Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086949 times)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2750 on: June 15, 2016, 07:43:34 PM »
Hah! I just realized I have no idea what the interest rate is on any of my cards. I would assume around 20%, since that's a common number in Canada.

I'm with you there.  Someone a few weeks ago asked what my interest rate was, told them I had no idea and didn't care.  They were shocked, "but you are so good with money."  Yup, good enough to not pay interest. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2751 on: June 16, 2016, 02:17:28 AM »

I've found the best way to relieve stress about money is to track it.  No matter what your salary range is, or your savings rate, half of the stress is not knowing.  Find your favorite way to track your money, I use Personal Capital but there are others that are just fine.  Now that half your stress is gone, look at the data and figure out a plan to your goal.  Stress gone.

I track every penny using YNAB. Have for years. In fact, I can tell you every single penny that has crossed my path since 2005.

I actually think my excessive tracking may be causing some of the stress - just goes to show how we all react differently!

With YNAB I am so clear on what I do and don't have money for - I constantly have to shift money from one category to another. Which is good because it makes me scrupulously honest about my priorities. I'd like to think I'm saving for some new furniture, but actually, I can see that I've spent it on a holiday instead.

But at the same time, I spend a lot of time and energy trying to balance the budget, robbing Peter to pay Paul. I think an extra £150 of leeway each month could really reduce stress. And might also contribute to me eating better. The grocery budget always seems to be the one I have most control over and therefore ends up getting cut.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2752 on: June 16, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
I was telling a coworker about my new Chase Southwest Visa that I got specifically to get the 50,000 bonus miles.

Coworker:  Oh yeah...what is the interest rate??
Me:  I don't know.
-

Hah! I just realized I have no idea what the interest rate is on any of my cards. I would assume around 20%, since that's a common number in Canada.

Yeah, I don't know my rates either. Or my credit limits!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2753 on: June 16, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »

I'm aware of my credit limits, but only because I churn credit cards and sometimes needs to lower my limits (e.g. when I applied for my 4th and 5th Citi AA Platinum cards or my 3rd Chase card).  It's also useful to know so you can keep your utilization rates low on any given card when hitting your minimum bonus spend.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2754 on: June 16, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »

I'm with you there.  Someone a few weeks ago asked what my interest rate was, told them I had no idea and didn't care.  They were shocked, "but you are so good with money."  Yup, good enough to not pay interest.

No idea what mine are. Or what the limits are.  Or when payday is.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #2755 on: June 16, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
Each day we work (so not on holidays or sickness), we get this "food-money" on a special bank card that we can only spend at the supermarket, places who provide food like sandwiches, croissants, ... So basically you buy food with it, although you can also buy washing powder and other stuff from the supermarket. Expires after a year being unused. It's also a tax advantage for the employer instead of raising wages. 

So in january they raised it from 6€/day to 8€/day which is awesome. So that's around 160€ a month for supermarket money. Except I'm not capable of spending it all. I now have a 220€ surplus. I already had friends over twice for a dinner party this month, cooked for them and bought A-brand drinks and chips/crisps for their visit. But it's still rising...

Good thing I'm having a 3.5 week holiday coming up so it goes down again... So yeah, it's a Mustachian problem!

Sounds to me you're a fellow Belgian... If this is the case don't forget to mention the "ecocheques" (I guess they've also morphed into an "ecocard" by now) which allows you to buy ecoconscious items, organic food etc... It was around 250€ per year for me but it was 4 years ago.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:44:09 AM by Polaria »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2756 on: June 16, 2016, 11:43:10 AM »

I'm aware of my credit limits, but only because I churn credit cards and sometimes needs to lower my limits (e.g. when I applied for my 4th and 5th Citi AA Platinum cards or my 3rd Chase card).  It's also useful to know so you can keep your utilization rates low on any given card when hitting your minimum bonus spend.

I figure the interest rates are somewhere in the 15%-25% range, but I don't know them. My credit limit I know roughly (~$110k). Insane but whatever :P.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2757 on: June 16, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »

I figure the interest rates are somewhere in the 15%-25% range, but I don't know them. My credit limit I know roughly (~$110k). Insane but whatever :P.

Yeah, I have a vague idea of my credit limits, but that's only because they send me letters every few months telling me they've upped the limit.  25K* or so for each of my two cards.

