Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086675 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5400 on: August 02, 2018, 03:43:30 PM »
A cheque is the British spelling of check. I was born in the mid-80s and I've encountered them a ton and still do. The main difference now is that we deposit them via mobile app instead of in person. Are they just not used in Germany? What is the common safe method of person-to-person transactions there?

The last time I used a check in Sweden was in 1998 and they were rare even back then.  Person-to-person transactions here are normally in cash, direct bank transfers (quick and free) or a mobile payment system called Swish (instant, and free between individuals).

We have Zelle and Venmo here in the US. They haven't gained enough traction to take the place of important transactions though.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5401 on: August 02, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
A cheque is the British spelling of check. I was born in the mid-80s and I've encountered them a ton and still do. The main difference now is that we deposit them via mobile app instead of in person. Are they just not used in Germany? What is the common safe method of person-to-person transactions there?

The last time I used a check in Sweden was in 1998 and they were rare even back then.  Person-to-person transactions here are normally in cash, direct bank transfers (quick and free) or a mobile payment system called Swish (instant, and free between individuals).

We have Zelle and Venmo here in the US. They haven't gained enough traction to take the place of important transactions though.

I think that may be generational, too though. I've used venmo to accept money selling my wedding dress, we used it to get paid back from the attendants of my BIL's bachelor party, etc. I think it's pretty common in the mid to late 20s group?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5402 on: August 02, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »

I think that may be generational, too though. I've used venmo to accept money selling my wedding dress, we used it to get paid back from the attendants of my BIL's bachelor party, etc. I think it's pretty common in the mid to late 20s group?

I am Australian and I dont think I have ever used a cheque.

Either just pay with card or direct bank transfer. My friends will just put money straight from their account into mine. We dont need to use a third party app like vemo, everyones bank can do it online. we have been doing this since before I was 18, though obviously only on smart phones since they became common

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5403 on: August 02, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »
Oh yes, here in the USA we love our byzantine methods of transferring money!

Want to send it electronically?  You can do it with something called "ACH" which can take up to about a week for the actual funds to make it to the destination.  Want it faster?  You can do a "Wire Transfer" which is almost-instant, but has fees ranging from about $20-$50, usually on both ends of the transaction for sending and receiving. And it's only available for certain hours of the day (business hours -- and sometimes the "window" to do it closes "early".)  And usually you need to fill out about 5 or 6 fields on a web page (or even sign paperwork in person) to do this, and potentially have to verify it over a phone call.

Oh, just peer to peer transfers?  Yeah, there's Zelle and Venmo, but they aren't universally supported by every bank and/or credit union... and they have low daily limits.  Just enough to pay a monthly rent bill on a cheap rental... but anything more than a couple grand or so, and you're out of luck.

And yes, and then there are "Checks" -- where you are basically giving the other person a piece of paper that has your own account number on it, along with your name and address!  What could possibly go wrong?

Want to do cash?  Well, most ATMs have daily limits of a few hundred dollars... and if you try to withdraw several thousand dollars at a teller, you are given funny looks, and potentially have your "information reported" to the IRS.

Yeah, it's great...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5404 on: August 02, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »
Oh yes, here in the USA we love our byzantine methods of transferring money!

Want to send it electronically?  You can do it with something called "ACH" which can take up to about a week for the actual funds to make it to the destination.  Want it faster?  You can do a "Wire Transfer" which is almost-instant, but has fees ranging from about $20-$50, usually on both ends of the transaction for sending and receiving. And it's only available for certain hours of the day (business hours -- and sometimes the "window" to do it closes "early".)  And usually you need to fill out about 5 or 6 fields on a web page (or even sign paperwork in person) to do this, and potentially have to verify it over a phone call.

Oh, just peer to peer transfers?  Yeah, there's Zelle and Venmo, but they aren't universally supported by every bank and/or credit union... and they have low daily limits.  Just enough to pay a monthly rent bill on a cheap rental... but anything more than a couple grand or so, and you're out of luck.

And yes, and then there are "Checks" -- where you are basically giving the other person a piece of paper that has your own account number on it, along with your name and address!  What could possibly go wrong?

Want to do cash?  Well, most ATMs have daily limits of a few hundred dollars... and if you try to withdraw several thousand dollars at a teller, you are given funny looks, and potentially have your "information reported" to the IRS.

Yeah, it's great...

