Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5119535 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #9700 on: February 20, 2023, 06:45:35 PM »
I don't think that there's much point to a bell on a bike.  At least not for the vast majority of people.  Most people are already equipped with a loud noise making device that can be activated instantly without the danger of removing your hands from the brakes.
Wut? Why would I remove my hands from the brakes? I just use my left thumb to ring the bell. 4 fingers on the left hand and all of the right hand are still available for braking if needed.

I'm guessing that you're riding a flat bar bike for short trips off the road most of the time, right?

Because honest curiosity here:

Where should a bell be located so that I can keep my hands over the brakes and ring it with my thumb?  I'm a guy with larger than average hands, and definitely can't reach a bell with my thumb while riding on the hoods or in the drops when the bell is attached on the unwrapped part of the bars near the stem.  I would have to be riding on the tops, away from the brake.  I've tried strapping one over the bar tape on the tops, but then still can't reach it from the drops (where I spend a good portion of my time) and can no longer use the tops when I'm going up a long climb.

The majority of my riding is done in traffic on the road with no cycling infrastructure.  As far as I can tell (from the time that I was using a bell on my bike) the polite little 'ding ding' is completely inaudible to cars.  But the same cars can definitely hear me when I yell.  I don't really see the advantage of using one except as previously mentioned - on a busy mixed use path where you are constantly trying to go around slow people walking and want a quiet, polite ding ding rather than constantly using your voice.

I'm willing to be corrected if missing something, but for the riding that I do bells seem pretty useless.

Um, don't mount it on the unwrapped part of the handlebars? Based on the hand position in that pic, I'd expect the bell placement to be mounted kind of on the end of the black piece-- i.e., placed so you can ring it with your thumb. Or maybe somewhere on the curve of the bar-- again, whereever your thumb could reach it while you're in the drops.

However, I agree that a bell is pretty useless when mixing with vehicular traffic.

The hoods of a bike look like this:

The levers pull towards the bar to brake and are pushed in towards the stem in order to shift.  (Man, there are way fewer roadies on this forum than there used to be!)

The hoods are designed only to accommodate your hands, and are the position that you will spend most of your time in on a road bike.  Even if you could jury-rig a way of mounting a bell there, it would likely be uncomfortable and has a pretty good chance of interfering with the brakes/shifting.  Further back on the bar you will interfere with the tops hand position, or the bell will run into your forearm coming back off the hoods.  Either way, you won't be able to ring the bell when your hands are on the drops - you would have to reduce steering/braking by releasing the bar.

Pretty much anywhere you can mount the bell will require you to take your hands off the brake (at least sometimes) in order to ring it.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9701 on: February 20, 2023, 08:56:09 PM »
Bells on bikes can startle me, the hiker/runner/walker.  I’m going to hear your gears anyway and either moving over or holding my line.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9702 on: February 21, 2023, 06:57:48 AM »

Could just use a whistle?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9703 on: February 21, 2023, 07:18:35 AM »
Bells on bikes can startle me, the hiker/runner/walker.  I’m going to hear your gears anyway and either moving over or holding my line.

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9705 on: February 21, 2023, 07:32:45 AM »

Oh good, I'm not the only one.
Unfortunately around here most of the hiker/runner/walker crowd on the SUP isn't listening.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9706 on: February 21, 2023, 07:53:06 AM »
There are several varieties of bells for drop bars:

https://road.cc/content/review/252403-trigger-bell-safer-bike-bell
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gear/accessories/bike-accessories/bells/canyon-road-cycling-bell/10005999.html
https://atomicrider.com/product/dropbell-road-bike-bell/

For ergonomics, I like the third one the best.  The first one requires a plastic strap for clamping that would be uncomfortable on the hands if you placed in on hoods or the drops.  The second one is at the bar end, so requires that you abandon your brakes to use it.  The third one though seems like it's in the best position and would cause the least interference/be the easiest to use.

