Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1066953 times)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3500 on: January 18, 2017, 01:17:08 AM »
My dogs stop getting walks when it is 0F windchill (usually 15F). But I didn't get DH to drive me to work until the windchill reached -30F. It was only a mile, and I wore ski pants.

I have observed a dog owner driving his car slowly with the dog walking beside the car. This was in the summer in pleasant weather.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3501 on: January 18, 2017, 05:51:43 AM »
My dogs stop getting walks when it is 0F windchill (usually 15F). But I didn't get DH to drive me to work until the windchill reached -30F. It was only a mile, and I wore ski pants.

I have observed a dog owner driving his car slowly with the dog walking beside the car. This was in the summer in pleasant weather.
WTF! I biked my dog a few days ago with snow and ice on the ground. Grumble grumble...

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3502 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:07 AM »
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume (hope?) they were recovering from knee surgery or coping with some other medical problem.

Reynold

• Stubble
« Reply #3503 on: January 18, 2017, 10:10:42 AM »

A client wrote me a bad check.  Pretty soon, covered it.  A month or two later, I bounced some checks, each costing me $33.  I couldn't believe it; it didn't compute; my records and my account always matched before.  When I went to the credit union, they told me, "Oh, ha, ha.  After that check bounced, we put a 10-day hold on all incoming checks." 

"You never told me you were doing that." 

"We didn't did we?  Oh well, you know it now."

Our experience with credit unions was generally that they were very nice, but not super competent.  When we were using one as our primary bank at one point, we got a notice of insufficient funds at one point for a couple of checks.  They had an "auto transfer" thing from savings, so the checks didn't bounce, but I went in to find out what happened.  They had changed their accounting system so that my auto-deposit paycheck went into savings instead of checking.  This was long before MMM existed, but even then we kept our checking balance pretty low, since we could earn interest in savings. 

They very apologetically refunded the fees, and I was getting ready to go, when I asked what would make sure this wouldn't happen next month.  They checked, and they hadn't actually fixed the problem, the same thing would have happened next month.  Then they fixed the problem and I left.  Nice, but it would have been reassuring if they had thought to fix the actual problem themselves.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #3504 on: January 18, 2017, 10:14:45 AM »
My record is a mile and a half to work in -35F wind chill.  Felt pretty badass after that!

I love walking in extreme cold! If you're dressed right, it's nothing, and it does make you feel like a badass. Until I had kids I used to walk about 3km to work every day, rain or shine, 40C or -40C. Miss it a lot, but since my parking is much cheaper than my wife's would be, I have to drive these days.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3505 on: January 19, 2017, 12:15:13 AM »
My record is a mile and a half to work in -35F wind chill.  Felt pretty badass after that!
I love walking in extreme cold! If you're dressed right, it's nothing, and it does make you feel like a badass. Until I had kids I used to walk about 3km to work every day, rain or shine, 40C or -40C. Miss it a lot, but since my parking is much cheaper than my wife's would be, I have to drive these days.

I don't quite follow. Does one of you need to drive the kids? Is it too far for them to walk?

I also love the cold as long as my feet stay dry. One wet foot and I get grumpy and decidedly less badass.

blahblahblah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3506 on: January 19, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »
I held on to some holiday cash for a treat-yo-self retail purchase, only to realize it would bring me more joy to invest the money.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3507 on: January 19, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
We had to bring a dog urine sample to the vet last night to confirm an infection in one of our dogs.  I had it in a plastic quart-sized container (one we use routinely to store leftovers).

The vet tech took it from me, and asked "Do you want the container back?"

I hesitated, and my girlfriend's eyes said "DON'T."

I said no.

I'll miss that container.  We have about 20 others just like it, and they are not expensive, but now we have one less.  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3508 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
We had to bring a dog urine sample to the vet last night to confirm an infection in one of our dogs.  I had it in a plastic quart-sized container (one we use routinely to store leftovers).

I said no.

I'll miss that container.  We have about 20 others just like it, and they are not expensive, but now we have one less.  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

Save some of the plastic containers that butter, etc come in. Then you can lose a few with no guilt.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3509 on: January 19, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »

I said no.

Save some of the plastic containers that butter, etc come in. Then you can lose a few with no guilt.

We save cool whip and sour cream containers for that.  Or when we want to send someone home with left overs.  Or any other scenario where I need a disposable container.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3510 on: January 19, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
Credit Karma Tax is live and I'm rarin' to try it out (free tax filing, Federal and State (I have no State anyway, but still)) - but I checked on Vanguard to see when tax forms would come out and it says:

"Brokerage account forms and statements are available by late February (to help reduce the number of revised statements that may result from income reclassifications by securities issuers)."