*As an aside, I had a weird realization a couple years back. One of my friends (very anti-mustachian) was buying a car from a low/no credit car business. He got financed on about a 15K car at !!!! 24.9%. I was talking to my wife about this, and said something like "My credit card rate is only 13.9%!"  It was at that point I realized I could have purchased that car with my credit card, and come out ahead of my friend. SMH.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #2758 on: June 16, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
Yeah, I have a vague idea of my credit limits, but that's only because they send me letters every few months telling me they've upped the limit.  25K* or so for each of my two cards.

*As an aside, I had a weird realization a couple years back. One of my friends (very anti-mustachian) was buying a car from a low/no credit car business. He got financed on about a 15K car at !!!! 24.9%. I was talking to my wife about this, and said something like "My credit card rate is only 13.9%!"  It was at that point I realized I could have purchased that car with my credit card, and come out ahead of my friend. SMH.
As an aside to your aside, you probably could not have bought the car with a credit card.  In my few times of trying to use a credit card during a car purchase, the dealers would only allow some of the purchase to be with the credit card, maybe $3,000 max.   Maybe if they are desperate for a sale they would let you use the credit card for all of it - I don't know.  In one case I was able to use a 0% - $0 fee convenience check for the purchase (actually, I had to use a personal check, and then use the convenience check to fill my bank account back up.  I called the CC company and they said they would allow it with $0 fee since the dealership didn't want to accept their check).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2759 on: June 16, 2016, 05:10:35 PM »

As an aside to your aside, you probably could not have bought the car with a credit card.  In my few times of trying to use a credit card during a car purchase, the dealers would only allow some of the purchase to be with the credit card, maybe $3,000 max.   Maybe if they are desperate for a sale they would let you use the credit card for all of it - I don't know.  In one case I was able to use a 0% - $0 fee convenience check for the purchase (actually, I had to use a personal check, and then use the convenience check to fill my bank account back up.  I called the CC company and they said they would allow it with $0 fee since the dealership didn't want to accept their check).

From the anecdotes I've seen they'll let you use a cc if you offer to pay an extra 3% or whatever their cc processing fee is.

Somebody posted on reddit how he/she did this during Discover's Apple Pay promo (get 10% back on all purchases through Apple Pay), paying 3% extra to the dealership but getting 10% (well really, 10.3%, since they're getting 10% cashback on the 3% fee too) back from Discover.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2760 on: June 16, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
I'm surprised dealerships take Apple Pay

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2761 on: June 16, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »
I'm surprised dealerships take Apple Pay

Me too, but here's the anecdote

I used my Discover It with Apple Pay to put 10k down for a new car for 20% cash back. I offered to pay the 3% processing fee (otherwise max on card was $2500). Win win for everyone. They got a happy customer and 3% processing fee covered for a whole $10,000 and I will get $1700 in cash back.

I forgot this guy also had the double your cash back in the first year promo, so he got 20% back, not 10%.

And as for how he found a dealership accepting Apple Pay
Dumb luck. I asked if they accepted it, they said no, I noticed the credit card machine they had an NFC logo on it. So I just asked to try.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3zgrdv/purchasing_car_on_credit_card_then_transferring/cym25j8
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:23:51 PM by johnny847 »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2762 on: June 16, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »
I was stood in the kitchen looking at the sunlight filtering in through the window and let out such a massive sigh of contentment that I scared the dog.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2763 on: June 16, 2016, 11:55:47 PM »
MPP: I got a significant raise when I changed jobs a couple months ago, but since I ramped up my 401k contribution and index fund investments when that happened, it doesn't feel like I have any more money in my pocket.

Yep, I haven't had a payrise (in effect) in years. Sure puts a pay to lifestyle inflation! But I am considering filling out the budget a bit when we get savings from a lower mortgage rate next month. I feel I am starting to cause myself stress from trying to save money, and that's counter-productive.

I've found the best way to relieve stress about money is to track it.  No matter what your salary range is, or your savings rate, half of the stress is not knowing.  Find your favorite way to track your money, I use Personal Capital but there are others that are just fine.  Now that half your stress is gone, look at the data and figure out a plan to your goal.  Stress gone.