None of them are likely to be loud enough in traffic though.  I've seen some bike horns which are as loud as car horns, and suspect that they would work well for this . . . but then you suffer the same problem as yelling - you don't want to use it to warn a pedestrian because it's rude.

glacio09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9707 on: February 21, 2023, 08:26:44 AM »
When I'm on the mixed-use path I'll use a bell (although with how many people use headphones, I'm not sure how useful even that is). My hand positions are also not great, so that I can technically use both the brake and the bell at the same time, but not comfortably. On the road itself, my hands are solidly on both brakes. My mind rarely thinks about the bell until after I have already gone off on whatever idiot almost killed me, at which point a passive aggressive bell ding is a nice touch on top of my tirade. I'm going to get shot one day.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9708 on: February 22, 2023, 06:10:12 AM »
Whilst I love my bell for mixed use paths, and agree that it's useless for cars, there are also many cases where the best thing of all is just to say 'ding' yourself.  Not only is it quicker and doesn't use your hands, but it allows for a much broader range of use. Anything from the gentlest 'ding ding' to avoid startling a walker,  all the way up to a sarcastic 'Ding Bloody Dong' when people have been repeatedly ignoring your bell and blocking the cycle path ;)

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #9709 on: February 22, 2023, 07:02:41 AM »
Whilst I love my bell for mixed use paths, and agree that it's useless for cars, there are also many cases where the best thing of all is just to say 'ding' yourself.  Not only is it quicker and doesn't use your hands, but it allows for a much broader range of use. Anything from the gentlest 'ding ding' to avoid startling a walker,  all the way up to a sarcastic 'Ding Bloody Dong' when people have been repeatedly ignoring your bell and blocking the cycle path ;)

Will admit to doing this myself... although the "Ding Bloody Dong" is a new one. I might have to try that next time I'm frustrated.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9710 on: February 22, 2023, 07:21:49 AM »
Dang bank is closed for the holiday.

I had an extra mortgage payment to make!
Yeah, I was expecting a bank bonus today!
Stupid presidents.

I know that watching the Super Bowl is not in style with this crowd, but I think giving schools the Monday following the super bowl off rather than Presidents' Day would better fit the rhythms of our culture!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9711 on: February 22, 2023, 09:34:48 AM »
Dang bank is closed for the holiday.

I had an extra mortgage payment to make!
Yeah, I was expecting a bank bonus today!
Stupid presidents.

I know that watching the Super Bowl is not in style with this crowd, but I think giving schools the Monday following the super bowl off rather than Presidents' Day would better fit the rhythms of our culture!

Our schools are off for both days... to me it seems like the schools just look for excuses to be off. Schooling in the US sucks.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9712 on: February 22, 2023, 11:10:46 AM »

Will admit to doing this myself... although the "Ding Bloody Dong" is a new one. I might have to try that next time I'm frustrated.

I just imagined someone shouting "Ding Bloody Dong" in a big booming Viking warrior-ish voice.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #9713 on: February 22, 2023, 02:27:55 PM »

I just imagined someone shouting "Ding Bloody Dong" in a big booming Viking warrior-ish voice.

Definitely giving this a go.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9714 on: February 22, 2023, 03:04:27 PM »

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gear/accessories/bike-accessories/bells/canyon-road-cycling-bell/10005999.html

For ergonomics, I like the third one the best.  The first one requires a plastic strap for clamping that would be uncomfortable on the hands if you placed in on hoods or the drops.  The second one is at the bar end, so requires that you abandon your brakes to use it.  The third one though seems like it's in the best position and would cause the least interference/be the easiest to use.

None of them are likely to be loud enough in traffic though.  I've seen some bike horns which are as loud as car horns, and suspect that they would work well for this . . . but then you suffer the same problem as yelling - you don't want to use it to warn a pedestrian because it's rude.

My brakes have auxiliary levers that I can use if I'm sitting upright with my hands on the top of the drop bars.   They aren't as good as the main levers but there you go.   But I also don't ride in traffic.

