Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086699 times)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #850 on: December 30, 2014, 06:50:32 AM »
But the new twist...two friends are turning 50 in the next year or two. They both want to plan "destination birthdays". I was like...what? Their birthdays are 4 months apart.

These 2 are friends with each other, right?  So why not have one combined birthday trip?  I did that this year with 5 friends of mine who were all having "milestone" birthdays.  It wasn't a frugal trip, to be sure, but at least there was only one.  We scheduled the trip when everyone could go, which actually wasn't over any one person's birthday, but covered the celebration for all.  It was our first "girls trip" since everyone started having kids a dozen years ago.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #851 on: December 30, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »
But the new twist...two friends are turning 50 in the next year or two. They both want to plan "destination birthdays". I was like...what? Their birthdays are 4 months apart.

These 2 are friends with each other, right?  So why not have one combined birthday trip?  I did that this year with 5 friends of mine who were all having "milestone" birthdays.  It wasn't a frugal trip, to be sure, but at least there was only one.  We scheduled the trip when everyone could go, which actually wasn't over any one person's birthday, but covered the celebration for all.  It was our first "girls trip" since everyone started having kids a dozen years ago.

Yes, you'd think so, right? The thing is the one that lives in the US and wants to go to Europe wants her dream Paris trip, and the other one living in Europe has now come to her senses and wants a US trip (not where we all live though). The one living in Europe tends to dominate the plans so I think the US based friend doesn't want her trampling on her plans yet again. At least that's how I see it.

Oh well, I've gotten into way too much detail here. My main gripe was this "destination birthday" concept. I think it's just an excuse to travel together again which we haven't done in a while. That's all fine and dandy, but by labelling it their 50-year-old birthday trip they are going to dominate the plans and make it costly, because that's the kind of people they are. Not out of malice or anything, they just like to splurge.

We'll see see if my FIRE begins in 2015 or 2016. Perhaps I can turn it into a more slow travel type thing once on the trip, or not go at all. It wasn't what I had planned as my first step in FIRE so it's frustrating. But it's also nice to have friends that want to hang out with you so money isn't always the top concern.

I could also mention that MY desire for my 50 year old birthday is to be FIRE and their desires for 50 may be incompatible with that. But I don't turn 50 for another 4 years. There is probably a reason why these spendy single high-earning women with no children still can't FIRE at 50...hee hee...

Thanks for listening to my rant. ;-)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: December 31, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
Your SO gets mad at you for pointing out he already has what he needs to solve a problem and doesn't need to buy something.

He needs to take digitized hand-written notes and was excited about the possibility of buying a tablet. I pointed out he could use his laptop that has a touchscreen.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #853 on: December 31, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
Maybe not quite a Mustachian problem, but few non financially literate people will appreciate this one:
I get a supplemental fellowship of $5500 a year from my school in two parts, once in January and once in August. Well my school decided to post the January payment to my account yesterday. Meaning it is income for this year. I was just barely under the 25% bracket, and now most of that $2750 will get taxed at 25%. And then of course next year I'll get paid just $2750 in August. If I got paid $2750 in January like I am supposed to, I wouldn't be in the 25% bracket this year nor next year. UGH.

And it also throws off my calculations of tax withholding. Now time to go off and calculate if I need to make a quarterly tax payment to avoid a possible penalty....

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: December 31, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
Maybe not quite a Mustachian problem, but few non financially literate people will appreciate this one:
I get a supplemental fellowship of $5500 a year from my school in two parts, once in January and once in August. Well my school decided to post the January payment to my account yesterday. Meaning it is income for this year. I was just barely under the 25% bracket, and now most of that $2750 will get taxed at 25%. And then of course next year I'll get paid just $2750 in August. If I got paid $2750 in January like I am supposed to, I wouldn't be in the 25% bracket this year nor next year. UGH.

And it also throws off my calculations of tax withholding. Now time to go off and calculate if I need to make a quarterly tax payment to avoid a possible penalty....