I read somewhere once that Australia and NZ are often the places for financial companies to try out new ideas as we are relatively rich countries with a small population so its easy enough to role out. Also in Australia we have 4 main banks that most people use so that probably helps as well.

But transferring cash from one bank account to another, either happens straight away or takes a day and is free, I dont know of any bank that doesnt offer this via online banking.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5405 on: August 02, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »
In the UK, I can log on to online banking, spend five minutes setting up a direct payment, and it is credited to the beneficiary's account within two hours.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #5406 on: August 02, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
Zelle, Venmo...  PayPal, invented in US by Elon Musk (his first fortune) ... Google Pay works quite well, I collect with it... Apple Pay...  yes checks / wire transfers / cash...  America has lots of payment systems, just like we have many brands of soap...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5407 on: August 02, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Zelle, Venmo...  PayPal, invented in US by Elon Musk (his first fortune) ... Google Pay works quite well, I collect with it... Apple Pay...  yes checks / wire transfers / cash...  America has lots of payment systems, just like we have many brands of soap...

But wouldnt it be easier to just transfer direct from one bank account to another (from any bank to any bank) without having to sign up for a third party app?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5408 on: August 02, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »

But wouldnt it be easier to just transfer direct from one bank account to another (from any bank to any bank) without having to sign up for a third party app?

It really would, and I have no idea why they wouldn’t roll it out. Could be regulatory because then they could have easily obliterated paypal

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5409 on: August 02, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »

In the Swish app available in my country, the app is owned by the major banks.  The app really makes it simpler, and ties the transfer to a phone number (which most people remember or can find out easily) rather than a long bank account number which you don't use in everyday life.

And bank transfers here normally takes a few hours, or overnight - while the Swish app really is instantaneous.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5410 on: August 03, 2018, 12:48:07 AM »

In the Swish app available in my country, the app is owned by the major banks.  The app really makes it simpler, and ties the transfer to a phone number (which most people remember or can find out easily) rather than a long bank account number which you don't use in everyday life.

And bank transfers here normally takes a few hours, or overnight - while the Swish app really is instantaneous.

we now have transfers using your phone number or email if you want to set it up, but its still just through the banks online system not a different one. Using this is suppose to make it instant.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5411 on: August 03, 2018, 06:10:06 AM »
Planet Money did an episode on this in 2013 and revisited the topic recently but there wasn't much to update. If I remember rightly, it's a little bit of the U.S. being so large and complex and having so many financial institutions that it's a problem on a much, much larger scale than it is in, say, Britain. It's also a little bit of the U.S. financial system as a whole not feeling like it's much of a priority. I'm curious how stuff like Venmo will impact that in the next ten to twenty years.

Thing is though, within Europe (eurozone) I can still transfer money cost-free, hassle-free, it just might take 2 days or so. Only additional thing I need is a BIC code on top of the IBAN code. And that's with tons of country-specific banks that don't exist in any of the other countries, way worse than the US where there's a couple major banks that are all over the place. I get it's not the easiest country to implement such a thing coming from another system, but it's also no excuse to stay 10 years behind the rest of the (developed) world :)

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5412 on: August 03, 2018, 07:48:59 AM »
I find it very interesting how many people are saying they've never written or received a physical cheque.   I got one last week from 'checkout 51', which is a rebate app here in Canada.  I don't write many physical cheques, as others have said, etransfer is easier.  However it has a $3,000 daily limit.  I guess my MPP problem is that I write cheques bigger than that.  (we're having our dream retirement home built, so there are a few 'big' cheques being written).

But even without that - Never written or received a cheque - wow.  Never gotten a cheque as a gift?  Never written a cheque as a gift?  (after receiving over $10K in cash as wedding gifts many years ago and having to deal with getting it to the bank, I never gift cash at weddings)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5413 on: August 03, 2018, 08:12:15 AM »
Are they just not used in Germany? What is the common safe method of person-to-person transactions there?

No private person uses them, and as I said, most banks even do them anymore for privates, and some not even for businesses.

If you want to transfer money, you just "tell" your bank to transfer it to the other person's account. In the past by filling out a paper and giving it to a bank employee, now with your card on the machine or just online.

Cost-free in (normally) one work-day as long as I was old enough to do money things.

With SEPA system you can transfer to all Euro banks. I think since this year also with the limit of one day.

Interestingly this year the Sparkasse(n) (the most conservatives) have started an "instant" transfer service. But most of them charge for that.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5414 on: August 03, 2018, 08:41:14 AM »

You don't have to sign up for Zelle, it's built-in to a lot of bank accounts.

