Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086566 times)

VeggieTable

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3950 on: July 05, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
I don't even like the frugalwoods. I just signed up for Uber Frugal July to participate with this community. But now it doesn't seem right to talk about how useless these frugal tips are for us.

I'm curious what you dislike about Frugalwoods?  The UFM challenge is my first experience with them, but so far I like what I see. Yes, their tips are redundant for us who've read MMM, but I like seeing a young family living their frugality day-to-day. They also seem to attract a more "mainstream" crowd, so I've enjoyed reading the comments and watching people realize they can live well without eating out 3x/week.

Plus, unlike MMM, they don't seem to be basically professional carpenters. When I read a post about a project they've done on their own, I actually feel like I can do it too.

They are a nice couple and their blog is just fine.  Useful info presented in a professional and honest manner.
Anyone interested in the topic will find good info there.

I simply can't stand the "cutesy" aspects of the site.   It sets off my gag reflex. 

That's my pure personal taste, I need not justify that, nor does anyone need to get upset about it.
No one's getting upset or asking anyone to justify. I asked a question of ixtap because I was curious to know what he/she didn't like. I explained what I like about Frugalwoods. The end.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3951 on: July 05, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »
The liquor store is only about a mile away.  However, it's raining, hard.  Don't want to roll two tons of steel, but I'm out of gin.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3952 on: July 06, 2017, 03:10:51 AM »

He could be buying groceries for the whole family.  I know of one family 3-4 unmarried adults who live together so they don't have to live in the inner city.  Each has their own EBT card as they are siblings living with their parents.

Or picking up groceries for a housebound relative / neighbour? I don't know how EBT cards work, but if you can't withdraw cash from them it makes sense that whoever is doing the shopping must pay with the card. Perhaps they're really frugal and they're carpooling a grocery run and optimising manhours by having one person do it all!

icbatbh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3953 on: July 06, 2017, 03:15:26 AM »
I went to submit a meter reading to my electricity provider online, after having received an estimated meter reading for my usage up until March. The trouble is my actual meter reading for today is lower than what they had estimated it to be for March. As a result they wouldn't accept it online so I had to call them to let them know that I haven't been using anywhere near as much electricity as they had expected me to.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3954 on: July 06, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
I went to submit a meter reading to my electricity provider online, after having received an estimated meter reading for my usage up until March. The trouble is my actual meter reading for today is lower than what they had estimated it to be for March. As a result they wouldn't accept it online so I had to call them to let them know that I haven't been using anywhere near as much electricity as they had expected me to.

How often do they come read the meter? If nothing else, you'd get a credit when they do.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #3955 on: July 06, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »
MPP:

My husband and I had to spend some money on clothing at the thrift store because we've both lost so much weight (not eating out, not drinking much, cooking, and hiking/working out in the park) that our old clothes didn't fit anymore.

My neighbors would probably also complain about the increased frequency of...noise...coming from our place ;)

Also, had to purchase new contacts and went through this conversation:

Me: I'd like to buy a year's worth of contacts now.
Them: Are you sure? It's really expensive, you can buy just a few months at a time if you want.
Me: No, that's ok, a year is good.
Them: Well, it's $500, so if you want we could put you on a payment plan.
Me: Uh, that's ok. I'll just pay today. (I hand her my credit card)
Them: Ok, so how many cards will you be splitting this between?
Me: Just that one.
Them: The whole $500?

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! She FINALLY did it, but I honestly felt like she thought I didn't understand that it was a whole $500, and couldn't believe someone could just afford to pay for that.
Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

I'm in awe that the contacts cost $500 a year. I've been spending about $100 a year at 1-800-contacts. I get over a month out of each contact.
I do understand some can't wear them as long as I do.

Yeah, this price kind of surprises me as well.  R. Daneel Olivaw, do you have a special/weird prescription?  Weird astigmatism?  I just paid $252 for an 18-month supply of soft semi-monthlies back in October (1-800 Contacts), and my prescription is for correction of unusually strong nearsightedness.