Before you go messing with all that, check your pay statement and 2014 W-2 (when it comes out).  My payday is Friday (Jan 2), but the money was direct deposited into my account today.  I was concerned about that at first, but my pay statement clearly says the pay date is Jan 2 and all my tax withholdings, etc, are applied to 2015.  I just get to use the money a few days early.  Maybe it is the same for you.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #855 on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »

Before you go messing with all that, check your pay statement and 2014 W-2 (when it comes out).  My payday is Friday (Jan 2), but the money was direct deposited into my account today.  I was concerned about that at first, but my pay statement clearly says the pay date is Jan 2 and all my tax withholdings, etc, are applied to 2015.  I just get to use the money a few days early.  Maybe it is the same for you.
This is not wage income on a W-2. This is a fellowship payment issued by the bursar's office of my school, which shows up on a 1098-T. There is a chance that they will date the payment for 2015, but I will have to see. Hopefully that will come before the deadline for 2014 Q4 tax payments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:22:11 PM by johnny847 »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #856 on: December 31, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
My girlfriend and I went to Kohl's today, because my grandma gave us each $50 gift cards ($100 total) for Christmas.  We could only find ~$60 of things we wanted (socks for me, gloves for her, and some minor cookware).  Oh well, at least the remaining card won't expire and we can use it for something in the future if need be.

It'd be nice if all giftcards were just to the grocery store.  It'd be so much easier to spend them.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #857 on: January 01, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »

Oo... sorry about that.  Exact same situation for me (fellowship, paid once in August and once in January, at $2500 a pop), but they clearly state the disbursement will happen in early January (thankfully).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #858 on: January 02, 2015, 04:07:35 AM »
Both my crockpots were full yesterday (chili and spaghetti sauce) and they will be full again tomorrow! Black beans and navy beans are soaking overnight and will be cooked tomorrow. I used to have 3 crockpots but one broke :-(

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #859 on: January 04, 2015, 06:58:15 AM »
I want to start working on my taxes but the new electronic forms aren't up until Jan 7.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #860 on: January 04, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
I want to start working on my taxes but the new electronic forms aren't up until Jan 7.
Hahhaha I'm in the same boat!

mattm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #861 on: January 04, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »

Haha, me too. I would have gotten my taxes done on the 1st if I could.

Linette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #862 on: January 04, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »
I have trouble to enjoy spending money. I did backpacking for 2 years (a test early retirement) and it often happened that I ended up living cheap and not frugal missing out on a lot of fun which seemed too expensive at that time. It's still nagging at me. Although by that I could travel 26 months instead of 18. But then again quality vs. quantity. Had that problem all my life and I still can't handle it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #863 on: January 04, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »
It's my birthday today. I haven't been able to decide between getting new slippers (warm feet!) or a CL bike (fun and healthy transport!). I'm not willing to spend more so I can have both. So now I have neither.

KidneyMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #864 on: January 04, 2015, 10:37:24 AM »

Are you Ned Flanders?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #865 on: January 04, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »
I wonder what percentage of us love completing our taxes... I am anxiously awaiting all of my documents.

mattm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #866 on: January 04, 2015, 11:56:14 AM »
Are you Ned Flanders?

[/quote]

Hahahahaha! I forgot all about that episode!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #867 on: January 04, 2015, 11:57:03 AM »
I wonder what percentage of us love completing our taxes... I am anxiously awaiting all of my documents.
I did a spreadsheet estimate last week based on final paystubs.  I am very much looking forward to getting my paperwork in so I have final numbers and can file!

I bet this is a pretty common mustachian problem!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #868 on: January 04, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »
I did a spreadsheet estimate last week based on final paystubs.  I am very much looking forward to getting my paperwork in so I have final numbers and can file!

Yup!   

Just yesterday I used my last pay stub of the year to do our 2014 taxes (just waiting on final docs to file them) *and* did 8 variations of scenarios for 2015 taxes to see how various earnings/savings/sitches would play out.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #869 on: January 04, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
Oh, I did the paycheck spreadsheet to determine withholdings for next year, several scenarios as well.  I fully expect life to change though and I'll have to switch things up when it does.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #870 on: January 04, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »
Oh, I did the paycheck spreadsheet to determine withholdings for next year, several scenarios as well.  I fully expect life to change though and I'll have to switch things up when it does.
If you're paid biweekly, and got your first paycheck this year on 1/2 or 1/1 (though I'm guessing not 1/1 because of the holiday), you may end up with 27 paychecks this year. I think I will - but I won't know for sure until the fiscal year for my employer ends 6/30, and they release the pay schedule for the rest of this year (I would have a paycheck on 1/1/2016, but usually employers pay one day early in the case of a bank holiday).

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #871 on: January 04, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »
We use plastic grocery sacks for household trash can liners. But sometimes we run out because we don't go shopping often enough.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »
I've been watching football games with a friend at his house, and these things keep popping up in the middle of game.   They feature random people telling me that I need crap I don't really need... like boner pills and Cadillacs. 