Are they just not used in Germany? What is the common safe method of person-to-person transactions there?

No private person uses them, and as I said, most banks even do them anymore for privates, and some not even for businesses.

If you want to transfer money, you just "tell" your bank to transfer it to the other person's account. In the past by filling out a paper and giving it to a bank employee, now with your card on the machine or just online.

Cost-free in (normally) one work-day as long as I was old enough to do money things.

With SEPA system you can transfer to all Euro banks. I think since this year also with the limit of one day.

Interestingly this year the Sparkasse(n) (the most conservatives) have started an "instant" transfer service. But most of them charge for that.
Interesting, thanks!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5415 on: August 03, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
Planet Money did an episode on this in 2013 and revisited the topic recently but there wasn't much to update. If I remember rightly, it's a little bit of the U.S. being so large and complex and having so many financial institutions that it's a problem on a much, much larger scale than it is in, say, Britain. It's also a little bit of the U.S. financial system as a whole not feeling like it's much of a priority. I'm curious how stuff like Venmo will impact that in the next ten to twenty years.

We already have a perfectly workable system, the push ACH deposit.  Banks just have to allow regular people to do a push without authorization

I wonder in Europe are there weird scams where people send you money unsolicited and then try to extort you?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5416 on: August 03, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »
I find it very interesting how many people are saying they've never written or received a physical cheque.   I got one last week from 'checkout 51', which is a rebate app here in Canada.  I don't write many physical cheques, as others have said, etransfer is easier.  However it has a $3,000 daily limit.  I guess my MPP problem is that I write cheques bigger than that.  (we're having our dream retirement home built, so there are a few 'big' cheques being written).

But even without that - Never written or received a cheque - wow.  Never gotten a cheque as a gift?  Never written a cheque as a gift?  (after receiving over $10K in cash as wedding gifts many years ago and having to deal with getting it to the bank, I never gift cash at weddings)

I'm 28 and I've never seen a physical check in my life.

People either get cash from an ATM, pay by card in a store, or do a wire transfer. I got my own bank account (with a debit card) when I turned 12, which is the traditional age to open a bank account in my country, and I remember the first year I had a bank account, I did wire transfers on paper  - write a paper slip that looks kind of like a check, put it in a free envelope, send it to the bank and they manually processed the transfer. This would take 2-3 days. After that we got internet at home and I started using online banking.

For the past 5 years or so, nearly everyone under the age of 60 has had an online banking app on their smartphone, that allows you to transfer money from your phone. Those transactions are instant if you're paying to the same bank, or the same day when it goes to another bank.

The banks in my country have also developed an online payment system together (paypal-ish) that all banks and all major webshops participate in.

For gifts, I have always received gift certificates, cash or wire transfers (from my parents, for my birthday). In my country it would be very unusual for someone to receive 10k in cash as a wedding gift, but potentially, if you have a massive wedding with 300 guests, I guess that could happen. Giving large sums of money is pretty uncommon here. I wouldn't even know where to get a check if I wanted to write one - I have no idea if my bank still uses checks at all. I think technically it's still possible to do a wire transfer on paper, but not even my 85-year old grandma does that anymore. Checks have not been commonly used in my lifetime.

In my job, I do a lot of international payments, and no country has such a bad system for wire transfers as the USA. All transactions within Europe are easy, and international wire transfers to far away places like Australia, China or the middle east are no problem. But wire transfers to and from the US take a long time, are expensive and you need to fill in all the details of the reciepient and their bank to make sure the payment arrives. Another additional problem are international payments in USD. They need to go through an intermediate bank in the US and this costs money and delays the payment.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5417 on: August 03, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
That's pretty stark! I hope we upgrade before getting completely left out of the global economy.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #5418 on: August 03, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
Wow. I pay my gardener* by check at his request (and mail it tk his PO box; how quaint!). He lives in the neighborhood, and I keep meaning to ask where exactly so I can just drop off the check. I'd much rather do an account transfer.