I would love to be able to only spend $500 on contacts. When I went to the eye doctor earlier this year for my eye exam, and asked about it, he told me that for my eyes, would run $1500-$2000 per year(for 4 sets) due to the amount of astigmatism I have I would require specialized contacts. To put this into perspective, on 1-800 contacts, most of the lenses for astigmatism, the Cyl measurement tops out at -2.75. My good eye is a -4. My bad eye is -5.75. I am tempted to try getting a pair to see how that helps and if I can get by using that for when I am not at work and on a computer all day.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:16:06 PM by Aegishjalmur »

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3956 on: July 06, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
MPP:

My husband and I had to spend some money on clothing at the thrift store because we've both lost so much weight (not eating out, not drinking much, cooking, and hiking/working out in the park) that our old clothes didn't fit anymore.

My neighbors would probably also complain about the increased frequency of...noise...coming from our place ;)

Them: Are you sure? It's really expensive, you can buy just a few months at a time if you want.

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! She FINALLY did it, but I honestly felt like she thought I didn't understand that it was a whole $500, and couldn't believe someone could just afford to pay for that.
Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

I'm in awe that the contacts cost $500 a year. I've been spending about $100 a year at 1-800-contacts. I get over a month out of each contact.

Yeah, this price kind of surprises me as well.  R. Daneel Olivaw, do you have a special/weird prescription?  Weird astigmatism?  I just paid $252 for an 18-month supply of soft semi-monthlies back in October (1-800 Contacts), and my prescription is for correction of unusually strong nearsightedness.

I would love to be able to only spend $500 on contacts. When I went to the eye doctor earlier this year for my eye exam, and asked about it, he told me that for my eyes, would run $1500-$2000 per year(for 4 sets) due to the amount of astigmatism I have I would require specialized contacts. To put this into perspective, on 1-800 contacts, most of the lenses for astigmatism, the Cyl measurement tops out at -2.75. My good eye is a -4. My bad eye is -5.75. I am tempted to try getting a pair to see how that helps and if I can get by using that for when I am not at work and on a computer all day.

Dang! At those prices, just get Lasik/PRK.  It would be cheaper after only 2 years.  I had really terrible eyesight (-4.75/-7) with varying astigmatism that was pretty bad in each eye.  I got PRK in November and it was one of the best things I've ever spent money on.  It's life changing to be able to wake up and just see things and the amount of eye irritation I have has drastically decreased now that there aren't little pieces of plastic chilling in them all day.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3957 on: July 06, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »
[Contact lens prices for funky prescriptions]

Dang! At those prices, just get Lasik/PRK.  It would be cheaper after only 2 years.  I had really terrible eyesight (-4.75/-7) with varying astigmatism that was pretty bad in each eye.  I got PRK in November and it was one of the best things I've ever spent money on.  It's life changing to be able to wake up and just see things and the amount of eye irritation I have has drastically decreased now that there aren't little pieces of plastic chilling in them all day.

Oh my.  If not eye surgery, which I could understand avoiding, what about getting permanent lenses?  A relative has rigid gas permeable lenses, and she has had the same pair for years (decades?).  They require different care than disposables, but they last until they break or your prescription changes.

icbatbh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3958 on: July 07, 2017, 05:12:44 AM »

How often do they come read the meter? If nothing else, you'd get a credit when they do.
I think they are supposed to read once per year, however they haven't knocked at my door to read it for at least two years. The gas meter is outside and that gets read a couple of times a year.

After submitting my last reading it wouldn't suprise me if I get a visit shortly so that they can make sure I'm not tampering with it.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3959 on: July 07, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »

I had this problem.  My meter was suppose to be one of the "smart ones" but it didn't transmit correctly so when I forgot to put in an actual reading online they estimated about 3x my actual use.  The second time I had to call to correct I mentioned my meter was suppose to be smart and they came and replaced it.

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3960 on: July 08, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
As an entry into Mustaschianism I bought myself a second hand Dahon folding bike to do journeys that I otherwise would have needed to drive. It's perfectly good, and I even managed to find some suitable panniers for 6 euros, it's just not the most effecient for speed given the smol wheels and long handlebar to wheel thingy (I only use technical terms, don't you know), making it harder to steer with precision. This now has me lusting over every step-through bike with a basket and rack that I see, and will probably end in me getting a pre-tax loan for a new bike from my employer next time the Cycle to Work scheme rolls around.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3961 on: July 08, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
I can finally hang my laundry in my back garden to dry, but I've had to splash out on some new underwear now all my neighbours can see it flapping in the breeze.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3962 on: July 08, 2017, 03:03:02 PM »
I can finally hang my laundry in my back garden to dry, but I've had to splash out on some new underwear now all my neighbours can see it flapping in the breeze.

