year that I do not get a refund but have to pay back due to my savings and investments. Of course I should not complain, as this is a very comfortable position to be in financially, but I am grumbling all the same. And I can't complain to anyone I know because that would indicate the level of my savings and investments. Grumble...

Hey, you got a free loan from the government instead of giving them a free loan!  This is good!

LaserLemon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7247 on: March 01, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
I have no idea what the "normal" period for replacing car tires is. After latest service the mechanic let me know I should get new ones. I found the old receipt - I've had these on for 7 years. Still got around fine this winter. Biking and walking really cut down on car use :)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7248 on: March 01, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
Just moved into a new house with a dishwasher. Hooray! But we only have a set of four plates and four bowls and a handful of glasses. Not enough to fill up the dishwasher.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7249 on: March 01, 2020, 11:49:56 PM »
Portfolio went down last week more $ than many people make in a year. Is this a mustachian problem, a humblebrag, or both?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!