I get a rent check from the roommates monthly, and any stipend work I do outside my district is paid by check (and rare). That's about it! It's too bad, too, since the checks I use are DC Comics themed (silver age) and pretty cool. :p

*No facepunches for the gardener, please. It's one of the costs of physical disability.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5419 on: August 03, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
I rented for a while and our landlord demanded a cheque . . . so I got a chequebook from my bank and learned out to write them for that purpose.  Haven't used one before or since though . . . and I'm 37.  Do grocery stores and the like even take cheques any more?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5420 on: August 03, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »
I rented for a while and our landlord demanded a cheque . . . so I got a chequebook from my bank and learned out to write them for that purpose.  Haven't used one before or since though . . . and I'm 37.  Do grocery stores and the like even take cheques any more?
I know that the grocery store I frequent near work definitely takes checks (Jewel-Osco for you midwesterners).  They were updating their checkout systems recently and had a big sign saying that if you write a check for the first time past x date, you'll have to show your ID or something.

I've certainly never used one there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1epEtB0lVo&feature=youtu.be&t=166

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5421 on: August 03, 2018, 11:36:23 PM »
I have checks and use them on occasion, but not enough to have needed to buy another box of them within the past 15+ years. I prefer e-transfer or credit card when possible. The last time I used a check was for a wedding gift.

I also have a tenant who prefers to pay with post-dated checks. Works for me just fine especially since I can use E-deposit and don’t have to go to the bank.

Also my health insurance rebates used to all be sent via check, until I set up automatic deposit.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #5422 on: August 03, 2018, 11:55:25 PM »
With all the talk about "Who even uses checks anymore?" all I could think about is rent and tithing at church.

Well, and the DMV. (Which would also take cash, but wont take my debit card... so since I hardly ever carry cash, check it is).

I just realized I may use checks more often than I use cash. 24 years old for reference.

Also, I tried to send money to a friend of the same age using Zelle, and she couldn't figure out how to get the money and the money got sent back to me.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5423 on: August 04, 2018, 12:11:48 AM »
MPP - I didn't need the extra income, but I really want to live overseas as an expat.  I'm going to make extra money that I don't need, so I sold some aggressive investments that I don't need the gains from to counterbalance against taking any risk to make 'extra' gains.  I just want to be FatFIRE, not necessarily 'obeseFIRE'.

I even had Mustachians jump on me for this, so maybe it's a UberMustachian People Problem?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5424 on: August 04, 2018, 12:35:55 AM »
MPP - I didn't need the extra income, but I really want to live overseas as an expat.  I'm going to make extra money that I don't need, so I sold some aggressive investments that I don't need the gains from to counterbalance against taking any risk to make 'extra' gains.  I just want to be FatFIRE, not necessarily 'obeseFIRE'.

I even had Mustachians jump on me for this, so maybe it's a UberMustachian People Problem?

Expat life can be great. If you get too obeseFIRE - how about just giving the money away?
(depending on the country you'd expat in you could do a lot of good there, or just back home, or just anywhere)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5425 on: August 04, 2018, 12:47:03 AM »

Expat life can be great. If you get too obeseFIRE - how about just giving the money away?
(depending on the country you'd expat in you could do a lot of good there, or just back home, or just anywhere)

Quite a long time ago, in my 20's and on my first expat assignment, I dreampt about being rich enough to use my chemical engineering background and self-funding to make third-world countries cleaner on a large scale (water and steam scrubbers, oil-in-water filters, gas-flotation units...).  I'm starting to get excited about jumping in and  (knowing what I know now) use the internet to try to leverage my cause!  No downside and plenty of upside, possibly for everyone for minimal costs (if enough people contribute a small amount)!  Just need to be more 'Pete' about making it exciting.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5426 on: August 04, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »

Lol, you only got jumped on because you made an inflammatory post in the market timing thread with no context

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5427 on: August 04, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »

Lol, you only got jumped on because you made an inflammatory post in the market timing thread with no context

Now I understand why you did it! At the time, I thought you were joking.

Well, all of your plans make sense. Good luck in your new adventures, @EscapeVelocity2020!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5428 on: August 04, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »
Cheques  - I use for rent and membership payment in some groups, and for some courses with those groups, and paying some contractors.  Otherwise?   I use my credit card - most transactions are within my Tap limit, so I am in danger of forgetting my PIN number.  I use cash so little, $100 in my wallet lasts a few months.

It's not an age thing (look at my name), it is a country/banking thing.

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5429 on: August 11, 2018, 02:21:57 AM »
Cheques  - I use for rent and membership payment in some groups, and for some courses with those groups, and paying some contractors.  Otherwise?   I use my credit card - most transactions are within my Tap limit, so I am in danger of forgetting my PIN number.  I use cash so little, $100 in my wallet lasts a few months.

It's not an age thing (look at my name), it is a country/banking thing.