Similar problem - I have one bra that has holes in it and is pretty beat up that I've been too lazy to replace so far. I've had a bunch of trips to nude beaches lately that have been kind of embarrassing, because there's no change room or anything that hides it - people just strip down at their spot, because why bother hiding it?

On the plus side, I've saved a lot of money on bathing suits over the years.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3963 on: July 09, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
I had this problem.  My meter was suppose to be one of the "smart ones" but it didn't transmit correctly so when I forgot to put in an actual reading online they estimated about 3x my actual use.  The second time I had to call to correct I mentioned my meter was suppose to be smart and they came and replaced it.

I don't know if you could say a meter is smart - but that company surely isn't, if they can't figure that their smart meter isn't connected anymore.

That is, maybe they are because if it isnt't and you "estimate" 3 times teh amount...

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3964 on: July 10, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »
I don't even like the frugalwoods. I just signed up for Uber Frugal July to participate with this community. But now it doesn't seem right to talk about how useless these frugal tips are for us.

I'm curious what you dislike about Frugalwoods?  The UFM challenge is my first experience with them, but so far I like what I see. Yes, their tips are redundant for us who've read MMM, but I like seeing a young family living their frugality day-to-day. They also seem to attract a more "mainstream" crowd, so I've enjoyed reading the comments and watching people realize they can live well without eating out 3x/week.

Plus, unlike MMM, they don't seem to be basically professional carpenters. When I read a post about a project they've done on their own, I actually feel like I can do it too.

They are a nice couple and their blog is just fine.  Useful info presented in a professional and honest manner.

I simply can't stand the "cutesy" aspects of the site.   It sets off my gag reflex. 

That's my pure personal taste, I need not justify that, nor does anyone need to get upset about it.
No one's getting upset or asking anyone to justify. I asked a question of ixtap because I was curious to know what he/she didn't like. I explained what I like about Frugalwoods. The end.

I follow the Frugalwoods blog partially because the pictures of their property and house are EXACTLY what my husband wants out of life, and it is incredibly useful to have an example to show him of "this is what we could have if we saved more money instead of going on a fancy vacation to Scotland". 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3965 on: July 10, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »
I follow the Frugalwoods blog partially because the pictures of their property and house are EXACTLY what my husband wants out of life, and it is incredibly useful to have an example to show him of "this is what we could have if we saved more money instead of going on a fancy vacation to Scotland".

Yup the financial tips are a bit beginner/intermediate but I'm fascinated by all the homestead stuff, and by Mrs Frugalwoods' freelance writing. I actually emailed Mrs Frugalwoods a while ago, just before they moved, asking about what she thought the transition from city life would be like and what they would do if they found out they didn't like homesteading. She wrote back a lovely reply, all about how they'd just do something else and how money gives you choices, etc. Not earth-shattering, but I was so pleased that she took the time to write a proper email back. And, as someone said upthread, I find their DIY more accessible than MMM (although Mr Frugalwoods still seems pretty pro!)

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3966 on: July 10, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
What "problems" do you have as a result of your mustachian lifestyle? Here's one of mine:

My single garage is nicely organized, with plenty of room for our car and bikes. Since the driveway is always empty, maybe a thief will think we're out of town, break in, and be very disappointed with our few outdated electronics and complete absence of jewelery.

Realize I'm replying to an old post here, but I thought this was hilarious. I worry about this all the time because it looks like we're not home and I'm afraid I will end up on the bad end of some thief anger one day--there is literally nothing in this house worth stealing and I rarely even have any cash that I could use to placate someone. However, from the outside, it looks like a home that might have a lot of nice things in it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3967 on: July 10, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »

Yup the financial tips are a bit beginner/intermediate but I'm fascinated by all the homestead stuff, and by Mrs Frugalwoods' freelance writing. I actually emailed Mrs Frugalwoods a while ago, just before they moved, asking about what she thought the transition from city life would be like and what they would do if they found out they didn't like homesteading. She wrote back a lovely reply, all about how they'd just do something else and how money gives you choices, etc. Not earth-shattering, but I was so pleased that she took the time to write a proper email back. And, as someone said upthread, I find their DIY more accessible than MMM (although Mr Frugalwoods still seems pretty pro!)