:/

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3511 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
Assuming I have reasonable gear to wear I love walking in the rain. I used to have a job that would keep me outside in just about any weather and I enjoyed the wet days as long as I could get inside a bit each and warm up or dry out.

I think I'd love England or the PNW if I had a dry shop big enough to work in.

aGracefulStomp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3512 on: January 19, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »

I said no.

Hahahahaha I laughed out loud at this. This is me.

oldladystache

• Bristles
« Reply #3513 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
I got an approved credit card offer in the mail. 5% back on two categories I select (with an asterisk that may limit my choices) 0% interest for 15 cycles, and $100 cashback after I spend $500 in the first 90 days.

Trying to figure out if I can manage to spend that much in 3 months. $166 a month. I suppose I will be able to.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3514 on: January 19, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
I got an approved credit card offer in the mail. 5% back on two categories I select (with an asterisk that may limit my choices) 0% interest for 15 cycles, and $100 cashback after I spend $500 in the first 90 days.

Trying to figure out if I can manage to spend that much in 3 months. $166 a month. I suppose I will be able to.

I suggest going to the BoA website and seeing what you are preapproved for. I have an offer sitting there to get $200 on a $500 spend. Barclay often has something similar. 3 month spend period.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3515 on: January 19, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »

I said no.

We save cool whip and sour cream containers for that.  Or when we want to send someone home with left overs.  Or any other scenario where I need a disposable container.
I do have a couple plastic yogurt or sour cream containers, but I've noticed the lids tend to be prone to leaking, and I'll risk that with a lot of things, but not dog urine in a rental car.

The container (cheap deli/takeout-style, not tupperware-style or anything nice) was probably less than 50 cents in a multi-pack a few years ago, and had already been used at least ten times for various things.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3516 on: January 19, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

I said no.

I do have a couple plastic yogurt or sour cream containers, but I've noticed the lids tend to be prone to leaking, and I'll risk that with a lot of things, but not dog urine in a rental car.

The container (cheap deli/takeout-style, not tupperware-style or anything nice) was probably less than 50 cents in a multi-pack a few years ago, and had already been used at least ten times for various things.

I don't trust any tupper wear to not leak. It always gets bagged in a plastic grocery bag before going to my back pack.

I would be even more risk averse with dog urine though.  That probably deserves the apple pie treatment, ie wife holds it on her lap until we get there. 

TrMama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3517 on: January 19, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »

I said no.

I don't trust any tupper wear to not leak. It always gets bagged in a plastic grocery bag before going to my back pack.

I would be even more risk averse with dog urine though.  That probably deserves the apple pie treatment, ie wife holds it on her lap until we get there.

Pshaw. You're a bunch of amateurs. I've taken kid urine to the lab in my backpack on my bike before. Works great on cold days when the sample is supposed to be refrigerated anyway. Plus, I didn't have to pay for parking.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3518 on: January 19, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
My husband's motorbike is insured with a company that is merging with the company that holds our car insurance policy, which means multi-policy discount!

But the bike is for sale so we're not renewing the insurance.

I know it's better to save 100 per cent of the policy than 10 per cent, but I still feel strangely disappointed.

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3519 on: January 19, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Pshaw. You're a bunch of amateurs. I've taken kid urine to the lab in my backpack on my bike before. Works great on cold days when the sample is supposed to be refrigerated anyway. Plus, I didn't have to pay for parking.

But do you get your container back?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3520 on: January 19, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

As long as it's dishwasher safe, I wouldn't give half a shit that it once held dog urine.  If you own a dog, you probably have a decent amount of dog urine around your house (or you will once your dog gets older)

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3521 on: January 19, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »
The work minivan with only 152k miles has to be retired. It's so old they no longer make replacement parts for it. I'm on week 2 of waffling over my available choices in the under $10k category. Toyota's holding their value is awesome until you're on the buying side.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3522 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
On the first read, I thought: "What kind of place gives you free parking if you bring a container of urine?!"

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #3523 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »

I said no.

This is my husband. I did NOT laugh at this.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #3524 on: January 19, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
Today my MPP turned into a benefit!

We have a house that is ridiculously large for our family of three, but we own it outright and it would be too expensive to move (also my DH is a slight hoarder so there's that). Except for the only bathroom, which is the only reason that I've considered moving - it is ridiculously small!

