Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086930 times)

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2050 on: October 14, 2015, 06:58:24 PM »
My husband's cousin (whom I adore) has spent the better part of the past year putting her design degree to use and launching an online home goods store - gorgeous throws, pillows, phone cases, etc. Official launch is today, and everything is (as I feared) waayyy outside my comfortable price range for pretty things I don't need anyway. So I want to support her efforts, but I also just can't bring myself to pay $40 for a tea towel... (but seriously, the things are so pretty)

I know people who would spend 40$ on a teatowel... give us the link, we'll spread it, so you can support her without wasting money!

Yeah, I would gladly Pin some fancy towels and such in the hopes one of my spendy-pants friends helps support her =)

Thanks, guys! The stuff really is beautiful, and I'm sure it's high quality (it better be, at these prices...). http://savannahhayes.com/

Okay, not going to lie, the Carrara marble coasters are beautiful... but probably would look odd on my mismatch of goodwill, ikea, and inherited furniture! Plus they're $88. For that price, I'll just buy a glass top for my coffee table!

So maybe that's a mustachian problem. I can't buy fancy coasters, because of my un-fancy furniture.
I know the struggle - my husband accidentally broke one of our beautiful cocktail glasses last night, and was so apologetic, not because they were expensive, but because I had been on the hunt for cheap small cocktail glasses for years until I found these (for a dollar each, at a flea market). Sometimes we're not even protected by our cheap goods!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2051 on: October 14, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
My husband's cousin (whom I adore) has spent the better part of the past year putting her design degree to use and launching an online home goods store - gorgeous throws, pillows, phone cases, etc. Official launch is today, and everything is (as I feared) waayyy outside my comfortable price range for pretty things I don't need anyway. So I want to support her efforts, but I also just can't bring myself to pay $40 for a tea towel... (but seriously, the things are so pretty)

I know people who would spend 40$ on a teatowel... give us the link, we'll spread it, so you can support her without wasting money!

Yeah, I would gladly Pin some fancy towels and such in the hopes one of my spendy-pants friends helps support her =)

Thanks, guys! The stuff really is beautiful, and I'm sure it's high quality (it better be, at these prices...). http://savannahhayes.com/

Okay, not going to lie, the Carrara marble coasters are beautiful... but probably would look odd on my mismatch of goodwill, ikea, and inherited furniture! Plus they're $88. For that price, I'll just buy a glass top for my coffee table!

So maybe that's a mustachian problem. I can't buy fancy coasters, because of my un-fancy furniture.

Diy- Carrara marble isn't really as expensive as it sounds

http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/cavema12sutipol.html

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2052 on: October 14, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »

Diy- Carrara marble isn't really as expensive as it sounds

http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/cavema12sutipol.html

Don't you need a wet saw to cut marble? (Whatever those things are called)

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #2053 on: October 14, 2015, 11:30:26 PM »
Trash day was today. I rolled our trash bin out to the curb. It's the smallest bin the trash company carries (35 gallon); we fill it less than 1/3 full for 51 of the 52 yearly pickups. The other one week a year it's full (the pickup after Christmas).

We simply don't generate much trash. This is probably because we recycle and compost. Since we cook from scratch and don't buy a lot of stuff, we have very little packaging.

It drives me nuts to pay the same price for trash pickup as people who generate 3x more trash than we do....

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2054 on: October 14, 2015, 11:41:21 PM »
Trash day was today. I rolled our trash bin out to the curb. It's the smallest bin the trash company carries (35 gallon); we fill it less than 1/3 full for 51 of the 52 yearly pickups. The other one week a year it's full (the pickup after Christmas).

We simply don't generate much trash. This is probably because we recycle and compost. Since we cook from scratch and don't buy a lot of stuff, we have very little packaging.

It drives me nuts to pay the same price for trash pickup as people who generate 3x more trash than we do....

We have a similar "problem".  We put our trash can out half full even with three kids, one still in diapers.  We recycle everything we can, and there just isn't much garbage afterward.  Meanwhile, our renter (1 mom + 1 child) generates an overflowing can of the same size.  How?