Don't modern bikes have these any more?   I purchased my road bike back in '88.  I think.   

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9715 on: February 22, 2023, 03:09:02 PM »

My brakes have auxiliary levers that I can use if I'm sitting upright with my hands on the top of the drop bars.   They aren't as good as the main levers but there you go.   But I also don't ride in traffic.

Don't modern bikes have these any more?   I purchased my road bike back in '88.  I think.
No they don’t, and I cannot think of any good reason they don’t.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9716 on: February 22, 2023, 03:14:19 PM »

The old style suicide levers eventually fell out of use - likely due to the fact they never pulled enough cable to actually perform a hard stop:

You can get cross levers now, which do sort of the same thing except they pull enough cable that you'll stop properly:

But the whole point of having drop bars is to get away from riding around up high and eating wind.  I find myself on the tops pretty much only when cycling up hill on long slow climbs.  Otherwise you go faster (and will be more comfortable due to wrist angle) in the drops or on the hoods.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9717 on: February 22, 2023, 05:38:01 PM »
Dragging the thread back on topic--

I got my tax refund today! But since I try very hard not to let the government use my money for free all year, my whole refund is just over $100.

My goal every year is to break even or even owe a tiny bit that is easy to pay off by April 15th. But I don't get the rush of getting thousands of dollars to take to the new car dealership or the rent-to-own furniture store! Cue the tiny violins.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #9718 on: February 22, 2023, 06:43:08 PM »

I got my tax refund today! But since I try very hard not to let the government use my money for free all year, my whole refund is just over $100.

My goal every year is to break even or even owe a tiny bit that is easy to pay off by April 15th. But I don't get the rush of getting thousands of dollars to take to the new car dealership or the rent-to-own furniture store! Cue the tiny violins.

way to... SHIFT us back into GEAR ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9719 on: February 23, 2023, 03:14:43 AM »
Continuing on the theme...I just facepunched someone. Should I not have done that?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9720 on: February 23, 2023, 04:52:53 AM »
Continuing on the theme...I just facepunched someone. Should I not have done that?
Depends.
A) Was ist for a good reason?
B) Are there witnesses?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9721 on: February 23, 2023, 05:03:04 AM »
Depends.
A) Was ist for a good reason? It seemed so at the time.
B) Are there witnesses? Apparently so.
Perhaps posting under the influence of caffeine-induced insomnia was unwise, but what the hell else is there to do until this shit wears off? At least I don't have an alarm waiting to sound. Ugh.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9722 on: February 23, 2023, 05:48:27 AM »

When did you file? I missed big time last year due to back to back relocation years and I was worried about a third so really over withheld. Additionally, we have a legacy fund in taxable that often tosses out significant capital gains, but not in 2022.

Several thousand due from feds and a couple thousand from state. I just filed early last week, but I am already drooling about buying VTSAX with it.

I already redid my W4 to pull it back a bit.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9723 on: February 23, 2023, 06:24:52 PM »
I filed on the 12th. It took until the 11th to get the last of the forms I needed.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9724 on: February 24, 2023, 08:20:06 PM »
Both my state and federal tax refunds hit my savings account today. It's not big enough to put a down payment on a new car for 84 months at 8% interest...darn :)/s

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9725 on: February 25, 2023, 07:35:03 AM »
When I was working, I always prided myself for getting the smallest refund possible. I got it to within $10 one year. When I retired, I took my pension in a lump sum paid over 10 years. My pension payments are withheld at a rate of 20%. I have tried to find a way to adjust this withholding but have been told there is no way. So every year for the last 8 years, I have $10,000 withheld and I get a refund or around $8,000. Only 2 more years to go.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #9726 on: February 26, 2023, 06:20:54 AM »
When I was working, I always prided myself for getting the smallest refund possible. I got it to within $10 one year. When I retired, I took my pension in a lump sum paid over 10 years. My pension payments are withheld at a rate of 20%. I have tried to find a way to adjust this withholding but have been told there is no way. So every year for the last 8 years, I have $10,000 withheld and I get a refund or around $8,000. Only 2 more years to go.