I ordered a chequebook for my current account 'just in case' I needed it a few months ago and until I read this comment it hadn't clicked that I haven't actually received it yet, because all the contractors and services that I've used since have accepted PayPal...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5430 on: August 11, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
I'm having a guy do some patching in my house (leftovers from electrical project to rewire the whole house, this is not a small job). Was talking to him yesterday and finalize details since he's coming Monday. My mom is coming to supervise, since I'll be at work. Told him that I would leave a check with mom, once the work is done she'd pay him. He asked for payment in cash.

I don't carry cash. This is going to be $700ish. I'm going to have to go into the branch to get that much cash.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5431 on: August 12, 2018, 11:17:15 PM »
You could see if Amazon sells gift cards to any other stores you are more likely to shop at, or smaller denomination cards you could give as gifts. E.g. there are a lot of grocery store chains that you can buy gift cards for on Amazon.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5432 on: August 13, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »
You could see if Amazon sells gift cards to any other stores you are more likely to shop at, or smaller denomination cards you could give as gifts. E.g. there are a lot of grocery store chains that you can buy gift cards for on Amazon.

Right on— leading up to prime day I got Safeway gift cards for 20% off (Amex deal - I used one reward point and paid the rest with amazon GC).  That was a smokin deal but other deals still pop up every year

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #5433 on: August 13, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
I have three MPPs related to my new 401k

1. The money doesn't post to the 401k company until the Thursday after- why is there a 6 day delay? This drives me nuts.
2. I like to take 3 months of unpaid vacation a year, minimum. I want to take off for the rest of the year starting October. But in spite of my best efforts of putting 92% of my taxed income in over this 13 week assignment, I will be 2k short of meeting the $18,500 401k max.  And I will have to work at least two more weeks this year. Argh.
3. It's very possible I'm missing out on the matching from my company by dumping it all in over only 15 weeks, but dear Maker, I cannot stand the idea of working all the months of a year to make that happen.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #5434 on: August 13, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
Oh yes. I got an Amazon Gift Card from my Recruiter as a thank you for working for them.

I thought to myself, "I should buy something splurgey!"

I've gone through my wish list and Hold list and I came up with Nada.  I don't even know why I bother with a wish list, because If I really want something, I'd just buy it.

I finally decided yesterday that perhaps I could use it to rent movies to watch with husband on our vacation, as he does like movies far more than I do.

Which isn't exactly a splurge for me, but does give warm fuzzies of essentially using a gift to gift my husband.

But man, it took me three weeks to come up with that solution. Otherwise, probably would have spent it on laundry detergent for our Subscribe and Save

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #5435 on: August 13, 2018, 10:48:57 PM »
Re Checks: I am 31 and have used checks frequently since my first bank account at 17. I would much rather write a check than download yet one more way to pay someone.

I have cash, debit, credit, PayPal, and a check. Done. No more. Accept my method of payment or I don't want it anymore.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #5436 on: August 14, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »
My mustachian problem is my company only allows me to contribute up to 25% of my income into my 401k. I can't max my 401k (although I'm close)  with only 25%!! ;(

I seriously don't understand why they'd restrict us, and I'm sure I'm the only one who emailed HR politely suggesting to allow me to contribute more haha

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5437 on: August 14, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
I just did a long-overdue reassessment of my asset allocation. As part of that, I needed to sell one fund in my IRA and buy another fund.

In doing this, I found out that $1,000 has been sitting around in a money market fund for A YEAR AND A HALF. I have no idea how that happened, and I'm really kicking myself for it.

Because the fund I want to buy has a $3,000 minimum, I had to do the transfer from the old real fund to the new one, and then WAIT until that goes through and transfer the remaining $1,000.

So annoying.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5438 on: August 14, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
Re Checks: I am 31 and have used checks frequently since my first bank account at 17. I would much rather write a check than download yet one more way to pay someone.

I have cash, debit, credit, PayPal, and a check. Done. No more. Accept my method of payment or I don't want it anymore.