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #2055 on: October 15, 2015, 12:22:06 AM »

We have a similar "problem".  We put our trash can out half full even with three kids, one still in diapers.  We recycle everything we can, and there just isn't much garbage afterward.  Meanwhile, our renter (1 mom + 1 child) generates an overflowing can of the same size.  How?

I cannot figure out how our neighbors do it, either. Everyone on our block but us has the biggest possible can (96 gallons -- 3x the size of ours) and fills it -- even the semi-retired couple next door. WTF? How is it possible that our family of 4, (plus four animals with litter/food bags) generates 1/9th the trash of our neighbors?

Recycling is free in our area, and it's all commingled, (everything goes in the same bin, so no sorting required by the customer), and we get free curbside recycling and green waste pick-up, so it's not like it's difficult to do.

I am completely baffled.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2056 on: October 15, 2015, 02:49:27 AM »
I know the struggle - my husband accidentally broke one of our beautiful cocktail glasses last night, and was so apologetic, not because they were expensive, but because I had been on the hunt for cheap small cocktail glasses for years until I found these (for a dollar each, at a flea market). Sometimes we're not even protected by our cheap goods!
Just change to Yato - he only takes 5 Yen for every and any job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noragami

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2057 on: October 15, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »
Our trash company lets you buy a sticker for your can, or tag each bag individually. We also found out that you can put two tags on the can, and then as many bags as fit into it will be picked up.  52 weeks of 2 tags = the price of the can sticker.

So we've switched to tagging our can, and unless it smells really bad, we only put the trash can out every 2-3 weeks.  (It also saves money on vacation weeks, since we aren't there to put out the trash!)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2058 on: October 15, 2015, 07:01:35 AM »
I have a serious health issue at the moment (should be fine once treatment is finished). Friends and acquaintances have all been practically begging to help me in some way. But there is nothing I need and my wants are few (and easily obtained by me). Our finances are in good shape. I have streamlined grocery shopping, we have meals and food in the freezer and a well stocked pantry. Bills are all autopaid or easy to pay online.

So I'm failing in letting my friends help me coz there is nothing I need help with.

Yard or housework? Laundry?

+1
Or if they want to spend money, ask for massages gift certificates!

DH has done most of the housework since we got married so it's actually all under control. He's also on top of the mowing (which I'm not allowed to do coz of allergies) and the little bit of gardening I have planned I can do & find therapeutic. Our place is small & our household routines are minimal.

Massages aren't my thing (I shudder just thinking about it). I've already been inundated with  embarrassing large amount of gifts from soooo many people, including vouchers I'm still struggling to spend (don't want/need more stuff - it just adds to clutter).

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2059 on: October 15, 2015, 07:08:23 AM »
I have a serious health issue at the moment (should be fine once treatment is finished). Friends and acquaintances have all been practically begging to help me in some way. But there is nothing I need and my wants are few (and easily obtained by me). Our finances are in good shape. I have streamlined grocery shopping, we have meals and food in the freezer and a well stocked pantry. Bills are all autopaid or easy to pay online.

So I'm failing in letting my friends help me coz there is nothing I need help with.

Yard or housework? Laundry?

This'll sound bad to some folks, I'm sure... but when I worked in a nursing home, we would give "helpful" residents piles of washcloths to fold. Then we would go out, toss them up in a basket, and bring a "new" stack to be folded. Maybe you could have decoy laundry (a load of towels that gets washed over and over) so your family feels helpful, but doesn't mess with any systems you have in place? (Or be better at embracing imperfection than I am, and actually let them help with the laundry....)

I assume they were dementia patients? Well, if it kept them busy. I'm not fussy about laundry (other than detergent cos of sensitive skin). This is friends & acquaintances begging to help (I'm estranged from family) so making up tasks feels wrong somehow. If I lived alone it would be different - help would be needed then.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #2060 on: October 15, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »
My energy company just launched a new service called Home Energy Squad. Basically you pay $75, they come and identify ways to make your house more energy efficient and implement some of the changes if you say ok. At first I was thinking, wow, that's WAY less expensive than an energy audit, lets do it! But then I saw what they will actually do:

What's included? What will they do?
The bottom line: the choice is yours. They'll take a look around your home, recommend changes and ask for your approval to make them--on the spot.