They seem like nice people although they are less accessible since they went famous. I dunno. At any rate they never respond to my comments anymore, but that could also be because I got divorced?

I do not mind the baby and dog pictures. I was looking at their blog one day and Big Brother, then aged four or five, starting just busting a gut laughing at one of the Frugal Hound pictures. "That dog is going to read the news and drink coffee!"

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3968 on: July 15, 2017, 04:44:51 AM »
Awesome thread and replies! Some of mine...

I have trouble remembering the passwords to all my investment accounts when I update our net worth spreadsheet.
My wife felt snubbed when we left her income off our mortgage application in order to minimize the required documentation.
I can’t appreciate the finer things in life, like 4k TVs and wine that costs more than $6/bottle.
I have to feign excitement about my annual raise (it only takes a week or two off my FIRE date).
We make too much to contribute to our Roth IRAs.
I have a pile of emails Monday mornings because I don’t work weekends.
Sometimes my stocks keep going up after I sell them.
My spreadsheet says I will have $100 million when I’m 75. What do I do with that?!

Please set up a foundation and give the money away. Please and thank you.

ckosh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3969 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:32 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen people use an EBT card, a couple credit cards, AND cash to checkout at Wal-Mart before..

I wonder what people think when I use  multiple cards for very small purchases (at self checkout if there is not a line) for the mustachian reason of reaching the required number of card usages to meet the requirements for reward checking accounts in order to get higher interest rate.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3970 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:53 AM »
I've been that person too. I had a set of coupons that worked per transaction at the supermarket, so was putting every single item through as a separate transaction. I'd also (finally) sorted through the pocket lint change that was littering every bag and surface in the house so was paying for each transaction with mostly pennies. There was no queue so I wasn't inconveniencing anyone but I don't think that anyone else gave it any thought.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3971 on: July 16, 2017, 05:38:17 AM »

I'm going to pile on because this has been bugging me lately. I believe this is a safe place to express my opinion without hurting anyone's feelings. I don't want to trash her; I'm just wondering if anyone here feels the same way.

Mrs. FW's vocabulary is way over the top. I am a lifelong reader with an excellent command of the language and reasonably strong writing skills. I frequently find her vocabulary off-putting. If she's trying to be more inclusive with these frugal challenges, she might get better results with language that is less highfalutin showy. Even to my trained ear, it smacks of elitism, which I am sure is not her intention. End of rant.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #3972 on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »
I was offered a payment plan for a package of eyebrow waxes that cost about $230. I couldn't believe it!

Before you critique paying for eyebrow waxes, my eyebrows grow wild and that is one thing I dont trust doing myself. I'd probably end up looking like Spock from Star Trek if I tried it myself.

I think I've got the next 2 years of eyebrow waxing covered with that sale on the package of visits.

I got a similar package for my side burns and cheeks (I'm a very hairy person).  Have you tried threading?  I used get my eyebrows, upper lip, and chin waxed then I switched to threading and like it better.  It doesn't irritate my skin as much.  After years of waxing/threading my eyebrows I've gotten to a point where I don't need to get my eyebrows done anymore.  The hairs stopped growing in the unwanted places (or grow very thin like baby hairs) and I only have to trim my eyebrows with tiny scissors every couple of months.  I got the waxing package for my side burns and cheeks hoping that they would eventually thin out too and I won't have to do it forever.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3973 on: July 16, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »
I feel obligated to check in here as another person who will split transactions among multiple cards occasionally.

Right now for example, I've got one debit card that I got from filling out some online surveys - the balance started as $100. And another that is $25 for a rebate from some auto store. And some grocery store gift cards I bought because it was $40 to buy a $50 gift card. I'm one of those people that will swipe a card to use up a $3 remaining balance on it so I can throw it out, then swipe a second card to use up a $10 remaining balance, and do a third swipe using the store gift card. It's got nothing to do with maxing out credit cards or being unable to pay bills. It's just decluttering.

Also - I used to be on WIC coupons, which is similar to EBT. I may have posted about this before, but I see it's time to post it again. My situation was I was in the army reserves (as an intel analyst) while going to grad school and raising a toddler. I wasn't bad with money or stupid, I was investing in my future career. And sometimes I would use my WIC coupons while buying cigarettes in the same transaction.