Too big of a tax refund is not optimal, but it's definitely an mpp!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9727 on: February 27, 2023, 08:00:44 AM »
I try to control my withholding by using "extra" money taken out of the pay checks rather than updating the exemptions on the form I-9. I always overshoot in both directions, so my tax results careen betwen large refunds and large amounts owed.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9728 on: February 27, 2023, 11:05:24 AM »
I try to control my withholding by using "extra" money taken out of the pay checks rather than updating the exemptions on the form I-9. I always overshoot in both directions, so my tax results careen betwen large refunds and large amounts owed.

I check our projected refund a few times a year on the IRS calculator and adjust my withholdings accordingly.  My husband does contract work on the side and it's so variable I can't reliably predict how much I need withheld.  It's annoying, but better (to me) than being really far in either direction.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9729 on: February 27, 2023, 11:22:51 AM »
I put 15 for number of exemptions and massive amount of deductions to get to zero, then my plan is to keep an eye on things and use that "extra withholding" as we get deeper into the year. Just switched payroll providers for my LLC, so it is top of mind.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9730 on: February 27, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
I can't finish my taxes yet because my old employer mailed my W2 to my old address even though I gave them a forwarding address and they couldn't re-mail it out to my new address without having me fill out more forms to authorize them.   I have no clue how taxes are going to work out because we had a baby, sold a house, bought a house (but had a large portion of fees covered by a relocation package) and went from a no state income tax state to a heavily taxed state.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9731 on: February 27, 2023, 12:44:47 PM »
I can't finish my taxes yet because my old employer mailed my W2 to my old address even though I gave them a forwarding address and they couldn't re-mail it out to my new address without having me fill out more forms to authorize them.   I have no clue how taxes are going to work out because we had a baby, sold a house, bought a house (but had a large portion of fees covered by a relocation package) and went from a no state income tax state to a heavily taxed state.

You'll probably pay less in taxes. Sold house - probably don't pay taxes on any gain. Bought house - have extra to deduct. Relocation package - you'll pay tax on the income. Baby - extra deductions and credits. State with taxes - more to deduct (assuming you itemize).

As for the W2 address - so there's now a copy of your w-2 out in the wild because of their incompetence? Wonderful. /s   And they don't have an online portal you can pull it? How backwards of them. They need to get their acts together.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9732 on: March 11, 2023, 01:48:50 PM »
Today's MPP, in two parts:

1) Finding this thread! Nobody has posted in weeks!

2) So, I had another great review and a raise which was well-above-average for the organization.  However, it appears that I'm doing a bit too well - my supervisor is pretty excited about getting me more "visible" and into more of a "leadership" role. Except...

I'm quite happy where I am, doing what I'm doing. I'm making a real difference at real scale. I'm compensated well. Historically, people management hasn't been fun for me. Going more that direction really doesn't have any appeal.

But he's a great guy, and I don't want to let him down.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9733 on: March 11, 2023, 05:24:17 PM »
Former employer changed to doing a 401k “true-up” match after year end, so a check for $1,500 showed up in the mail yesterday because I maxed contributions for last year before leaving that job. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9734 on: March 11, 2023, 08:51:48 PM »
Former employer changed to doing a 401k “true-up” match after year end, so a check for $1,500 showed up in the mail yesterday because I maxed contributions for last year before leaving that job. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.
If you can't figure it out, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :P

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9735 on: March 13, 2023, 10:41:05 PM »

Taxable check or paid out as retirement money? Unsure what would be normal there.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #9736 on: March 13, 2023, 11:50:54 PM »

Taxable check or paid out as retirement money? Unsure what would be normal there.