I forgot what commercials were because I've had Netflix for 3 years. 

Same friend was also REALLY surprised when I told him he should sign up for a credit card offer he got in the mail that was 22% interest.  He was really surprised I was the one to say it because he knows I'm frugal.  I explained it was a cash back card so he could earn 1.5% cash back, and as long as he paid it in full every month... no interest.  I think I lost him at 'pay in full each month.'

My plans on new years day.  I did a cash flow analysis for 2014.  I've also already used my final paystub to pre fill most of my tax information. 

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #873 on: January 04, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
We use plastic grocery sacks for household trash can liners. But sometimes we run out because we don't go shopping often enough.
Do you mean, like, plastic bags? What do you use as bin liners if you don't have plastic bags from the grocery store?

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #874 on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »
My plans on new years day.  I did a cash flow analysis for 2014.  I've also already used my final paystub to pre fill most of my tax information.

Ha! That's exactly what I did. I have everything ready to go and just have to wait for a few official forms to come in (in 2 or 3 months) then I can finally file.  I used to have a job where I issued the cheques and the T4's (Canadian income tax forms) I always had mine on Dec 31 at the latest. I miss that.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #875 on: January 05, 2015, 02:30:35 AM »
Do you mean, like, plastic bags? What do you use as bin liners if you don't have plastic bags from the grocery store?

Yes, plastic bags. There have been days where we had none left in the cabinet, and the trash bin was verging on overfull. Most of our trash is diapers and dry waste, so if we didn't have liners, we'd survive okay, but we end up forcing ourselves to go to the grocery store and buy something that's on a good sale so we can stock up on some bags.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #876 on: January 05, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »

Yup!   

Just yesterday I used my last pay stub of the year to do our 2014 taxes (just waiting on final docs to file them) *and* did 8 variations of scenarios for 2015 taxes to see how various earnings/savings/sitches would play out.

Same here.  Have the excel spreadsheet that gets updated throughout the year too.  Curious how close the estimated and actual return will be.  DH shakes head, laughs and starts singing the "It's the most wonderful time of the year" song and then says "Tax time!".   

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #877 on: January 05, 2015, 07:41:01 AM »

You clearly don't shop at my Walmart.  My husband usually brings his own bags. One day I was unpacking them, and found both the milk and the eggs double bagged inside of a sack.  4 bags inside of 1.  When he goes shopping without his own bags, he easily comes home with 12, when 3 would have done fine. We don't get them that much but have an absolutely never ending supply of plastic bags. (That I sometimes remember to go take in for recycling.)

We use them as trash can liners too for the non-kitchen trash, but only use 1 every 2 or 3 weeks, so they don't go very fast.

I either watch Netflix or shows I recorded on windows media player. I tried to watch a show live yesterday and turned it off 10 minutes in.  The commercials were horrid.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #878 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »

Are you Ned Flanders?

LOL.  I did my taxes last week.  Of course I don't have any documents yet, so everything was just an estimate, just to get a ballpark figure of my return and i'll have to wait for my official documents to update it. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: January 05, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »

Have you considered taking them from the plastic bag recycling drop-off? I was nearly at the point you're at, but then my across-the-hall neighbor put a bunch out with her recycling, so I took out her recycling when I took out my own and stole them.

Mustachian problem: finding a way not to attract stares when you're stealing used plastic bags.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #880 on: January 05, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »

Have you considered taking them from the plastic bag recycling drop-off? I was nearly at the point you're at, but then my across-the-hall neighbor put a bunch out with her recycling, so I took out her recycling when I took out my own and stole them.

Mustachian problem: finding a way not to attract stares when you're stealing used plastic bags.

Haha! That's one way to recycle.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #881 on: January 05, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »
I've also found that if you ask the supermarket cashier or bagger really, really nicely, they'll give you extra bags for free.

AvisJinx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #882 on: January 05, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »
I either watch Netflix or shows I recorded on windows media player. I tried to watch a show live yesterday and turned it off 10 minutes in.  The commercials were horrid.

I started to watch a PBS program last night, but before the show even started there was one commercial or "funded by" announcement after the other.  So I decided to wait until the episode is released on their Roku channel and switched over to something on Netflix. I've actually gotten to the point where I won't even sit through a handful of public television commercials; and they're nowhere near as stupid as what's on regular broadcast TV.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #883 on: January 05, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »
From what I have read, lots of those plastic bags will end up in the ocean.  I just found some horrific pictures of "islands of plastic", but decided not to post them here.