For you. For me knowing exactly how much debt I have is more stress...how can I save even more to kill it faster.... holy crap, how many years still to FI?! Once I kill the mortgage I plan to go back to paying less attention. I have always been good at saving and paying more attention doesn't really cause me to save much extra, but it does seem to add some stress. Sure, I will spend a small amount more, but I will be less stressed. Having a vague notion of 5 or 6 years to go and assuming 6 is less stressful than trying to get the actual number to go from 5.6 to 5.4. Heck, I don't know the actual number and I'm currently glad I don't. I do know the actual mortgage number is 23 months at my planned payoff rate and December 2020 at the minimum payment rate. My next goal after that is getting my taxable accounts to 100k which I consider to be the property tax endowment. This goal might actually happen prior to the mortgage being paid off.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2764 on: June 17, 2016, 01:40:38 AM »
I was stood in the kitchen looking at the sunlight filtering in through the window and let out such a massive sigh of contentment that I scared the dog.

I was browsing the MMM forums and saw this post and let out such a sudden laugh that I scared my husband!

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2765 on: June 17, 2016, 06:51:26 AM »
For me knowing exactly how much debt I have is more stress...how can I save even more to kill it faster.... holy crap, how many years still to FI?!

I suppose here is a good example of two very differing opinions, and neither is wrong.  For me, the stress comes from not having a plan, which is why I want the data.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2766 on: June 17, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but it just occurred to me that neither Mr. Mandalay nor I could ever drive for Uber because our cars are too old.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2767 on: June 18, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
I have a mustachian people solution: when you get hot glue in your hair, you're so used to giving yourself DIY haircuts that having to cut it out doesn't really bother you.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2768 on: June 18, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »
When you prefer either no A/C or set to 78, but everywhere you go it's set to 72 and you FREEZE.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #2769 on: June 18, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »
When you prefer either no A/C or set to 78, but everywhere you go it's set to 72 and you FREEZE.

Yes, having to dress for the winter in the summer - I hate it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2770 on: June 18, 2016, 01:06:38 PM »

Yep, we olso set our thermostat a 78*F, often when I get home from work I drop it to 77*
and let the air run long enough to drop the humidity, I also change into my shorts and T shirt.
  If I forget to turn it back up, as soon as I get in bed I realize it to cold in here.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2771 on: June 18, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »

My boss has been cranking it down to 68.  I am almost acclimated to 90+ already and I haven't been running my AC. I have to wear a sweat shirt when he does that.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2772 on: June 19, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »

This is gorgeous.

I read it and let out a little sigh of envy at the sunlight and dog. :)

Grif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2773 on: June 19, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
We get so few product advertisements that when we were trying to help our five year old set goals for money savings, she couldn't think of any toys to buy. "Could I buy a watermelon?"
I didn't know if I should just let her get one to give her a goal, or just plant them with her in the spring.
"You know, dad and I are happy to buy food for you." Ha!

oh my gosh that is cute

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2774 on: June 20, 2016, 09:18:58 AM »
We get so few product advertisements that when we were trying to help our five year old set goals for money savings, she couldn't think of any toys to buy. "Could I buy a watermelon?"
I didn't know if I should just let her get one to give her a goal, or just plant them with her in the spring.
"You know, dad and I are happy to buy food for you." Ha!

oh my gosh that is cute

Okay, that is officially adorable. I love your kid. =D

Disposaleer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2775 on: June 20, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »

My boss has been cranking it down to 68.  I am almost acclimated to 90+ already and I haven't been running my AC. I have to wear a sweat shirt when he does that.

I'm wearing a sweater eating my brought-in lunch in my freezing office alone while everyone is out to lunch. I want so badly to turn the temperature up, but the thermostat is in one of those locked acrylic boxes. I've resorted to putting a space heater next to my desk. I feel so wasteful heating a cooled space, but come on...it's so cold I can't type sometimes. Whenever someone complains that my area is too hot I just tell them to take off their jacket. Duh? I've complained multiple times, but apparently I'm the only one that thinks it's cold in here.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2776 on: June 20, 2016, 10:26:14 AM »
I really do find it hilarious that people will brag about being acclimated to 90 degrees or whatever and then complain endlessly about how 68 degrees is "freezing" and you can't possibly do work in those kind of extreme conditions.

Maybe you all should acclimate yourself to those ice cold normal room temperatures like you expect others to do for heat?

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #2777 on: June 20, 2016, 10:36:18 AM »
I really do find it hilarious that people will brag about being acclimated to 90 degrees or whatever and then complain endlessly about how 68 degrees is "freezing" and you can't possibly do work in those kind of extreme conditions.

Maybe you all should acclimate yourself to those ice cold normal room temperatures like you expect others to do for heat?