Today I was browsing the interwebs and saw someone complaining that they hate the 30 seconds after a shower because they get so chilly... and the light bulb went on - I am never cold coming out of the shower because my teeny bathroom steams up so quickly!!
Now my "teeny bathroom" is my "luxury steam room" after a shower!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3525 on: January 20, 2017, 01:31:48 AM »

As long as it's dishwasher safe, I wouldn't give half a shit that it once held dog urine.  If you own a dog, you probably have a decent amount of dog urine around your house (or you will once your dog gets older)

True, but I do try to avoid storing food for extended periods of time on the sections of floor that have been used regularly for a toilet. I'm pretty prissy.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #3526 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »
My car is too old to be used for Uber driving.

I waste time looking for things in the fridge because everything is stored in identical 'Ukrainian Tupperware' aka yogurt containers.

I have a drawer full of unused gift cards because I don't want anything from those stores. (Will be looking into the resell sites).

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3527 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »

I'm not going to store my left overs on/eat off the once urine soaked carpet.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3528 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
I invested a hair under 50% of my gross income last year. I feel like I'm slacking.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3529 on: January 20, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »

I said no.

I am still wondering about the collection process.  Ewwww

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3530 on: January 20, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »

I said no.

'mid stream catch'. Wait til they squat, then scoot the container under. =P You *did* say you were curious. You're welcome.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3531 on: January 20, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »

True, but I do try to avoid storing food for extended periods of time on the sections of floor that have been used regularly for a toilet. I'm pretty prissy.
Ya, that's even pushing the 5 second rule.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3532 on: January 20, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
 I'l bet the veterinarian's wife has a nice collection of tupperware :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3533 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »

I said no.

'mid stream catch'. Wait til they squat, then scoot the container under. =P You *did* say you were curious. You're welcome.
Yup, that's exactly what I did.  Far from the most disgusting thing I've done as a loving pet owner.  Owning pets is a great way to be less sensitive to grossness.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3534 on: January 20, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
Owning pets is a great way to be less sensitive to grossness.

So is having kids!

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #3535 on: January 20, 2017, 10:46:43 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3536 on: January 21, 2017, 02:46:04 AM »
Man ,you guys are uptight.  This is me eating lunch today.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3537 on: January 21, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
In my house it is clear that any food that is on the floor is the dog's, I have lost all claims.  Actually, that is part of her job description, if food is on the floor she eats it, and that makes the residue much easier for me to clean up.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3538 on: January 22, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »

You couldn't have balanced the burger on the cup of fries? Hahaha
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3539 on: January 22, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »

You couldn't have balanced the burger on the cup of fries? Hahaha

And get bun particles on my fries?  Ew.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3540 on: January 22, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Last week, the water heater died. Contacted landlord, etc, got a plumber out here on Saturday evening to put a new one in. Since the landlord is out of state, I made arrangements with her that I would pay for everything and deduct it from the next rent payment. Everything proceeded as planned, all good.

Cue today when I'm doing paying my bills, etc, and I realize that I now have a cc balance about 4 times higher than I'd planned for. Shifted some stuff around to make a big payment on the cc, but I still have a $1k balance to pay and have taken the checking account as low as I'm comfortable. I'm unwilling to pull that $ from savings or other accounts, and luckily that cc has a 0% interest rate on it. So I'll just let it ride until next month. But darn, I REALLY hate seeing that balance on the cc.

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #3541 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
Last week, the water heater died. Contacted landlord, etc, got a plumber out here on Saturday evening to put a new one in. Since the landlord is out of state, I made arrangements with her that I would pay for everything and deduct it from the next rent payment. Everything proceeded as planned, all good.

Cue today when I'm doing paying my bills, etc, and I realize that I now have a cc balance about 4 times higher than I'd planned for. Shifted some stuff around to make a big payment on the cc, but I still have a $1k balance to pay and have taken the checking account as low as I'm comfortable. I'm unwilling to pull that $ from savings or other accounts, and luckily that cc has a 0% interest rate on it. So I'll just let it ride until next month. But darn, I REALLY hate seeing that balance on the cc.

Are you sure it's a 0% interest rate on all new purchases?  Or just on balance transfers?  Just asking because long ago I got burned.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3542 on: January 23, 2017, 11:28:48 PM »

I can only imagine that water bottle was filled from a convenient, nearby receptacle. :)
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3543 on: January 24, 2017, 07:02:17 AM »

Are you sure it's a 0% interest rate on all new purchases?  Or just on balance transfers?  Just asking because long ago I got burned.

Yep, I confirmed 0% on new purchases. Also got burned once, so you're not alone. :)

TrMama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3544 on: January 24, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
Got the official notice from the mortgage company and land title office yesterday that our mortgage is officially discharged. Yay!