Oh, now that you say that...it could totally have been a "distribution" from the old 401k plan. Can be re-deposited into a trad IRA or a new 401k (must be within 60 days of the check date, I believe) without paying 10% penalty or income tax...but the old plan would have withheld 20%, and that part will be subject to penalty and tax if OP doesn't ante up out of pocket. The 20% can be claimed on the appropriate year's taxes and refunded that way. If you don't deposit into another retirement vehicle, then the whole thing is subject to tax and penalty.

If I were the OP, I'd contact prior employer's HR and possibly an IRL tax person.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #9737 on: March 14, 2023, 10:42:31 AM »

2) So, I had another great review and a raise which was well-above-average for the organization.  However, it appears that I'm doing a bit too well - my supervisor is pretty excited about getting me more "visible" and into more of a "leadership" role. Except...

I'm quite happy where I am, doing what I'm doing. I'm making a real difference at real scale. I'm compensated well. Historically, people management hasn't been fun for me. Going more that direction really doesn't have any appeal.

If its any comfort, my brother spent years fighting management about promoting him because he tried managing people and didn't like it.  He was good at it, was the problem. . . So he stayed at a lower level position with lower (slightly, they don't pay managers in tech fields that much more) pay until he retired. 

My MPP; my last year at my employer there was a big bonus, a surprise exercise of stock options and dividend payment (private company, so hard to predict), and because of having underpaid taxes for a couple of years running I greatly increased my withholdings.  Doing my taxes now for 2022, I got a ~$500 refund for federal taxes, just about perfect, but a $7k refund for state taxes, so a teensy bit high. . .   On the bright side, I guess, I paid more in total taxes last year then I made in gross income in my last year at my previous job.  :)

This year is going to be as hard to predict, got another bonus and retired 3 days later as planned, but I'll also be doing some unknown amount of consulting for my former company, so that is hard to predict.  I'll have to spend some time this year doing more accurate calculations of tax liability than I have in the past I think. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9738 on: March 14, 2023, 04:07:19 PM »

My MPP; my last year at my employer there was a big bonus, a surprise exercise of stock options and dividend payment (private company, so hard to predict), and because of having underpaid taxes for a couple of years running I greatly increased my withholdings.  Doing my taxes now for 2022, I got a ~$500 refund for federal taxes, just about perfect, but a $7k refund for state taxes, so a teensy bit high. . .   On the bright side, I guess, I paid more in total taxes last year then I made in gross income in my last year at my previous job.  :)

This year is going to be as hard to predict, got another bonus and retired 3 days later as planned, but I'll also be doing some unknown amount of consulting for my former company, so that is hard to predict.  I'll have to spend some time this year doing more accurate calculations of tax liability than I have in the past I think.
Badass!

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #9739 on: March 20, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »

I have been in this exact position. Being proficient at a job vs. managing people who do that job are utterly different skillsets. Does knowing the job help in certain aspects? Absolutely, but at the end of the day, your job is managing people - resolving conflicts, intercessing for them with upper management, scheduling around illnesses or PTO, approving expense reports, assigning work, coordinating resources, removing blockers, issuing discipline, and the list goes on forever. My learning curve was UGLY. I had no idea how to manage people, or to account for folks whose motivation and sensitivites were different than my own. It's a whole different ball game to work with someone than have them report to you. The administrative tasks are numerous, but conquerable. I'm here to tell you, though, successfully managing PEOPLE is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

I was, in my own estimation, absolutely terrible in the beginning. My mentor/boss supported me because I worked VERY hard to get up to speed, but I would have hated working under me during that period. I ended up being a pretty good manager (they tried to push me to director), but damn, the curve was hideous.

I know you don't want to disappoint the "great guy," but you will not disappoint him less by turning into a flaming crater in a position you simply don't want and for which you might not be prepared. If you choose to change positions, then my advice is to do so because you WANT to do it. It should represent some kind of advance for you such as monetary, career trajectory, personal objective, or what-have-you. "I don't wanna tell him no" is not going to bring you comfort when you've swapped a job in which you are fulfilled for one in which you're miserable, and it will make him look bad for recommending you.