While you may not need or choose to do everything, the $75* cost includes:

Switching out traditional bulbs for CFLs
Replacing showerheads with energy-efficient ones
Adding aerators to your kitchen and bathroom faucets
Installing a programmable thermostat
Weather-stripping a drafty door

For some of my friends and neighbors, this is amazing. A programmable thermostat alone can be around $75 and they'll do that and give you the other stuff free.

Unfortunately, I've already done all of those things and have been saving all of that money already. I guess it's time to step it up to a real energy audit.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2061 on: October 15, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
Up here in Fort Collins, all of whet you listed, including the thermostat is available for free from the utility company.  You bet we took advantage of that!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2062 on: October 15, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »
Okay, not going to lie, the Carrara marble coasters are beautiful...
But then you would have to upgrade your beer - the expenses never end.

Would hav to upgrade the whole house really. Because you know, everything has to go together and look posh etc.
Hahaha. Nope;)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2063 on: October 15, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt."

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

Even better, I used to have an AAA membership that showed a "member since" date several years before I was born. Something like 20 years before I could legally drive.

How did this occur? Ha! :)

When I first started to drive (at 15.5) - my parents added me to their AAA membership. They had been members for about 20 years. The card I was issued was based on their start date. Eventually I split off into my own membership, but AAA kept the original "member since" date I had inherited. :D

O. That's hilarious!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2064 on: October 15, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »

We have a similar "problem".  We put our trash can out half full even with three kids, one still in diapers. 

You put three kids in the trash can every week? Have you thought about recycling them?

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2065 on: October 15, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »

We have a similar "problem".  We put our trash can out half full even with three kids, one still in diapers. 

You put three kids in the trash can every week? Have you thought about recycling them?

They might be considered hazardous waste.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2066 on: October 15, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »

They might be considered hazardous waste.

Children are ABSOLUTELY hazardous waste. Have you seen what they do to the environment?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2067 on: October 15, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
I got a really good deal on something my wife wanted, so I ordered it now and told her she could have her Christmas gift now or wait two months.  She opted to get her gift now and another one at Christmas :-(

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2068 on: October 15, 2015, 11:46:09 PM »

Well like I said, the little one is still in diapers and pretty small...

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #2069 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
I got a really good deal on something my wife wanted, so I ordered it now and told her she could have her Christmas gift now or wait two months.  She opted to get her gift now and another one at Christmas :-(

Dude, you gotta stick to you guns! You can't let people have their cake and eat it! It's not good for either of you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2070 on: October 16, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »

Dude, you gotta stick to you guns! You can't let people have their cake and eat it! It's not good for either of you.

Oh, she's getting socks.  I guarantee it.

Or maybe a little something that's really for me ;-)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2071 on: October 16, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »

I like the way you think!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2072 on: October 17, 2015, 03:42:52 AM »
When you can't find a used copy of the book you want and sixteen people have reserved it ahead of you at the library so you buy a new copy.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2073 on: October 17, 2015, 05:57:06 AM »
When you can't find a used copy of the book you want and sixteen people have reserved it ahead of you at the library so you buy a new copy.
Buy 2, donate one to the library

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2074 on: October 17, 2015, 06:33:29 AM »

A more Mustachian approach:  Buy one, read it, then donate it to the library.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2075 on: October 17, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »

So if you get her a gift that's really for you, that takes her off the hook to get you a gift, right?

I'm totally hoping for a pair of socks this year.  Which might be my own little mustachian problem.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2076 on: October 17, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »

So if you get her a gift that's really for you, that takes her off the hook to get you a gift, right?

I'm totally hoping for a pair of socks this year.  Which might be my own little mustachian problem.

He already got her a gift. Now she wants two, because she opted to receive the gift now rather than wait.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2077 on: October 17, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »

Don't do that. They'll just sell it at the book sale for a dollar or two.