35 years old in US. I write checks for daycare monthly and for small business such as pick-your-own-fruit and beekeeping supplies where they only take cash or check to avoid the credit card fees. I wish the US had a better way to transfer between people. I made a large purchase for my mom the other day and she mailed me a check, which I then had to take down to deposit.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5439 on: August 15, 2018, 01:23:09 AM »
A year ago I bought some sports shoes on sale that I use frequently to walk to work (on average 15 kms a day, twice a week). They fit very well and have a membrane.
This summer i saw they was a hole in them on the side on my shoe. Probably a construction mistake by using a very stiff and a very smooth material beside each other.
I can go back to the shop where I bought it. I found the receipt. But the shop is 20 kms driving away. We don't expect them to give me back a whole new pair of shoes. They will probably offer me to buy a full-price new pair for some reduction.
I don't think I will even bother to try.
So far, I'm still using the shoes with the holes. I don't notice it when walking, they are just not waterproof anymore.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5440 on: August 15, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
A year ago I bought some sports shoes on sale that I use frequently to walk to work (on average 15 kms a day, twice a week). They fit very well and have a membrane.
This summer i saw they was a hole in them on the side on my shoe. Probably a construction mistake by using a very stiff and a very smooth material beside each other.
I can go back to the shop where I bought it. I found the receipt. But the shop is 20 kms driving away. We don't expect them to give me back a whole new pair of shoes. They will probably offer me to buy a full-price new pair for some reduction.
So far, I'm still using the shoes with the holes. I don't notice it when walking, they are just not waterproof anymore.

You can get money back for year old shoes that have received heavy use and become worn out?

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5441 on: August 15, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
...most transactions are within my Tap limit, so I am in danger of forgetting my PIN number. ...
+1  It's getting so I have a moment of mild panic when I go to pay something over £30 and suddenly realise I will have to remember what the PIN is on my card!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5442 on: August 15, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »
...most transactions are within my Tap limit, so I am in danger of forgetting my PIN number. ...
+1  It's getting so I have a moment of mild panic when I go to pay something over £30 and suddenly realise I will have to remember what the PIN is on my card!

I need to request a new PIN for my credit card, because I totally forgot it. I only ever use it for online purchases so I don't normally need a PIN.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #5443 on: August 15, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »

I make up "words" with my pin instead of remembering the number.  I went to one place that didn't have the letters on the number keys and was momentarily struck that I wouldn't know the number.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5444 on: August 15, 2018, 04:54:01 PM »
We retired in May of this year.

I lost track of what day it was and was late paying the bills this week!   Oops!

I'm having to change my system on how I do things because the regular workweek and its structure don't apply anymore.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5445 on: August 15, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »

I make up "words" with my pin instead of remembering the number.  I went to one place that didn't have the letters on the number keys and was momentarily struck that I wouldn't know the number.

This is what I do too! Most of my PINs have some sort of meaning. However I just switched bank accounts and now the bank gave me a PIN. Still need to come up with some mental link to it.

My credit card PIN is also mentally 'linked' to my first bank account PIN code, so I'm afraid that if I forget that one I'll forget the credit card one too (esp as it's never used).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5446 on: August 15, 2018, 11:27:17 PM »

This is what I do too! Most of my PINs have some sort of meaning. However I just switched bank accounts and now the bank gave me a PIN. Still need to come up with some mental link to it.

My credit card PIN is also mentally 'linked' to my first bank account PIN code, so I'm afraid that if I forget that one I'll forget the credit card one too (esp as it's never used).

I use a PIN based on the Card number, so it’s different for each of my various cards.  For example, first, third, fifth and last digit (it’s not that of course)

Sure you might forget your code, but you could keep a note in your phone “1,3,5,16” and nobody would know what it meant even if hacked

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5447 on: August 16, 2018, 12:50:57 AM »
Some years ago the back door to my workplace used a 4 digit PIN.  I always knew I was in for a bad day when I found I'd tried to use my bank PIN...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5448 on: August 16, 2018, 01:05:14 AM »

You can get money back for year old shoes that have received heavy use and become worn out?

The rest of the shoe is fine. It just those 2 holes. It very much looks like a construction error.
But I also don't think they will be willing to give money back.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #5449 on: August 16, 2018, 03:34:21 AM »

35 years old in US. I write checks for daycare monthly and for small business such as pick-your-own-fruit and beekeeping supplies where they only take cash or check to avoid the credit card fees. I wish the US had a better way to transfer between people. I made a large purchase for my mom the other day and she mailed me a check, which I then had to take down to deposit.

A few years ago after I finished school I moved to a small town for my first professional job. I had to order checks for the first time in my life because that’s all my landlord would accept, same for my city run utilities, plus half the small businesses in town only accepted cash or checks. Up until that point I barely carried cash let alone a check book. Also, I seems like anytime I want to set up an ACH they require a void check to do so.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!