I use biodegradable plastic bags, but someone in the MMM forum pointed out that it probably takes a heck of a long time for them to degrade.  So I think I will switch to using paper bags.

Since I compost food scraps and do not generate meat scraps or eggshells, I rarely have anything wet in my garbage.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #884 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »

Me too!  I don't watch commercial television at all, just Netflix.  Over the holiday, people were talking about all the movies they want to see, and I couldn't figure out how everyone knew all of these movies that were playing.  Then it hit me: they have seen commercials for them.  Of course!  :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #885 on: January 05, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »
From what I have read, lots of those plastic bags will end up in the ocean.  I just found some horrific pictures of "islands of plastic", but decided not to post them here.

I use biodegradable plastic bags, but someone in the MMM forum pointed out that it probably takes a heck of a long time for them to degrade.  So I think I will switch to using paper bags.
To make it short, biodegradable doesnt really work because most of nature isnt a bioreactor with optimum conditions.

The plastic sea is a big problem, but the ultra-tiny plastic thats left after it has broken down is likely to be more devastating then the bags, who just end up suffocating mammals or starving fish (because the bag-parts are in the stomach.)
There are beaches where 10% of the "sand" is plastic worn down. And even smaller it gets into plankton. Plastic is basically oil which is basically toxic *hint hint* and even if not, disturbing normal functions of the body. You do NOT want to damage plankton. Really. Even if you forget that plankton gets eaten by fish which gets eaten by us and the plastic ends up in us.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: January 05, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »

This being my first full year in the working world, and now married, I'm having the darnedest time figuring out our correct withholding for 2015.  I've played around with a few scenarios, but they all involve lots of calculator work.  Would you be interested in sharing your spreadsheet? :)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #887 on: January 05, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »

This being my first full year in the working world, and now married, I'm having the darnedest time figuring out our correct withholding for 2015.  I've played around with a few scenarios, but they all involve lots of calculator work.  Would you be interested in sharing your spreadsheet? :)

Start with an approximation of what you'll be spending through the year (add to that your need to top off the e-fund if applicable) then run the calculations until you get to how much you forecast you will need. The rest is savings (HSA, IRA, 401k, Taxable, etc) and taxes.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #888 on: January 05, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »

It's not much of a spreadsheet.  I start with expected income.  Then take away 2 personal exemptions.  Then take away the standard deduction (we can't itemize).  Then take away the $2,500 deduction for student loan interest (well, a bit less this year, finally!).  Last take away what we're putting into the 401-K and pre-tax medical.

What's left I calculate the 10% tax bracket, the 15%, and the 25%.

All of the actual numbers can be found using Google search.

Once you have the total amount of your expected tax, my recommendation would be to use Paycheck-city (a popular paycheck estimator) to adjust withholdings for just one of you until you find the setting that will have about the right amount of federal taxes withheld, then set your W-4 to that amount.

Right now ours is very easy because we're on one income.  But if that changes I plan on leaving DH's paycheck alone and adjusting mine to whatever is needed so we don't owe come tax time next year.

Did all of that make sense?

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #889 on: January 05, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »
uhhhh... how did a thread that's "just for fun" turn into one about tax preparation? Weirdos :)

(confession, I also have a personalized tax preparation spreadsheet, and have roughed in my 2014 numbers while I wait impatiently for the slips to arrive).

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #890 on: January 05, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
uhhhh... how did a thread that's "just for fun" turn into one about tax preparation? Weirdos :)

(confession, I also have a personalized tax preparation spreadsheet, and have roughed in my 2014 numbers while I wait impatiently for the slips to arrive).

I tought tax planning was for fun :/

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #891 on: January 05, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »

I tought tax planning was for fun :/
Haha I do find it fun!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #892 on: January 05, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
I never knew that finding out that other people have a tax spreadsheet too would make me so happy. **tears up**  ;)
Thanks, guys.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #893 on: January 06, 2015, 08:55:37 AM »

It's not much of a spreadsheet.  I start with expected income.  Then take away 2 personal exemptions.  Then take away the standard deduction (we can't itemize).  Then take away the $2,500 deduction for student loan interest (well, a bit less this year, finally!).  Last take away what we're putting into the 401-K and pre-tax medical.