At least in my library system, we order our books from vendors pre-processed (with the stickers already on, pre-cataloged, etc.). The staff time to process donations to add the collection is more than it would cost us to buy a whole new pre-processed copy. Unless you are donating something that is in high demand and super-rare (the thing that comes to mind is Aladdin on DVD... our copies all wore out, we can't buy new ones, and now we have 300-some holds on our last 2 copies), don't expect the library to keep it.

Get on the hold list and wait your damn turn :-). It'll come eventually!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2078 on: October 17, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »

At least in my library system, we order our books from vendors pre-processed (with the stickers already on, pre-cataloged, etc.). The staff time to process donations to add the collection is more than it would cost us to buy a whole new pre-processed copy. Unless you are donating something that is in high demand and super-rare (the thing that comes to mind is Aladdin on DVD... our copies all wore out, we can't buy new ones, and now we have 300-some holds on our last 2 copies), don't expect the library to keep it.

IMO its worth waiting a loooong time for a book, rather than pay and donate ( I don't clutter my home ). I was number 162 wait listed for Marie Kondos book abd took 6 months fir my turn. Well worth it (plus blogs and thread here gav me plenty of info).
So unless I NEED it right away I will wait. And read ALOT of other great books first :) .

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2079 on: October 17, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »

Bu the time she opens it, it will be too late.  I will already have my gift.

Of course my other mustachian problem is that there's nothing I really want

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2080 on: October 17, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »

Bu the time she opens it, it will be too late.  I will already have my gift.

Of course my other mustachian problem is that there's nothing I really want

Sounds like you should wish for an "forgive me" card.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2081 on: October 18, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »

IMO its worth waiting a loooong time for a book, rather than pay and donate ( I don't clutter my home ). I was number 162 wait listed for Marie Kondos book abd took 6 months fir my turn. Well worth it (plus blogs and thread here gav me plenty of info).
So unless I NEED it right away I will wait. And read ALOT of other great books first :) .

Funnily enough it is Marie Kondo's book! 16 reservations x 3 week loan = a 48 week wait! I can't wait a year for this one. And if it's as good as everyone says it is I'll want to read it more than once. (That's my standard judgement for keeping my books in the house: if I want to read it more than once, it stays. I have 1.3 bookcases . It works.)

Also, I don't think my library does donations. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere, and surely that would be opening the floodgates to everyone's shitty half-eaten paperbacks to be dumped on the library.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2082 on: October 18, 2015, 06:47:44 AM »
Funnily enough it is Marie Kondo's book! 16 reservations x 3 week loan = a 48 week wait! I can't wait a year for this one. And if it's as good as everyone says it is I'll want to read it more than once. (That's my standard judgement for keeping my books in the house: if I want to read it more than once, it stays. I have 1.3 bookcases . It works.)

I ordered the Kindle edition of this book and read through it twice.  Highly recommended!  My sister is reading it now.

I was pretty far along this path before reading Kondo's book, but it helped tweak my methodology with some useful tactics.  I wrote out a couple pages of notes during my second reading.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2083 on: October 18, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
Also, I don't think my library does donations. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere, and surely that would be opening the floodgates to everyone's shitty half-eaten paperbacks to be dumped on the library.

Some smaller systems don't take donations. We don't advertise it, so if you're ever doing a purge, just ask. (I think we limit it to 2 boxes at a time to the branches and maybe more if you go to the main library.) We don't take textbooks or magazine, which I think are pretty common limitations.

Crappy paperbacks go right in the book disposal boxes. I think we sell those by weight to a recycler, so it still benefits the library. Dunno about your old CDs. Those might cost us to discard?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2084 on: October 18, 2015, 01:52:39 PM »

Wait depends how many copies are in your libraries system . I think there were 16 in mine. I was number 162 on waitlist and got it in 6 months.
Also, I really did have 90% of the information by the time I got the book. I had already used her method by then to "tidy," aka do a massive declutter.

Maaike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2085 on: October 18, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »

Wait depends how many copies are in your libraries system . I think there were 16 in mine. I was number 162 on waitlist and got it in 6 months.
Also, I really did have 90% of the information by the time I got the book. I had already used her method by then to "tidy," aka do a massive declutter.
Maybe someone you know has the MK book and you can borrow it from them?