I don't smoke; I never have. But the woman who volunteered to watch my kid for free on the weekends when I had reserve drills - when day care centers were closed - smoked, but didn't drive. So I would pick up cigarettes for her as a thank you. Or sometimes I would buy her some beer.

It's so infuriating and humiliating to have people behind you in line making comments or glaring when you have purchases like that, and feel like you either have to justify your entire life to them, or have them use you to reinforce their negative stereotypes about public assistance ... or feel like you have to make multiple trips to the store just to avoid that shit, when you can't really afford the time or gas to do multiple trips. Ugh.

So in the same way that we know that people make ridiculous assumptions about us (you bike - you must be poor!), I'm hoping people here can understand that we are equally susceptible to making bad assumptions about others. (You can't afford to feed your child but somehow you can afford to smoke - you must be the worst parent ever!). If we're on this forum, it's likely we have a backstory that people around us don't see - probably related to our retirement accounts. Other people have invisible backstories too.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3974 on: July 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »

I'm going to pile on because this has been bugging me lately. I believe this is a safe place to express my opinion without hurting anyone's feelings. I don't want to trash her; I'm just wondering if anyone here feels the same way.

Mrs. FW's vocabulary is way over the top. I am a lifelong reader with an excellent command of the language and reasonably strong writing skills. I frequently find her vocabulary off-putting. If she's trying to be more inclusive with these frugal challenges, she might get better results with language that is less highfalutin showy. Even to my trained ear, it smacks of elitism, which I am sure is not her intention. End of rant.

I'm also a life long reader and I kinda like when I come across an unfamiliar word in her posts.  It's free education!. Often I'll try to remember to look it up, although I don't always.

I suspect she's including the unusual words just because she can. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3975 on: July 16, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »

I'm also a life long reader and I kinda like when I come across an unfamiliar word in her posts.  It's free education!. Often I'll try to remember to look it up, although I don't always.

I suspect she's including the unusual words just because she can.
Honestly, I rarely encounter a word I don't know, but I've been a word freak all my life. I imagine there are a number of readers who have no idea what she's talking about. Since the FW's don't seem to be the least bit elitist IRL, I find the multiple esoteric polysyllabic words rather incongruous with their message. I do adore the term "frugal weirdos" though. ♡♡♡♡♡♡

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3976 on: July 16, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »
I feel obligated to check in here as another person who will split transactions among multiple cards occasionally.

Right now for example, I've got one debit card that I got from filling out some online surveys - the balance started as $100. And another that is $25 for a rebate from some auto store. And some grocery store gift cards I bought because it was $40 to buy a $50 gift card. I'm one of those people that will swipe a card to use up a $3 remaining balance on it so I can throw it out, then swipe a second card to use up a $10 remaining balance, and do a third swipe using the store gift card. It's got nothing to do with maxing out credit cards or being unable to pay bills. It's just decluttering.

Also - I used to be on WIC coupons, which is similar to EBT. I may have posted about this before, but I see it's time to post it again. My situation was I was in the army reserves (as an intel analyst) while going to grad school and raising a toddler. I wasn't bad with money or stupid, I was investing in my future career. And sometimes I would use my WIC coupons while buying cigarettes in the same transaction.

I don't smoke; I never have. But the woman who volunteered to watch my kid for free on the weekends when I had reserve drills - when day care centers were closed - smoked, but didn't drive. So I would pick up cigarettes for her as a thank you. Or sometimes I would buy her some beer.

It's so infuriating and humiliating to have people behind you in line making comments or glaring when you have purchases like that, and feel like you either have to justify your entire life to them, or have them use you to reinforce their negative stereotypes about public assistance ... or feel like you have to make multiple trips to the store just to avoid that shit, when you can't really afford the time or gas to do multiple trips. Ugh.

So in the same way that we know that people make ridiculous assumptions about us (you bike - you must be poor!), I'm hoping people here can understand that we are equally susceptible to making bad assumptions about others. (You can't afford to feed your child but somehow you can afford to smoke - you must be the worst parent ever!). If we're on this forum, it's likely we have a backstory that people around us don't see - probably related to our retirement accounts. Other people have invisible backstories too.

Thanks for sharing. Your story is a good reminder that we should be less quick to judge*. You could've given your sitter cash, but opting to give her gift she'd use seems like the kinder option, even though it left you exposed to others' judgment.