Once you have the total amount of your expected tax, my recommendation would be to use Paycheck-city (a popular paycheck estimator) to adjust withholdings for just one of you until you find the setting that will have about the right amount of federal taxes withheld, then set your W-4 to that amount.

Right now ours is very easy because we're on one income.  But if that changes I plan on leaving DH's paycheck alone and adjusting mine to whatever is needed so we don't owe come tax time next year.

Yes thank you :)  In the last few months I just learned what exactly the personal exemption and standard deduction are, and learned that the published tax brackets are not gross income, but actually adjusted gross income, which makes a HUGE difference.  I'm a newb at this, so thanks for your basic walk through.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #894 on: January 06, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »
Yes thank you :)  In the last few months I just learned what exactly the personal exemption and standard deduction are, and learned that the published tax brackets are not gross income, but actually adjusted gross income, which makes a HUGE difference.  I'm a newb at this, so thanks for your basic walk through.
You've almost got it right. Published tax brackets are on taxable income. Adjusted gross income (AGI) is the figure at the bottom of the first page of the 1040 - your gross income, minus what are referred to as above "above the line" deductions. Your taxable income is AGI minus exemptions and standard or itemized deductions. Your tax is assessed on your taxable income, not your AGI.

You should keep in mind that to qualify for some deductions and credits, your AGI has to be below a certain amount. I have never seen a tax deduction or credit that uses the taxable income as the criteria for qualification (not to say that they don't exist, but I wouldn't count on it). Therefore, doing things like donating to charity will decrease your overall tax liability if you can itemize your deductions, but they do not decrease your AGI, and hence do not help you qualify for such deductions and credits.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #895 on: January 06, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »

You're welcome.  As Johnny said, it can be more complicated than I said, but that is the basics.  There are things that you can deduct at some income levels but not others.  There's the ACA subsidies if you are low enough income.  There are tax credits for having qualifying children.  There is the possibility that you have enough itemized deductions to itemize, in which case you'd use that amount instead of the standard deduction.  There are many of these deductions that have income phaseouts, so if you are higher income you may not be able to claim certain things.  There is the EIC (earned income credit) for low income taxpayers.

But, as long as you know your situation, the rest doesn't matter as much.  I made assumptions based on you just getting married and being on this board - that you aren't either high or low income, that you don't have a large mortgage (being the most common way people qualify for itemized deductions), that you don't have kids (yet).

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: January 06, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »
But, as long as you know your situation, the rest doesn't matter as much.  I made assumptions based on you just getting married and being on this board - that you aren't either high or low income, that you don't have a large mortgage (being the most common way people qualify for itemized deductions), that you don't have kids (yet).

You made good assumptions.  I think walking myself through a 1040 this year with help with the terms.  (thanks Johnny for some clarification).  First time not filing as a dependent this year, so will learn those details I think.  We are smack in the middle of 15% tax bracket, no mortgage, and no kids.  Your simple "spreadsheet" is perfect for me.

To everyone else, back on topic, sorry for taking this train so far off the tracks (but thank you for the responses!).

mochila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #897 on: January 08, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
Gah! Those statements are poky. Not a one of my tax documents has arrived, but I've filled out what I could of my tax return from my 12/31/14 pay stub. Should be just about reckoned up.

Another "problem": when you generate so little trash (one of those supermarket grocery bags every 2-3 weeks) because you buy nothing new and eat your vegetables with their peels, among other habits, yet you're paying $20/month for municipal trash pickup that has no opt-out option.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: January 08, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Not being able to compare clothes with colleagues (all women office) because though your clothes are nicer, they came off of thrift store racks. If and when I join the comparison conversation, I need to do prior homework about where that dress gets sold in retail and at what price. Since thats too much of a bother, I just don't join most conversations.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #899 on: January 08, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
Not being able to compare clothes with colleagues (all women office) because though your clothes are nicer, they came off of thrift store racks. If and when I join the comparison conversation, I need to do prior homework about where that dress gets sold in retail and at what price. Since thats too much of a bother, I just don't join most conversations.
Dude here, but I had a similar issue a while back.  I bought a pair of Express pants at a thrift store (something like $4), and a guy at work recognized them and talked about how expensive they were and he likes that brand too so "it's worth it."  I was genuinely curious what they cost new and he estimated $80 and my eyes widened in horror.  I think he was confused.

I spilled bacon grease all over them and ruined them a few weeks later.  Eh.  I didn't really enjoy how they fit anyway.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!