The thing is you can't acclimate to both ends of the spectrum. As a Canadian I can tell you that when spring comes I can easily go out wearing only a t-shirt in weather that would have me wear a jacket in autumn.

I used to be able to sleep very well without any AC all summer long. Then I started working in an office and now I just can't. I have been forced to acclimate to colder weather all year round. Also makes it much harder to run or bike in summer when before I could do anything under midday sun no problem.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2778 on: June 20, 2016, 10:37:12 AM »

68*F is not normal room temperature during a heat wave in the summer.  He wouldn't have to crank it down if he dressed appropriately.  Maybe if he had gotten any exercise in the past 10 years, and wasn't wearing long sleeves he could be comfortable at a temperature above 68.

It's difficult to acclimate when I am going to walk out the door into 94*F heat and ride my bike home, and hang out at my house with no AC until tomorrow morning when I bike back.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2779 on: June 20, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »

Shouldn't we just acclimate to whatever temperature the outdoor climate actually is?

I'm not sure it's worth being derisive. I don't want to use a ton of AC in my home. In the summer I'll be acclimated to much warmer temps than I am in winter. If my workplace is much colder, that'll be uncomfortable. Why do you think it's bragging to do the eco friendly and financially badass thing?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2780 on: June 20, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »
The thing is you can't acclimate to both ends of the spectrum.

This is what I'm talking about, though. In what world is 68F the end of any temperature spectrum? 68-72 is pretty much widely accepted as "room temperature" that most humans are comfortable in. It's not "cold" or "freezing" in any way.

Are all of the people complaining about 68F summer offices totally fine with chilly offices in the winter? Are your fingers able to comfortably type at 64F in January? In my experience certain people are just cold all the time and always want it to be warmer than I like it. It's not badass, it's just having a different body type. Which is why I think the bragging is silly if you can only take temperatures going one way. I don't brag about how I can tolerate really cold temps in winter, because I'm heat intolerant and I know that's just the way my body is and has been since childhood. It's not some kind of proud personal accomplishment.

Of course it would be much better if we could all use less energy for climate control, but as long as we're all stuck working in offices without control over the thermostat it's probably best to just figure out a way to deal with it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2781 on: June 20, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »

This is what I'm talking about, though. In what world is 68F the end of any temperature spectrum? 68-72 is pretty much widely accepted as "room temperature" that most humans are comfortable in. It's not "cold" or "freezing" in any way.

Are all of the people complaining about 68F summer offices totally fine with chilly offices in the winter? Are your fingers able to comfortably type at 64F in January? In my experience certain people are just cold all the time and always want it to be warmer than I like it. It's not badass, it's just having a different body type. Which is why I think the bragging is silly if you can only take temperatures going one way. I don't brag about how I can tolerate really cold temps in winter, because I'm heat intolerant and I know that's just the way my body is and has been since childhood. It's not some kind of proud personal accomplishment.

Of course it would be much better if we could all use less energy for climate control, but as long as we're all stuck working in offices without control over the thermostat it's probably best to just figure out a way to deal with it.

Yes, keep the office closer to the natural climate outside just like I do with my house.  The winter is colder, and the summer is warmer.  My office often gets set at 73 or 74 in the winter.  That's backwards! They are chilling it far too much in the summer, and heating it up far too much in the winter.  Wasting tons of money at the office, and wasting everyone's money at home too as they follow the same patterns.  It only exacerbates the problem, I can never acclimate because it's such an extreme change from the natural climate.  68* is a fine room temperature, but not when it's 90-100*F outside and I spend 2/3+ of my time outside (or at outside temps).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2782 on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
My office often gets set at 73 or 74 in the winter.  That's backwards! They are chilling it far too much in the summer, and heating it up far too much in the winter.

Yeah, I had to completely turn off the heater in my office because it would get up to 80+ degrees in the winter. On or off are my only choices, so it often ends up being very cold. But I prefer 62 to 82 in winter, so it's off. I have no control over my heat at home which often really sucks (this winter ranged from 55F-82F indoors). But, like I said, when you don't have much control over something, I think the MMM response is to suck it up and deal with it and not bitch and moan about how much you wish the room you're in would be a slightly different temperature. :-)

Or have we turned the forum into a facepunch-free zone at last? ;-)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2783 on: June 20, 2016, 11:24:18 AM »
My office often gets set at 73 or 74 in the winter.  That's backwards! They are chilling it far too much in the summer, and heating it up far too much in the winter.