*I do reserve the right to judge people who I *KNOW* have expensive tastes/habits who complain that it's impossible to ever save any money. C'mon, I'm not a saint.

FIREfly34

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3977 on: July 17, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »
I just developed a great new way for organizing my finances, but I can't really put it into action until the end of the month.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3978 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:24 AM »
*I do reserve the right to judge people who I *KNOW* have expensive tastes/habits who complain that it's impossible to ever save any money. C'mon, I'm not a saint.
Oh god yes, I didn't mean to imply I'm above all judgment. Some people truly are idiots with money and they don't do a good job of hiding it at all!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3979 on: July 17, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
I have to make soup this week, even though it's going to be in the 90s, because the only other choice is to throw away a perfectly good chicken carcass. And that ain't happening.

(Freezer is full, partly due to previous chicken carcasses.)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3980 on: July 17, 2017, 06:29:56 PM »
MPP:

Gee, I hope your not stacking them up like this lady.
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20170717/dozens-of-contact-lenses-found-in-womens-eye?src=RSS_PUBLIC

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #3981 on: July 17, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »
I bought half a sheep from the butcher. They cut it up into all the usual pieces, but also included the spare bits left over from the process. I now have three bags of 'spare bits' - mostly fat and bones with a few meat scraps and ribs - and no idea what to do with them. If I make stock, how would I store that much liquid stock? Soup, maybe?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3982 on: July 17, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
I bought half a sheep from the butcher. They cut it up into all the usual pieces, but also included the spare bits left over from the process. I now have three bags of 'spare bits' - mostly fat and bones with a few meat scraps and ribs - and no idea what to do with them. If I make stock, how would I store that much liquid stock? Soup, maybe?

Reduction and store as psuedo bouillon cubes.
http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-bouillon-portable-soup/
=)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3983 on: July 18, 2017, 04:18:40 AM »

=)

Thank you for sharing this!!!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3984 on: July 18, 2017, 06:48:34 AM »
The dvds I checked out of the library are scratched and unwatchable. :(

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3985 on: July 18, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »

=)

Thank you for sharing this!!!

This might have to go over to the "Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!" thread.  My mom is weird enough that she'd definitely appreciate it :)

ETA - and now it's there :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:57:49 AM by chaskavitch »

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3986 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
I know the feeling, I even had a library employee tell me they suspected one of my kids did it... Way to reward my honesty of reporting it.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3987 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
My credit score is really good but Chase won't let me open more cards because they've gotten wise to me just getting the bonus and ever paying interest :(

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3988 on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
A coffee shop in Canada accidentally charged me nearly $7000 for two coffees. I called my credit card company immediately. Five calls later and half a month later, the transaction has finally been reversed. Personal Capital has a bit of delay, though, so my net worth is still artificially low, and even though $7000 is not a huge percentage of my net worth, it pains me to look at it!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3989 on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
[Contact lens conversation]
Gee, I hope your not stacking them up like this lady.
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20170717/dozens-of-contact-lenses-found-in-womens-eye?src=RSS_PUBLIC

My gosh!  That poor woman!  It makes you wonder if she has very early dementia or thought disposable contact lenses dissolved out the way some stitches (skin sutures) do.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3990 on: July 18, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
I know the feeling, I even had a library employee tell me they suspected one of my kids did it... Way to reward my honesty of reporting it.

I had that happen. I responded with a cold stare and "I don't have any children. And if you think it's appropriate for a child to watch this movie, you have a problem." That particular individual was extremely rude and actually nasty, and the next time I was at the library, one of the supervisors made a point of mentioning that so and so no longer worked there.

There are some advantages to being a regular at the library. I knew ALL of the staff, and a huge number of the volunteers. This one staff person was really not a good person and had no business working in a library.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #3991 on: July 18, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »
When I was reading your contact story I was expecting more than $500.  My lenses are gas permeable are over $180 per lens.   But then again, they usually last me 10 years or so....

My MPP is a light weight.  I now drive a 17 year old car (my last vehicle got totaled while sitting in my driveway).  I wanted to learn to drive a stick (bucket list item) and wanted to pay cash (insurance money) so that is what I ended up with.  It happened to be a convertible, but that is strictly a coincidence (and maybe on bucket list too).