Immediately called the property insurance company to ask for the "no mortgage" discount. It will apply, but they won't drop our premiums until the policy renews, in August. Drat, 8 more months of paying inflated premiums.

I'm seriously annoyed that whenever we owe them money, we're expected to pay right away, but when they owe us money it has to wait 8 months.

I'm also annoyed that I can't complain about being overcharged to anyone in real life. The fact we've paid off the mortgage isn't something I like to advertise.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3545 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
Got the official notice from the mortgage company and land title office yesterday that our mortgage is officially discharged. Yay!

Immediately called the property insurance company to ask for the "no mortgage" discount. It will apply, but they won't drop our premiums until the policy renews, in August. Drat, 8 more months of paying inflated premiums.

I'm seriously annoyed that whenever we owe them money, we're expected to pay right away, but when they owe us money it has to wait 8 months.

I'm also annoyed that I can't complain about being overcharged to anyone in real life. The fact we've paid off the mortgage isn't something I like to advertise.

That sounds like a great reason to shop around insurance. Seriously, do it. I've had no problems getting existing policies modified mid-policy when something changed. Find a good deal, then call them back and ask them again, because now you've got leverage.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3546 on: January 24, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »

That sounds like a great reason to shop around insurance. Seriously, do it. I've had no problems getting existing policies modified mid-policy when something changed. Find a good deal, then call them back and ask them again, because now you've got leverage.

Yes, this. Except if they're not giving you the discount now, it's probably because there's some technical reason they can't change your premium, rather than an unwillingness to. So I would go into the transaction prepared to switch if they still can't make the change.

Or, call your state attorney general's office and report them. You qualify for a lower rate and aren't getting it. AGs just LOVE protecting the little guy from those big bad insurance companies.*

*I work for a property & casualty insurance company. AGs can be overzealous in their protective instincts, but most of the time their hearts are in the right place.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3547 on: January 25, 2017, 05:29:06 AM »

If you still have your ridiculously long insurance agreement somewhere, give it a read. It's possible your insurance premium is actually due once a year at the beginning of the term, and that your monthly payments are a "convenience" the company charges you extra for. That's how mine works.

In that case, I think you're technically paying insurance for the whole year based on the conditions in place on the first day of the yearly term, so you might not be able to make changes mid-term (or even get out of paying for the rest of the year if you want to switch companies).

Still worth looking around, though. Even if your current company can't give you the mortgage discount, they might suddenly find another discount you qualify for if they're afraid that you're going to leave.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3548 on: January 25, 2017, 06:59:43 AM »

If you still have your ridiculously long insurance agreement somewhere, give it a read. It's possible your insurance premium is actually due once a year at the beginning of the term, and that your monthly payments are a "convenience" the company charges you extra for. That's how mine works.

In that case, I think you're technically paying insurance for the whole year based on the conditions in place on the first day of the yearly term, so you might not be able to make changes mid-term (or even get out of paying for the rest of the year if you want to switch companies).

Still worth looking around, though. Even if your current company can't give you the mortgage discount, they might suddenly find another discount you qualify for if they're afraid that you're going to leave.

Definitely read your policy, as Gerard suggests, but in the US at least, premiums are subject to change in the middle of the policy period based on changes to the risk insured. If you added onto your house, the insurance company wouldn't wait until the end of the policy to start collecting on that. And the insurance companies can't have their cake and eat it too (charging extra in the middle of the year if the risk goes up but not providing a refund if the risk goes down), at least not without prompting their customers to go to competitors or inviting regulatory issues.

TrMama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3549 on: January 25, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »

Definitely read your policy, as Gerard suggests, but in the US at least, premiums are subject to change in the middle of the policy period based on changes to the risk insured. If you added onto your house, the insurance company wouldn't wait until the end of the policy to start collecting on that. And the insurance companies can't have their cake and eat it too (charging extra in the middle of the year if the risk goes up but not providing a refund if the risk goes down), at least not without prompting their customers to go to competitors or inviting regulatory issues.

This is exactly my beef with them. If I'd added a pool or a fireplace or some other thing that increased the risk of my making a claim I'd be expected to pay the increased premium immediately. However, when the shoe is on the other foot they can just keep my money? That really isn't playing fair.

The points about shopping around are well taken. The thing that's always stopped us from switching in the past is that we live in an earthquake prone area and the earthquake rider on this policy has a reasonable level of coverage. Since we got this policy the standard for earthquake coverage from all insurers seems to have undergone a major downturn. If I switched, the earthquake coverage offered by any other policy I've been able to find is basically useless and we're not comfortable giving that up.