My $0.02, and possibly overpriced at that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:27:06 AM by RetireOrDieTrying »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9740 on: March 20, 2023, 10:18:08 AM »
And the worst part of that stuff is when they offer you such a promotion and you turn it down because you don't want to be a manager (or know you would be terrible) and then get fired because you clearly are not interested in the company.

Of course you could argue that's because only mangers who are "interested" get promoted...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9741 on: March 20, 2023, 11:18:12 AM »
I am in that position right now. I got encouraged (pushed) into a VP position I did not want and knew I wasn’t ready for and I am crashing and burning. It’s not good. I am trying to learn a new field while still stuck doing my old job, the new job, managing staff and doing subpar work all around.  It is not good for me or anyone around me. I can see how I might enjoy aspects of the work if I can ever get ahead and stop just putting out fires… but will that day ever come? 

I guess my MPP is that I do plan to downshift in a couple years. I might be more motivated to invest more at work but I’ve checked out early. Or maybe this is just burnout and stress talking and not a MPP but I do wish I had not taken the promotion.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #9742 on: March 20, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »
MPP of the day:

Bank is still reporting 18k in cash that I invested in VTI. I can't seem to do anything to make it go away. Has zero real world consequences, but it bothers me a lot that the numbers are not right.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9743 on: March 20, 2023, 02:12:09 PM »
Got a couple of raises and bonuses in 2022. Forgot to increase additional withholding. And I think I messed up the W-4 re-do in Dec 2021 as payroll admin lost my previous. As a result, had $10k less withheld in 2022. Will have to pay a penalty, CPA wife estimates $250-300 to the IRS. But also have to re-do my W-4 additional withholding because new 2023 job pays 30% more than old one. Small price to pay for additional few thousands in W-2 income (which also reduces our TTF (Time To FIRE)).

other minor MPPs: rolling old 401k into Vanguard IRA; rolling old HSA into a Fidelity HSA. The processes are easy, finding time is harder. Both are in progress, at the expense of delaying some honey-dos.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 07:06:14 PM by jinga nation »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9744 on: March 20, 2023, 05:54:07 PM »
Got a couple of raises and bonuses in 2022. Forgot to increase additional withholding. And I think I messed up the W-2 re-do in Dec 2021 as payroll admin lost my previous. As a result, had $10k less withheld in 2022. Will have to pay a penalty, CPA wife estimates $250-300 to the IRS. But also have to re-do my W-2 additional withholding because new 2023 job pays 30% more than old one. Small price to pay for additional few thousands in W-2 income (which also reduces our TTF (Time To FIRE)).

other minor MPPs: rolling old 401k into Vanguard IRA; rolling old HSA into a Fidelity HSA. The processes are easy, finding time is harder. Both are in progress, at the expense of delaying some honey-dos.

just fyi, you can do the W-4 correctly and it will still screw things up for you. The withholding tables are screwy now. I didn't change anything, in 2021 I got $400 back and in 2022 I owe $400. It should have been consistent between both years. So, when you do your w-4, after the next paycheck run the numbers and adjust your w-4 if necessary.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9745 on: March 20, 2023, 06:02:47 PM »
In many prior years, I always had to fill out a W-4 to withhold more than the "Regular" amount, due to having additional income from investments, rentals, roth conversions, whatever.