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #2086 on: October 19, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
You probably won't have to wait that long. Many people will just buy the book and cancel their hold, the library will acquire more copies, or people won't pick up their hold from the library. I've been on several very long hold lists and they never take as long as the straight calculation. Though I was next in line for one book that someone else lost. The library said they have to wait SIX months before replacing it!

I ordered the Kindle edition of this book and read through it twice.  Highly recommended!  My sister is reading it now.

I was pretty far along this path before reading Kondo's book, but it helped tweak my methodology with some useful tactics.  I wrote out a couple pages of notes during my second reading.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2087 on: October 19, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »
Seriously, y'all, I've already bought the book! This is Mustachian People Problems for FUN! I get that I might not have to wait a year but the library only has one copy and even if half of the people drop out that's still six months - I'd wait that for misc fiction but not for something I want to action to improve my life. I hope it'll be £8.56 well spent.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2088 on: October 19, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Seriously, y'all, I've already bought the book! This is Mustachian People Problems for FUN! I get that I might not have to wait a year but the library only has one copy and even if half of the people drop out that's still six months - I'd wait that for misc fiction but not for something I want to action to improve my life. I hope it'll be £8.56 well spent.

And if it isn't, there's clearly a resale market.
(I bought it, too.)

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #2089 on: October 19, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »

Buy it used from Half/Ebay/Amazon, read it, then sell it back, recouping most/all of the cost. If it is a popular book, Costco might sell it for about 25% off list price and they are in brand new condition. I did that a few years ago when I was unwilling to wait for one of the Hunger Games books from the library. I bought it at Costco for about $10 and then sold it on Half.com for about $8. Nowadays, I can get the same book at my local thrift store for 25 cents. :/

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #2090 on: October 19, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »
Just made a large student loan payment.  When I clicked submit, a warning popped up that read "Warning: Your payment exceeds $1,000.00."  I had to go to the time and effort of checking the box that says "do not warn me again."  I plan to make many of those types of payments in the months to come!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2091 on: October 20, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
I have another library problem. I've lived in this new town for just over a year so the library is still fairly new. Every time I go I say to myself, "OK, just a few this time, only as many as you can read" but They have such great books and I keep discovering new brilliant subsections that I get overwhelmed by book greed and then get home and feel slightly sick when I look at the eight books I brought home, as if I just are a whole cake but with books.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2092 on: October 20, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »
I have another library problem. I've lived in this new town for just over a year so the library is still fairly new. Every time I go I say to myself, "OK, just a few this time, only as many as you can read" but They have such great books and I keep discovering new brilliant subsections that I get overwhelmed by book greed and then get home and feel slightly sick when I look at the eight books I brought home, as if I just are a whole cake but with books.

I do that too! Every time. And.. I sometimes already have a stack

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2093 on: October 21, 2015, 03:54:41 AM »
Ahaha!

In my school time I had a simple method of restraining: My backpack was exactly as big as I could read in a month. So I drove once a month to the library, put it full and that was it.  Mostly it worked out to be within 3 days of target day.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2094 on: October 21, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »

I made an account on Goodreads for this exact problem!  Soooo many books out there, and I don't want to forget any of them.  I'm in a small town, so our libraries are small.  I've made a habit of going to bookstores to write down titles to add to my goodreads list.  Then when I'm in the mood for that kind of book, I put it on hold at our library.  I think I have over 200 books on my To Read list on goodreads.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2095 on: October 21, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
Today's Mustachian Problem:

Paying my annual homeowner's policy with a credit card today to meet my minimum spend for bonus miles.

Agent:  "But this doesn't need to be paid until next month!"

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2096 on: October 21, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »

I made an account on Goodreads for this exact problem!  Soooo many books out there, and I don't want to forget any of them.  I'm in a small town, so our libraries are small.  I've made a habit of going to bookstores to write down titles to add to my goodreads list.  Then when I'm in the mood for that kind of book, I put it on hold at our library.  I think I have over 200 books on my To Read list on goodreads.