I work at a place where many spend more than I do, and most make more as well.  My old car has no A/C (having 100 degree weather this week), lots of nicks and dings, broken grill, missing extra light.  I kinda stick out among the Hondas, BMWs and the pair of Stingrays.   But I can now drive a stick and the car goes vroom vroom.  I get piteous looks from the ones that don't know I am moving towards FIRE.  :)

Edit - MMP changed to MPP.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3992 on: July 18, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
My MPP today:

I got a washer and dryer for free. They're old, but free, and I hoped that they were the old ones that never died until they were like, 30 years old. I was right, they are.

The washer is 30 years old. It's terminally ill, and death is imminent. Now I have to buy a washer, though going to put it off as long as I can. New washer is already picked out: Speed Queen. Estimate for purchase, delivery, etc is around $1k. Darn it.

On the bright side, I get to play with a power washer this weekend, assuming the store has one available for rental (they have 3, I just need one).

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3993 on: July 19, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
Honestly, I rarely encounter a word I don't know, but I've been a word freak all my life. I imagine there are a number of readers who have no idea what she's talking about. Since the FW's don't seem to be the least bit elitist IRL, I find the multiple esoteric polysyllabic words rather incongruous with their message. I do adore the term "frugal weirdos" though.

I've been told that I use esoteric words. My problem is that I don't notice enough to not use them in general circumstances (like at word). These words are just part of my vocabulary.

There is a stage of childhood development where the child discovers that other people don't have the same knowledge they have. This is something I still struggle with.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3994 on: July 19, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »
My MPP today:

I got a washer and dryer for free. They're old, but free, and I hoped that they were the old ones that never died until they were like, 30 years old. I was right, they are.

The washer is 30 years old. It's terminally ill, and death is imminent. Now I have to buy a washer, though going to put it off as long as I can. New washer is already picked out: Speed Queen. Estimate for purchase, delivery, etc is around $1k. Darn it.

On the bright side, I get to play with a power washer this weekend, assuming the store has one available for rental (they have 3, I just need one).

A friend who owns an appliance shop sells Speed Queens to local dairy farmers for exactly that reason - they never wear out.... even on a dairy farm. (Cow manure is notoriously difficult.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3995 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:30 AM »
I've been told that I use esoteric words. My problem is that I don't notice enough to not use them in general circumstances (like at word). These words are just part of my vocabulary.

I too, have been described as an erudite.

I had to look it up!!!! Loled for days.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #3996 on: July 20, 2017, 03:13:34 AM »
I went to the bank to deposit a cheque and ended up trying to explain to the teller why I wasn't interested in her upsell. 

I knew exactly what she was about to suggest because there was posters all over the bank about their new 'low fee 0% balance transfer card'.  It was cringe worthy.

Teller: I can see on the system that you have a credit card with another bank.
Me: I do, but..
Teller: [interupts me] Did you know that we now offer a 0% balance transfer card with a very low fee.  It's a great product and you would just have to, blah blah blah.
Me: Sorry, that isn't something I'm interested in
Teller: It could save you a lot of money in interest payments!
Me: I pay my credit card off every month, it wouldn't save me anything.
Teller: You mean you pay the minimum payment?  That means you're paying interest!
Me: No, I pay the full balance.  Every month. 
Teller: What do you mean?
Me:  If we spend £2k on the card during the month, we pay the £2k bill at the end of the month.  I do not pay any interest, ever.
Teller:  Oh... that must be nice.

This is the same bank that once told me I must mean 'twenty three hundred not twenty three thousand' when I asked them to move some money between accounts.  No, you condescending fuck.  I mean £23k, check the balance if you want.  Now push the buttons.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:08:49 AM by UKMustache »

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3997 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »
My MPP yesterday:  had to widen a column and change the axis format on a couple of graphs in my household finance tracking spreadsheet because our net worth hit $1M.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:02:13 AM by Zoot »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3998 on: July 20, 2017, 06:22:55 AM »
My MPP yesterday:  had to widen a column and change the axis format on a couple of graphs in my household finance tracking spreadsheet because our net worth hit $1M.  :)

I think this is my favourite MPP ever! Congrats!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3999 on: July 20, 2017, 07:01:14 AM »

I think this is my favourite MPP ever! Congrats!

Right on!  Nice problem to have.  ;)