Yeah, I had to completely turn off the heater in my office because it would get up to 80+ degrees in the winter. On or off are my only choices, so it often ends up being very cold. But I prefer 62 to 82 in winter, so it's off. I have no control over my heat at home which often really sucks (this winter ranged from 55F-82F indoors). But, like I said, when you don't have much control over something, I think the MMM response is to suck it up and deal with it and not bitch and moan about how much you wish the room you're in would be a slightly different temperature. :-)

Or have we turned the forum into a facepunch-free zone at last? ;-)

Thread title: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2784 on: June 20, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
Fine, fine. I'll eagerly await all of you coming back in the winter to complain about the intolerable 71 degree heat with a smile, then. ;-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2785 on: June 20, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »

Are all of the people complaining about 68F summer offices totally fine with chilly offices in the winter? Are your fingers able to comfortably type at 64F in January?
Just FYI
68F is 20C
For sitting work 22C is required in Germany. Because of - can you guess it? - a normal person sitting is freezing at 20C.

And yes, people CAN be acclimated to 20C - in the winter. But not in the f*** (hot) summer! There you are comfortable at around 25. Even 22 then feels cool and makes you wear long sleeved things.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2786 on: June 20, 2016, 02:40:58 PM »

I also suffer through this. Apparently in the minority here, but I'm very cold tolerant but can't handle heat. The wife has ixnayed the idea of moving any further north so I'm stuck.

The thing is, cold people can always put on more clothes. I can't take anymore off without causing distress :) 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2787 on: June 20, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
The thing is, cold people can always put on more clothes. I can't take anymore off without causing distress :)

Yup. I'm not great at either end of the spectrum (21C-22C is my ideal zone...) but there comes a point with heat when you just can't do anything else while still getting on with stuff. It's OK if I have nothing to do but lie around drinking iced lemonade and spritzing my face with water while making sure the electric fan is angled just right, but to actually do a JOB when it's 26C??? Ugh, no. Whereas if it's 17C, I can put on all my clothes (hat and fingerless gloves included!), have a big mug of tea and stuff a hot water bottle under my jumper or sit one at my feet. It's much easier to warm up than to cool down in a sitting-down-work-type situation.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2788 on: June 20, 2016, 04:37:49 PM »
I'm so tired of the "you can always put on a sweater" line of reasoning.  I'm currently wearing two sweaters, huddling under a thick quilt, and still feeling painfully cold, with hands that are too numb to type well.  But we can't even compromise on a tolerable temperature -- one that would be a lot less wasteful and inefficient -- because some obese guy down the hall will complain if the temperature gets anywhere near 70, and I can supposedly always put on yet another sweater if I'm feeling cold.

At some point you can't just put on more clothes.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2789 on: June 20, 2016, 04:40:48 PM »
I'm so tired of the "you can always put on a sweater" line of reasoning.  I'm currently wearing two sweaters, huddling under a thick quilt, and still feeling painfully cold, with hands that are too numb to type well.  But we can't even compromise on a tolerable temperature -- one that would be a lot less wasteful and inefficient -- because some obese guy down the hall will complain if the temperature gets anywhere near 70, and I can supposedly always put on yet another sweater if I'm feeling cold.

At some point you can't just put on more clothes.

No, but localised heat-generating items exist in the way that localised cold-generating items do not. Hot water bottle? Those snappable hand warmers? I have icy feet that seriously do not generate any of their own warmth, so putting on another pair of socks does sod all, but I can always ADD heat to them with a hot water bottle.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2790 on: June 20, 2016, 07:10:22 PM »
hands that are too numb to type well. 

Has anyone here used a heated keyboard? I remember reading an article (linked from here, probably) about someone who was using a heated keyboard and mouse and a dog bed heater under their desk for their feet, and they were cozy at some ridiculously low temperature.

(Yes, I acknowledge the ridiculousness of all these plans to heat ourselves in a space someone else has cooled in a hot climate...)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2791 on: June 21, 2016, 03:01:43 AM »

Has anyone here used a heated keyboard? I remember reading an article (linked from here, probably) about someone who was using a heated keyboard and mouse and a dog bed heater under their desk for their feet, and they were cozy at some ridiculously low temperature.

(Yes, I acknowledge the ridiculousness of all these plans to heat ourselves in a space someone else has cooled in a hot climate...)