This makes me glad my library's online system has a wish list feature. Partly because the thoughts of 'oh yes that book that was recommended - wonder if the library has it' happen between 9p and 2a.  Make it easy when I know I'll be looking for a book to read a few days before I go to the site, place a hold on a book in my wish list, then find my way to the library for pick up.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2097 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »

You think you have problems, I bought some swim gloves in Aug, I just noticed I wore a hole
through one finger tip by pushing of the wall in the pool. These cost me $4.46!
  No more pushing of the wall for me.  :-)
                                     Mikek 
Can you mend it?

No, but it's neoprene, so it won't get any bigger.

Although- what exactly is the benefit of swim gloves? I've never seen anyone at our pool in gloves.

They make your hand bigger and harder to push through the water.
They are webbed
 I swim 1 to 2 miles four days a week, I try to make it a good workout,
pushing full strokes through the water with gloves on does that.
Here's what they look like,
http://tinyurl.com/ozwjbwy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:08:41 PM by Qmavam »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2098 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
Wow! I'm shocked by this! A bit shocked that someone could not believe you could save up £75,000 by age 30, pretty shocked that 90 days is the furthest they check back, and TOTALLY shocked that you bought a house for £75k! (Presume in UK because in £.) WHERE???
It's mostly idiots who had a 30min mandatory training  video on "know your customer/money laundering" and believed it.

We owed a £10 fee to the estate agent (realtor) for a copy of a lost key or something trivial - they wouldn't take cash because  "it's against the law" we had to write a cheque !

Sometime in the 90's while buying our third house with an FHA loan, the loan officer brought us back three times, each time wanting older records showing we had been saving the down payment money and it was not a loan we had to payback.

We moved from one state to another, my wife and I went to bank to open an account, we had a check for
$65k to deposit in the new account. They refused to open the account. I didn't want any money, I just wanted to open an account. I went to a bank a 1/4  mile away and got a new account without a problem.

OT.
 While buying our first home in "84"? when a 30 year mortgage was 16.75%, I wanted to get a subsidized
loan from the state at 9%. But, because we were savers and had $20k+ in an account at about 10%, our income was too high, but only by the amount we earned on our savings. We were punished by the state for trying to help outselves.
MY POLITICS CHANGED THAT DAY!  It still ticks me off 31 years later. Oooooommmm. :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2099 on: October 21, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
Wow! I'm shocked by this! A bit shocked that someone could not believe you could save up £75,000 by age 30, pretty shocked that 90 days is the furthest they check back, and TOTALLY shocked that you bought a house for £75k! (Presume in UK because in £.) WHERE???
It's mostly idiots who had a 30min mandatory training  video on "know your customer/money laundering" and believed it.

We owed a £10 fee to the estate agent (realtor) for a copy of a lost key or something trivial - they wouldn't take cash because  "it's against the law" we had to write a cheque !

Sometime in the 90's while buying our third house with an FHA loan, the loan officer brought us back three times, each time wanting older records showing we had been saving the down payment money and it was not a loan we had to payback.

We moved from one state to another, my wife and I went to bank to open an account, we had a check for
$65k to deposit in the new account. They refused to open the account. I didn't want any money, I just wanted to open an account. I went to a bank a 1/4  mile away and got a new account without a problem.

OT.
 While buying our first home in "84"? when a 30 year mortgage was 16.75%, I wanted to get a subsidized
loan from the state at 9%. But, because we were savers and had $20k+ in an account at about 10%, our income was too high, but only by the amount we earned on our savings. We were punished by the state for trying to help outselves.
MY POLITICS CHANGED THAT DAY!  It still ticks me off 31 years later. Oooooommmm. :-)

I had this problem with buying out house after our wedding.  We got some decent sized cash gifts-- nothing crazy but enough to raise a red flag about our down payment source.  But we are still talking a small fraction of the down payment and they made us get signed letter showing the money was a gift not a loan.  It was mostly ridiculous because my brokerage accounts have enough to buy the house outright,AND our DTI was low enough that even if the cash was a loan we would still qualify for the mortgage.  I asked them just to run " worst case" numbers without the letters but they made us get the letter