However, this year, I tried something different.  I applied for a credit card, with a $200 reward sign-up bonus, 2% cash back on all purchases, and a 0% promo APR until July 2024.  I used that credit card to make a very large 2023-Q1 estimated tax payment to the IRS (which included a 1.85% fee).  It was enough "spent" to harvest the $200 initial bonus, plus a lot of additional 2% reward.  I really cranked down the withholding on my W-4, and I plan on just using my "larger paychecks" throughout the year to buy short term T-Bills until it's time to pay off the CC before the promotion expires.  Thanks Wells Fargo! You can get your $180/month minimum payments in the meantime :D

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:05:10 PM by rantk81 »

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9746 on: March 20, 2023, 06:15:19 PM »

just fyi, you can do the W-4 correctly and it will still screw things up for you. The withholding tables are screwy now. I didn't change anything, in 2021 I got $400 back and in 2022 I owe $400. It should have been consistent between both years. So, when you do your w-4, after the next paycheck run the numbers and adjust your w-4 if necessary.

The withholding tables changed in 2022; 2021 had plenty of stimulus changes that lapsed in 2022. They are also adjusted for inflation.

I have a spreadsheet, where I do the math:

+ My income
+ DH's income (minus equipment costs, 1/2 SE taxes, 20% off the top not taxed)
+ Interest income
- Subtract all tax deferred expenses: 401(k) contributions, medical premiums, parking, FSA.

= Adjusted Gross Income.

- Subtract the Standard Deduction, giving the Taxable income.

Then I do the math:

Up to $22,000 (10%)          $2,200.00
$22,001-$89,450 (12%)   $8,093.88
$89,451-190,570 (22%)   $22,246.18

So in January, once I have all the changes to my medical premiums, parking, LT and ST disability premiums, I can see what the current W-4 assumes is enough.

And then I subtract the January taxes from the annual estimated amount - say $2500. So with $2500 paid from $32,500 owed, I need to withhold $30k over the rest of the year.

I divide the $30k above by my remaining number of paychecks (11) and come up with $2727.27. So I then go to the employer's site, and record that I want an additional $227.27 withheld from all future paychecks, on top of what was already in the system. That gets me pretty close!

I owe the Feds $203 this year.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:21:28 PM by Sandi_k »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9747 on: March 20, 2023, 07:10:04 PM »
Got a couple of raises and bonuses in 2022. Forgot to increase additional withholding. And I think I messed up the W-2 re-do in Dec 2021 as payroll admin lost my previous. As a result, had $10k less withheld in 2022. Will have to pay a penalty, CPA wife estimates $250-300 to the IRS. But also have to re-do my W-2 additional withholding because new 2023 job pays 30% more than old one. Small price to pay for additional few thousands in W-2 income (which also reduces our TTF (Time To FIRE)).

I'll be using the IRS Withholding Estimator (https://apps.irs.gov/app/tax-withholding-estimator) once my 401(k) kicks in on April 1 (Vanguard funds, YAY!) and we have our rental net income. And then supply employer with new W-4. More money, more problems!
It feels like the IRS guys are Spy vs Spy and hanging around the corner with a baton, waiting for me to make a mistake.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #9748 on: March 20, 2023, 07:34:20 PM »
I planned my 401k contribution percentage to max on my retirement date.  Then I got a bonus and even with my pulled in date I'll have a paycheck with no 401k match.  Horrors!

I might redo the forms now that they know I'm leaving, to soak up that last little bit of match.  Definitely a MPP.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9749 on: March 21, 2023, 11:20:52 AM »
In many prior years, I always had to fill out a W-4 to withhold more than the "Regular" amount, due to having additional income from investments, rentals, roth conversions, whatever.

However, this year, I tried something different.  I applied for a credit card, with a $200 reward sign-up bonus, 2% cash back on all purchases, and a 0% promo APR until July 2024.  I used that credit card to make a very large 2023-Q1 estimated tax payment to the IRS (which included a 1.85% fee).  It was enough "spent" to harvest the $200 initial bonus, plus a lot of additional 2% reward.  I really cranked down the withholding on my W-4, and I plan on just using my "larger paychecks" throughout the year to buy short term T-Bills until it's time to pay off the CC before the promotion expires.  Thanks Wells Fargo! You can get your $180/month minimum payments in the meantime :D

Quarterly payments gang!  People who are going to FIRE will need to get used to it anyway.