(Yes, you should definitely err on the hot side if you are cooling because it is hot outside. But if you are heating because is cold outside, then you should err on the cool side for the room generally - which may be too cold for an individual.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2792 on: June 21, 2016, 04:31:14 AM »
I think I'm mentioned this before as a MPP that -almost- happened, but this month it did.

I run payroll for our whole company. My entire paycheck goes straight into savings, and we live off my husband's salary. You can see where this is going.

I forgot to run payroll.

Thankfully I realised on the day payments were due into people's accounts, and by a wing, a prayer, and faster bank payments, I don't think anyone noticed, phew.

Must set a reminder. Can't have the boss knowing I don't really need my salary! (he's one of those who, annoyingly, takes people's personal circumstances into consideration when debating raises. "Oh, John, he's got a huge mortgage! Give him 4%" Must maintain the illusion of being stretched but hard-working and grateful).

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2793 on: June 21, 2016, 06:49:16 AM »
I think I'm mentioned this before as a MPP that -almost- happened, but this month it did.

I run payroll for our whole company. My entire paycheck goes straight into savings, and we live off my husband's salary. You can see where this is going.

I forgot to run payroll.

Thankfully I realised on the day payments were due into people's accounts, and by a wing, a prayer, and faster bank payments, I don't think anyone noticed, phew.

Must set a reminder. Can't have the boss knowing I don't really need my salary! (he's one of those who, annoyingly, takes people's personal circumstances into consideration when debating raises. "Oh, John, he's got a huge mortgage! Give him 4%" Must maintain the illusion of being stretched but hard-working and grateful).

What happens when you go on holidays? Who runs payroll then?

Bit of a segregation of duties risk if you're the only one with the keys to the honeypot. I'm sure you are trustworthy but still...

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2794 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »

This reminds me of the story of the Complicator's Gloves...

http://thedailywtf.com/articles/The_Complicator_0x27_s_Gloves

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2795 on: June 21, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »

I forgot to run payroll.

What happens when you go on holidays? Who runs payroll then?

Bit of a segregation of duties risk if you're the only one with the keys to the honeypot. I'm sure you are trustworthy but still...

For 12 years I have never gone on holiday over a payday! (UK, so only 12 per year)

It's even harder when you take into account my husband's role involves month-end procedures, so I've also never been away over a month end! (Don't worry, we get plenty of extravagant holidays. We just have to time them.)

You are completely right about me being the only one with the keys to the honeypot. I vacillitate between thinking my boss is an absolute idiot and deciding he is an excellent judge of character - I could have taken him for £££££££s over the years.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2796 on: June 21, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »
Supposedly in banking/finance they force people to take holidays because it is a good way to detect fraud.
If that accountant never risks being out of the office for a week you get suspicious.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2797 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
Supposedly in banking/finance they force people to take holidays because it is a good way to detect fraud.
If that accountant never risks being out of the office for a week you get suspicious.

This is true in certain circumstances, generally large financial services companies, at least in the US. But the required "long" holidays are two weeks, because fraud is likely to come to light in that time.

It would be possible for theadvicist to have taken two week holidays at the beginning of the month, which gives others the chance to examine the books, but still have "all hands on deck" at busy times.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2798 on: June 21, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »

This is true in certain circumstances, generally large financial services companies, at least in the US. But the required "long" holidays are two weeks, because fraud is likely to come to light in that time.

It would be possible for theadvicist to have taken two week holidays at the beginning of the month, which gives others the chance to examine the books, but still have "all hands on deck" at busy times.
Yep, MTA (Mandatory Time Away) in banks is no joke. They disable all network access automatically, so no access to email, can't enter the buildings, etc.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2799 on: June 21, 2016, 11:12:09 AM »

Shouldn't we just acclimate to whatever temperature the outdoor climate actually is?

I'm not sure it's worth being derisive. I don't want to use a ton of AC in my home. In the summer I'll be acclimated to much warmer temps than I am in winter. If my workplace is much colder, that'll be uncomfortable. Why do you think it's bragging to do the eco friendly and financially badass thing?

Try completely turning off your heat in the winter.  It gets very hot and humid in the summer in the South.  A lot of you don't have much experience with both heat and humidity together for months on end.  Even my Great Grandmother, who had more than her fair share of un-airconditioned summers, said you never got used to it.  Yes, people should turn up the thermostat and acclimatize to 80F, I completely totally agree with that.  Yes, it's completely possible to do without it.  But it's also completely possible to do without heat in the winter.  Don't point fingers at southerners for enjoying a little AC in the summer if you turn on the heat in the winter.